Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf vs Honda Civic

Comments

• sentra20sersentra20ser Member Posts: 68
    I think that Honda's are nice cars. I have owned 10 Civic's ranging from a '88 CRX Si to a '97 Acura(Honda)Integra GSR. The Integra is nothing more then a fancy Civic with a real motor.
    Nice PRACTICAL cars. Greman cars are more then that. I used to never understand it. Why would someone buy a Jetta GL over a Civic EX Sedan? The reason is that is some people want more and some want detail. The Jetta GL has less options, but the things that it does have are far superior. The Civic EX has everything, but the car still looks simple. I have never heard the word cheap used with VW. I never saw the difference until I owned a VW. Now it is night and day and I could never go back. My next car will probably be a BMW of some type. Are you going to tell me I should have bought a Acura? A person that wants a BMW is not going to drive an Acura. It will not even cross their mind. This post has no right answer. It is all about opinions. I say if you have the money go with a VW.
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    This is the reason this post died for a few months.. Because there is no right answer. Also everyone seems to forget that this is about a base Golf vs. Honda HB CX or DX. There was (they don't make HBs anymore to compare prices) a $2-3K difference between a base Golf GL or base GTI with the 115hp motor. I think people buy the Civics because they cost less (I paid $12.5K for my '97 HB w/AC) and get better gas mileage. These are the reasons I bought mine plus great reliability. With 120k mi. on my odo I haven't had any problems and I beat the crap out of the car. I have driven a couple of Golfs and although I don't think much of the early to mid '90s Golfs (in my opinion they drove worse that Civics and didn't feel solid or strong or anything), I do believe the latest generation Golfs are more solid and safer. All you have to do is look at the weight. My DX HB weights 2258lbs. The average Golf weighs 2700-2800lbs. But the Golf also comes with more options, a better stereo, etc. and of course it costs more. So this was never a fair comparison to begin with. It's also underpowered for its weight. 115hp is not enough to provide that much excitement in a 2700+lb car.
    I do believe the VW Golf is built a little better, provides a more solid feel and decent road feel compared to a stock Civic HB. This is stock to stock. The Civic HB is more of an economy car with excellent gas mileage. I average 34-35mpg on the highway doing 80mph and never less than 31-32 in city driving with a heavy foot. My VW friend's average mid 20's. So anyway, just looking at the price difference and the options, the 2 cars cannot be compared together. Looks are objective, and the only thing they have in common is the hatch. I personally thing if I were going to spend $15K (price of a base Golf) I 'd probably get the Sentra SE which is more than comparably equipped and much much faster than any 2.0L Golf or Civic EX.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
    Just put some 15x7" wheels on a Civic HB, with 205-50 ZR rated rubber with NO other mods, and watch it dance circles around any Golf or GTI. My brother who owned a '95 Integra LS at the time (now has a '98 Type-R) drove in the HB with me a few days after the wheels/tire upgrade. He could not believe the handling and said that my HB handled better than his stock Integra LS. The Civic became transformed on the twisties and when taking any turn. Now I 'll let you in another secret. The Civic handled just as good with the 15x7" wheels as my '99 GSR before I made any mods to it. That's when I realized the capabilities of the Civic (as far as handling goes) and could only imagine how much it better it would be if I had performance springs, shocks and sway bars on it. I could not stand the Civic being about equal to my GSR so I started modding the GSR and I 'm glad I did. Just goes to show you what some good tires and/or wider wheels (light) can do.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    I think tires and rims can change any cars handling. I think that a stock GSR or Civic handles like crap. I totally agree with getting a Sentra SE over a Civic EX or Jetta GL. I like the new Civic Sedans, but would take a Jetta GL over one anyday. On the other had the Sentra SE is one hell of a car.
  • carladycarlady Member Posts: 35
    IMHO, the VW Golf and Honda Civic hatchback attract different drivers. If you want bulletproof, buy the Honda. If you want fun to drive, buy the Golf. The best car for you is the best car for YOU!

carlady
    Host
    News & Views and Hatchbacks Message Boards
    our host puts very wisely.. and she never makes any waves :-)
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    And such very fine words you have there, only1harry!

carlady
    Host
    Carlady, what year(s) did honda make a hatchback EX model?
    none that I can think of.. (Si HB yes, but not EX)

