Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent Hatchbacks

Comments

• rastosrastos Member Posts: 4
    The gas tank cap was always tightened enough.

The car is still under warranty (we here have 3 years of warranty), I will took it to the service.

Probably You are right, I hope so. I like Hyundai and this is in fact the first problem I have with this make. I still have a Pony (Excel HB) also, for 13 years and believe it or not it is not much worse than when new. Absolutely no problems with it! So I just don't like to be dissapointed with Hyundai.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Um I have filled my tank until it pours out on the ground many times and have never had a problem. You may need a new fuel cap as the system is pressurized and it sounds as if it is not holding pressure. One other question. I was wondering why you chose the Accent over the Getz. Was the Getz available in your country when you purchased your Accent?
  • rastosrastos Member Posts: 4
    Now it is repaired. It was something wrong with vapor hose and fuel lines. Now it behaves normal, even if I fill the tank full as possible.

Why the Accent over the Getz? It is of the right size for me, Getz is smaller. Otherwise, Getz wasn't available in our country in 2000, I think it is newer for a year or two than Accent2000. It is probably a nicer car for the city and short distances, but Accent is a better choice if You often travel for some 100 km or more away from home. And finally, the Getz is only a bit cheaper than Accent.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    My nephew sent me this link. He has a new Getz and has been very happy with it. It looks like a much sportier car than the Accent. I wish Hyundai would make a true small sports model for us here in the States.
    http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1923/article.html
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I went down to my friends house and checked out how my old 00 Accent was doing. It now has a bit over 40k. No warranty repairs have been needed. Only the battery and a few brake light bulbs have died since I parted with the car at 25k. Everything is still in working order and it runs just as good as the day I bought it. The front brake pads are worn out and squeaking and the clutch pedal squeaks when you depress it. Other then that, the interior and exterior has held up well to the rigors of Florida sunshine and heat. That car is a darn good little car. Anyone who needs cheap transportation should really look at the Accent. I have no doubts in its ability to provide reliable transportation.
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    With all due respect, I think that nowadays any car should last 40k without any problems. Glad to hear that your Accent has provided reliable service to you. I didn't expect any less.
    You would think thats true, but in all honesty, it's not. The chances of running into some sort of problem in 40k is very easy. My sister had Honda buy back her 00 Odyssey due to multiple problems in only 17k and I traded in my 03 Suzuki Aerio at 9k after some very annoying problems that couldn't be fixed by the dealer. My old 00 Accent (I don't own or drive the car anymore; its owned by a close friend of mine so I was merely reporting on how it has held up) needed a new water pump and throw out release bearing by 22k. But anyway, I was simply showing Hyundais are capable of staying reliable after the newness wears off.
  • newbuyer31newbuyer31 Member Posts: 31
    Hi All,
    I need reviews please. My situation is this.
    I live on the east coast harsh winters, specifically speaking of the snow. My main mode of transportation is a ford Mustang. As we all know it's a no go in the snow. I am speaking to a dealer now regarding a 1997 Accent. He says as it is front wheal drive it will be ok in the snow. This is my main purpose for the car (winter driving, snow conditionds). The asking price is $3,000 which is cheap as I only need it for snow conditions. Please advise if I am wasting my time here or if this car would be reliable to-from work in snow conditions. This is the only reason I am looking for it as a second vehicle. Please help anyone, I appreciate all comments and suggestions. Thanks very much in advance!
    Depends totally on how many miles it has and how well it was cared for. The Accent has a stout reliable engine, but the car you are looking at is 6 years old so who knows how it was cared for. Have a mechanic thoroughly check it over. With a good set of snow tires, the low power of the Accent should keep it well planted in slushy conditions. By the way, the 3k price sounds steep. $2k would be a more reasonable price.
    Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!!!
    I have not gotten the information yet, I only looked at the car tonight after work. I don't know about the previous care. What do you think? The dealer has to look for the mileage he believes around 65,000 miles. Three thousand dollars then is too much to pay for this car?
    I need something for the snow as the Mustang is not capable of driving in these conditions?
    I understand it's not made for that. I just want something to take me to-from work because I am single and live and work on a rural route.
    Thanks again VERY MUCH for your advisements!!!!!!
    Hi, Well now I have bought the Accent it is a 98.
    I picked it up yesterday, I only wanted this as a second car to get to and from work primarily for snow conditions as my car is a Mustang. I came home from work yesterday as we on the East Coast have had our first storm of the season 8 inches. I had one hell of a time getting back from work in my Musatang, almost didn't make it.
    Before the snow came the deal to buy the car was made and that it would be picked up on that night. I was hesitant about going as the snow was picking up even more. I went anyway and had the perfect oppurtunity to see how the Accent drives in snow. I am happy to say it had no trouble. I am glad now about buying this car.
    Needless to say, today after the snow stopped I went out tonight with the full 8 inches of snow still in my driveway in front of the car and it pulled out without any slippage at all. My Mustang is parked behind it in front of the garage where I think it will stay for a long time as it WOULD NOT HAVE GONE ANYWHERE. I am already glad I bought this car, even though it is
    VERY SLOW. I guess I am used to the Mustang, but I did not expect it to be fast at all with the small engine. I think it still does ok for such a small engine, it is fun to drive and I think I will let the Mustang stay parked for a while and have some fun with this. I do think though, it shifts kind of rough, maybe this is just the way the car is built? Can anyone give me an advisement? It is 5 speed.
    Thanks for any tips you may have.
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    no need to feel like you are slumming when you drive it. I was ready to buy a new 3 door, but then Mazda went and offered $3000 rebates and suddenly the 03 Protege was a cheaper car.
    Thanks Lawman, I did have the feeling of slumming if you will. But now I think it is an ok little car. Good deal on your Mazda. Have you ever had a Hyundai before? Can you offer an advisement regarding the shifting? Thanks anyway if you cannot.
    Her is another problem I have, I assumed, wrong on my part because I am old enough to know you should NEVER assume anything. The insurance addition wouldn't be that bad. The insurance company has now advised me of an additional $700 bill for this car in addition to my Mustang. WHY would insurance be that much for a cheap little car. That is the million dollar question I also have in addition to the performance of the shifting. Is anyone on here anymore besided the law people or is it hopeless for me to talk to someone who can do so freely?
    First your insurance went up not s much because the Accent itself, but just because you are now insuring two cars instead of one.

