Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• Options
    unkosanunkosan Member Posts: 1
    My local dealer has 3 on his lot. I checked it out yesterday and its reasonably nice. I thought with 4 doors, the doors would be too small, but it's not too bad. And back seat room is decent. I think even better than my Sentra.

If all goes well I hope to be driving around in my 4 door GTI in a few weeks.
  • Options
    gtiupgtiup Member Posts: 1
    It's been a month now since I picked up my '07 GTI 5dr (stop drooling). Driving this thing in Germany's an absolute dream! Anyway, why I'm posting - since I am in Germany with a US spec GTI I can't listen to AM radio stations. The GTI is preset for 10khz increments while Germany uses 7. I am always at least 3khz away from whatever station I want (873,1107, or 1143). Many radios have a switch to allow the change, or can lock in to signals, regardless of the freq. Is this possible on the GTI? - I've already lost satellite radio because I'm here.
  • Options
    thomaspeterdubthomaspeterdub Member Posts: 20
    The new GTI has a receptacle in the glove box that I was told is for connecting an Ipod. Can anyone verify this because the dealer is giving me conflicting information. If affirmative, does one simply connect the Ippod and play it thru the radio? Thanks.
  • Options
    98jettadc98jettadc Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2006 GTI with the (Ipod) MP3 connector. It's a 1/8-inch (headphone) cable which begins in the glove box. It's long enough to reach the steering wheel and thin enough that you can easily close the glove box with the cable protruding. Set the source to CD/AUX to use. Once you get the Ipod player output level just right, it sounds as good as the VW CD player......
  • Options
    thomaspeterdubthomaspeterdub Member Posts: 20
    Thanks. I will give it a try. Incidentally, how is your car holding up from the reliability standpoint? Any problems areas yet? How many miles do you have? I picked mine up yesterday and so far all is perfect.
  • Options
    98jettadc98jettadc Member Posts: 10
    I'm still below 5000 miles. So far so good.
  • Options
    poita33poita33 Member Posts: 11
    I live in Toronto Canada. Is it necessary to have winter tires to replace the 17" tires? I spoke to the salesman about the GTI and he said its a must which is a drag.
    I'm wondering if the Rabbit with the 16" tires would need snow tires in the winter as well?
  • Options
    mbb1960mbb1960 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Jetta Wagon VR6 with 60,000 miles on it. We have taken this car in every 10,000 miles for service as required as well as regular oil changes. Last week the timing chain tensioner disintegrated, allowed the chain to jump teeth and basically caused a lot of damage (repair estimate is $5800). As I am the second owner, VW is not standing behind their product. This type of failure at 60,000 miles seems very premature. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I have had a lot of problems with this car including having to replace the intake manifold two times. I would also be interested to hear about anyone's experiences in VW's support of the product.
  • Options
    riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    So sorry to hear about your problems.

Check out:
    MyVWLemon
  • Options
    600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    Chances are, the car was probably trashed (i.e. poor or non-existant maintenance) by the previous owner. My guess is the oil wasn't changed at the proper intervals (if at all) and the cylinder head seized (sludge) - causing the timing chain to fail (which means the engine incurred at least $5,000 worth of damage prior at the time of timing chain failure).
  • Options
    My VW Lemon - 4500 members out of the millions of VWs sold - looks like a small number of owner complaints to me. From the number of complaints I've seen posted on the 'net, I expected to see at least a 10% failure rate or something. Even if 1 million VWs were sold, you will need 100,000 lemons out of the batch to get to a 10% failure rate. Some of the numbers just don't compute.

I did a google search on honda lemons, & toyota lemons, and it returned a sizeable number of hits.

My point - every manufacturer has produced their share of lemons over the years... :lemon:
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Were service/maintenance records kept by the original owner? (service preferably done by a VW dealer).

If you can show that all prescribed service WAS done in accordance with the recommendations, then perhaps you might have a bit more leverage at this point with VW regarding the warranty.

