Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf vs Honda Civic

Comments

• mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    For the latest on the 1999 Generation 4 VW Golf, join this discussion.

carlady/host
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    I'm getting so wrapped up in all these topics I'm starting to lose track of them all...

Anyway, as an incurable car buff who half hopes his '86 4Runner keels over so he can go car shopping again, I offer this:

Honda has no 5 door hatch or compact wagon. Advantage: VW. For those of us with people and stuff to haul around, a 2 door Civic, coupe or hatch, won't cut it. May I also throw in the notion that the upcoming Ford Focus (16 valve 140hp), as a hatch or wagon, could offer a combination of sport and utility (hee hee) that neither VW or Honda (or anyone?) could match...1998 European Car of the Year!
  • volfyvolfy Member Posts: 274
    Golf has been steadily gaining weight through the years while Civic HB has pretty much kept the same dimensions (so it seems to me). Mk4 Golf is now a quite a bit bigger car than the current Civic. Not that I think bigger is necessarily better, but while Civic has stayed the pinnacle of frugality, Golf/Jetta has gone substantially upscale. Jetta GLX is almost knocking on BMW 3-series' doors.

A Civic going happily on a 1.6L engine, and a Golf IV underpowered with a 2.0L are just not a fair comparison.
    Yup, I think you hit the nail on the head. these two cars have grown too distant to be fairly compared. the Golf is bigger, heavier, and comes better equipped, and is therefore quite a bit more money. The civic HB steadfastly holds the line on price, but also on size, amenities, and uh..doors. Actually, the HB market is getting pretty wierd. The swift is smaller than the civic and a woeful performer, so it doesn't really rate as a direct competitor. No toyota HB at all...no Nissan either...BMW 318ti closer to Golf in size but MUCH more expensive and more powerful. Methinks this whole comparison discussion might be fundamentally flawed.
    I agree. Hatchbacks lost favor among car buyers in the 90's along with pure sports cars and sporty 2 seater coupes. Most Japanese makes have abandoned these segments entirely. Didn't Honda quit Civic and Accord HB's for a while? I, of course, blame it all on the SUV :-)

The surviving hatchbacks are evolving into two polarized markets. On one end: the El Cheapo Geo, excuse me, Chevrolet Metro microcars. The other: upscale 318ti and Golf IV Euro-mobiles.

VW may deny it, but Golf IV GTI in reality has lost the sharp and raucous pocket-rocket dynamics of the original GTI. AS powerful as the VR6 is, it is now more of a luxo-sporty mini-stationwagon. Somehow I get the feeling VW is chasing ex-GTI drivers upscale. Fine by me, because the suspension mods I used to think is "firm yet not harsh" now feels more like "punishing but won't quite send me to the chiropractor". Bravo, VW.
    yes yes..
    I have a 1986 4Runner. Stripped down, bare bones, beat the hell out of it-practical. I wish they had stayed that way. As a car buff, I really hate the way these vehicles have moved upscale (leaving me unable to replace a truck I actually use as a truck) and robbed the marketplace of some great cars. I do think that the pendulum will swing back, though. We all realize that the Subaru boom has a lot to do with the fact that no one REALLY wanted the truck part- just the room and rugged image. I think the whole thing will evolve into a segment of super-wagons within 5 years or so. Especially if we get a correction in gas prices. My underpowered toyota 22RE 4 banger that is so "grossly underpowered" (as my mom describes it) will, at least, be on the road while those 14mpg monsters sit in driveways...
    As for the GTI, Ferry Piech made it quite clear he intends to take the entire VW line up market and slide Seat and Skoda in where VW used to reside- fat lot of good that does us in the U.S., though. The polarization you describe is worrisome. I hope the 2K Ford Focus is a catalyst for expansion in the affordabe and sporting compact segment. If u.s. buyers don't support that car, we'll have only ourselves to blame when the choice is a Civic available only in urban commuter guise (c'mon, honda! howabout an Si, for chrissake!?) and Golfs with so much "value added" standard features that a 4 door bases at 17k.
    If the 4runner chokes...Focus wagon, here I come!
  • ottooottoo Member Posts: 3
    I really want to buy a new Golf, but I'm finding they are in short supply in Northern California. The result is that most dealers are expecting to get full sticker or ever so slightly less ( God forbid you actually want to specify a color preference). I can get a Honda Civic for at least 1500.00 less, so naturally I'm looking in that direction. Anyone want to convince me otherwise? I can't wait 6 months until the supply situation changes, I need the car in 4 weeks at the latest.
  • maggie9maggie9 Member Posts: 3
    Excuse me, Ottoo, can you tell me are the dealerships in No. Calif. saying they'll have enough Golfs to meet demand in six months? Do you know if that's the case in general in the U.S.?

