Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercury Cougar

Comments

• revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Yeah that rear beam seems kind of crude these days doesn't it. Why do they keep them that way? Is it better for some reason or just cheaper so end cost to consumer is less?
  • gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Much cheaper, especially when those are the driving wheels. Many front drive cars have a beam axle at the rear, mainly for cost reduction, usually on lower end econoboxes.

A powered rear axle w/independent suspension can get pretty complicated. Just check out the prices of cars w/4wd indy suspensions as see.

Skip G.
  • louf22louf22 Member Posts: 18
    scottmetzger: The door and side rear panels all take a 5x7 (or 6x8) speaker. Check Crutchfield for fit, but I understand there is enough depth that most speakers will fit. My '01 Cougar came with the indash CD changer. I didn't do the install but my installer told me the head unit did not have preouts so I needed adapters to match to the amps I had put in.

Lou
  • scottmetzgerscottmetzger Member Posts: 4
    Hmmmm... I have a pair of Infinity Reference series 6 1/2 and some great Pioneer 6x9s... I wonder if I can get them in there with only slight modifications. What kind of adapters did you need to use for your amp? I only have one 2x100 amp that I want to use for a pair of Fosgate 8" boxes in the hatchback.

scott
  • badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    If you want to install the 6x9s, you will have to do some cutting. I have totally replaced the stock stereo system with a pro audio system. I went with Clarion 6x8s in all 4 stock locations. They handle the highs and the mids, and for the bass I installed 2 12" Soundstream SPL woofers in a box in the trunk. The Cougar is a fairly easy car to work on when it comes to replacing the stereo system. If you need any help or advice, please feel free to ask.
  • louf22louf22 Member Posts: 18
    I don't know what adapters they used. They're kind of a generic device. All the adapters do is match the speaker-level output from the radio to the low-level input to the amps I used. Not an optimum setup as the adapters can add some distortion. At higher sound levels I think there is a bit too much distortion so I'm eventually going to replace the stock radio with something with preamp outs.

Lou
    In order to avoid distortion I had all new wiring installed. I'm not fond of the speaker adaptors, and the gauge of the stock wiring is very small.
  • nightgsrnightgsr Member Posts: 4
    I currently have an Integra GSR, and am hoping to get a new vehicle in a year or so. The couger Zn looks pretty awesome from what I have read about it. What are the prices like new, and your best guesses as to what they will be with a year or two under their belts?
  • sadie90sadie90 Member Posts: 1
    What is the word with the electrical unit on the 2001 cougar? Has anyone had any trouble with their cougars? I have had my lights not shut off and my air bag indicator blinking. My car is 7 months old.
  • camelardcamelard Member Posts: 171
    I have experienced this with my 2000 Cougar, usually in damp weather. By the time I get it to the dealer the error code has overwritten itself so they can't find the cause. They did tell me that if the air bag itself is affected the light will stay on constantly rather than blink.

re: the lights staying, on I recently experienced this with my brake lights. Turns out there is a little switch under the dash right above the brake pedal (where it can easily be hit by a foot) and when switched off it leaves the brake lights on. Talk about poor product placement.
  • senexsenex Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying a new Cougar, and I would appreciate comments on the Traction Control option from anyone who has a Cat so equipped. How well does it work in winter on snow? on ice? How well does it work in summer on dry pavement? on wet pavement? Thanks for your help.
  • judgedog7judgedog7 Member Posts: 4
    My kitty has this option and the traction control does help in wet and snow conditions. But the lightness of the car and the rather crappy stock tires make it perform about as expected in snow, not the best handling but it is a sports car after all. Living in Central PA I do receive a good amount of snow and ice per year.

This is my first post to this board and I would like to thank stageleft and badulah for the excellent csg web site.

My kitty is a 99, bought in 09/98, v6 mtx with all options available at the time. I have had zero problems and the car has been behaving as well as expected.
    Senex:

Welcome to the board!! Unfortunately I do not have traction control, but I'm sure other members do. Hopefully they will reply to your post. I would recommend posting it in the CSG General Forum, which is located in the Owners Club section. Just scroll Down and click on "Cougar Support Group". There you will find several topics in which to post. Also, be sure to check out our web site at: http://www.cougarsupportgroup.com

judgedog7:

Welcome to the CSG!!! And thanks for the kind words!!!

