Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

car doors freezing shut.

ponytailponytail Member Posts: 1
Hi folks. got a question for you. what is the
best method to prevent car(or truck) doors from
freezing shut in midwest winters?

Comments

• bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    The best way which worked for me was to apply a silicone spray onto the weather stripping.
    hope this helps
  • dhoffdhoff Member Posts: 282
    I used to suffer form this for years. I live in
    the upper midwest and used to live in apartments
    where I had to park outside.

The only solutions I have found are first, don't
    go to the car wash when there is going to be a cold snap. This is much easier said than done, because it always seems like when it is "warm", it snows, and when it clears up, it's COLD!

Second, what really solved the problem for me is
    parking in a garage. The moisture seems to dry out better overnight, and although it's not heated it stays warm enough (usually) that I don't have trouble.

Then there's always the third option of moving
    south. ;-)

Dave
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    Wife's car doors freeze up. Am going to try Ignition Wire Dryer on them! Should displace the moisture and leave a weather resistant coating on the door gasket. Will let you guys know how it works. Long shot, but I have tryed everything else.
    Pat
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    that comes in a tube works a lot better than the aerosol spray. Don't be too shocked when you find it cost about $15 a tube, it lasts a long time.

Harry
  • packman2packman2 Member Posts: 13
    I would be sure that the person you are recommending silicone from the tube to make sure that it isn't caulking,and it is just a paste,,or they would have some real door problems,I live in Wisconsin,and like a earlier sugestion,we don't wash our cars when it is going into a real cold snap,another way is when you wash your car,put a little piece of duct tape on the outside door lock key hole first,and after,spray dry graphite or W.D 40 on your lock parts,plus what was said about the door weatherstrips,
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    Brand name Syl-Glyde was an old one, now I have been getting some from Wurth-Illinois Corp.

Harry
  • adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    From NAPA. 4 oz. about 6 bucks. Since this is from NAPA you should be able to get it for about $4 somewhere else. Thanks for the tips on using the stuff.

Al
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    BMW sells a rubber treatment called "Rubber Care". It comes in a 1.2 oz. tube and works great to prevent weatherstrips from icing up and sticking. MSRP is $7.50. Highly recommended.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    G.M. recommends dielectric silicone grease P.N. 12345579 or equivalent for weatherstrip conditioning & preserving.
This discussion has been closed.