Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW New Beetle (Pricing & Information)

mznmzn Member Posts: 727
edited March 2014 in Volkswagen
Well, just when we thought the Love Bug was "only
a movie," VW brought a new smile to the boomer
generation by presenting us with an update. We're
coming up on the end of the first model year and
ready to greet the 1999 models. What's next for
the VW people-magnet?

And did I say "us" in that reference to the
boomers -- a typo I assure you! ;-)

carlady/host

Comments

• slchanslchan Member Posts: 11
    The way I've heard it, when the "old" beetles came out, their shape generated much excitement whenever kids spotted them.

As kids are always looking for something to relieve the boredom of a car ride, someone along the way invented a game called "Slug Bug." The object of this children's game was to be the first one to spot a VW Bug, shout, "Slug Bug!", then "playfully" punch the kid sitting next to you.

"Punch Buggy" is just a natural (to a kid) extension of "Slug Bug."

My eight year old niece thinks that I must see alot of kids punching each other as I drive around. So far, children have appeared to be sweet, smiling angels. Maybe they're just discreet. :O)
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    When I was young (that was just moments ago, mind you!) we played Jigger. That's what you said when you saw a station wagon. If you said it first, you got a point. If you said it and it wasn't a station wagon after all, you lost two points! We weren't allowed to slug each other... :-( I like your version better!

carlady/host
  • bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    Somewhat later in life, we played
    "" P'Diddle "". In this game, the first one to spot a car on the road with one headlight burned out said "P'Diddle" and was then granted the right to kiss the nearest member of the opposite sex.

I'm not going to say what happened when some bright, enterprising guy thought "Hey, what about when one tail light is out"?! [8^O

Bruce.
    -- a certain amount of throat clearing -- that's enough now bnormann, let's return to the New Beetle ;-)

carlady/host
  • pam2pam2 Member Posts: 185
    I still want to know what's going on with the green Beetle. Anyone have any info?
    Well, pam 2, I have just conducted an informal, unscientific survey on color availability by calling the only Volkswagon dealer in Our Nation's Capital. Mino, of Martens VW, gave me the following information on NB colors from his vantage point.

The green and yellow Beetles were released mainly in California and Florida. If you want one now, prepare for a 9 - 12 month waiting list. For gasoline Beetles, black, red, and white are most readily available. Diesel Beetles are most likely to be white, black, or bright blue. The silver Beetle is wait-listed and he has never seen the windsor/navy Beetle at his dealership.

Having said all this, a truckload of green Beetles may show up just as I post this. ;-)

To see the green Beetle, check out the gallery at the Volkswagon web site. Just keep clicking Next until you see the Beetle in green.

carlady/host
    Too bad there's not many green Beetles. Why should California and Florida get them all? I thought that was the best color in the brochure!

:(
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Question for you...

I've noticed that COLOR seems to be very important to you.

For a lot of my woman (and sometimes men) customers, COLOR is EVERYTHING!!! Drives me nuts!! I'll get a phone call on a used car from a woman. First question..." What color is it?"

If I say it's green. They will ask me ten more questions about what shade of green etc.

Now, for me, anyway, having bought a lot of cars in my lifetime, both new and used, color has never been all that important. If a new car is available in, say, six colors, I would probably be content with three out of the six.

I guess we all all different...Just drives me nuts sometimes...Don't mind me...just venting.

Carlady, it's getting boring...Want me to stant some VW stuff? :)
    Isellhondas,

Yeah, I guess color is important to me. Living in Texas, first of all, I'm concerned about having a car that's too dark because of the intensely hot summers here. I frankly just don't like white or black - too common/boring I guess. Bright yellow is completely out of the question! I've always said I wouldn't own a bright red car, either, but my new Hatchback is exactly that! But since I bought it used, I didn't really have much choice.

I can't explain why... I guess maybe because I look at the car every day and want something I consider pleasing to my eye. I'm especially fond of green - it's sort of my "signature color" because I have green eyes (silly, ain't I).

All the colors of green were the color of the 1990's. I predict that shades of purple will the color for the first decade of the 2000's. By the way, what will we call that decade? 80's, 90's, etc. are easy. Will we call it the 2000's then the teens, 20's, etc.?

I've been disappointed in Honda's colors in the past couple of years. It seems like everything is either white, almost-white, black, almost-black, or red. The almost-black colors - purple, green, blue, etc. - are very attractive, but again in Texas it gets awfully hot in a dark car.

Hey, what did you think of the post from neilmcg? I had to laugh!

See ya!

