Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Swift

tim87tim87 Member Posts: 1
About to buy a car. Going to college. Just need
a realiable set of wheels cheap! I think the
Chevy Metro is to expensive. Any comments from
someone who's owned a chevy metro or suzuki
swift would be great!! Is it fun to drive?
Is it to cramped. I know just by looking at it
it's small. I like it's style and price.
Thanx alot!!!

Comments

• occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    I have been driving a 1995 Metro for awhile. It has the 4-cylinder and automatic. If I were looking at Metros again I would keep this bulletproof 4-cylinder and buy the stick. The automatic gets bad mileage: 30 city/34 highway. At least I get 32-34 all the time because I am a courier.

My main problems have been the alternator (went through 6 before replacing a fuse and a battery cable) and the AC, which is on its 3rd compressor but still works. I also go through a lot of tires but that is because of some accident damage underneath to the right side lower control arm. One $15 used tire a month is cheaper than 2 years' worth of repairs!

If you are looking to buy a Metro, you might be much happier buying a 1995 or 1996 model, which is the same body and equipment but is a Geo not a Chevrolet. You can buy a 1995-1997 model for about $2500-$4000, of course it will cost more at a dealer. For example, if you live in Pittsburgh, there was a white 1997 5-speed with 27K in the Post-Gazette Saturday for $4000. Here in Columbus I will sell you my 1995 LSi automatic with 101K for $2500.

If you go to a public auction, you might do like I almost did and get a basic high mileage 1995 Metro for $1500. If you like I can keep my eye out for you. There are a lot of these around for sale, and people will dump them at cheap prices. They are darned good cars, but they have NO status, and they are VERY small and cheap looking. At least they are not cheaply made.

Good luck finding a Metro, I'll keep you posted as to what I see.

In thinking about it I know another 1995 LSi hatchback automatic in Hilliard, Ohio (near west side Columbus) for $3995 at a dealer. I think it has 30-some-K miles on it. It is white and it is at Hilliard Car Company.

Also know of a 1997 Metro 3-cylinder, 5-speed, no AC, no radio, green, 17K, for $3990 at College Car Company on High St. in Columbus.
  • rollerfunkrollerfunk Member Posts: 15
    Try to get a Swift GTi and 101 HP,...if the engine is in good shape you'll have some fun.
    Try with the Honda CRX Si (88-91 and 108 HP) too, this is an excellent car, fun, reliable, fast and great on gas.
  • easyrider2easyrider2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a new vehicle to tow behind my RV. I don't have a lot of gross wt. margin; therefore, the new vehicle must be relatively light, and the Swift seems to fill that requirement. I want a hatch back, and manual trans. (for tow purposes).
    anyone out there have any info/experiences with the Swift used as a tow vehicle?
  • kenneth12kenneth12 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me if the 2000 Swift's bodyside panels are galvanized like the 2000 Chevy Metro's are supposed to be? And how about the paint, is it as good and does it have clearcoat also? And finally, are there any other differences between the two cars, other than what edmunds.com and the like have to say?
    Here's another question - I live in Nebraska where the summers are pretty hot, 90 degrees or more on average. Do I need A/C, or is the ventilation pretty good? I used to drive a Ford Maverick which had the swing-open wing type windows in the back and the ventilation was great. Does anyone make a wing-window accessory for the Swift rear windows?
    Only the 1989-1994 Swifts had flip-out quarter windows. The trick with the newer models is put the driver's window down halfway and the passenger's window down all the way. That's great for one, but if you have more than two people in the car A/C is the way to go. A Suzuki or Chevy dealer can install A/C in your car for about $1200. They'll tell you it costs more than that, but remind them the factory option was $699, where does the other $500 go? That's their labor charges...and $500 is more than enough. Or trade me. I have a 1995 Metro LSi hatchback, automatic, air, and 106K. All I want is $2500 to pay it off.
    sounds like it's a pitcher's car...