I'd like a Golf, too. But I'm out of the country until the fall. However, I'll need to buy as soon as I get back.
    If you really want to buy a Golf, why not wait a few months for the inventory structure to settle a bit? I have read a lot of complaints about VW in these forums. Not that I think VW has done no wrong. In fact, I think VWoA should have done something about dealers gouging New Beetle customers; that is just shameful.

On the other hand, I also think Ferdinand Piech has performed nothing short of a miracle in turning VW&Audi around from the pitiful state they were in just a few years back. In terms of product quality, value and appeal, VW&Audi has once again become the market leader.

Well, all this growing has got to cause some pain. Restructuring can't be completed overnight. When supply catches up with demand, and it will, prices will soften. I want to buy a Golf also, but I'll wait till the 2000 model year (1.8T hopefully). Right after a new major model introduction is just not the right time to buy for a value shopper. This applies to any car. But, if your lease is up or your old car is shedding parts as we speak, then well...

Honda Civic is a nice car, and if it fits your target profile, by all means, go for it. But as I've said elsewhere in this forum, Golf and Civic have grown far enough apart through the year that about the only thing they have in common is that they are both hatchbacks.

Good luck.
  • mkesslermkessler Member Posts: 1
    Yes hello otto, im currently trying to decide on to go for the VW Golf or the Honda Civic Hatchback. I realy like the new Golfs. The Civics just look ugly with the way the hatch is formed. But I know some about reliability with the Civic. So im wondering how these to match up on reliability and saftey. And if the Golf is worth its money. Thanks Later
  • ottooottoo Member Posts: 3
    I decided to pay a little more and wait for the Golf (hard to locate right now in the SF Bay area). The Civic is okay but kind of dull, I just can't get excited about it. If you are spending money for a new car (in any case quite a chunk of cash), I think that getting what you really want is worth the extra. Reliability with VW's is definitely an issue, but it really is a new company in a sense. I think VW is smart enough to know they are betting it all on getting back the N. American market, and cheaply made cars won't cut it. After driving a New Golf and checking it out closely, the workmanship on the interior and visible parts is excellent. I find it hard to believe that VW would put a low-quality engine, etc. in a well-designed car like this. The interior was really great, very German in style. The Civic interior looked like my mom's minivan....
    It is just about official that VW will put the 1.8T in the 2000 Golf/Jetta either as an option or to replace the 2.0L. You might wanna wait just a little longer.
  • maggie9maggie9 Member Posts: 3
    I visited an auto show here in Germany over the weekend to check out the Golf IV. Looks good. But turning the back seat into a hatch was a lot more trouble than I'd like. One has got to yank off the rear headrests, an awkward procedure, at least in the 2 door, pull the back seats forward and off, and slide the front seats just about all the way forward to get a flat surface in the hatch. For me this hassle is a real drawback.

The Audi A3 hatchback has the same problem.

Mazda's 323 hatchback, on the other hand, still has the old simple solution to turning the car into a delivery vehicle. It takes one two- fingered hand, which could also be in a cast or sprained, and about 15 seconds to accomplish with no strain or stretching. Really too bad the 323 HB is no longer being marketed in the US (which is where I'm going to have to buy soon). My old 323 was a great car. Economical, practical, and completely reliable. Too bad I sold it.

For some reason, though brands as odd as Lancia and as common as Ford were at the show, Honda didn't turn up. Does anybody have any idea what is involved in creating a flat surface in the hatch of the Honda hatchback?

