Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent Hatchbacks

Comments

• aldagaldag Member Posts: 81
    Thank you for your comments lngtonge18, regarding the possibility of the 134a refrigerant being associated with the stinking moldy problem in the AC. I hadn't thought of that, and based upon your description of this as being a widespread problem with many types of cars, you could be right. You are also correct that all of my previous AC units were R12. If this is the case, I would have skipped the AC and saved myself $799. If I become sufficiently annoyed, I may rip the unit out of the car and put it in the dumpster.....
  • elantra00elantra00 Member Posts: 225
    Thats a good point about the refridgerant being used in the cars. I never even thought of that. I never really experienced this smell. my father told me when i first started driving to do this because he was an automechanic. I never experienced this in my old car, a 86 toyota corolla. It may be that the elantra is a CFC free unit where my old car uses freon. oh well, this is hardly a big deal. its cold and this is no noticeable strain on the engine. thats whats important here. my jeep cherokee's A/C has a bigger strain on the engine then my elantra. amazing.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    I have owned 38 cars. Of those, 3 didn't run when I bought them and never did until after I sold them to someone who was willing to do the necessary repairs. 3 of them I wrecked. 9 of them I broke all by myself and didn't fix before selling. 2 got reposessed. And 2 I still have. The other 19 cars ran fine when I sold them and I either broke even, made a profit, or traded them in towards another car.

I know what quality is. Having a manufacturer who doesn't fix problems until they cause safety issues, who doesn't even try to fix cosmetic problems, who blames the customer for abuse every time unless it is the most obvious of defects, who buys up other car companies when they need their own financial help, and who tries to sell a $24,000 car when they can't even perfect their $10,000 car is not good in my book. The Hyundais in my price range are either dead or close. It may work for my advantage though. There are literally thousands of dead Excels and Elantras and Sonatas in scrapyards around the Dallas area, maybe I could buy a half a dozen and keep one running long enough to show a profit. But spend the money on a new one just to lose thousands of dollars in depreciation? No way. I'll stick with my "junkers". As to did any of my cars last longer than a month or two? The Metro I owned for 20 months and it ran when I sold it. The 1993 Dynasty I owned for 22 months and it was one of the wrecked cars (insurance paid off all but $2000 of what I owed). The 1992 Dynasty I owned for 15 months and it is still being driven locally by a guy who plans to hit 200K (it had 188K when I sold it in July). Hmm...of course those were the only ones I financed so I had a vested interest in them. The rest were cash except the 1987 New Yorker but my father took over te payments when he wrecked his Celebrity wagon, only to trade it in on the 1995 Century Mom still has today. I am the complete opposite of my parents. They have car payments and they buy new when the payments are done. I am never financing a car so long as I can help it and I don't think buying a car less than five years old is worth it, unless it is a dirt cheap taxi that still runs. Some taxi drivers here in Dallas drive Elantra sedans/wagons and Accent sedans, and their passengers are not comfortable but if they can't afford a $20K Crown Vic they might as well get the cheapest car they can find to save on their gas. I have seen ONE Chevy Metro taxi in town. Boy would I love to buy that when he's done...it's lime green! Oh yeah, two of the cars I bought not to drive, but to tick off picky property-value-minded neighbors...the yellow Chevy Crew Cab (paid $900, sold for $1200) and the black VW Scirocco (got for free, scrapped for $50, and was fun to drive when it was willing to run)

If I run by a Hyundai that I think is worth fixing and/or running for courier you'll be the first to know if it works for me. Excepting Excels which at this point are only good for high school auto body shop projects. Ever seen an Excel made out to be a cop car? Thanks CSCC Auto Tech, that was amusing, and it is now in the hands of campus security to issue parking tickets.
    The silver '94 Excels fleet owned by Airborne Express to do small package deliveries in rural areas where trucks are too heavy. The rear side and back windows are covered in silver vinyl with the Airborne Express logo and like my Metro did and my Aspire does, they have no back seats. My Aspire back seat sits propped up against the closet wall. Four bolts hold it in, that's all.
    thats fine. Just dont come in here and bash Hyundai. That was my response to you when you attacked my car. Retaliation my friend. Don't think when you attack peoples cars in here that you won't be attacked back.