• gregtalgregtal Member Posts: 12
    I too have a Cougar MTX, although it's an '01. So, let me pick your brain about something. How does your car behave when you have the A/C on? With the A/C on, I noticed that my car "stutters" every ten to fifteen seconds and there is an audible "chirp".. It's especially noticeable on those long drives with the cruise control on. This must have to do with the A/C, since when I turn it off, the stutter and the chirp go away. The mechanics are trying to tell me this is normal, but I also have a '99 ATX and it does nothing of the sort. Any observations you can providd would be helpful. Thanks!!
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I also experience the "chirp" with the AC on. As with my other problems, the dealer is unable to duplicate the problem. I have heard several folks mention this chirp is caused by the AC clutch cycling on and off. I mentioned this to my dealer and he basically looked at me like I was a complete moron. I may have the dealer look at it again, but I am more likely to let it be until I get a new car in 2 years.

I mentioned this before, but no one commented on it. Did anyone notice the Cougars ranking in the JD Power Quality survey? It was around the 8th worse car built based on ititial quality. The only cars worse were Mazda tribute and Kia models. So us having problems with our cars should not be a surprise. I guess we can blame it on the folks overseas for the poor quality and not our American counterparts!!!!
  • advocatusadvocatus Member Posts: 45
    What part of Central Pa do you live in?
    Haven't noticed and chirps with a/c on. I hear the compressor turn on and a slight decrease in performance but that is normal now that the engine is working harder to keep me cool.

The chirp doesn't sound normal but the hesitation could be all depending on the situation. The chirp could be causing the hesitation if it is a fan belt slipping...
    New Cumberland for right now which is on the other side of the river as Harrisburg.

Anyone else near this area?
  • advocatusadvocatus Member Posts: 45
    I drive past the signs on the turnpike for New Cumberland all the time.. I'm currently moving to the philly area, Pottstown to be more exact. Have you been to the Troeg's Brewery yet? They have a cool tour.
  • dgeminidgemini Member Posts: 161
    Man, the posts on this board have really slowed down

Greetings from Korea. I haven't driven my Cougar in almost a month and a half, I still have about 5 months to go before I will be able too, and that will only be for about a month.

You all take care, keep on enjoying driving your kitties!
    Good to hear from you!

Glad to know that someone is out there protecting my old butt from Communist domination.

Have some kimchi for me :--p

Skip G.
  • ellusionzellusionz Member Posts: 5
    I am considering buying a new Cougar next year as my first car, well first time actually buying my own car. I was wondering a few things about it...
    1) In an Edmunds review, it said the there was only a lil difference between the I4 and V6 speed or something. So is it worth the extra cash to get the V6, or will my speeding craze be satisfied with the I4?
    2) Is the Cougar really reliable? I'm just afraid of it breaking down all the time, and some reviews I've read don't say very many good things about it.
    I may have more questions soon, thanks for any info and advice you can give me :)

And incase any of you wanted to know, my list of cars I'm deciding between for now is Mazda Protege, Honda Civic, Mercury Cougar, Volkswagen Golf, and Hyundai Tiburon. Yea I know they are almost no where close, but pricing them with options I want (Cougar and Golf do go a lil higher) come into my spending range.
    The comparison that Edmund's did was the I4 stick vs. the V6 automatic. The 6 stick is much quicker than the 4. It's said the the 4 handles a little better because of the lighter front end providing better balance, but personally, I wouldn't give up the power for nuthin!!!

As far as comparisons are concerned, review all of the back posts here in Edmund's. Obviously, we're biased toward the Cougar, but there are a lot of good reasons listed.

A car choice is a complex decision based on what you really want in a car, and how much you're willing to pay for it.

In most of our cases, we decided that the Cougar gave the best combination of looks, performance, and practicality (huge hatch & cargo space, useable rear seats, etc...).

In short, "The most bang for the buck."

Skip G
  • campbe11campbe11 Member Posts: 2
    Hey folks,

I was one of the original posters in this topic (under another name then) when we were itching to get our hands on the cougar when they came out 3 years ago. After 3 years and 53,000 miles, my thoughts:

Ford decided to something else was job #1. In the last 8 months I have had an alternator go ( and take my battery with it), needed wheel bearings replaced, and have had an issue with the engine light mysteriously coming on. The first two are not things that should not be happening in a (fairly) new car. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

On the positive side, I still do love to drive it. I'll be making a couple 600+ mile trips in it over the next couple months. I have found it comfortable for trips like that.

