Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW GOLF GTI

Comments

• bradhazeltinebradhazeltine Member Posts: 1
    Dear Mr. Feist:

I would appreciate knowing which dealer
    you managed to procure your Golf GLX
    from at $200 over invoice. Thank you.
    bradhazeltine@hotmail.com
  • houhahouha Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the windshields on the Golf/GTI (specifically the 2000 models) filter
    UV light? That is, will photo-voltaic cells work
    well if placed inside the car atop the dashboard?

Thanks
  • davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    I am ready to buy! How much should I pay for a 2000 GTI GLX, Green/Black leather. CD changer. I've gotten quotes from 22,800 to 23,600. Using the Edmund's formula a figure a fair price to be around 21,500? Help! Thanks!
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    I'd pay $21,500. Tell them where you got your price and that you're not budging. Just be prepared to walk out if you don't get what you want.

Another approach is to fax your specs and your price (telling them where/how you got your fair price so they know you didn't pull it out of the air) to all of the dealers in your area. CC all of them so they know who's in the game. Tell them the first dealership to take the price wins. I have seen this approach work for many people.

Good luck and please, keep us posted.

carlady/host
  • ejsejs Member Posts: 36
    Remember, Edmund's warns that you have much less opportunity to bargain on a model that is brand new, in high demand, an in short supply. Like the 2000 GTI GLX. I haven't heard to many cases of people getting much below MSRP... I got $500 off. I doubt anyone got one for $200 over.
  • wicketkeeperwicketkeeper Member Posts: 22
    I got invoice plus $750 on my 2000 GTI GLX and had to pay shipping. I don't think that was a bad deal for a car I had to order. I didn't pay any "processing fees" or any of that other garbage.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    go for it. I ended up paying $22,240 for Silver/black, but only after walking out of three dealerships and going to a fourth. Go ahead and start by offering $21,500. Worst that can happen is that they'll say no.
  • pipopipo Member Posts: 36
    I'm paying $21,544 + $395 for the CD changer + tax and tags. This comes out to $500 over invoice. For all the talk about short supply, I had no problem at all getting mine. I told the dealer what I wanted and the car was ordered from Germany. A few weeks later, the car arrived. My recommendation is that you use the free Autobytel service on the internet. Plug in your zip code and you will be referred to a local dealer who participates in the Autobytel low price, no haggle program. Its a relief not to have to play games to get a good price. But be forewarned that not all of the dealers sell at the same price; some are higher than others. But I noticed that you are from NJ, which is where I am buying my car. If you're not too far from Flemington, plug in the Flemington area code (08822) and you'll be referred to Flemington VW.
  • dhicksdhicks Member Posts: 14
    After much debate and evaluation, I finally took delivery of a 2000 GTI GLX on Saturday. I had wrestled over the question of what new car to settle on for over 2 months spanning numerous test drives with a wide range of vehicles (Audi A4 1.8T, BMW 323Ci, VW Jetta GLX VR6, 2000 Nissan Maxima SE). Some observations and comments below:

- Overall, I liked the feel of the Bimmer best. Very poised and confidence building on the road. The rear drive with balanced weight distribution made for a real thrill under hard cornering. Plus, the new coupe looks hot with a more agressive stance and new 17" alloys. On the downside, the Bimmer was the most expensive vehicle tested and I wasn't sure if the extra handling performance and label prestige justifies the $11,000CAN difference in price.

- Audi A4 was another fabulous car and the 4 cylider 1.8L turbo was a real shocker performance wise; virtually no turbo lag and lots of torque down low (2000-2500RPM) so you can jump off the lights. Nicely finished interior and distinctive styling. Regrettably, overpriced (IMHO) for what you get.

- The Jetta is essentially a Golf with 4 door and a trunk. It's a bit bigger and more urbane in it's styling. Virtually the same performance as the GTI, only you pay a $2,000 premium for the sedan stying.

The GTI won based on its performance, price, and it's quirky styling (at first I was off-put, but you grow to love it). Oh yeah, and it's practicality - the hatch has tons of storage space, and with the seats down you can cram lotsa stuff into the back. Plus the solid build, leather interior, 16" alloys and killer OEM sound system are sweet.