As for Hyundais, I've never owned one, but I've driven many having lived in South Korea for two years. Shifters are not as precise as what you will find on a Honda, but overall aren't bad. Comparing to a Mustang keep in mind that the Accent is a front wheel drive car, and thus the shifter operates through rods and connectors, whereas your rear drive Mustang's shift lever sits right on top of the transmission.
    The Accent 5 speed is a bit on the rough side; the tranny definitely needs to be refined. My 00 Accent was the same way. I crunched the gears going into 3rd and 5th a number of times and it was sometimes hard to get it into first. You get used to it and its capable of lasting the life of the car. The Elantra and Tiburon shifters are way better.

As for insurance, Hyundais tend to be a bit more expensive to insure then Ameican cars due to higher repair costs (Hondas are way worse due to their high theft rates). All parts must come from Korea so that makes replacements parts expensive. You still might want to look around for cheaper insurance though.
    Hi,
    Thanks Lawman and Ingtonge for you input. I overlooked the points made in you a/m messages, The insurance bill I wasn't expecting to be so bad as the cars are cheap let's face it. But the obvious is the overseas parts issue. I am stuck with the higher bill now. Oh well. Also, Lawman yes thanks to you too, I do have to realize they are two different autos not on the same level, your explanation makes sense. Also, Ingtonge, I have a problem with this car in addition to as compared to my Mustang (rough shifting) all the way around. But, it gives me the most trouble shifting into 5th. I left the Mustang parked in the driveway where it has been, still covered with snow. I think this little car is ok but I guess I just have to get used to it.
    Another question I have. I am used to the Mustang so I keep making mistakes by way of being to hard on the clutch and giving to much gas. I try to remember it's only a small car but I guess just habit, what you are used to. Am I hurting the car too much mechanically by making these mistakes? This is only my third day (first full day of driving it). I am getting adjusted and used to it now though, so I hope that will stop soon.
    Accents are very durable cars.

