Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet/Geo Metro

Comments

• muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    I'm a big metro fan, but info on the Metro here is basically zero. I think they will delete the name of the "metro" forum if I post it, but who knows, maybe they'll let it go?

just eliminate all the spaces...

team swift . net
  • ro22tolro22tol Member Posts: 24
    I found the site. Thanks!!!
  • droidbot7000droidbot7000 Member Posts: 2
    OK- It will turn the engine and idiot lights off but won't rotate

to Lock Position where you can take out the key, and the battery

keeps draining overnight.

Can any one suggest a manual with clear pictures/instructions or,

better yet, personal experience with a solution?

Thanks in advance...
  • 188k+188k+ Member Posts: 1
    i currently own a 96 metro lsi hachback, it is the 4cyl (1.3L) automatic with 188k on it and recently it has started getting some very poor mileage, im talking 25mpg and worse i got 200 mi to my last tank. it popped up the check eng light and my mechanic scanned it and it was showing high voltage numbers on the o2 sensors well we reset the computer and nothing has popped up since (no lights) but im down to 1/8 tank and ive only got 173 miles on it so im not ewven sure if its going to make 200mi this time, im getting ready to change the plugs in a desperate attempt to help my mileage, sensors and converters are high $$ for this car so i really cant afford to play guess the sensor @ 90-300.00 a pop anybody here had any similar problems ??? i need a solution asap !! or else theres gong to be fire-engine red metro just plain ON FIRE!! cuz its pissing me off, what i cant get is that it runs excellent, still has good power and doesnt smoke or use oil, the only thin thats broken on it is the rear defroster which works when it wants to. PLEASE RE: contact me here or gmcman28@gmail.com
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    You need an EGR valve, O2 sensor, and catalytic converter, as well as the tune up.

