Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet/Geo Metro

Comments

• p10leadmanp10leadman Member Posts: 40
    The 1997 Geo Metro & 1997 Suzuki Swift appear to be identical.... what I need is an EXHAUST manifold for the SWIFT- are they interchangeable?
    I own BOTH...but can not tell without taking them off- which would be insane !
    I can not seem to locate a suzuki swift manifold on google or ebay..any thoughts?
    thanks
    p10leadman@yahoo.com :sick:
    I've yet to see a shelf for the rear trunk cargo area...there are notches in the molding / trim, for one, but never have ;) seen one? has anyone out there seen one or know where I can get 3 of them ???
  • dil48071dil48071 Member Posts: 1
    where is the fuel filter located on my 1995 metro 3 cyl?
  • vanillalattevanillalatte Member Posts: 70
    Pray tell fun loving Geo Owners, what should the idle speed be for a 3 cylinder manual?
    I took off the automatic tranny and installed a manual one in my convertible (Vanilla Latte) because I mostly do highway (it has only 50 000 miles on it-80 000 kill-o-meters). At idle it revs at 1500. Is this normal? I thank you for an answer. By the way, the auto tranny, still filled with oil is in my lobby and for sale.
    Haynes Repair manual says that Geo metros with carbureted engines 1999 and later have filters INSIDE the fuel tank and require no service. BUT Geo Metros that are fuel injected, have a filter underneath the car, left, front, forward of the gas tank. It is small, about 3" diameter and 3-1/2 inches tall, 2 metal steel pipes coming out of it. I replaced mine, but the mounting bolt broke off- so I just remounted it with a new bolt verse old one. Keep in mind these fuel lines are PRESSURIZED....
    Hope this helps- :)
    Haynes does not list a speed sensor, but does instruct how to replace the cable- it is very intense- you basically have to remove the entire instrument cluster- not an easy job ! It is almost as bad trying to replace a burnt out dash light bulb ! Good Luck !!! ;)
  • stan_top_downstan_top_down Member Posts: 52
    My '92 Metro LSI has always idled @ 750 - 850 rpm w/o the ac running.

That makes for a rough idle - 1000 rpm is smoother, but why waste the gas. The rough idle won't hurt the car - it's rough because of 3 cylinders in a 4 cycle engine - there's no way to make it come out even.

Best,

Stan
  • moodybumoodybu Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1991 Geo Metro LSI from a tow company auction. It has 147,000 miles and runs pretty darn good for the whopping total of $195.00 that I paid for it. The A/C even works!!The only real problem I have is keeping it at a constant speed. When I am at the speed I want, it wants to act like I dont have my foot on the pedal? Is there a pedal adjustment for this? Also, how hard is it to change out the brakes on these. I think it needs it. It had half a tank when I got it and I have put in 3 gallons so far, and racked up 300 miles on it thus far. Looks like I git a steal.
    Thank you Stan.
    I did discover a small nut with an inset allen screw governing the pedal travel. I lowered the idle to 1000, I will try for less RPM. The idle does go down but not instantly.
    On the other hand a buddy suggested that I should also swap the ECU from the automatic one to the manual one. What is your opinion?
  • gsmurf_2882gsmurf_2882 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 firefly and it has a terrible knocking noise coming from the passengers side valve cover please help!
  • pipemanpipeman Member Posts: 58
    Hello. Where do you heard about the conversion?
    First, the diesel is more heavy engine, what size engine?
    Second, what transmission do you think you can use on the diesel?
    I doubt about the 99 MPG. You can't run the vehicle on air.
    You need some fuel, diesel.
    Let me know, what you are planning, and maybe I can offer some help.
    Remember, the suspension on the Geo is week, sub frame is rusting very easy. The heavy diesel will put more stress on the suspension and also on the "unitize" body sub frame.
    The engine mounting will be completely different and also transmission. Next question will be the CV joints. They can handled the torque? Many aspect must be take under consideration, before you can spend any money.
    Let me know. The diesel man. Mark :surprise:
    Lisa. If you know this guy, he can rebiult the engine for about less than $750.00. YOu can order parts from the store or buy on ebay. You must shop around and you will find good prices
    The entire engine set you can purchase for around $ 220.oo
    Sometime they will include the headbolts.
    You will need also the oil pan gasket, which are not included in the engine set. ( I do not know why)
    Rebuild cyl head will run around 125.00.
    I can give you emails to suplyers of he geo metro parts.
    YOu can find hem on ebay. Very important - look for feedback.
    If the car has nice body, the car is worth to spend $ 1000, or 1200. Remember, new car cost payment min. 250 + insurance. 4 months payment of new car will cost you new engine and no more montly payment.
    I rebiultb several geo metros and thjey are easy to work.
    Just, take the time and make the job correct.
    Mark - the diesel man.
    YOu will need pulley to pull fo the front rotors.
    YOu need time. If you never replaced the brakes, do not try. You will hat.
    Do not use metalic brakes. Try to purchase original-non metalic. Better for rotors and for brakes.
    Also replaced the DOT 3 fliud.
    CHeck aslo the "frame" on the front of the floor panel.. Put some oil or gfrease, to protect from rust. Those cars are notorius for rusting on lower control arm, which is attached do the control arm.. If this is gone, the car is gone and maybe you too. Danger.
    Diesel man
    Propably the "lifter" is stock. What oil you are using?
    PLease add to the engine oil one quater of transmission fluid ( engine must be warm) and run the engine for around 1 hour. Just drive. After that, drain the oil, put new oil filter and new 10/30 castrol - 4 quartz- ( not 3) and drive. I think you have dirty lifter.
    Most of the time will help.
    diesel man
    Please also check the EGR valve, maybe the "sensor" is making noise.
    Why do you want to replaced the original exhaust manifold?
    Somthink is wrong with ?
    If you think is diffrent, you are wrong.
    the manifolds have very W I D E cracks in them...very noisey.... I am also trying to find the signal light / headlight /wiper switch assembly- none on ebay, none in junkyards-in Maine....

