Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent Hatchbacks

Comments

• aldagaldag Member Posts: 81
    Now that my Accent is in its second year, and we are well into the air conditionung season here in Connecticut, I can say that I am much happier with the AC results. Previously, my one complaint about the Accent was the funky smell from the AC. But the smell seems to be greatly diminished this year. I suspect that part of the problem was connected with the outgassing of vapors from the new plastic in the first year. The AC contnues to work strongly and is a very useful feature for this car...
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I have the Hyundai net in my Accent. It is very useful for holding groceries in place. It even keeps 12 packs of Coke from sliding around annoyingly. Just be sure to get the lower connection hooks. All Accents come with the top hooks but only those that came with the net have the lower hooks. I never got them so the bottom of the net swings around a little, but it still stays in place. It's definitely worth the small price for it.
  • snoopy24snoopy24 Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking about exchanging the rear lights on my 97 Accent GLS (hatchback) with the modified ones on the 98 Accent (or is it the '99?). It seems like they are exactly the same size/shape and should fit nicely. It's just the design of the visual lights that differ, instead of the yellow egg shaped directional lights on my '97, they've got a horizontal white directional lights underneath the red break lights. Anyone know if it's possible?

Thanks.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    I was just wondering why the Accent is not listed under Sedans also. There is a four door sedan after all, isn't there?
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    If the size of the lights and the connectors match up, I don't see any reason you couldn't switch the lights.

By connectors, I mean however the lenses are held in place.
  • perry40perry40 Member Posts: 94
    Quick question ... here in Canada I've noticed that the '01 Accent Hatcback has a different nose grille than the Sedan ... the Hatch's is more oval with a "cross" pattern ... the Sedan's is broader, less oval with a more pronounced "eggcrate" pattern ... any reason for this?
  • destro2001destro2001 Member Posts: 15
    I would guess it's because the hatchback is supposed to be sportier than the sedan, and so the grille is sportier too, while the sedan has a Sonata type grille pattern.
    The grille differences are strictly for differentiation purposes. Just like the tailights are different between the sedan and hatch. It is supposed to give them a different personality and look. The hatch is supposed to be sportier and have a more aggressive stance, whereas the sedan is more conservative and upscale.
  • destro2001destro2001 Member Posts: 15
    Anyone know why all of the current Hyundai models (Elantra, Sonata, XG, Tiburon, Santa Fe) are available in silver paint EXCEPT for the Accent? The Silver Mist doesn't look silver at all, more of a whitish grey it seems to me. I wonder if they'll introduce silver sometime in the next couple of years.
  • warzonectxwarzonectx Member Posts: 26
    can the Hyundai Accent go 120. if so post it. and do you like your Hyundai Accents .
    No, the Accent cannot go 120. Mine goes 107mph max with the 92 horse engine. Even with the 105 horse engine, expect its max speed to be 110-112. It only has t-rated tires which would fall apart at 120, so even if it was capable of those speeds it would have a top speed governor. I love my Accent.
  • dbrowdydbrowdy Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking into picking up an Accent as an affordable car until I can save up for something real nice. I would always love more power tho.

I noticed that some people were talking about racing their Accents. What kind of mods can you do to the car that will give it better performance? I'm looking for something relatively cheap and quick like a chip or something.

Also I noticed a sunroof on the picture of the 2-door Accent but I didn't see thatr listed as an option. Anybody knor if they're available?

