Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf vs Honda Civic

Comments

• fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    .....as long as reliability is at least on par with the Japanese models....
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    Agreed.... :shades:
  • airbornegrantyairbornegranty Member Posts: 2
    i dont believe that the Honda is more reliable than the VW. I have the new GTI and a good pal of mine has the TYPE-R. Although the honda is very slightly quicker the golf is much better to drive and i think the quality is second to none though it is a little drab inside.
  • herbie53herbie53 Member Posts: 2
    I'm choosing between the Golf and some other compact car for a 3 year lease. While reliability seems to be a topic of discussion for the VWs, is this something I need to worry about for 45,000 miles? Any reason I should go with the 06 instead of the 05 if I can still find one? Also, what are these velour seats like? I also keep reading that the car is noisy, but I didn't notice on my test drive with the 06... Is the 05 noisy?

I tried the civic and the corolla and the even the camry and the accord. What's up with these lower roof lines and high seats? I'm 6 foot - it seems VW is the only small car manufacturer that recognizes people over 5'7''... The Golf was a perfect fit. I actually felt small in the car! I don't drive a manual, but was willing to go with one when I was considering the Mazda 3 (poor lease options, so I'm still shopping). How is the manual on the Golf?

How many MPGs is everyone getting on their manual or automatic?

Any advice/comments would be welcome!

Herbie53.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I own a Civic and an Accord. I'm actually 6'6'.

I will say that if fuel economy is an issue, the SI only gets around 30 mpg. Not typical Civic mileage.
  • jpmccormacjpmccormac Member Posts: 98
    Which engine does your prospective Golf have? I'm assuming the 2.0 Liter, not the TDI, yes? I have a '96 Golf GL automatic w/ 2.0 liter. I get about 26 MPG/City and 30 MPG/Highway. Not bad for a 10 year old car. I do not drive it hard. Seats are still supportive
    and comfortable and handling is very good.

Be sure to visit the VW area here for more info: http://www.vwvortex.com/
  • istari_kyeistari_kye Member Posts: 1
    I've had my golf mk3 for 2 years now and I swear by it. No matter the distance i've had to drive, for whatever reason, with how much weight im carrying, in all sorts of God-forsaken conditions, it's always always always delivered. If I had to bet on one thing happening tomorrow; either the sunrise or my car starting, I wouldn't bet on the big glowing thing in the sky.
    I've heard civics are reliable and I do not disagree, but the other week I was doing a friend a favor by taking her civic to the car wash and while sitting in the queue, in neutral, the engine cut out!!! :surprise: THATS RIGHT! A honda VTEC engine simply just failed! No lie or exaggeration. There goes their record.
    Please don't get me wrong, I like Hondas and other Japanese cars. When I was buying, it was a coin-flip between a Civic and a Golf. Many advised I go VW and I did. No regrets.
    Some may say Golfs are expensive but you do pay for quality.
    The civic seats feel nice and it is a high rever, but personally I prefer my oomph lower down on the rev scale. The golf has a much higher quality feel to the interior. It was designed by a designer, not the accountant.
    Currently planning on getting a Mk2 big bumper GTi :D
    Proud to say im a VW lover now, may get a civic to see whats it's like, but my heart will from now on belong to the Germans.
    My advice to to anyone who has this hard choice - it doesn't matter. Your getting a reliable car either way. But the Golf will last longer and get you more respect.
    In a VW???? Only from other VW owners. Not much panache in the VW name. For a while there they were thinking of pulling out of the U.S. market. They are pulling the waste of R&D money Phaeton.

Heck, with 2 or three posts in the last few months, doesn't seem like there's much comparing the Civic vs. the Golf. Do they even still sell the Golf? LOL.
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Anytime I take a little break from these boards and then take a look at new contributions, I am taken back by the amount of demagogy and hyperbole. :(

At any rate, VW and Audi are doing quite well these days, even in the US. I would be worried about GM, and Ford must get their act together. I am not worried about the VW group, which includes Audi, Skoda, Seat, Lamborghini, Bentley, and Bugatti --- and thus is highly diversified, and is the biggest car maker in Europe. VW's US sales are up 28% compared to the same month last year, Audi sales are up 20%.