Anyway, good to see folks like badulah and gustafsc still posting.
    Good to hear from one of the old timers!! What was your original handle? There's still a few of us pioneers around. Some have drifted away, but we still get a lot of new owners dropping in, so the group stays active.

As you say, even after a few years, the cat is still fun to drive. An alternator going, while not a happy event, can happen. Sounds like you lost one of the diodes. Wheel bearings are a different story. Was there any analysis as to why they went out so soon? Bad part to begin with? Bad lubricating job during assembly? It'd be interesting to know.

Skip G.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    I wouldn't really consider wheel bearings needing replacement after 53K miles unusual. It used to be in the "old days" people would repack wheel bearings once a year as a weekend maintenance project.

My parents used to have rear bushings replaced all the time on their '88 and '92 Toyota Camrys. The Toyota dealer said this was a known problem with no permanent fix.

If an alternator, wheel bearings, and an engine light were the only problems in 3yrs/53K miles that personally would not bother me.

Have you had any other problems over the past 3 years? The Cougar Zn really intrigues me. How has structural integrity been (squeaks, rattles, vibrations, etc)?

Thanks!
  • campbe11campbe11 Member Posts: 2
    I'm just starting to get those little, quiet rattles you'd expect to get in a car this old in the area I live in (New England). I have one small one in the dash (when I hit a good bump) and another in a door. To hear them, I need the windows up and the radio off, so I don't consider them a problem. The entire package is still very sound. The problems I listed earlier have occured in the last eight months.

The mechanic (not from a dealership) tried to be diplomatic about the bearings and said somebody probably had a bad day on the assembly line. I didn't want anymore information at the time. I asked a body shop guy at a dealership if they knew of any problems with alternators (I asked if the Contours experienced this), and he said they did. Just an anecdotal heads-up for you folks.

Skip, I use to post to these topics as pcambel. I stopped about a year and a half ago but decided to stick my head back in to see what was up.
  • ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    Hey gang,

I thought I would let everyone know that my long awaited 2001 C2 Cougar has finally arrived!!!!!!!!!!

I picked it up on Saturday and have loved every minute with the Cougar. It is a GREAT car! I just love the handling, looks, comfort, and room. Everyone loves how it looks and wants rides in it. Course they also want to drive it and that will NEVER happen! :)
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    We look forward to hearing more about your 2001 C2 Cougar experience. Happy Motoring!

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

Thanks for the response on rattles, etc. I also live in a middle atlantic state and the roads are pretty rough from plowing, constant construction, etc. I am convinced cars in areas like ours live a much harder life than in other areas of the country.

Of all the cars I've owned numerous rattles have developed in all of them within the first year of ownership. You would think that simply wouldn't be the case, but I suppose it is unavoidable. 3yrs, though, says great things about the build of the car.

My local dealer doesn't have any Zn models, but does have a few C2 and "standard" V6 models. I may have to head over later and take a look. $2,000 rebate is attractive as well :-)

Thanks again!
    Ryster:
    Although I love the Cougar in any form, I highly suggest you at least test drive an MTX (Manual Transmission) before you by an automatic. The difference between the two is significant. Although smooth and responsive, the automatic does not take advantage of the Duratech's full potential.
    Hi!

Thanks for the suggestion, it is much appreciated! My main concerns at this point are ABS and traction control. Unfortunately none of the 8 Cougars at my local dealer have these options. It seems odd they would have convenience group, sport group, leather, sunroof, power seat, but no ABS/traction.

Guess I'll need to start browsing around at other dealers...
  • stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    It is odd that they would have removed ABS as a standard feature on the V6's. I recently read an article about the new 2001-2002 which mentioned something about ABS not being standard. In 1998 when I bought my 1999 Cougar, ABS was standard with the V6 because of the added weight and HP.

I got the Manual Transmission because I love to "row my own" and I also got the optional Traction Control with Limited Slip Differential because they are really helpful tools when driving to the limits of the car (and I only do that sparingly because of all the police presence lately).

Rattles and squeaks are minimal, most occurring during the cold, Winter months, but all disappear when the car warms up. I do get the brake-crunch in reverse, but that's probably happened to everyone who owns a Cougar at least once, and there is no fix for surface rust on the rotors (which happens to all cars).