Thanks,
    D
    The sunroof is offered only on the GSi model sold in Canada. As far as performance, very little is available. There are no chips for this car. The only real enhancements you can do is to the suspension, and even that is limited. You might be able to find some sort of freer-flowing exhaust that would increase power by 5-10 horses.
  • sculdersculder Member Posts: 2
    I have found an automatic, 4 door 1996 Hyundai Accent with 46000 miles on it for $2400, and I have many questions regarding Hyundai. My dad says that Hyundai isn't a good company, and their cars aren't reliable. Is Hyundai a company that you can trust? Are they reliable? Is this a good deal, because I need a cheap car that won't let me down and doesn't need much maintenance. Please tell me about your cars because I don't want to invest in a car that will only make me worse off.
  • boofyboofy Member Posts: 4
    If I were you, I would probably skip the '96 Hyundai and look for something else. This would probably be a good deal if the vehicle was a five speed. I have never heard anything good about their automatic tranny's, even the ones they are putting into the 2001 models. And I'm sure that a new tranny is a very expensive item to replace.
    I've seen a couple of posts in this forum as well that stated that their automatics gave up the ghost much sooner than they should have (Like, before 50,000 miles).
    If you were to buy a used Accent, get a later model with a five speed. They will probably still have a warranty (or you will at least be able to obtain a warranty) and the price should be pretty low since people still believe that Hyundais are not quality cars (even though they have risen in quality the last few years).
  • baberbaber Member Posts: 96
    I have 54,000 miles on my 99 Accent sedan with automatic. I have had no problems at all with the automatic transmission. I had the fluid and filter replaced at 30,000. The car still runs like new. The only real problem I have had with my car was a noisey power steering pump that was replaced under warranty at 23,000 miles. I don't know abou the autos in 96 Accents. Used cars are a problem as you can't tell if the car was taken care of or not.
    I've owned 4 Hyundai's in my life (along with Honda's, Toyota's, Datsun's, AMC, Ford & Dodge) ... and yes I had a 94 Excel whose auto-box was very problematic ... it was replaced twice under warranty, with the last re-built put in being O.K. with no problems at all. We have a 99 Accent auto and an 01 Accent auto ... so far both trannys are working fine. Hyundai has come a long way since they first imported the old rear-drive Ponys and Stellars back in the early 80's. If you are buying a used car for $2400, regardless of make or model, it is likely without warranty and could be trouble ... or not. Have the car checked by a reliable and impartial mechanic ... then make your decision.
  • liljonsonliljonson Member Posts: 109
    their trannys were bad till the 99 models, after that they have been above average. we owned a 89 excel and it had no problems at all till we lost it in an accident with 98K miles on it so not all hyundais were bad back in the day. take a look at it and check out its history and see if this car has been problem free or not.
    and no offense to your dad but he needs to be more open minded since hyundai is at the same level as honda and toyota with cheaper prices.
    Just about reached 16000 miles now with my 2000 Accent with manual transmission. My last two gas refills used a total of 12.1 gallons (combined) for 473 miles, or 39.1 miles per gallon. This was for mostly highway miles with occasional air conditioner use. So I am very satisfied with the economical nature of the car. No problems so far. The car performs well going up the hills on the parkway, even in fifth gear. I like the adjustable seat back which can be set in an almost vertical position, I am very comfortable in this car. One thing remains a mystery to me. There are these small devices on the floor immediately in front of the front seats. The devices appear to be hinged and have a small spring. I cannot imagine what these devices could possibly be for. Anyone have any ideas?....
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Could they be there to anchor the factory custom floor mats?
  • liu18liu18 Member Posts: 2
    I want to buy the Accent GS 2dr hatchback and I have two questions:
    1. What's the difference between 4A and 5M?
    2. How to get the cheapest price?

Thanks!
  • boofyboofy Member Posts: 4
    The difference is 4A means that it is a 4 speed automatic and the 5m is the 5 speed manual.
    Some pointers on getting the best price for your vehicle: Do a lot of research (find out what the base prices are for the vehicle you want, what extras you want on your vehicle, read articles that show you how to get the best price from a dealer, etc.). Edmunds also has an article that would help you to get the lowest price.
    Also--don't let the salesman intimidate you.
    I'm sure someone else has a few other tips they would like to offer as well...
  • hbund216hbund216 Member Posts: 162
    Also try carsdirect.com to get an idea of what you should pay. When I purchased my car I used there price and made my offer blow their price. in the end I beat their price. Good luck
  • okie53okie53 Member Posts: 10
    Just rolled over 25,000 on my '01 Accent L. I use it to commute to work and average about 40mpg on the highway. I couldn't be more pleased with this car; not only does it run and handle well, but people are always telling me what a nice looking little machine it is. My wife borrowed it to go on a cross-country trip and now she doesn't want to give it back.

Aldag, I have devices in front of my front seats; they are hooks to anchor the floor mats.

Okie
  • joecanejoecane Member Posts: 2
    Has anybody had any problems with paint fading? I have 2600 miles on my GS and hood has a lighter color to it in places.The car is silver mist I put a half bra on the hood and thier is two light places where the bra goes but there is also other places where the bra isnt located. cheap paint job? thin paint? Would this be covered under warranty? other than this car is doing good! any input on this subject would be great Thanks
    About those funny hook gadgets in front of the front seats, I suspected they might have something to do with floor mats. But the devices just seemed too complicated for such a simple application. As you might have guessed, I do not have the factory floor mats. I bought some generic ones locally.

