Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Accent Hatchbacks

Comments

• Options
    boltguyboltguy Member Posts: 94
    I have dealt with exactly the same issue with my girlfriend's 01 Elantra. It says the timing belt is warranteed for 100,000 miles, yet the maintenance schedule has an R* next to the timing belt at 60K. My 03 Santa Fe's maintenance schedule has been revised to "replace timing belt at 60K" with no extra powertrain warranty on it. We decided to replace it at 60K on her Elantra to avoid any future powertrain warranty issues.

If you can have a knowledgeable, trusted mechanic inspect the timing belt, he/she could give you an estimate as to how long it will last. From what I've read on the internet, later model Hyundais timing belts have lasted around 80-90K. Whether you want to chance that is up to you.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    $350 is well within regular guidelines for the expense of replacing the timing belt. The timing belt is only covered under warranty up to 60k. If it breaks before that, then it would be replaced free of charge under warranty. If it breaks after 60k, its your repair bill. Replacing it as preventative maintenance is just like replacing your fuel filter, air filter, and spark plugs at the recommended intervals. Do you think they should give you those free too? So, to answer your question...No, the dealer isn't trying to rip you off.

As for the warranty holes, look at it this way: How many other companies would have replaced the auto tranny for the guy in message #1117? The warranty isn't perfect but it covers big ticket items that few were willing to cover until just recently. You have to expect to pay for maintenance on your car. Don't get maintenance confused with warranty.
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
  • Options
    dancingsuedancingsue Member Posts: 3
    Hi, It's my first time on the messages boards and my old 89 Mazda just died on me and I am considering a 2002 Hyundai. It's got 25,000miles on the clock and seller is asking just $5,000. It sounds like they are pretty reliable and that manufacturer's warranty is transferable. Is this correct?

Any advice would be much appreciated (I'm a poor grad student so a car that is gonna last for 4-5years without major work is vital right now)
  • Options
    npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    The bumper-to-bumper (5/50k) IS transferrable to you; however the balance of the 10/100k powertrain warranty vaporizes. However, Accents are simple little cars, so they shouldn't cost too much to keep running if something breaks after that. Beyond that...well, who knows? Depends on hwo well the car was cared for.
  • Options
    If the car was well cared for and never wrecked, grab it! $5k for a 2002 car with 25,000 miles is a good deal. The Accent is a very reliable car and the 5 year/60k warranty is fully transferable to you. That should give you some piece of mind while you are in college. I recently drove my old 2000 Accent (sold it to my friend) and it now has 43k and runs just like it did when I bought it new. The only thing it has needed since I sold it at 25k was a new battery at 38k and new front brake pads at 43k. It still feels solid and rattle free. I think the Accent is a great little basic transportation car.
  • Options
    ken127ken127 Member Posts: 5
    I changed the timing belt last week @ 69K along with a tuneup. The car was running fine and getting 39mPG. I've read the previous letters about the timing belt changes. The car started running rough within the first day of leaving the dealer, I brought it back and they said an engine sensor controlling the firing of spark was bad and they changed the spark plug wires (this maybe helped a little). I'm to bring the car back Tuesday to check the belt again but also to put in a $300 sensor. Can the belt be off 1 tooth and still run? I just don't feel good about this whole thing. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    It is possible for the engine to run with the timing belt off slightly. It will run rough and it may have less power. If they are claiming its the coil pack though, that is highly possible. It will cause the engine to run rough too. But definitely make sure the timing is correct.
  • Options
    ken127ken127 Member Posts: 5
    I brought the 02 accenct back to the dealer to have the timing belt checked and a engine sensor put in if needed. I asked at least 3 times to check the belt first. They put the sensor in first and the car still ran rough. They asked what kind of gas I used and I asked them if they checked the belt. The belt wasn't checked and they went back to look at it. It was off 5 TEETH. At 7 teeth there would be engine damage. I still had to discuss the cost of the $300 sensor they put in. They finaly agreed to eat the cost of the sensor and labor. I'm glad the mechanic was honest.
  • Options
    kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    Ken... I have a 2002 Hyundai Accent GL 5spd and its almost 1.75 years old with 47K miles. Aside from changing the oil every 5K miles, I haven't done any maintenance yet. I see you did your timing belt at 69K and a tuneup. Was that the first tuneup or did you have one at an earlier interval? My Accent is still running/starting smooth so I don't feel the need to maintain something that is not a problem at this stage. Thanks.
  • Options
    greg1greg1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm about to buy an 04 Accent. Any warnings? Am I foolish for picking it over the slightly-more expensive but better gas mileage Echo? And lastly, since I am getting a hatchback, do I want one with the rear window wiper or does it not help out that much? (ALso, does anyone in a snowy climate have any takes on how it handles in the snow. Obviously, I'd get snow tires for the winter.)
    Thanks!
    Greg
  • Options
    pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    Your decision depends on how long you intend to keep the car. If you want to drive it until it falls apart, you are probably better off with the ECHO.
    I own a 2001 with now 90k miles and ZERO problems and an average 41.5MPG since new. All of thos with AC and AT.
    The Accent comes with a great warranty but delivers worse mileage and after the warranty expires I trust Toyota a little bit more.

