Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Daewoo Nubira Hatchback

ehilder2ehilder2 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Daewoo
I had experience w/ a 1996 Volkwagen Golf GL..
I'll tell you, that thing was the lamest piece of
junk I ever owned! The interior was always falling
apart, it wouldn't start in the winter half the
time.. I had all kinds of issues with the air
conditioner and I finally sold it! True, it was fun
to drive when it was running. I bought a 1998
Nubira last year.. The thing has been awesome. It
has a much faster engine then the VW, Its never
flinched once.. The only issue I had was a squeaky
seatbelt latch. I originally came upon these cars
from a friend in Sweden, and they are pretty much
the number 1 seller over there... Now that they are
here I am happy.. But Like a number of auto
manufacturers, they are going to stop hatchback
sales to the states for 2000..
Everyone wants an illogical, space hogging trunk..

No thanks.. I love my hatchback.

Comments

• keelskeels Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my Nubira Hatchback September 1999. I like the car okay but I seem to get horrible gas mileage. I took a road trip(480 miles). I decided to see what it did on the highway because in the city the gas mileage did not appear to do so well.I decided to fuel up when the needle was on 'e'. I had to refuel twice! I called the dealer who told me that the car motor has to break in for better gas mileage. Also the dealer told me that the 2000 model was not coming out until Spring 2000. I have seen the 2000 models advertised this week. I feel duped.Has anyone else heard of this or experienced these type problems? Please give me feedback and suggestions.
  • souleysouley Member Posts: 1
    I have a new 1999 Nubira Sedan with 1100 miles on it. I get 25 in the city and over 30 on the highway. It have the 5-speed manual. Better get your engine checked. I have had no problems with mine at all! Love the car. Hell of a deal! Nothing else comes even close.
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    I purchased a Nubira 1999 Hatchback and it now has 4000mileage. It seems to give a foul smell when I apply brakes and there is so much of smoke coming out of it with that too. Has any one else seen that kind of problem beore?
  • vandana1vandana1 Member Posts: 2
    I bought this hatchback nubira cdx last year 99 model,has 4000 miles and it is giving this foul smell when I am stuck in traffic with applied brakes and so much smoke comes out of it. Please do let me know if anyone has experienced this or has any suggestions!
  • nubira1nubira1 Member Posts: 13
    What brand of gas do you use?
  • vandana1vandana1 Member Posts: 2
    I usually fill up gas from texaco or shell since these are the only once nearest but use only 87 octane
    If you have a bad egg smell it may be the brand of gas. Otherwise if it is smoking you may want to get that checked out.
  • projectzx3projectzx3 Member Posts: 256
    i saw a 2000 nubria hatchback today and i must tell you i think the car really looks good. it was very distinctive especially from the back. i bought a focus zx3 because i liked ford's 'cutting edge design'. but if i had gone with a more traditional hatchback it would have been the nubria. sorry to hear that some of you are experiencing problems. if you are getting poor gas mileage and a rotten egg smell and smoke from the exhaust you've probably got a bad catalytic converter and would be replaced under warranty. just a side note...in Automobile Magazine Feb. 2000 issue page 19 it states Daewoo Corporation is in very bad financial shape. They are in the 'red' to a tune of 73.3 Billion dollars. it may in fact be the largest corporate insolvency ever. Daewoo automobile division is only a small part of a much larger company. Daewoos come with a great warranty but i sincerely i hope you all have a dealership to take your car to.
  • damascenedamascene Member Posts: 2
    to projectzx3,
    they don't make the 2000 nubira hatchback anymore..just 2000 sedans..

by anychance you own a black zx3?
  • projectzx3projectzx3 Member Posts: 256
    had to be a 99 then because it was a hatch. pretty good looking car. no, my zx3 is twilight blue.
  • damascenedamascene Member Posts: 2
    they should make a release trunk for the hatchback.. freaking annoying to go outside w/ the keys and opening it..