About the report of paint discoloration. I would be very cautious about putting plastic objects on the exterior painted surfaces. Plastic can outgas (emit gases) various kinds of gaseous solvents that can interact with paint, particularly fresh paint that might not be fully cured. This could leave marks. Perhaps you might have experienced a stain in a light colored surface from a dark colored plastic left on the surface over time. It can happen.
  • writewomynwritewomyn Member Posts: 1
    AArrrrgggghh! I NEED HELP!!! i want to smash my car to tiny bits, and also wouldn't mind smashing the dealership owner.... here's my trouble...
    '98 automatic accent gs. 36,000 mi. with no warning or problem whatsoever, suddenly the car will not go out of park. the only way i can get it to do so is to use my key to press the "shift lock override" button on the console and start it up in neutral. everytime i put the car in park i have to re-do this whole process. took it to dealership--can't tell what it is, say they have to do diagnostics on it--which could take anywhere from 1-2hours @ $70 an hr. i still have the extended warranty-(5yrs-60K). But, i never received the warranty info in the mail. Now they are telling me that diagnostics are not covered... I was under the impression that they were.... To top it all off, the sales dept of my dealership is giving me the runaround about my warranty info....

my questions to you are:
    1--are diagnostics covered under warranty??
    2--why is this problem happening to a relatively new car that has been kept in very good condition?
    3--if the diagnostics are not covered, are there places to get it done at a cheaper price (in NORTH JERSEY)? There must be--this dealership has tried to overcharge me several times (ie. $80 to clean and adjust rear brakes--a trusted mechanic quoted me at $34 for the same process!)!!

If any of you can help at all.... or have had similar problems... please email me...
    writewoman@yahoo.com
    Thanks!
    -WW
  • bluewindsbluewinds Member Posts: 100
    You can see the Hyundai Accent machines on WRC - Race. It's a movie clip.

http://myhome.naver.com/mildbreeze/menu2.html

• pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Sorry to hear about your vehicle problems. You should try contacting Hyundai through their 800 number, or the customer support at their website to let them know of your situation. In addition, they should be able to give you the details of your warranty. Most likely they'll need your vin number.

In addition, if you're simply dealing with a service advisor at this point, I'd like to suggest that you call back and ask to speak directly to someone higher up (i.e. service manager) to get more specific answers. It does seem unusual that they would not cover the diagnostics on a problem that is under warranty.

At the very least, you may want to bring your car to (or call) another dealership... especially if you've had problems with this particular dealer in the past. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