You may have made some profit off it, but insurance costs, repairs, registration, etc. not to mention gas for each car if you owned more then one at one time easily eats up that profit. But if thats what you like to do, thats fine. If it makes you happy, great. Just do not think thats a better idea then buying just one good car. Like I, most people would disagree
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Friends, several posts were scribbled above because they did not adhere to our guidelines for civil and respectful discourse between community members. You must diagree agreeably. Thank you.

carlady/host
  • jersey22jersey22 Member Posts: 1
    I'm just about ready to purchase the 2001
    Accent GS 3DR. hatchback with 5spd. and
    air cond. I have been negotiating with the
    dealer about total price and trade-in. ( You
    probably know the drill, what is the price
    of the car and what is the trade worth ).
    Anyhow, some key facts stand out on this car:
    1. The price is very attractive especially
    with the current rebate $500. In some cases
    ( base model L )the dealer is eating the freight ($435). This model has a MSRP of $9000 but
    after rebate many dealers are selling it for
    $7995 including freight. 2. Great warranty.
  • okie53okie53 Member Posts: 10
    I just bought a '01 Accent L. Drove a couple of GS but didn't think it was worth the extra $750 it would have cost me (checked with 3 dealers).
    I gave $9500 for the car and am tickled pink. I didn't notice any significant difference in power between the L and GS; the only thing I really wish I had was the clock.

During my car shopping, I narrowed the choices down to 3 (I test drove them all); the Saturn SL, the Honda Civic, and the Accent. Not even considering the price, the Accent is at least the equal of the Civic, and is far superior to the Saturn. It easily beat the Saturn in handling, shifting, and acceleration, and edged out the Civic. Fit and finish are as good as the Honda, and again superior to the Saturn. Comfort is outstanding, actually better than the Civic, and it blows the Saturn away.

Pricewise, it was $2500 less than Saturn and $4000 less than Honda.

If the car turns out to be durable, Hyundai is poised to give Honda a run for its money. About time; Hondas have really gotten overpriced.
    My Accent is the less expensive model so it also came without the clock or the rear window wiper. Surprisingly, the radio did not include a clock feature. The radio is of excellent quality, however, and has really strong FM station pulling power, so I can't complain about the missing clock feature. I did purchase an LCD clock from Radio Shack with large characters which I mounted where the optional clock would have gone. The Radio Shack clock has proven to be remarkably accurate. If only there was some way for it to light up in the dark, perhaps I will investigate how that might be done, or maybe someone here might have an idea. I continue to enjoy driving this very economical car, it is fun to drive at 9300 miles.....
  • freakncrxfreakncrx Member Posts: 17
    I'm extremely curious to know what Hyundai owners look for in any brand of new car. When you tested other cars, did any of them have rust? a missing door? a loud grinding sound coming from the engine? Probably not...so all new cars come new then..without these problems? Did they all shine, look great, start up and stay running, right? Gosh, i wonder why they all arent priced the same then. Maybe,....just maybe its the long term durability. People pay more for a car that lasts longer. Personally i dont expect anything more from a new Honda then a new Hyundai. I mean, what could possibly be much different? The true difference that i am willing to pay for is the PROVEN reliability of the Honda. Also the satisfaction of knowing that i dont drive the cheapest car on the road. Another benefit is knowing people want to buy my car when i sell it(resale value). Now calculate that value ratio.
    The most credible person that i have read on here has had his/her Accent for 42K. Finally someone with some miles on his/her car. Unfortunatly that person realizes the inappropriatness of the comments from a few members on this board and doesn't comment much.
    And remember friends, let's all get along. We need to disagree agreeably, thank you.
  • baberbaber Member Posts: 96
    Got 36,000 miles on my Accent and it has been a great car!
    On Internet newsgroups, we call people like "freakencrx" TROLLS. He is posting garbage messages in an attempt to get people riled up. The guy obviously knows not a thing about Hyundai Accents, so why pay any attention at all to what he says. The best policy is just to not respond to anything that "freakencrx" says.

In the meantime, those of us who have Accents (or other Hyundais) can use this forum to share information, both likes and dislikes, about our purchases.

I took my first real road trip in my Accent this weekend; a 450 mile round trip to Atlanta. The car was like a dream; rides great and quiet as a whisper, even at highway speeds. The ride is actually a little softer than what I like but it is ok. Driving in Atlanta rush hour traffic was no problem; the nimble handling and quick acceleration allowed me to maneuver with ease. Going up a 5 mile stretch of 6% grade outside Chattannooga was a breeze. Even though Edmunds doesn't like the 92 horse engine, I was passing everything on the road going up that steep grade in 5th gear and the engine was not laboring at all. Car got over 43 mpg on the trip. Not like driving a Porsche 911 but it was a lot of fun anyway.
    i like having fights with people like freakencrx. i get all pumped up because i know im right. so bring it on!