On the downside, torque steer and understeer are a problem (traction control helps, but...), hatchbacks are generally looked upon as econoboxes, and the insurance is high (lots of theft in my neck of the woods).

Paid $29,000CAN including Freight and PDI here in Ottawa, Canada. Dealers had told me this car was impossible to find, but from my experience, there are enough around the lots to prevent gouging. Every dealership in my area (5) had at least one in inventory during my negotiating period.

Overall I found VW very easy to deal with, and their cars have numerous thoughtful extras built in which really make a difference over time. And did I mention the performance....

Sorry for being long-winded.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I tested the 323 as well. Very nice car. It handles and rides better than the GTI. But while the "base" price is about $27k, everything is an expensive option. It would have cost me about $31k+ (US).

A 323 station wagon (which they are going to import starting in December or January) with the sport package would have been just perfect for me. But way to expensive.

I drove the A4 Avant. Seemed a bit slow to me. Handling and ride was nice. Stripped, it would have been around $26k, plus a three month wait (hey, I'm impatient). Would be nice if it was chipped, I suspect.

The Saab 9-3 was nice. Very fast. Not sure how long I'd like the styling. Not cheap either -- I figured around $26-27k.

2000 Subaru Legacy wagon was too slow.

I like the styling of the Jetta, but the slope of the c pillar reduces headroom significantly in the back seat. The GTI actually has more headroom back there, due the straight roofline. And I wanted a hatch or station wagon to haul stuff. I do wish the GTI was available with 4 doors.
    I was debating between a Jetta GLX and a GTI GLX as well. In the end, I decided I preferred the hatchback over the sedan. The styling seems sportier to me, the space arrangement is more useful, and the reduced length (9" shorter) can make a big difference in a tight parking spot. The Jetta GLX has wood trim around the vents, which I thought was fussy and pointless. The GTI has the bonus of a rear-window wiper/washer.

I was able to find one immediately, but in my neck of the woods (the Bay Area) every dealer who had one was charging at least $2000 above sticker, except for Dirito Brothers in Walnut Creek. I first called them on Tuesday, drove it and purchased it on Wednesday, arranged for insurance on Thursday and drove it home.

I'm fine with 2 doors... I won't be carrying passengers too often, and I prefer to have the longer doors for my own ease of entry/exit.

I love the solidity of the car. It exudes quality. I love slamming the door, or closing the hatch and hearing the lock engage. The leather of the steering wheel and seats is gorgeous to look at and sumptuous to the touch. I would rather the shift knob was leather instead of wood. The microwave-timer control for the sunroof seems needlessly odd, but I don't mind it much.

I like how the rear deck, which covers the cargo space when the hatch is closed, works; it has automatically retracting lines that attach to little posts inside the lid. It's very simple to remove or replace. (That hook on the underside-- is that meant for hanging clothing?) The tie-downs are handy and I'm glad the CD changer is hidden behind its door. I've only tried folding the rear seats once; it was kind of a pain but it's probably just that I was doing it spastically. It's unfortunate that you have to remove the headrests, but it's clever that there are slots for them on the rear edge of the rear seat cushions.

Incidentally, I removed the center headrest and tossed it in the closet. There's never going to be three adults in the back, and it just blocks my rear view.

I am extreeeemely happy with my GTI GLX. It's sporty, useful, handsome and well put-together. I like it more and more every day.
    Oh wait, I also wanted to add: This morning I accidentally started at a green light in third gear, and it didn't stall. It actually started moving ahead slowly. I downshifted to second and took off. Love that torque!
    EJS,

I thought the same thing about the hook on the deck lid, but while perusing the owners manual it mentions that it is there to hold the trunk floor flap open when accessing the spare and toolkit. Another one of those thoughtful little things that make this car wonderful (not to mention the gas strut hood lift, trunk tie downs, auto-locking trunk et al.)

As for the sunroof knob, I actually like it a lot. Once you get used to the positions you just flick your wrist and forget about it. On my Ford Expidition you have to press and hold the sunroof rocker switch until it opens to the desired spot - same for closing (BTW, there is a manual winch to close the sunroof hidden in the ceiling pod behind the cloth cover just in case the actuator dies.)

