Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What ever happened to the CRX/Del Sol?

demeyerdemeyer Member Posts: 2
edited February 2014 in Honda
Does anyone know what happened to the Honda Del
Sol for 1998? I didn't hear that they were planning
to pull the plug on the model, but yet I have yet
to see any information on it. I was really looking
forward to seeing a NEW re-designed model.. but..
apparently Honda has let me down.

On an unrelated topic... Is it just me, or have
the new Hondas been less and less attractive
looking? The new Prelude is downright ugly, in my
opinion. That's quite a change from having some of
the industry's better looking models only a couple
years ago.

Comments

• rmarinormarino Member Posts: 3
    It's not just you; I would like to own a Honda, but they seem to get worse looking each year.
    Bob
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    I think you may be onto something! The Del Sol isn't even featured on the Honda web page anymore. Looks like 1997 might be the last model year.
    Rumor has it that Honda is coming out with a new roadster. Perhaps that is meant to replace the Del Sol? Of course, it won't be a hatchback! :-)
  • bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    Maybe they're going to bring back the CRX??
    .....I can hope, can't I?

My '91 will need replacing in a year or so. I never really warmed up to the DelSol body style. A shame really, as Honda pulled a fast one on the insurance companies and officially badged it a CIVIC for lower rates. The CRX was labeled a "bad boy" by the insurance gurus.

I just saw a pic of the roadster on the cover of Road & Track. I think that's the end of my hatchback fantasy.
  • demeyerdemeyer Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, I really wish they would bring back the CRX. My 87 CRX Si was a great little car. Unfortunately it got ran into, and then it was an even smaller car.. :) I also had a hard time appreciating the Del Sol's body style. It's not that it was ugly, I just didn't like it.

Funny thing about the Del Sol was that it was only named that here in the states. Apparently back in the local market it was still referred to as a CRX. Regardless, I still liked the looks of the 86-91 CRX's more. Whatever happened to making a car at least RESEMBLE the previous model when redesigned, anyway?

Well, if Honda releases a roadster, maybe it'll be worthy of my consideration, so long as it doesn't look like a mini-Prelude. (Yeech) I should really give Honda SOME credit though.. the new Accord doesn't look bad.

-DM
  • zedorzedor Member Posts: 3
    I think the best looking Honda is the new body style Prelude. That is a great car reliability wise and performance wise. Who ever said that Honda just get worse looking every year is crazy, I'd like to see your girlfriend fool!
  • leifleif Member Posts: 41
    How many people have had trouble with CRX'S rusting to death? My wishbone broke, and the floor is pure rust even though the body is still shiny and smooth.
    Bummer, because I love Hondas.
  • PaRoyboyPaRoyboy Member Posts: 4
    Yep, The 1997 del Sol was the last year of that model. I owned a 95 SI for about a year until I got hit by a drunk driver. The del Sol was definately a "love it or leave it" kind of car. One magazine said it looked like the love child of Kermit and Miss Piggy! Guess they didnt like it! I loved the car, especially in the summer. The car got alot of looks with the top off. But, sales were never as strong as with the CRX. I saw a web page devoted to the Honda SSM (Sport Study Model) which was supposed to replace the del Sol. The page is no longer active though.

I have to agree with most of the replies about the Prelude...it's downright ugly. To me, the best looking Prelude was the more angles, wedge shape of the late eighties. Whats with the new taillights? They look like they were an afterthought instead of being integrated into the design. Just my opinion. Roy
    PaRoyboy,

The tailights CAN'T be any uglier than the headlights....and from the same group that did the wonderful design of the 2 door Accord and the Accura CL tail ????

Bruce.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    I guess I'm one of the "leave its" when it comes to the del Sol. We looked at it on one trip to the dealer and I found it uncomfortable for me. I'm picky but since it has been discontinued, maybe I'm not the only one? :-)
    PaRoyboy,

Thanks for the grins re. Miss Piggy's love child.
    Seriously, it was the interior of the del Sol that I couldn't take. It was too cramped, compared to my '91 CRX. I wanted to like it, especially the VTEC model (160 hp, VAROOM).
    The serious lack of storage space was also a downer. I could live wit it if everything else was outstanding but, like Carlady, I found the interior uncomfortable.

Bruce.
  • reddogreddog Member Posts: 3
    The SSM roadster is the replacement for the Del Sol. From what I've heard it should have a 2lt 200hp inline-4 DOHC VTEC and later on it may have a V5 w/250hp and it may a rear wheel drive.
    It will either be out later this year or spring of '99. I know those specs sound a little far-fetched but that's what it said at www.vtec.net There's also a rumor that there may be a '99 CRX, but there's no word about that from Honda.
This discussion has been closed.