I guess this was a trick question? :-)
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • wordman93wordman93 Member Posts: 36
    I agree that Hondas in general are more reliable than Volkswagens in all aspects. My girlfriend had been looking forward to purchasing a 2000 model Civic EX for about a year. I totally supported her because I knew that a new Honda wouldn't have as many problems as a 1999 Volkswagen Jetta or Bug. I was kind upset when she decided to purchase a Toyota. Corrolla instead. I have owned three cars thus far and they have all been Volkswagen ranging from 1987 to 2000. I know that they are not bulletproof but I'm willing to put up with their short coming as long as they don't get out of hand. I think most VW owners are proble the same way, because if they've owned older VW's in the past then they are proble aware of the possibilities of future problems.
    I also agree that lighter cars with capable engines (i.e. Honda HatchBack and/or Civic EX) can and will outperform a heavier car with soft suspension ( VW GTI 1.8/ VR6) on a track with alot of twisties, that's a given in my opinion. I didn't upgrade any of my previous VW's to race on the track and I'm not going to upgrade my current VW for that etheir. I know VW's don't do well at autoX's with lots of twisties because they're way to freakin heavy. I just wanted something that was enjoyable to drive, and something that would surprise the heck out of the occasional 5.0 or LT1. (stock) Never could beat Camero's or Firebirds. Sport Compact did a track comparison between a Type R and a 2000 Mustang GT. I can't remember which track they used but to their surprise the Stang beat the Type R. When they took a look at the lap times they realized that the Type R was always ahead on the twisties, but on the big long straight away the Stang killed the R. That's the way I feel about VW's and Honda's when it comes to performance to sum it all up.. Besides I'll save the track for my bike when I get the nerves to get out there. Stock tires or not that's an awsome track weapon.
    I looked at the new '01 car classification for SCCA and it looks like my Turbo Beetle will be in GS class against the GSR. They moved both the Type-R and TT out of GS class. I don't plan on running slicks, but the stock 215/45ZR17 Pilot Sports should stick fine. I can't wait to see how it handles on the track.

As for the Mustang GT and Type-R article. It is one of the best I have ever read in SCC. I love how they tried not to praise the Mustang GT for what it is. I was also surprised they compared a 25k Integra against a 22k Mustang. Why didn’t they use a 22k GSR against a 22k Mustang? That would have been a great story. I’m sure Hot Rod will do the same thing. Lets test a 25k Type-R against a 50k+ CobraR. Or better yet a CobraR against a NSX? When is Edmunds (or somebody) going to do a comparison test putting the ’01 GTI GLS 1.8T with 17’s against a GSR coupe? That is what we all really want to see. :)
    I looked at the new 01 car classification for SCCA and it looks like my Turbo Beetle will be in GS class against the GSR. They moved both the Type-R and TT out of GS class. I don't plan on running slicks, but the stock 215/45ZR17 Pilot Sports should stick fine. I can't wait to see how it handles on the track.

