Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic

Comments

• pam2pam2 Member Posts: 185
    Yored,

I own a 1996 Civic DX Hatchback. My only complaint about it is that it doesn't have power steering - only the automatics in that year had power steering.

Regarding extras, there are none on the hatchback. It only comes stripped down with roll-up windows, regular locks, etc. No power anything.

The current generation started in 1996 and the model is due to change in 2000. The previous generation was from 1992 to 1995. I'm sure it's a good car, too. But the door handles are sideways and are a little awkward to open if you use the wrong hand.

If you decide to go with a sedan or coupe, you can get the LX or EX models, which do have the power accessories. Additionally, the EX models have more horsepower (127 vs. 106 in the others). My boyfriend has the EX at 127 hp and I have a DX at 106 hp and we really can't tell a lot of difference.

Hope this helps you.

But it's good, reliable transportation for a reasonable price. I paid $9,995 for mine in September with 24K miles on it and it's in perfect condition (looks brand new).
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Civic hatchbacks are still alive and well. They have been hard to come by and are not as popular as they once were. Still, they are great cars and appeal to lots of folks. Somebody should kick that dumb salesman in the butt!

Newsflash...I now hear that the rumors are true. No redesign of the popular Civics until 2001!
  • aldegennaldegenn Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, Pam and isellhondas. I figured that guy was just trying to sell what was on the lot.
  • shlewisshlewis Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to buy a Honda Civic DX Hatchback. I got lots of information from the Edmunds website but couldn't find the invoice cost of the air conditioning. Air conditioning isn't included with optional features. Am I missing something?
  • yored1yored1 Member Posts: 1
    Yes it did Pam thanks for the effort.

If I might, I'd like to instigate a dialog amongst you learned Honda Civic people about which particular year and model was your fav and why....I am not shopping new here and might gleen enough info from you folks to find an "older" car that may actually be the best buy on the lot!

Thanks again.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    shlewis, I'm sorry to say you aren't missing anything. Honda AC is installed after the car is delivered to the local dealer, rather than following the standard industry practice of installing AC at the manufacturing site.

Consequently, the price can vary from dealer to dealer.

carlady/host
    Isellhondas,

What do you mean the new generation won't be out until 2001??? Honda has always updated the model every 4 years like clockwork (except for the Prelude that one time). But Accords and Civics are always on schedule. What's up? This is the first I've heard of it!! I'm horrified! Do you have any more details?
    Yored,

In my opinion, the Civics just get progressively better with each new generation. More power, better handling, more style, more options. My first Honda was a new 1986 Civic. Back then they only came in a 4 door sedan. There was no DX, LX, or EX versions. It was plain-jane with no choice. You could take it or leave it. They have truly come a long way!!
  • yoredyored Member Posts: 12
    Some friends of mine and I will start the hunt on Saturday for the very rare, some say mythical, affordable low mileage Honda 3 Door Civic.
    What is affordable? Pam's near ten grand ransom for a (for real..?) 1996, twenty something k HX is redlining my used car universe. But it makes a nice bench mark. One friend already owns a 1993 Civic 3Dr. So I will have some help. I am not necessarily intending to buy directly from a lot unless we are talking some kind of service plan...that works for me..not them.
    My sister made an interesting point last night, a former Honda owner herself, to wit: "Get power steering, people who drive rack and pinion do a lot of highway driving and have large country parking spaces that they wheel into....you are hunting for parking on the streets of Manhattan..."
    She may have an issue here, if there is a world of difference with ease of parking, even with a small car like the Civic, then power steering would be just as important for urban driving as say, AC would be to somebody in south Texas.
    Anything specific that I should look out for?
    Actually my car is a DX, not an HX. But I truly paid $9,995 with less than 24K miles.