I suggest you test drive both and decide after that and comparing your financing options.

Good luck with whatever car you end up with.
  • Options
    5port5port Member Posts: 395
    greg1

Something Pulgo left out about the Accent :

1) Warranty

5 yrs - 60K Everything

10 yrs - 100K Powertrain

2) Free towing for 5 years

Kinda takes the sting out of "I dont know about the reliability". I've owned a Elantra GT hatch since 01 and would buy an Accent in a heartbeat. Yes, on a hatchback a rear wiper is a BIG plus. One wipe gets the rain/snow off and clears the window. Hyundais generally dont get the high mileage of other makes so you get your money back up front with value.
  • Options
    pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    According to Edmunds TCO -True Cost to Own- the Accent is going to cost roughly $ 6000 more over 5 years, something worth to consider.

In my personal case, I will keep the Echo for at least 300k miles and I do not believe an Accent will survive this kind of mileage for that long, without replacing engine and or transmission.

Just my personal opinion.
  • Options
    The Accent is a great basic car. It's solid and reliable. If I was looking at basic cars today, I would still choose the Accent over the Echo. To me, the Echo doesn't provide much more for its siginificantly higher price.

As for the rear wiper, get the GS model!! You won't be sorry. I bought the base L hatchback back in 2000 and was constantly annoyed by not being able to see out the back window when it was damp, raining or foggy. The rear defroster works rather slowly on this car, so a rear wiper would have come in real handy. You will also enjoy the armrest, cloth on the door panel, clock, and tachometer of the GS model (can't remember if the hatchback is now called GL, but either way, I'm talking about the midline model). Good luck on your buying process and let us know what you get.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    In JD Powers new Initial Quality Study, Accent ranks second in Compact Cars, behind Corolla and ahead of PT Cruiser (?) and Civic, and all others. Not too shabby!

P.S. Hyundai did very well overall, with two other vehicles in the top three for their categories and a great overall score that was actually ahead of nameplates like Toyota and Infiniti:

http://www.jdpower.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2004037
  • Options
    standonnittstandonnitt Member Posts: 2
    It looks positively hideous! I wish Toyota would put their excellent little 1.5 engine in a more attractive package. (Scion??)

The accent, especially in the 3-door GT package, looks sharp and has excellent amenities.