The cat is partially plugged, the O2 sensor is the primary cause of that, and the EGR valve and chambers not working is why the O2 sensor is fouled.
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    Forgot to mention that the above is assuming the car has good compression on all four cylinders.
  • tleahytleahy Member Posts: 1
    i have a geo 4cyl with lifter noise..how serious is it and how cheap can i fix it....i just want directions on how to fix just what i havto and where to buy the parts..........
  • stobarstobar Member Posts: 110
    I've been reading back through the 31 pages of notes in this forum. I wanted a good commuter car and found a 1998 Chevy Metro, 1.0 liter 3 cylinder owned by a retiree in Florida with only 28,200 original miles on it! Car was garage kept and still shines. It's that "California Gold Metallic" color, although my wife calls it Yellow. Knowing that the car only averaged 4,000 miles a year, was wondering what all I should check out on it? Car is coming by auto transport and will be delivered today. Won't do any major driving until I have the oil changed and radiator flushed. Hoses look to be good. It's a 5-speed manual transmission, no air, no radio. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    One other item of question - a mechanic told me that the PCV valve for Metro's runs about $80. Is that correct, or possibly different prices for older models or engine sizes? Thanks again.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The price for the PCV valve sounds awful high. They normally run between $10-25. I would suggest changing it yourself since they are very easy to replace, usually just one hose clamp. You might want to change the fuel filter and air filter as well. Otherwise, I don't think anything else would need to be done to it. It sounds like you got a very cheap almost new car! Hope it serves you well. I'm sure you will enjoy the excellent gas mileage.
    It depends on how bad the lifter noise is. Some engines are known for lifter noise when the oil needs to be changed or if the oil is too thin of a weight. If it's just a tapping noise heard mostly at idle or on startup, I wouldn't worry about it and just try to put in a thicker weight oil, like straight 30w or 20w-50. These oils cannot be used in the winter if you live in a cold climate so be sure to switch back to 10w-30 at the appropriate time. In and of itself, a noisy lifter won't harm your engine; it's just annoying to hear. Try a thicker weight oil and see if that helps.
  • ces44ces44 Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get help on this? If not, better late than never.
    I've had trouble with this on my geo's. Its the seat belt controller switches. If they stick open, the seatbelt controller holds the belts unlocked. When you close the door, you should hear a faint clunk/click as the lock is let go inside the door.
    Also check the switch on the ignition lock. I had one come loose.
  • ces44ces44 Member Posts: 2
    This is a very reliable car. I had 420,000+ miles on my 91 when I crashed it into a pipe fence. Oil change every 3000mi, timing belt and O2 sensor every 50,000 miles. One clutch and struts at about 200k miles.
    You must drive like every body else is a nut. A possum at highway speeds will wreck havoc.
    Now that I have my 1998 Metro 2-door hatchback 5-speed, was wondering if anyone can answer a couple questions regarding parts. The car came with the standard 13" steel wheels with black bowtie center cap. Will 13" Metro hubcaps (similar to what was found on the LSI models) fit on these rims? Also, the car was missing the interior mirror cover panel. This is the small black triangular panel that is inside the car behind the drivers side mirror. I have found a black replacement piece, but it has no lever to manually move the mirror. Maybe the lever was not available on the standard model? If not, I will live with adjusting the mirrors with my hand. The passenger side piece does not have this lever. Was hoping someone would know if the lever was found on the base model, or only the LSI? (Ingtonge18 - thanks for your previous response.)
    The hubcaps will fit your wheels. The base Metros did not have lever adjustable side view mirrors. Heck, I was shocked to discover my base 2005 Chevy Colorado doesn't have them either. Chevy needs to modernize a bit in this respect.
  • mrspoonmrspoon Member Posts: 2
    I knocked the old, leverless mirror of my 98 metro one day at the car wash and when I went to the wreckers to buy a new one they gave me one with a lever that fit just fine. I had to get the interior cover as well because mine didn't have a hole in it for the lever. It only cost me $25 cdn. so you may find that worth looking into.
    Thanks for your replies! I have since found that the 1998 base models did not have the levers for mirror adjustment. Regarding that interior part behind the mirror that I was missing, couldn't believe the GM dealer was asking $51 for it! I was fortunate to have found this part on eBay for $4.99. Seller stated it fits 1994-2001 models, but I thought 1998 was the year that the design changed? I know they changed the Metro to the Chevy badge in 1998. I went ahead and ordered in anyway, hoping that it would fit. Here is the link to the part if anyone could verify: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7959695508

Thanks again all!
    mrspoon - did you put the mirror and cover on yourself? How hard is it to put the interior cover on? Listing stated it was attached with two clips?
    If the hubcaps will fit, will the center caps have to be removed or will the hubcaps fit over them? I'm afraid if I have to remove the center caps, there would be a better chance of dirt and dust buildup in the grease.
  • darinmpgdarinmpg Member Posts: 1
    Hello -

I've never owned a Metro/Firefly, but have been interested in them for a few years... Tempted by the excellent fuel economy, but put off by the small size. I also do all my own maintenance/repairs, and I suspect these are easy cars to work on.

I'll never know if I don't try one. So I'm specifically looking for a 1998-2000 Metro/Firefly 3-cyl 5-speed hatchback in Ontario/Western Quebec. I'd prefer a private sale.

If anyone has any leads, please let me know.

Darin
  • mrspoonmrspoon Member Posts: 2
    I don't know if this is too late but it's really easy to put the inside piece on. As with most of the Metro's interior, if you put it in place and give it a whack, it'll go on just swell. Just make sure that when you're screwing the mirror on that the screws atre straight, otherwise when they cross thread they;ll snap off the little plastic things they're supposed to hold in.
    mrspoon - I have ordered the piece but have not put it on yet. The mirror is in place, it's just the interior part. Here is a picture of it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7959695508

