Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura Integra

Comments

• dtungdtung Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks,

I am looking into buying a 89 Integra LS for about $3750. The only thing that is wrong with this car is the fuel gauge - it is non-functional. Does anyone know how much it would cost to fix it? Is there any problems with the 89 Integras I should be aware of? This car has 133K miles on it. Thank you for your help.

Dave
  • ajvdhajvdh Member Posts: 223
    Make sure the timing belt and water pump maintenance have been done. If you have any doubts, have the belt changed. One of my coworkers had a belt with 45k miles on it break on her '88, and the repairs would have equalled the Bluebook value for the car.

Check for oil leaks at the valve covers, cam seals, crankshaft seals and head gasket (the last one costs over $500 to fix, a look at the shop manual will make it clear why). According to my Honda/Acura mechanic, the first two leaks are pretty common on the first generation Integras, mine happens to have the head leak, so my driveway looks like hell.

Rear brake pads wear out faster than you might think, but if you replace them before they score the rotors, it's very cheap.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    ajdvh, good advice! Thanks for contributing your expertise and experience.

carlady/host
  • dtungdtung Member Posts: 2
    Hi ajdvh,

Thanks for the advice! I ended up not getting the Integra. The gear box felt overly loose during the second test drive, and I had trouble telling if the gears were engaged at times. I am now looking into newer models of Integras.

Dave
  • momo3momo3 Member Posts: 1
    This is in response to Edmunds newest comparo test between the A4, G20, and Countour SVT. In response, the Ford is quoted to be the "best handling front wheel drive sedan sold in this country."

Hmmm, I've got a hard time buying that one. I would think the Integra GSR sedan could give the Ford a run for its money. I've got a '97 GSR coupe and if the sedan handles anything near the coupe, Edmunds might want to reconsider.

So how about a comparo between the Contour SVT and the Integra GSR? They're very close in price and Edmunds seemed to be very keen about the power of the Ford. And here's a reminder, the GSR has better 0-60 times (this from a puny 1.8 liter four, vs a V6 in the Ford), shorter braking distance, and a better road handling index (check out each car's numbers at Edmund's) than the Ford.

I would love to see this comparo and perhaps Edmunds might want to reconsider what is the "best handling front wheel drive sedan."

Comments anyone?
    Hmmm, sounds like this should be a discussion in the Sedans conference. :-) Have you tried the search feature on the menu below? You may find just such a topic already in action!

carlady/host
  • funk1funk1 Member Posts: 1
    hello all
  • ebbdaneebbdane Member Posts: 1
    Hum...I might have agree with MZN (Carlady/Host). The sedan model of the GS-R adds some lbs. to the curb weight; In addition the overall length of the car is longer all with the same engine/tranny/supension/etc.

It may be worth checking into however, no Ford will ever be the Integra for reliability. If the handling on an Integra Sedan is decimal points less than that of a Contour SVT...I'll take the Acura any day of the week.

Anyways, I have the 1998 GS-R Coupe/Hatchback and love it.
  • ncsu98ncsu98 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, the Ford Contour SVT is a great sedan for Ford and a step in the right direction, but it can never top the Integra in the looks department or customer service and warranty. Here's an interesting thought...if Ford can make 195 hp with a 2.5 liter six, that's great. Acura has already made that much horsepower with only 1.8 liters of displacement.
  • realbuyerrealbuyer Member Posts: 1
    Any tips or stories on buying a car? I've never bought one and I'm trying to prepare myself as well as I can. I'm looking at an Integra Type R, so if anyone has tips about dealerships, I'd really appreciate them!
    Edmunds has loads of tips on how to buy a car. Be sure to see the Consumer Advice section (click from the home page) as well as the Smart Shopper conference (click on the menu to the left) for help and advise. And of course, Integra buyers are invited to share their stories here.