Maggie
  • lex28lex28 Member Posts: 5
    If i were to get a hatchback, I'd get the VW Golf. Honda has virtually abandoned the US hatchback market. The only serious producer to sell hatchbacks here is VW. But the Daewoo Lanos, I think the name of it is, is making an appearance for 99. It is true the rest of the world gets the good hatchbacks while the US get the skin and bones. Write your US congressperson that you want the US to stop using our military might to manipulate oil rich countries into lowering their prices for the US and gas prices will raise once again. Then the popularity of small and midsized cars will increase and the shores of the US will be awashed with hatchbacks.
    Uhhh... I don't think so, Tim.
  • bertbert Member Posts: 1
    Great comments on the reliability v. driveability issue. Put ABS into the mix and th VW comes out as the ABS Honda are hard to find. I read a 'research' sometime ago that said you will use your airbag an average of 1 per 7 to 10 years but you will use ABS once a year. So far with 5 years of ABS experience on a Minivan (I'M selling it and buying a Golf GLS) i have used ABS 3 or 4 times and no airbag uses (some close calls however)

Since ABS is standard on the VW you avoid the salesman shuffle of "We only sell what we have" When ABS is not standard the salesman shuffle around and can never find or rarely find the ABS equipped car.

It is better to avoid an accident (via ABS) than have one and "survive" with an airbag.

AVAILABILITY
    Check with car advantage.com and the mega dealers in LA. Since VW makes both a CA EPA certified car and a 49 state car, the Calif cars may be harder to find, I found some in Oregon but they are not Calif EPA certified but will, most likely pass the emmissions test (my 94 van passed although not CA EPA)

If you buy in Oregon and register in Calif then the DMV charges you an extra $300 to register in Calif plus the "use tax" and car license tax.

ANY NEW GOLF OWNERS OUT THERE THAT CAN GIVE US BUYERS SOME COMFORT WITH THE NEW 99 GOLF?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    It's just that the market for hatchbacks is a dying one, or it seems to be.

They have their fans, to be sure, but they appeal to very few.
  • sftroublsftroubl Member Posts: 9
    Honda hatchbacks may be alive and well, but I've seen zero effort by Honda to advertise them in the last couple years. VW, on the other hand, sold more hatchbacks last year (Golfs and Beetles) than it has in at least a decade because it made the effort to A) design an appealing new model, B) advertise.
  • karchykarchy Member Posts: 2
    Does Honda make a 1999 hatchback and can I get it with automatic and air?
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Yes, Honda makes the Civic in hatchback form. It's available with automatic, and a/c is a dealer installed option.

My opinion on the Civic HB vs. Golf:
    The new Golf/GTI is a really great car, but a Honda Civic hatchback way undercuts it on price. The GTI has standard equipment power locks, side airbags, and ABS, but there's a huge price difference. Also, the Civic hatchback gets 32 city/37 hwy with stick, whereas the Golf 2-dr 4-cyl gets 24/31. According to Car and Driver, the Civic HB "looks like a nerd's shoe". If you can afford to pay a few thousand dollars more for a safer, more fun economy car, the Golf is the way to go. But the Civic will probably have better reliability and cheaper maintenance.
  • sebargesebarge Member Posts: 50
    They said that? LOL!! We have started looking for a reliable, gas saving, commuter car, and the DX Hatchback is one of them. Ha, that quote is just funny. 'Course, with these mags, they go for power and looks, and forget about gas consumption and affordability and room and cost ... on and on.
    Just had to comment on the above quote. Made me smile.
  • exocet1exocet1 Member Posts: 1
    The Jetta is an extremely reliable car. It has more zip than Honda and three times the warranty coverage. The cam shafts in both the Honda and the Acura are problem areas as is the distributor.
    Resale on the Acura is so-so. Resale on the Jetta is much better. The Jetta is cheaper to repair,
    and maintenance costs are lower.
    The GTI with 4wheel discs will out perform the Honda. Honda is way over rated and an old design.
    The new Accord coupes are bigger than Camaros.
    Sorry, but camshafts in Hondas are not "problem areas" Not one bit, unless you never change your oil.

Distributors? Maybe after 150,000 miles.

Volkswagen HAD to go to a long (but read the fine print) warranty because they were being blasted by Consumer's Reports and others for afwul reliability.

They had to so something in a desperate attempt to save their business!