Out of curiousity, just what were the terms of the original powertrain warranty? Would VW be standing behind the car even if you were the original owner and had all your service records?
  • Options
    If I was the original owner I would have a 10 year 100K mile warrenty.
  • Options
    1. I certainly agree that I am past the lemon law, so I don't believe that calling the car a lemon means a whole lot.
    2. When I got the car it had 29,000 miles on it, so the previous owner would have had to have been truly negligent for your senario to be an issue. Judging by the condition of the rest of the car, I don't believe that to be the case. In any event I am working to track down the previous owner to see if there were any other issues. I know I have kept up with the maintenance specifications since I got the car.

3. I judge a 10% failure rate in quality to be way excessive for any major manufacturer. Particular for a manufacturer whose product is so critical to our safety and takes a significant percentage of the average family's income to buy.

4. I really liked this car. It is a blast to drive and feels tight and safe. I am very dissapointed in VW and the dealers response to this issue. I have been a big fan of this car and the VW marque since I got this car, despite the problems I have had.

5. The timing chain was in tact. It was the tensioner that failed. So I don't follow the scenario you went through. Per the mechanic at the dealer, the tensioner failed, the chain was loose and skipped some teeth, the timing was gone, the collisions between the pistons and valve occurred. My engine is toast. By the way, the pistons are not seized. The engine still turns over with the starter motor.

6. I believe we are all accountable for our actions. I am accountable in my job and the actions I take on behalf of my employer. I am frustrated that VW and the dealer do not feel the same level of accountability. I have some other issues here that I need to investigate further.
  • Options
    leafsleafs Member Posts: 1
    The tensioner is a known issue. I am changing my tensioner when I hit 100000km (60000 miles) along with my waterpump. If VW was a noble company they would fix your issue. Bottom line, the part is known to fail and VW should stand up to their problem. Good Luck
  • Options
    "My point - every manufacturer has produced their share of lemons over the years."

My point - and some more than others, and VW falls squarely into that category, I'm very sorry to say.
  • Options
    >My point - and some more than others, and VW falls squarely into that category, I'm very sorry to say.

Some owners know how do deal with it, and others don't (I[m very sorry to say). In my experience (20+ year mechanical background), the majority of drivers do not know how to take care of their automobiles as well as they think they do. Most owners buy a car out of emotion or because it's "trendy" (without really taking the time to do their research about the vehicle - SUV owners are the biggest culprits). It's human nature to take the path of least resistence - especially when it comes to automobile maintenance - thinking that maintenance should only occur when something goes wrong - as opposed to taking a more pro-active approach and maintaining the vehicle at proper intervals.

You'll be surprised how many times I've seen owners bring their car in for simple routine maintenance like an oil change, and it was their first oil change in about 20,000, 30,000, 40,000 miles (this is not a rarity - it happens more frequently than not) - yet they are the first one to complain when something goes wrong with the car.

Yes, manufacturers are at fault at times - but it takes two to tango.

If every VW is a piece of junk, how do you explain the success I've had with them (and I've owned 5 - three currently) - and don't give me the same old, tired excuse that "I am a rarity". I'll be the first to tell you right to your face that not only is that argument weak - it's BS.

I've put at least 250,000 miles on my first three vehicles (2 VWs, 1 Nissan), and currently have 190,000 miles on my 1997 Jetta and 80,000 miles on my 2003 Wolfsburg Jetta, and I have yet to have any serious issues outside of routine maintenance and scheduled replacement of wearable items (clutch replacement on my 1997 @ 170,000 miles, timing belt replacement every 90,000 miles, voltage regulator replacement @ 150,000 miles). My secret: maintenance, my friend, maintenance.

Tell me, do you perform a routine visual inspection on your vehicle for the following conditions:
    - checking for leaks
    - belt wear
    - all fluid levels
    - tire condition
    - any obstructions around or underneath the vehicle that may cause a potential adverse affect while driving (you'll be surprised how many drivers I've seen (of new vehicles) drive around with engine panels or body panels nearly dragging on the road) - and the drivers are totally oblivious.

- and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I perform these checks on all three of my vehicles on a regular basis - and I have a very busy schedule, but I manage to make the time and it is now part of my daily routine.