Definitely try to get power steering. In the 1996 like mine, the power steering is only available on the automatic transmission. But models after mine offer the DX manual with power steering - I'm just not sure which year they started. Even though I live in Texas (the land of the so-called wide open spaces), it is inconvenient to have rack & pinion steering. I sometimes find myself in a tight spot that's hard to get out of.

Good luck on your search.
    Thanks again Pam...tomarrow we start our search in Brooklyn and Staten Island. Just to get the feel of what is out there...shame about the availabilty of power steering being coupled with the automatic...I was kind of looking forward to the 5 speed that I have heard so much about...we'll see and I will keep you all abreast of the developements.
    It's not the end of the world.

The 99 Civics went through some cosmetic and interior changes that caused me to think that the 2000 models wouldn't be changed. I was right!

You should be happy! Your 1996 will look just like a 2000 model! Besides, you might not like the new model anyway!
    Isellhondas,

Well, maybe "horrified" was too strong a word. :)

But, I was just SURE that the Civics would change for 2000. I've been considering buying a 1999 (for some power steering) when they are closed out for the new model 2000's. Now there probably won't be any big sales since the cars will just be the same.

I even considered buying a 2000 if I hit the jackpot at work and get a big raise. But only if it's a new body style. I look at it this way: The 2000 model will look just like my old 1996. I'm sure I'll like the new style - I always do!! :)

I wonder if Honda is going to stop changing the models every 4 years or if this is just a fluke.

And... It seems like poor marketing strategy on Honda's part. They won't have a new style to tout the year 2000. They'll all be just like the 1999's. Not a big deal.

Now, about those COLORS...
    My main complaint about my Civic Hatchback is the lack of power steering. Sometimes, it hard to get out of tight spots!

Has anyone had experience installing after market power steering? Can it even be done? Should it be done? How well does it work? How much does it cost?
    This Saturay I saw a 1999 Black Civic DX Hatchback in a Brooklyn Dealership....Five Speed, no sun roof, and variable speed power assist brakes...vented front disks...rear drums AM/FM Stereo...just under ten grand...and yes no AC but for $1100....made in Canada. I kind of liked it but what surprised me was how lousy a deal the lease return and tradeins were...sometimes a seemingly similar car two years old actually cost more! I cooled my jets and bought the Unofficial Guide to buying or Leasing a Car (Macmillan USA).At 472 pages I won't be buying very soon but I realized how ignorant I was about the many sundry ways to buy a car...and the vagueries of leasing and financing...That car was $13,105 with tax and licence (NYC).including the AC ,which was explained that it cost Honda Dealers $750.00 in the box. AC would value the car an additional $800 at trade in in three years approximately...so you are paying $200 for the luxury of AC for three years that gets used maybe four months of the year here.And it is easier to resell with AC...pretty slick pitch...anyone?
  • abbaabba Member Posts: 17
    To Isellhondas:

So the rumor is true. No new civic till 2001. Actually that's no big deal since Civics are
    already ahead of the competition (in most ways).

So tell me, what's the new Si's going for? At, above, or below retail? Have you driven one?

Thanks.
    The new SI civics will be in GREAT demand and will bring all of the money. Most dealers will probably be selling these for over MSRP.

So far, we have only had one arrive. It was pre sold a month ahead. Two more are in the pipeline. I guess I'll drive one when one arrives that hasn't been presold, if that ever happens!
  • jets1jets1 Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect in the 2001 civic hatchback.
  • kjtgkjtg Member Posts: 49
    i think honda needs to sell a well equiped hatchback. it's hard for me to believe it would not sell well.
  • dtrexdtrex Member Posts: 2
    I am contemplating purchasing a 1990 Honda Civic2DR Hatchback. Only 56,000 miles and asking price is $3995. Recent trade in. Second owner. Looks great, sounds great, runs great. Only thing i noted when looking over was that the tailpipe was all gooky on inside and oily. Also after driving on freeway w/ ac blasting, after stopping engine smoked just a tad and slight buring aroma. I know both these things are the norm on some cars and may just be looking for a ngative. This car seems to be a really good deal and it is exactly what i want in the price range i can afford. I've wanted a Honda for awhile because everyone i know who has owned one is very loyal to. Just looking for some input form others.
    Those are great cars and the price is good.