As for the Mustang GT and Type-R article. It is one of the best I have ever read in SCC. I love how they tried not to praise the Mustang GT for what it is. I was also surprised they compared a 25k Integra against a 22k Mustang. Why not compare a 22k GSR against a 22k Mustang? That would have been a great story. Im sure Hot Rod will do the same thing. Lets test a 25k Type-R against a 50k+ Cobra R. Or better yet a Cobra R against a NSX? When is Edmunds (or somebody) going to do a comparison test putting the 01 GTI GLS 1.8T with 17s against a 01 GSR coupe? That is what we all really want to see. :)
  • tommyhatchbacktommyhatchback Member Posts: 1
    What A great discussion! It really points out the difficulty of getting a decent HBK in the states. I have owned Japanese cars for about 25 years. The last four being all Honda (81 Prelude SI, 81 Accord HBk, 88 Accord LXI Coupe, 89 Civic SI HBk) When I look back I believe I owned these cars for fuel economy, handling and recently with the Honda, reliability (each Honda easily going at least 125k with no problems). I now own a 2000 VW Golf Hbk 2.0L. Before I purchased the VW I had decided on another Civic SI Hbk. Hbks as I see it are the most practical shape for a small car. But Honda's decision to discontinue this line, bland Honda styling and rust prone sheet metal forced me to look at other makes. (e.g. Ford Focus ugh!). I was hesitant to buy a VW because the dismal reliability of my friends VWs. I remember when VW bugs would burst into flames, strange electrical problems, Rabbits that would not start. But I really loved the clean lines, great options on the GLS and solid feel of the MKIV. However, now that I've owned the Golf for a few months I find myself longing for the performance and handling of the Civic SI. The much larger engine of the Golf 2.0L vs 1.6L) does not produce the HP it should. The excessive body roll of the Golf on corners makes it feel more like a minivan. Should I take the huge financial hit and trade it in a for Golf Turbo with sport suspension? Maybe I'll just turn up the monsoon sound system and live with it!
    I was thinking the same thing when I first saw the article on the front of SCC. I thought to myself, " they should be comparing a Mustang GT to an Integra GSR, or since the Type R is a special production race version of the GSR they should also use the SVT version of the Stang being the Cobra". That would of been funny though.
    Tommyhatchback, it's pretty easy to get some extra ponies out of that 2.0 of yours, but unless you want to spend the extra money to turbo it I would think about trading it in for the 1.8t instead. I had a 94 four banger that I invested alot of money in trying to get more power out of. To me the MK3 model had a better power to weight ratio compared to the MK4. The car tipped the scales at 2400 lbs. I purchased a European spec engine from German parts & Restoration out of CA for about 2k which out of the box produced 140hp and 138 ft/lbs of torque to the front wheels. You could do the same with your current car but you'd still be slower than the current 1.8t because of all the added weight the MK4 has. Not to mention that turbos also respond better to intake, exhaust, and chipping if you have that kind of stuff in mind.
    Sell it and get the turbo. Maybe you can find a used '00 and take less of a hit.
    I don't really think that was an unfair comparison just because the ITR is $2K more than the GT. Don't forget the GT has 60+HP more than the ITR and it's a V8 vs. a lowly 1.8L 4cyl. V8 vs a I4 is and 60hp difference is what makes the comparison unfair. Still the ITR managed to beat in some categories.
    Wordman93: Do you really think it's fair comparing a 260hp GT against a 170hp GSR?? The price may be the same but they 're 2 different cars.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • civichbcivichb Member Posts: 4
    Now this I know plenty about......the NSX is my dream car. Please....please...please don't make the mistake of even trying to compare any CobraR to an NSX. I understand you know your share of cars through experiance and other factors, but you may want to do some reading on the NSX. They are incredible cars and will give any car under 100K a run for their money. Ivé seen many race and let me tell you.....it takes an incredible car to outpreform these things( and that car certainly isn't any mustang of any kind. I honostly believe it will beat a Viper on a curvy track. Japanese cars are known for being able to perform so well with little horse power due to the way they are built. So......try putting......say........750 hp on a japanese engine( many models vary). Along with an incredibly light body with an aerodynamic structure from h*ll, and you have a god among cars. And yes, my friend, I have seen plenty of GSR beat mustangs of the same price and class! Hondas and Acuras along with other imports perform based on how well you treat them and the quality of the products you put on them to upgrade them. With the right combination of the right material that you put on these things, you could have an incredible car, that will rightfully surprise and humble highhorse-powered vehicles(Mustangs,Camaro,etc.)
    I was only trying to point out the fact that a Mustang GT is no super car in it's class while the Type R is. Look at the differences between a GSR and the ITR, then look at the differences between the Stang GT and the Stang SVT. I understand the whole comparison for the sake of the price, but not really for the performance aspect. The only thing the Mustang has going for it is it's 4.6 SOHC engine. That's really not a high performance V8, compared to the F-Bodies 5.7 V8's, yet the Cobra having basically the same 4.6 only with DOHC(and okay maybe some different bolt on objects) produces more power than the non ram air versions of the F-Bodies. I think that's good technology which is proble why the SVT's engine was choosen as one of ten best engines in 98 and 99 by JD Powers.
    I still wouldn't get a Mustang GT over the Type R though.
    Check this out:

http://Edmunds.com/road tests/first drive/2000/ford/mustang/43944/index.html

I think the $55,000 CorbaR will beat a NIX on a track. A Z06 Corvette, BMW M3, and Viper GAS also will run with a NIX. Personally I would pick the new M3. At $47k (not 100% sure of the price, but at least 90% sure)it is a bargain. The M3 is an all out performance car that doubles as a German luxury coupe.

