Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent Hatchbacks

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Anyone seen the new 03 Accent GL (GS has been renamed GL) 2 door with GT package? They finally made my dream Accent available in the US!! I checked out the Hyundai website and found out about the GT. It has standard sport-tuned suspension, 14" alloy wheels, fog lights, spoiler, rocker sill extensions, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, and white-faced gauges. You can get it with or without the power package. It's a steal at $495 (895 with power package). I'm curious as to how the sport suspension feels. With it, the Accent may become a nice sporty little hatchback. The only thing the GT package lacks that would have been nice is the sunroof that is offered in Canada. The Accent definitely looks more substantial with the new styling (though I'm not a fan of the new eggcrate grill that looks exactly like the sedan) and the GT package makes it look even better. The new tailights on the 2-door look great. This new sports package may put the Accent back on my list as a possible buy in the next year. I just wish they had offered it to begin with 3 years ago!
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    ... too bad they didn't give it a little more power too. Hard to call it a GT model just because it "looks" GT.
  • mrsvalentinemrsvalentine Member Posts: 4
    I have a 97 accent with almost 100k. All highway miles. Barely any street mileage. I love my little car. BUT...I have a knocking noise from my engine. REALLY LOUD. Don't know what it is. Put some of that silencing thing in there, but no hope. Do I need a new engine? Can anyone help?
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    Hmm, that's not a good sign. I don't think in '97 there was the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty so you are on your own. I would take it to a couple of dealers and have them diagnose what they thought the problem was. Don't take it to just one shop or dealer. Get at least a couple of opinions.

If it is a loud knocking noise then yes, you might need a engine rebuild but you won't know for sure until you get a couple of opinions.
  • n2vswn2vsw Member Posts: 11
  • n2vswn2vsw Member Posts: 11
    With the car at adle and the hood open do you hear the knock? Have someone accelerate the engine slowly. Does the knocking noise speed up as well then seem to disappear? Then it sounds like a rod knock. This is pretty much terminal and wont be long before you spin the bearing. If your considering rebuilding the engine or selling it to someone who will then do it before the bearing self destructs. Once that happens it can get very expensive.
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    I'm just visiting this thread. Being a good son-in-law, I was checking the maintenance schedule that's listed on Edmunds for a 2002 Accent GL 4 door with automatic transmission(my mother-in-law's car). I note that they list automatic transmission service and filter replacement at 3,000, 7,000, etc miles. It seems excessive. I haven't check her owner's manual, but can this possibly be correct? If not, can the moderators bring this to someone's attention? Look forward to hearing from you folks.

Gotta say, for an inexpensive car, it's pretty nice looking, doesn't look like it's too hard to hard on, and seems comfortable. Looks like a good deal!
    Something must be screwy with the Edmunds schedule because the automatic tranny only needs to be serviced every 30k miles per Hyundai's recommendation in their own manual.
    Thanks for that bit of information. That's a lot more reasonable.

MODERATORS: Can you get the schedule fixed?
  • nathan1368nathan1368 Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a used 2001 Accent. The little light on the AC switch is always illuminated regardless of the position of the swicth (pushed in or out). If the blower is on, the light is on. Is this normal? I don't have the owner's manual so I'm not sure and it's too cold to tell if the air conditioner is actually on.

Thanks!
    Nathan, I have no idea about your issue, but you can order a manual from a Hyundai dealership. You might even be able to order it online from Hyundai directly on their website (which is really very good - check out the parts and maintenance sections).
  • wmmillerwmmiller Member Posts: 15
    Whenever you select defrost or defrost/floorboard, the heating system "helpfully" turns on the air conditioner to make the air dryer and more effectively defog the windows. It does that regardless of the A/C switch setting and turns on the A/C LED to remind you.

If you're seeing the A/C LED illuminated on any of the other settings without depressing the A/C switch, something is broken and you should have it checked out.
  • nathan1368nathan1368 Member Posts: 8
    Wow! Thanks for those rapid-fire responses. I should be getting a manual from the used car place any day now (they promised one as part of the deal and I think they'll come through).

Have to check and see if the light is on in the different settings. I bet it isn't. Almost always use defrost and floor, since my Dodge Pickup doesn't give that option, and I love having warm feet AND being able to see.

Thanks again!!
  • homer61388homer61388 Member Posts: 54
    Ok, my daughter is looking for a brand new car. She is 18 and is looking for a relatively cheap car that she can afford and still have some of the nice features such as air, power everything and so on. She doesn't need something big obviously, so a car around the accent's size is probably a good choice. She will definitely need a four door though. This car was the first to strike me as a good buy. But I'm starting to wonder if it is. The 4-door model that I was looking at had power everything, a cd player, and air and rear defroster. However, I was a little concerned that it didn't have Abs. In our wintry weather that would be a wise choice. I'm also a little bit foggy on safety, it has dual airbags but that is standard on ALL cars. Also, the warranty is the best in its class so hopefully all or most headaches are kept under control.