I drove a Mitsibishi Galant for the last two years and just downsized to a Mazda Protege (both automatic). At work I drive a Ford Crown Victoria.
  • soggydogsoggydog Member Posts: 67
    You said your insurance went up an additional $700., is that per year? That is a lot even if it is per year, but If you are under 25 and you are required to have comprehensive and collision insurance because you borrowed money for the car, $700 sounds about right. Otherwise I don't think I would bother with collision insurance on a car that old. The only other thing to consider is how does the cost of insurance on the Hyundia compare to the Mustang.
    Yes, I am over 25, did not borrow money to buy this car paid outright. The $700 is per year. As compared to my Mustang it is far cheaper.That also has full coverage the $700 is per year for liability coverage on the Hyundai. I also take into account two years ago I has a Ford Ranger and totalled it in an accident that was determined to be my fault so I do pay a premium now for an at fault accident. However, I am still looking into it because now the insurance company is putting the accident surcharge on both vehicles but it is alreay on the Mustang, my understanding was the accident surcharge was per policy not per vehicle. I haven't got the newest bill yet because I only just bought this Hyundai. I think though, they rated both cars (which are on the same policy) with the accident surcharge and it should only be on the Mustang. I am going to call them to find out for sure.
    I
  • chckeb1chckeb1 Member Posts: 8
    Is there anyone other than myself who purchased this car and can tell me how theirs is doing, Ive got 16,000 miles on her and shes consuming more gas lately, all required repairs have been done. Is the car sucking it up or the gas companines?
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    ...would be helpful.

How much more consumption are you seeing?

What part of the country are you from? How cold is the weather?

Do you warm your car up in the morning, or just start and drive off?

Did you have this car last winter? If so, what was your mileage/fuel consumption then? Better than now?

Does your area switch gasoline formulation in the winter (oxygenated fuels)?

You'll get a better response if you can answer some of these questions.
    How many MPG difference can we expect in summer and winter driving? I live in LA and while not too cold (50s in the morning), we do have all the wacky gas formulations.
  • gitongiton Member Posts: 15
    I bought a new Accent in May 2000.
    So far, problems have been
    -Oxygen sensor died
    -windshield washer pump died
    -passenger seat track wouldn't catch

Minor problems all. All fixed under warranty.

In 2001 I bought 4 Blizzak snow tires, made a world of difference in the snow (live in Chicago).

I replaced brake pads recently at my own expense, but that is normal for a 3 year old car and city driving.

Insurance. It was very expensive to insure at first, but now its dropped and its very cheap to insure.

I think these cars are a sweet deal used, as long as you don't get an abused one. I wouldn't buy one new again, they depreciate too quickly. But its been reliable, and its small size helps in the city.
  • hudraheadhudrahead Member Posts: 169
    Been trying to find a 2004 GT with power package & A/T. Most dealers only have one or two GT's and very few have any with power package. They all have tons of L & GL HB's. Why the shortage of the GT ? Did that short strike @ the plant a few months ago cause this or do the dealers just don't feel the GT will have much demand? I think for a el-chepo grocery getter this little rollerskate is really a great deal. I have a employee that just "has to have" one of these for her company vehicle. I'll just have to keep searching I guess.

HUD :):)
    Well, my main mode of transportation is a Ford Mustang. I bought a Hyundai accent GS about 2 months ago solely for the purpose of driving to -from work in the snow. Well, now my Mustang is broken down, but.... at least I can still get to work with the Hyundai. Of course there is no comparison, but at least the Hyundai is still driving. I bought it used, it now has 85,000 miles. However, it is driving and my Mustang with far less miles at a very much greater cost all the way around is not. So, while I cannot answer your questions above, it is just something to think about, and maybe even consider the Hyundai as an overall good vehichle no matter what minor problems it has.
    Newbuyer: Feel confident in your Accent purchase. We have had several in our business "fleet" that have gone well over 100K with virtually NO problems. Just normal wear and tear stuff, brake pads, tires etc. For their price range ALL Hyundais offer outstanding value and gee, what more could ask of a car costing under $11,000 ? The Toyota & Hyundai mfgs would just as soon you not know just how good these Korean offerings have become.

