Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet/Geo Metro

Comments

• emckelvyemckelvy Member Posts: 5
    My previous Metro ('91 3-cyl cpe) had a tranny that worked like a hot knife thru butter. With 143K on the clock it shifted way better than my '95, which 'only' had 108K on it when I bought it last year. The 2nd gear synchros on the '95 are going; it doesn't like to downshift and if I hesitate upshifting it wants to act up. I usually just double-clutch when downshifting and it goes in OK. I have read in other Metro/Swift forums that the tranny synchros can be weak. However, first gear on both the old and new Metro's slipped in without problems. But remember that even with the clutch in, if you downshift to first at high speeds you're putting an awful strain on the synchros. But going into first as you are slowing to a stop shouldn't be a big deal. I have done this on every manual trans vehicle I have ever owned, foreign or domestic, and never had trouble. Am going to try the synthetic motor oil trick to see if my '95 likes it.

Regarding wheels, '95's and up all have 13" wheels, and didn't the convertibles come with them also? All Metro's and Swifts have the 4-1/2" bolt circle. Any other FWD offset wheel, 5" to 6" width with the 4-1/2" bolt circle will probably fit.

I bought some 13" mags off ebay and put Sears Michelin 165-70/13 tires on. They are of a 5-1/2" width and that in addition to the wider, lower profile tires improves the handling, gives it a bit of a gearing edge with the smaller tire, and wet grip is phenominal. It goes around corners at 50 MPH that would have had the '91 heeling over like a sailboat at 40.

This makes (2) different vehicles I have owned with Michelins with good results. And the wider tires and wheels make it look less like a Rollerskate and more like a 'real' car!

Anyway, nice to see some activity at this site; it was a little dead for a while. There are some other Metro sites at the Yahoo! clubs/groups area, you might want to do a search and check them out. A few are quite active with a lot of good technical advice.
  • jubileerunjubileerun Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know if the G10-Late version of the 3 cylinder engine is compatible with the post 1995 Metro? I can get a used japanese G10-L along with the same vintage 5spd tranny from several suppliers in Los Angeles. The cost is roughly $250 for the long block and $200 for the tranny.

I'm just not sure that the cosmetic design changes in the post-1995-Metro also included power train changes as well. The engine suppliers claim that they are compatible.
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    How long did everyone's clutches last? I've only got 90000km on mine but it is starting to grab kind of low -- I don't know how much time I've got left. I love to downshift so it is probably my fault but I'm wondering how long others' have lasted.
  • benebbeneb Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1993 Geo-metro Convertible with a 127000 miles on it for my daughter....it's very clean. the only problem seems to be at low end....when I start off it coughs and seems powerless...but at higher rpm it's fine...anyone got any ideas...thanks..
    beneb
  • koh1koh1 Member Posts: 2
    Check the EGR valve for operation. I bet it is stuck open and you are recirculating too much exhaust during idle.
  • wgrwgr Member Posts: 127
    I own a Geo Metro Lsi. Does anyone know what it should cost to install a new automatic transmission ? I have been told it is very expensive - like over $3,500. Is this possible ?
    My Metro won't start! I can push it down the road and pop the clutch, but the starter motor is on strike! It's not the starter, nor does it seem to be the switch under the clutch pedal. Any ideas Metro fans?? I measured the voltage going to the positive terminal of the starter, it seems to track with the battery voltage whether the key was turned or not.
  • duffymoonduffymoon Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to this board, and was hoping to wax nostalgic about my (many) Sprint/Metro vehicles. My first was a 1988 Turbo Sprint which I absolutely loved. 5-speed, two-door, red. Had that cool "Intercooler" intake port on the little hood. Nice looking interior. Anyone out there own one of these? My current vehicle is a 1994 4-door (not my choice) 5-speed with 120k on the odometer. Now that I'm about to trade it in on a mini-van (believe it or not...i'm a family guy now), I'm starting to miss the sucker already.
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    I traded it in for a MINI Cooper! I just love small cars with good handling and good gas mileage. One friend remarked that I traded in my old car for an even smaller one! In fact, the Cooper is 4" wider than the Metro, but it is 6-7" shorter (4" longer wheelbase on the Cooper though).

