Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• Options
    razortbrazortb Member Posts: 8
    Thanks vandam8 I rolled the dice N bought it anyways. :surprise: Just won't know how it behaves special ordered it from deutchland. gotta wait 3 months. talk to you then :shades:
  • Options
    timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    Does anyone know if the DRLs can be configured to NOT burn the xenons? I would have thought the DRLs would burn the smaller lights beside the xenons (the ones closer to the honeycomb grill).
  • Options
    shalynshalyn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 VW GTI. The other day I was driving and shifted to 4th from 3rd, all of a sudden there was a noise in the engine, like clinking. I took it to VW and they said that it through a Rod. Now...the car is only a couple of months old and very low miles. They say they won't cover it and now the warranty is gone. What should I do?
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    If it threw a rod, that is most definitely covered. Contact VW of America.
  • Options
    seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    unless you went from 4th to 1st instead of 3rd. That may at least be their contention.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I assumed he didn't do it but yeah if he did do something like that...he's in a world of hurt.
  • Options
    dma36777dma36777 Member Posts: 2
    You can try Wet Okole. The material is the same as wet suits used for diving. As for your leather seats, Zymol is one of the better products
  • Options
    allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    It is quite easy these days for dealer service personnel to tell whether and for how long you over-revved your engine (ECU stored codes), and whether you abused it in any other way (condition of tires, clutch, hot spots, etc. considering mileage).

If none of the above applies, your warranty is intact, and you can contact VWoA if you are not satisfied with the way the dealer is treating you.

From the few words you mentioned, I suspect prolonged over-revving without driver intervention, leading to massive failure --- which, by the way, is almost unheard of for MkV GTIs.
  • Options
    allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Am i making a mistake buying a 07 gti sounds like VW has issues with warranties and reliability?

No, MkV reliability is documented to be much better than any previous generation (in fact, comparable to the best, based on recent data). A few teething issues have been worked out, and you will be fine.

As with most sporty cars, there will always be "owners" that abuse their car and/or make modifications but don't "own up" when it comes down to vehicle problems caused by their ineptitude --- and VW like any other manufacturer has to make sure the cause of any significant failure is the vehicle, not you. Don't worry, they can tell the difference. And if you are not satisfied, you have recourse with VWoA. However, you should look for the best service place around, before you bring it in.
  • Options
    razortbrazortb Member Posts: 8
    Thanks!!! :shades: I feel alot better now. Doyou know where I or anyone for that matter can find dealer rankings for service?
  • Options
    ironsightsironsights Member Posts: 2
    Maybe one of you fellas can help me. I just bought a '03 GTI 1.8 5 speed, 1 owner, 35,056 miles. I took a test drive in a really nasty noreaster and the car handled beyond my expectations. (Avoiding tree limbs, livestock, Elvira Gultch and her bike etc....). The salesman tried to explain everything but drew a blank on a little plastic visor that flips down just above the rear view mirror. I checked the owners manual and the options booklet, but no dice. Now I know it does something...please fill in the blank!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    It blocks the sun.. just like the big visors..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    conallconall Member Posts: 91
    I was wondering how long it would take for someone to come up with that type of visor.
    Sun-blindness is a major safety issue in West Texas.
    Chalk one more up to the Germans.
    Obviously I haven't driven a new VW or Audi lately,
    just a Mazda and my son's Scion.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Murphy's Law in action...

The sun will come through whatever 1" section that isn't covered by the visor.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ironsightsironsights Member Posts: 2
    Man when I read your reply, I thought you were messing around but it makes sense. The car is engineered to utilize every bit of available space and I guess a little visor makes sense. Thanks! Now I can sleep. I originally thought that by flipping it down I'd eventually get a letter from someone in Kansas telling me to stop it.
  • Options
    Edmunds/Inside Line has posted a review of the new R32 version of the GTI

R32 Review
  • Options
    eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    while i wouldn't call it a 'version' of the gti specifically, i did think the review was nice.

i did find it strange that they went on about how it fits in a very small market segment and that many would find it hard to justify its price being what it is. The previous generation r32 was the same deal, but no one ever said anything like that. (and just like the r32, the lancer dervied evo is in the same boat, faster but less luxurious.)

i cant wait for a full test, i want to see some numbers. vw clamied a slower 0-60 for the mkIV r32 than it was capable of as well, and motor trend tried out a euro spec one (which was a heaver 4 door) and managed 5.8 seconds. and this one is supposed to be geared more aggresively. I want numbers!
  • Options
    To be honest, the V6 and AWD just doesn't interest me. Especially with all the weight it brings.
  • Options
    wfnaegelewfnaegele Member Posts: 10
    I noticed in Edmund's listing for the 2008 Rabbit, a power driver's seat is listed as standard equipment. Is this correct? That would seem to mean it will also be on the GTI...
  • Options
    poppysandalspoppysandals Member Posts: 1
    SunBurst was good to me...!