I personally had a Mustang also (1998) & it began a downward spiral after about 30K miles. Tranny problems, oil leaks, some electrical stuff. Dumped it @ 65K when looking at a new torque converter and water pump.

Thanks Hudrahead for your review. I have a question just wondering if anyone else finds this to be the case or if I have a problem here.
    I live on the East Coast and today alone with the windchill factor it was about 8 degrees. Even during "normal season temps" here this car has "NO HEATER". Since my Mustang is out of commission at the moment until I have it looked at I have to use the Hyundai as my main vehichle now. The heater is not broken but I get back from work about 20 miles away from here and the heat is just then becoming noticeable. Otherwise , nothing. It blows cold air? It never gets close to providing decent heat. Also, it seems when it does give you a hint of warmth it is onlt while driving, if you stop at a traffic light it blows cold air again even if it has begun to provide some heat. Is that the way it is with Hyundai's. Just curious to know? Thanks all for any advisements on this matter.
    My Mother-in-law has an Accent and she reports that it has a good heater. With that said, I suggest you check the coolant level. Look at both the overflow bottle and in the radiator cap (when the coolant is cool, of course, to prevent burns). Make sure that it's full.

If your coolant level is good, I'd suspect a faulty thermostat, stuck in the "open" position.

Does your car have a coolant temperature gauge? What does it read during your commute? Always cold?
    My 00 Accent had a good heater. It usually took a bit longer then my other cars to start putting out good heat, but I'm talking like 3 miles instead of 1. I suspect a thermostat stuck in the open position or a heater control cable not opening the heater valve fully. The only other possibility is a clogged heater core, but that would mean you should see a lot of gunk and rust in the cooling system. Good luck!
    newbuyer: A stuck tstat would be the most logical (and least expensive)place to start as that is pretty common. . A clogged heater core IS a possibility but @ "only" 65K miles on the car not very likely. Look @ the coolant, Is it clean or have any evidence of rust ? Since you probably don't know for sure if the system has ever been flushed it might be a good time to do so. It is possible to get a "air lock" in the heater core which prevents coolant from flowing through. A drain and flush not done properly can cause a air lock situation.

Another tip off that you may have a stuck thermostat is poor gas mileage. The computer may think the car is not warmed up and will cause it to run rich. If operating properly you should get plenty of heat.

Thanks all for your advisements. I appreciate them very much. To tell the truth I only bought the car about two months ago if that just for driving in the snow because the Mustang is my #1.
    I have driven the car all this week cause of the Mustang being out of commision and I still have not evre gooten any heat. The heater only "begins" to give a "trace" of warm air after I am already home. I only drove the car before this about 4 times really since I bought it, cause Iam always in the Mustang. My brother has taken it out sometimes and confirms the same problem as me. The temp gauge reads not on "dead cold' almost to halfway, after I am about halway into my to-from work commute almost exactly 10 miles. I get about 180 miles on a tank of regular gas. I have never owned a Hyundai before or any other small car with a baby engine so I have nothing to compare too. I buy only regular gas in this car and get 180 on a tank but it only costs $10 or $11 dollars. So to me that is outstanding considering my usual car gas bills even being premium. Does that sound too low mileage for a tank of reg. gas in this car?
    What id the usual for you others on yours?
    Also, as I said I bought it used real cheap it has 85K maybe it could be because of the high miles, these cars tend to have more problems? It is 98. I will take it back to the dealer now and have the t-stat checked out and tell them the problem. I will first check the fluids per your advisements to see what's going on here. I thought it might just be cause the cars are so cheap they just have nothing by way of options etc, so I thought ok, but did think in the back of my mind it should have a decent heater. I am towing out my Mustang in the am to have it checked out and hoping until I have the Hyundai checked out I can put it back on the road so I can actually get to work with heat and not be
    shaking and freezing the whole way, that has sucked very much. Talk yo ya later and pleaase do let me know what you think, especially about the gas mileage if it does not sound right because maybe I hae another problem to look into.
    newbuyer: Miles to a tankfull based on "a tank full" is not very accurate. What you need to do is fill the tank, don't overfill, just fill to the auto pump cuts off, set your trip odometer and record how far you actually drove until you fill again. Over three or four fillups you then will be able to figure your actual MPG. I would think that even allowing for winter driving you should get at least in the high 20 mpg range. Much less than that could indicate a problem somewhere.