This is a new feature for 2000 on Metros and Swifts. Suzuki doesn't advertise it. The problem is the extra weight lowers mileage 2-3mpg across the board. 1999 models (1.3L/5-speed) got 39/43, the 2000's get 36/42. Automatics stayed the same, though. I wonder if they changed the gearing, too. Hey, the Swifts you are looking at, do they have hatch releases? You couldn't get those on Metro hatchbacks after 1996 and I am considering a sedan so I can get it.
    The hatch release is something I didn't check out specifically, but I don't recall there being one.
    The 1997-2000 Metro sedans offer an optional trunk release, and the hatchbacks use the same latch, but the cable for the release is gone. I guess they are cutting costs, but how much does it save? They put it in before the carpet so it should be a piece of cake...dunno...
  • lorbeertlclorbeertlc Member Posts: 38
    Man,
    Check this site out!
    http://www.suzuki.co.uk/swift/index.htm

Go see the limited edition "SKY" model (blue).
    Check out all the equipment it comes with.
    It's got power everything!
    Sure makes you feel empty on the one's shipped to
    the U.S.
  • fastgti1fastgti1 Member Posts: 3
    Go to www.swiftgti.cjb.net

For the ultimate swifts!
    Lot's of pics.
  • wilmatwilmat Member Posts: 1
    Sad to say, I just traded-in my old "pocket-rocket" as it was called back in 91. I bought it brand new off the show room floor with 11 miles on it. Believe me, the nickname was EXTREMELY appropriate. My friends of course teased me about the size ("where's the rest of the car, on lay-a-way?!?!"), but when it came time to hit the highway, it came off the ramp and merged into traffic at a cool, steady, 65 mph!! POWERFUL!! In addition, my 6'7 friends had nothing to complain about in regards to leg room - no their knees were not at their chests, but comfortably stretched out.

Anyway, 9 years and 147,000 later, the ONLY replacement maintenance I have had to do was general; tires, cv boots, battery, brakes, windshield, exhaust/muffler (it's all one piece), and timing belt. I spent virtually NOTHING in maintenance costs.

At trade-in the ORIGINAL transmission and clutch was starting to slip, I needed new fuel lines, fuel injector and a new timing belt, BUT that was after 9 years and 147,000 miles!!

Can't really comment on the new Suzuki's - I understand they are just not as reliable, but my little "pocket rocket" took me from A to B virtually on pocket change!! Oh yeah, I traded it in for a Honda Accord; a little bigger and supposedly just as reliable.
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    Does anyone know if you can put the Suzuki 1.6L engine in a Swift/Metro? I'm thinking that they probably have the same block and transmission bolt patterns. Just wanted to know if anyone had every tried this.
  • cinemafiacinemafia Member Posts: 57
    I don't know if anybody's tried it but I'm pretty suire it's possible, there's so much room in the engine bay even with the 1.3... I'd make my wife do it to her Metro if it weren't a lease! lol
    The Suzuki Baleno is the 2-door hatchback version of the Esteem in other countries. It comes with the same 13B engine as the Swift/Metro, and offers 1.6 and 1.8 liter engines as optional. I would think the 1.6 and 1.8 engines would fit, the trouble you would have would be matching it up to an automatic, but the 5-speeds I believe are the same unit. Go to www.suzuki.co.jp and go to links, then choose CAMI, and email an engineer, he'll know whether the engine mounts, etc, will fit.
  • ckpickupckpickup Member Posts: 15
    Well after reading so many positive posts about the Swift/Metro I went out and ordered a new 2000 Swift Automatic on Saturday. I had actually gone out to purchase a Chevy Metro only to be told that General Motors was no longer offering the Metro/Firefly to customers. The only available units on the lot in Canada were in Vancouver and I live in Toronto.
    I went to a Suzuki dealer to see if they had any on the lot and they told me that there were still going to make them available until the 2001 model year and then stop. I can't imagine the CAMI plant in Ingersol sitting around idle for very long so the speculation on the Baleno coming soon may be true.
    I should have my new Swift in about 10 days.
    While I'm waiting for delivery of my new Swift I've been looking around for what will fit in the factory speaker cut outs. I know that the rear is 6 1/2 inch, but can someone tell me what size the door cutouts are?
    Just taking a look of the Japan-Market 80th Anniversary Suzuki Swift GSi...

...4-doors, fog lamps, ground effects (side skirts, air damn, rear body kit), roof spoiler, mini-van-like rear hatch, available two-wheel or four wheel drive, 1.3L 16 valve engine, 87 bhp @ 6k rpm, 38 miles/gallon, three-spoke steering wheel, chrome tailpipe, five-spoke (tiny!) alloy wheels, CD player, special edition blue, black or white paint...

...All this for only 1.283 million yen in 2 wheel drive, 1.413 million yen in 4 wheel drive!