So, if there is no discussion in here for a while - is that because there is no comparison between the Golf and the Civic, or between the Civic and the Golf? ;)

Finally, the new base engine for the Golf is the 2.5 5-cylinder - same as that in the new Jetta. It will be out in the summer. I'll take the 2.0TFSI of the GTI instead (a lot more power with better fuel consumption). 5-door available in about July. It will finally replace my 13+ year old, very reliable, very low-cost Golf that does not have any rust and never leaves me stranded. (In case you ask, why, then? I and my loved ones appreciate the idea of having airbags, although I have already been hit by a Mack truck-equivalent in the back, without consequences...).

That is, unless I go for the A3.

Cheers.
    The entire brand sold less than 17,000 cars. That's like saying "I sold 4 cars this year but 2 last year so my sales are up 100%". Everyone knows the Jetta has been a disappointment. I'm certain VWoA wanted to sell many more than 7k Jettas a month. Hyperbole is calling 16K units a successful month for the "bread and butter" arm of the VW/Audi brand.

Heck, Hummer sales are up 50% but GM is still in trouble.
    Firstly, US sales of VW group cars are doing nicely --- but don't matter much to the company at this point (these sales simply make up too little of world wide sales; sorry, sometimes, the US is not all that important).

Secondly, those ~17,000 cars are per month, not per year.

Thirdly, ~17,000 cars a month add up to ~ 200,000 a year, and at an average sales price of $28,000 (I just made that up) that adds up to about 6 BILLION dollars a year. Not sure who you work for, but that doesn't sound too shabby to me. Even more so, when I think about the fact that currently, the US is a mere afterthought to one of the most successful car companies in the world. ;)
    The "Group" may be doing nicely....But VW ain't in the U.S.
    GM is doing fine in other countries but getting thier butts kicked here.

Read back....I said that 17,000 cars a month is not that successful for the "bread and butter" brand. And 7000 Jettas a month is paltry compared to Jetta sales in the past.

6 billion dollars a year may not sound shabby to you, but for a major conglomerate, that's not all that much money. As far as the U.S. being an afterthought to VW...Well...

http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/en/beijing/cib/2005_09/auto-sales-is-the-honeymoon- -over-for-vw.html

They better start making it a before-thought.

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_canaries_go_first/

And I quote..."Volkswagen: The saddest story."

You can rebut those articles by the automotive press.

I'm done.
    I think we agree on the fact that VW had been in a bit of a slump in the US over the past few years, for a variety of reasons. I guess what we disagree on, is what the future holds. Which brings this discussion to topic, because who would by a Golf over a Civic if the company isn't going to be around in a couple of years, right?

Now, VW has had really long model years, and is saying that is changing. They just started introducing the new Jetta last year, the new Passat Sedan very recently, and the new GTI in January. New Golf likely in June. Now, with this information, lets take another look at the January sales year to year changes: Jetta sedan up 48%, Passat Sedan up 82%, Golf combined up 26% (remember, this is without the new Golf - just new GTI). Looks to me like they are doing something right. Beetle sales are up, too, the New Passat wagon just came in, and over the course of the next months they will introduce the 5-door GTI, the Golf, and the Eos.

So, from my viewpoint, things are definitely looking up for VWoA, and I am not worried a bit that VWoA will fall apart any time, soon. Which brings me to the second "automotive press" (actually Forbes) article, which fails to mention what the actually size of the car companies is (obviously, one of the largest car makers in the world can weather a US storm better than a small company), and is therefore outright silly. How about this piece of uplifting news instead?

And what the tea in China is the relationship of the first article to the health of VWoA? (Would anyone have thought that VW would forever have a virtual monopoly in China?).

I guess, I have a generally positive outlook on life, and I am looking forward to buying a new 5-door Golf (GTI actually, if not an A3) in the summer. No worries here.
    I look at it as the Jetta, while having a 48% jump, is still only selling 7000 units a month. That's more than last year but really not a good number considering it's a new model that's already getting heavy incentives. If VW carries this body style for as long as it usually does, they are in trouble.

1000 Golf sales has to get better. But hatches don't do well in the U.S. So it probably won't make much of a dent.

4000 Passats is better than last year but still far short of what you would expect for a car in the model's segment.

Not to mention the Toureg's decline. Is there a new one coming?

VW better hurry up with those coupes. But coupes don't really wow us American that much either. Especially the way VW prices their stuff.