Thanks for the tips. The coolant is fine, no rust or other particles. I got my Mustang fixed and have been driving it now, a minor problem with a hose. It is so cold here now I will leave the Hyundai sit for a while until I get a chance to take it to the dealer, probably is the t-stat then. I will find out soon. I will try the gas mileage tip too, problem is I just don't drive it enough I suppose to find out the actual mpg then. Since I drove this week I have not used a whole tank of gas it still looks as though 180 miles will be on this tank.
    I have an Hyundai Accent GT 03, recently changed plugs at 15,500, along with air filter and lof, yesterday started the car for first time in 2 day lay over heard a popping sound from under the hood engine lite came on, I shut off car waited a min. or 2 and restarted got same noise, went to mechanic who did plugs he said it could be gas cap, I had already checked that could it be the plugs he said no car is under warranty bring it to dealer, he refused to check under the hood at all because its under warranty which is true but i believe that if a plug blew thats not under warranty and not only would i have paid this guy but now id be paying the dealership to check out what this guy should do anyway, work was done about 3 weeks ago, I called the dealer who told me sometimes the lite takes 3-4 days to go off and it was okay to drive the car as of last nite the lite was still on im not feeling and major bucking i have 4 cylinders can anyone tell me if i lost power to a plug wouldnt i feel some kind of a difference can this just be the o2 sensor, since having started the car for a total of 4 times yesterday i havent heard the noise again thanks for any help im a woman and we all know what a mechanic can do to woman lol !!!!!!!!
    It sounds to me the mechanic caused the problem. The popping noise could be caused by a spark arcing out from a tear in the spark plug wires and this action will cause a misfire and thus turn on the check engine light. Spark plug wires are fragile and if they aren't pulled off the plugs properly, they can tear or crack, allowing a means for the spark to find an exit before getting to the plug. If the spark plug wire is damaged only slightly, it might not manifest itself again until you encounter wet weather (you will then feel a hesitation when accelerating). It's also possible the wires weren't seated completely over the plugs and now that the engine has warmed up numerous times, it may have allowed the rubber to seal and you won't encounter the problem again. Either way, you are covered under warranty so you have nothing to lose by taking it in and having the code pulled. Don't tell them you had someone else change the plugs. What they don't know won't hurt them. Good luck in getting the problem fixed!