I had the check engine light come on and stay on for a while during my first year of ownership, and it was odd. I got them to replace the O2 sensor and it was fine, but in year two, the engine light would flash at me if I revved past 5500 RPM, and go out again if I dropped below that. Turned out to be another sensor in the transmission. Never once interfered with the drivability of the Cat.

The only other complaint I had with mine was the poor choice in tires that Mercury went with on the Cougar, but how were they to know? The previous generation Firestone Firehawks were awesome tires that definately lasted to their potential (I had them on a previous vehicle) but somewhere between 95 and 98, Firestone must have changed the compound. The stock tires started losing grip around 20K miles, and never consistently delivered good ride/performance quality after that. I took care of that last weekend though, when I replaced them with the other stock tire, the BFG Comp T/A VR4's, which are much better tires, to be honest.

I've replaced the stock air filter and box with an open element air filter, which you can get at www.kustomz.com, and I've replaced the stock exhaust with the Borla dual, which absolutely gives the Cat the growl it deserves.

Other than that, I have the convenience group, the sport group, leather, and I just recently replaced the stereo head unit with an aftermarket unit, rendering my 6-disc CD changer moot, but really improved the overall sound quality - even with the stock speakers!

Anyway, I LOVE my Cougar and still haven't seen anything coming out that I would be willing to drive on a regular basis (that I can afford) other than it.

Take care, and Happy Cougaring!
    Lefty:

ABS & Traction control were never standard w/V6/MTX. Ordered mine 7/98, and deferred on those options. Still have the original Cougar pamphlet listing them as options.

Skip G.
    I've got tons!!!! From what i've read on various message boards and numerous reviews, "noises" and "rattles" are very commen in Cougars. It's still a fun car to drive, but the noises are annoying as hell. I live in the south where the roads are very smooth and still hear all kinds of rattles in my dash. I think burnsmr4 can back me on this rattle topic.

ryster: what kind of cars have you owned that started rattling within 1 year of ownership? The Cougar is a first for me.
    Let me start by saying that I get new vehicles alot, so that is why the list may seem long (I have yet to find my "dream" car). But here is the list of cars that rattled noticeably within the first year: Pontiac Grand Am, Pontiac Grand Prix, Volkswagen New Beetle, Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Explorer (current vehicle; rattles only very minor at this point). I am starting to think I am cursed with rattles. I have friends and family who have vehicles that NEVER get rattles. Mine always do :(
    Just curious!!!

I noticed all the cars(except Beetle) are domestic.......I wonder if you would experience rattles if you bought a non-domestic brand. I have owned Toyota Corollas, civics, accord and altima. Not one of these cars rattled. Just a thought.....I don't know if I was just lucky or what........
    Hi!I have thought about that too. Being 6'5" tall, however, there are not too many import models I fit in. The new '02 Nissan Altima supposedly has a 2" increase in front leg room so it may be something to consider. The Cougar, though, has plenty of room for me hence my interest in it. My dad had a '98 Mystique that remained very rattle free in 40,000+ miles. His '00 Dodge Stratus is also rock solid at 14,000 miles. My Mom's '97 Explorer remained rattle free for 3 years and 32K miles (partly why I went for my '00 Explorer). I did test drive a '00 Accord coupe before I bought the Explorer and it had a bad dash rattle with only 20 miles on the odometer. I'm convinced I have a curse (or my expectations are way too high).
    I, myself, think I am too anal about stuff like that(rattles, noises and such). My wife looks at me like I'm a freak when we're driving down the road and I "think" I hear some weird noise and I turn the radio down and bend my head towards the dash. I think I need counseling!!!!
    So far, the only rattles I've had are the CD's in the center console, and that's been right from the start.

However, I don't think that that's a fault of the car, the CD boxes just aren't soft enough ;-)

Skip G.
  • stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    Gustafsc: ABS was never standard with the V6? I could have sworn ...

Anyway, I knew Traction Control was an option from day one. Maybe the ABS is a "standard option" with the Sport or Convenience groups? Is that where I went wrong with my info?

I don't wanna be wrong! LOL!

Ryster, I'm 6'6", and you're right, the econo-coffins just don't do it for me in the roominess department, but the Cougar is nice and big in the front seats! I don't have too many rattles, and none of them are apparent on the highway. It's not until I hit the crappy roads that I drive on everyday, and I wouldn't consider them bad after three years of ownership (I drove off the lot in my Cat on July 10, 1998 - hard to believe it's been three years already, and I LOVE this car!)