My centre headrest is in the closet too. VW was a bit optimistic about the seating capacity back there ;-)
    Thanks for clearing up the hook mystery. I don't have my manual yet, due to a mix-up; it should be waiting for me at home in a FedEx package tonight, along with the switchblade keys with remotes. I've been using the valet key, and I'm looking forward to the real ones! It was clever of VW to prevent the valet key from opening the hatch, but what would keep a hypothetical crooked valet from opening it with the door-mounted switch? Another mystery that will perhaps be cleared up by the manual.

A nice feature about the sunroof knob is that you can actually feel when it reaches the optimum-open point or the closed point. My SO's Jeep Grand Cherokee has a rocker switch for the sunroof, but it's one-touch open, press-and-hold close. It seems like VW could have easily used a one-touch window switch for the sunroof.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you! Like you say, the thought-out details of this car make it a joy even when it's not moving. For instance, being able to open the windows when unlocking the door with the key. Why didn't someone think of that sooner?

This discussion is making me antsy to leave work!
  • junior1954junior1954 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone out there had any experience with chips, air filters/induction for this motor? I've already installed a 160o thermostat and 165o fer. fan switch in an attempt to keep the obdII processor from retarding the timing if it runs hot. I've also contemplated installing a larger oil cooler, since I still experience oil temp.s of 230o f in warm weather with the air on, but don't know the one to get. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • kevinckevinc Member Posts: 51
    There is at least one chip on the market for the "new" VR6 (when I say new I mean '99.5+ with drive-by-wire throttle). Go here:

http://WWW.GIACusa.COM/vr6dbw.html

The guy behind this operation, Garrett Lim, is somewhat of a legend in chip tuning. The guy is a medical student (!) from California, currently going to school back in Pennsylvania. He does chips for a HUGE variety of cars, but he's a VW guy personally. I had one of his chips in my '97 GTI VR6, an early version he did for that motor, and it was a nice upgrade. He claims pretty healthy increases for the fly-by-wire motor, with dyno results to back it up.

Whoops - just noticed you have a '98, or the "early" version of the VR6. No problemo, he can chip it too.. in fact it's less expensive as your chip is socketed. See his site for more info.

-kc-
    '99 GTI GLX
    '86.5 Scirocco 16V 2.0
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Factory/1780
    You guys who are complaining about this problem -
    - it is NOT normal, but has been a chronic problem since the Mk3 cars. The cable shifters are lousy (IMHO - my 13 year old Scirocco shifts better - is this progress??) and problematic. There are a couple of TSB's at VW's tech site that go over the procedure for how to fix the problem. If your car is under warranty, take it in and demand they fix it, wave the TSB in their faces if they try to tell you it's "normal".. total baloney.

Go here to view the TSB for the '99.5+ cars:
    (You will need the Adobe Acrobat reader, a free plug-in, installed in order to view it)

http://tech.vw.com/pdf/v349902.pdf

There is also a separate TSB at the site for the
    earlier VR6 cars, for the exact same problem.
    Note that ALL of the recent VW and Audi TSBs are posted here (tech.vw.com), in plain site for the public to view - this is very cool!

-kc-
    '99 GTI GLX
    '86.5 Scirocco 16V 2.0
    Does the new VR6 drive by wire chip void the warranty? Has anyone installed it?

Also - I wandered over to the "Honda League of 4-Bangers" on this site and irritated our rice burning friends.

I called the Civic si a 'bathtub' and that got them going!

Cheers!
  • dhkdhk Member Posts: 49
    Have to ask, why would you want to prevent the ECU from retarding the timing when the engine is running hot? Don't you think that feature was put in by the factory to try to protect the engine from detonation/destruction? Kindof amazing to me that folks think enough of VW engineering to buy the GTI, then think they can go out an "improve" the car by disabling features or putting in a chip designed by a med student who could care less how long your motor lasts...
    I won't be chipping my GTI GLX.. but I did have
    a Garrett chip in my '97. Garrett may be a medical student but he's truly a craftsman at his work, and *does* care about what happens to the motors he's tuning, I sincerely believe. I have spoken with him personally and spoken to others in the business who are in the know - the guy is universally respected.