So when I hear the complaints about Brand X or Brand Y, I'm more apt to believe that the owner has played just as big a role in their car's demise as the manufacturer. Call me a skeptic - but based on my years of experience, my skepticism is usually justified more often than not...
  • Options
    Do you have any information/documentation that tensioner failure is a known issue?
    Thanks
  • Options
    I never said VWs were junk. I did say that I really liked the car. I also considered it to be a high performance car that would and did require extra attention to maintenance, so I followed the prescribed maintenance schedule in my owners manual religiously. On average this car was in a repair facility about every 4 months, either to fix a problem or for scheduled maintenance (sometimes both) and I have the documentation. We averaged about 10K miles a year on the car.
  • Options
    I'm not sure I understand why OWNERS need to deal with grossly sub-standard reliability.

I applaud you for your high standards of maintenance - and, ot answer your questions, yes, I do all those the same things that you do - HONEST!

I agree that many people don't maintain a proper maintenance schedule. That said, is it reasonable to think that VW owners take WORSE care of their vehicles than, say Toyota owners? If they took equally poor care, then we'd expect Toyotas to experience problems at a similar rate, wouldn't we? (We would). Yet, we don't. Why would that be? Because VW's haven't been designed/manufactured as well as Toyotas. There just isn't any other explanation, is there? (There's not)

You're attempting to perform a subtle re-definition of the the discussion when you say "If every VW is a piece of junk".

As someone a with a self-described "20+ year mechanical background" behind you, you of course understand how some parts/components/designs are more prone to failure than others. That doesn't mean that it will fail; merely that it is MORE LIKELY to fail. The more parts in a vehicle which are prone to failure, the more likely the vehicle will be spending a disproportionate amount of time on a repair rack. I believe that has defined recent VW's. I am hopeful that they're breaking free of that.

Anywhere you look - Consumers Reports, JD Powers, word of mouth - ANYWHERE - you see a disproportionate number of problems with VW products.

The coil pack fiasco was a classic - both for the fact that the problem occured, but more importantly for how VW chose to treat their customers where were victims of the problem.

Here's a fascinating piece which nobody here has ever been able to refute: Mechanic’s Tale: VW, Heal Thyself

Here you have Doug Flint - a mechanic/business man who's literally BEGGING VW to make better products! This guy feels his customer's VW pain, and wants them to not have to suffer. Anyone who reads through his other articles will agree with me that Doug is the salt of the earth, and the kind of person that we DREAM about having close enough by to take our cars to for repair/maintenance.
  • Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    VW has repeatedly said they import a European car for American markets. They hired an unusual ad agency to promote that fact. So there are things American buyers simply cannot get on their VW's. Audi, to its credit, does a little better job addressing American wants.

VW's own staff has remarked their quality is bad and their costs are too high. The costs are via the German Metalworkers union, who insist on 28.5 hour work-weeks and other perks that make the VW German factories the most expensive in the world.

And thanks for the Doug Flint article. Very Worthwhile info from someone who sees these cars from a service viewpoint.
  • Options
    gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    VW's own staff has remarked their quality is bad and their costs are too high. The costs are via the German Metalworkers union, who insist on 28.5 hour work-weeks and other perks that make the VW German factories the most expensive in the world.

---

Actually, VW just finished negotiating with the unions and got them to work 33 hours/week with no increase in pay.

(Boy, I want to work 33 hours/week. Yes, I do...)

:P
  • Options
    Interesting...found the story several on-line places now. Thanks for the tip.

Now if VW Germany would only listen more to VW America.. :shades:
  • Options
    windsurfa_zawindsurfa_za Member Posts: 1
    I consider myself one of the "golf generation" and love my 2006 Gti. But I'm so annoyed that car journalists everywhere are allowed to report that this car - and others - have "indetectable" turbo lag when that's a blatant lie. I waited patiently to trade my annoyingly bouncy, but beautifully powered Z4 for my new Gti two years after freinds across the pond had theirs, believing auto reports from both sides which said there's no more lag. What a crock. While the car behaves beautifully on the freeway and when under steam, getting it going in traffic is a bloody pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. I see a gap, floor the throttle and wait. The moment passes. I reach for the sat radio controls as a consolation. Maybe Oprah will entertain me...? Oh wait, suddenly the car has decided it wants to go somewhere - I guess that gap that no longer exists...? This is dangerous, slow down you beast.
    My last Gti was a 98 Mk3 4-cyl. So this is 8 years later, and what do I have? It cost 50% more. The seats are slightly less comfortable. In town driving is less easy and less fun, and while I can now overtake anything on Florida's freeways, that's hardly saying a lot. Oh, and fuel consumption is the same. Way to go VW. Seems you've spent 10 years working on airbags and sat radios. It's lucky your uncle made that Mk I when I was 16 and impressionable, and it doesn't surprise me that you're working on a redesign to this car 4 yrs ahead of schedule. I don't expect a Lamborghini for $25k, but this sure ain't going to win 16 year old converts for life.
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Well, if your last Gti was a 'Mk3 4-cyl, surely you've learned the (somewhat arcane) act of....downshifting?
  • Options
    So, if the GTI is so bad...