I have never owned a Korean car and this is the first time I have ever looked at one. The price, equipment, and warranty look rather decent. Are there better vehicles out there than this car? Her price limit is 16,000 or 16,500 but a lower price would be better. Any other ideas would be helpful. Thanks.
    I personally think the Accent is a great buy. My 2000 was very reliable and only had 2 warranty repairs in my possession, neither of which left me stranded. It is now owned by my best friend and he has had no problems with it. It has 32k miles. I know a girl at work whose parents bought her an 02 Accent sedan. Overall, she has been happy with it because she hasn't needed any repairs in 12k. Her only complaint were brakes that sometimes squealed, which I never ran into. I don't think you would need to worry about reliability with the Accent. And the warranty coverage is simply awesome!

Safety wise, it does lack ABS, but ABS is a hard option to find in any car in this price range. You could look into the 03 Kia Rio which has the same exact engine and warranty as the Accent since it offers ABS as an option. It will just be very hard to find one with it. The Accent is rated 4 stars out of 5 for both the driver and front passenger in a head-on collision, which is just as good as the 02 Corolla and Echo. In the side-impact, it was rated 3 stars for the driver and 2 for the rear seat, which is about average. So, overall, safety isn't a huge concern in this car, but it is one of the lighter cars on the road which does put it at a bit of a disadvantage.

Other cars to consider in your price range would be the Hyundai Elantra, Mitsubishi Lancer ES, and Suzuki Aerio GS. The Elantra can be had for just a little more money than the Accent and offers more room, more safety features (side airbags and available ABS), and more power. The Lancer is a reliable, safe, well-built car and can be had for about 14k. I own one of these and have had absolutely no problems with it in 17k. The Suzuki Aerio is an excellent value. Very roomy yet small on the outside and the most powerful engine in its class. Also rated the safest small car based on the offset-impact test. I also own one of these (the SX wagon variant) and have been happy with it after 6k. Anyway, I hope this info was helpful. Good luck!
    Having driven 30 years without ABS, I personally wouldn't be that concerned with the lack of ABS. You will simply need to instruct your daughter of the importance of rapidly applying and releasing pressure on the brake pedal in the event of a skid. I don't believe that ABS is the be-all and end-all of safety features. Yeah, it's nice, but not a necessary item.

Driver-training is much more important, and even more important is getting experience in wintry driving. Spend some time on an unplowed parking lot with your daughter after the next snow. She'll need to get the feel of when a car is going to skid, and how to recover from it.
  • winsanwinsan Member Posts: 36
    My Accent's rear brake also sometimes growls or even squeals, especially after I park the car for some hours. I brought it to the dealer and they replaced the rear brake drum. They said there was a problem with the bolt/nut. That was a month ago. Now it starts to growl and squeal again. I'll bring it back to the dealer. So, is it common to have that problem? Thanks a lot.
  • carseeker4carseeker4 Member Posts: 228
    My brother's 02 Accent just had the CEL go on and the engine ran erratically, so he took it to the dealer and they said it was some kind of "pulse generator" - never heard of that part, but its running fine after a 1-day trip to the dealer, repaired under warranty of course. He has about 4500 miles.
  • gitongiton Member Posts: 15
    Well if it was my daughter, she would be in a used Mercury Grand Marquis. Size and weight do have definate safety advantages...

I have a 2000 Hyundai Accent hatchback. Issues: Oxygen sensor failed at 18k miles, but was replaced under warranty. 2 recalls, one related to window wiper motors, and the other was a reinforcement to the A pillars.
    All very minor issues.

Also, just saw a recent buying guide from Consumer Reports, they give the Accent above average reliability!

One caveat, the Accent is in the bottom ten of residual values, so if your daughter changes her mind and sells the car in a year or two, she will lose alot. In fact, why not take advantage of this and buy a 2000 Accent, they are cheap and still have some warranty time left on them.

