Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• spektrespektre Member Posts: 80
    As far as I can tell, that is correct. The GTI specs .pdf only indicates Summer performance tires in 18" - no mention of all-season 18"s as an option.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    There is no 18" wheels w/ All-season tires package from VW. Although, it's quite possible that the dealer will simply remove the summer tires and install 18" (insert name brand here) all-season's.
    Which seems like a really generous thing to do... and probably won't happen. I could only find one all-season in that tire size on tire rack, and it wasn't cheap. So unless the salesman is paying that out of pocket... not! Or maybe I'm just cynical, and this is very caring and concerned VW dealership who likes to go the extra mile for its customers! ;)
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Not if he replaces them with cheaper rubber. I don't expect he's going to throw the tires away. He's going to sell them to someone else and make a few bucks on it.
  • ashulman727ashulman727 Member Posts: 21
    So basically I'm giving expensive summer tires up for cheaper all-seasons.
  • webanthonywebanthony Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a new GTI, and couldnt find anywhere information that it contained a LSD.

According to the VW website it listed something called "Electronic Differential Lock" under traction control.

I figure its better to have an LSD than no LSD, but is it something I will realistically miss?

I have never owned a VW before, and had a question regarding the warranty. The website said its 4yr/50k miles, but said "Wear and Tear items and adjustments excluded after 1yr/12k miles". What exactly does this mean? Knowing that I drive 16k/yr and VWs reliability ranking (even though this is made in Germany as opposed to Mexico like the other VWs) will this "Wear and Tear" disclaimer really affect me?
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    We'll see. Too many "done overseas first" cars stumble once they get here. The german-built first year A3 is already having some trans and electrical issues.

The GTI and A3 have great potential. I hope they'll prove VW is on the mend and serious about offering reliability as well as "euro-performance-luxury".

My first car was a VW, btw.
    Should I go for the all-seasons or stick w/ the summer performance and just not drive in the snow? I live in NYC
    I'd stay with the 17" all-season's and save the money. In my view, the rims look better on the 17 inchers.

;)
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Well, thats the thing. I don't see the MSRP dropping after removing the maintence. Otherwise your just paying interest on the "maintence loan" and I agree just pay when needed. I don't belive MB lowered the MSRP when they dropped the maintence. Id rather have the long powertrain warranty they used to have, especially with the blown motor....

DL
  • waiwai Member Posts: 325
    Consider the fact that you like better handling and steering response, you should keep the 18" rim with summer performance tire. The GTI suspension will suit this 18" wheel/tire combination better. Also you can't upgrade your brake if this is a 17" wheel (no enough clearance) and you give up so much more fun only for the sake of a short snowy winter drive. And I am sure they will only give you a touring A/S instead of high performance A/S. You will lose money if you choose 17". BTW, with the help of ESP, you can still drive with the 18" cautiously if this is a light snow.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    "Should I go for the all-seasons or stick w/ the summer performance and just not drive in the snow? I live in NYC"

Buy a set of winter tires on rims and switch them come snow season. It won't cost you anything in the long run because your expensive rummer tires will last twice as long.

dave
    Agree with this one - your beautiful, expensive rims and tires will last longer not being eaten by salt, etc. A decent set of winter tires with a narrower aspect (17" or even 16") will be much, much better in the snow than 18" all-seasons.

And you absolutely do not want to be driving summer only high performance 18" tires on even the lightest snow - you will have zero traction - ESP will not help with this, that's not why it's on the car. Been there, done that!
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    I suspect that Audi is just fighting to keep the price from spiralling up too fast, German manufacturiing costs and such. Ditto on the powertrain.

Byron
    What about driving in rain?
    I'll presume you're asking about driving the summer high performance 18's in the rain: No problem at all - different animal entirely than snow - the summers will be just fine in the rain (as long as they're a decent tire)
    Thanks for all the help.
    My dealer is working on finding the exact GTI I want (black/black, package 2/sirius, and Navi). He's not sure if he'll get 17 or 18" wheels. I think I'll take whichever he gets first and then go from there.
    If I get 17" wheels, I will get new rims. If I get 18" wheels, I'll buy winter tires.
    Keep us posted on your search! :)

I've yet to see one on the ground or in online inventory with Navi - has anyone? :confuse:
  • subiedubiesubiedubie Member Posts: 10
    spektre and shulman,

i test drove a black-on-black GTI MKV yesterday.
    6-speed
    pkg. 2
    18" huff's

sounds exactly like what you are looking for.