From the bare metal on the inside, it looks as if there are two white plastic plugs/nuts that the piece possibly screws into, or was attached to the original piece. One is still in place. Hopefully I will be able to just snap this one in place.
  • flyinv55flyinv55 Member Posts: 1
    OK they are threatening gas prices will be $3 a gallon this summer so I finally decided to buy a Metro. My 87 Honda Accord finally died and a neighbor had a 97 Metro for $1500 so I bought it. It is the 1.3 5spd,2dr, no A/C. There is no owners manual and the odometer is reading 80K miles. The "check engine soon" light is on and I am getting only 33mpg with 90% hwy driving. My main question is what are the 80K mile service recommendations? On my way to work yesterday I spotted a 96 Metro sitting in a yard so I asked the owner if its for sale. I got it for $100, he said the motor is weak with only 122k miles. So now I have a parts car but I wonder if I need to change the EGR, CC and o2 sensor on my 97 at 80K miles? what about the timing belt? How often should the belt be changed?
    flyinv55: It doesn't look like many people are posting to this forum anymore. I bought a used 1998 Metro a few weeks ago, and although a few people have replied, this forum doesn't seem to get the traffic that is used to. I was fortunate to find a low mileage Metro, only 28K miles on it. When I got the car, I went ahead and had all the fluids, hoses, and belts changed out, with the exception of the timing belt, which the mechanic said was in good shape, and new tires. I have also been pouring throught websites to find out what I could from other owners, not to mention reviewing the 31 pages of posts on this forum. My car is just like yours - 5 speed manual, basic car with no a/c; didn't even come with a radio - 3 cylinder, 1.0 liter engine. I had the oil, radiator, and transaxel fluid changed out. Also, the uppper and lower hoses. Recommend you also check the air and fuel filters, and change them out. After reviewing the posts, most it seems have changed out the timing belt at 50-60,000 miles. Might want a mechanic to take a look at it and see if it has the original. If so - change it! Also, I found most people change out the O2 senser at 50,000. These little cars are great and I am happy that I bought it. If you wouldn't mind, please drop me a note, as since you have a part car, if you wouldn't mind, I might be interested in a few parts. My e-mail is: stobar@yahoo.com
  • ecu77ecu77 Member Posts: 3
    A few questions for the Metro faithful:

1. Anybody had blue smoke at startup (after sitting at least 4 hours)? I have 53k on 1.3 auto Enterprise Rental I bought at 48K ( i run 10/30 Mobile 1 every 3K and changed the original plugs at 48 K and they looked normal).

2. Will switching to 175/70/13's hurt my fuel mileage (Averaging 32)
  • ecu77ecu77 Member Posts: 3
    1.3 Owners,

How many of you have found the overhead out to the point of having to adjust the valves? Is this just a check or are you guys adjusting?
  • kbradshawkbradshaw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 3 cylinder, 5 speed, air, 98 metro base model. I bought it at 25,000 miles. I have had it serviced at the local chevy dealer. They were unable to locate the fuel filter. Where is it? Also, mine uses oil. It doesn't leak it nor burn it, but uses over a qt. per 1000 miles which is quite a bit more than any of my other cars. Is that normal?
  • metromaxmetromax Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Metro Lsi with the 1.3 liter and auto trany with just over 50k miles. The car has been surging while cruising. Its like the car will accelerate by itself in little bits. I can't figure out if its a tranny problem of something with the engine. Anyone ever have this type of problem, and how was it fixed?
  • fireflyingfireflying Member Posts: 1
    Just got a 1991 Firefly auto convertible 1.liter.I need new pieces and maybe a new motor and all new seal around the doors..Where can I find all that and what can I expect for prices.
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    The fuel filter is located in the rear wheel well on the l/side, in front of the shock absorber if I recall correctly
  • misfitmisfit Member Posts: 1
    94 Geo Metro wont start. It will turn over but there is no spark coming from the coil. Tried a new coil and still have the same problem. I have already checked all of the fuses, none of them are blown. I have power to the coil through a black and white wire when ignition key is on. Is there something else that I'm missing? It is not the standard type of coil. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • brianlbrianl Member Posts: 2
    Just found a '92 convertable. Always wanted 1. Sort of a modern version of my old Nash Metropolitan. Well used but not especially abused. About 120000 kilos on it. Oil all over the valve cover but the engine does not seem wet. From the tires, needs a front end alignment. Also need the drive's side window crank. Where are the weak points on the car? Any particular component a problem?
  • brianlbrianl Member Posts: 2
    I am in need of the cover(s) for the ragtop when it is down. Also the skidplate or whatever it is called and the exhaust manifold heatsheild. Anyone with a lead?
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    Youve covered everything but the trigger signal for the coil. The ignition coil can have 12v applied to one side of it but still be inoperative because of no ignition trigger.