Best Wishes....
  • Options
    baber1baber1 Member Posts: 49
    Everything was fine until the fool ran the stop sign. I hit him with my 99 Accent GL at about 45MPH. Airbags went off and I didnt get a scratch, but my Accent is a total loss. Im going to miss it but tomarrow I take delivery of my new 2004 Elantra. I just couldn't resist the $2000 rebate! I got the car for almost the same I payed for the Accent in 99!! What a deal. They even gave me a new Sonata to drive until my Elantra is ready. I hope the Elantra runs as good as my Accent did. image
  • Options
    Sorry to hear of your Accent's demise! I was hoping you would prove everyone wrong by driving that car to around 200k. But still, I think your Accent proved to be a reliable car, not to mention safe! Good luck on your new Elantra. I hope you keep the Elantra board up to date.
  • Options
    The car was still in great shape. I know it would have made it to 200,000. The air bags worked good. When the bags went off it was like a slap in the face. The passenger bag cracked the windshield. I pick up my new Elantra tomarrow at 9:00 AM. image
  • Options
    Well, I took delivery of my new Elantra gls today. I ende up getting the Elantra because with the $2000 rebate the difference in price between the two cars made the Elantra a better deal. I still think the Accent is the cheapest real car out there. I can also say that my Accent was economical and reliable. It was also safe. The airbags saved me from a bad accident that I walked away from without a scratch. I wish all you guys the best with your Accents. Always wear your belts, you never know when you will need them!!
  • Options
    juliansjulians Member Posts: 42
    I have an 2002 Accent. Auto trans. Has 27,000 miles. Has been perfect, but lately in stop and go...sitting on freeway, it will rev up to 2000 rpms seemingly on its own. Called service guy and he said sounds like throttle body assembly sticking. Does not feel like a sticking, rather a running on its own. He quoted a $ on throttle body of like $180.00...if that is the prob, shouldn't it be under warranty? Maybe it just need its 30,000 service early? He quoted like $380.00 for that service.
  • Options
    Unstable idle speeds are caused by the Throttle position sensor or the idle speed sensor. The throttle body itself is covered under warranty so dont let him get away with quoting you a price. My dealer quoted me $450.00 for the 30K tune-up so $380.00 is a decent figure .
  • Options
    Thanks for the sensor info. Did you spend the $450 on the 30K. I have heard that you can do what you can do (change fluids and such) yourself, then have a shop do the stuff you can't do at home.

It also seems from the sensor stuff, that doing the 30K will not influence the idle sensor or the throttle sensor, as these are not part of the service?
  • Options
    Any idle problems would not be fixed by the 30k service. They would actually need to fix the idle separately as a warranty repair. I would be careful with the 30k service. If you just ask them to do the service, you will end up paying more money for stuff not required in the manual (like a fuel system cleaning). I would just ask them for a quote on how much it costs to do the things required by the manual (spark plug change, flush coolant, auto tranny flush, oil change, replace fuel and air filter). If you know anything about cars, you can do the air filter, coolant flush, and change the spark plugs and oil on your own and save quite a bit of money.
  • Options
    Intonge18 brings up a good point. Tell them to do ONLY what is needed to maintane the warranty and do the rest yourself will save money.They tend to add-on things like injector cleaning. Since I add techron once an oil change thats not needed.

The problem with doing things yourself is having proof it was done. You can also use a licensed mechanic to do the work and have him sign your maten book.
  • Options
    The most important service is to have the automatic trans fluid and filter changed every 30K miles and the timing belt (along with all other belts) every 60K miles. Because I had the trans serviced at the dealer every 30K they didnt give me any trouble when my Auto trans failed at 94K miles. They had to replace it under the warranty. This induction cleaning is a fip off. I had 131,000 miles on my Accent and I NEVER had the induction (injectors) clesned. My car ran perfect up until a careless driver ran a stop sign and totaled it. A lot of the service listed in the owners manual can be done by a private shop that charges less then the dealer. Remember to keep all records and you will be ok under the warranty. My Hyundai dealer was always very good about honoring the warranty. If you have trouble with one Hyundai dealer with service try another, you dont have the same dealer you bought the car from service it.
  • Options
    Have you ever changed Auto trans fluid/filter yourself? The radiator fluid yourself?
  • Options
    It is easy to change the antifreeze. I wouldnt change the auto trans fluid and filter unless you have a good lift. If you do change the auto trans filter yourself make sure you get the fluid from a Hyundai dealer the Hyundai cars take special trans fluid.
  • Options
    Did it! Did the entire 30,000 service in my garage. Cost about $50.00 rather than $400+. The Auto trans has a drain plug and I could only get out about 3 quarts of Hyundai Fluid, but it seems to make a small difference (that method seems to go with the warranty requirements). Coolant was not too tough either. Really everything went very smooth and only took a couple of hours. I did the plugs last as the manual says to let the engine cool so you don't hurt the alum engine...it was still a bit warm, but after two hours, if figured it was not too hot.
  • Options
    The manual has a nice section on do it yourself maintanance. I replaced my plugs with new Bosh platinum plus 4's at 30,000 miles. They were still like new when I replaced them at 60,000. I put anti sieze compound on the sparkplug threads to make them easy to replace. I always put a little gasket sealer on the trans and oil pan drain plug threads when I change oil or trans fluid. This seals the plug and keeps it from comming loose. Dont forget to use Hyundai auto trans fluid. The Hyundai oil filter is a high quality piece too, I always used them with my oil changes. Walmart has some excellent 10w/30 100% synthetic oil for less then $3 a guart that I always used. Dont forget to get a new gasket (washer) for the oil drain plug for every oil change. As long as you take care of your car it should take care of you. Dont forget to keep reciepts for all the parts and fluids you buy and keep a record of do it youself maintanence with the date mileage and description of the work you did. This will keep the Dealer from giving you any trouble with warranty work.
  • Options
    mamajakemamajake Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a 1995 Hyundai Accent for my daughter. I have a friend who is a car salesman and said never to buy a Hyundai - they are nothing but trouble. Any comments?