Check it out here:

http://www.suzuki.co.jp/dom4/lineup/swift_sg/frame.htm
    Suzuki's Japan-Market Wagon R Plus makes the Swift GSi look subtle!

http://www.suzuki.co.jp/dom4/lineup/pluslimi/frame.htm

Those Japanese sure know how to make a tiny, micro-van with a output of less than 100 hp look like a racer!
    Well just to be exact the Suzuki Wagon R Plus puts out 99.2 bhp, so yes it is just under 100 hp.
    P.S - It's a 16v turbo, hence the hood scoop.
  • covington1covington1 Member Posts: 6
    Have a l998 swift. Having trouble finding parts for it other than the dealer. Will metro parts fit? How about a good cas-radio-where on the net, what kind is good and will fit. It was a repo-when I bought the car and it has a l0 dollar radio. I was looking at a 98 metro and the headlight [non-permissible content removed]. looks the same, but the part number is different? Also it kind of lugs when the air is on and I am driving in city traffic, most of the time its when I am backing off second or third gear, sometimes even withoutthe air, have new plugs, air cleaner, pvc??????I know the differance as I have driven a 3 cyl metro three of them (courier work) and have not had one lug like this, have tried three sets of plugs, could it be the egr or fuel filter??
    Just about every Metro part should fit a Swift, as they are mechanically the same.

As far as the radio, it's double-DIN, which means it's twice the size of the standard radios you find in most cars. Many GM and some Japanese cars such as Lexus and of course Suzuki have this "special" type of radio socket. There are two choices for you, each with different pros and cons. And here they be:

Option #1 - Get a Double-DIN radio. JVC Makes possibly the best double-DIN radio that has both CD and cassette player, pumps 160 watts through four channels, has two sets of RCA outputs, over-sixed buttons, front audio inputs, a remote control, etc. etc. all for $400 through Crutchfield. You can also get other brands for less, for example Jensen makes another good unit for maybe half that price, or less.
    Pros -
    Very large face and buttons makes it easy to read the usually very colorful LCD screen and use the functions.
    Has both CD player and cassette player, making your choice of media wider without having to have a seperate cassette head and CD changer.
    Cons -
    Large, colorful face attracts unwanted attention from thieves. Combine this with the fact that most double-DIN units do not have removeable faces due to their odd size.
    Tend to be more expensive than single-DIN units because they have both CD and cassette capability.

Option #2 - Get two single-DIN units and stack them. Kenwood makes a special single-DIN CD player that comes with a special cable so it can be connected to a seperate head unit. basically you'd buy this CD player and put it on the bottom, then buy a cassette/MD or other head unit made by Kenwood and put it on top. Thus you have two units that fit perfectly into the double-sized opening. The kenwood unit is $220 through Crutchfield, has a fold-down security face, oversized LCD display with special dancing "light-show" effects and cannot be used without another head unit controlling it. The cassette unit that matches, which also has a flip-down face and puts out 160 watts and has two RCA outputs is about $180, so you're total comes to around the same as the JVC at $400. However, the MD unit is about $400 so you're total with the CD/MD combo would be a tough $620!
    Pros -
    Same price as the JVC double-DIN unit if you choose the base cassette head unit.
    Greater flexibility in terms of media, you can connect this CD player to a MD player instead of a cassette if you're tired of tapes. Or swap out different MP3 head units in the future, or put in a single-DIN eqalizer, etc.
    Looks cool and different, but also much less obtrusive and attention-gathering than the double-DIN unit, especially with the fold-down faces.
    Cons -
    More work than putting in a double-DIN unit.
    More expensive than buying a double-DIN unit if you go for a minidisk or other head unit to control it.
    Has anybody installed an aftermarket cruise control on a 99/00 Swift/Metro/Firefly?
    Looking for experiences, best unit, tips etc...
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    here information on the 2001 Suzuki Swift GA 2dr Hatchback. Happy Motoring!

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks Message Board

• mdyvrmdyvr Member Posts: 3
    Hi there folk

I saw the link mentioned a bit above regarding the japanese swift. Around the rest of the world it's called the Ignis. I recently emailed a fellow from the Canadian Suzuki website and asked if we're gonna get it here. His rather terse reading reply was that "No Ignis' will be sold in Canada."

Currently, it appears that GM plans to import the European Corsa to North America. That being the case, it would not be surprising if the CAMI plant produces it and we get a rebadged version of it as the replacement for Swift.

