Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 318ti

Comments

• peggstapeggsta Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I'm kinda new around here and need some help please.
    I need to get the right parts before I strip things down to replace. Does anyone know the part numbers or bush name for the rear suspension bushes for 318Ti compact (year -1995).
    I'm only after 1 pair for the (i think it's called) - control arm.
    You can see where the bush fits that I need when you look behind and towards the front of the rear wheel from the side. It is metal sleeved (pressed in) and is slightly smaller than the size of a can of coke. It also sits verticaly in the control arm where it connects to the car chassis. Hope this is enough info.
    If I can get the right bushes then strip things down I know where i can get the old ones pressed out and replaced.
    Any help very much appreciated. :sick:
  • oscarm23oscarm23 Member Posts: 3
    I want to but a 318 ti 1997 manual with 92k, the car is in really good condition but I'm worried about the 92k, can somebody tell me is that too much mileage for this car.The price is $7000
    Thanks.
    I want to buy a 318 ti 1997 manual with 92k, the car is in really good condition but I'm worried about the 92k, can somebody tell me is that too much mileage for this car.The price is $7000.
    Thanks.
  • potemkinpotemkin Member Posts: 195
    Don't know the numbers, but I know where to get them...

Get the last seven characters of your VIN and go here:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw

Hope this helps.
  • bjulsonbjulson Member Posts: 2
    I own a '96 Ti with 95,000 miles on it and it runs pretty much like it did when I bought it with 40,000 miles. The M44 engine may be a bit underpowered at 138 hp, but it's one of BMW's workhorses, (same basic engine they use in the Mini) and if you get one with a 5 spd, it's actually a great little driver because the car is balanced so well (50/50 weight distribution). Just be sure the service has been done regularly, and get a carfax on it. Have the plugs pulled and inspected for any abnormal wear.
    The price sounds fair.
    Thanks, for your answer. I finally bought the car and I took it to a mechanic, he said that the car look like new. All the services has been done regularly.
    Thanks.
  • racer_chicracer_chic Member Posts: 2
    Hello there ! i am looking to purchase a BMW ti -- either a 96, 97 or 98 and i was wondering if someone could tell me some ways to tell if its got the sports package and any other helpful hints....i would like to get this ready for the track some day, but all and all just want a fun sports car and my ex-guy had a 96 ti and i loved it...

so any and all help would be great...or if anyone has any web sites i can go to to learn how to tell the body styles apart and all that that would be great...

also, is 140,000 or 160,000 miles on them ok...? how long will they last if taken care of...?

thank you very much ....
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    I can't help you with a lot... someone that knows more about the ti will be along to give you some good advice...

But... If you are looking at 7-9 year old cars... I'd want a car with 120K miles or less... and, preferably under 100K...

The cars can last a long time, but 140K-160K cars have been driven a lot.. I'd want some of those extra miles for myself...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• racer_chicracer_chic Member Posts: 2
    thanks -- that is a great point about keeping those extra miles to myself... :-)

have a good weekend...
  • marcusgfunkmarcusgfunk Member Posts: 1
    found a '98 318ti w/ 45,000 miles for 11k...seems to have only minor cosmetic issues.
    is this a good price??????
  • mcattmcatt Member Posts: 9
    I have a 1996 ti that pops violently out of first gear if not shifted into first before car comes to a complete stop. While I don't know how common of a problem this was/is, obviously not unique as BMW issued a service advisory several years ago, said fix was to replace transmission ($3,000 kind-sorta).

My question is has anyone come up w/ a less expensive fix? Now that a 318ti sells for around $6k, doesn't make great sense to replace tranny but by same token hard to sell a car w/ major problem like this! Regardless, wonder if anyone had same prob and what, if any, options are.
  • beemerbudbeemerbud Member Posts: 1
    I recently "inherited" a '98 318ti with only 28,500 miles on it. I love it. But since it's out of warranty, and the prepaid maintenance period has expired, I took it to Jiffy Lube for an oil change per my mother-in-law's instructions. Technically, she still owns the car. Hint of advice...I had to buy the oil and air filters from an auto part store and then take everything to Jiffy Lube for the actual oil change. Unfortunately, no one seems to know how to reset the service indicator lights on the dash. Can anyone help me with that? I'm trying to avoid taking it to the dealership for something as simple as that, and the owner's manual says nothing about how to reset the indicators (except, of course, to take it to a BMW retailer for all maintenance service).