Please, be sure to keep us posted on your encounter with the Integra, realbuyer!

carlady/host
  • bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    Unfortunately, the Type R is a limited production car, so some of the rules don't apply. Your best bet may be to let the sales person "Talk You Into" a Type R. (Nudge, nudge. wink, wink. [%^) If you go into the dealer, with only one car on your mind, they know they have you hook, line and sinker.

Play a little hard to get for the Type R. That's my advice.

Bruce. Who REALLY wants a Type R too!!
  • ajvdhajvdh Member Posts: 223
    One of my cow-orkers saw one at the local dealer. He was told "Sticker plus $5k - no negotiating." He went back two weeks later, it was gone. For sticker plus $5k. Ouch.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    We pulled off a variation of this once. A student worker in my wife's office wanted an Integra LS Special Edition coupe in the worst way, but had the sense to listen to our suggestion to be as non-committal as possible when looking at cars. No "falling in love" with a particular color or feature.

After viewing and test-driving the LS, we started the initial negotiations. Tucked away in a corner of the lot was a white LS Special Edition from a prior allotment, pushing the magic 60-day mark. We "allowed" the dealer to persuade him to see if the numbers would work on this car compared to an LS and made the deal at the same price as the regular edition, getting the special wheels, sun-roof, and spoiler. Dealer made a decent profit, buyer saved around 2K.

Sticker (MSRP, I presume) + 5K for the current Type R? He got stuck, but, if he was willing to pay that, more power to the dealer! A willing buyer and a willing seller = a meeting of the minds.
    Thanks for a great example, prophet2!

carlady/host
  • keltkelt Member Posts: 3
    My brother just bought his type R this saturday from Indy. He paid sticker -- no add ons or price hike. If you do some footwork you can get a deal.

For those of you willing to spend the extra dough, it is worth it. The thing is a beast on the highway. I drove both his R and the new gsr and found them both a thrill. The type R is not nearly as loud (cruising) as all the articles say it is. My civic si is a lot louder on the highway. It is however loud once it hits 6000 rpm, whoa!! it sounds cool though.
  • bluetahoebluetahoe Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering if anyone experienced rattles
    and squeaks from the hatch area of a second
    generation Integra (90-93). I had the dealer
    tighten things and checked around (including
    the spare tire area) myself and the noise
    persists. Mine is a 90 and it developed this
    problem about two years ago.

I do have after market Alpine CD player that can
    overpower the noise but any other suggestions?

Other than the noise, the car has great engine
    and transmission (5 speed). I read on earlier
    posts about break pads not lasting long enough
    (on third generation models) but I have been very satisfied with their life on my model. Front pad every 80K miles and rear every 60K miles. I do a little more highway driving than city and also I am pretty gentle with them.
  • nero2nero2 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking into Integras and so far my favorite is type-R it looks a little pricey though. Kelt how much did your brother pay over the invoice for Type R? How about its maintenance/gas costs and reliability?I heard it does not come with air conditioner either. Is it really worth the money?

Would appreciate some input.
  • keltkelt Member Posts: 3
    nero2,

He did have to pay $800 for ac, and $100 for floor mats. The total was right at 26k taxes and tags included. You dont have to worry about reliability from an acura. He got 417 miles on his first tank, although he did take it easy. His second tank he got 370 because he used the upper band quite a bit. Is it worth it? Well that day i drove the hell out of a gsr and it was nice. The handling is not like the type r. For a little money on a grs you could handle just as good. The speed difference is somewhat noticeable, but the sound is a big factor. The typr r in the upper band sounds sooo good, but the gsr sounds ok. If you dont mind not having a moonroof and leather then the type r is good, but if you cant live without it then get the gsr and put $1500 into an intake, header, and exhaust - and maybe get close to the type r performance. It is a sweet ride though. Drive a gsr and pretend its quicker (especially on the highway),and it handles better.
    The only negative aspect, for me that is, is that it revs high in 5th gear (ex. 80mph=4300rpm). If you don't mind, cool. Thats about all I can say, if you have any other concerns, write.
  • nero2nero2 Member Posts: 2
    Kelt thanks for your answer. If my current car does not die early I'll have some time to save for type -R that's a one cute car.
  • harpharpharpharp Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1989 Integra, automatic, that I have loved for 9.5 years. It has 169,000 miles on it and I feel that it's time to move on. It also just started to use a lot of oil. I have just put in a new battery and alternator ( I got stranded 2 weeks ago). The mechanic said that there were some loose plugs (?) that he tightened that might account for the oil usage. I had the timing belt changed at 100,000. I really don't want to change it again because I am planning on getting a new car at the end of December.