All I have is high beams left... :P
  • benboybenboy Member Posts: 1
    Can Somebody tell me the simpliest way to disconnoct the autolock feature on my 94 geo ? I really hate this so called safety device..Safety ?You outta see my blood pressure go up every time i gotta go around the car to get in the pasenger side...Please help me..ThaNks for your ideas..Paul
    Follow up.
    No need to change ECU, computer, or any of that stuff. I got the idle at exactly where I want it and the thing purrs. I went for a long trip in Northern Quebec and averaged 60.44 miles to the imperial gallon. that's 51 miles to the US gallon or 4,56 liters per 100 kill-o-meters! vanilla latte is wearing 195 X 50 X 15 tires. The calculation was done with the 5,6% error added, stock is 165 X 65 X 13
    Any exhaust manifold from 3 cyl engine will fit. Just check the opening of the exhaust ports on the cyl. head with the gasket for any misalignment. If you wish, you can "chamfered" the exhaust manifold inlet port with the hand file for 45 degree to improve the flow.
    Easy job. Replaced all bolts with studs on the cyl head. More easy to mount the exhaust on the cyl. head.
    Clean the EGR ports in the cyl head - opening hole on the bottom of the cyl head close to the distributor side.
    Also clean the port running in the exhaust manifold.
    You should be done with 2 hrs.
    four cylinder not three......kinds hard to find a four cylinder exhaust manifold in Maine.. I just bought a steering colum from CANADA, as I could find no used ones here..(or on ebay for that)
    :confuse:
    You need different ECU for manual. THis will cost you.
    This is to much work to change auto to manual. You will never recover the cost saved on the gas.
    :surprise:
    Look on ebay or on website. You will find.
    Or you can talk to good welder, he can cut off the runners and weld new runners to the casting flanges. I did this on few models.
    YOu can also oversize the outlets and have "little screemer". :)
    Well ipeman, I sorry to contredict you. It was not a tremendous amount of work at all.
    I did NOT have to change the ECU, I simply adjusted the stop at the idle screw.
    I am now doing an average of 57 miles to the gallon (imperial). I am saving on the tear and wear on the brakes, suspension and bearings because of the much lighter weight of the manual tranny: 65 versus 120 ils. Thanks anyway for your encouragement.
    YOu do not need catalytic converter. If you do not have to made any state test, do not replaced. Just run straight pipe and replaced the O2. I run my w/out and I got 0n 3 cyl. engine close 48-53 mpg.
    Also, if you remove the catalytic, run the car and check, how is going. I can guaratee, will run better. You will save the $$$$ on O2 sensor. You can buy the sensor for around 40.00, but also you can keep the buck in your packet.
  • titanman21titanman21 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know the firing order of a 1990 geo metro??
    If I remeber 1-3-2
    Well done!