...why'd ya buy it?

You musta liked it more than any of the other cars out there, otherwise you wouldn't have parted with $25,000.

Or are you in the habit of paying $25,000 for things you don't like or want?

(If so, let me know. I'm sure I could find something you don't like for sale at $25,000. Like, maybe some pocket lint or a empty box of tissues or used motor oil...)

:P
  • Options
    carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    As the previous owner of 3 VW's, it doesn't surprise me. It is unfortunate. Hopefully, VW will do the right thing.
  • Options
    carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    Google away. Consumer reports, which bases it's reliability ratings on OWNER surveys has consistently rated VW as below average. Honda, MUCH BETTER THAN AVERAGE. :P
  • Options
    Think and read what you'd like. I know this - every car that I've owned is more reliable than 90% of the cars driving on the road today - I have the track record, and I can say this with 100% confidence. The fact that I put 250,000 miles (1975 Scirocco), 200,000 miles (1977 Datsun 280z), 624,000 miles (1987 Golf GT), 190,000 miles (current car - 1997 Jetta) and 85,000 miles (current car - 2003 Wolfsburg Jetta) are accomplishments that speak for themselves. I rely more on my mechanical, maintenance and troubleshooting skills than I do on some paid corporate automotive magazine.

What say you? Put your cards on the table, brother... :shades:
  • Options
    To me, driving a Honda (or Toyota for that matter) is the equivalent of submitting your form, checking in your identity, and becoming one of the masses. No thanks. I'd rather have a little less reliabilty and more soul instead of a reliable, souless Maytag appliance....

Chalk it up to the sad state of affairs today. People today have been reduced to a bunch of overly paranoid, scared rabbits who would rather take an extreme play-it-safe approach instead of just going out there and living life...
  • Options
    To me, identifying oneself by the brand of car they drive is the equivalent of submitting your form, checking your identity, and taking a blood oath that you've bought into the "You Are What You Drive" marketing hype long perpetuated by the auto manufacturers.

Chalk it up to a sad state of affairs today. People today have been reduced to unthinking, follow-the-leader lambs who would rather take an extreme play-it-safe approach and own a vehicle which they've been told enhances their image instead of just going out there, making the smartest decision, and living life unconcerned about what "they" think of them.

IMHO, obviously. ;-)
  • Options
    > Chalk it up to a sad state of affairs today. People today have been reduced to unthinking, follow-the-leader lambs who would rather take an extreme play-it-safe approach and own a vehicle which they've been told enhances their image instead of just going out there, making the smartest decision, and living life unconcerned about what "they" think of them.

Believe it or not, you and I are somewhat on the same page.

At my profession and income level, I could have given into the temptations of "yuppiedom" and bought a "cliche" car like an Audi, Acura, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, Porsche, Infiniti, etc. But to me they're a waste of money and tend to draw (what I consider to be) unwanted attention. And I didn't want to follow the crowd and go with what's "popular" whether its an SUV/big pickup truck from the Big 3, or by joining the "CamCord" crowd. I've been driving water cooled VWs before they were considered "hip" (starting with my 1975 Scirocco) - because I like driving them, so I definitely haven't bought into the "You are what you drive" marketing hype (I've worked with marketing types - reluctantly - and IMHO, most of them tend to be the biggest bunch of trendy, idealistic, clueless Barbie & Ken types). So needless to say I'm less likely to pay attention to propaganda from a group (necessary evil) that I basically despise...