I don't think getting an Accent is a bad decision, I live in a large urban area, a small car is definately easier to park, maneuver.
    But if I had to do it all over again, I would have bought a larger used car.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    Carseeker4 - I actually experienced that problem too about 2 months ago. I started my car and the check engine light went on with the engine being erratic. I turned off the engine, waited a few seconds and started it again. This time it worked okay and has been working fine since then. I didn't have to bring it to the dealer.
  • carseeker4carseeker4 Member Posts: 228
    ... thanks for the info..I'll remind my brother.
    Man... I am really impressed with my 2002 Accent GL 5spd. I drove from NYC to Boston in about 3 hours going 80+ mph on this small baby. I thought the engine would have a hard time keeping up with the pack but it turned out I was leading the pack. The car is 6 mos and 15K miles btw. I wonder if Hyundai's resale value will ever go up.
  • susansiegelsusansiegel Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I bought a used 99 Accent auto car 2 weeks ago. It failed the motor vehicle inspection twice due to the emission problem (NOx above standard). At the beginning, I thought it's because of poor maintenance. I changed the air filter and oil change. But, it failed again with the same problem.

I will take it to the dealer tomorrow. Although it has warranty, I am afraid it won't cover as warranty only covers the major parts.

I appreciate to have any comment.... "I know nothing about car... " Thanks!
    How many miles does the 99 accent have? I would give a Hyundai dealership a call and find out if the warranty was transferrable. This should be under the powertrain warranty. Did the shop that did the inspection suggest anything? As far as I know, the causes for failing an emission test is due to oil burning, bad muffler, bad catalytic converter or bad spark plugs. Have these been checked? Good luck.
    The oil change wouldn't help you on an emissions problem. The air filter would be a longshot, unless it was truly filthy.

Quite a few things could cause a failed emissions test and some of them won't be that expensive. Could be something as simple as a bad sensor. I think you're on the right track - you need a mechanic to go over the car (does anyone know if the '99's have On-board diagnostics). Good luck.
    Thanks for your comment.
    99'Hyundai Accent's supposed still have 10yrs/10,000 miles warranty. It ran only 40K miles and shouldn't have any big problem. I took it to dealer two days ago. They said they would clear up some parts(???) and charged me a hundred something... it seems like warranty means nothing as they can't tell me exactly the problem.... But more important they wouldn't guarantee it will pass the emission inspection. They really drove me crazy. What can I do if it failed again? Took it back to the dealer again, for what? I blamed them for so irresponsible... The supervisor promised he would follow up. Now, I am still waiting for their call to pick up the car. What a big hussle! I seldom hear any 3-4yrs old car didn't pass the motor vehicle inspection. The inspector in the motor vehicle service center told me that she failed a lot of Hyundai cars so far, most likely is emission problem. For sure, I won't buy any Hyundai car in future....it's my bad feeling...
    Sorry to hear about your dilemma. Try to find out exactly what part they are replacing to see if this is covered. If this dealer doesn't fix the problem, you can try another reputable dealer. Also, you can call "Hyundai Consumer Affairs 1-800-633-5151 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. (PST) Answer questions regarding: Hyundai Motor America and warranty issues" to complain or see what recourse you can take. I just checked www.hyundaiusa.com and they have a section under warranty and emissions and tells you what they cover. For the powertrain warranty, as per Hyundai, "Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5 year / 60,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty." Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    I found a link that might help you out in your emissions problem.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/nr050202.htm