But time will tell. By the way...Since this is the Civic vs, Golf forum..Let's check this years Civic sales vs. Golf sales....
    http://automobiles.honda.com/info/news/article.asp?ArticleID=2006020150249&Categ- - - ory=currenthonda

Hmmm....I wonder just who IS buying those 17,000 VW's? And I wonder did they cross-shop? I for one did. And I actually love the new Jetta. That is one solid car. Bet rather expensive on the sticker, which is what they wanted when I was looking. The new 5 cylinder kind of drones a bit but the chassis is like a brick. But I , like the Wards article stated, am afraid of VW's reliability record.
  • bigfusbigfus Member Posts: 1
    I just had my '99 Honda CX Civic stolen from in front of my house yesterday in suburban New Jersey. 116K miles, 6.5 years old and I was maintaining it very well! The problem is its popularity. I bought the very base model to squeeze out the value over what I thought was going to be 15 years. Well, the kids are souping up these light bodied hatch backs and I'm assuming the car has either been chopped up for parts or has a new engine in it by now... the point of my post...

I need another reliable car. If Golf's are not popular, but they are reliable, even if they are not comfortable or drive smoothly, then this is the next car for me! I'd appreciate ANY AND ALL input on this. Any advice on fuel efficiency, repair costs, etc. Thanks!
    IMO, you've got things a bit backward. Golfs (and Jettas) are very comfortable and drive quite smoothly and handle nicely. My '96 Golf handles and rides as well today as it did 10 years ago. As for reliability, Golfs are not up there with Hondas, but with regular maintenance, the engines and drive trains will last almost forever. The new MK V platform Golf will be available in the USA this summer - with a bigger engine (2.5L) - which it needs. Fuel efficiency will not match Japanese econo-boxes but the "driving experience" is well worth it, IMO.
    For more on VWs, check out the VW Vortex at:
    http://vwvortex.com/

-----------------------------------------------------
    Re: > I need another reliable car. If Golf's are not popular, but they are reliable, even if they are not comfortable or drive smoothly, then this is the next car for me! I'd appreciate ANY AND ALL input on this. Any advice on fuel efficiency, repair costs, etc. Thanks!<
    Since they changed the rear suspension design. But the old ones had impeccable road manners. The drive was almost enough to convince me that I needed one. Make mine with the VR6 please.
  • bkpsbkps Member Posts: 3
    Honda has always made great engines; since they started with the goal of making the best motorcycles you could get. (yes they started making motorcycles only.) Their cars while light are not that great. They save their great cars for their Acura line.

VW has, also, always made great engines; since the original Bug that routinely runs 500,000+ miles. Their cars while Heavy are great and their &#147;high end&#148; Audi line is simply an Extension of the VW line. Both VW and Audi&#146;s have the same problems with electronic ignition block shorting ($200 aprox. and GM and Chrysler also have this problem.) and on, some models, weak clips holding the windows to their tracks, which has been fixed.

I have a used &#146;95 golf GTI with 230,000 miles that is still going strong. I also have an '04 R32 golf (3.2 liter, all wheel drive, but bad gas mileage) that I regularly use to embarrass the JapTuners around town.

If I was looking for a NEW car I would get a Golf TDI (diesel) 5000 miles between oil changes and 50 MPG (my friend has a new '03 Beatle TDI and gets 49 MPG average highway AND city).

I am actually looking to trade the OLD GTI for an OLD TDI Golf.

Here is an idea.. go to a junk yard and see what wrecked Hondas look like next to wrecked VWs. If I am ever in a bad accident I want to be in the German car.
    Isn't a good gauge of protection. Since most modern cars are built to sacrifice themselves in a crash.

Never heard of Honda fuel injection "shorting out". That's a new one. My new to me 1996 Civic EX sedan just got 37 mpg with mixed use. This is my third 1996 Civic EX and the second one with over 100K. No fuel injection problems just great gas mileage.

Here's an idea. Good cars are usually rewarded with excellent resale throughout their useful lives and exceptional history of reliability. Check any data on 10 year old VW Golfs's vs Honda Civics with equal mileage. See if you would still want to keep one for a long while. Maybe a lease though.

And when you adjust for sales, the number of horror stories told about VW products challenges GM products. And it goes beyond the cars themselves. It extends to dealership and manufacturer customer service also. It's scary.
    I am sure that montalbano is smart enough to look at the passenger compartment not the fenders!