Any help would be great.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    I've got a 325 and have experienced the same issue. From what I learned, it requires a special tool, which quick lube and independent garages generally don't have. Only BMW dealers and garages that specialize in BMWs have the required tool. If anyone knows otherwise I'd be interested in your input, because it's an inconvenience. I just waited until I needed some service work, and asked the garage that specializes in BMWs and Mercedes that I use to reset the indicator light. It took them just a few seconds, but who needs that?
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    Look in the problems and solutions forum. I'm pretty sure the reset procedure is listed there. it can be done using a combo of the reset button (by the gauges) and the ignition key.
  • nat51nat51 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I recently purchased a 95 bmw 318ti compact, and 2 days ago when I picked it up it was fine, now when i start up (every time) it makes a clunk when the engine has fired and running. Does anyone know what this might be? any help would be appreciated thankyou.
    Could it be transmission related? If it's an automatic, does it do it while the car is in park or just after you shift into gear?
    Yeah it is automatic, And I think it might be transmission related but it only does it when the car is still in park and only as soon as the engine starts (without touching anything but the key) not shifting into drive or anything.
    Sounds like the problem might be in the torque converter, but I'm not a mechanic and I've never owned a car with one so my diagnosis isn't worth much. You might want to consult with a dealer's service department and see if they know. Usually problem noises are common to a particular model and they'll have experience dealing with such things.

Hope everything works out for you.
    Thanks for the advice mate, does sound like you know what your talking about, I will take it to find out more, It does make sense to be the torque converter I don't know why I didnt think about that. Thanks again.
    Regards
  • nasmhohanasmhoha Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem and have learned to live with it. Put in first,not up a grade. Then let the clutch out easy.Don't hold it in gear. I did this for 5 of the 10 years I've owned the car years. It would pop out of gear about 1 out of 20 times. However since I like the car,I now plan to look for a used trans.(Any one know of any? )If I can't find one from a ti,It might be a good excuse to swap in a 2.5 or M3 with a suitable trans. That would rectify any resale issue.
  • sphsph Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 99 318ti,82k miles.The manual transmission will pop out of 3rd gear when down shifting or cruising in slow traffic,does fine when the car is running at a speed above 35 mph.Is this going to lead to an expensive repair down the road? I can live with it for now.
  • bmnvabmnva Member Posts: 1
    I have a 318ti (150k) that has run and continues to run extremely well except in the rain. From moderate to heavy rain the RPMs will drop and there will be no response to acceleration. It will plod along at 30-40 mph. Then it will respond and take off, only to repeat the cycle moments later. I had the exact same problem with a previous car, '86 325. They replaced the coil but that never really helped. I eventually sold it. Has anyone else ever had this problem with a BMW. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • 318ti_za318ti_za Member Posts: 1
    hi,

Just picked up my 2002 E46 318ti StepTronic from the dealer yesterday, and read through the user manual. When I start the car, the EML light comes on and goes away after 5 seconds (all the other lights go off immediately after starting the car). There's no funny noises from the bonnet or any other lights on the dash. Any idea what this could be and is it easy to fix ? ($$$ ?)