So tell me, fellow Integra owners, will my car make it to the end of the month? (3 more weeks). Also, how much should I ask for it? No radio, body is in decent shape, upholstery is starting to age...
    I was thinking $1995?

PJC
    Thanks for the info, acerone!

carlady/host
  • foosefoose Member Posts: 1
    2nd Generation Question:

I have a 1990 GS that squeaks and rattles a fair amount. My Sony / Alpine sound system, too, overpowers the noise but rules out conversation when it does. Check the plastic screws on the inside of the hatch back -- if they're loose or stripped you'll get more noise. There's a good chance that if you overtighten them, they'll strip, so be careful. If you cannot tighten them enough without stripping them, add a thin shim to take up extra space - this worked nicely for me.

On another note, my car goes through HUGE amounts of oil -- needs a ring job badly -- and I'm thinking of moving on to something else. I bought my car used (63K miles in April '97 for $6,600) and loved it until the compression and other engine problems started. Now I'm a bit bummed about the whole thing. If you're looking at used Integra's of this age, have a trusted mechanic check it over thoroughly (consider paying for a compression test) before buying. Good luck!
  • bluetahoebluetahoe Member Posts: 4
    foose:

Thanks for the suggestion on the rattle
    and squeak issue. I will give it a try,
    and yes, I will be careful not to strip
    the screws.
  • bigcacbigcac Member Posts: 2
    Check out TEAM KONCEPT RACING located in Houston, Tx. We have the tightes Civic, Preludes, Integras and some other nice lookin imports. Check us out at www.tmkoncept.cjb.net. Deuce²
  • planb4uplanb4u Member Posts: 1
    I just read the December 98 write up from David Reid.

Excuse me.

David said "... the car was a squeeze ..." and
    "...Thank goodness I'm not any taller or I would be unable to ride in or drive this car."

I say "I'm 6'2" and I weigh over 225. I owned a smoky 94RS (plenty of headroom no shoehorn required) that was totaled last October. I replaced it with a gleaming white 95LS (It also has a sunroof/moonroof. I have headroom to spare and I don't need David's shoehorn.) I can't disagree with David's assessment more."

One final note: Both cars were certified used. I've had no trouble at all with either car.

Jim Leavitt
    P.S. It's almost too bad I like my LS. I've had 3 offers to buy it for more than bluebook!
  • mac9681mac9681 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at a '94 Acura Integra GSR with 25,000 miles on it. The owner is asking $12,750 for it, not negotiable. While I haven't seen it yet he says its like new. Does this sound like a reasonable price to pay for one of these cars?
  • devinjcdevinjc Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 94 Integra GSR for 10,995 with 58k miles on it and in excellent condition. I think the 12,750 is fairly reasonable price if it looks like new with those low miles. Basically, even though my car checked out ok, I'm still expecting it to blow up b/c of the unbelievable price I got on it. (and no it's never been wrecked, I checked the insurance history on the VIN#)
    Smart move devinjc!! No matter what car you're buying, used or new, run a VIN check before signing anything and check the VIN again before you leave the lot. Most of the time of course, there is no problem. But, why not be on the safe side?

carlady/host
  • 123mike123123mike123 Member Posts: 1
    hatch lite never comes on - why?

vtec plate vanished - no scratch marks - why?