:blush:

imageimage

Sincerely,

Emperor Jedi Sir Christopher Alan Green Esquire/CoCo Chanel (Empress),
    Intergalactic Vampire Master Accountant/Hawthorne Boarding School Coptic Nurse.
    picbeer@yahoo.ca
  • Options
    eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    awesome pic!
  • Options
    96850glt96850glt Member Posts: 20
    My son's GTI's engine got a little too wet when I washed it, and now it won't start. I have dried all the ignition/plug/coil wires, I have taken the distributor cap off to make sure it was dry, i have dried all of the electrical connectors I could get to, and it will not start. I dried them all with a hair dryer. I am getting a spark, I can smell some fuel, but it will not even start and run roughly, as has happened in the past. I get a OBD II code of 1528. It's not in my Actron book. They say it's a dealer code. Any ideas. We were supposed to leave for FL tomorrow morning. I hope someone has some answers. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
  • Options
    Sorry folks, I got the code screwed up. Time-crunch induced dyslexia. It's really P1582-Idle Adaptation At Limit. It is a VW-specific OBD II code. I just tried a jump (from my other son's '00 Jetta), but still no joy. The battery was good before, but I was hoping a couple of extra volts would help, but it did not. I have Haynes manual for the car, but it does not address this particular code, or condition. Again, I can smell fuel, and my spark plug tester lights up when I crank the engine. the engine should be bone dry by now, 8 hours later. Help
  • Options
    conallconall Member Posts: 91
    I'm wondering if it could be a cold start valve problem, causing a flood condition.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your feedback. Once I got into it, I found severely worn plugs, and a broken breather hose, with good compression across all cylinders (150 (I should probably re-test this one), 160,157,155). I replaced all plugs/wires, new breather hose, shot some WD40 into the throttle body connector and then blew it out with air. The car started right up. I erased the 1582 code ran the car a little, shut it down and re-checked the OBD II codes. Glory Be! No codes, and a car that runs. Each of your suggestions will be printed and sent with my son to school, just in case.

Thanks again. This is a great sight.
  • Options
    clayhclayh Member Posts: 6
    Have a 07 Farenheit. Does anyone know if the computer display can be adjusted so the MPH displays?
    Also looking at installing OEM NAV. Anyone have experience with VAGNAVS ? :confuse:
  • Options
    extech2extech2 Member Posts: 120
    In September I spent a week driving 1,400 miles in our GTI, from Orange County, CA, to the mountains of Arizona and back. According to the onboard computer the average mpg was 27.6 and my own calculations showed 27.4 which to me is extremely accurate. This includes crawling on dirt roads, city driving without much traffic, cruising at 30-50 mph on country roads, and hitting the freeways at 75-80 mph. On two occasions I was able to test the GTI's top speed, and at redline it topped out at 131 and 133. The speed was verified by the Garmin GPS, not the car's instrument panel. From cruising at 85 the GTI gets up to its top speed relatively quickly, but I didn't check it with a stopwatch. The car feels rock solid at redline, there is no vibration or drama, just tracking straight without any problems. I believe the onboard computer was showing a gas consumption of 6-7 mpg at 133. On the miserable roads we have in California the car can be a bit of a punishment, but on the excellent Arizona roads it was very comfortable. Coming home after leaving Phoenix, around 3 PM the ambient temperature varied between 110 and 115 Fahrenheit. I was comfortable with the AC on the slowest fan speed, and while cruising at 75-80 the engine coolant temperature never moved over the normal mark. I carried a quart of Mobil 1 in the trunk but didn't open it, since the car didn't use a drop of oil yet. While driving it under many different circumstances, I never felt the need for more engine power, because the GTI shoots ahead regardless of what speed are you going. As for the handling, my driving skills aren't good enough to reach the limits of this car, but for my needs it has always been perfect. The way I see it this car has a transmission with four different personalities - DSG full auto; DSG auto in sport mode; DSG manual paddle shift, or DSG manual stick shift. Most of the time I leave it in DSG full auto, only using the paddle shifters occasionally.
    The car had about 800 miles on it before the trip and the onboard computer was reporting between 19 and 22 average mpg in heavy traffic, in city driving. Now, after this trip it shows between 20 and 25 mpg as average. I didn't get the GTI for superior gas mileage, so I'm quite satisfied.
    There are some contributors on this forum who feel very passionate about this car, and this was the main reason I checked it out at two dealerships. Before getting it I drove a dozen SUVs and a few hatchbacks which were all available for under $ 40,000. Remember, SUVs are basically four door hatchbacks with higher ground clearance. We need a hatchback mainly for our two dogs. The final runner ups were the Infinity FX 35 and the Acura RDX. Then I drove the GTI twice and leased the second car on the spot. I was hooked. I will report again in six months, but so far I have nothing but praise for the GTI. I had a great trip driving through that wonderful countryside in Arizona, but the highlight every morning was getting into the GTI again and again.
    There is an ongoing debate in these forums, comparing the Mazdaspeed and the Civic Si to the GTI. I've never driven the Mazdaspeed but I drove the non turbo Mazda 3 and the CX-7 and the CX-9 and they didn't turn me on; same thing for the current Civic Si and the one Honda made before. Our Accord would run circles around those cars in the hands of a really good driver. (Count me out). By the way after spending a week with the GTI I had to take our 3-year old V6 Honda Accord on a brief errand. It felt like my father's Oldsmobile.
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Great post, my '08 GTI grey 6spd snrf is arriving in 10 days, does anyone know where I can find a car cover for it?
  • Options
    Lots of places have em, this site will give you the differences between the types;
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp
  • Options
    j3studioj3studio Member Posts: 27
    Folks,