What makes you think he "prevents the ECU from retarding the timing"? Not true. Garrett fine tunes the fuel and timing maps, yes, but does not disable anything..

-kc-
    '99 GTI GLX
    '86.5 Scirocco 16V 2.0
  • dsprattedspratte Member Posts: 4
    Okay folks, I'm stuck. I'm a long time VW fan, the 96 GTI 2.0 is my first watercooled and current VW. My lease end is creeping up on the horizon, and I have to admit that the Jetta GLS VR6 is looking real appealing.

Performance wise it would be a close match to the GTI GLX for thousands less?

I want more performance, more VW performance. I don't think I can get enough out of the little four banger. I have a K&N, and I've thought of chipping it, but I'm worried if I buy the car, dump a grand into it on a chip, cat-back exhaust, and so on that I'll still get the lump in my throat when some 40 YO tools by in some VR6 model that's being strangled by an automatic.

So my question is what would you do: Step away from the GTI badge to get the performance? Or keep the 2.0 I've had since it was new and drop some mods on it?

Thanks!
  • bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    There's little or no horsepower gains to be made on the 2.0 8V unless you do some SERIOUS mods to the head like porting, polishing, extrude-hone, 3-angle valve job. In short, you have to do a LOT of work to make that 8V head flow.

Why, oh why did they ever give up on the 16V engine. it shoukd have been made the standard. At least they would have been competitive, then.

Bruce, Smart Shopper co-Host.
    Yeah, a GLS VR6 should be close to a GTI GLX performance-wise (remember, the Jetta carries extra weight). Although you might have some trouble finding a GLS VR6 in manual (I was looking for one too).

I say go for a new VW. I think VWs look much better now. And I don't think there's much hope for the 2.0, performance-wise. Maybe you want to wait for the Jetta GLS (or GTI GLS) with the 1.8T engine-- should be less expensive than the VR6.
    Advance timing is not a feature that either exists or does not exist. What the Garrett chip does is to remap the advance timing (not eliminate it). The factory chip is calibrated in such a way as to minimize the possibility of engine failure, it is true. However, the factory calibration theoretically provides for an extra margin of safety, leaving room for the creative and competent reprogrammer to design a performance enhancing chip that nonetheless does not unduly stress the mechanicals. And lets face it, if the Garrett chips were routinely blowing up VW engines, don't you think we would have heard about it by now? We do buy VW engineering because we appreciate the combination of reliability and real world performance and responsiveness that it provides, but that doesn't preclude performance enhancements for those who choose to go that route. I for one will be sticking with the original chip in my 2000 GTI GLX, at least until after I decide that the factory performance is inadequate for my purposes. But I have a feeling I won't.
  • jpalmjpalm Member Posts: 2
    I haven't driven a VW in a long time, so forgive my ignorance. My daughter would like to buy a VW
    Golf GTI GLS (4 cyl). My question is this: does the GTI GLS handle better than a base GOLF GL? I know they have the same engine, but do they have the same suspension? I can't tell by reading the VW brochures, etc. Any advice from VW pros would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I'm not a VW pro but I'll have a go. My sources tell me that the suspension on the GL and the GTI GLS 4cyl are the same. The GLX 6 cyl has a different, tighter suspension.

(Unsolicited advice from the carlady: depending on your daughter's age and driving experience, the GLX 6cyl may be too much car. The insurance rates will be off the charts. I know it's not a model you are currently considering but bear it in mind in case the salesperson -- or your daughter -- starts leaning that way...)

carlady/host
    If you ask me, the GTI GLS isn't really a GTI. VW's being a bit naughty, placing the GTI badge on a car that's not that different from the other Golf 2.0 liter models. For purists like me, putting the Golf's weak automatic transmission in a car called a GTI is borderline heresy. Even with a stick, the GTI GLS isn't particularly exciting - performance wise. If you scroll back through this chat area, you'll see that VW may put its 1.8 liter turbocharged engine in the GTI GLS. With about 150 horsepower, this would separate the GTI GLS from the routine golf and make it a much better sled. It should come with a tighter suspension than base Golfs. Don't listen to the Carlady - go ahead and get the GTI GLX VR6. You'll be driving the car more than your daughter!
  • lostsailorlostsailor Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I'm just wondering what types of leather cleaner/conditioner I should use on my 2000 GTI. Some conditioner state that the cream may cause darkening of the leather (I have a Beige color leather).