annoying rattle from sunroof cover, both visors, and passenger side "finger cup" door handle - help?
  • jdunphyjdunphy Member Posts: 4
    This is just a lament about times gone by. I am going to have to sell my baby. I was message
    #54 in this townhall. Now get this I'm going to buy a gardeners helper (pickup but you probably figured that smart car owners that you all are). Does that suck or what. The only good thing I can say is one can get them sideways a lot easier than a GSR. Oh well time stands still for no man. At least I still have my bike. That no one will take from me!
    So when I am trundling down the road and a GSR or the like comes up fast I will indicate right a give the right of way. Just may sure when you go by dont go by at + 2 mph diff, Haul a**!
    Be safe
    Dont drink and drive
    JD :)
  • wgintzwgintz Member Posts: 22
    123mike123:

First, if your car is still under warranty bring it in and have all the little annoying problems fixed.

Hatch light - have you tried replacing the bulb? If so check the fuse and also see if the switch could be stuck (I'm not sure where the switch is located, try the owners manual or call the dealer).

VTEC Plate - a "nice" thief? Call the dealer, they may give you another for free.

Rattles - I know there is a technical bulletin on the sunroof. I had the same problem with the "finger cup" door handle - the dealer had to pull the door apart and found something loose. (it was still under warranty)

good luck!
  • jpbulhonjpbulhon Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for a published 0-60 time for my '93 Integra GS, 140 h.p., 1.8 liter, five - speed model. I've research all the on-line auto magazine abstracts that should have had a review with this info, but no luck. The topic at that time was the GS-R. I've also checked with Acura Customer Service. No luck there either.

I'm looking for this info to compare it to the published specs for other cars I'm interested in buying.

Thanks to anyone who can direct me where to find this info.
  • hurtn4certnhurtn4certn Member Posts: 9
    Needing some advice: My financee has a 1992 Acura Integra with 133,000 miles on the odometer. Apparently there have been some, shall we say, gaps in the maintainance schedule (like 10,000 miles between oil changes!) The car itself is quite sound and a blast to drive, never thought I'd say that, being a truck person myself. Anyway, the clutch is sounding a little metal to metal contact is being made. Could the clutch be getting worn, but shouldn't it slip first, or is there a throw out bearing going bad?? Secondly, there is a clinking, or clanking noise upon letting out the clutch, or taps on the gas pedal cause this also. I'm assuming that means the CV joints, probably the inner, need replacing. The car does not pull one direction or the other. Could it be a transmission problem??
    I myself am quite mechanically inclined, and will probably replace the CV joints and clutch myself. I'm wondering though, with the car torn that far down if there is anything that should be done with the engine. I know you shouldn't fix something that ain't broke, but I'd hate to tear down again in a year or so. The valves sound a little noisy, is that common in this engine.
    Also, does anyone know the largest tire that can run on this integra without rubbing the fenders?? The car has not been lowered.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
  • jwiser1jwiser1 Member Posts: 9
    About the 0-60 time for the 93 Integra -- It all depends upon the age and health of the hamsters under the hood.
  • jpbulhonjpbulhon Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response. The 0-60 time for the '93 Integra that I'm interested in was when the car was new, back in '93. Acura said that I needed to check the auto magazines at the time, but I already did that. Everyone was writting about the 170 horsepower GS-R, not the 140 h.p. GS model. Do you happen to know this information?