BMW newbie that's really scared
  • jvcassimusjvcassimus Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 318ti manual 5 speed, It continues to pop out of first gear, my understanding is that this was because of a manufacturing defect of these transmissions. Last night we were finally rear ended due to this problem, I know that this problem was wide spread with this model,has anyone ever pursued this problem with BMW of North America? Because the dealers don't care and I really don't want to spend $3000 for a new tranny. HELP
  • koimankoiman Member Posts: 12
    I test drove a 95 but it was a dog no low end torque once up to speed it was okay though. To me the 318 is like a 230 mercedes why bother.
  • bmwlover1bmwlover1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I m getting a used BMW Ti 95 model automatic(109783 miles) sports package sunroof black on black with a 10 cd changer and great condition overall for 4000$. Someone in my office is selling it. I drove it and ran just fine.
    I m looking to sell my Mitsubishi Galant 94(sports ls model) and buy the BMW, though my Galant is a 4 door and very very cool car(with sunroof et all).
    Would this be a wise decision? Just want to get that BMW feeling. Though the car is compact, yet has that remarkable style...the only thing i feel its slightly underpowered, after driving my galant (168 hp, 2.4 L)
    what should i check for before going in for purchase?
    Any suggestions,,,,plz help as i am planning to purchase this sunday.
    Thanks in advance,
    -Ash.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Have the car checked out by a BMW mechanic. He (or she) will let you know if it is a good car to buy. Is the car you're buying stick or automatic?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• bmwlover1bmwlover1 Member Posts: 2
    its an automatic...
  • chucky_doggchucky_dogg Member Posts: 2
    I have a 318ti and I have experienced some overheating. A mechanic told me that my electric a/c condenser fan does not turn on all the time when it should. I am going to replace it, but I understand there is a metal fan blade I could install that runs on the belt drive? Does this replace the electric fan?
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    From around 10/95 on the ONLY fan fitted to the ti was an electric fan which is mounted behind the radiator. There are temperature switches and a resistor pack which can also be at fault. Does the fan run when it is connected to a 12V power source? If so, the fan is good- a switch or resistor is the problem. If the fan motor is truly dead, you can replace it yourself in about five minutes. The only tool needed is a 10mm combination wrench or socket.
  • chucky_doggchucky_dogg Member Posts: 2
    I was told by a mechanic that it takes 2 hours to replace the electric cooling fan between the radiator and engine. Then, I was told by div2 that it I could replace it myself in 5 minutes. Who is correct? I don't really want to pay for two extra hours of labor if I can replace it in a matter of minutes. Thanks.
    Well, you obviously can't figure it out for yourself, and you don't believe me-so go ahead and pay the guy for two hours labor.
  • jimbo409jimbo409 Member Posts: 18
    You can get a peal tool and reset it yourself. Only takes a few minutes.
  • mrbimmermrbimmer Member Posts: 5
    In case you haven't done anything, i just want to let you in on something. BMW reprogamed the ECU systems in 96 or 97 models onward, giving it substantially more power. As far as reliability goes you cannot beat a bmw 4 cylinder, im running up on 120,000 on mine and have seen ones that have more than 200,000. The 4 cylinder is unshakable. The only thing that has every happened was that the bushings in the door of the window went out, as happens on many BMWs, however i just bent them back into place and everything is great!
    Overall it is the best car I have ever owned or will hope to again.
  • jurrrjurrr Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if I could get an opinion from anyone on buying a 318ti. Right now I have a 2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor and although it is fun to drive and I love it, I have recently been reading some horror stories on them breaking down. When I bought the car it still had warrenty etc.. but now that has run out. I would really like to buy a 318ti but is there really that much of a difference in parts etc. b/t the two cars? Should I just keep the benz? Any opinions would be greatly appriciated.
    First off, disregard 99% of the anti-ti posts. Most of the authors of the negative posts haven't even driven one- and those few that have aren't experts by any definition. I'm the original owner of a 1995 Club Sport and after over 100K miles and several track days my maintenance and repair costs have averaged @$40/month. I've found BMW parts prices to be quite reasonable. In addition, most all of the maintenance(oil changes, brakes, plugs, and filters) are simple DIY procedures. I would strongly suggest that you find a manual car; the four cylinder engine thrives on high rpms. As for keeping the Benz, I can't help you there; my Mercedes experience is very limited.
  • 2xright2xright Member Posts: 1
    HI,
    I recently found a 1999 318ti Sport(10/98 manuf.date)for about 11k on cars.com - it was, in MY opinion, a decent deal, it only had 30k miles. My last BMW (several yrs and vehicles ago) was a 2001 325ci (new, Made to order) Had to sell :-( but then HAD to get another BMW after a string of unsatisfying vehicles.

I have found this car quite a surprise (I did have the 2001 325ci for about 4+ yrs so I had much fun and miles)- It has the handling of my CI but the power just isn't comparable. BUT I would not say that's a bad thing - I'm getting 28mi/gal on 87 octane and the car is lighter than the CI so it's actually a bit more nimble.
    Holds the road well, small enough to get good parking and above all It's a fun car AND a keeper.

(BTW: CI was manual - TI is auto :-( )
    good luck!
    rick
    Wow!
    I didn't know it was physically possible to get one with only 30k on it, good for you!
    If you are in the market for a bimmer any time soon, i advise you join the BMW CCA(Car Club of America) if anything goes wrong and it's certified, I think you get $, which is always nice. And the people at the BMWCCA baby their bimmers, so your car is almost always in good hands.
    If you ever desire more power out of you 318ti, or as i call em "specs", you can buy a downing atlanta supercharger, it wont blow you away, in terms of noticing speed, but after a while you realize how fast it really is. I don't have one though, because something in me wants to keep it stock, and I might as well wait for the engine to blow rather than put a supercharger in it. Because then, i might be able to put in an e36 m3 engine in it.......... :D
  • carver2carver2 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in purchasing a 1995 318ti. Seller is asking $7,000 but Edmunds and Kelley both list price for this year and model at $4,000. Any ideas why seller would be asking so much? Also, any mechanical problems with this year and model I should be aware of before buying?

thanks.
    Seller is asking $7,000 but Edmunds and Kelley both list price for this year and model at $4,000. Any ideas why seller would be asking so much?