Anyone need an official '95 Metro service manual? Anyone need grape touch-up paint? If so, let me know at hpulley4@yahoo.com.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and thanks for sharing your Sprint/Metro experience with us. Good luck with your next purchase. See you around Town Hall. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • duffymoonduffymoon Member Posts: 2
    I've got the same "check engine" light problem. I too had the MAT sensor replaced and within a week that darn light was back on. It goes on for a few hundered miles, then off for a few hundred. It used to concern me, but now, after almost two years of this, I just don't worry about it. Drive hasn't been affected. The down side to owning a metro in my opinion is that all kinds of goofy stuff goes wrong with them but the drivetrain is apparently invincible. So, even though the black rubber stripping came out of my driver's side door, wrapping around the window and causing the crank to strip completely, and so now I have to roll up and down the window using vise-grips; even though the air/heat blower has always only worked on low, and even then only sometimes; even though the catalytic converter and/or heat shield is rattling like a demon; I just can't justify a different vehicle (i'm fluctuating on trading it in) when this thing is so darn EASY to own and operate.
  • stunessstuness Member Posts: 3
    My 2000 Metro is getting ready to go over 100K, and I've had no problems so far. I had been getting a little grinding while downshifting into third, but I replaced the Manual Transmission fluid and tightened up the clutch to the loose end of the specs and it seems to do fine now. I just travelled 521 miles on my last tank of gas (I was babying it to see how far I could get).

With a car payment less than half of my friend's payment, and fuel economy double theirs, I love my little Metro.
  • kmo2kmo2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone! I just wanted to say that I recently purchased a 1991 Geo Metro Lsi, 2-door, automatic in April 2002 and so far I really like this peppy little car. It gets me from point A to B in no time flat and the gas mileage is incredible! I can fill up with only $10 and it lasts for two weeks! The car had 98k miles on it when I purchased it and everything works except the A/C. I hope to have it for a long time. Its the perfect car for my 6-year-old daughter and I to get around in. At first, I really didn't want a Metro because I heard some negative things about Metros but I am glad that I purchased it. So far the only things that I've had to replace are the tires (which are hard to find). I think that my next car will be a Metro also. Too bad GM doesn't make them anymore. The only thing that I don't like is that on windy days here in Michigan it seems as though my car will fly away!
  • hbranchhbranch Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I recently purchased a 98 4 cyl automatic Firefly from an elderly lady. It had 10000 km when I purchased it two months ago and it now has 12000 km I really like it - it has lots of pep, very easy on gas, and great for parking in the city. My only problem is that it often stalls when stopped at a light or when switching from park to reverse or drive. I ready in the Lemon Aid guide that these cars are known for chronic stalling.

Has anyone had/have a similar problem? Were you able to repair it? Your comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    and sorry to hear about your vehicle stalling problem. In addition to the feedback here, you may also want to try asking (copy/paste) your question on our Maintenance & Repair message board.

Btw, some people here may not be aware that the Pontiac Firefly is the Canadian version of the Chevy/Geo Metro, so I've gone ahead and added that name to the title here. Hope this is helpful.

Good luck, and please return here to keep us posted on your situation.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • saturnfreak01saturnfreak01 Member Posts: 134
    Hello all, I currently drive a 2001 Saturn SL1 sedan which I lease... my lease does not expire anytime soon but I am looking for a "more affordable" car. Preferablly a used metro.

I was searching autotrader.com and found a 1997 Geo Metro with 45,000 orig miles, air/ pwr steering/ for $ 2995.00 at a name brand dealer. Is this a good price? It seemed great to me...