Smith VW-Wilmington, DE
    http://www.smithvw.com/en_US/
    I want a red one, so contact them and ask for Blair Givens......tell him Charlie E. from Newark, DE sent you.
    Nice. With Navi? Sirius or XM?
  • lostinatllostinatl Member Posts: 3
    Not sure is this is the correct board or not, but I just leased the new GTI w/ Sirius radio (pkg 1) and it seems when I turn the radio volume up it tends to lower itself a little. If I lower the volume slightly, its gets as loud as it was, then lowers itself again. Gonna contact the dealer tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone else had the same problem.
    yes---it had navi and sat---sirius, i think
    this seems to be a common problem over on the vwvortex.com boards. seems that the radio has s speed compensating feature that causes these fluctuations in volume.......also a protection feature designed so you don't blow out your speakers/amp. i don't like it....i can handle my own volume changes
    Wow, I didn't know that. I've found that it will occur when I listen to the radio, but when I switch to the CD, the problem disappears.

I was under the impression that the volume problem was due to a loss of signal strength. Where if, on an analogy radio, you'd hear static... the VW digital radio translated that to a loss of volume.

I learn something every day...

;)
  • waiwai Member Posts: 325
    Can you let me know what bran & model of summer performance tire is on your 18" wheel GTI?
    Thanks for the info. My dealer ended up locating the car and I should have it by the weekend or early next week. I'm very excited!!!

Does anyone know if the IPod adapter is available for the GTI?
  • raleighraleigh Member Posts: 98
    I like the new GTI a lot. But can anyone tell me why it weighs more than the Jetta by 100 lbs or so -- at least according to the specs published by Edmunds (3,300+ vs 3200+). This just doesn't seem logical. Many thanks.
  • raleighraleigh Member Posts: 98
    Re. bringing back the R32, I asked the same question of the VW reps at the DC auto show in January. They said definitely yes -- it may even be an R36! Supposedly due this September.
    Will be interesting to hear more about how new R32 (36 ???) compares to the '07 Audi A3 3.2 S.
  • ejaleelejaleel Member Posts: 1
    I love the looks of the 18" rims on the new GTI, yet I am worried about ride quality over time. Any advice?
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    From AutoWeek

Short shelf life
    New VW Golf to be replaced by 2008

Short shelf life
    It sounds like VW needs to get their mfr cost down, and are planning to do so. A benefit is they could redesign the Golf engine bay to accomidate larger engines the sport versions could benefit from.

And why this continual drive for larger rims and flatter tires? Outside of a glass smooth track, this stuff hurts both ride and handling (unsprung weight goes up with bigger rims - unsprung weight is not your friend). Is bling-bling that important on a performance car?
  • 98jettadc98jettadc Member Posts: 10
    An Ipod connector? Yes - but if you have a Nav system they will disconnect the CD changer in the console in order to connect the Ipod cable. However, there is supposed to be a new cable/harness coming out very soon which allows both CD changer and Ipod to be used.
    Thanks!

Does anyone know about the bluetooth or phone adapter? That telephone button on the steering wheel is taunting me.
  • vw79type2vw79type2 Member Posts: 37
    I have some questions regarding the new GTI that maybe some owners can answer.

Is premium gas required or recommended? If it is recommended is their any noticeable difference in the cars performance or handling between premium and regular? Does using regular have any consequences in terms of the warranty?

:confuse:

Thanks for any help.
  • jitteryjoe_246jitteryjoe_246 Member Posts: 49
    Got myself a silver GTI package 0 last week after some fools stole my 2000 Cirrus and totaled it :sick:

I don't know, maybe in the long run they did me a favor...

After an initial shake-down I'm quite pleased with most aspects of the car. My major gripes (actually minor gripes) are the sound system seems to be sub par, and the 'airbag off' light is really annoying at night. I think in time I'll get used to the 'airbag off' light, but the radio may be a different story. The volume seems to fluctuate - more so on stations with poor reception. I noticed this was discussed earlier in the forum and I don't have much to add to the topic. Note to self: buy more CDs.

The in dash computer gives you usefull stats and the dash mounted controls are a breeze to use. Just wish it would bypass the 'setup' menu when driving. (The setup menu can only be accessed when the car is stationary, otherwise you get a screen that informs you of this fact. Of course you have to flip past the setup menu if you want to get from trip statistics to the radio display)

I was impressed at the interior design. Lots of stuff makes sense. Fully positionable arm rest, telescoping steering wheel, sunglasses holder, and good material feel. I also thought the red LEDs by the front dome lights were a nice touch. Now you can read something quick at night without blinding yourself.

If you're a windows down person, beware - you get a LOT of wind noise. I think it's enjoyable for a short trip, but over 5 hours you'll lose your mind.

All in all quite pleased for the price. It's great to be driving a car with some zip!
    Off the top of my head I don't remember reading anything about using regular voiding the warranty....

Ok, the manual states that you should use 91 octane, or you can use 89 octane (plus) with a decrease in performance. I haven't used 89 yet and honestly I don't plan to. The car engine was designed to use 91. You don't want to be throwing off the engine timing because you wussed out on 7 cents per gallon. Using plain jane regular gas would probably introduce engine knock.

This is a performance engine. Treat it like one!