Pam
  • bluebeetlebluebeetle Member Posts: 1
    Well, when I bought my car, which was in March, in Fairfax Virginia. I actually lucked out and bought it right off the lot. Its actually the first one sold on the east coast. I had a choice between a white or a blue one. The dealer said they had to have one model on display. So I chose blue. It was the more interesting of the colors that I had to choose from and thats that.

So what I am trying to say is that, sometimes it all boiles down to what is available. I did see a silver bug that was being pulled off the truck, that looked pretty neat. But again I only could choose the blue one.. :) and I LOVE IT!!!
    When I was considering colors, I thought the green was pretty cool, too, Pam. However, one of the dealers I checked out said VW wasn't producing the green or navy blue bugs until... around now?? Anyway, I'm happy with my black bug. (It doesn't get very hot or cold in San Francisco.)

I have seen one green beetle on the streets. The color is very true to the print media you may have seen, such as the "What color do you dream in?" ads. It looks pretty good, in my opinion.

I haven't seen any navy blue bugs yet. I'm hoping they do as nice a job on that color as Honda does with their navy blue cars. :O)

My least favorite NB color is red. I think it turned out a bit too "orangy". Anyone else?
    Now that I think about it, I haven't seen a white New Beetle either. I wonder how it would look?

I think the red looks OK if you like red, which I don't especially. Except, of course, my red Civic Hatchback! Yes, I know I don't make a lot of sense.

My boyfriend had a discussion last night about bright red cars. He just loves them and thinks it takes bright red to make a car look "good" on the road. I think bright red is just so bright it borders on obnoxious. But my car was what I could afford and I'll probably keep it a couple of years. I doubt I'll buy another red one unless it's a dark maroon color.
  • k273k273 Member Posts: 26
    I've seen a green bug and I admit the color is great. Whereas the other ones look like toy cars (well, maybe except the boring gray), the green bug looks like a fruit on 4 wheels. It makes you want to have a bite. Drooly...
  • ajvdhajvdh Member Posts: 223
    I've seen a white - kind of bland. There's a silver one around here I see once in a while. Now that looks like it was "reversed engineered from UFO's"! I loved it in yellow in photos, but in the flesh I thought it over the top (and owned a tennis ball yellow first generation Civic). I haven't seen any greens. Red and black are OK, but right now blue is my fave, then again that UFO-look silver...
  • laturjlaturj Member Posts: 45
    we have a black one (we didn't choose the color) which i like, we got the windows tinted real dark and i think that helps the looks of it. We live down here in texas and it does get hot but the tint makes a big difference and we also got a custom window shade that helps big time (from aiwana.com) I too think red is too orangy or something, and white is a bit bland. I hope to see more colors that people paint aftermarket.
    In my childhood part of the "slug bug" was you had to say slug bug white; or whatever the color was; in order to get to punch your brother (well actually my brother)
  • wilco1wilco1 Member Posts: 9
    I saw a green beetle here in Memphis the other day. It was ...... okay, I guess. When the turbo becomes available make mine silver!

wilco
    I'm looking forward to seeing a convertible beetle. The "old" convertible beetles still look good. Does anyone know when VW will begin production?
  • bruticusbruticus Member Posts: 229
    I'm glad you got all those Beetles out of my freezer. I was starting to run out of room for ice cream and frozen veggies!

"
    ^
    V
  • ajvdhajvdh Member Posts: 223
    Various rumor mills are saying "not before 2001."
    Bummer. There is at least one aftermarket one running around - it's in some music video.
    Well, I heard they'd be ready in 2000 but it wouldn't surprise me if it was 2001. You know, 2001: a Beetle Odyssey?? ;-)

carlady/host
  • KAURELIOKAURELIO Member Posts: 20
    I recently found a picture of the dark blue beetle at someone's web site, but can't remember where. It was still in its shipping plastic. Does anyone know if the dark blue are at the dealers yet? My wife and I are still interested in the beetle, but we're unsure about the color we want. We keep our cars at least eight years and don't want to grow tired of the color. We may end up with a Honda Accord (a VERY good car), but they don't have the personality.
    I just want to say that I still have mixed emotions about this car. Whenever I see one, I still stare. I saw a bright blue one the other day and followed it home just to keep it in sight - thank goodness it was in my own neighborhood! :) There's something about them that just draws the eye. I can't decide if it's ugly or cute. Or maybe it's so ugly that it's cute.

But is it worth the extra money just to have the looks? I don't know... I wish it were better quality and faster. *sigh*

Maybe some day when I make lots more money and the NB is made a little better... who knows?
    Never thought I would say this...however...