I keep hearing the new ones are better. I'll be happy to modify my opinion of VW products if that proves to be the case and I guess time will tell!

Sorry...just couldn't read that without responding! :)
  • steve05401steve05401 Member Posts: 50
    cheeses me off to hear people talking about how VW now has such a better warranty than practically any other make. yeah, it's 10 yr/100000 miles-- but it's a powertrain warranty only! the bumper-to-bumper on VW's remains a pathetic 2 yr/24000 miles, which is, to me, the clearest indicator of VW's lack of confidence in their products' over-all reliability. been reading the Passat topics since last fall, and time and time again, i read about NEW Passats' irritating quality problems. if i've just plunked down $21000 for a car, i don't expect shorts in the electrical wiring... radios to suddenly stop working... bizarre sounds emanating from the area of the moonroof... power windows that decide not to work... brake lights on the fritz.... etc.... i'm amazed that many of these new VW owners are willing to tolerate this kind of crap. YES, i agree-- the driving experience of a Passat is quite a thrill, but that doesn't compensate for what are still all-too-common quality problems of VWs.
    Electrical problems in a Volkswagen? Power windows that don't work??

This can't be!!!
  • parisianparisian Member Posts: 4
    Just wanted to add my comments about the ongoing debate of Honda vs. VW. Sorry if this is a little bit off topic, but I've been reading this site because I am trying to decide between a 1999 new Golf TDI for long-distance commuting and a Honda Civic HX Coupe or Civic hatchback. This new car, whatever it turns out to be, will be a supplement to our existing cars.

We are a two-car family: one 5-speed 1997 Jetta GLX (VR6) and one 5-speed 1996 Honda Civic LX. They are both *good* cars, but I would have to say that the Jetta is the *better* car. It handles better - more connected to the road, better steering response. And even with the VR6, it gets 31-32 MPG highway if treated with respect. The drawback is that it IS slightly noisier than the Honda (and I know we're not talking apples to apples here because of the difference in engines), but still more enjoyable to drive.

The sheet metal on the VW is several powers of ten better than the Honda, too. One push on the Civic door and you've got yourself a nice ding. Not so on the Jetta. This carries through in the way that the doors themselves act as they open and close. There is a harsh, cheap, clangy sound to the Civic doors as they close - complete with a little shudder. No similar characteristic on the Jetta. I wouldn't say this difference is due to a difference in body style; they are both 4-door cars.

Same with the trunk. The VW has sound deadening materials in the trunk, *including* some on the underside of the trunk hood. The underside of the Honda trunk is totally uninsulated, and doesn't even look like it was clearcoated. It, too, makes a nice tinny sound when it is closed. This defect in fit and finish lets a lot of noise into the car, unfortunately taking away the advantage the Honda has in a quieter engine.

Finally, there is the seating situation. I find the seats in the Honda to be low and unsupportive. They also don't elevate vertically far enough to suit my taste, and the process of getting in and out of the Honda in a dress is exasperating at best. ALL fabric sticks to that annoying velour interior (whatever happened to woven fabric interiors, Honda?) and the process is one of scrunching down (getting in) or rolling out. At 5'6" I don't consider myself to be terribly tall; it's just that the extreme slope of the front door opening makes things awkward.

Well, those are my comments on the continued VW vs. Honda debate. Hope these minor details, none of which you necessarily notice as you're in the rush of buying a car and driving it for 10-15 minutes or so, are helpful to someone.
  • steve05401steve05401 Member Posts: 50
    Thanks for your lengthy, well-written note. Your points are well-taken and right on the money, from what i know of both VW and Honda. But--- you didn't address at all the question of reliability for both cars you own. Please discuss that with us. Any problems at all with either one?
    There have been no problems with either the Civic or the VW. The Civic has almost 70k miles, and is still running on two of its original tires and 100% original brakes, thanks to the fact that the great majority (95%+) of its miles are highway miles.

Same for the VW - 36k miles, and no problems at all so far. Again, highway miles are the rule.

When the time for repairs does come, though, it will likely be much more expensive on the VW with that VR6 engine and associated powerplant jammed in the tiny front engine housing.