anyway...

okie53, the accent is an excellent car. i have an elantra, but being a professional valet parking attendant, i was able to drive a few. comfortable, smooth acceleration, solid too. hard to except from a 9k dollar car. i got an elantra because i wanted to get the best car i could in my budget, and that was right on target. but the accent is also an excellent choice for the financial concious buyer. Once i get my BMW M3 :), i will probaly get an accent as my daily driver after my elantra dies, which wont be for awhile. i think i ll get 200k out of my elantra before it quits. and anyone who argues RESALE, dont bug me because i aint ever selling my elantra. it was so cheap to buy, i would just buy another car and keep the elantra as a daily driver till it quits.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I retested the top speed of my '00 Accent L this Thanksgiving weekend. I was able to hit 105 mph before deciding to slow it down since it was 6 am and still dark out. I think its capable of a few more mphs. Not bad for a 92 horse engine pulling 2400 pounds. I have gone 900 miles in the car over the past 4 days. I averaged 37 mpg on one tank even though I was going a steady 80-85 mph and got stuck in dead stop traffic for 45 minutes. The seats kept me comfortable for most of the 6.5 hour drive and the radio has awesome reception. It keeps stations much longer than other radios I have encountered and the sound quality is actually pretty good for such an inexpensive car. The ride is very comfortable and forgiving, but almost too forgiving. The rear shocks tend to float a little when upset by undulations or sudden rises. They need a bit more rebound damping to make the ride near perfect. The fat steering wheel rim really makes a difference on long drives, making your hands feel comfortable and more natural and giving a more solid and in-control feel to the car. In contrast, the new Honda Civic has a terribly thin and rough feeling wheel that feels very uncomfortable and cheap to the hand.
    I talked to my mechanic brother-in-law over the weekend to get his perspective on Hyundai's dependability. He said he really didn't know too much about the newer ones, which strikes me as good because that means he doesn't see them in his shop all the time (unlike the Taurus 3.8, Neon 2.0, and Cavalier 2.2 that blows head gaskets all the time). He did inform me as to what their bad rep was all about. He said the Excel was mechanically durable, but because the engine was a dirty running engine, they added a bunch of vacuum controlled emissions equipment that would get clogged up after about 20,000 miles and cause the engine to run bad. That was the main problem with the car and he also said the electronics weren't designed too well. Overall, it sounds like Hyundai isn't near as bad as everyone seems to think.
    On a side note, I went to the Orlando car show and sat in about a hundred different cars. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that quite a few cars had a cheaper, tinny feel to their doors than my little Hyundai. It still amazes me just how solid they designed the Accent to be.
  • int250int250 Member Posts: 6
    Everyone I knew who bought a Hyundai was happy with it,in fact they bought another new Hyundai for their next new car.
    I think Honda is over rated,a fortune to repair and not nearly as reliable as the Hyundai.
    I am considering an Accent my self but NEVER a Honda !!!
    I enjoyed reading your remarks. I would have to agree about the suspension. It handles very well (better than the Civic I test drove) but is a little soft for me. Perhaps Hyundai will offer a stiffer suspension in the future.

You get impressive gas mileage for the speeds at which you drive. On my commutes, I rarely exceed 65 mph and end up with about 42mpg.

I rode in a friend's brand new $23,000 Buick LeSabre this past weekend and I noticed that the interior quality was about the same as my $9700 Accent. I also couldn't help stopping at the local Honda dealer and reading the sticker price on the basic Civic again - $16,500. I guess I saved almost $7000 and got a better car to boot.