anyone have any suggestions or to buy some sort of aftermarket product for a AUTO trunk release?
  • thedave2thedave2 Member Posts: 6
    I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH U , WHY ISNT THERE AN INSIDE RELEASE TO THE STUPID HATCHBACK, I OWN A DAEWOO LANOS HATCH AND ITS SOOOOOO ANNOYING WHEN I HAVE TO STOP AT A FRIENDS HOUSE, GET OUT OF THE CAR AND OPEWN THE BACK TO GET STUFF OUT!!! ANYWAYS TO ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS I GET ABOUT 24 MILES TO THE GALLON WITH MY AUTOMATIC, I THINK THAT THE SMELL IS PROBABLY THE GAS OR YOUR PUNCHING THE ACCELERATER AND PUSHING IT TO THE TOP OF ITS RPMS. WHEN I TRY TO RACE A GET A KIND OF BURNT SMELL, BUT ITS OK IF I DRIVE NORMALLY, THIS IS AN ECONOMY CAR, NOT A NASCAR RACER, ANYWAYS I HAD SOME BURNT OUT WIRES I GOT REPLACED AND IT HAS FIXED THE INITIAL GAS AND SMELL PROBLEMS I HAD, YOU MIGHT WANT TO GET YOU CAR CHECKED OUT BEFORE THE WARRANTY IS EXPIRED, BUT I HAVE TO ADMIT I LOVE THE CAR, OHHHH BY THE WAY HAS ANYONE TAKEN THE A DAEWOO OVER 90MPH , I STILL CANT FIND A STRAIGHT AWAY TO DO THIS ON!!!
    IF YOU COME ACROSS A HATCH RELEASE DEVISE PLZ POST ITS WHEREABOUTS ON THE POST.
  • pogi2pogi2 Member Posts: 3
    I thought Damascene was able to find an after market release from his Daewoo dealer.
  • pogi2pogi2 Member Posts: 3
    Also, 1st gear and 2nd gear has no pull at all. My 1999 Nubira Hatchback has 1500 miles on it. The ride is good and the sound system is excellent. But, again, the first two gears has always left me behind even though I rev it till 3500 RPM. I have no doubt that an arthritic grandmother on a bicycle can easily beat me on a 1/4 mile.
    Try going over 3500 rpm's. You will find that it is a different car. The horsepower and torque doesn't peak until 5400 and 4400 rpm's. Put your foot down. If they tested these cars at redline (6400) for 10 hours straight with no problem, you should be able to go well over 3500.
    I am glad you like your car. Is there a reason that you have to come here and bash us? That focus is one goofy looking car. That is my opinion. You are in the same boat as far as resale when the rental companies use them. So what is the real difference?
  • focuszx3rfocuszx3r Member Posts: 92
    I was really bored and I dislike Korean cars. I do not plan to re-sell my car, and I dont think a rental company will be using my car(?). The value on your car will go down much faster than mine, even though mine doesnt have a/c, but hey it can beat your car :).
    Mind if I ask how much you paid for your ZX3?
  • focuszx3rfocuszx3r Member Posts: 92
    I payed 12,000
  • bevenbeven Member Posts: 1
    Hey all -

Overall, I've had pretty good relations with Daewoo - besides a burned out foglamp on my Nubira (replaced for free), messed up handbrake (fixed for free), and having an animal eat through my ABS line (fixed for free), I've had no problems. I'm nearly 20,000 miles, and I'm still happy!
  • bblazesbblazes Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the process of buying a '99 Nubira hatchback. My concern are the wheels. Would anyone know if it were possible to fit 15" tires to it? Are there clearance issues involved?
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    http://daewooclub.tripod.com/news/news.HTML

this is a site for new Daewoo cars that are in Europe.
  • nubirapower4unubirapower4u Member Posts: 10
    I purchased a 1999 Daewoo Nubira Hatchback. I am very happy with this car, I just hope there are more companies out there to make some more after market products. To question #24 yes they will fit. I love my car I always get compliments and stares at my car. I have the following: 1) New turbo exhaust, 2)Air intake, 3) H.I.D. lights, 4)17 inch Konig wheels, 5) tinted windows, 6) a sound system. And some other engine work. And soon I will lower my car by Eibach soon. BUT FOR THE ZX3 OUT THERE I CAN BEAT ANY STOCK OR MODIFIED ZX3 OUT THERE EASY. EASY!!!
    Does anyone know where I can find a Daewoo Nubira Hatchback stick. thax
  • carlrjrcarlrjr Member Posts: 35
    Does the Nubira wheel bolt pattern match any other common cars?

How much do you want for the 15" rims?
    I have 17 inch wheels on my Nubira, 205 40 ZR17. And the bolt pattern is 4X100. That is a common number.
This discussion has been closed.