We are lucky enough to have two experienced non-dealer mechanics; one who has extensive experience with the European engines, and one who is a certified Honda mechanic working on his own; both their shop rates are much lower than the EXORBITANT $60+ rate charged by the VW dealer.

The Jetta is actually the sixth VW I have owned, preceded by a 1978 Rabbit, a 1981 Jetta, a 1984 Jetta, and a 1992 Passat. Only the Passat posed any problems at all; when it was just less than five years old I found out that the air conditioning condenser had rotted (maybe due to the fact that I rarely use A/C), and the fix was anticipated to cost at least $600. I traded it in, because at that time it had over 120,000 miles and I wanted something a little smaller and less dowdy looking. (Those 1992 Passats weren't things of beauty, if you know what I mean.)
    Oops! Correction to my previous note. It is the *fifth* VW I have owned. There have been two other VWs in the family, though. My parents also owned a 1980 Rabbit and a 1981 Rabbit truck.

That truck (made in Wilmington, PA - during the only 3 (? I think) year period VWs were ever made in the States) was an unmitigated disaster. Electrical problems galore, water pump that went at 20k miles, solenoid that went out, and a rusting habit that beat any Subaru or Ford of comparable vintage hands down.

However, I know someone else who has a 1980 Rabbit diesel truck, lovingly cared for and regularly serviced, and it has 130,000 miles on it. I have been thinking about buying it.
  • jdelayjdelay Member Posts: 5
    Oh gosh.... I started reading this forum because I am trying to decide whether to get a Civic DX HB or a VW Beetle or New Golf. From VW I like the safety of the car (particularly the Beetle) and how solid it feels, but I dont like that they seem to consume quite a bit more fuel than the Civic. Does it really make a difference in terms of monthly expenses? Also, I may end up having to move to Europe and then I would be really scared given the price of fuel there and that you have to pay about $300 more per year in taxes given the engine size. On the other hand, I think I like the Civic's handling (I need to test drive it again) and of course the low fuel consumption & reliability (although I dont feel they are as safe...hmmm). What to do? Or maybe I should wait and see if I do go to Europe and choose there from a much bigger variety of HBs, although they seem to be more expensive than here (I like the new Peugeot 206, it has gotten great reviews!).

I am really confused, please help!
  • slickrick1slickrick1 Member Posts: 12
    I don't know if you've considered this, but if you're very concerned about fuel consumption you may look at the New Golf or New Beetle with a TDI diesel engine. If you don't mind a manual, and don't mind a little less hp, that may be perfect for your needs. Good luck in your decision!

Rich
  • taliesintaliesin Member Posts: 3
    The VW TDI engine (in any of the models) should be strongly considered... when it comes down to day-to-day driving the torque is what really matters and the TDI has a lot more than a Civic and from a much lower RPM (155 lb/ft at 1900rpm).

Not to mention fuel mileage that also exceeds the Civic (42-50 mpg). Not to mention superior handling and road feel... safety... etc.

It will cost more, but for a long term vehicular investment, you'll be more satisfied. I know I am (99 Golf GLS TDI).
  • erichyoungerichyoung Member Posts: 1
    >"O.K. VW lovers.. I'll admit that they are >getting better but they are still not the >250,000 mile carthat a Honda is."

FACTS:

I owned a '89 Golf 3 Hatchback which achieved 250,000 on one engine.

I owned 5 different 76' to 79' Hondas that in aggregate achieved 300,000.

MY CONCLUSION:

It really doesn't matter which car you have; some make it longer that others. So in general, I'd say maintain your car well and it *might* serve you well.

The Hondas couldn't take the abuse, but the VW could.
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    JD. If it is a real possibility that you are moving to Europe, I would suggest you hold on until you know. The cost of shipping a vehicle to Europe, plus the possible extra costs of having it modified to meet E.U. emissions could be quite high.

