Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic

Comments

• kkfkkf Member Posts: 6
    Sorry Pam, but I really like the color! BTW, I have seen a few of those mysterious green metallic versions on the road here - not my taste, I'm afraid.

After one weekend and 100-plus miles of driving, I must say that I'm very happy with the car. It's got more than enough power to get me up the hills and on and off the freeway with ease, and it's easy to maneuver. IMHO, the fact that the power steering seems to kick in when the car is moving slowly (in parking lots, etc.) is a real plus.

The only (very minor) comments I'd make to Honda for improvement so far have to do with the positioning of the cupholders (right in front of the CD player and a little far below the dash for my liking, and a little more interior noise than I'm used to - but then, I'm used to my Camry.

My 16-year old son is walking on air - he can hardly wait to get his license (probably within the next two months) so that he can claim the car as his own (if I don't decide to keep it for myself!)

Thanks for your help!
  • pam2pam2 Member Posts: 185
    Kkf,

I'm happy for you! I sure would like to have power steering on mine. That's my biggest complaint! Very hard to get out of tight spots. But OK other than that.

I agree about the cup holders, except I don't have a CD player, so that space is just empty in my car (I put a little kleenex box there).

Hope you like it for a long time!
  • eajohnsoneajohnson Member Posts: 9
    Pam -

I know its unlikely that a lot of Canadian
    DXs are going to get wrecked in your neck of
    the woods. :) My point was that there doesn't
    seem to be anything about having a manual
    tranny which is an impediment to fitting
    power steering. My bet would be that you could
    fit parts originally from a USA civic with
    auto transmission.

Fellow HB owners -

I've corrected one of my peeves with my civic
    by equipping it with a cargo light. It took
    about 2hrs, a light fixture from an old
    Civic, and a lot of head scratching since the
    wiring harness in the 98 unfortunately is
    not 'cargo light ready'. I had to run a single
    (3A fuse-protected) positive wire back from the
    main engine bay fuse box. In the end it was a
    very clean install though. The only 'hard'
    modification I did was to drill a hole for a
    pin switch (auto security type) in the left
    speaker trim plate (and the plate under that -
    both plastic). I could have made it cleaner
    if I'd had a wiring diagram to utilize whatever
    circuit gets closed/opened when the hatch is
    opened (there must be one -- dash light), or
    if I'd been willing to drill into metal
    (I wasn't). Anyway, bottom line is that this
    is a very do-able modification and it makes a
    huge difference if you live out in the country
    where there are no lights around. :)
  • eajohnsoneajohnson Member Posts: 9
    Oh yes, and to kkf on the topic of whether his
    honda is a US model or Canadian model -

vehicles models are determined by the market they
    are produced for, not their country of manufacture. Unless your vehicle made it into the
    USA by a very unusual route, yours will be
    a USA model not a Canadian model. You could
    probably figure it out based on warning labels
    etc where there would be different requirements
    for different countries, even if the speedo had
    been changed from a Canadian (km/h) to USA (mph)
    model.
  • kkfkkf Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the info - that's what I thought. One last question - for those of you who are owners of or have experience with the automatic transmission...I've noticed that unlike any other automatic I've ever driven, my "new" Civic's transmission lever will pull all the way down to the "D3" setting without stopping and engaging at the normal drive setting of "D4". My Toyota, plus all American cars I've driven, will stop at the normal drive setting, and require you to "push the button" to down-shift the transmission - preventing you from accidentally over-revving the engine.

My first time out with this car, I didn't realize I was in the lower gear until I was almost on the freeway on ramp (whew!).

Is this a normal Honda feature, or is there something wrong with my car?
  • bowe2bowe2 Member Posts: 2
    Isellhondas or anyone else,

Where can I find more info. on the 99 Si Coupe?? If they are redesigning it for 2000, will there be a new Si model then?? Someone earlier mentioned some online pix, where did you see those??

MB

P.S. I have a '91 Si hatchback, no rust, 93,000 miles....Anyone interested??
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    kkf,

Nothing would have happened, so no "whew" was necessary. You probably would have noticed more engine noise than usual, and would have simply moved the shifter into d4. People drive in D3 all of the time, and nothing is hurt.

bowe2,

The new Si Coupe is expected to arrive in Feb. You will have a strong market for your 91 Si. these are HARD to find and are in high demand!
    Isellhondas,

What are your thoughts on the new Civic Si? Any notion of the MSRP yet?

I saw on Honda's web site the new blue color and it looks great!!

By the way, I'm still loving my Civic. Had to put a new tire on it, though - Got a nail. :(
    The new Civic Si will be another mixed blessing for us.