Our store bought a new beetle at the auction last week. It is frumpy looking, but it did make me smile.

Still, it's not my old "real" beetle.

I guess somebody already bought it. Hope it holds up for them.
    Isellhondas,

What is about that goofy little car that makes us smile against our will??
    Maybe it takes us back to a simpler time??
  • FEHarperFEHarper Member Posts: 70
    Pam2,
    Go down and put a deposit on a 1.8T New Beetle. I bet you won't be unhappy. It looks like the 99's will be improved over the 98's. 1500 1.8T's will be built for 99 and I suspect the demand will be high. Then you can re-enter this forum and make positive comments on the NB.
    Has anybody else been seeing a whole lot of OLD Beetles lately? In just the last 3 weeks around here I've seen 3--each looking more-or-less custom restored. One was a red ragtop--quite pretty, in fact.

I guess people are capitalizing on the NB. I wonder if the old ones are as effective in the personality enhancing department? If so, maybe I'll buy one, and revel in the crowds of people (esp attractive women) who just GOTTA see "that cute little car!"
    FEHarper,

What have you heard about the 1999's being better than the 1998's? Any specifics? What's special about the 1.8T's (please pardon my ignorance)?

I won't be putting a deposit down on anything right now since I just bought a car a couple of months ago. But I think I'll still hang around this forum because I DO have an interest in the New Beetle and would like to stay on top of what's going on.
    I've noticed more old Beetles, too. I know they've always been around, but there does seem to be more on the road lately!! Maybe we're just noticing them more because of the new one.

Bruticus, I wouldn't count on an old Beetle drawing women, though! :)
  • stingerstinger Member Posts: 2
    The VW beetle has gone from being one of the most unsafe cars on the road to safest in its class.!!
    Glad to see VW did it right this time. Having owned several old beetles,karman-gias,and buses(the REAL orignal mini-van, not chysler)years ago in college,I do not miss them. At the time they were cheep to buy,and easy to fix (I could have the engine out in 20 minuets,which gives you an idea how often I fixed them. since I was soo good at fixing them I kept getting them)
    However they had terible brakes,poor heat,poor wipers. Boy what you will put up with when your young with little money. I finally gave up on them after two friends were almost killed in an accident,and spent over a year in the hospital.
    Stinger,

Have you bought or plan to buy a New Beetle? If not, what are you driving these days?
  • stingerstinger Member Posts: 2
    PAM2,I just purchased a 98 Toyota Sienna LE several months ago.Owr second car is a 91 Corolla.My wife loves the new beetle,but we are not ready to replace the corolla yet,only at 67,000 miles.Will look at the Beetle in a few years when it's time to replace it. Maybe by then they will have a sports performance package Beetle,because I don't want another s l o w car like the corolla. Personally I like the new Toyota Solara, 2 doors & 200 hp .Trouble is my wife usually gets her way !!
    By the way ,we have 2 kids (ages 5 & 9 ),so we will need a back seat (thats why we got the Sienna,and boy does it cut down on the fights for teritory in the back seat).
    for what you get the NB is not extra money, you get more stuff for more money, that is if you are paying list. So it is more car for more money than other cars for less money.
    Pam2,
    The 1.8T New Beetle will have 150hp turbocharged engine, leather upholstery, a speed sensitive spoiler (that activates at 40mph) much like the spoiler on the new Porsche's (when the car is parked the spoiler is invisible). Also, refinements are being made to the handling for the bigger engine. This will be the poor man's enthusiast's car of the decade - a mini Porsche is you will. According to recent posts, only 1500 will ge made for 99.
    The price will be est. 19,500.
  • mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    Having had my Bright Blue TDI NB since May with virtually no problems I can say only 1 thing; What a Great car!!! Plain and simple.
    I've notice more OBs (old Beetles!) on the roads as well and I've wondered whether there really are more of them or if the whole NB phenomenom makes us notice more of them.

And yes, I'm still smiling and waving when I see a NB. I think one of the most interesting things about it is that the driver really seems to be sitting in the middle of the car, vice the first 1/3 of the car in other models. I don't know if this observation makes any sense... Anyway, it looks like folks are driving around in bubbles or Easter eggs - sounds funny and it makes us laugh!

carlady/host
    I heard that there is a company in California that is converting the regular NB's into convertibles by cutting off the roof and installing a convertible top. Apparently they charge $10,000 to do this and are doing 200 a month.

Anyone else hear about this? Any comments?
    pam,

I haven't seen any convertible NB's yet out here. I'll definitely let you know when I do!