I know they have a lack of power, but are they really reliable? I am looking to save money towards a house/ hence the Metro route over buying my lease (which would cost me $7500.00. How do they compare to the Lano's, Accent? Are those bad cars in terms of relibility? Also, in terms of crash protection, is there any with the metro? Any info is appreciated...
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    Having owned 3 Metro's I would never own one with a automatic. The automatic is only a 3 speed with no overdrive and performance and mileage really suffer. If the car is a manual tranmission then I think your target price is more in the $2000-$2300 range. Just my 2 cents.
  • saturnfreak01saturnfreak01 Member Posts: 134
    It was a manual, thankx for the info
  • gracieb712gracieb712 Member Posts: 3
    I have a friend who is looking at 2 cars....a 1991 Geo Metro, 42K mis, one owner and all service records available...and a 1992 VW Jetta, 103K mis, current owner has only had it 2 months, no service history. Personally, I think it is a no-brainer in favor of the Metro...but she is not so sure. Any opinions?
    I would take the Metro any day over the Jetta with that many miles. Just make sure it is only 42K and not 142K. The Metro's did not have 6 digit odometers that year and it could be on it's second time around.
  • kmo2kmo2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a small problem. First of all, I own a 1991 Geo Metro LSi with about 100,150 miles on it and when I accelerate, I get a knocking vibration in the gas pedal. Sometimes it stops and sometimes it starts right up when I accelerate. Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem may be?
  • kimbo535kimbo535 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! You people seem knowledgable about his little car so...I am thinking about buying a used 1992 geo metro. It has 49K and the driver said he has had the oil changed every 3,000 miles. I've read a few postings that say NOT to get an automatic, but this one is and I hate stick shift. The car is selling for $1350. I just need it to get around LA, but I will also be taking trips up to Santa Barbara a couple times a month (about 100 miles). So, what do you think?
    Kimbo,

First of all I would make sure it was 49K and not 149K. 1992's only had 5 digit odometers so I would have him show me all of the service records.

If you are just going to stay within LA and drive in a lot of heavy traffic and never wander too far on the open highway then I guess you could get by with a automatic but you will suffer with substantially lower fuel mileage (low-mid 30's) and a drastic reduction in acceleration (not that there was all that much to begin with!).

Before you consider buying this car make sure you run it long enough so that it gets warm and then check the automatic transmission fluid. The fluid should be pink and should not be dark red or smell burnt. If it smells burnt or the fluid is a very dark color then do not even consider buying the car, the tranny is on it's last legs.

And finally if after all of this you still think you want to buy the car, the price is too high. Offer them $750.00 and see what happens. Explain it's a orphaned model (no longer manufactured) and it's 10 years old and the car doesn't have air conditioning in a city where the average summer temperature is about 20 degrees lower than the surface of the sun. Don't pay more than $1000.00.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    I second inuvik's suggestion on checking the service records. 49k is very few miles for a 10 year old vehicle.

Have you tried plugging this vehicle into Edmunds' Used Vehicle Appraiser? This will give you the average price others are paying in your region. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your decision. ;-)

Revka

Host

• powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    It has 52K miles on it, but looks to be in excellent shape (like new), has brand-new tires and runs great.. Is there anything I should look for in terms of potential problems.
    Any services I should do to it? If so, please let me know.
    -Tim
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    If powerisfun....your buying the wrong car ;-))))

Actually look for defective, rad,front brake and exaust system .I have a 97 3 cyl with 75000 miles, and the car is still running like a sewing machine , no major problem to report.
    "Is there anything I should look for in terms of potential problems. Any services I should do to it? If so, please let me know."

In addition to the feedback here, you can check in Edmunds' Maintenance Guide for recalls, TSBs (technical service bulletins), and manufacturer recommended service schedules. We look forward to hearing more about your Chevy Metro experience. Happy motoring!

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at those things.

I guess I should also be more specific and say that the one I got is the standard 3-cyl hatchback with manual transmission which is what
    I wanted.