...anyone who has known me personally (as a fiercely independent Libertarian type) will definitely tell you that I haven't submitted my form and checked in my identity. Quite the opposite, my friend... :shades:
  • Options
    jitteryjoe_246jitteryjoe_246 Member Posts: 49
    I grew up in a family that owned nothing but mopars since 1970. We've thankfully had good luck with all our vehicles which have suprisingly all last 10 years or more in the Buffalo weather. The first car I owned was a 2000 Chrysler Cirrus - I felt it had a good looking exterior, it was totally reliable, and it was cheap to operate and insure. By the numbers it was a great car, but wouldn't you know after the exitement of having a new car wore off ... I was bored. Too bad because I was planning on owning the car for many many more years. I found myself looking at car forums and reading about new models wishingly.

Well things changed when somebody broke into my car, stole it, and totaled it. Suddenly I was in the market for a new vehicle. I walked into a dodge and a chrysler dealership dutifully and looked at the models and just didn't see anything there for me. A strong family bond and legendary muscle cars just weren't enough to have me stick with mopar. I walked into a lot of dealerships: ford, mercury, honda, toyota, pontiac ... things started to go someplace when I went to mazda. The Mazda3 was a fun little ride, but it was pretty obvious that the higher end trim levels were still dressed up econoboxes. Right around this time the GTi ad campagn kicked up and brought the car to my attention. If you asked me about VW the week prior images of beetles, golfs, and cabrios came to mind. Sneer - not exactly the type of car I was interested in. However I took a chance and walked into a VW dealership. I mean what the heck.

So what sold me on the GTi was indeed the GTi ... certainly not my perceived notion of VW. Seven months later I'm still impressed every day by the amount of torque the car has. When I hit the gas to merge it can still catch me off guard at how quickly I accelerate to speed. I still smile when I have to drive someone and their first comment upon getting into the car is how nice the interior is (and I smile even more when they look for a place to hang onto). Best yet I still look forward to taking long drives.

In contrast my friend got a new honda civic EX w/ sunroof a week or two before I got the GTi. After he bought the Civic I took a look at it. I wasn't exactly impressed with the weird two tier instrument cluster, the oddly curved plastic piece over the radio, or the huge ac/vent nobs. Poking around I was dissapointed that none of the trim that looked like it could be metal was actually metal. Just glossy coated plastic. Overall I felt the car to be rather asexual on the inside. Two weeks later I show up in my GTi. Sure the car is rated as less of a 'value', gets worse mileage, and is perceived as being less reliable ... but after seeing the GTi my friend regrets getting the Civic. The civic makes sense on paper but it doesn't match the GTi in excitement or looks.

So lets say my friend holds out 5 years before he gets a new car. How much does he lose in depreciation on the civic? Certainly not as much as a domestic car, but he'll still be on the losing end of a trade in. Honda's and Toyota's may appeal to many people for their applaince like qualities (and probably these people are the majority of the population)... but they don't seem to appeal to many people who love to drive (unless they mod the heck out of them). It's not like my friend hates his civic now - but as he puts it "the car's fine". I don't want my car to be fine. I want it to be FUN!

So, while my friend drives his civic I enjoy my GTi!
  • Options
    davexpertdavexpert Member Posts: 9
    Hello! I bought my 07 GTI (Black, automatic, with Package 2 options) back in July. Love the car all the way. It seems I have the 18" rims with the summer performance tires. I am in St. Louis, MO... where we have winters, sometimes snow and ice, but not nearly as bad as our northern neighbors. Question: Do I need to get new tires on this thing before it gets cold/snowy/icy? If so, recommendations?

Also, as part of my options package... i'm supposed to have XM. But my radio console has not "SAT" button... instead it says "MIX" -- and does nothing when you press the MIX button in radio mode; it simply mixes the song playlist from the CDs in the changer. I'm guessing I didn't get satellite service, right? I'm not really wanting it anyway, but would like to leverage this ommission (if it is one) to get an iPod adaptor installed by my dealer.

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    jitteryjoe_246jitteryjoe_246 Member Posts: 49
    I've been looking into winter tires as well for my 17" rims. I live in DC and the winters aren't too bad (usually), but if we do get snow the roads take forever to clear. Summer tires have been described as "utterly worthless" in the snow, so all seasons sound like a good idea.