There are to many variables to consider the resale price of cars like these after 10 years and 150,000 miles. Like whos will be stolen, who paid more insurance, price of gas, how fast the body goes out of style, trim, etc. I am not willing to do that much research / work. AutoTrader has an interesting tool:
    link title but still does not take into account everything.

AND what is this about fuel injection?
    In passenger safety. In fact they have built quite e reputation for being safe and efficient. Honda went so far as to build a dedicated crash safety center.

Not much research to do. Probably only a few more clicks than it took to create that last post saying that you weren't willing to do the research. Yet willing to post that you aren't willing to research. Many of those resale variables are taken into account when values are given. that's why they ask what level of cleanliness the car is.

And speaking of variables. I would think the variables involved in assessing the severity of an accident by looking at the wreckage to be much less accurate than simply checking KBB and or Consumer Reports.
    OK gee35coupe if the research is so easy...

Then I anctiously await your detailed economic evaluation and comparison of the VW Golf and Honda Civic and their long term ownership economies.

I expect that you will consider all of the variables that I listed previously and preferably a few more as well.

Also KBB and Consumer Reports do NOT do crash tests.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    But Mr Pischetsrieder said VW, which includes Bentley, had made only a "very slight" profit after steep losses. "We continue to incur significant losses on cars exported from Germany to the United States. To ensure a long-term future for the group, we must act rapidly," he said.

Volkswagen, Europe's largest carmaker, warned yesterday that it could axe up to 20,000 jobs at its core VW brand and close several loss-making German plants in a restructuring designed to restore profits.

Bernd Pischetsrieder, chief executive, told VW's 103,000 German employees that their productivity was low, plants recorded very high losses and some component operations were uneconomical.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Yikes. Maybe the Ford guys can console the VW guys? (Not making light here, I promise). It's a shame that such a huge business is seemingly TOO big for itself.
    So, good news all around. Everyone (not only share holders) should be happy that problems to remain the largest car maker in Europe and to remain competitive are addressed early on, rather than being swept under a GM carpet. ;)
    The problems are being addressed "early on". VW as a brand has been in trouble for more than a few years now. Although not quite as bad or as long as GM though.
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    My wife drives a BMW 5 . I drive an Accura Type S no problems.it's bullet proof except for cheap leather seats. At 30k they replaced back on front drivers side. Also, My Integras did the same thing.
    Now for the crazy part. I want heated seats,regular gas and a nav system.
    I've been reading horror stories on here about VW for 3 years.
    What if, I buy a Golf with all the above as Honda doesn't offer heated seats in their Civic, or a H/B model.
    I would spend the extra bucks for an extended warranty.
    If the Golf (or other VWs, for that matter) really were so bad, the millions of Europeans buying it would all have to be crazy, I guess. Fact is that VWs are not as reliable as, say, most Hondas or Toyotas. By about a factor of 2, currently (but improving with the new generation). So, that means if you have one problem with one of the other cars in a given amount of time, you would have two with a VW (or less, if they are indeed improving). If reliability is your number one priority, that may matter. If you feel life is too short to miss out on a great driving experience, the difference may be irrelevant. VWs also carry a good warranty, and their engines are generally bulletproof and last a long time (oil changes required).

The new Golf will be out in a few months (end of June to end of July for the various models). I know you mentioned regular gas (which the 2.5l engine - same as in the Jetta - will take), but you may also want to consider the new 2.0TFSI engine. It is much more powerful, but uses less gas. In the end, you will likely break even, although it requires premium gas. You can test drive it in the GTI or in the Jetta/GLI.
    Re: "If you feel life is too short to miss out on a great driving experience, the difference may be irrelevant."

I agree with your post (my '96 Golf GL AT is going strong), however, I don't think the 2.0TFSI engine will be available in the USA. I may be wrong. The new 2.5L is a more powerful engine than the current 2.0L but is also less fuel efficient. Always a trade-off somewhere, eh? I just wish we'd get more TDIs in the USA, but that's not VW's fault.
    Just as much of a problem as the reliability of recent models (starting with the 1999 New Beetle from what I've witnessed personally), is the dealership's inability to deal with customers in a proper way. They are an antonym to the "customer is always right" theory. They go out of their way to make you feel like a fool.