My name has to do with the
    fact that I also have a '96 Impala SS which is pretty much the Metro's diametric opposite (among cars anyway, if you include SUV's the Excursion would make an even nicer contrast :) ). There's just something about the Metro that always intrigued me and I finally got one.

I've heard from several different sources (i.e. previous or current owners) that their Metros just
    refuse(d) to die. That made me feel good.
    Wow, no new Metro forum posts in almost a month.

Just filled up my first gas tank and I got 41.4 mpg with a heck-of-a-lot of stop-n-go driving. That's with the 2-door hatch-back with 1.0L 3-cyl and 5-spd.

Did GM (or Suzuki) offer the 2-door hatch-back with 1.3L AND 5-spd. That's would have been the one I really wanted, but every time I found one with the 1.3L it had the auto tranny.
    -Tim

Both the Metro and Swift 2-door coupes were available with 4-cyl 5-speed. Swifts only came with the 4-cyl's. The 4-cyl 5-speed Metro's are harder to find but are out there. Seems like most of the 4-cyl LSI's are automatics, though.

I would like to find a 4-cyl, LSI, 5-speed Metro, with the tach; 70 HP would be sweet, and probably could increase HP with a header and low restriction exhaust system such that the MPG in town would be about the same as a 3-cyl. The extra torque and smoothness would be nice.

I think the 3-cyl will typically have the MPG edge though on long hiway trips; once you get them rolling along they go pretty well. Stop-and-go with the little motor is a killer and takes quite a toll on MPG.

I can tell a diff on mixed driving between going one way with lots of lites/stops, and going another way with less traffic and lites. About 2-3 MPG more on the lesser-traveled road.

My old '91 3-cyl got better MPG than the '95 3-banger but the newer one handles better, rides better, is quieter, and more solid feeling. Guess it's worth a few MPG for those qualities.

But I've been thinking about a 4-cyl and if the right one comes along will probably snatch it up! Check out the Auto Trader online, www.autotrader.com as you'll probably find many to choose from.

Anybody out there with 4-cyl 5-speed Swifts/Metro 2-doors care to post their city and hiway MPG???

Keep On (Roller)Skatin'...........ed
    It's funny that you don't see more 4-cyl, 5-spds.
    I would have thought that would have been the MOST popular combination.

I used autotrader.com to find my current Metro and maybe it's just the area I'm in, but all the 4-cyl's were auto. Oh well, the 3-cyl's gas mileage is hard to beat...but it could sure use that extra cylinder when it comes time to climb a hill. :)
    -Tim
  • miatametromiatametro Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 metro with 5 speed and 4 cyl....it was difficult to find, but i managed to buy it brand new out the door for $9855.43 @ a Chevy dealership in Austin Texas!!! [This dealer tried and tried to sell me a Cavalier, but i did not want one] It has been a good car, and averages about 39-41 mpg mixed. Currently it has 55,000 miles and is still going strong. I don't know if it has a timing belt or chain, but if it has a belt I will need to change it in the near future. I have put new tires (Goodyear Alegera) on it and they seem to ride better than the old ones. The only thing that has gone wrong with it is the Air-conditioning switch, which I was able to repair. Though it is interesting that at the local junk-yard, all of the A/C switches were gone from all metros. If anyone knows if my car has a belt or a chain i would be greatful for your information.

Mike
  • millspdmillspd Member Posts: 104
    My wife and I had a brand new 1993 red 4 door Geo Metro. One of the most reliable cars we ever owned, and those four door models had a ton of head room (I'm over 6 feet and was very comfortable sitting in the four door. The two door was much harder on me, though).

Auto tranny, so no pickup but my wife did average around 37 mpg or so in it, and that was sure nice.
    All Metro's have timing belts, which require periodic inspections and changeout.