• gnm555gnm555 Member Posts: 5
    My daughter purchased a 1998 Accent L (dark green, 5-sp, a/c, 36k) this past weekend. The car is basically in good shape and she's happy with it. However, she just noticed a rattling noise from the clutch/trans when the car is in neutral with the clutch out. Press in the clutch and the noise goes away. I believe this is the throw-out bearing. Stopped by the dealer and they said the warranty should cover it, As long as there's no evidence of "massive abuse", whatever that means. I noticed an earlier post about this and wanted to know if this is a common repair and if anything else could be done to keep it from recurring. Is there an underlying cause for this or is it just the t/o bearing?
    The car also has a strong shimmy at 60-65 mph. It tracks fine, doesn't pull. I've noticed a few posts about this, most seem to thinks it's in the tires. Would an alignment help? The front tires are new and if it doesn't get any worse, she'll probably just let it go until it needs two more tires. Any suggestions on replacements?
    Finally the tape deck doesn't work. My oldest daughter bought a '95 Elantra the same day and her tape deck doesn't work either. Is this a problem with Hyundai decks? Can it be easily (cheaply) fixed or is it best to just start saving for CD players?
    Thanks for any ideas.
    I was the one that mentioned a noise from my clutch. My car doesn't rattle though, it just makes a barely audible whirring sound when the car is hot and in neutral. Depressing the clutch does get rid of the noise so I think I just have a low quality throw-out release bearing. It hasn't affected the performance of the car and the noise actually got less with age, to the point I usually don't even notice it anymore. As far as I know, I have been the only one to mention this noise, so I don't think it's a common problem. Either the bearing in her car was just a faulty bearing or the person that owned the car before misused the clutch. The only real things that wear those bearings out are sitting at a light with the car in gear and the clutch depressed, or riding the clutch on hills. Avoid these things, and you shouldn't ever have a problem with the bearing again.
    As for the shimmy, an alignment would be a complete waste of money if the car isn't pulling. Balancing the wheels should cure the problem, or it's possible that she has a bent rim. I would just save the money for a CD player since fixing the tape probably means replacing the whole thing. Hope that answers your questions.
  • gnm555gnm555 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, thanks. If I read you right, you never had the bearing replaced, it just quieted down. I'll listen to the car again and talk to my mechanic before I take it to the dealer. Thanks again.
  • jscojsco Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at the above two cars - any thoughts? We are looking for a commuter vehicle - good gas mileage and reliability. Any advice? Experience with either?
    Thanks -
    jsco
    While the Daewoo Lanos is a fine looking car, the Accent'd probably be a safer bet ... it's been around longer and has a better reputation ... not to mention that Daewoo as a company is going thru some financial difficuly at present.
  • charliefabiancharliefabian Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased a gs, and I am wondering if anyone else has had the door rattle and the seat belt connector squeak. If I put pressure on the door it stops is there anything that I might be able to do to stop this beside taking it to the dealer. The seat belt connector only squeaks when it is connected with the belt hook. Anyone have any ideas about this one too?
    I had the same squeak in my 00 Accent driver side seat belt connector. Just spray the inside of the connector with some WD-40. That got rid of my squeak.
    Today at 5400km (3350 miles), the "Check Engine" light remained lit after the car had been started and did not go out after a few seconds as per "normal". This is the first time this has happened. The car drives fine, with no noticable change in behaviour. Is this something to be concerned about?
    Check to make sure your gas cap is on tight. This seems to be a common cause of the indicator light going on....
  • gila62gila62 Member Posts: 2
    For the past month I have been researching subcompacts for a "freeway" second car to share with three drivers and two passengers - my three year old granddaughter and my daughter's huge chocolate labrador. We were looking for safety,
    (AS,air bags, good impact test results), fuel efficiency (over 35mpg), convenience (power rear view mirrors, doors, locks, fold-down seats and adjustable height seating)and a price at least half as much as we paid for our '98 Senna. After looking at the Civic, New Beetle, Ford Focus, Golf, Accent and Lands Hatch backs, we really fell in love with both the Accent and Lands hatch backs with power packages. We checked Edmund's Town Hall and the safety records and couldn't find one single crash test - and no real discussions of safety. Quite frankly I can't fit easily in and out of the Civic, Beetle or Golf with my oh knees
    (arthritis), and the Ford doesn't have such great mileage. It's absolutely crazy to not have safety information before buying a car- I don't understand why the manufacturers don't do the testing BEFORE they put the vehicles on the market - like they do medicines or cosmetics! Has anyone had a bad accident in an Hyundai Accent or Daewoo Lanos and walked away from it without crushed legs or a penetrated head as the tests claim will happen?
    Gila62
  • gila62gila62 Member Posts: 2
    Just an addition to the above comments- the crash tests finally have come out for both the Accent and the Daewoo. The Accent is 1 1/2 star and the Daewoo 1 star. The Accent was tested with and without the air bags, and the Daewoo without. The car integrity just did not hold up enough to keep the "dummy" occupants from serious injury. Even the Elantra, with all of the airbags, front and side, and pretentioners on the seat belts did poorly as far as the car integrity went. Highest scores were Civic, New Beetle, Focus, Golf and everything under that just "Acceptable".
    Gila62
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    When you rack the driver's seat back and use the terrific height and angle adjuster, the Golf has more usable leg room in the front than anything its size. You should try again. You have also set the bar pretty high. I suggest you look at the Echo. It will meet most of your needs, but like everything else, there are tradeoffs. However, 40 mpgs or so should soothe any other irritations. Pricewise, nothing can beat some of the deals being offered on 01 Elantra GLSs.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    That link shows how to drain the pan but there will be quite a bit of fluid that will remain in the torque converter. To flush this, after you complete everything on the www.diynet.com link disconnect the return line from the transmission cooler to the transmission. This is a rubber hose with a spring clamp. At this point it helps to have two people. I like to use a bucket & mark off quarts on it. With the end of the return line hose in the bucket start the car & fluid will start to run out of this hose. When 1 quart is in the bucket turn off the car & add 1 qt of new fluid through the dipstick. Keep doing this 1 quart at a time until the fluid coming out looks like the fresh new fluid. Reconnect the hose, check the fluid level, & you're done. Also, note that the manual specifies only Hyundai ATF. I seem to remember this stuff is $7 a quart from the dealership. Amsoil's synthetic ATF says it meets the Hyundai specs & is a much much much better fluid for I think $5/quart.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    The Elantra's glitches in the IIHS offset tests were related to a late deploying air bag and seat track problems. In addition there were leg injuries because of a sharp protruding piece of metal. The leg injuries were the only parts of the test which were sub par structurally and the Elantra scored well as far as overall integrity.