Thanks again.
  • jdunphyjdunphy Member Posts: 4
    Jwiserl, if you really care about 0-60 go buy a camaro. Integra's are not about 0-60 they are about going around corners without scaring the bejesus out of you. It's been my experience that low 0-60 does not equate to a good handling cars( at least not in my price range( love a 540i 6-spd or Carrera) but prefer a house)). Why are Camaro's and their ilk priced like a GS-R even though they are v8's and lots of sheet metal. I believe it's because there is very little engineering in them. Cheap is cheap no matter which way you look at it . You pays for what you get etc,blah,blah,blah.
    Buy a GS-R (I have a 95 and love it),drive the hell out of it ,do the oil changes every 5000 and it will treat you well. I nearly had to sell it but now I don't have to yeah! Oh by the way does anyone know how to polish minor scratches out of a windshield your guidance would be appreciated.
    Drive Fast but pay attention
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Jpbulhon, I had a 1993. I don't know exactly, but think the time was a little over 8 seconds. I looked at the new specs at Edmunds which show 7.9 seconds. I'm guessing (perhaps wrongfully) that the power in the brand new ones is produced at a slightly lower rpm, giving it a little advantage over what I remember. Sorry, but an educated guess is all I got :)
  • MiroMiro Member Posts: 15
    Alright this is the 3rd conference I've posted in, hopefully I'll get an answer here:
    I'm thinking of upgrading the shifter knob on a 98 Acura 1.6EL for a 99. In the US that means swapping the Civic's plastic one for the Integra's leather one. My question is: how do you folks find the latter shift knob, I mean is it worth upgrading ($62Cdn) to?
    thanks for your comments,
    Miro.
  • pam2pam2 Member Posts: 185
    hurtn4certn,

I recently owned a 1990 Integra with 119,000 miles on it. I, too, had to replace the clutch. It didn't do the slipping thing like I was expecting, but started grinding and having that metal to metal sound. When my trusted mechanic took it apart, he said it was about to fall apart (in some mechanic lingo). Once the clutch was replaced, it was great. Big difference in handling. I hadn't even realized how much it had changed from when it was new.

I also had to replace the CV joints right about then. I was getting a grinding sound when I turned. Again, once it was fixed it was great.

My mechanic indicated that the transmission was in fine shape and that these manual transmissions generally don't have any problems.

As for valves, mine would occasionally start clicking and would have to be adjusted. I'm sure you could easily do that.

If this is the original clutch and CV joints at 133,000 miles, it's time to replace them. Also, I hope you have made your financee understand the importance of regular maintenace - NOT going 10,000 miles between oil changes!!

I can't think of any engine troubles that I was experiencing. I had to replace the radiator, though.

Hope this is helpful.
  • hurtn4certnhurtn4certn Member Posts: 9
    Pam2,
    Thanks for the advice. Looks like I've got a project ahead of me. Definately going to replace the cv joints and clutch. Might as well do some valve adjusting while I'm at it.
    There will be no more 10,000 mile oil changes either.
    Thanks again
    dr2532,

If you're looking for a 4 door sedan, you might post in the sedan's conference if you haven't already. This is hatchbacks and you might not find the info you're looking for.

Also, I don't know about the others, but Prelude is neither a 4 door nor a sedan. Integra has both - hatchbacks and sedans. Which are you really looking at?

I think it's unlikely to find a Lexus or Infiniti for less than $8K. But I could be wrong...
    dr2532,

Hate to say it but the 4 door Integra sedan with an automatic isn't too sporty. As Pam2 suggested I would check out the sedans conference.

hurtn4certn,

I just had the valves adjusted (30,000 mile maint)in my GS-R and it makes a huge difference. The engine is running much smoother and it feels like it has more pull. Definitely worth the investment.

Bill
  • steegersteeger Member Posts: 1
    hello pam
    Hello Steeger... (wondering why Steeger is greeting me)
  • markadtmarkadt Member Posts: 4
    Pam2.... just reading through some of these postings and saw an old one from you... you still having the starting problem? I used to have a '90 LS same problem and it turned out to be the main relay switch. Have a '98 GS-R now :-).

Anyone know the link to Acura Integra's message board... can't find my link.. had cilents in the address and CMH was the web master.\
    Thanks.
    No, I traded my Acura for a 1996 Honda Civic last September. :)
    Anyone else think the edmunds review of the GS-R is lame?

Bill
  • pchiarampchiaram Member Posts: 2
    I have a 92 Integra GS-R that I bought used 3 1/2 years ago. About a year ago, I noticed that the interior light switch on the door jamb stopped working. I can switch the light on and off from the light switch, but not when the door opens. Has anyone else heard of this or any other electrical issues with this year/model??

Unfortunately, I'll be selling my car to make room for a new Solara. Any takers?? :-)

-Pete
This discussion has been closed.