Re: sitting in the middle,

My guess is the VW engineers had that distinctive arc shape as the focus of their NB blueprints. To get maximum arc, they moved the windshield forward and the rear window back. This leaves the driver's seat centered front to back. Also, notice that the NB is much taller than other hatchbacks. This keeps the arc in a fairly true half-circle.

So, driving around, I guess I *do* look somewhat like the yolk of the eggmobile. :O)
    Pam2: The company is most probably Straman. This guy has spent like the last 10-20(?) years reworking vehicles into droptop form-he is often the resource companies like Ferrari use when they want to develop convertible forms of cars. Really rich people with expensive coupes send the car and ~$15k to Richard Straman, and about a month later a truck delivers a convertible right to the owner's door. Straman does everything inhouse--CAD-work on the droptop design, torsion testing, chassis reinforcement etc etc. There is one job in particular that he did a few years back that got him into the pages of (I think) Road/Track--he converted some sort of Ferrari--apparently the owner wanted the car in droptop, but Ferrari didn't make it that way, so this guy gave the car to Straman, and a little later Ferrari began producing their own convertible that wasn't too far off from Straman's.

Check the Web-I'm certain he is out there somewhere. Just use a decent search engine and send it after "Straman convertibles."

Hope it helps.

Later all

DjB
    After reading Carlady's post, I saw a white New Beetle this morning (my first white spotting) and noticed for the first time that the driver DOES look like he's sitting in the middle. But maybe part of this is illusion due to the shape of the car. When I looked at other cars closely, the driver looks to be pretty much in the middle, too, but it's not as obvious because of the shape of the car. Except for big SUV's and pickups, of course. Very interesting...
  • KawiKawi Member Posts: 14
    CNN did a story on that the other day.
    It's on their website:
    Beetle convertible
    cool story! they look great!
    thanks, Kawi!!
  • bernyaubernyau Member Posts: 3
    I have a question for anyone willing to help me out. I won a 1998 VW Beetle. I love the cars but the taxes are going to kill me and so I really can't keep it. I'm supposed to go the dealer next week to pick it up and at that point tell him whether I'm taking it home or getting the cash value. Here is the problem. I need to know if there is a place I can get a fair estimate on the value of the car before I go in to the dealer because I'm afraid they may not give me a "fair" cash value. Any suggestions. I'm not sure whether I might be better off taking it home and trying to sell it myself.
    How did you win a New Beetle? How much are the taxes? Are they really that expensive that you couldn't handle them?

Even though I'm not a huge fan of the NB, I think I'd keep it if I won one!! At least for awhile...
    Well unfortunately it's not the sales taxes that are the problem but I have to pay income taxes on it since I won it. SO you figure I'll be dishing out about 6000 bucks to uncle Sam in February which I don't have readily available. TO be honest with you I've been in the process of buying a weekend car (that means CHEAP) and am not really willing to dish out the $$ for the insurance and parking lot. (Alas, I live in NY city)
    To answer your first question, I'm looking at buying a little car for weekend use (I'm actually looking at a Honda Civic Si Hatchback '90 possibly) and as a joke I saw a sweepstakes in the paper and told my husband I was going to enter and win. Well it happened. I got the call yesterday. Weird huh?
  • wpeng1wpeng1 Member Posts: 12
    i doubt if VW will price the 1.8t NB with only $19.5k, since the GLS has been up to 17K. With leather, sunroof,biger tires and spoiler, it's already 19k. They won't charge anything for the new engine? i guess probably around 21k. although i have seen 19.5k from several of resources. any comment on this?
    bernyau, you can certainly use the new pricing data here at Edmunds to come up with a fair market value on the NB you won. Be sure you know what model, any special additions, etc.

I would think that the "fair market value" they report to the IRS if you take the car whould be exactly the same amount of money they would give if you decline the car. So the taxes you would owe on this "gift" would be the same. But then, I'm not a CPA -- it might be worth it to consult one.

carlady/host
    I quoted the price of the 1.8T Beetle from the "Scott VW" web site. They seem to know more than most but again it's only an estimate, as the car is not in production and won't be until January 99. If the demand is high, I suspect dealers will want more. For an even handed report on the New Beetle, read the latest "Consumer Reports" issue. Very impressive performance - trounced the competition.
    what are beetles selling for in the newspaper in New York

at times the market has been much higher than dealer price, so you might make a few bucks selling it yourself.
    and you could drive it for a while, it's fun.
    if the color is rare, you could also get more $$ for it. (what is the color)
This discussion has been closed.