Hopefully Hyundai will bring a voluntary recall to handle the other problems, they are easily remediable.
    Curiously, what crash tests are you referring to? The NHTSA and the IIHS have never tested the Lanos. The only test of the current Accent was the side-impact test, in which it achieved 3 stars for the front passenger and 2 stars for the rear, the same exact ratings as the highly rated Saturn sedan. The 95-99 Accent achieved 3 stars for the driver and 4 stars for the front passenger in the head on test. The Euro NCAP has not tested the new Accent yet, but the 98 version got 2 stars overall in the offset and side-impact test and the Lanos got 3 stars. You should expect the 00 and newer Accent to do much better as the old Accent's design dated all the way back to 95. So, anyway, overall the Accent and Lanos both appear to have rather average ratings, not as bad as you made it sound. Just keep in mind, there is no tests out on the current Accent other than side-impact. So you can't judge the car's safety on ratings that simply aren't there.
    Just got my car back from the Service Dept.; a loose wiring connection on the auto-tranny's pulse generator was the cause of the illuminated Check Engine light. Fixed under warranty!
  • jennie5jennie5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there- anyone have any problems before with a squeaky gear shift? It doesn't squeak when it is in gear, just with shifting. It isn't too loud, but it is annoying. For a while the clutch was also squeaking when being pressed, but that has seemed to stop (probably just the bearings). Any ideas would be helpful. (By the way- I have an 98 Accenet GSi, besides the squeaking car is running great at 40k)
  • sopmansopman Member Posts: 46
    Just did the first oil and filter change on my '01 Accent at 4,200. Not to bad, drained the oil from the pan then removed the splash guard to get at the filter easier. Glad I did, the oil gushed out and would have hit the guard and got me in the face. I let some drain out, but I guess not enough.

Checked the air filter. Easy enough to get at, of course that looked brand new.

All an all pretty easy. Use castrol 10w-40 oil and a puralator filter. Also used a new crash washer.
    Have an '01 Elantra and haven't checked my manual since reading your post. I think that 10-40 oil will void the warranty on most new cars. I know that grade can't meet ILSAC-2 standards, and that the new ILSAC-3 standards call for 5w20 (already adopted by Honda and Ford). By memory I think my Elantra calls for 10-30 (new, no oil changes yet), but haven't seen 10-40 as a standard on new cars since the late seventies, or early eighties.
  • sopmansopman Member Posts: 46
    Just looked in my manual and it's calls for 10w-40 or 10w-30. Also called service department said it's all right to use 10w-40.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Also allows 10-40 in the Elantra. Haven't checked my other cars but don't think this is the case. Hyundai's normal oil is 10-30, not 5-30 as in most, or 5-20 as in Focus and Hondas. Believe this is because Hyundai's tolerances are greater than some other cars.

In addition to the Edmunds oil and synthetic oil threads, here's a fairly interesting oil site by someone who looks like he's an oil expert:

http://pub27.bravenet.com/forum/show.php?usernum=2240725418

The host is a big believer in 10-30 synthetic, especially Mobil 1. I've usually used the Wal-Mart house brand myself, which is actually Quaker State dino oil. I try to stay away from Fram filters at all costs, although Wal-Mart usually slips on a Fram filter rather than their house brand--- which is rebranded Champion Labs and far superior, without the cardboard components that Fram is burdened with.

My feeling is that the engine, with regular oil changes, will usually hang together in a modern car--even with dino oil-- until long after the rest of the car is ready for the scrap heap. This does not apply to my Dodge Caravan, however, whose valve guides are smoking at the 100,000 mile mark-- curse of the 3 liter Misubishi engine. Hopefully Hyundai's in-house engines don't suffer from that malady. I think all of the Mitsubishi influences are long gone.