A family friend (with the 99 NBeetle Turbo) just spent $2200 on electical problems after 2 months at the dealer repair shop.

It IS a blast to drive, though, more fun than my Honda. But her New Beetle cost $25,000 new, another $3100 since then after p0st-warranty-repairs.

Get the Warranty and a friendship with the people at Hertz rent-a-car. You'll be fine.
  • david62david62 Member Posts: 2
    My 1985 Golf just (finally) bit the dust. Still it had a better ride than my 2001 Civic - and certainly better handling. No question Honda fit and finish is better and no question that on average, the civic will be a cheaper car to maintain. But my 85 Golf served my very well with nothing more than a fuel pump (or two) needed along the way. The Civic engine should last longer but not so sure about the transmission - we'll see.

The only reason why I didn't buy another VW is price - the Golf's around me (PA) have been pretty expensive and I was able to get a really good deal on the Civic. Also, I'm not sure about the quality of VW's Mexico factory. Anything from Germany wouldn't be an issue.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    On number of relability failure complaints. If you have any doubts about VW relability look at the article in the April 2006 Consumer Reports "Reliability: Progress has stalled"

Cheers,

MidCow
    I agree with your post (my '96 Golf GL AT is going strong), however, I don't think the 2.0TFSI engine will be available in the USA

It is currently available in the 3-door US MKV GTI (and in the Jetta, the GLI, Passat, A3, and A4). It will be available in the 5-door GTI starting July. Whether it will ever be in the US Golf likely depends on US sales: in the US, the Jetta is the strong seller; elsewhere, it is the Golf.

I need 5 doors and like this engine - so the choice is easy for me. You can paint the middle of the GTI grill body color, to make it look a bit less aggressive... ;)
    My 1985 Golf just (finally) bit the dust. Still it had a better ride than my 2001 Civic - and certainly better handling. No question Honda fit and finish is better and no question that on average, the civic will be a cheaper car to maintain. But my 85 Golf served my very well with nothing more than a fuel pump (or two) needed along the way. The Civic engine should last longer but not so sure about the transmission - we'll see.

The only reason why I didn't buy another VW is price - the Golf's around me (PA) have been pretty expensive and I was able to get a really good deal on the Civic. Also, I'm not sure about the quality of VW's Mexico factory. Anything from Germany wouldn't be an issue.

Yes, a 2001 Civic would have better fit and finish than a 1985 Golf - but not any recent models compared side-by-side in the same model year. There is no question that inside materials, ergonomics, and outside paint, finish, and general assembly of the Golf is superior. Reliability is another issue, as discussed.

As a side note, the US MkV GTI and Golf are built in Wolfsburg, not that it matters.
  • 90corradog6090corradog60 Member Posts: 1
    Ok so i am a struggling college student..... So i look to buy a reiable fun car after my other was totaled.. I came across a 1994 Acura Integra Gsr. Fast, Sporty, reliable, right? Wrong.
    Within one year this happen
    1. New half shaft $225
    2. New exhuast $250--great deal
    3. New slave cylinder $520
    4. New radiator $320
    5. New Thermostat $120
    6. New rear brakes and 1 new caliper $520

Total form 11/05--2/06 $1955.00
    Guess what? Needs new timing belt ($600+)
    To bad i won't have to put that in beacuse it was stolen 3 weeks ago!

I also thought i was buying this car from a reliable owner

So what did i get?

1990 Volkswagen Corrado G60
    I was told that this is one of the least reliable cars, but i don really care any more. Why?
    1.Better performance
    2.Handles better
    3.More options
    4.Looks 10x better
    5.Unforgettable ride! :P
    before you bought it. I just bought a 1996 Civic with 126K on it. I haven't done anything but put gas in it. Doesn't need a thing. But then again, I did have it inpected before I bought it.

I've bought over 10 used Civics and haven't done any coolant system work on any of them. I have bought a couple halfshafts and timing belts though. Keep us posted on that Corrado after you've owned it for a while. I'm sure you coulda said the same stuff about the Integra right after you bought it.