Thanks in advance!
  • dsprattedspratte Member Posts: 4
    Well, I can't speak for the 99 and on models, but all the GTIs carry a different suspension than the other models.

While the 2.0L is a bit of a dog, the suspension makes a difference in the way the car "feels."
    Lost Sailor,

I've been using Mother's Leather Cleaner and their Conditioner. The cleaner works great - I got grease from the headrests all over the rear seat when opening the hatch for big cargo. Just spray it on on gently buff. Has a nice citrus scent too. The Conditioner is a lotion that you rub into the leather. Leaves it feeling nice and supple. About $8CAN each ($6US).

I have black leather so I wouldn't notice darkening as much, but it did not appear to change the colour of the leather. Mother's make very good quality polishes and cleaners, so I'm pretty sure they won't do any damage. Hovever, you might want to test in a hidden spot first. Check out www.mothers.com for more info. Their waxes are first rate.
    The GTI's have a different suspension setup from the Vanilla Golfs. Spring rates are increased and there are heavier anti-sway bars lending a firmer, sportier feel to the cars. The GTi GLS and GLX are tuned differently to allow for the extra weight of the V6 in the GLX.

A few other notes on suspension...
    Having driven in a MK3 GTI VR6 vs. my 2000 GLX I would have to say that VW has softened the suspension a bit. The ride on the 2000 is a good blend of performance and comfort; the 98 VR6 suspension felt more purposeful although harsher (plus the chassis isn't nearly as solid feeling).

The GTI GLS is a bit of a ripoff - no performance whatsoever in the engine department. When VW brings the 1.8Turbo to the GLS in the spring, then the car will be worthy of the nameplate. Having driven the 1.8T in the Audi A4 and the Beetle 1.8T, I think that the GLS 1.8T will bring a smile to any enthusiasts face. Gobs of torque down low where you need it, high revving, almost no turbo lag - if it was availabvle when I bought my GLX I may have gone for it instead. Not that I'm disatisfied though :-)
    Leather care? Don't miss this topic in the Maintenance & Repair conference.

carlady/host
    The new GTI suspensions are **FAR** too soft, straight out of the Buick school of suspension tuning.. and they have been for years here in the US. Last week I upgraded my '99.5 GTI GLX with Bilstein Sports and H&R Sport springs, what a difference! Ride quality is unfazed except on the very worst of surfaces, the car is 1.5" lower (which it needs badly - in stock form they sit up like a RAV4) and handling is improved about 10,000%. A tire upgrade is needed too (which I did first), the stock tires are all-season grocery-getters and have no biz on a GTI...

-kc-
    '99 GTI GLX
    '86.5 Scirocco 16V 2.0
  • LackeyLackey Member Posts: 24
    Kevinc-
    The set up you are using, how does it differ from the H&R Coilovers? I'm not too technical, but I was curious which is superior. I understand the coilover's are expensive. Also, what did this modification do to your warrenty?
    Whenever I get around to getting one of these cars, hopefully soon, I plan on replacing the suspension bits, though I would think twice if it did grievous damage to my warrenty. Of course, new tires are a given. I've yet to hear of a car with decent stock tires.
    The H&R coilover kit for the GTI GLX is mega-expensive - about $1800. My setup was $700 for H&R springs & Bilsteins. Coilovers are special springs mounted directly on threaded-body shocks, which gives them the advantage of being height-adjustable. The H&R's are supposed to be awesome, but not $1100 more awesome for any kind of street driving I'll ever be doing! I'm VERY happy with this setup, I'll have some pics posted in a few days..