I don't know what expenses your employer will/will not cover.
  • jaycjayjaycjay Member Posts: 2
    A couple of messages back is a comment that implies that the TDI engine is only available with a 5-speed. Just wanted to correct that, the automatic is an available option with the TDI, and while they seem to be rare I have seen them at NY dealers.
  • alextalext Member Posts: 63
    Like many others in this forum, I'm trying very hr\ard to decide between buying a 99 Honda Civic HX coupe and a 99 NW golf TDI. Both get amazing mileage (35/43, the best of any honda and 42/49 for the golf), which is good for someone like me who runs up at least 2k miles a month. The benefits of the Honda are a slightly faster engine (115hp vs 95), standard alloy wheels, the wider availabilty of gas, and a better basic warranty. The golf on the other hand looks much better (or at least much more unique) and comes with a great assortment of standard features including A/C, 8-speaker tape player (vs the honda's standard 4-speaker radio), a security system for the car and the stereo, and much more. Although it has less overall hp, it has better low-end torque than the honda (which is notorious for having no power until the rpm's climb into the 5k's). The golf also has a more rigid body, suspendion and handling. The big difference come sin the price. The Honda runs about $13,000 whereas the golf is up at $16,000. Of course, if you add up all the features the golf has that are on the golf they would probably total around that $3k difference. Not to mention the savings in diesel costs. So, as most of you know, it's a very tough decision. When it comes to style, the golf looks cooler. However, while hondas are about as common as white bread, there is a huge variety of aftermarket products inclusing rims, body kits, spoilers, etc. that can customize a honda indefinitely. VW can be similarly equipped, but the products aren't as popular or widespread.

One final thing to remember about the HX and the golf TDI is the fact that they aren't easy to find. The HX is one of Honda's best-kept secrets and few dealerships carry them. The VW diesel engine is just as rare. So, unfortuneately, this gives the dealer the upper-hand as demand may outweigh supply and force the buyer into paying MSRP and above (especially with the golf).

Hope this little run down helps some confused buyers out there (it sure isn't helping me...)
    If anyone else has some really nitty-gritty stuff that may sway me and the rest to either Germany or Japan, I'm all eyes.
  • alextalext Member Posts: 63
    Just wanted to mention, concerning my last post, the mileage figures were both for manual transmission. I do not recommend getting a VW golf with an automatic tranny as it is both sluggish and much less fuel efficient. However, the civic HX auto employs the virtually unknown CVT (continuously variable transmission) which was invented around the turn of the century but wasn't used by a major car company until Honda put it in the civic in 1996. What it does is removes gearshifts entirely and has a series of belts and cones which are smoothly and constantly changing the gear ratio. What good is this CVT technology? Well, for one thing it eliminates the annoying, hard shifts that many automatics make (especially older hondas) where the rpm's climp incessantly higher before the up-shift is made, and it also makes for one of the best gas mileage of any auto that I know of (34/39!). So, if you're not a real driver (and believe me, manual is REAL driving), you regularly use a cellphone, have to deal with bumper-to-bumper traffic or are just lazy, than the civic HX CVT is the best choice. As far as reliabilty of the CVT tranny, I don't really know much about it. I would guess that a rubber belt system, as opposed to a metal gear system, would be prone to more maintenance costs (just as a timing belt must be replaced, but a timing chain does not).
  • maureenmaureen Member Posts: 1
    Hi, we at just getting into the VW's and thinking of buying a 1997 golf. It look in very good condition and only has 22,000klm on the clock. It is automatic with air, but does not have power doors or mirrors and does not have a radio although the dealer said they will fit one. We have only been able to find American sites to get a suggested value, has anyone any suggestions what we should offer for it.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Maureen, am I correct in thinking that you are not selling your car in the USA? You may want to check out our Smart Shopper conference to see what others, particularly Canadians, have done to compare prices.

carlady/host
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    I have read on VWVortex that some VW's with the TDI/automatic combination are indeed trickling into dealers. The mileage figure for the auto is 34/45 compared to 42/49 for the stick. Still very respectable.