The Corrado didn't get such a sorry reputation for nothing. They really didn't sell that many of them to get such a bad reputation. Something musta really been wrong wit em. TMV has em around $1000 though. Not a bad buy.
  • differentdifferent Member Posts: 2
    I get a kick out of this forum...which car is better...and I like your response. Very diplomatic and aware that everyone can be right, based on diversity of opinion, etc. I for one agree with your submission as I worked in the former Yugoslavia during the bosnian and kosovo wars. VW is durable, because that is what all the bosniaks and albanians told me and drove - and the roads there were pretty bad. A honda, a toyota, never would last in such conditions of mud and potholes, etc. I saw a few and they looked bad... all the moulded bumpers were flapping in the wind and the door jams would be squeaking away and air would pass through the cracks. VW golf? Well, they go and go, albeit with maintenance... but, if you look at a VW door hinge, for example, you can hang off the door....go ahead, put your whole 200 pounds on the open door and hang.... now do it with your honda or toyota... I bet you won't even try... reliable means never having to hit a pothole...having salt on your roads and ice hanging off your quarter panels. Also, if you put your hand under the rear wheel well of a VW, it has no edge... no accumulation of snow and salt and mud...check your honda or toyota... I agree, they are great cars, don't get me wrong... and VW is a great car as well...however, a TDI is a car that can haul anything, passes gas cars on hills and never lumbers... you can take your foot off the clutch and it drives up hills... gas cars are less economical because you HAVE to push the gas pedal to even move forward on a flat surface. TDI, great in traffic...no more pushing and letting go of the clutch...gas engine feel. Stiff, solid, no rattles, VW... year after year...I have a 2003 and no problems... I like the drive of the VW... and I thought I would never buy one after seeing albanians driving like maniacs in them...5 star rating in crash tests... economy... what is not to like? Take care of it and it will take care of you...durability lasts longer then reliability. Reliable means you can miss service or maybe avoiding responsibility... VWs need love...and love means never having to say for sale...or, saying "I will be right back" to your kids. VW owners, it seems to me, wave like bikers to passing VW owners... and I must say, there are alot of beautiful women driving VWs! WOW! With 4% of the car marker in the US, VW means you are not average...maybe that is why we wave to each other like we found someplace to hang out amidst the masses... and for alot cheaper then the people who truly are. I miss my car.
  • differentdifferent Member Posts: 2
    If you don't want to do anything but put gas in a car and it runs and runs, get a Honda. If you don't want to take care of your kids, put them in summer camp... if you don't want to prepare your own meals go to a restaurant...if you get a VW, you may have to do something, God forbid!
    Has a lot more to do with politics than reliability. And I don't usually hang on my car doors.

I love the drive of the VW too though. I've driven quite s few of them. The new Jetta drives like it was cast from a solid brick. But the new 5 cylinder engine was gutless and sounded labored. I know you have to rev a Honda, but at least the engine loves it.

Not a fan of turbos or diesels. And combining them with the VW reliability history is even more worrisome to me. I'll take a Toyota or Honda hybrid instead if I wanted max gas mileage.

I don't have to profess my personal history with my Hondas to prove anything. VW doesn't have its reputation for nothing. Hyundai and Kia are proving that you can turn your reputation around with hard work and perseverance. Maybe the new Jetta and Golf will turn the reliability coin over for VW. The Toureg hasn't.

But hey...Somebody has to buy them. If you just want a VW, there's nothing wrong with that. All of them couldn't be bad. You just can't use "reliability" as a cornerstone of the debate. Safety, driver's car, and durable maybe, but it just might not start every morning.

"If you don't want to do anything but put gas in a car and it runs and runs, get a Honda."

That's funny. That's like saying it's better to be a diabetic because having a working pancreas is just too easy. Or how about Kidney failure. Dialysis every other day adds to the life experience.
    It sounds like you have reliable (long-lasting car without needing repair or leaving you stranded - in which Honda excels) with durable (high-quality welds, doors that you were speaking of, heavier-duty things).

I think the VW is probably the more durable (I've never swung my bodyweight from a door, or been off-roading in a New Beetle, so I'll take your word.), while the Honda is the more reliable one.
    What good is a car with a perfect interior and exterior that won't run? You can at least drive a rust-bucket.
    True.

Many people forget that not-everyone has their priorities in rush-protection. I live in Birmingham, AL. The only snow I've seen this year was what we'd call a dusting, and it didn't even show up in the grass or roads, just things like our elevated deck. No salt at all this year, or since 1998, for that matter. That was the last time Birmingham, AL saw any measurable snow.