Thanks!
  • Options
    aldagaldag Member Posts: 81
    This has been a very economical car for the first four years. I had one problem crop up recently with the MAS sensor becoming intermittent, I replaced it myself rather than going back and forth to the dealer to have the check engine light reset only to have it come on again. The original Kumho tires were quite good, I kept one as a spare on a rim I bought, I like to have a full size spare. I replaced some bulbs today, the marker bulbs were out. Engine runs great, manual transmission works well, getting about 40 mpg on the highway and 32-34 MPG around town. The car has clever design features, I like it.
  • Options
    Had a 1992 Excel which was very good. Now have an 2002 Accent which is very good. If you can get the 1995 for very, very cheap...buy it. If not, get one a few years newer, they to are very cheap. If it has been maintiained, it is just as good as any used car in the price range, if not better.
  • Options
    I had 131,000 miles on my 99 Accent sedan when it was totaled in an accident by a careless driver. The only major problem I had with the car was the Automatic transmission failed at 94,000 miles. The trans was replaced for free under the warranty. I didnt get a scratch from the accident because the airbags saved me. Here is a link to my crash photos and a photo of me and my new 2004 Elantra 5 speed.
    http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/boomer5352000/album?.dir=/551a&a- mp;.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.photos- .yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
  • Options
    player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    I recently own a 2003 Hyundai Accent GL 3-Door Hatchback, its been a great little car i bought it in August 2003, and no problems yet. The only thing is that when i bought the car new the car was suppose to have standard Side Airbags and it didnt and the bad thing was i noticed that a week after i bought the car, i went to the dealer and told them and they said that i should've checked the car before i bought it i was very upset and mad because every other 2003 Accent on the lor had the Side Airbags, it really sucked!!, The car is great i really like it, i like the fact that if i turn the car off and leave the lights on while the key is still on the ignition, as soon as i take the key out of the ignition the light go off !! also the auto down drivers window, and the AM/FM CD stereo is really good, kick [non-permissible content removed]!!! the car's great and also i get the good fuel economy specially right now when gas is so high!! The car is real nice i love it!! I paid $12,700 GL Hatchback, i lked the GT but it was $13,500 so that was too high. I have a question i want to install fod lights on my Accent likethe ones on the GT, because the GL have the little hole there to put the fog lights but i havent find any that are similar to the GT one's and Hyundai does not offer them as an accesory, but please if someone could tell me that would be really nice!! Thanx!!
  • Options
    robert4380robert4380 Member Posts: 8
    Could someone please explain to me why the manual transmission Accents get worse gas mileage than the automatic ones? The sticker states only 33 mpg for the manual, while the automatic gets 35. Isn't this backwards from every other car out there? Any ideas? Thanks.
  • Options
    The way I understand is the Automatic has taller final drive gearing then the Manual. The trade off is slower accelleration over a manual trans. Hyundai probably chose the gear ratios in the manual more for performance then for economy there is always a tradeoff with this. Autos are also more efficient now then they have been in tha past. The auto in the Accent is a 4 speed with overdrive and a lockup tourque converter. This is pretty much state of the art as far as automatic transmissions are concerned. I ended up getting a 2004 Elantra sedan with a 5spd manual. I average 29 to 33 MPG. This is about the same as I got with my 99 Accent sedan with an automatic. I got the Elantra over the Accent because of the $2000 rebate, it just was a better deal then the Accent at the time.
  • Options
    lionbearcatlionbearcat Member Posts: 2
    hi all, first i woud like to say how much information i have gotten reading past responses these last couple hours. you have basically clinched the fact that i am going to an Accent. however, i have a few- first time car owner/buyer questions.