I'm looking for people's experiences driving their GTIs in the snow. We live in Pennsylvania and our current daily driver is an all-wheel drive sedan that wears Dunlop Winter Sport M3s in the winter. We're looking seriously at the 4-door GTI Mk V as a replacement, but my wife is concerned about reverting back from all-wheel drive to front wheel drive. If we got the GTI we would (of course) get good performance winter tires - Blizzaks or the new Dunlop Winter Sport 3D.

Please talk to me about how your GTI does in the snow ...
  • Options
    I'm currently awaiting the arrival of my '08 2dr GTI w/ summer tires. I obviously have not driven it in snow (and don't plan to) but I imagine it won't handle nearly as well as your AWD vehicle. As a matter of fact, it will probably handle similarly to my last high performance FWD car (Acura TL), not very well. Had 4 blizzaks on it and still got stuck.
  • Options
    j3studioj3studio Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for your feedback, upstatedoc.
  • Options
    chukkwchukkw Member Posts: 1
    Hi- just took delivery on an 03 1.8 turbo, (no owners manual yet), and have a warning light on the control panel. It's the outline of a circle, with a break in it, I think. Can anyone telll me what the light indicates? Thanks.
  • Options
    jwb18tjwb18t Member Posts: 45
    Wondering what your thoughts are regarding winter driving with the GTI. I would have snow tires mounted for the winter like I do on my 2 current vehicles(2007 Honda Ody and 1998 Honda CRV). My last VW/Audi vehicle was a 2003 VW Passat GLS Wagon and it handled very well. Any insight is appreciated.
  • Options
    Picked up my '08 2dr gray 6MT yesterday. Had an hour drive home, it felt like I was driving a fighter plane. Unfortunately it snowed 5" last night and I haven't driven it since.
  • Options
    Just curious, my '08 GTI has the summer tires (Continental Sport Conti's). What brand are the all seasons?
  • Options
    Dunlop 225/40R 18 92H,extra load,M&S on original rims, :)
  • Options
    Thanks Clay, are the 18 inchers the same as the 17's? (brand wise)
    BTW- Did you figure out if the MPH could be displayed in the center read out?
  • Options
    Don't know if VW uses same brand, I would expect so. The MPH can be displayed on center computer ONLY if you have auto climate control. For directions go to MY FSAT GTI.com
  • Options
    oops! I don't know where my brain is somedays, my summer tires are Bridgestone Potenzas. Where did I get Continentals from? Unfortunately, auto climate control was done away with for model year '08.
  • Options
    jdschajdscha Member Posts: 1
    I've recently bought a 2007 2-DR GTI which I have really enjoyed. I've been averaging 26 MPG combined mileage. I recently bought a chip that is supposed to increase the car's mileage and power. Is there any way that I could find out how to install this chip properly. Thanks for your help. This is by far the best VW I've had out of the 6 I've owned over the last 25 years. Great tracking, acceleration, and body integrity.
  • Options
    rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    Trying to decide which car I will buy to replace my 05 MINI Cooper S Cabrio. I will be driving this car daily about 70 miles, all highway, to and from work. Occasional snow but in reality if the roads are bad, my facility closes down. There is about a $10K difference between the 2 cars so I am having a hard time justifying the difference. I have driven several GTIs, manual and DSG, and really like the car. Have decided to go with the DSG. Have not driven the R32 mostly out of fear that I will love it and convince myself that I need it. I'd like to hear opinions from current GTI and R32 owners. Thanks.
  • Options
    Haven't driven the GTI recently due to poor weather but I could swear that one of the buttons on the steering wheel has a phone on it. Is that for bluetooth? Didn't see anything about that on the website. Haven't had a chance to look through the manual yet.
  • Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Yes and no :) It is for bluetooh everywhere else except in North America. VW didn't bring over the bluetooth option, but left the button. So it's useless. The little grates on the overhead console are useless too. That's where the microphone is supposed to go.
  • Options
    Thanks, I wonder if there is any way to rig it? Bluetooth would be extremely useful especially since I have the 6MT. I have one of those earpieces but they're a pain in the [non-permissible content removed].
  • Options
    I read in another forum (can't post the name here) that somebody got it working with a Parrot Kit and another adapter from another company. No idea how work intensive/expensive it was.
  • Options
    Doc,

How do I send you a private message?
  • Options
    upstatedoc@carspace.com
  • Options
    Message sent. Good luck.
  • Options
    does the GTI have more than one 12v power supply? I could only find one near the fake ashtray.