I have to ask though...why did you have the plugs changed so early? They aren't scheduled to be changed until 30k. And in all honesty, they can run 60k with no problems.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    you win the prize for run on sentence. I have to admit... I've never seen a 246 word sentence. ;-)
    First, wow Smokey you actually counted the words?! Bless you, you have much more free time than I do. Question, looking for Intonge the man to see for an advisement. I am thinking about selling my Mustang and driving the Hyundai as my only car. I bought it used a few months back it now has 86,000 miles. I bought it from a reputable dealer but wonder if it's a mistake. It is a 98 accent. How long will these cars go? Would I be able to go to mid 100,000 on this car or have a better chance of winning the lottery? Thanks.
    I have no doubt the Accent can handle 150k. The car is very simple in design and the engine is durable. The Accent's main flaw is it's weak automatic tranny, so if you have a 5 speed you don't need to worry about that. There was a guy in this forum who last reported his trouble free 95 Accent had 158k. He was so pleased with the car's reliable nature, he bought an 02 Elantra and kept the Accent as a side car. Someone else reported he was happy with his 99 Accent GL, with the only failures being the alternator at 65k and the auto tranny at 97k (tranny was replaced free under warranty!). As long as your car starts right up, drives good, and doesn't burn any oil, you shouldn't have any problems with it. Just make sure the timing belt has been changed at the recommended 60k intervals. The only wear items you may run into is the alternator, radiator and water pump. Otherwise, it should just be tires and brakes.
    Ingtonge18, lights off, car is purring, have no clue what it was, car must have been having a bad day I had plugs checked theyre fine, and I changed them at 15 going by the book thats the recommendation
    ps to Smokey75 sorry this sentence isnt as long as last but its late and Im tired Ill try again next time lol
    Are you absolutely certain the manual said that? Mine said replace at 30k per normal schedule. There is no reason for you to replace plugs every 15k. Seriously, save your money because you are simply throwing it out the window with no benefit to your car. There is no car manufactured today that require those kind of spark plug change intervals.
    Apoligize for delaid response. Im learning how to make sentences lol. The manual does state changing plugs at 15, I couldnt believe it myself the mechanic said same thing, so he looked in the book and there it was! Thats in the past whats done is done the money is out the window lol, no more check engine, so on to new problem. I went to gas station for a fill (I was at 1/4), tank normally takes $12 at that point, it took $7 and the pump clicked off, gauge read 3/4. Im in believe that it is the pump and nothing to do with the tank. It's just ironic how little things are popping up since the plug change or it could just be that I subconciously don't like this car lol. The true fact though is that my gas mileage has gone out the window (with the $)Ive gone from 31 pmg to 26 mpg and am very consistant on my driving. When I went to fill from 1/4 the pump shut off at 3/4 and no more would fit. What else is going out this window? (this car lol) Is there a patern her or is this one of the Hyundai Lemons?
    Per my previous post about the heater on the 98 Accent, I am finally going to take it back to the dealer on Monday. I had my brother look at it on Friday as we had snow, sleet, and freezing rain. I had to borrow a car cause my two did not drive and was real late for work, nice. The Accent windshield wipers went out, my brother fixed it said it was a fuse but said he looked at the heater problem. I know nothing about cars but he said something about having two fans for the heater but one is dead in the water which is causing my problem, probable the mention of heater core as before. Now, I bought it used but did get a six month or 6,000 mile limited warranty with the car. Warranty does not state specifically about the heating unit but says like components such as defrost, etc things for the back windshield wiper and issues regarding the heater. Does it sound like this could be covered by the warranty. The warranty I got was that I pay $100 and the rest is covered. If not how much would you suppose, I'll take any estimate or best guess would it cost to fix this problem? Thanks for any advisements.
  • tmangtmang Member Posts: 1
    I bought the Canadian Version of the 2003 Hyundai Accent GT (the GSI) in May 2003. Where I am in Canada the temp ranges from approximately -40F(-32C) to 90F(36C).

There is a huge mpg difference from the summer to winter. I notice gas consumption the most below -15C. In canada fuel is also volume corrected to a temp. of -15C. So when it is colder than -15C as soon as the gas leaves the pump, we lose volume. This could possibly be part of your gas tank problem (probably not a 1/4 tank worth though). Most likely the neck on the tank is narrow, so if the pump is pushing a lot of fuel the autofill may kick out before the tank is full.

Now to engine lights and spark plugs. My engine light has come on 3 times this winter. Mind you we had temps below -32C and in one case when it warmed up the light went out. I did however have the car in twice, and after running diagnostics the fist time the spark plugs were misfiring, and second time the EFI valve was stuck open. My spark plugs were replaced after the misfiring, and this my car had 8000K at the time. The car currently has under 9000K.

I also had a problem with the clutch (manual tranny), where the master is on bypass, for which the service dept believes there should be a recall (8500K). If anyone has an issue with the clutch engaging, get it in right away. If it ends up on bypass, and you keep driving it, you'll be replacing your clutch.

I also had a windshield wiper problem, the motor needed replacement(4000K). I thought I had a leaky sunroof(2500K), but it turned out to be that condensation was collecting when i had it open, and then closing it, pooled the condensation to the rubber gasket, which would then leak off. Leak tests proved no leaks.