I dont own a Metro (use to own a Chevy Sprint Turbo). The flow is thus:

1) Magnetic timing pick-up somewhere on engine (camshaft,crankshaft,etc) wired to ignition module.

2) Ignition module wired to one side of ignition coil.

3) other side of ignition coil wired to 12V.

Hope this helps.
  • pdohertypdoherty Member Posts: 1
    HI, new to this forum and metro ownership. I have a 95 3 cly base model. do you know the average mpg, and lifespan of these engines? My first calc yielded 46 mpg mix hwy driving. How did your search come about with the pre 95 engine fitting post 95? Can you tell me the info to get one of those engine and trans you referred to? I seem to have noticed a few people that treat me in my metro differently than any other car I have owned. IE tailgating, and treating me like I am on a bike. Ever get that? I am in WA state east side. Oh, do you know how much these metros weigh? Thank you for your time...
  • llivefreelyllivefreely Member Posts: 1
    I am buying my first car, and on a very small budget (500-1500 dollars max). It's harder than I thought to find a decent car in that price range, but a friend's mother ofered me her old geo metro, it's a hatchback, '98, has 108,000 miles on it, she said she changed the oil and everything when she was supposed to and took good care of it and all that. I'm really not a fan of the car at all (i think it looks like a small bubble, plus it's a teal color) but she was trying to sell it for about 1,000 and is offering it to me for half the price. Now, I have two questions. I'm most likely going to take the car as I don't have a lot of options & it's a generous offer, but everybody I've talked to has told me the geo metro is a horirble car. They tell me I'm going to have to put so much money into it, it's unreliable, etc. I read a bunch of posts on the geo metro, and I saw varying opinions so I guess everybody is going to have differing views on the safety. Any advice I'll glady take, but it might not be anything different from what I've already read. But somebody said they're good if you take care of them, don't "neglect" them... I don't know anything at all about cars, and neither does my mother (and it's just me and her) so can anybody tell me basic maintence stuff, like when/how to change the oil, and anything else I should do and how to do it, to keep my metro in good shape?
    I appreciate any advice! Thanks : )

-jillian
    I'm really not a fan of the car at all (i think it looks like a small bubble, plus it's a teal color) but she was trying to sell it for about 1,000 and is offering it to me for half the price.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - - - -----------

You will be a fan of the car when you pull up to the pump first couple of times. Its a gas miser.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - - - -----------
    They tell me I'm going to have to put so much money into it, it's unreliable, etc. I read a bunch of posts on the geo metro, and I saw varying opinions so I guess everybody is going to have differing views on the safety.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - - - ---

How many Geo Metros have these people owned that are telling you its a money pit? Sounds like anti-small asian car sentiment to me. If you are going to own a tiny asian car you'd better get thick skinned.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - - - -----------------

Any advice I'll glady take, but it might not be anything different from what I've already read.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - - - -------------------

In the $500 to $1500 dollar range these days what are your choices. Seems you picked a very good car for your purposes esp now that the price of gas is on a steady rise. I would go for it and ignore the pundits. If after you get it they still make comments...ask them how much their last fill-up was. As far as safety YOU have to weight the importance of safety vs a car you can afford.

At that mileage make sure the timing belt was replaced on schedule.
  • blakewblakew Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 geo metro 4 door and was wondering what to do about some paint touch - ups. I was wanting to know the actual color of the car. If any one knows a website or any way to find this info please help, and thanks for any inquiry.
    thanks , blake
  • sawmillengsawmilleng Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I'm the proud owner of a 1994 Pontiac Firefly engine and a heap of electronics, courtesy of my local junkyard. I'm repowering an old tracked ATV with this engine and would like to ask, cap in hand, if some kind soul could scan their electrical schematic and email it to me...