-kc-
    Suspension upgrades *shouldn't* affect the warranty, though depending on your dealer, they could possibly hassle you if a repair is needed to something that might be affected by the change. They definitely can't give you grief for an engine repair, which has no correlation to the suspension upgrade. If you blew out a CV joint, they COULD say that lowering the car may have caused the premature failure, and they'd likely win that argument in arbitration if it came to that. A different dealer might not even mind at all. Best to check reputations of local dealers in your area on this one.
    While I respect people who want to upgrade their suspensions, I'd have to say that I'm happy with mine the way it is. I've got a friend with a Buick and I drove it once - the GTI GLX doesn't have a Buick suspension. A real enthusiast might want to spend the extra money on new shocks, etc. but I'm very pleased with the feel and handling of my sled. It's a lot more pleasurable driving the 2000 GTI VR6 than the mark III. But then again, I wouldn't ever criticize someone who wants to improve a product so that they are pleased with it.
    I agree-- I got the GTI GLX because it kicked butt right out of the box. If I was planning to do a lot of aftermarket work I would have gotten a used Golf GL and dropped a VR6 into it. You would probably wind up with a better-performing car for much cheaper, because you're not buying the better shocks, springs, wheels, tires, etc. that come with the GTI GLX just to replace them anyway.

Also, it seems that racing purists despise all the bells and whistles that come with the GLX, like power windows, heated seats, air conditioning, etc. as needless weight and more stuff to break.

OTOH, go down to the forums at vwvortex-- if anyone there has a straight-up stock car, it's only because they just brought it home five minutes ago, and they already have a wrench in one hand while typing with the other. To each their own!
    I'm with Wicketkeeper regarding upgrades. I've taken a look at Kevinc's GLX on his page (looks great!) but I'm not sure if that's the route for me. I live in Canada where the snow, ice and potholes make extensive, expensive upgrades useless for 1/3rd of the year. While an agressive dropped suspension and some killer 40 series performance tires on 17" alloys would look sweet and handle great in the summer, I'd rather not see the chin spoiler torn off or my alloys dissolved by winter snow and salt. Perhaps if I lived in Southern California I'd feel differently. Meanwhile, I've already shelled out $850CAN for a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin snow tires and ugly steel wheels for the coming snowfall.
    Dhicks - move to North Carolina! You're right - Kevin's GLX (and his other car) look tremendous. May hat's off to enthusiasts like that.
    Kevinc, Nice cars. I became a VW enthusiast in 1979, when I started my short, two-year career as a VW/Audi salesman. My most memorable Scirocco demo drive was with an attractive young lady who apparently was very impressed with my driving skills. After I drove for a few minutes on a winding country road with her in the passenger seat, we traded places and she proceeded to emulate my driving style (which is to say, fast and aggressive). It seems that she hadn't had much experience driving a highly responsive car with a fair amount of understeer, because my life flashed before me as she took a turn way too fast and plowed into the guard rail that separated us from a steep embankment. She didn't buy the car, and I kept my job.

I just bought a 2000 GTI, and love it. What a great combination of performance, handling, comfort, convenience and looks. Perhaps it's not a purist's car, but then again, purists tend to upgrade regardless. I'm considering a spring and shock package, and have heard that the H&R springs are the way to go. As far as the shocks are concerned, Konis have been recommended, but you seem to prefer Bilsteins. Any further thoughts?
  • debijondebijon Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if there are plans to bring the 4wd 200hp v5 version to the U.S. And if not how difficult is it to bring one over if purchased there. I assume one issue may be that they are not certified for sale here.
  • debijondebijon Member Posts: 6
    typo.. 4motion is V6 not V5
    Konis are great too. A little more pricey, but adjustable. I don't need the adjustability and like the Bilsteins, so my choice was easy. The pics at my site are with the STOCK suspension, sometime soon (maybe by thhis weekend) I'll have some new pics of the car after being lowered. It looks **MUCH** better now - not "slammed", but just right, like it should have out of the box.

My Scirocco is really a hoot - 2.0 upgrade, full Bilstein/H&R/Neuspeed swaybar suspention, Dunlop SP8000's on Corrado BBS rims, euro lights and possibly the most important visual upgrade of all: euro bumpers in place of the HUGE battering rams that the car came with for the US market... it's quick, has tons of low end (not possible with the 1.8 16V) and handles like a go-kart. And is a damn fine looking car if I may say so!