My '95 factory manual says inspect the belt at 60,000 mile intervals and change at 100,000 miles intervals. I guess I'm a bit overdue on my '95, it has 118K on it and I expect that's on the original belt. :(

Had similar problem as your A/C controls except with the fan speed switch, lost the first speed setting and from what I read at other Metro forums, these switches are weak. No wonder there's none left at the junkyards!

My '95 is riding on Sears Michelin tires, they are pretty quiet, have excellent wet traction and handle great. Definitely a plus here in the Pacific NW!!
  • stunessstuness Member Posts: 3
    My 2000 1.0L, 3cyl metro has about 115,000 miles on it, and it has developed a problem. It won't stay in 5th gear unless I constantly hold the shifter in position. I'm hoping it won't need a complete overhaul/replacement, but I fear the worst. Does anyone here have any experience with this? Thank you for any response.
    Has anyone ever tried to transplant a 1.3L into a 1.0L/5spd post-1995 Metro?

I'm coming upon new_engine_time for my 1997 Metro, thought it might be worth the effort to upgrade the motor if the pain was not too bad.

The assumption is that I have found a 1.3L motor with computer, wire harness, and California smog.
    How much mileage on it ? Just curious what broke ?
  • dickchapplesrdickchapplesr Member Posts: 1
    Hi, just arrived at this site and decided to join to post a note here.
    I just bought this car with 123,000 miles on it and it is in perfect condition. Other than the mileage it looks as though it was never used. Never been wrecked. It is the best little car I have ever owned so far. Mileage(I commute 110 miles per day) is 36MPG at 75 MPH. doesn't seem to improve at 55 or 65MPH. I think it is comfortable quiet and handles very well. The sound system(stock GEO)CD player,etc is excellent. For $2K I think it is a great deal.
    Now I want to get a Geo convertible for an in town toy. I have 3 thousand miles on the car, use 5-30 Castrol oil and the oil is still clean and hasn't used a drop of oil.
    Terrific.
    Just measured my mileage again for my '98 1.0L 2-dr HB with 5-spd manual. This time it was more highway driving (~90% highway) and I got 47.6 mpg.
    Not bad at all. I'll be in the summer I'll top 50..
    I happened to purchase a 1997 Geo Metro 1.0L/5spd that had been abused, probably by the former owner's teenager. The engine sports low (120psi)compression across all three cylinders, and the synchro gears are ground up, making it hard to downshift to second or first when rolling to a stop with the clutch all the way in. I have an engine and tranny sitting on standby. If anything breaks, so much as a burnt clutch, the whole power train is coming out. But I have been running Prolong in both the engine and transaxle, and the little car keeps taking me to work.

I was just musing in the last email about upgrading the motor, since I have stumbled upon rave reviews of the 1.3L/5spd combination in user group discussions lately.
    Too bad he abuse the little bugger. Mine also is a 1997 1.0 5 speed. I have now 82500 miles (133000 km in Canada)and cylinder #1 = 175 #2 - 165, #3 170 psi. Great little car, I use it to go to work too, 90 miles a day, the only thing I missed are the AC, CD, and cruise control !!!

Great gas mileage, so far since 5 years I've done a brake job at the front, change the exaust system, and the rad. The later disapointed me a little, the rad was only 3 years old and was falling apart,oh well...

Remember? 20 years ago we were happy to make 100000 miles with a big Chevy or a Plymouth...the cars are so much better today and so reliable, I plan to keep my little sewing machine for another 5 years !
    Good luck with yours !
  • geojunkie2geojunkie2 Member Posts: 2
    Just thought I would put in my 2cents. I have a 1989 Geo Metro hatchback 2 dr. 5 sp. I bought it in 1993 with 100,000 miles on it. All service records also. IT now has 255,000 miles.Its had 5 mufflers, 1 alternator,2 timing belts,1 water pump.It has the original struts and clutch. I have changed the oil every 3000 mi.It doesn't burn any between changes. It still runs and looks as good as the day I bought it. I like them so well, I had to get me a 1993 geo convertable.Then my wife had to get a 1991 convertable. A couple of weeks ago I found a deal I couldn't refuse, a 1991 2dr. HB 5 sp. 58,000 mi. $299.00 . The ford dlr. wanted $1,100.00 for it .IT pays to haggle. I do all my own work on these cars.Its easy and parts are inexpensive.Get a FSM and your good to go.
    and thanks for your notes. Glad to hear your Geo Metros have been serving you well.