Don't pay anything until you get this resolved. It sounds like the dealer is trying to rip you off.
    Thanks for your great help! I left my car to the dealer for 5 days. Finally, they fixed it! At the very beginning, they said I would be charged for about $200... then I asked them to put what they said in writing, especially what they will work on my car. They seems very cautious and put me to different associates to handle my case. I called the director of service dept and he was more helpful. For the first 4 days, I believe they just tried to cleared up some internal parts and hoped to charge me for maintenance fee. But, perhaps they tried the emission test but kept failed. During the last day the director told me he change the major part, converter. It's under warranty... So, I don't need to pay for anything... I am so glad but I am sure they tried their best not to change the major parts until they had to do.
    Anyway, I will bring it to re-inspect tomorrow. Good luck to me... Ha!Ha! By the way, I think dealer is very sneaky..... be careful and try to ask them put any words in writing. If they refuse, you know their creditability.
    Once again, thanks for all your help. Wish you guys all the best in 2003.
    Good to hear your problem has been resolved. How come the dealer didn't do the inspection for you? Is this in NY state?
  • futureaccentfutureaccent Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    As a past HCivic owner, I have some apprehensions going in for this used 1999accent/58K/2D. A couple of answered questions would certainly help me make a quicker decisions. In some of the messages, I read that the 99's come with 10/100k warranty; the guy who is selling me the car only mentioned an expired 3/30k warranty. Which one is true and can I get the warranty transferred to me once the sale is complete? I plan get the car to a dealer and get a pre-purchase inspection, I hope they do a good job. Any major problem areas with 99 accents that I should look out for? I appreciate you help. Thank you.
    If the Accent was a US model, it came with a 10year/100k powertrain warranty. However, this warranty drops to 5year/60k when it is sold. So the car will have a warranty for 2k after you buy it. The only real troubleprone area for the Accent is its weak automatic tranny. Otherwise, the engines are reliable and the car is built pretty good.
  • futureaccentfutureaccent Member Posts: 2
    Thanks lngtonge18, this is 5-Sp/1.5L.
  • joffficerjoffficer Member Posts: 169
    Hi... I remember seeing an accent GT (1999 perhaps?) What years did they make these, and what was so "GT" about them?
    The GT model was built between 96-98. Earlier GT models had a 1.5 liter DOHC 16 valve 100 hp engine, as well as a sport tuned suspension, lower body cladding, 14" alloy wheels, fog lights, spoiler, and manual pop-up sunroof. Later models had all of the above minus the engine.
  • lukamunlukamun Member Posts: 1
    I have 2001 Accent GS. I recently had to do Valve cleaning done. I have 35,000 miles on it. Have anybody else had to do this?
    Did anyone notice that all 03 Accents built after 1/1/03 have standard side impact airbags?? This is quite impressive for such a cheap car. Of course, the price was raised about $300, but I think it was worth the added safety. Hyundai has just raised the bar in safety for the subcompact market.
  • dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    2001 Accent.... my MIL light was on for a while yesterday. Now it's out. Should I get this checked? Car runs fine.
  • chckeb1chckeb1 Member Posts: 8
    I recently purchased my '03 Accent GT, I noticed the engine is noiser than what I would expect from a NEW car, it's automatic trans seems to not upshift at times if I release the gas the rpms will go from 3 to normal at 60-65 mph anyone eles notice anything like this. also the OD is always on as manual suggest!
    I'm afraid I don't have much insight for your concerns. I have seen other automatic trannys whose rpms drop to idle when the gas pedal is released, even at highway speeds, so it may be normal. The Accent's engine has always been on the noisy side when accelerating, but quiets down when cruising as long as you aren't going over 75. You have to remember it's a small engine so it has to work harder, especially when combined with an automatic.

On another note, I was wondering what your impressions are of the GT? Like, how does the sport suspension handle? Is the ride more controlled than the soft ride of the regular Accent? Do the white gauges light up green at night and are they bright enough? How does the leather wrapped steering wheel look and feel?
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    While I've heard the Accent GT mentioned, I can't find any info on it aside from a late 90's model. I don't see it on Edmunds or HyundaiUSA.com, what is it?
    Thank you for your help I'll just have to get used to the noise, the move down from the Santa Fe does tend to hurt a bit but my pocket feels better when I gas up. My car is ext. Glacier Blue, the int. blue lite matches perfectly with more than enuf lite. In short, turn the key, turn on headlites (hear comes the blue), go a little faster than most on the hi-way, fell the comfortable suspension under your seat,the great dynamics of the steering wheel in your hands and take those curves!!!!!!!! I love it!
    It's a step up from the GL model, extra features include, pin-stripping, 14" alloy wheels, sporty suspension, two tones on steering wheel and shift, and of course the blue dash board lite.
    Go to Hyundai website and "build your own" adding package 4 ( I believe) if not 5, and that will show you the extras. I would have gotten a 5 manual but been there, done that, wanted something different. lol
    So the gauges light up blue?? What about the stereo and HVAC controls?
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Thanks, I'll go check it out.
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    If they're gonna make a GT Accent, they should give it a LITTLE bit more engine. Maybe put VTI in it. And ABS

To be honest, if it had ABS, I'd consider an Accent. They handle pretty decent. With ABS and maybe 4 wheel discs, an Accent GT hatch would be pretty nice. If it had like 10 more horses.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    If you load up an Accent, you can be in Elantra price territory once you negotiate a deal and get the rebate. If a few extra bucks can be handled, the Elantra is a better buy as it gives you a bigger car with more content at almost no mpg penalty. Unless, of course, you must have a hatch and stepping up to the Elantra GT is too much in $$$.
  • dsantiagodsantiago Member Posts: 13
    I saw one on the road and was thinking about one, but is the gt all that sporty, and what can be done about those wheels???

what is the largest size wheels and widest tires that can work without voiding the warranty?
    I'm running 195/50 HR 15 on my 2002 Hyundai Accent GS with no problems. Handles and drives waaay better. The car is a ton of fun for the money.
  • soggydogsoggydog Member Posts: 67
    I'm looking for a 03 4 Door GL Auto with the 3/AC accessory group (with CD player). Just wondering if anyone has been able to get one for invoice or Edmunds TMV, which is around 12,100 before the 1k rebate.