Those who have driven the TDI/auto seem to like it better than the stick because the auto does a much better job of keeping the engine at low rpm's than a human could with a stick. (The TDI doesn't have much power high up in the rev band, so it needs to be kept at low rpm for quick takeoffs. This goes against human nature, if you know what I mean.)
  • ymosymos Member Posts: 1
    My fiance and I just decided to buy her a '99 Golf GL over a Honda DX hatchback. Test drives showed more power and comfort features in the VW vs. the Honda. I'm looking forward to it!
  • bbosleybbosley Member Posts: 2
    HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK THE 99 GOLFS WILL GO DOWN IN
    PRICE WHEN THE 2000 COME OUT?
  • sweennyjsweennyj Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking about buying a 99 VW Golf GLS..Anyone out there own one..Need some feed back
  • weatherdanweatherdan Member Posts: 28
    I bought a 99 GLS in April. Great car. Had a few initial probelms (airbag light on dashboard would not go out; VW had to replace the whole drivers-side system) but overall it has been fine.
    Also had a vibration/squeak near the sunroof that was driving me nuts until yesterday when, in frustation, I rammed my hand against the sunroof controls. Viola! No more vibration! My only gripes: Engine revs very high at highway speeds and gas mileage is not that good (have an automatic). Perhaps it will get better as the engine breaks in. I like the cargo space a lot. Handles great. Excellent brakes.
  • sweennyjsweennyj Member Posts: 2
    Anyone else out there purchase a new 99 golf recently? Still looking for info.
  • vr6fan2vr6fan2 Member Posts: 2
    more vw's sold in germany than japaness cars so more will break down
  • vr6fan2vr6fan2 Member Posts: 2
    have you ever heard of a vw diessel with less then 380+k miles before it dies
  • bluedog63bluedog63 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

Just discovered this site, and I feel like it was meant for me! Currently drive a (don't cringe, folks!) 1993 Ford Festiva GL (auto/air), she's a real creampuff. I really think she's done a great job, despite being a Toy Car. I've seen smaller cars in England, so I don't feel too bad. A couple of problems, mostly due to short city hops, rather than highway mileage: replaced muffler twice, entire exhaust system once, emergency brake "froze up"--once no biggie, second time major bucks because I drove it and wrecked the right rear tire (don't ask--lots of ice, thought I was dragging a chunk--d-uh!), and the odometer went on me at around 37k, had to have it replaced, $$$. However, for a $7000 car, I guess I can't complain, except for my own DUMB mistakes!

Sorry this is so long, but I am looking for a new car and I LOVE hatchbacks! Agree the demise of the Mazda 323 HB is lamentable--we went with a 1993 Escort Wagon (my husband's car, and he loves it), because the 323 was no longer available, although the two were on the same platform at the time (Mazda (323) Protege coupe was more $ than the Escort wagon!).

Questions:

1) What is the new Ford Focus supposed to be?
    I test-drove a 1999 Escort sedan, and no legroom, cheap interior, loud engine, but decent handling (automatic--I am NOT A REAL DRIVER!) :)
    So, is the Ford Focus supposed to be a new hatchback, and when is it due out?

2) Bottom-line time: Price, reliability, safety, and comfort (never mind the joy-ride), I need a safe, reasonably-priced commuter car that is either a hatch or a wagon--I drive a round-trip 110 miles a day to work on a two-lane road behind tractors and tractor-trailers. I have 3 dogs I like to cart around with me, and can't take the slobber on the upholstery in a sedan! Hatch's are great for dogcrates or just keeping the happy pooches out of my hair!

I am debating the NEW Golf GLS (automatic, air, cruise, 4-door) or one of the Honda Civics (haven't really researched them yet), with the same options. By the time I add on air, auto, and cruise (if available) on the Honda Civic, isn't it going to cost me what the new Golf GLS costs now with those options, close to $18,000?

Any guidance/advice/suggestions/opinions very welcomed! Thanks for your patience on reading this overlong missive!

bluedog63
  • wicketeerwicketeer Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at the Golf TDI as a most reliable, great mileage vehicle to replace my Toyota standard pick-up for 40,000 miles a year duty. The Toyota, with 135,000 miles on it, is great, the last small pick-up to come out of Tora Tora Tora land. I have used Mobil One since the beginning and the current compression is better than when I purchased the truck new in 1994. The Golf diesel intrigues me for it is manufactured in Wolfsburg. What is the feel for this vehicle? Deutschland Uber Alles!
  • sftroublsftroubl Member Posts: 9
    There will be a hatchback Focus; also a sedan and wagon. The hatch has very distinctive, love-it-or-hate-it styling. You might get a Civic for slightly less than the Golf, but it's an older design and a much less refined car.