It will be a fantastic car, but will probably be in short supply. This gets frustrating.

No idea what the MSRP will be, however, they will probably be a waiting list at that price.

Quit driving through construction sites!
    Isellhondas,

How do you think the Si will compare to the Acura Integra? It almost sounds like it will be a similar car with the improvements - and maybe at a similar price.

Beats me where I picked up a nail!! I was at the park taking a walk and when I went back to my car, it was nearly flat! But the folks at Discount Tire took excellent care of me - even though I arrived an HOUR after they closed!!
    It's funny you should mention Discount Tire.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a large screw sticking out of one of my rear tires. I pulled into Discount Tire. They fixed it quickly, and told me " No Charge". I informed them that these were the factory tires and that I hadn't bought them there. It didn't matter, they refused payment!

Will I remember this when one of our many cars needs tires? Sure I will, and that's what they are counting on...SMART!

Back to the subject...Sorry!

Well, the Civic SI may canaballize sales away from the Integra, who knows?

It will be one slick little car in any event!
    Yeah, Discount Tire is a good place to do business. They always treat me right, no matter what I need. It's good to know that they are like that all over the country.

Do Honda people generally know much about Acuras? I mean, do you share information since they are both basically Honda?

What I'm wondering is, if the new Si is very much like the Integra in capability, performance, and price, how would a person choose between them? No offense to Honda, but I think if all things are equal, I would rather have the Acura name. Know what I mean? How do you intend to promote the Si over the Integra?
  • twin3twin3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks,

I need some advice on prices. I am looking into buying a used hatchback, which seem to be in short supply. The dealer offered a 1998 DX with A/C, automatic transmission, mudflaps and 1,300 miles ($12,200). This is their rental car. How does one price a car like that. I checked the Blue Book on the web and Edmund's but can't find a price.

Also, I am used to manual cars: any comments on the automatic?

Thanks a lot.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Hmmm, this is tough. A rental car is a used car in my book, no matter how few miles are on it. So, I looked at an invoice price of $10,856 and added $718 as the invoice for the cost of automatic transmission. Since this is a used car, obviously you're not going to pay the destination charge.

Honda has the irritating (IMHO) practice of adding the AC at the dealer and not having a price one can check, so let's ballpark $1000 for AC. This brings you up to $12,574.

Now, looking at the mileage. Edmunds uses .08 cents a mile for the adjustment rate. 1200 miles x .08 = $96. But this was a rental car and I'm willing to bet that the little old lady from Pasadena was not the only one to rent it. :-) So I would triple the mileage and make it $288.

So, I'd consider the base price $12,286. Frankly, that's the most I would pay but regional and other factors play into this. Please, keep us posted on your decision. FYI, I took my pricing info from our 1998 Civic DX pricing.

What do you think, isellhondas?

carlady/host
  • abbaabba Member Posts: 17
    to isellhondas:

Has Honda changed the life-cycle of the Civic line
    from 4 to 5 years?
    Abba,

Why do you ask that? Have you heard something?
    That's not a bad price for that hatchback.

These cars hold their value like no other. I hope it's not already sold if you want it.

As far as a four year cycle...Who knows?

I figured that the 99 Civic would have no changes from the 98 but ther are enough changes to make me wonder.

The word is that the 2000's will be restyled.

I would bet my money that that will be the case but we will find out!
    I've got the feeling that *every* model for 2000 will be restyled!

carlady/host
    I don't think the Accord will be restyled since it was just done for 1998. But certainly the Civic and Integra!!
  • zlzzlz Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to decide between two Civic DX, both
    1991, one with 46k miles for $5900 and the other
    with 108k for $3900 (all dealer price). We are
    buying it for our teenage son to drive between
    home and school. Any advice would be appreciated.
    zlz,

I would probably go with the 46K one. My last car had 119,000 miles on it and was starting to need things replaced just as routine maintenance. Like the clutch, radiator, etc. You could easily spend that $2,000 difference on things like that if you buy a car with over 100K miles on it.
  • RankledRankled Member Posts: 15
    I agree with Pam that buying the 1991 Honda Civic DX with 46k miles may be the way to go. But it is also advisable to have car mechanically inspected to ensure that it is in good working order and have the mileage verified. After all, odometer fraud takes place. A car odometer may be sometimes turned back so that it can be sold for a higher price. A car can have low mileage but that doesn't say how it has been driven. City mileage is much harder on any car than highway mileage.Also, check to make sure that the used car you're buying is not an insurance write-off.
  • zelzel Member Posts: 10
    Hmmm, a 91 car with only 46k miles? I suspect that the odometer was turned back. You should have a mechanic check it out before buying. I would look under the engine first for any sign of oil leak. If it's only driven 46k mile, this car should look relatively new. Just make sure that you do a thourough check.
    Don't forget to check the book value on the car using price guides. Any price should be negotiable except at a one price dealer.Go through the used car section on this site. Check newspaper ads to see what similar cars are being sold for in your area.Adjust the price for anything that has to be repaired.If they won't let you get it inspected, then walk away.
    Oh, this sounds so familiar!