Anyway, I think that if you test drive one that has rattles, then try another one and perhaps it wont. It's like picking eggs at the grocery store - you have to check to see which ones are broken. :-)

Take care, and Happy Cougaring!
    I just wanted to thank you all for your responses re: the Cougar. This is by far the the best forum on this site!

I have run and rerun the numbers for a Cougar several times now, and there simply is no way I feel comfortable buying one right now. With the Firestone/rollover dilemma still fresh in the minds of consumers, the trade-in value of my Explorer has plummeted. It has depreciated close to 50% in less than one year. Granted they aren't known for their stellar resale, but there has definitely been an accelerated loss.

If Mercury were to offer a 0.9% for 60month program like Ford has been known to do, it would be very possible. The current $2K rebate with conventional financing isn't enough to comfort the blow of having to roll over $3.5K from the Explorer.

The Cougar is still on the top of my list should the market change. Things should really get interesting in the next 6 weeks as the end of the model year approaches.
    Those two options go together. I've got the V6, MTX, Sport & Convience packs. No ABS or Traction Control.

Skip G
    Ryster:

Have you checked out the Cougar Support Group's threads on this site? If not, we are located in the Owner's Club area. Just about everyone in this thread also posts in the CSG's threads along with numerous others. We also have a web site:

http://www.cougarsupportgroup.com
  • dmitcheldmitchel Member Posts: 7
    On June 6th my car rolled back when I left it running (I *thought* in park)
    while I got out and opened the garage door... as I am unlocking the garage I hear gravel moving and look back to see my car impaling the drivers door on a telephone pole.

It was late and after I realized that there really was damage - the door would not come close to closing! The outside looked fine - but the inside door panel was tweaked and it was totally out of alignment.

This is a leased car btw...
    OH MY! It is late at night and I am stunned and heart broken - I LOVE THIS CAR - it does not even have 4000 miles on it!

Early the next morning I am on the phone to my insurance company... the beginning of my horrors...

First it took my insurance company from the 7th of June until the 24th to get an appraiser out so the car could be towed to a body shop... the body shop recommended to me by the dealership...

Here we are on the 17th of July and I still am without my car...

So I am on the phone forever today with Ford ....

Asking -
    1. Is it true that a door must be ordered raw and painted at the auto body shop and
    2. Is it reasonable to believe that the door came from the factory without the molding
    3. Is the fact that I have been without a car for 40 days "normal"

And the answer is - "We are really sorry and yes the door and the molding were ordered separately and the door had to be painted at the body shop and while there is not a "back order" on the molding - there is a delay...

Huh? This is never going to be the same I fear - and worse - when will I have my car again?

sigh....
    O Brother!! Don't you just love FMC's "Customer (we don't care) Hot Line"? I have dealt with them in the past. Although they were VERY polite, they didn't help me one bit.

Hopefully things will go smoothly and you will have your Kitty back in a few days. I have my fingers crossed for you.
    a a a a!

YES - they really were polite - and useless!

sigh... and I am still cat-less!

ALSO - anyone else annoyed with the placement of the fuse box where the left foot pedal is?

AND the lame feature of not being able to remove the ashtray while the car is in park?

OR the blind spots on either side...

I love the car - don't get me wrong - just in missing it I am dwelling on the negative!
  • lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    dmitchel, you hit the one true weak point of the Cougar: you can't see out the back of the thing to either side. Eventually, one learns to drive very carefully in traffic and only cuts off a few people every day...

Add seeing out the back and 50 horsepower and the cat is pure gold.
    You might consider using the side mirror a lot more. Set it to cover the blind area, glance to see what you can see, and then look into the mirror. No cutting people off!!!!

Also, if you're really paying attention to what's going on around you, you'll know if anybody's there in the first place.

Try driving a truck with absolutely no rear or side vision, and you'll get used to using the mirrors real fast.

Skip G
    I DO use the side mirrors - all the time as well as the rear view mirror - but there are still blind spots - and if you are driving at a steady speed on a multi-lane freeway and all traffic is about the same pace - it is very easy to forget that someone crept into a blind spot on one side or the other. I am a fanatic about checking all mirrors before I move - and I have had some scary moments getting used to knowing for certain - that no matter what - I have blind spots. I think it is better to know that than to not - I love the car - but it could be an issue they should look into for future designs.
This discussion has been closed.