Okie
  • clarkemodeclarkemode Member Posts: 15
    lngtonge18, when did your car start giving you the gas mileage you expected?? I have 3,000 miles on my 2001 accent gs w/auto and i'll be lucky if I get the MOST 32 MPG. I checked on a trip down the NJ turnpike..I was doing about 70MPH with no a/c on and the final trip yielded 300 miles PURE HIGHWAY. I filled up at 320 and it took a little over 10 gallons! I have the 105 HP engine but I am getting bad MPG....Also, everytime I fill up, the pump spills out gasoline! I realized this when my car took 11.5 gallons...I KNOW a car never uses the whole tank's capacity so i found this disturbing...as well as the fact that I paid for gas that was soaking into the soil...Does anyone else have a problem with their gas mileage and/or fuel filling problems???
    It took about 3,000 miles to break in my 99 Accent. Your gas mileage should get better as the engine breaks in. I have the SOHC 92 hp engine in my 99. With the automatic trans I have never gotten less then 30 mpg. I average about 35 mpg on my 100 mile per day commute. The best I have gotten was 39 mpg with mostly hiway driving. The car has been great after 36,000 miles so far. It still looks and runs like new. I leave my transmission in normal mode instead of economy since the trans shifts to 3rd gear a little early in economy mode. I have not noticed a difference in mpg with the trans in normal, and I like the way the car accellerates better when I need it.
    Thanks for the article Senduo!! Its nice to hear a magazine finally giving the credit we all know Hyundai deserves. I'm rather amazed the Accent was rated #1!!! That has to be a first for Hyundai.
    Clarkmode, my Accent seemed to improve slightly in fuel economy around the 6000 mile mark, after I changed the oil for the second time. Most of the improvement has been seen only in the city though. I was at one point getting as low as 24 mpg when using the AC in the city. Now, the lowest I get is right about 27 with AC and all city driving. My highway mileage has stayed pretty consistent since day one, ranging between 35 and 37 while travelling between 75-85 mph. Your mileage should improve a bit in another 3000 miles. Korean cars seem to have a longish break-in period. Keep in mind that your car is only rated at 35 on the highway, so you are not too far off from that number. As to your gas spilling problem, I might be able to help you there. I have never experienced the problem on my car, but I think I know what it is. Kia just announced a recall of over 100,000 Sephias for this exact problem and it is caused by a malfunctioning purge valve that is located in the filler neck. It's job is to keep gas vapors from escaping into the air and polluting it. From your description, it sounds like that valve is your problem. It may be trying to release the vapors as the gas is trying to fill up, thereby forcing the gas to spill back out due to the backpressure. I would take it in to the dealer and have them look at it. Hope that helps. By the way, what is your thoughts on the performance of the new 105 horse engine? Did you test drive the 92 horse engine so you can compare the two? I'm just curious whether the new engine is more refined and has a noticeable power increase.
    lntonge 18, I test drove a couple of GS models with the 105hp before I bought my L. I didn't notice any significant difference in power; that may have been because the engines were not broken in yet. Anyway, the 92hp seemed to accelerate just as well with 3 people in the car as the 105s did with just me. The DOHC is also rated at 1mpg higher on the highway, but mine gets 42 already (with the 5-speed).
    What about smoothness and amount of noise generated? Was there any discernible difference in those areas? Like, did you feel less vibration in the floor at idle or was it quieter when you revved it? I was hoping the 105 horse engine would solve the lack of off-the-line power when using the AC. Most of those things probably wouldn't show up in a quick test drive though. I guess I will just have to see for myself. Is that 42mpg achieved with the AC on or off?? Thats some excellent fuel economy.
    In evaluating the two engines, I noticed no difference in noise, vibration or smoothness. I wasn't using A/C during the test drives.

Except for the defrost setting, I haven't used the A/C yet. The mileage I've been getting is the result of driving between 55-65 mph on the highway; most people drive a lot faster so will get lower mpg figures.

If I could've found a 5-speed GS model in the color I wanted (red), I might have bought it instead of the L. The only things I really miss though are the tach and the clock. Otherwise mine suits me just fine.
    thanks alot for the info on my car....I talked to some other guy on the Hyundai Connection and he said the same thing about the valve in my filler neck! The last time a filled up, I did it myself and the nozzle clicked off at 11 gallons...when I took the nozzle out, I could see the gas was filled up almost all the way till the hole! So it MUST be that valve!
    As for the engines, I test drove the 2000 GL Automatic, the 2001 GS manual, and finally the 2001 GS auto. The 92 HP engine (auto)was DEFINETELY much slower and noiser than the 105 HP (auto). I also test drove the 5 speed 105HP, but i didnt like the fact that I was grinding so much and the engine revs higher in 5th gear (3,300 RPM @ 70MPH) than the automatic OD (2,900 RPM @ 70MPH)I opted for the auto tranny because my commute of 100mi. per day was killing my legs, back, and the road rage was increasing with the manual...So I wanted a car to shift for me, at the time, the MPG were only 2 off form the manual so I thought it was a good idea..but I agree about the lengthy break in...Im at 3,300 miles already. I have to admit, this is a cool car for the money...Im sure I'll like it even more when I get it fixed.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    senduo, your post #296 above has been hidden because it contains a copyright violation. Please post a link to the article you are citing. Thanks!