1. is there any way to tell by visual inspection how well a used car has been treated in its past life? or at least any visual cues?

2. i was considering 2000 and up years, and was wondering if there are any issues i should be aware of for this time period?

3. any advice for first time car owner would be greatly apperciated-especially in the negotiations part of it.

i guess i am just petrified of car dealers as both my mom and sister have had bad luck with them. my sis especially. i think thats one of the appeals of a used car-i feel there isn't a whole lot of room to muck about in, in the negotiations part of the deal. it either is or isn't.

by the way i want an automatic with a/c. power stuff would be nice but beggars can't be choosers. umm i plan on driving it from florida to virginia 4 times this coming school year. and to ohio once (for thanksgiving break). after that it will probably be an almost exclusively local car.thats one of the other things against buying new- whats a break in period and wouldn't that
    (the long distance trips) hurt a new car? also i am probably going to go to australia for vet school and having a brand new car sit in a garage while i make payments on it for those years would seriously suck. (thought just struck) unless i could get my sis to take over the car when i leave
    but thats all at least 2 years from now, the more i think about it the more i wouldn't mind driving it into the ground. but again i am still leaning on the side of used because i can always get a new one later if i find out how great it is.

okay enough! comments appreciated, hoping to be seriously shopping in a few weeks ( by the way i did LOTS of research on the different cars and this is the last bit to clean up). i am just not a spur of the moment kind of girl when it comes to such big $$$ exchanges. thanks in advance

LBC
  • Options
    There are no known problems with the 2000 up Accents. They are very solid reliable little cars, mainly because they are so basic. I personally would look for a 2001 or 2002 Accent GL since they had the more powerful 1.6 liter engine and they can be bought with relatively low mileage for around $6k. I would go for used in your situation since you get a much better deal and simply need a good car to get you back and forth to college. I would suggest you look for one with less then 30k so that way you know you will be the one doing the major 30k service instead of taking someone else's word that the service has already been done.

It is difficult to tell whether a car was cared for mechanically. A used car can look clean as a whistle and still be a clunker. But with a used car under 30k, there really shouldn't be anything majorly wrong unless it's been wrecked. You should do a carfax report to make sure. As far as negotiations and price goes, you can most surely negotiate under what they are asking. I would look up what a fair price is for the car you are looking at and offer that price. If the dealer balks, say thanks but your price is way too high and walk out. If they want your business, they will run after you and either accept your offer or start negotiating. Stick to the price you know is fair for the car and bring copies of the car's value from edmunds.com and kelleybluebook.com to show you know how much the car should cost. Once they see you are armed with knowledge, they will sell you the car for a fair price. Don't let them try to make you feel bad by saying they aren't making any money on the deal. They won't sell the car unless they make money off it. I won't lie to you and say buying a car is a happy experience. You will more then likely leave the dealer exhausted with a headache. But in the end, when you know you paid a fair price, you will be happy you stuck to your guns. Good luck and let us know what happens!
  • Options
    smalltownsmalltown Member Posts: 75
    I would get a hatchback instead of the sedan, especially if you will be in school. With the back seats down, you can haul a lot of bulky things like a large TV or computer system. If you get one where someone has already done the 30K service, that would be nice.
  • Options
    I believe you will get the remainder of the 5 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty so this should make things easier for you. I put 132,000 miles on my 99 Accent sedan before it was totaled by a careless driver. My car was barely broken in at 30,000 miles. The biggest problem I had was the automatic transmission failed at 94,000 miles even after I did the proper maintanance. I have heard the autonatic transmissions are a weak point in tha Accent this proved to be true in my case. A good indicator on how a car is maintaned is the condition of the interior. The first thing I did when I bought my car was to put seat covers and a leather cover on the steering wheel. Check to see the interior was well cared for this is a good sign the owner cared. Check the tires for even wear. If the tires are more worn up front this means the owner didnt bother to rotate the tires every 7500 miles. If the owner didnt bother to rotate the tires, what else did he/she forget to do? I think a hatchback would be better for you too, I got the sedan because I have a Wife and kid. I hope you find the car for you. Good Luck!!
  • Options
    questionerquestioner Member Posts: 11
    Hi, guys:

I need some opinion on buying a used 02 Accent L hatchback. As you guys know, this is a vary basic car: manual tranny, AC, 53000 miles, tire looks half new. The dealer is firm at price $2650. The car looks good. I am buying this car as a side car and at the same time hoping to learn driving a manual car. I have not tested drive it yet because I don't know how to drive a manual car.

Do you guys think this is a fair price? The dealer doesn't have any maintanence documents of this car(he got it from auction). If for example, the clutch went south before 60K miles, without any service history records, will the dealer cover the clutch under warranty?

Thanks!

-Q
  • Options
    Sounds like an excellent price to me if its in good shape inside and out. However, if the clutch fails, unless the dealer specifically says they cover it under their own warranty, it will be replaced at your expense. The clutch is not covered under the regular 5yr/60k warranty that Hyundai provides. It is only covered for 1yr/12k.
  • Options
    Sounds like a good price to me too. You may have to have the brakes looked at, have the trans gear oil changed and the timing belt would be due at 60K miles. I would buy it. Does this have the SOHC or the DOHC engine? I had the SOHC in my 99, it was bulletproof. I spent 3 hours driving 100 miles a day in my 99 Accent. It made a great commuter car. The 02 is even nicer. Go for it!
  • Options
    Julians. I have the same problem on my 2002 Accent GL 5spd 49K miles. The tachometer has been jumping to 2K rpm most of the time. At first I thought it wasn't a big deal and just pumped the gas to get rid of it. I also didn't mind because it kinda functions as cruise control on the highway. When I'm in 5th gear and the car just sticks at 2k rpm, you have a steady 55mph. =) Any update on your problem? What was the fix? Thanks.
  • Options
    lionbearcatlionbearcat Member Posts: 2
    i appreciate all the information and help you guys gave me. however i do not think i will be getting a hyundai soon. at the time of the previous post, i knew my dad wanted to give me his truck but, since he lives several states from me , and is not very reliable himself, i did not think i would be able to drive the car anytime soon.

unfortunely my dad just passed away the end of last month. which means i have inherited a nice truck that i will try to keep as long as possible. this also kind of comforts me as i heard that to tow anything in the accent was to void its warrenty,since i am getting an apartment this september for school and am driving 5 states away (fl to VA), i think everything has worked out for the best.

thank you all
       LBC
  • Options
    you seem to have the same thing, but my car is auto. In fact,I brought into the shop a week ago (the check engine light had been on as well) and they said it has a sensor in the transmission that works in conjunction with the throttle sensor that is malfunctioning. It seems odd to me that this rpm problem is in the auto trans, we will see. The part was back ordered and should be in any day. I hope to have it installed on Friday. I suppose the manual may have a similar sensor in the trans, but it is also possible that the diagnosis is not correct and I will be back. I will let you know if it actually fixes the problem.

One side note... the dealer says if the check engine light is on there is no cost as under warranty, however (in my case) if the check engine light is off (even if it had been on) and there is nothing wrong, you get the $85.00 bill. Luckily they found something wrong,
  • Options
    My check engine light has gone on a few times in the past but I usually get rid of it by turning the engine off and turning it back on. My idle problem seem to have started after I got an oil change 2 months ago. Stupid me, I just checked the dipstick yesterday and the oil is a lil past the F level. Wonder if this is the cause? Either way, I scheduled for next week to go to the dealer for the first time. I'm doing the 30K scheduled maintenance for $350 even though my car is already past 50K miles.

I told them about the idle problem and a knocking sound when the radiator fan starts. They didn't mention anything about charging me if they don't find anything. If they did, I definitely wouldn't pay and call Hyundai. Its like take the 5 year/60K mile warranty at your own risk... =)