Go to www.tirerack.com to research tires in your tire size. They have user surveys on different types of tires and a breakdown of tire performance ratings. They have really good prices on tires, but you still need shipping and installation which adds up.

I'm probably going to order a set of Bridgestone Potenza G 009's (not sure they make them in the 18" size off the top of my head). Installation at my dealership is $20/tire which is decent. With shipping and installation the set will run about $625 ... the tire store down the street want 700 for the job. Best to shop around.
  • Options
    conallconall Member Posts: 91
    I know this is an old post, but no! You're not too old.
    I'm older than you by several years, and GTI is still on my short list.
    Btw - I've seen gray-haired men driving Corrado's in Germany (when they were new), too!
  • Options
    mvargo62mvargo62 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought 2007 GTI and need info. What is the phone button on the steering wheel for? I was told by the dealer it was for europeon market. I was also told that the car is "bluetooth ready" and I need to purchase the equipment. Do they mean I have to buy the Motorola BLNC kits? I do not want to have that unit on my dash...but if I have to I will. Thoughts?
  • Options
    fdg07fdg07 Member Posts: 14
    Which is better performance wise? Which one has better handling? I already know the 0 to 60 mph rating. Which would be the better buy and why? Any imputs appreciated!
  • Options
    go_snail_gogo_snail_go Member Posts: 6
    I finally have a chance to buy a new car. Current vehicle is a Honda CRV that will soon be my daughter&#146;s first car. Now it&#146;s time for Dad to play. What would you buy, or recommend buying, if you were in the <$30k market and had the following criteria.

4 door, automatic, decent mpg, reliable, comfortable/confident at 85+ mph, and FUN to drive

I&#146;m considering the GTI (4dr), GLI, S40, TSX, WRX, EVO IX, Accord V6, and Legacy GT. Your advice, experience, or opinion would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 9
    the cars which you motioned are very different in term of space, driving experience, transmission and handling.
    The Honda is the roomiest and although peppy is far from being fun to drive. It transmission is old (the 04 I drove had only 4 gears)and the driving quiet and not much involving the driver.
    The GTI and GLI are both fun to drive with great quality feel, but cramp in the back seat. If that not an issue it is a great buy. I heard on VW reliability issue, but I am driving Passat 07 for 6 months and so far Tfu Tfu...no issue (My Saab gave me much more headache). The downfalls here are mild power and lacking of 4 wheel drive.
    The WRX would have been my first choice for a combination of fun day to day practicability. However it is due to be replaced new year, plus Subaru could have done much better job on the interior design and quality and add 6 gears to be on par with its competition.
    The TSX is a great car with 6 speeds, better quality and reliability of the VW and together with full maintenance from the manufacture could be a great buy. I also heard that it is due to be replaced next year.

I will also look at the SAAB 9-3, great fun and by now they fixed all the SW glitches I have experienced back in 03. I will also look at Audi A4 and A3 especially when I heard that they are going to offer the Quattro also on the A3 2.0T (currently only on the 3.2L).

The Evo may be too rough for you and also due to be replaced soon. This is more for hardcore drivers who wish to forgo the convenient goodies and are ok with Spartan interior.
    The Legacy GT seems to me more marketing badge then a real serious sporty intention

I hope it helps
  • Options
    ashulman727ashulman727 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2006.
    I am pretty sure the phone button is worthless. I had read once that the deal with bluetooth fell through and it was never installed. I have an aftermarket Motorola.
  • Options
    ashulman727ashulman727 Member Posts: 21
    I also have the 18" wheels. I'm pretty sure I'm going to just get all-season tires and be done with the summer performance tires. From my research, summer performance are not only horrible on snow, they also are not as good in severe cold weather.

I'm not sure about your radio. Mine says SAT - we have the navigation so it may be a different setup.
  • Options
    nmrtnmrt Member Posts: 56
    Hello guys.

I own a 2005 1.8T GTI. While I love my car, I just happenned to test drive a 2006 2.0T GTI. These two cars, IMO, cant even be put on the same page. The 2.0T is that much better.