carlady/host
  • mario12345mario12345 Member Posts: 1
    I have 16k miles on my 2k Accent Hatch 5sp. I never even get close to 40mpg. Recently the mileage dropped to 32mpg. Would anyone be able to come up with an explanation? I live in MidWest, the temperature dropped to ~32 F and a bit lower recently.
    It has also been colder here in Connecticut and my 2000 Accent mileage has likewise dropped. I believe this is due to the extended period of higher idle speeds during engine warmup, which uses more gas. Also, in the morning, I have been letting the car warm up for 3 or 4 minutes before attempting to drive, since the windows are frequently coated with ice and I want some warm air to defrost the windows before driving, and that uses more gas. Living close to the water, just scrapping the ice off of the windows is fruitless without heating the windshield, as the ice on the windshield reforms just as quickly as it is scrapped off. So some extra time is required in the morning before attempting to drive.
    I am requesting some help from those with the 1.5 liter 12 valve engine. Could you guys look at the water temp gauge sensor mounting for me? It is located directly underneath where the top radiator hose goes into the engine. When doing my underhood check after changing the oil, I noticed some odd crusty yellow buildup all around the water temp sensor. It looks exactly like the corrosion that forms on a battery terminal. I have never seen it form anywhere but on a battery. My first thought was a possible slow leak around the sensor, but that wouldn't cause a yellow crust. I find this build-up very odd and was wondering whether anyone else has seen this. Should I be concerned at all? Would appreciate your help. Thanks.
    Purchased a salvaged '97 Accent GS today for $1100, needs a hatch and a windshield and lots of interior work. It's that ugly lavender metallic color and has been well beat up. We'll see how far past its current 95K I can take it. Wish me luck finding parts, the guy said the reason damaged Hyundai's sell so cheap is because of high demand, low supply, and junkyards that overcharge for small parts. He told me he once paid $400 for a used Elantra hood that could have been had for $365 new.

That coolant sensor is of course electric, so any leaks in the area could cause corrosion. A flooded car gets corrosion in every exposed terminal. So if you have even the slightest leak, if it hits a wire, it will cause corrosion. Get yourself a $2 can of battery terminal cleaner and a battery brush and clean that connection up. Then you can wrap it to keep any water out and check it later. If it still corrodes, the leak is from inside the sensor and the sensor may need replaced or resealed.
  • slava1slava1 Member Posts: 5
    I just want to post a progress report about my hatchback 99 Accent. Over the time I owned it, there were a couple of problems: faulty alternator, and whistling noise from the exhaust (faulty exhaust resonator). Both problems were promtly fixed by the dealer under warranty. Overall, I believe, the car is worth every penny, and more. It feels just as well built as a Civic, and I love the lumber support adjustment on the driver's seat. As to 5 grand I saved over buying a Civic, I am happily spending that on travel.
  • carladycarlady Member Posts: 35
    I love happy car owners!