Spend the 75.00 or whatever and have a Honda dealer do a buyers inspection.

If somebody else hasn't already snapped it up!
  • dtrexdtrex Member Posts: 2
    if anybody has any thoughts about my 1990 2DR Honda Civic Hatchback purchase, please go to the sedan, honda civic conference to discuss. Thanks!!!
  • jlynn1jlynn1 Member Posts: 1
    We are thinking of purchasing a DX hatchback this summer. However, I would like to have AC installed. Does anyone know the average cost for a dealer to do this? The invoice info found here has been helpful, but I would at least like to have some idea of what AC should cost. Thanks for your replies.
  • wbukladwbuklad Member Posts: 1
    Elsewhere on this site people say dealers charge $1300 for ac. That's my experience. Honda dealers also send out advertising flyers to recent buyers with "special deals" for ac from time to time in the $650- $850 range. Sometimes they have coupons for over the counter discounts (20% - 30%) so it might pay to buy the car, and wait a few months for them to come back to you with a better deal. Since the ac is pretty lame anyways (but great mileage with it on) it pays to wait.
    I have to disagree about the a/c being lame. I have a 1996 Civic DX Hatchback and the a/c works great! Cools down really fast... and I live in Texas where the summers are intensely hot!!
  • kjtgkjtg Member Posts: 49
    I would not wan't add on air. had it twice it did not last 3 years..
    Desler installed A/C is not "add on" air! It is exactly the same as the factory unit. It IS the factory unit!

Nothing lame about it either. works great!
  • thornthorn Member Posts: 91
    I have an '84 CRX 1.5 that I bought new, having waited @ 7 months (I had paid only $500 over list and the dealer was subsequently getting much more -Honda forced them to give me a car when I complained.)

When I got the CRX I had the bottom painted white to match the rest and added 14X6 Weds Turbo wheels (alloy) and 195hr60 Yokohamas.

In 1987 I added air conditioning with a Honda coupon that installed it for @$450. The air works great and was recharged last year.

Only problem I've had has been seizing brake calipers, the result of winter salt and probably the wheels. Hasn't happened for about 7 years.

Car has 181,000 miles and original clutch - which still shows no wear. Problem is underbody rust - though the car looks pristine, the jack points and rockers are rusted out. Dealer says that's how all the CRX's go in the NE, claims the engine will last for 600,000.

Been checking out the new Hondas and like the HX, EX and SI coupes. From what I can see the HX is actually faster that the EX, but like the SI it comes in really lousy colors. The EX is too loaded - don't what garbage like a moonroof. And the SI looks like it will be extortion bait.

It is true that Honda will wait until 2001 to bring out new model Civic and especially CRX?

If that's the case I might just jump ship for a new Jetta Turbo Diesel - 50 mpg and better looks than the Civic.

btw, aren't the Civics galvanized? The Jetta is.
    Thorn,

Just a couple of comments.

I don't believe Honda is making the CRX anymore, unless they plan to bring it back in 2001. I've also heard that the new Civics won't come out until 2001.

In my opinion, ALL of Hondas colors are lousy these days. It's been my complaint for a couple of years now. At least the Si is supposed to come in a bright blue, not just the same old white, black, red, silver, dark green that we've been seeing for the past 4 years in ALL the coupe styles.

As for jumping ship to a Jetta... be careful!! I agree the new Jetta is very stylish, but they have reputations for not being reliable. It is unlikely that you would be able to get to 100,000 miles with no trouble like you would expect out of a Honda. After the excellent quality you've had with your CRX, I'm afraid you end up disappointed in a VW.