As for comparing the Mustang CT to a GAR. I think it is fair. Honda people always brag about performance to anyone that buys anything different. The only performance that matters to me is how fast it will go on a road course. A stock Mustang CT in most cases will be faster then a stock GSR. A Type-R will stay close because of its great handling and even beat it on a tight course, but it cost 3k more then a GT. I'm sure 3k would buy you the handling to match the Type-R. Fords CobraR parts bin would be a great place to start. You can argue we are comparing a 4-cylinder to 8-cylinder until you are blue in the face. It is just a way of denying defeat. I used to always make that argument when I lost to Corvette or 911 Turbo. There are many ways to build a sports car. Which is right? (High-RPM low displacement, Medium RPM-Large Displacement, or Forced Induction? FWD, RWD, or AWD?) I can't say. I just try to look at things from the other guys point of view. I do believe that RWD and 6 or more cylinders is a good place to start building a sports car though.

Check out this BMW M3 link. http://roadandtrack.com/RoadAndTrack/Article/jan2001/0101_bmw_m3_pg1.html

We are still talking about the VW Golf and the Honda Civic, are we not? ;-)

carlady
    Host
    How does that sound Carlady?
  • yars007yars007 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the Edmunds TownHall and just wanted to share a little fact with everyone. My '89 VW Golf GL just surpassed the 150,000 mile mark today and it looks like she'll probably be merrily chugging along past the 200,000 mile mark. : ) I have read that a lot of people have been complaining about the reliability of VW's and I felt the need to mention that not all vehicles are necessarily error prone. This is my second VW and it has not had any major problems the entire time I have owned the vehicle, which is 6 years now. My father bought it brand new in '89 and aside from minor repairs he never had any trouble with it either. Before this one I owned a 1985 VW Jetta Diesel (probably the exact opposite of a turbo diesel) that had over 250,000 miles on it when I sold it. The thing had slower acceleration then a riding lawnmower, but it sure kept going and going and going... Anyhoo, just wanted to share my personal experience with VW's. : )

I'm looking at getting myself a brand-spanking-new 2001 VW Golf GTI GLS and was wondering if people feel the upgrade to the 17 inch wheels is a justifiable expense. As I've never had a car with anything even resembling extras I was wondering what people's input was on this. Is there really a noticeable difference between the 17's and the 15's?
    Sounds like a fine topic to create! I look forward to joining you.

carlady
    Host
    Get them. The 15's ride nice on the highway, but suck in the corners. My Beetle has the 17's and I love the way the make the car handle and look. The Wheels are only a $600 option, but you will have a tough time finding a car with them.
    I posted on this topic a few weeks ago on the Sports/coupes/convertibles board. I believe it doesn't include the GTI though. I think it's Impreza 2.5, GSR, Celica & Eclipse.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    If there is already a topic in Coupes, Sports Cars & Convertibles, why not participate there rather than begin another topic here?

carlady
    Host
    that's what I was hinting "my lady" :-)
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • 87golfgt187golfgt1 Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to echo yars007's comments on the reliability of older VWs. I have an '87 Golf GT that I bought in 1990 for $4,900 with 50,000 miles on the odometer. Other than routine maintenance (oil/filter changes, timing belts, battery, tires, etc.) the car has required few repairs in the past eleven years. Today, with more than 170,000 miles, it still handles great ('87 and '88 Golf GT models were based on the 1986 8-valve GTI model -- suspension/engine upgrades and all, plus 4-doors), and the car routinely gets 30-plus mpg, even in high-altitude, mountainous Colorado. The engine uses 1/2-quart of oil every 3,000 miles.

Before owning the Golf I had a 1981 Civic. The Honda burned oil like crazy (soft valves), the engine's 3-barrel carburetor vapor-locked during summer months, and frequent brake repairs on the car were costly.

Hondas are certainly more reliable today than 20 years ago, but I'll stick with my Golf. I prefer the way VWs shift, steer, handle and feel on the road. The only Japanese make I've driven that came close to the "feel" of a VW was a Mazda Protoge EX.
  • rebel_eyerebel_eye Member Posts: 2
    Hello all.
    I thinking of buying a VW GOLF,
    but I am unsure if I should get a CL or GL.
    I want a 2 door version though, I want it to be a little sporty.
    Unfortunately I don't have enough cash for a new one
    so I am geting a 1995.

