Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Inexpensive new hatchback wanted

2»

Comments

• Options
    pat56pat56 Member Posts: 11
    Greets, all...

The MetroGnome here... I've wandered over from the Metro forum, and thought I'd drop a note about the safety of our little friend, the Chevy Metro.

I owned a '99 LSi hatchback. It had just over 2,000 miles on it when a woman pulled out from a blind spot on a median break (cars were blocking her view), DIRECTLY in front of me. I was going about 45 mph when I hit the brakes, and didn't have room to slow very much, at all. I must have been going almost 40 when I struck the land yacht she was driving. She was in something about the size of the SS Bismark, so I torpedoed her. :-)

The "crumple zone" construction worked fantastically. Between that and the airbags, my passenger and I hopped out of the car, uninjured. A few years ago, both of us would have spent time in the hospital for something like that. Even so, the front wheels on the Metro were still aligned and both doors opened perfectly...not even knocked out of alignment. If parts didn't have to come from Japan (Suzuki), I would probably still be driving it. As it was, the insurance company totalled it. The accident knocked one motor mount loose and it would have needed a new nose/bumper/radiator&fan assembly, as well as two fenders and a hood. That's VERY minor damage for the impact we had. It was enough to bend the Bismark's rear axle at a 45 degree angle, as I hit -just- ahead of the axle. (At least I didn't get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for hitting low.) It was funny as hell, watching them pull the Bismark off the road, with the RR wheel wobbling on its sidewall. I'd be willing to bet it cost more to fix the Bismark than it would have to fix my Metro. :-)

Her insurance company paid off and I'm now driving my bright blue 2000 Metro LSi Coupe (hatchback), which I've nicknamed "Peanut",
    'cause it looks like a big blue peanut M&M.
    My salesman had previously sold matching Metros to husband and wife members of the Tampa (Florida) Police Department. They bought them because they said they had seen how they performed in accidents and said they had both seen people walk away from accidents (in Metros) where they should have been killed or seriously injured. That's a heck of a recommendation!

Count me in as one VERY happy and injury-free Metro owner. Some post-accident pics of my '99 are at

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/qorogh

Oh yeah... BTW... I have the larger (4 cyl) engine, and I get 36 mpg in the city, including work traffic every morning and afternoon. The car is AMAZING on the highway (up to 90+ mph, passing tractor-trailers, without so much as a shudder). This little car really rocks. And, it's MINE, do you hear me...MINE...MINE!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

(Sorry... The meds are finally kicking in. I'll be fine.)

Best to all...

The MetroGnome
  • Options
    mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    "MetroGnome" I love it! LOL

I'm so glad you weren't injured. It is amazing how far gains have been made in safety engineering!

carlady/host
  • Options
    johneilertjohneilert Member Posts: 1
    OK, It's not a hatchback. But it is an economical SUV. About the size of a Festiva, it goes and goes. I get 31 mpg and just got back from a 2500 mile trip. I actually slept in it for 4 days. Homeless?
  • Options
    serpentkiserpentki Member Posts: 20
    I am very pleased with my 2001 KIA Spectra GS.

With the 100,000 mile warranty and $11,800 bottom line I recommend test driving one of these if you are in the market for a new hatchback.

This car is a bit larger and heavier than other cars in its class. My gas mileage is a bit better than 30 mpg, about 27 around town.

Don't knock a KIA till you try one. This is a substantial car.
  • Options
    psyclistpsyclist Member Posts: 1
    Keep an eye out for the Focus ZX5 in the fall. It looks lide the ZX3 with 4 doors. 5sp standard pricing not released.
  • Options
    pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    here's an interesting way of getting the best deal: Blast Fax Car Buying, by Philip Reed. Let us know what you think?

Thanks for your comments. ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks Message Board

• Options
    yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    I was in Europe and rented an Opel Vectra diesel in Spain.. Great car. I wish I could buy it here without the diesel. I was comfortable and
    almost handled five suitcases. economy was terrific. I am a regular Toyota person but GM would do well to offer this hatchback instead of the Cavalier junk.
  • Options
    massagemassage Member Posts: 7
    hi all
    which hatch back is the best for the buck? I need to be in the $9000 to 10,500 range. has to have auto transmission + power steering, air would be nice. I expect to put on 600 miles a week. need to be able to fit a massage table in it (thus need for hatch back) thanks for the responses in advance
  • Options
    pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    One good way of getting a good deal on your next vehicle purchase or lease: take advantage of the current incentives and rebates offered by the vehicle manufacturers to increase the sales of slow-selling models or to reduce excess inventories. Read more information here.

Also, has anyone here had a chance to check out Edmunds.coms new Incentives, Rebates, and Leasing information lately? Fyi, in just the last few days, Edmunds.com has installed a completely new system and is now positioned to deliver complete, accurate and timely value-added information in this automotive area!

New features include access to consumer-relevant information by Zip Code, the addition of special lease programs, and more. Btw, the last I checked, there were a number of hatchbacks listed to include: 2001 Acura Integra, 2001 Hyundai Elantra & Accent hatchbacks, 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse, 2001 Susuki Swift, 2001 Toyota Celica and more...

Hope this is helpful. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

• Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Hi Folks- Last night, Edmunds launched a powerful new tool – True Cost to Own (TCO). Here's an article that explains this new feature and how it can help you in making your purchase decision: True Cost to Own (TCO), by Philip Reed. Hope this is helpful. Let us know what you think. Happy motoring!

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards

• Options
    adam40adam40 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Kia rio sedan with 4,500 miles and not one problem I love this car. My brother has a 2000 hyundai accent gs and has 49,000(also not one problem)miles on that car and luvs it. My mother 4 months ago bought a used 99 honda accord and had to have the trans replased 2 months later.

For a hatch back I suggest u get a HYUNDAI ACCENT GS or a KIA RIO CINCO
This discussion has been closed.