carlady/host
    Got over 37,000 miles on my 99 Accent sedan. It's been a great car so far. Only two problems, a noisy power steering pump and my radio got zapped with a lightning strike. Both problems were fixed under warranty. I spend over 3 hours a day in my Accent and it is quite comfortable for such a small car. The new 2001's are even nicer. I would definitely reccomend this car for anyone who wants a reliable economy car.
    I finally got a chance to take a close look at the water temperature sensor mentioned earlier by lngtonge18. It appears to me that there is a sparing amount of orange stuff which was applied to the thread of the sensor before the sensor was installed. I believe this to be some form of sealant used to prevent leaks from around the threads, like industrial Locktite, or teflon tape, which would be used for the same purpose. Nothing to worry about, in fact, something good, because it means that Hyundai was paying attention to the details...
    I just started my 2001 Accent GS after it hasn't been started in 30 hours... Right after it started, the car emitted "smoke" with a strange smell but went away after a couple of seconds... It was dark out so I dont really know if it had a color to it. I only have 4,500 miles on it...was the smoke "normal" or should I be worried? I am bringing the car in on the 26th to get the brakes fixed and a fuel valve replaced. Should I mention this? I only noticed the smoke this one time.
    Smoke doesn't sound good, smoke might mean oil got into a cylinder somehow. I have nearly 10,000 miles on my 2000 Accent, but I have never seen smoke. Have you done your first oil change yet? I changed the oil at about 3500 miles, and it was a good thing too, because there was noticeable metal particles from the breakin mixed with the oil. The second oil change was devoid of such breakin particles. What is wrong with your brakes? How do you know that you need a fuel valve, what is the symptom? I have been lucky so far, no problems at all, and very economical....
    I did the first oil change at exactly 2,000 miles...I put in pennzoil 5W-30.... I am going to do the second oils change at 5,000 but im trying to decide whether or not to use 5W or 10W. My engines seemes louder when I changed the oil so I am attributing it to the weight of the oil...maybe the thicker oil will quiet the engine a bit... My car jerks and pulsates when I come to a stop indicating warped rotors or drums...I dont stop rough at all so I really dont know why this is happening with only 4,500 miles on the car. This problem began around 1,500 miles and I have been waiting to see if it may go away, but it hasnt, its gotten much worse. My fuel problem has been occurring since the first fill-up. I realized I had a problem when I filled up 11.5 gallons when my gauge was above Empty. When it fills up, the pump doesnt shut off in time and fuel spills out of the neck. I havent been able to "fill" my tank completely...I can only add like $10 worth which is annoying cause I cant check my MPG's. I asked around and several people had the same problem and mentioned the fuel cut valve. So, those are my problems with my BRAND new car. Im starting to dislike Hyundai...
    For some reason my last few posts in here and other topics were lost during the changeover to the new software. I'd like to say that I like the Accent a lot. Except I wrecked it and blew the airbags. But that's OK because nothing was damaged except the left front fender and the bumper cover. The bumper is fine, it is just moved about an inch, and the fender is pushed back far enough to interfere with the door. The lights are all good. I'll continue to drive the car and hopefully the other lady's insurance will cover me some money. The airbag shattered the passenger window but not the driver's window. So I'm out $95 for a window and $2.25 in vacuuming. I also found out although this car was wrecked and rebuilt previously, it was never issued a salvage title. So I now have a clear title Accent. The air works, it drives fine, and once I replace this fender it will be hard to tell it was wrecked. I saw airbags on sale on eBay for $25 each, they're gone now, but I am sure I will see more. The guy I bought it from can activate the airbags cheaply so I'll buy them, take them to him, and save my $400. Whatever I get in insurance will probably go to buy tires, the fender, and the rest to savings. I got an estimate from a body shop at $1360 to repair the car like new, including all the other dents about the car (like the ones on the right rear quarter and hatch), but the way he wrote it it looks like only accident repairs. Might be nice to get it fixed up like new.

I spent some time about the car yesterday. The engine compartment is clean and dry, no leaks around the coolant sensor like lngtnge18 described. I put in an air filter. Fram makes the CA7775 for $12.89 but it is not carried in stock in the majority of auto parts stores. I found a Wix filter for $8.29 at O'Reilly. I'll bet Hyundai charges $15-$20 for the same filter. The filter I removed from the car was a Hyundai filter, very dirty, wonder how long it's been in there...

Before the accident I was having a tough time opening the passenger door from the inside or out. Now the the window is gone, it opens fine! I hope when the new window is installed I can still open the door from inside and out. I'll be tinting it myself ($6) because the rest of the car has cheap tint and I see no reason to spend $30 to tint one window with nice 3M smoke tint when the other windows are bluish-purple.

Before the accident the car ran perfect. It still does, but vibrates a little harder at idle. I'll have to check the motor mounts.

So now I am searching for parts...a passenger door panel in tan with the cloth trim piece and map pocket...a dash vent (center right)...a back cushion for the back seat (60/40 split)...and the plastic thing that holds the passenger visor to the headliner. There are NO Accents at the self-service yards. There are some at the nice yards but they want $150 for the door panel, $100 for the whole back seat (won't sell just the back cushion), and they won't sell me the other parts because they are "too small to waste their time on".
    I have been so pissed at this site because I couldn't post anything. Now, it is finally up and running again!! It's time to catch up on what I was trying to post earlier.

Clarkemode, you have nothing to worry about! The small amount of "smoke" you saw was probably nothing more than water evaporating from inside the tailpipe. When a car sits for long periods of time, water condenses inside the tailpipe. When the hot exhaust air hits the water droplets, it evaporates it. Than, when the hot moisture filled air hits cooler drier air outside, the water condenses to form a white cloud. It is the same effect as when your warm breath hits cold air. That's why you tend to see the cloud more when it is cold out. Seeing as the cloud disappeared rapidly, I'm willing to bet that is all you saw. As for the exhaust smell, exhaust always smells funny when you first start a car. The engine is producing the most emissions at that time and therefore smells strange. The smell goes away once the catalytic converter has warmed up. At any rate, I think you are looking too hard to find problems with your new car. Just relax and enjoy it!!
  • floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    My niece will be returning from England soon after a short-term post grad job. During her senior year I "loaned" her a surplus SC2 company car to drive. She was just so-so in her opinion of that vehicle (I personally think it's just barely OK for what it cost)I had promised her a "new" car upon her return. In your opinions do you think a Hyundai Accent GL H/B would be a improvement over the Saturn ? I really would like to give her a "new" vehicle and from what I've seen of the Accent (have not driven one myself)as to fit and finish,the price, taking into account the level of equipment,makes it look like a real bargain. What do all you OWNERS think ?