Can any one advise me on the GL or CL side of things... as in speed etc..?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    This discussion has just be moved back from our archived folder and re-opened. Hope this is helpful. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    If you want reliability, the Honda is probably the better bet. Resale is excellent for both. The Golf has much better seating in my opinion and a heck of a lot more content including the full range of safety items. The Honda might get as much as 10 more mpgs though....one of the Golf's weaker points unless you get the diesel. I've agonized over these two as well. Frankly, I am unimpressed with the interior of the Civic.
  • d7subd7sub Member Posts: 12
    Just Awesome. Drove down from New Hampshire yesterday with the Golf 1.8 manual trans. And was a pleasure driving it for 5 hours to NJ. Nice in fast cruising and comfortable in traffic jams (Hartford and New Haven and Tappan Zee Bridge). Lots of low end torque helped this. Nothing like my Honda 5 speed. Now you may ask why I picked up a used VW 5 hours away? I have been hunting this car for a long time. Wanted 1.8, 5 spd, 4 doors, silver/black, monsoon, and from a certified dealership. Except for some paint chips and a slight crack/chip in front windshield, I am very very happy with the car so far. From Nashua NH to George Washington Bridge, the turbo used only less than half a tank of gas. Any comments from anyone? I also noticed some rear seat noise; I'll check it out this morning. Have a great weekend everyone!!!

:) one happy VW owner,
    /davis.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Was it Trend Motors in Rockaway, NJ?

I recalled seeing a a similar one over there. Did it have the fake HID (blue) bulbs & debadged rear?
    Bought the car in Tulley VW in New Hampshire.

After driving the car in the rain tonight, I feel the wheels are slipping too much when I drive it off the line, even with ASR working. I am looking to replace with 17" BBS by summer with all-weather tires. Any suggestions anybody? Also any such thing as short throw gear box for VW Golf/GTI ??

By the way, that was a great WRC segment tonight on SpeedChannel. Any one else catch it? Subaru is getting their butts kicked by the Peugeot team. I love those Peugeot 206s; wish they bring them here. I would love to see them compete with VW.

/davis.
    Places like Neuspeed.com makes them.

So when are you going to chip it?

another 7,000 miles on my TDI...then it's getting chipped.

I usually watch the WRC coverage on Speed Channel. Those french hatchbacks are pretty nice looking.
    1. This is new to me. Where do I get these awesome chips that people are mentioning to me? And does it matter when I make the switch? Also, I'm thinking of changing to synthetic oil. I don't know if the previous owner used it. So I heard that the engine will have a tough time adjusting to synth oil if it is already used to regular oil.

2. I'm getting noises in the back seat. I'm not sure if it's the rear hatch cover or the seats itself that's making the noise.

3. I think the tire well is just enough for the 15" wheels with 205/65. To increase to 17" with really low profile tires will be very hazzardous in the City's many potholes. Perhaps I'll just stay with the 15" with Bridgestone Potenzas. I'll get 17" only for auto-crosses when I'm good and ready this summer.

/davis.
    I believe the engine should be already be using Castrol Syntec 5w40.

The chips, I'm planning Upsolute (www.upsolute.com). Check out www.vwvortex.com for local places (get an account and post around). Sometimes there may be a group event for chipping going on and there may be a group discount.

The stock 15" tire is 195/65 r15. If the previous owner put 205/65, he/she put the wrong size on. The gas cap should tell you the tire sizes and pressures.

Right now I'm going throught the same situation: 15's for snow tires, but which one 16's or 17's for summer. I'm also concerned about potholes as well.

Noises -- don't know. I got a dash rattle in mine.

I would definitely look into suspension changes. I'm going most likely neuspeed. I'm starting with a front strut tower brace, then anti-roll bars, then finally (a few years later, springs & struts/shocks). I first want to reduce the roll in the car.
  • chem123chem123 Member Posts: 272
    I think you will find this out eventually, but do not run 17" wheels in autox for the following reasons:

1) will slow you down (heavier)
    2) more expensive
    3) more expensive tires

Go to a local autox and talk to the owners of cars similar to yours and you will learn a large amount of information. Good luck.
    Would you know if spoon 16" wheels will fit VWs? I like black alloy/steel (perhaps anodized) wheels on hatchbacks. check out this guy's Golf I found from VWVortex.

http://www.vwvortex.com/features/project_cars/golf_18t/part_3.shtml

/davis.

sorry, i meant to type 195/65 wheels, but my mind was set on 16" wheels and up. Thanks for the tip on VW Vortex website. Upsolute is in UK. I'm not sure but what i read in their pages say I would have to bring my car in to have the current data uploaded (flashed) to their machine while the new modified goes in. I will probably keep my engine factory since, currently I feel the power suit my purpose. I'll find out this coming weeks commuting back and forth to work.