My granddad (Pop, as he's known to me!) drove a 1987 Civic for 260,000 miles, sold it for $1,000 back in 2002, and it was rust free except for one place about a 1/2 inch in diameter, where a rock had hit the hood, peeled the paint, and he had not fixed it.

I don't plan to be driving the same car at 260,000 miles.

Maybe I should though; I have 158,000 on my '96, and it runs great.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    The roads I face in LA can be just as bad as Yugoslavia, and it's a riot watching the "sporty" cars - mostly BMW or Audi - bounce all over the place or end up at the side of the road with bent wheels and blown tires every time it rains.

If you want a track car, BUY a track car. Me, I'd rather have a rock solid well handling box that can eat up anything an urban road can throw at the car. That's a tough challange, and to its credit __some__ of the VW's out there do a pretty good job dealing with it.

It's too bad VW and Audi are so inflexible wrt some options on their cars - they seem to feel AWD must be only on a sports car with rubber band tires and low travel suspension. Sad. :(
  • vwrulezvwrulez Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the forum. This is actually kind of cool, VW vs. Honda. I personally hate Hondas. I must admit they have gotten better over the last couple of years, but I am a Die Hard VW fan. I bought my first car about 3 years ago, 1993 VW Passat VR6. Loved that car. Expensive to repair, but what else can you expect out of a 10 year old car. I must have spent a total of $4000 on repairs, but blamed that mainly on the mechanic shop I used. I bought a 2005 Jetta 1.8T (MK4), what a car. Handles like a charm, BMW like interior and fast. Mind you this Jetta is a baseline...leather nothing, no sunroof and bloody wheel covers, not rims. The only extra feature is 1.8T. This baseline Jetta has way more luxury features than most Hondas. I looked at the extra features Honda has to offer and VW hands down has more standard luxuries than some top of the line Hondas (and dare I say Acura too). I guess that is my perk. I love power and class and VW makes beautiful cars and engines with lowend power (meaning they don't need reving to get power), but the standard features that are all included makes the car unique. Lets not forget that VW thinks about the occupant of their cars...everything is easy to reach, all the features are functional for a driver or passenger, and the standard 6 airbags makes me feel taken care of. I have driven Hondas and sat in Hondas, and I must say the only selling feature Honda will ever have is reliability and V-Tec, other than that you have to pay extra for any more features that tickle your fancy.
    I bought my first car about 3 years ago, 1993 VW Passat VR6. Loved that car. Expensive to repair, but what else can you expect out of a 10 year old car. I must have spent a total of $4000 on repairs.

What else can you expect? My 10 year old Honda has run me $300 with 159,500 miles so far. That was for a cooling fan motor and included labor. Just the diff in VW reliability and Honda reliability. I'm on the same tranny, suspension, rear brakes, all main engine parts minus belts, A/C, etc...

Doesn't drive like a VW, but I get to drive it anytime I want since it's never in the shop. It's a balance i like.
  • jameseyjamesey Member Posts: 1
    im lookin to buy a used car, ive been told that hondas & acuras are reliable, i havent been able to find many in the area for a reasonable price, i have a vw dealer right down the road who loves vw's and can give me a decent price on some w/ just over 100,000 miles that have been checked & should be able to go another 100,000 easy.

should i keep searching for a honda or try for a vw?
    Read the post above yours, as well as the one I replied to. VW reliability is quite poor by today's standards, and while they drive nicely, they don't last long without repairs.
  • luxx80luxx80 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Honda Civic EX, and it's been great. I have almost 178,000 miles on it and it was only in the shop once, late last year. It's been incredibly reliable but I've been looking at the new VW GTI's, for when it's time to get a new car. I've heard such horror stories about VW reliability. Anyone here had a VW that went longer than 7-8 years without trouble? Thank you.
  • rt66explorerrt66explorer Member Posts: 1
    7 or 8 years? On a really nice clear day I can get my cabriolet 7 or 8 MILES without a lot of trouble. I think the insulation on the wiring conducts electricity better than the wire inside. If it sprinkles the power windows quit. If it rains hard, the car will locate the most dangerous intersection around and die in the middle of it, while the heated seats send 12V into your soaking wet rear end. I need a little trailer to pull behind it so I can carry a awning to set up over it in intersections and a generator and hair dryer to dry off all the wiring harnesses. Sorry, it was one of those days out with it again today