Good luck with your search!! :)
  • saturnboysaturnboy Member Posts: 89
    Thorn,

I have to agree with pam2 on the fact that a volkswagon would absolutely not be anywhere near as reliable as a honda civic. Also, Vw may give you a 10 year warranty, on the powertrain, only because you will pay a great deal more in normal operating costs to keep the vw going over a honda civic. Check out www.Intellichoice.com, good luck
    The VW lovers are listening....and they hate hearing the truth!
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    Well, the Si is also available in the "same old" black or red. Have you seen the bright blue in person? In all the magazines, it looks like a bright blue, but it's more purplish in real life.

I hope the 2001 Civic doesn't become blander like the new Accords have. I too hope they bring back the CRX.
    But this is a HONDA topic!!! They keep telling us that is we want to talk up Hondas, we need to go to a Honda topic! Surely we can bash VW's here!!! LOL!
  • pure911pure911 Member Posts: 40
    has anyone driven the Civic Si...the dealer I went to said they would only allow test drives in the Si if you are seriously considering buying it...
    (i.e. give us a 500 dollar deposit)

that is such bull!%@?...the thing is no other dealers have the Si to test drive...another dealer said their car was "at the service area and could not go out today.."

why are Honda dealers so full of themselves...they think they are so much better than any other car and therefore the consumer will deal with their antics...
    Pure911,

It's not necessarily that Honda dealers are so full of themselves. Although, I agree that it's a little much to ask for a $500 deposit in order to test drive a car.

But mostly, it's just supply and demand. There aren't many of the Si models available, so they're extra careful with the ones they have.

Same thing happened to me at a VW dealer when I wanted to test drive the New Beetle when it first came out. They had ONE on the showroom floor, and that was IT! No test drives at all. You had to put down a deposit, order the car, and wait for it to arrive before you got to drive it. At that time, if you didn't like the way it drove, you could get your deposit back.

So... it's not just Honda who does things like that.
  • thornthorn Member Posts: 91
    The Civic Si "Electron Blue" is ugly. Looks like an old Cavalier color.

Ads here show new Civic 2dr EX for $14,474. The list is 15,865 so I think that includes the destination fee.

Does that seem reasonable? The 4dr EX is 15,629 but lists ABS with the 5 sp. Is ABS now standard on the 4 dr 5sp?

Thanks
    Civic SI's are VERY few and far between.

They are also a magnet for wanna be owners!

They attract folks who simply want to go joy riding, and those who would beat the crap out of the car.

A SERIOUS buyer should have no problem being "qualified" on a car such as this.

Go into a Porsche dealer and say " Hi, I'ld like to test drive a Boxer" and find out what happens!

Sounds like you weren't too serious arter all?
    well because I own a Porsche and know the Porsche dealer, they would let me drive the car...

I went into a VW dealer for a test drive in Passat and nonchalantly asked for a spin in a New Beetle...the guy said yes and a few seconds later, we were in a red Beetle...

This is not an isolated incident with Honda. Everytime I have gone into one of their dealers the salesman is always trying to cheat me...I am sure other car companies are a little stuck up (like BMW) but they have more of a right to be(I know it sounds wrong, but their cars are just better). I just wish the Honda salesmen were more friendly.
    There is no excuse for being unfriendly and I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with Honda dealers.

My point was, there are lots of people out there who feel they need to test drive cars as a lark.

They drive cars that they know they have no use for or can't afford.

There are nice ways to try to screen out the flakes from the serious and qualified, but it can be hard.