Do any of you know by how much, if at all, the 2007 2.0T GTIs suspension has been lowered by? I know the 2006 had it suspension raised to adhere to some pedestrian safety standards which lead to magazines bashing VW for distilling the GTIs handling capability. Then there was a rumor floating around that the 2007 GTIs were lowered by the factory. Is this true? Please clarify. Thanks.
  • Options
    troyflinttroyflint Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 4-door 2007 GTI with the standard 17" alloy wheels. I lusted after the 18" Hufeisen, but declined to order them for a number of reasons:

1) The dealer did not have cars in stock with that option
    2) The salesman indicated the 18" wheels would negatively impact ride quality to a substantial degree (probably a ploy to sell the car immediately, I realize)
    3) My long-term girlfriend thought they were garish (lame, I know)

In the end I caved, but am now suffering a serious case of buyer's remorse and thinking about rectifying the situation. So, I have two questions for the audience:

1. To those with 18" wheels, are you satisfied with the ride quality?

2. To those who have had both the 17" and the 18" wheels, what are the pro and cons of both?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Options
    2. To those who have had both the 17" and the 18" wheels, what are the pro and cons of both?

---

Well, first off, I hope you live in an area of the country that doesn't get any snow.

Mainly because the 18" wheels are summer performance tires only. Meaning that if you live anywhere that gets snow, you'll need to buy a separate set of snow tires for when the temperatures drop.

Summer performance tires do not handle well in snow or ice, not at all.

As for the 17" wheels, you can get the all-season tires stock, which means that they'll handle a lot better in snowy conditions.

As to ride quality, though, I really only noticed that the 18" wheels are a bit noisier than the 17" ones.

:shades:
  • Options
    Why not take a look within Edmunds reports and other VW/Audi sites doing reviews on the GTI and the similar A3?

When I did this, in every case, the cars with the 18" wheels have the harsher ride, but somewhat better handling on __smooth__ roads.

But anyway, If you have the space and budget, why not buy your desired set of 18" wheels and summer, performance tires? That way, when the weathers good, you can blitz the buyers remorse and drive the big rims. When weather gets bad, go back to the 17's, or (if you live in the snow belt) use the 17" as foundation for a good set of winter tires!
  • Options
    seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    Hi all. Long time member of the Townhall, but haven't posted here in awhile. Just purchased a 2007 5-door GTI. DSG equipped which is pretty interesting. I normally drive sticks, but the DSG is pretty cool. Hard part is not taking your foot off the gas while manually shifting. ;)
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Congratulations!!

I was at a VW dealer last month.... and sat in that model in the showroom.. Pretty loaded up.. Stickered at $27,XXX..

I didn't want to leave without it. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks Kyfdx.

So far a quick few pros and cons of this car.

Pros:
    1) Seats (cloth) comfort are great in my opinion. Supportive yet comfortable.
    2) Torque! The 2.0t has lots of low end torque. Car just scoots nicely. Wide powerband with this motor.
    3) DSG - As I mentioned before, I usually just drive sticks, but this tranny is great. Doesn't have the downside of slow/late shifts that a normal slushbox has and really puts the powerdown quickly and effectively.
    4) Ride. While it obviously isn't flat out tuned for the track, it is a nice mix of being able to hold the road without crashing over ever imperfection in the road. A very nice (and typically European in my opinion) mix of sport and comfort.

Cons:
    1) Back to the seats. Yes I know VW has used that quirky "wheel" on the side of the seat to adjust how far back the seat leans, but it is still less than ideal in my opinion. Say...oh just hypothetically...you're waiting for your wife to come back out of a store from shopping and you go to lean back the seat to nod off for a sec......you'll be there for a week getting the seat back and probably pick up carple tunnel while you're at it ;-)
    2) Stereo. All in all, pretty good unit, but could have just a little bit more low end. Just could use a wee more bottom end.
    3) Daytime running light configuration. The DRL's are the type that only turn on the headlights and not the tailights. I hate this configuration just because these are typically the cars you come up on at night or in a fog where they don't have any tailights on because the driver can see ahead and doesn't think to turn them on.

Obviously a short stint with the car so far, but those are a few pro's and con's (yes I know some of them are weird). Great car though and I really love it. Also, am I weird for liking the pattern of the cloth seats?
  • Options
    Oh, one other complaint would be that the steering could be a little more communicative. It is an electric setup, so I know feel isn't going to be as great as a traditional mechanical setup, but I do wish it gave a little more feedback.