Floridian
    but my car is getting worse. Turned 98000 today, noticed more of an oil smell so I checked under the hood and under the car. No leaks. It was still idling so I stood on the gas for a second, revving it to 4000 and back, and nice blue clouds hit the air from the tailpipe. So I've got an oil burner. Well, I changed the oil at 97000 and the dipstick still shows full. Must be valve guides because it also puffs out a cloud at startup. So the valve seals/guides have failed. I'm not concerned because it isn't consuming enough oil to need to add anything but at the 103000 change I'll know if I had to add any. The previous owner leased this car and ran WAY over on his miles, racking up 95238 on a 36000 mile lease. It was repossessed because he could not afford to pay the $8900-some mileage fee (15 cents a mile) nor refinance the gracious $6500 residual, because the bank would not loan him $6500 on a Hyundai with 95K.

I already found this car's replacement. A clean white 1996 Elantra automatic with 75K and some vandalism damage for $2000. I won't repeat the words painted on the car in this family-oriented forum. Funny thing is, it was misspelled.

Hopefully this lady's insurance will not deny my claim. She had the gall to make a claim on my insurance which was promptly denied. So we'll see how much they're willing to pay. I got a $2320 estimate from Hyundai, $1885 from Service King, and the one I'll keep to myself, $1148 from Earl Scheib. I don't think it's worth putting the money in the car. I'll drive it until it won't start, because whether it runs or not, it is worth the same $400 to the junkyard.
    I purchased an Accent L hatchback last month after test driving Hondas and Saturns (BTW
    there is no "GL" hatchback, only the L or the GS). The Saturn I drove was the entry level SL. I
    liked some things about it (particularly the dent-proof side panels) but overall, I felt that the
    Accent was the better vehicle, especially for the price (about $3k more for comparably
    equipped Saturn). The Accent handled and accelerated better, was more comfortable,
    had an unbeatable warranty, and although its highway mileage rating was lower (36 vs. 40
    for the Saturn), I consistently get 40 mpg on the highway. In addition, the Accent is a better
    looking car than the Saturn and has many more available colors. For about $1200-1500 more
    than the L, you can get the GS hatchback with a bigger engine, nicer interior and a few other
    amenities. Either way, you get an excellent vehicle for under $11,000.

Okie
  • floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    okie53: Thanks for your input. Since that posting my niece "thinks" the ZX2 Ford is nice too. They are really dealing on them. $1500 cash back,dealers selling at near invoice also. At present Hyundai has $500 cash back on the Accent but the dealers are not willing to budge too much off the MSRP. I'll just have to go drive both and see which one impresses me and her.

Floridian
    Several dealers in the Dallas-Fort Worth area are advertising the $10,184 MSRP Accent (base hatchback with air and cassette I believe package #1?) for $7,995. Another dealer is asking $8,134, another is advertising the automatic version for $8,934. These prices do not include taxes, but they do include air and cassette and rebates. It seems the $10,184 Accent is the cheapest a dealer is willing to order here. I noticed all the Kia Rios at the dealers were $12,199 or $10,594, there were no $8,495 (sale price $6,995) Rios, although they were advertised. Eckert Hyundai-Suzuki is my favorite local dealer, they don't have much of a parts or service department but they are only 10 minutes away. The guy there had a 1997 GS like mine (but in silver) for $3695; it only had 25K on it. Makes me wonder if I will ever sell mine for a decent price even if I choose to fix it up.