/davis.
    With upsolute, there are United States representatives across the country.

Chem123: Yes I already know that. What I would really plan on doing would be to have a dedicated set of 16" tires and rims, wearing BFGoodrich G-Force T/A, exclusively for racing.

17 inchers, I like how they look on the GTI. Again, a dedicated set of summer tires. Finally the OEM 15" wheels for winter mounted on Blizzaks or Artic Alpines.

Though with 17" rims, generally, yes it will increase off-sprung weight, but if you carefully choose (and spend the money for it) a set of lightweight rims but suffer a little on tire weight.

For autocrossing people will recommend to you to inflate the your tires to max pressure, to increase the sidewall stiffness. Smaller sidewalls will naturally have less elongation than a taller sidewall.

I've already been in racing, for me, switching to a diesel is a new experience...heck I've seen people race with a 84 Town Car.
    I'm very unfamiliar with VW wheels offsets and lug patterns but I'm pretty sure the Spoons would not fit. Check out the SSR Competitions, you might like those. Also, if you find a wheel that you like, just have them powdercoated or paint them yourself with some flat black BBQ grill paint. Makes it tough to tell when they get dirty :)
    5x100 bolt pattern
    I believe a +35mm Offset.

If you have the OE 15" alloy wheels, it is printed on the wheel itself.
    then the Spoons would definitely NOT fit (different 5 lug pattern and way off the Golf offset)
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I have a 2002 GTI 1.8t with about 6k miles on it now. Here is what I've done and plan to do to my car, this is my autoX vehicle
    Engine:
    Neuspeed: (www.neuspeed.com - www.greedspeed.com)
    Downpipe - 7HP gain

Turbo air inlet pipe - increases air into the turbo by 70% - 7HP gain

Turbo XS diverter valve - no increase in HP, sounds cool and nicely made, increased durability.

APR Chip upgrade (www.goapr.com) Upsolute, Neuspeed, Garrett chip upgrades are nice, but the nicest and one of the most expensive is the APR - check out their website. Over 230 HP and 235 pounds of torque all with stock drivability just a lot more :-)

K&N air filter - a Must - these are fantastic, I put them in all my cars. You can get them from APR -

Suspension:
    Neuspeed Racing springs - I live in Florida with glass smooth roads - not recommended up north - I love these springs.

Neuspeed upper strut stess bar.

Near Future:

Exhaust - A must - not sure which one I'll get - doing my research.

Neuspeed 28mm rear sway bar - a must for autoX

Bilstien or Koni shocks -

I want to install a short shifter kit of some sort - doing my research here as well - lots of them on the market - the cheapest is an Audi TT linkage that bolts right up - $30 from the Audi dealer and reduces throw 20%.

There are a variety of parts from the TT that you can use to upgrade your GTI - the TT is based on the Golf platform most everything is the same.
    there was no mention of turbo timers. any concerns? also if i drove the car under normal cruising speeds (city/hwy), should i be waiting a while before shutting the engine?

/davis.
    since it tends to get little traffic.

rickrover
    I heard the TT shift linkage isn't that great of an improvement. That's a personal issue (from www.vwvortex.com).

You can use the TT front rotors, but it totally eliminates the usage of 15" rims. Since it doesn't snow in Florida, it's not a concern.

d7sub
    Turbo timers, in the A4, there was a incompatibility issue with the factory alarm. It could be the same for the A4 platform 1.8T's as well. "Normal" driving, being light on the turbo, you don't really need to let it idle, but it doesn't hurt to idle for a 30 seconds to 1 minute.

In the more "spirited" drives and/or lead foot drivers, best to let it idle for a few minutes.

I typically let my car idle (TDI) for about 30 seconds in a normal drive.

Use your best judgement. Wasting some gas is cheaper than a new turbo.
    any body double throttles when upshifting? i mean when you are in an in-between gear, during that neutral zone, is it suggested to throttle just before releasing it in the new up gear? sorry if i'm not making this clear.

/davis.
    It's just going to kill your synchros.

I think you mean powershifting. But it's going to kill your synchros & your clutch.