The dealer I bought the car from offers a $900Cdn ((~$575USD), which covers everything but fuel and tires for their hyundai's, subaru's, and suzuki's. I bought the Service agreement for my 2003 Subaru Forester X, but skipped it for my Hyundai Accent. So far I haven't paid for any repairs. Funny, the forester hasn't had a single service issue.

Even though I have listed a bunch of things here, I am very happy so far with the car. My concern was that without an engine diagnostics tool, I would not have been able to find these problems myself.
  • baberbaber Member Posts: 96
    Just hit 123K on my 99 Accent GL Sedan. The last real problem I had was the O2 sensor died at 112K miles. The auto trans replaced under warranty at 97K is still runnung fine. Car still looks and runs great. The only rust is on the windshield wipers. All I need now is a third set of new tires. Been very happy with this car. The biggest problem has been the Auto trans.

Scott
  • shiloh4337shiloh4337 Member Posts: 2
    I'm due soon for my 60,000 mile maintenance. The list that the dealer provided me states I must have my timing belt changed at a cost of $350. The warranty states that the timing belt is covered under the powertrain warranty so I'm wondering why I have to pay to have it replaced as a part of the maintenance. Is my dealer trying to rip me off??
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    shiloh4337-

DON'T go by what the dealer tells you! I JUST went through this with a friend of mine who brought her Hyundai 300 XG or whatever it's called, in for the 30,000 mile service. I told her to go by the book and not to give the dealer "carte blanche" to do what HE thought should be done for the 30,000 mile check-up. Did she listen to me? NO! $400.00+ dollars later she was complaining. I just laughed. She knows that I know SOMETHING about cars, but she did it her way and paid through the nose!

GO BY THE WARRANTY BOOK!!!!! You don't think the dealer makes money SELLING you the car do you? Unless, of course, you pay those ridiculous DOC fees that so many dealers have PRE-PRINTED on their sales forms! They make mucho $$$$$$ doing things like the above!

fastdriver
  • shiloh4337shiloh4337 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the response. The warranty book lists what is covered but does not say anything about what is required maintenance. My owners manual lists the maintenance and does show an R for timing belt at 60,000 with a note that it is only recommended in California, not required. I live in Pa so I assume that it's required for me. But, of course the book doesn't show any prices so one could think that it will be replaced for free since it's covered under the warranty although I'm not that dumb. If it's a warranted part, do I just demand that they replace it free of charge? It's kind of a catch 22...if I don't replace it and pay for the replacement then they can say my warranty is void even though it's supposed to be a covered item. At closer look, perhaps the Hyundai warranty is not as good as everyone thinks.
    thanks for your advise.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    shiloh4337-

Sorry for the error. I did mean the owner's manual with the maintenance charts. Your best bet would be to go into a Hyundai TH topic here and ask there. Maybe someone there will have a definitive answer for you. I guess if it says that it has to be replaced, it has to be replaced or the warranty will be voided? I see what you mean by the confusion.

Good luck. Wish I could be of more help.

fastdriver
    I just took a peek at Hyundai's website and the maintenance schedule for the Accent. Maybe it's just the way I'm reading it, but it looks like to me that the timing belt is marked with an R* at 60,000 miles or 48 months. R = replace. The footnote reads: FOR CALIFORNIA, THIS MAINTENANCE IS RECOMMENDED, BUT NOT REQUIRED. I'm interpreting this to mean that the CA gets a longer replacement period than the other 49 states.

Why would you need to replace it? Well, it's like any other required replacement part...if you don't do the maintenance, they don't have to cover it under warranty. In other words, if you never replaced the spark plugs and the engine won't start one day, the dealer may not cover you under the warranty.

Finally, you need to research if the Accent's engine is an interference engine. By this I mean if the timing belt breaks and the overhead valves stop moving, will the pistons hit the valves? If the answer is "yes," then a broken timing belt becomes a much larger and more expensive repair issue. Others here will know the answer to that question. If the original belt breaks after 60K miles, I doubt that they will cover the belt or an secondary engine damage. Just my opinion...YMMV.

BTW...I don't think you can demand they do the belt replacement maintenance for free (unless you are getting all your oil changes, filters, etc for free, also). None of those have prices in the owner's literature, either.