The new SI is a wannabe magnet. I can't imagine what a Porsche salesperson has to do.
    I agree
  • karchykarchy Member Posts: 2
    hAS ANYONE BOUGHT A 1999 hONDA hATCHBACK YET? hOW DOES IT RUN WITH AUTOMATIC TRANS & AIR?
  • azninvazionazninvazion Member Posts: 15
    This whole idea of Honda not coming out with a millenium civic is just disgusting. I do not understand where the idea of 2000 being the first year in the 21st century. If you seriously think about it and do a LITTLE bit of research, you will come to the conclusion that 2000 is the LAST year in the 20TH CENTURY and 2001 is the FIRST year in the 21ST CENTURY. This means that the new civic WILL in fact be a millenium car. The idea of 2000 being the first year was created by the media and market in order to add hype to the turning of the century. Think about it, what sounds cooler? the all new 2000 Honda Civic, or the All new 2001 Honda Civic??? Give me a break, you people are just oblivious to the fact that the millenium turns January 1st 12:01 am 2001!!! So please could you stop adding fuel to the millenium fire and spread the word of this newly found information?? Thank you!!!
  • ghoshghosh Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know why Honda refuses to equip
    Civics and Accords with ABS, except the top
    of the line model? I am looking for a hatchback,
    and right now, the scales are tipping for
    a Golf, simply because of the safety features.
    15in wheels, 4 channel ABS, side airbags all
    standard features.
    can't beat that! And this is coming from a 10
    year Honda owner! I am told VWs are susceptible
    to breakdowns, but what other choice do I
    have?
    ghosh,

First of all, why do you think 15 " wheels are a "safety feature"?

A few years ago, when the ABS craze was in full swing, Honda offered ABS as an option on a bunch of their cars.

It didn't sell.

There are a lot of differing views as to the worth of ABS now.

Many insurance companies that were offering a small discount for ABS have dropped that now since studies show ABS has not reduced accidents.

Side airbags? Either the car has good side impact protection or it does not. Civics do quite well in that catagory.

Buy the steak, not the sizzle.

Volkswagens have had a dismal repair record. I keep hearing that they are better now. We will wait and see.

They were forced to go to a long warranty (read the fine print) just to try to restore come consumer confidence!

But...others will disagree...

Stick with a winner!
  • ghoshghosh Member Posts: 17
    I included the 15 in wheels as a safety feature,
    thinking they would make the car more stable/
    better handler than 13 in ones. I could be wrong, of course.
    ABS proved to be useless because people
    would mistakenly pump their brakes, thus reducing
    its effectiveness. Or, worse, they would think
    ABS would stop the car in a shorter distance.
    To me, it has proven to be an extremely
    effective safety feature and I want it in all
    my cars(my present cars, an integra and a 3.2tl,
    both have it).

I agree with you about the side airbags. Nice,
    but not a must.

VW is coming back strong. Demand also seems
    to be strong. Dealers are asking MSRP(at least)
    on almost all models, including some from
    the Audi lineup.
    the new golf has the same chassis as the New Beetle (or Audi A3), which does amazing in all crash tests...the Honda on the other hand does decidedly average...the air bags only help. the Golf is also a lot more refined in ride, rigidity, handling (at least feel, if not ultimate grip) and with VR6, acceleration...
  • washtimwashtim Member Posts: 16
    I recently inherited my father's meticulously maintained 1992 Civic Si (he kept every receipt, noted every fill-up). Except for a couple of small scratches and A/C that doesn't quite blow cold enough, it's showroom-new despite its 138,000 (mostly highway) miles. My question is: Guides offer estimates of this car's worth that differ by as much as $1,000. Any ideas on what a good price might be? I live in Seattle, if that helps.
    You have a VERY desirable car! The high miles will scare away most potential buyers, however.

I'm in the Seattle area also and get called weekly by people looking for a car like yours.

Great car, you should keep it!
  • washtimwashtim Member Posts: 16
    but the driveway's overflowing already. I'd like to see a genuine fan of Si's buy it, rather than somebody looking for cheap transport. Send those Si hunters my way ...
  • gormalmitygormalmity Member Posts: 6
    my parents just got me a civic cx, but part of the deal was i pay for the stereo. anybody know any good aftermarket systems that arent too expensive but provide decent quality sound? ive got enough money, but id rather not spend a ton of it now. thanks.
    Nick
This discussion has been closed.