It also seems that GM is heading toward using Suzuki mechanical knowledge combined with GM's interior/exterior designs for future small platformed models.

mdyvr
  • papalpapal Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a 92 Swift GA 1.3 engine. It has only 79000 miles. get conflicting info on the average gas consumption. Can anyone out there set the record straight from personal experience? I mainly travel on highway.
    can you confirm the arrival of the Corsa? They sell it in Mexico as the Chevrolet Chevy Joy/Swing/Monza/Wagon series. But this is the old Corsa (1994 design). The new Corsa looks like a smoothed over Focus. I have tried with no luck to find someone to import a Corsa or Mexican Chevy. People import Skylines and Japanese Spec Integra Type R's, but there is appartently no market for minis in the importer's minds.
  • seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    new suzuki hatch available early next year, per July motortrend. 5 dr, 2.0 I-4 (est HP 150, although I think more like 130), avail AWD, great looks, although they say production car will be more subdued than the concept. Too bad we can't get the turbocharged concept with 220hp...
  • hihihihihihi Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 2001 swift and I hate it.I go 30 miles to work and back and it is all mountans and I have it floored and cant go over 35 mph.And are the engins supposed to be so loud you cant hear the cd player in the car?Please tell me something.
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    It sounds like you have a major problem. The swift should scoot you up most hills in 4th gear, unless these mountains are 8000 ft in elevation or something like that. Also you didn't state whether or not it was a automatic or stick.
    I had a 1995 Metro, 4-cylinder automatic, same car as the Swift. It could drive 85mph all day uphill and downhill, no problems. Even at 112K when I got rid of it, it was still a speed demon. Maybe you need to release your parking brake.
  • telogiajtelogiaj Member Posts: 1
    I also have a Swift and have the same problems. I drive an automatic and it is extreamly sluggish going up small hills. It is a 97 and only has 41,000 miles on it and I just purchased it for $3,000 needing good mpg for a 40 mile a day commute. Has anyone gotten any ideas about this. I took it to the dealership and they said I needed a new distributor. This hasn't helped and the check engine light blinks going up small hills.
  • fortee9erfortee9er Member Posts: 134
    I bought this little pocket rocket a month ago with 71,000 miles for $2,000. here the pluses and the minuses:
    Minuses:
    It has a problem with the starter - sometimes it works sometimes it does not. I have replaced the starter twice and the problem persists does anyone have any ideas???
    Second minus :
    It is missing the parcel shelf behind the rear seat and the hatch.
    It is missing the fog lights.
    No radio or speakers.
    Pluses:
    It came with a K&N air filter kit, Calmini strut bars front and rear and oversize Dunlop Sport SP800 tires and it is a blast to drive fast.
    I need help with the starter problem and I am also looking for sources for speed equipment hopefully someone who sells Suzuki Motor Sports equipment in the US or Canada.
    Thanks
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    from our Archived discussions and re-opened. Look for a direct link to Edmunds' Suzuki Swift new vehicle information in the Helpful Links on the upper/left side of this page. Hope this is helpful.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Hi Folks - Interesting Town Hall Subaru chat, this evening (18 April), for both Subaru and non-Subaru owners. Rick Rhoades, Subaru of America Technical Service Instructor, and Pete Eike, Subaru National Fixed Operations Training Manager will discuss all aspects of maintaining your vehicle, including which areas need attention prior to making those long trips.

If you are around at 6-7 pm Pacific Time or 9-10 ET please join us. And don't forget to fill out the interesting survey in the Chat area as well. Here's the link: http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/subarumaintenancechat041802.html

Thanks!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • lovemycar31lovemycar31 Member Posts: 1

i have a suziki swift 1999 i replaced battery alternator starter fuses yet it keeps dying every other day the car only has 80471 miles on it when i bought in december of 2013 i have pu 14 miles on it anyone have ideas on what else could be wrng i really want to keep this car its perfect for the amount i drive when it wants to start

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited January 2014

@lovemycar31 said:
    i have a suziki swift 1999 i replaced battery alternator starter fuses yet it keeps dying every other day the car only has 80471 miles on it when i bought in december of 2013 i have pu 14 miles on it anyone have ideas on what else could be wrng i really want to keep this car its perfect for the amount i drive when it wants to start

Since you're talking about electrical items, do you mean "dying" as in it won't turn over like the battery is dead? (Could be some kind of short) Or does it starts and then just stop? (Obviously some other issue)