I'm glad you enjoy the car.

Best,

Stan
    I know you've already gotten the column from Canada, but you might keep this website in mind for the future - it's a very large discussion group for all the Swift / Metro / Firefly cars, and the folks are very helpful:

http://www.teamswift.net/

Best,

Stan
  • jenniksimsjenniksims Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 geo metro, that we put a new clutch in about 2 and a half years ago. I think that the clutch cable has come off, and I need to know where to locate it, can someone help me? :confuse:
    Top of the trans.- close to the engine block- look for the pin with nurrling sticking out of transm.
    You must have a lever arm mounted on the nurling. Must be mounted with markings on the pin and lever arm.
    Why is so difficult to find the cable?
  • cwl13cwl13 Member Posts: 3
    I am going to install a rebuilt a/c compressor in a 96 Geo Metro and I am looking for somewhere that I can find out how much oil to put in the compressor.
    Thanks. I didn't know about the weight differents between the manual and automatic. How did you solve the problem with the clutch pedal, link to the manual trans., shifting links etc?
    Let me know. You are correct about the millage - auto trans deliver up to 37 mpg aaaand 5 speed around 48,50 mpg (american gallons).
    I got on 1994 53, 55 and on 1991 only 48 mpg.
    Have good day. Mark, the pipeman or diesel man
    Hello to the futre owner of the GEO METRO.
    First - negative points.
    1. when you drive, look around. Another drivers never pay attenion to the geo. They never see them, but YOU CAN AVOID THEM,
    2. Before you purchase the geo, go under the car and look for the front suspension lower control arm mounted to the florr panel, close to the front seat. If they are rusted, SAY GOODBAY. You can't fixed, or you will be "lost in the space".
    3. Look for the rust all over. This car is not bad for rust, but not much.
    SECOND - the positive:
    1. The engine ,even with over 150 000 milles, you can drive next 50- 70000 miles. Just maintain properly.
    2. I'm driving monthly around 3000 milles and cost me only $170.00 compering to my truck F 150 with 6 cyl. 300 cu about 18,18 mpg.
    You will love THE MONEY IN THE POCKET.

JUST PAY ATTENTION, when you drive and be safe.
    Let me know what you buy. DO NOT PURCHASE AUTOMATIC, you will save money with 5 speed.
    Mark
    Hello Mr. underpower - my metros 1991 and 1994 I can take on every car, except Corvette and BMW.
    Is small , fast and fit everywhere, even passing on the wrong side of the road. Pipeman