Everybody wants low miles, yet when a low mileage car shows up, they suspect something is wrong!

For crying out loud, 46,000 miles on a 91 car really isn't that unusual!

Turning back odometers went out thirty years ago.

Yes, miles are important, but the condition of the car is even more important.

Have it checked out by a Honda dealer. The small cost is well worth it!
    Yep, we want our cake and to eat it too! :-)

carlady/host
    Just as long as nobody turned your frosting back?

;)
    I don't mean to be skeptical about used cars with low mileage but where I live there have been many cases where that problem has occured in the past couple years. Better to be safe than sorry. Let me explain what the law is here. Suppose I unknowingly bought a car with a turned back odometer, if I decide to later resell it I am legally bound to inform the purchaser of the true mileage.
  • zelzel Member Posts: 10
    Yes, it's better to be safe than sorry.
    I don't believe whatever "Isellvolkswagons" said earlier "Turning back odometers went out thirty years ago."
    What I meant to say was that turning back odometers used to be rampant.

Odometers are highly tamper resistant and have been that way since the seventies.

Also, the laws are so strict that only a fool would turn back their odometer.

I guess a person could pull the fuse that runs the speedometer and odometer if he or she were a real crook. They could put 50,000 miles on the car, and re connect the fuse.

They would then sign, under penality of perjury, an odometer statement when they sell or trade the car. I guess there are people crooked/dumb enough to do this...

Bottom line, if you don't feel good about the used car or suspect something is wrong - PASS, there are lots more to pick from.

Oh, Zel...Isellvolkswagons? THAT will be the day! I don't even like selling the used ones that come in!
    I know this is a little premature, but I would like some of your expert advice. :)

Since 1999 is the last year for this Civic, when can I start looking for deep discounts on close-out? I may trade my 1996 Hatch on a 1999 if the price and financing are right. Would like to upgrade to power steering and 14" wheels, and hopefully snag a purple one.

Also, what about the sedans and coupes? Much chance of big discounts on them?

FYI, at my local dealer, the close out 1997 Accord LX 5-speeds were going for $16,000 just before the new 1998's came out. Sure wish I could have afforded one!! That's a good price, right?

Pam
    You sound like you are an ethical person. You are right that there are some people who would do anything for a quick buck and to pass on a used car if uncertain. The reason why I suggested odometer verification is that I remember one case where this was used to get a used vehicle returned to a major dealership. The turned back odometer was discovered by a another dealer who was servicing the vehicle as the one who sold it didn't verify the mileage.
  • billysbillys Member Posts: 11
    I sell my 1995 Hyundai Accent Hatchback. It is a great car, average EPA milage is 30 miles/gal. See my page, http://webideas.com/car for more information. Thanks!
  • diciedicie Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,

Does anyone know if there are any price references on the web for Honda dealer-installed options (A/C for example). It makes the haggling difficult if I have no point of reference for dealer's cost.

Thanks
  • trentaotrentao Member Posts: 1
    In reference to post #241........."I hear ya loud and clear!" I've been trying to find that information on the web for over 2 years now! No luck. If ANYBODY out there can help us on this matter it would be GREATLY appreciated. By the way, I got a 'best' price quote from a Honda dealer once, and he would not take LESS than $1250. for dealer installed AC on a Civic Hatchback! I bitched about the cost, but he said I would pay even more at other dealers. This is nothing but a big #%*!^*##*! scam! Isn't it???????? That AC unit absolutely CANNOT cost the dealer anymore than $600. Could it? Let's get down to reality with these Honda dealers and help each other out on this matter. Bye.
  • bigcacbigcac Member Posts: 2
    If u wanna see some tyte [non-permissible content removed] modified civics go to www.tmkoncept.cjb.net. TEAM KONCEPT R%N!!!
    dicie, you've put your finger on my pet peeve with Honda. Why is this simple question (how much for AC) so difficult to answer? And why not just install the AC at the factory like other dealers? This would leave the dealer's mechanics free to service cars faster.

carlady/host
    My pet peeve with Honda is the colors on the Civic Coupe. They haven't changed the colors for 3 or 4 years IN A ROW!!! We still have black, white, red, green, and silver. What exactly is the deal here? I also see that the Hatchback colors didn't change for 1999. I haven't been watching them like I have the coupe, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Hatchback has not changed colors either. The Accord colors are nothing to get excited about, as well.

