Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi's new v8

good42good42 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Audi
Are there and problems with the new 5 valve Audi
4.2 V8 engine

Comments

• bollingerbollinger Member Posts: 207
    Been in the A8 for 3-4 years. Most people seem happy with it.
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    Are you interested in purchasing a certain model of Audi with the V8? If so, you can find a topic where folks are discussing the vehicle by entering the model name into the Topic Search feature on the left side of this page.

For instance entering A8 in that window finds four active topics in Sedans discussing that vehicle.

On the other hand, if you already own an Audi and are having problems with that engine, this is the right conference for you. But we need more details if you are looking for assistance with engine problems.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • good42good42 Member Posts: 2
    The Audi A8 is a new engine for 2000. It now has 5 valves per cylinder. I have this engine. I'm trining to learn if there is any data available regarding the reliability of the this engine. I'm aware that this data is not readily available because of the newness of the product but I keep trying.
  • bollingerbollinger Member Posts: 207
    It's still not new. Despite what you say. A high up at my company has an A8 with that 4.2 engine from 3 or 4 years ago. And I don't think it was new then.

It was released in 4.2 and 3.7 form when the A8 was new, which was quite some time ago.

Audi did retune the engine to 310HP at some point. The 300HP tune is now in the A6 (4.2).
  • v8q2v8q2 Member Posts: 3
    Your both kind of right....

Actually the Audi V8 engine is about 12 years old. It was first introduced in the Audi "V8"
    of which I have a 1990 and a 1991 Model. The engine was 3.6 liters with 240/250 hp/lbft.

In 92 Audi re-engineered by increasing bore/stroke to give it 4.2 liters and 276/280 hp/lbft.

When the A8 came out in 96/97 ? the 4.2 was re-tuned to produce 300/295 hp/lbft (I'm close
    on the lbft figure, but not positive of the exact number here)

Last year I believe the engine went from 4 valve
    heads to 5 valve heads like all the other Audi engines.
    If you would like more details on Audi's, try going to www.audifans.com I've been a member for
    about 8 years. The v8 list will cover V8 and A8 models.

See you there. On that list I can be contacted
    as mlarosa@sun.com
    Both my cars have over 100k miles with no
    major issues. Neither car burns oil.

I've seen them with over 200k with no major failures.

Just make sure at 60k you change the timing belt.

This is an interference engine.
This discussion has been closed.