Perhaps mileage? Condition? Full service history? Edmunds and KBB values are estimates- nothing more. In the end, that ti is simply worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Also, any mechanical problems with this year and model I should be aware of before buying?

I'm the original owner of a 1995 318ti Club Sport(one of @300 built). At 11 years and 105,000 miles my ti has needed the following non-scheduled maintenance:
    O2 sensor(recall)
    both fuel sending units(warranty)
    alarm module(warranty)
    2 sets of front brake pads
    1 set of rear brake pads
    1 set of brake rotors
    2 serpentine belts(replaced as a precaution)
    2 idler pulleys
    1 timing chain tensioner(replaced as a precaution)
    3 sets of W or Z rated tires
    1 battery(replaced at ten years, one month)
    4 sets of wiper blades
    5 exterior bulbs
    The car has seen more than a few drivers schools and autocrosses and is driven in every kind of weather except ice and snow. It's a rare drive when I don't wind it to the redline at least three or more times. No other car I've owned comes close to the reliability of my Club Sport. In fact, I wouldn't sell my ti for less than $10,000. And if nobody is willing to pay that price, so what? I'll just drive it another 11 years...
    I have to agree with the other blogger who previously answered your question. I have a 1997 318ti premium package model. I wouldn't even take $8,000. My only caution would be to make sure you know who's selling it. Around 120,000 miles most ti's might need a clutch, but within 40,000 miles. But that really is it. The exhaust is stainless steel, i use that as an example as to the quality of the car. I am not sure, maybe you could get a re-map, because i have heard that from either 1996 or 1997 onward the engines use a different ECU that drastically improves performance. However I am not totally sure. I've seen well taken maintained TI's run past 238,000 miles, so I think in any case it is a safe bet as long as you know its history. TI's are excellent cars that would make you question why people didn't buy them, they get 30+ mpg, are RWD, sound good, drive good, and aren't fast enough to get you in trouble with the law.
    I am not sure, maybe you could get a re-map, because i have heard that from either 1996 or 1997 onward the engines use a different ECU that drastically improves performance.

In 1996 BMW switched from the 1.8 liter M42 engine to the 1.9 M44. At the same time OBD II was implemented. While a dead stock M44 has a very slight edge in power, a Conforti chipped M42 will have a 10-15 hp advantage. In any event, the only way to make significant power is to either build a stroker engine(see: Metric Mechanic) or fit a Downing Atlanta supercharger..
  • 318tigirl318tigirl Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to thank you. I have 117,000 miles on my 1997 318TI Compact. I have had to replace a few things and spend a few dollars more than I want, but I think it is the best car I have ever had. I keep hearing about timing belts or timing chains needing replacing. This has never happened so far. Has it happened to you?
  • kenneth813kenneth813 Member Posts: 38
    Hi, I got a 1997 318TI AT which is over 11K miles and I just found out the timing belt has to replace A.S.A.P.
    I am wondering if anyone can suggest a specialist or repair shop in Los Angeles which can do the job. I do not want go back to BMW because I have many bad experience with them before. Thanks.
  • flygirlnzflygirlnz Member Posts: 2
    I have just purchased a yr 2000 BMW 318ti.

It did not have a manual with it and I wonder how I would go about finding one on the net. Anyone have any suggestions????

Flygirlnz :D
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I have just purchased a yr 2000 BMW 318ti.

The last model year for the US 318ti was 1999. Where are you located?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• flygirlnzflygirlnz Member Posts: 2
    I live in New Zealand, but it is a Japenese import.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I'd advise checking with you local BMW dealer as well as eBay. You should be able to find a manual at one or the other.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• mind412mind412 Member Posts: 1
    As I recall it is a timing chain.....better do some digging before
    having any work done.
  • unseenunseen Member Posts: 1
    just got a new head gastet installed and now wont fire up was fine before the operation any suggestions short of blowing it up with a stick of tnt :mad:
This discussion has been closed.