That's great that you've been able to do all your own work. We appreciate having someone with your kind of knowledge around here...., and look forward to your future posts. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I have an ~80 mile commute (soon to be about 112 with a PT job I am getting), and was thinking about an economy car. I found a 1992 base Metro 3-door 5-speed. I don't know the mileage on it, but I know the car's been sitting on a lawn for sale for about 3 months now. The price on the window sticker is $1250, so maybe that's why. I did KBB and NADA values, and they both say around $500 for the car. I was going to call the owner and try to dicker, but don't know.

How are these cars for highway commuting? I know it won't win any speed races, but as long as it sips fuel and runs for a year or so (plus lets me learn how to drive stick shift), I will be happy.

Thanks!
  • geojunkie2geojunkie2 Member Posts: 2
    DID YOU PICK UP THAT 92 GEO YOU WERE LOOKING AT? IF SO, WHAT DID YOU END UP GETTING IT FOR? FOR WHAT THEY ARE I THINK THEY ARE GREAT ON THE HIGHWAY.I AM 6' 2" AND HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM. MORE IN MY 89 AS THE SEAT BELTS ARE ON THE "B" PILLAR INSTEAD OF THE DOOR OF 91-92-93-94. WHAT IS THE MILES ON THE 92? CONDITION? IMPORTANT WHEN PRICE DICKERING.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    even 1995-1996 models are getting under $1000 these days...I wouldn't pay $1250 for a 1992 model unless it had low mileage, was very clean, and needed no work at all (i.e. no smoke, cold AC, smooth runner and driver, good tires, brakes, and shocks)...

several 1995-1997 Metros have sold recently on eBay for well under $1000...
    I found out the hard way in my 1997 Geo Metro that a radio circuit card meltdown can take out the ignition coil fuse. I'll spare you the details, but the bottom line is, if you suddenly lose all spark, first check under the dash to see if the ignition coil fuse is blown. If so, pull the "dome" circuit fuse and plug it into the ignition coil slot. If the car sparks back to life, you have a bad bad radio. In fact, I find it hard to believe that the stock radio doesn't have any inline fuses. When I put the next one in, I will add some inline fuses on the ignition wire and on the battery wire.
    Today my 1997 Geo Metro 1.0L was back on the road after a complete engine+5spd R&R. I was able to replace my 1997 motor with a G-10L from Japan. The only differences between the two engines, besides the obvious smog stuff, are the following; crank angle sensor & crankshaft timing gear, oil pump and oil pan, camshaft timing gear, timing belt tensioner pulley, and front engine mount.
    I was able to move all of the listed parts from my blown 1997 motor to a used Japanese G-10L long block, and it worked! So if you need to overhaul a 1995 to 2001 Metro or Swift 1.0L, it can be done with a G-10L. For some reason 1.0L motors with the crank angle sensor are not available from the used Japanese engine suppliers.

Cheers!
  • greenbug1greenbug1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 Geo Metro. The hood release cable snapped and I can't open the hood. Does anyone have a solution to share?
  • ro22tolro22tol Member Posts: 24
    This past weekend I purchased a 1991 geo metro for my son who is 15. It will be his first car.

It is a 1.0 with auto and working air. 134,000 mile. I paid $500 for it. It is well maintained and needed nothing other than some fluid changes.

Question. Are there any geo metro forums out there beside edmunds?

Any input on where to get parts and what to look out for would be helpfull.

Thanks!!