-kc-
    '99 GTI GLX
    '86.5 Scirocco 16V 2.0
  • jen_csijen_csi Member Posts: 1
    My car was flooded during Floyd, therefore I am considering buying a Golf TDI, I have never owned a car with a diesel engine and am wondering about the drawbacks. I have test driven it and am impressed but, I have seen those Mercedes turbo diesels that have the pick-up of a slug traveling uphill. This is a feature that I am not interested in. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
  • LackeyLackey Member Posts: 24
    The Golf TDI makes 90hp and 155lbs./ft. of torque. In my opinion, that is a GOOD THING. Lots of torque makes for a very fun driving experience. In fact, most Americans, unless they were bred on high-rpm Hondas, mean torque when they say horsepower. I remember reading something recently that I think puts the two in context perfectly. Torque is for using your car and horsepower is for abusing it. The TDI is also very reliable and gets exceptional gas mileage. I suggest driving the 2.0l Golf and the Golf TDI back to back and seeing which suits you best...Or spring for the VR6 and all your problems are solved!
  • allonallon Member Posts: 2
    Can anybody give some technical information regarding the golf 4motion and when is it coming to the States?
  • hcj13hcj13 Member Posts: 5
    Just got a notice regards to the recall notice VW issued Feb 99. It was about something with the sound absorbing mat on the side panel was not properly installed. It would catch fire in a crash.
    I just bought my new GTI this august, should i be worried about this recall notice since Golf and GTI is essentially the same car but different engines?
    Please help!
    The VW recall you mention was issued in February 1999, is that right? Did it say what make/model year(s) it covered?

Why not call the service manager at the dealership from which you bought your car and ask for a complete explanation of the recall and why it does /not apply to your car?

Get the facts. Then, if necessary, panic. ;-)

carlady/host
  • kodsikodsi Member Posts: 1
    Ok, it has been 1000 miles already on my 2 weeks old 2000 gti gls. Here is what I think about it: great car! My brother owned a 1997 Mercedes E class and having driven that car several time, I can tell you that the golf gti comes close (especially with the leather package). I understand that alot of VW enthusiasts rave about the VR6 and not the 2.0 GTI. Good, so I went to the dealer and I test drove both cars on different days. I first drove the 4 cyl.
    GTI and I was impressed by the handling and quality of the car. Accelaration was lively but most important to me was that I was able to merge into highway speed effortlessly. I was actually surprized to see how fast I was going since the car was very stable, quiet and solid at highway speeds. The next day I went and test drove the v6 gti. Compared to the 4 cyl. the v6 was smoother but had a lounder more muscular sound at idle (nice). The idle sound on the 4 is definetly quieter. Once in first gear I barely hit the gas pedal and the Automatic Slip Regulation (ASR) immediatly kicked in. This is a powerful engine!!! There was torque steer that reminded me of my 88 Golf (great car by the way).
    The gear shifting on the v6 was quick and I reached 60 miles/hr effortlessly. Acceleration is what really sets the two gtis from each others. I say that because I really did not see any difference in the handling between the two gtis. I was expecting better handling with the v6 but apparently the suspension is the same. One other difference I noticed was the weight at the front of the car, the v6 logically felt heavier in the front compared to the 4 cyl.
    I was ready to buy the silver/black v6 but couldn't afford to spend 25,000 dolars (with tax and tags)on this beautiful piece of engineering. The dealer refused to negotiate and I felt that he wanted to keep the car for himself (very strange and horrible experience). Shopping for a v6 was a nightmare, even autobytel could not give me a decent price on that car. However, through autobytel I was able to get my silver GLS with beige leather interior and a 6 CD changer for 18,500 (including tax and tags). I decided to go for the 4 for the following reasons: 1) budget, 2) the handling is the same on both cars and 3) the performance of the 4 suits my daily commute.
    In summary, if you are on a budget and want a rare car with excellent handling and real world performance (highway merging, etc...)then go with the base gti. If you can wait until the spring (hard to wait for such an awesome car)then get the turbo gti. It will probably be more expensive but worth it I am sure. If you can get a great deal on the 4 cyl GTI right now, I say go for it, it is all you will need (I have no regrets what so ever!!!).
    Well, I hope that this long post was informative and for all you Golf drivers out there: enjoy!!!

2000 Gti Gls (silver/beige leath.)
This discussion has been closed.