Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

OBD-II scanners

vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
To my surprise, I failed to locate a topic on OBD2
scanners at Edmund's. Surely there must be people
here who have or are considering these scanners.

I have a 2000 Toyota Camry and a 1999 Dodge Grand
Caravan Sport. Any advice and expereinces with OBD2
scanners are invited.

Comments

• butch11butch11 Member Posts: 153
    There are a lot of systems out there. I would suggest getting one that can record the codes in real time and store them on a laptop hard disk. Chances are you will have a whole flurry of codes popping up if you ever have a problem. Unfortuately most scanners are set up by car manufacturer. I think it a fair guess to say you may never need one on the toyota but well your DC product - let's just say it has a checkered history. Make certain whomever changes your DC ATF uses the correct ATF-pricey stuff-$8/quart-some dealers/repair people use much cheaper atf-takes about -3to 5K and good bye tranny.

Check out www.autotap.com and use your search engine to find others.
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    Chrysler vehicles have a built-in self diagnostic program which is activated by turning the ignition switch on-off-on-off-on. This allows you to see if any codes are activated.

Chrysler code retrieval:
    http://www.batauto.com/Chrysler.html

The same site has some info on Toyota, I don't know if this information covers your particular year car.

Toyota code retrieval:
    http://www.batauto.com/Toy.html
  • bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    ...on "Check", "Engine" or "Light". Scanners and there usage have been discussed here for awhile now in the "Check Engine Light" topic. Please continue this discussion there.

There is also a topic in the archives, I think with "codes" in the title. Archive topics will show up using the search feature.

Your host, Bruce.
This discussion has been closed.