On the other hand, using 93 octane is a waste of money, unless you mod your engine to wring out more hp - at your own risk.

91 octane is sort of hard to find, but Sunoco is a chain that has all 4 levels of octane (87, 89, 91, 93). However, in a pinch you can mix equal parts 89 and 93 octane gas to get 91 octane. Gas stations only have an underground tank for the lowest octane gas and the highest octane gas. The pumps mix all the intermediate grades on the spot...but they are probably a tad bit more accurate than you or I.
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    ...A group of us at my office (some new to VW, others old fans) are really interested in the Mk V GTI. If anyone has had a good sales and/or service experience from a DC/Northern Virginia dealer, would you mind sharing? Thanks!
  • geoffdgtigeoffdgti Member Posts: 83
    vw79type2 asks:
    Is premium gas required or recommended? If it is recommended is their any noticeable difference in the cars performance or handling between premium and regular? Does using regular have any consequences in terms of the warranty?

A tank of 87 octane won't kill the car but you'll notice a significant performance drop-off. The engine control unit will sense the knocking and compensate automatically. Given a price difference of maybe 8 or 9% between premium and regular, the fall off in fuel economy will cost you more than what you'd save running lower octane fuel.

Long term use of 87 octane probably causes some carbon buildup. I suppose VW could refuse to honor the warranty for engine failure if the engine shows signs of not running on premium fuel.
  • johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    Theres the new Motorola IHF1000 premium bluetooth kit for VW that has a special cable for the new Mk V GTI.
    It interfaces with the Nav display if you have that.
    I have it paired to my Treo700W and it is fantastic.
    BostonVW installed mine & did a great job!
    Dont forget you can change out the XM for the Sirius it's only a small module under the passenger seat.
    VW has signed a deal to go all Sirius but you may find an XM car that meets your requirements.
    I'd buy the GTI in either MD or VA. VW dealerships in DC have a 250 fee that shows up on the invoice as something like "Washington Dealers Ad Fee". I've never heard of anyone getting the dealership to drop the fee, so beware.

I had a very good experience at Ourisman VW in Laurel MD. I came prepared with numbers on actual dealer cost, and they offered me the car for 4% above cost - right off the bat. No games, just right to the point.

If the dealership isn't that far, check it out. Having your numbers ready and comparisons done in advance will really help you out when it comes time to talk deal.
    I bought my 2006 VW GTI from Ourisman. Got it at $500 below invoice with minimal negotiation.

United Gray, DSG, Package 2, and the all-season 17" tires.

I was pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere at the dealership. Almost no pressure at all.

:D
    Awesome. I have the nav. Does it all work through the system or do I have to use the controller that comes with the kit?
    Basically once you have paired the phone it is recognized by the system once you carry the phone in the car.
    Strangely or not so strangely I forgot the phone today and left it in my office over the garage about 50 ft away. Jumped in the car and I get a voice saying it recognized phone # 1. I got a call in the car with the phone in my office!

The IHF handles everything beautifully. Requires very little interaction. Apart from accept a call or disconnect. Thats it. It's as good as you are at learning the capabilities of the system. Nicely integrated by VW & Motorola. Go to www.hellomoto.com for details on the IHF1000
    Cheers
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    I like the new GTI a lot. But can anyone tell me why it weighs more than the Jetta by 100 lbs or so -- at least according to the specs published by Edmunds (3,300+ vs 3200+). This just doesn't seem logical. Many thanks.

Edmunds is wrong. The US GTI weight is (approximately):
    3100 manual / 3150 DSG
    (per calculation from Euro-spec cars, extrapolated to US GTI, as weighed in reviews/by owner(s), and also from US owner's manual). Why the VW web site .pdf file states over 3300lbs, no one knows.
  • gpangpan Member Posts: 5
    i'm in the same boat that you are. right now i'm debating between the scion tc and the 06 mkv gti. i know that the two cars are completely different beasts, and most people will tell me to focus on what is most important to me - but honestly, i'm looking for best value in terms of fuel economy, peformance, price, comfort, longevity (i tend to keep my cars for at least 150k, my current being a camry at 160k mi), reliability, and customer satisfaction (what's this i hear about bad dealers?). my price cap is 25k, so i'm alright with the gti pricetag. any thoughts?
    Well, for the reliability concerns...

I've found, on average, that Volkswagen's will treat you right if and only if you treat them right.

Which means that the 'regularly scheduled maintenance' is regularly performed. Oil changes are not skipped, for example.

Of course, there's always a chance at getting a lemon, but that's always going to be the case with any car you buy.

There is also the huge boost to reliability that is coming from the fact that this new GTI is made in Wolfsburg, Germany instead of Brazil.

:P
    Does anyone else find the navigation spftware to be lacking? I live in New York City. I entered Target into the system for New Jersey and it had zero results.
    How old is this software??? Anyone know when a new version will be available?
    Did you change the state first?