OK. I feel better now.
    From my perspective it is SO funny to see how some people (sorry, but mostly women) can get so hung up over color!

Now most shoppers are at least a little flexable when it comes to colors. For others, it is, by far, the MOST important thing!!

This drives me nuts with used cars. They will want a certain make and model, but it HAS to be black!

What a life...
    Isellhondas,

LOL! I think we've had this discussion before!!!

Yes, color is important. A person's car is part of his/her life. We look at it every day. Color helps express our personality. Some colors are just beautiful, while others are butt-ugly!

However, my big complaint about Honda right now is that they're offering the SAME 5 colors year after year after year. How dull! Give us some variety! Give us some choice! Update with the times! How annoying to purchase a 1999 Civic Coupe and have it look identical to one purchased in 1996.

As for the Accord... GEEZ! Let's see... we can choose from white, almost-white, almost-white, black, almost-black, and almost-black. White, cream, silver - how boring!! Black, black-green, black-purple - how dark!!! Can't even tell that it's not black unless it's in bright sunlight! Why bother!

Now, color isn't THE most important thing in a car. I would never buy a Ford just because I like the color. But once I decide on the car I want, based on quality, value, reliability, it would be nice if a good color could come with it.

Does this shed any light for you on the subject of color? :)
  • shawnmaloneshawnmalone Member Posts: 71
    I sold my 1988 Civic DX hatchback today. It was white, for those of you who are interested in colors. I bought it a year old for $8,000 and other than routine maintenance like oil changes (plus replacing the CV joints) it gave me more than 133,000 miles without any trouble. It was fun to drive, very economical, and started right up every time. I'll miss it.
    BTW, a used car dealer gave me $900. That was about the wholesale cost, and the clutch is about shot (never replaced.
    Shawn,

What made you give up the car? And what did you get to take it's place?
    I left my color comments just to hear your reaction. It's been awhile!

Oh, I would agree with you to a point.

Honda likes to keep things simple by not making a ton of different colors. Hopefully everyone will like one or more of them. They do throw in a couple of new ones once in awhile.
  • shawnmaloneshawnmalone Member Posts: 71
    Why did I sell the Honda? Because once I replaced the clutch, I figured that it would be time to replace the radiator, certain brake parts, and timing belt soon ... then the air-conditioner, a must in Austin, Texas...I just figured that after eleven years and 133,000 that the repair bills were going to start to rival a car payment. Plus, I have never in my life bought a brand new car, and I'm thinking that's something I might want to do before I turn 40.
    What did I replace it with? I haven't bought one yet. That's why I'm all over the forums in the Edmunds Town Hall, trying to decide what to buy.
    Well... I'm honored that you were thinking about me! :)

I understand simplicity, but Honda is delving into monotony with the Civic Coupe. I mean, REALLY! No color change in 4 years??? Come on, guys!

Is there someone at Honda I can complain to? :)
    They did change the green color a bit!
    Pppffffppfff! Not enough!! But I do like the new green on the EX sedan.

How about a nice blue? Or maybe purple? Gold? New Penny Copper? Anything!!! PLEASE!!!!!
  • aldegennaldegenn Member Posts: 4
    Hi! I just checked out my local Honda dealer and found they had no hatchbacks on the lot. The salesman told me that's because it has been discontinued.
    That doesn't match anything I'm reading on Edmund or any other site.
    I think he's either mistaken or misleading. Can anybody confirm that the Civic Hatch is still being made?
    Discontinued??? I could see them maybe discontinuing it for 2000 when the new models come out. But the Honda web site still shows a Civic Hatchback.

Where's Isellhondas? He can tell us!!
  • yoredyored Member Posts: 12
    I am looking for a small reliable, parkable and not a break the bankable car. I will be responding to on-call hospital needs shortly in NYC and the Honda Civic seems to fit the bill. I have been told to check the mid 90's vintage. Unfortunately I don't know much about the various years/models changes,known bug-a-boos,recalls etc.I have been warned that the air bags are a favorite of our ever popular break-in artists.I have also been warned that the good rep on these cars can lead to an over valuation and over priced cars.A friend of mine with a stripped 93 civic suggests digging a little deeper for the extras because the base vehicles are a little sparten
This discussion has been closed.