New Accents for $7,995 in stock, New Rios for $6,995 not available and none have been ordered. Wonder why? Maybe because the Accent is a sure seller while the Rios just sit. I don't know.
    The car swallowed two bookcases, a Gateway computer box, and several dozen hangers of clothes helping my fiance move her things over to my apartment. The big moment is only 5 days and 40 minutes away. Not having a back seat back cushion allowed me to fit it all AND close the hatch without breaking anything. And she and I fit up front with plenty of room. I looked at the new Accents and a new car with air for $8,000 would be nice, but I can't afford it. The insurance company representing the lady I hit will probably total it and leave me shopping for another car. I'll buy a Metro before anything else, but if I can't find one, the Accent is higher on my list than Tercels and Aspires. This car is doing OK.
    Hey everyone, I just got back from a very long trip and really wracked up some miles on my '00 Accent, now at 11,100. I put about 2000 miles on her in just one week; most of that mileage was accumulated in just one day (drove from West Palm Beach, Fl to New Orleans). I was very impressed with the front seats. They kept me comfortable even though I was stuck in the car for 12 hours with only short bathroom and food breaks. I couldn't believe how little my back hurt with being stuck in the car for so long. Hyundai did an awesome job designing seats that stay comfortable for hours, at least for small people like me. I never once had to use the lumbar support provided for the driver. However, they could make the headrests a bit softer. They are hard as a rock and not too comfortable to lean your head back on to go to sleep. I also hit a new top speed in my car, 107 mph and it was still accelerating. It felt very stable at that speed and I was not scared at all driving that fast. My mileage fluctuated quite a bit (between 27-34 mpg), mostly due to some strong winds that I encountered and also the long periods driving at a steady 80-90 mph. Anyway, she continues to be solid and trouble free and I remain a very happy customer. I have even gotten numerous compliments from friends on how nice my car looks. Hyundai has made itself a return customer for sure. Driving is believing..........
    I now have about 10,300 miles on the Accent, which means lngtonge18 has pulled ahead of me, at least temporarily :-) We have been having very cold weather in Connecticut. I like the way the car starts after a deep cold soak, it fires up immediately. That is a sign of good design planning. I once had a Toyota Corona that was awful in cold weather, but that was years ago. Anyway, we have had lots of ice and snow here, and so far, the car has handled the slippery conditions well. I have a hill to get up into my parking lot, and we get a lot of ice on the hill. Some cars just won't make it up the hill, but so far, no problems with the Accent. Having the manual shift and clutch helps, too....
  • ken127ken127 Member Posts: 5
    I have 5 spd 2000 accent (16000) which, until the cold weather came was getting 39 mpg. It dropped like a rock to 30 mpg ( I know 30 mpg isn't bad)when it is 15 degrees outside. I love my accent but I did buy it for the gas mileage. Can someone tell me the reason for the large dropoff, I can understand a drop of a few mpg's in winter driving, but 9 mpg seems like alot. I called the local dealer and they never heard of this problem. Please pass along anything you folks know.
    ken127, in answer to your question, I am not an expert, but I have noticed a dropoff in gas mileage with the cold weather we have been having (although not as pronounced as what you observed). I believe the excellent start characteristics and cold running characteristics are obtained by running the mixture rich until the car heats up. This uses more gas and would be more noticeable with short trips with may warm up cycles as opposed to longer trips with fewer warm up cycles. That's my theory anyway. You might just check your temperature gauge to insure that the car heats up fully. A defective thermostat might let the car run cooler than normal, and then the mixture would be richer for a longer period of time, cutting the gas mileage. My Accent temp gauge always goes to the center in about five minutes of running or so...
  • honda719bhonda719b Member Posts: 19
    i know most of you are not concerned with air conditioning this time of the year, but i live in the southwest where it gets to 110 degrees daily in the summer months.
    i was going to buy my wife an echo, but the air conditioner is very weak. it never seems to cool down in the summer.
    does anyone live in the south where it's very hot and humid or where the temperature goes over 100 regularly?
    i'd like some input on the air conditioner in the accent.
    I live in northern Florida where 100 degrees is quite common during the summer, in addition to humidity levels in the 80-100% area. My AC handled those temperatures reasonably well, especially after I got the windows tinted (the base L hatchback does not even come with factory tint). Before the windows were tinted, it had trouble cooling the interior if the trips were less than 10 minutes, and the fan needed to stay at the 4th speed to be adequate at city speeds. After the tint was added, the AC could cool down the interior to the point of it being comfortable at the 3rd fan speed setting when idling and driving in the city. Once highway speeds have been achieved, the AC works perfect with fan speeds at the 1-2 level. Recirculation mode should be used after the initial "sitting in the sun heat" has worn off, as it produces much cooler temperatures than the fresh air setting. Overall, I think my factory AC unit works pretty good; it keeps me plenty comfortable and thats what matters. Just about every newer car nowadays has trouble putting out cold air in 100+ temperatures if all the driving is done in the city. It has to do with the R134a CFC-free refrigerant. However, it should work better for you than for me as dry desert heat is nowhere near as hard on an AC system as a hot AND humid environment. The only way to tell for sure is to go test drive the car in those temperatures before you buy it. Hope my insight helps.