I have bought a generic Haynes manual but it has generic schematics. I'm hoping to find one that is specific to my engine. I need it because I have to make sure everything is hooked up correctly when rewiring it for the ATV.

I've got the 1 liter, 3 cylinder, non-turbo'd engine.

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks,
    Jon.
  • rw86347rw86347 Member Posts: 3
    If you have blue smoke at startup then you are leaking a little oil through your valves. You could fix this by having your head rebuilt.

If you remove the head and take it to a machinist they should be able to build it for around $150. However if it isn't burning much oil and the spark plugs are not getting fouled up then I would just leave it alone.
  • navalairdalenavalairdale Member Posts: 1
    I have a metro and im getting bout 38 mpg. I use it every day seeing as i do at elast an hour worth opf driving its proven a great car. The timing belt should be replaced at the latest 100,000 miles 80k is a great time to change it im prob. gonna change mine here soon even though im only at 16 just to avoid future problems. I put on a high flow air filter as better spark plugs a little fuel injector cleaner and some good TLC and my metro treats me just fine ive had it three years and teh only thing thar broke so far is the window. :)
  • silby101silby101 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all!

I have a question that I hope someone might know. I'm looking to replace my headlamp housing with a new one, but I don't like the make of my year, so here's the question.

Can a 98-99 Chevy Metro head light assembly be put on the 95-97 Geo Metro car?

Here is the 98 housing

Here is the 97 head lamp housing

Any thoughts anyone before I go out and pay $260. I prefer the clearness of the newer one, which is my whole reason to get it. Thanks!
  • damemorderdamemorder Member Posts: 1
    They bolt right in.
  • tammyphxaztammyphxaz Member Posts: 1
    i bought my 94 geo metro 2 dr hatch back,3 cylinder 5 speed ,,used and a bit "beat",but cheap,,,it runs great except one problem,,,on acceleration,,it acts as if it is starving for fuel,,,i have to continuesly "feather" or pump the gas,i let up and it picks up again,,,,give it gas and it "starves out" again,,,i am unsure where to begin looking?,,is it a fuel pump problem? or fuel injector problem? or,,,does the injector have a relay? that could be bad?,,totaly at a loss as to where to begin looking,,,can anyone help????e mail to bibgirl2001@hotmail.com with subject geo metro,,,,,thx all
    First things first...start with Fuel Injection cleaner. Chevron Techron in the black bottle is the best IMO. One once per gallon of fuel. Go thru a full tank of gas before you decide whether it worked or not.

If that didnt do it start with the simple things first.

1) Air filter clean?

2) check engine light codes?

3) check fuel pressure. Your pump could be going.

4) Throttle body could be dirty with carbon. May need cleaning.
    When I first bought my metro it burned oil like mad. Everyone stay far behind me. It was nice. Then I rebuilt the motor, now I have people tailing me all the time. I guess I need to emit something that smells :P
  • aceauto1aceauto1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

Working on a 4 door '96 Pontiac Firefly with a 1.3L engine and a manual transmission. Having some serious problems with it. It cranks but refuses to fire. We've tried a new coil, distributor, and a new ECM and nothing has changed. It seems to lose it's spark and injector pulse at the same time.

I was wondering if anyone out there has encoutered a similar problem and what the remedy was.

Many thanks for all your responses.

Cheers,
    Dave
    Although 5port had some good suggestions, to me the most obvious thing to check if it's starving for gas is "replace the fuel filter". A clogged fuel filter will give you the symptoms you describe. Good luck and good metro'ing! I just bought a used 98 Metro 2 months ago and I am loving the 44 mpg!
    The motor is easy. if you google "geo metro motor" you will find several companies that sell japanese refubished engines for $400-$900/
  • sixgun1sixgun1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks,
    I'm looking for a 4 wire o2 sensor for my 1994 Pontiac Firefly. They're hard to find or expensive here in Vancouver.
    Any good websites for finding one, and another one for how to install it?

thanks.