WHO AGREE WITH ME?
    Alex. You are geo lover. I'm also. I have a lot of fun, when I'm driving. This car fit everywhere. Just keep running and passing the "phonetalking", news readers, buissness people on the phones. Just watch them and enjoy the GEO METRO. King of the road.
    Mare the pipeman
    Hi there Pipeman!
    I was thinking of my transplant this very morning and someone sent me a picture of the diesel engine available in France.
    I took the pedals from a scrap car and repainted the assembly. It had new rubbers. The holes are already in the firewall. As the manual tranny bolts right on, all I did was renew the bushings below the stick shift. The manual shift goes right in the center, what's the name? console. I unscrewed the plate from the manual, kept my console, and screwed it in. The only labor intensive operation was to undo the bracket from the automatic that prevents the console from wobbling. Everything looks stock. I bought a new stick shift boot and gear knob. That particular type of vinyl becomes gooey if you have engine oil on your hands. With the tachometer cluster that I found and the sway bar mounted in GREASSABLE bushings coupled and the 15 inch mags AND rear disk brakes, I'm in heaven. The GT seats are extremely comfortable. I shift gears at around 2200 RPM. I'm not a sissy, but over the years I did find out that pushing the revs up only uses a lot of oil. Vanilla Latte only needs a new canvas deep blue with zippered window top to be perfect. Toodle dee doo.
    Congratulation, you are in the heaven with the Geo.
    What diesel engine you are talking?
    Let me know. How do like the GT seats?
  • jb9200jb9200 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 97 Ego Metro with a California emissions/exhaust system. Can I replace the manifold and oxygen sensor with a non-California system??
    First - please find what Oxy sensor do you have on the vehicle, what number, how many wires.
    after 6that, I can help you.
    I do not have to much knowledge about California stndarts, but you never know. ONe think, you can't eleminate the sensor, because ECU will need "data" from the sensor to calculate the amonund of fuel injected in the t/body.
    If you will disconect the "oxy", you will notice the difference.
    Mark
    Thanks for the response. Don't know the Oxy sensor number. The car is in the shop. They are telling me that to replace the manifold and pipes/sensors up to the converter will cost me between $1200-1800. (I love my Ego Metro, but not that much.) They attribute the high cost to the Calif emissions system. The prices for non-Calif systems are much cheaper. My experience has been that servicing the Metro has always been relatively cheap -- parts seem inexpensive; with the exception of this Calif emissions system? My question is can't an exhaust shop make the the parts from manifold (including manifold) to converter with a Calif Oxy sensor? And/or, could'nt a non-Calif manifold and pipe be substituted for the calif versions? And is using non-calif parts legal and will it pass emissions?
    gracias.
    jb
    I will reply in the mornning. What year is the metro and I need the VIN.
    I think the price is very high, but first let me look and I will try to help you if possible.
    I know, that California emission are different, I will look in the emmission book for the code.
    YOu must pass emission test?
    Pipeman
    Thank you for your response and assistance. The car is a 97. I do not have the VIN # with me but can get it tonight eastern time.
    cheers,
    jb
    This vehicle shouldn't have diffrent emission standarts in 49 states. What is wrong with the car. Please explaine.
    The exhaust manifold shouldn't be different than another states. YOu can purchase used one on ebay, or junkyard.
    Also, you can purchase used down pipe with catalist used.
    Let me know the problem. 1200 - 1800, sounds expensive, but we need to feed familly, govorments, wifes, kids, etc.
    I got parts from geo, let me know this 3 or 4 cyl.
    OH, but you are so wrong! There is a special Califoria emmission manifold. How well I know. I have a 1997 Geo Metro with that exact manifold. BUT , I used a standard manifold, took it to a qualified exhaust shop, and had the pipe welded onto the exhaust end of the manifold. It is the only reasonable solution. And yes, the price quote is near correct- over $900.oo for the correct manifold.
    I have a 1995, a 1996 Suzuki Swift and a 1997 Geo metro, all 2 door hatchbacks with 4 cyl engines. The 1997 has the special manifold, all others are of the 49 state type...
    go figure. I understand they were all built in Canada.
    ;)
    Dear p10leadman,

Thanks for the info. Please confirm:
    1. A non-California manifold WILL fit the engine.
    2. But then an exhaust shot will then have to fashion a pipe from the manifold to the rest of the exhaust.

Will this effect my ability to pass emissions?

And yes, my '97 Ego Metro is Canadian.

Thanks
  • jimbo1964jimbo1964 Member Posts: 1
    I had a timing belt changed in January along with a complete tune up (plugs, wires,etc.) Recently I've experienced problems with starting/running in the morning. It starts right away, but after I put it in drive and go a few dozen yards, the engine bogs(when I press the gas pedal)
    At first, feathering the gas pedal got me through it, and once I got it on the highway (65+ mph) I couldn't detect any more problems. The wierd thing is that it happens only in the morning. There were times that my car would be parked at work for 12-14 hours, but would start and run no problem. I recently got home late from work, so that the care only sat for 6 1/2 hours. It started, choked and stopped. A friend of my roommate said it was the fuel pump-and changed it. He said he ran it on the highway for 15 miles, but when I picked it up, it died 30 feet out of the shop driveway. He was able to start it by blasting some spray into the carb, but the engine wouldn't stay running.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks for reading this and responding :)
  • suppleesupplee Member Posts: 5
    can I use a 1990 1.lt motor to replace the one in my 1997 metro?
    yes it can be made to fit and work, but I doubt very much it will pass California or NY emission testing. It was done for a reason......hhhmmmmm too bad huh? sorry, no good ideas -I scoured ebay, and the other areas with not much luck. Maine has no emisssion testing for MY specific county, but some counties in maine do have testing. :confuse:
    good luck !
    Myself, I keep wearing out headlight / turn signal switches ! I've gone thru 3 sets already.
    not likely. emissions, and controls are differnt, and the tranny and suspension would have to swap also, and then there would be the alignment needed after that... really a questionable project.
    sorryimage