Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• robjc123robjc123 Member Posts: 30
    Yes I just got one this week, believe it or not Silver with Blk leather GTI GLX for 22,300 no CD. Will add CD once I get this baby in my hands. The dealership had reserved this car and it is in Boston awaiting inspection and then will be driven to me in RI. Price includes delivery and State emissions test. Don't pay list!
  • sivtecsivtec Member Posts: 8
    I own a 2000 GTI VR6 and often than not, when shifting into Reverse, the shifter vibrates and feels like it's grinding. I took it to the VW dealership, and they took an hour and said they fixed the problem. The minute I tried the Reverse gear, it made the same noise and the grinding feeling. The car only has 900 miles.

Does anybody else have this grinding in Reverse gear as well?

Is it a major problem that I need to address to the dealer again, or is it something we can live with?

Any response is appreciated. Thank you.

JW
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Take it back. Whenever you take any car to a dealer who says they've fixed the problem, only they haven't fixed the problem, take it back. Don't live with something someone was paid to fix, whether they were paid by you or by the manufacturer.

Can you tell I feel strongly about this?

carlady/host
  • horizon_007horizon_007 Member Posts: 6
    I recently purchased a brand new GTI GlX, loaded. I was originally going to buy another Saturn, but I needed loved the feel of the GTI... it felt more like a sports car than a hatch back, and the idea of a V6 was very appealing. I had the car for about a month, and found myself wanting to drive it more and more. It was the best drivers car I have ever own. However, I was foolish not to see that the car was trying to assisinate me. No joke. It was constantly sending me subliminal messages to press harder on the accelerator and take sharp corners at speeds up to 95.... err, the speed limit :) . However, one day the car decided to slip up on some loose gravel, and smack itself into a telephone pole. It has been one week since the accident, and I warn anyone thinking about getting a GTI... it is a seductive, fun, b***h. Buy a Honda or a Toyota... this little car is just too good for anyone.

P.S.- My new GTI comes in in three days! I can't wait!
  • ndancendance Member Posts: 323
    Could one of you folks explain what the
    advantage is of buying a GTI over a
    plain Golf with the turbo engine (I
    think that's available). Is there
    something different in terms of performance
    stuff (brakes, wheels/tires, etc.)?
    Or is it just trim and interior options.
    It seems to me that for the ~1500 dollar
    difference, you could buy good aftermarket
    swaybars, shocks, etc.
  • joeyjamjoeyjam Member Posts: 1
    GOTTA LOVE IT, HAD A 86 16V SCIROCCO AND NOW IVE HAD THE GOLFCART FOR 4 YEARS AND LOOKING MAYBE TO GO TO THE VR6 JETTA. ANYBODY ABLE TO SAY YAY OR NAY. IS IT AS FAST AS THE VR6 GOLF OUT OF THE BOX? JAM
  • tutoo7tutoo7 Member Posts: 10
    I currently own a gti 1.8T. Can someone tell me anyhting about the chip that you can add to the engine to enhance its performance. Does it void the warranty and exactly how much does it enhance the car. Thanx!
  • cinemafiacinemafia Member Posts: 57
    There are several companies that make performance chips, namely for the VW 1.8T, since it appears in standard form in the Golf GLS, Gti GLS, Jetta GLS, Passat GLS, and Audi A4 base model. It also appears in modified form in the Beetle GLX/Turbo and the Audi TT base model and the A3's in Europe.

The chip basically increases the amount of pressure the turbocharger is pumping, and varies from chip to chip. A basic chip increases stock horsepower from 150 to 180, another from 150 to about 200, and the best increases it to 225, although at this rate of pressure you'd better get a full cat-back performance exhaust to help things breathe.

Check out www.neuspeed.com, www.superchips.com, Wetterauer @ www.chip-tuning.com
  • jberg16jberg16 Member Posts: 4
    Hello all, I have a 2000 gti glx with 2000 miles on it now...and am wondering if anyone knows about exhaust upgrades....i want a little more noise and horsepower but dont want to look like a kid in a eclipse..ya know what i mean....

Secondly. the body roll in this car is too much...i am also interested in new suspension or atleast tweeking it alittle...anyone have infor on that?

Thirdly, for the people waiting for there car...get it the way you want it...your spending $23000/ get the car the way you want it... It took me 3 weeks to get my car from when i ordered it and i got it 1500 under sticker with a cd changer in it.

So if anyone has any ideas for exhaust or suspension and where to go for them please tell me. I live in Massachusetts
    Does the chip void the warranty?
  • judasjudas Member Posts: 217
    Yep, the chip will void the warranty faster than you can say fahrvergnugen. It will pretty much void the entire 10/100K powertrain warranty, although the 24K B to B (Everything but the powertrain) would/should be intact. The only other thing about the chip, I don't believe the chip that increases the power to 225 is intended for the stock turbo, to get that much power you should replace the KO3 turbo with a KO4. A KO4 and a chip will run around 1900 bucks from what I've seen.
  • jberg16jberg16 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any information on Neuspeed's cat back exhaust and airflow system for the gti vr6.

Does anyone have them in their car? Does it void the warranty?

ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE HELPFUL........PLEASE

THANKS
    When you open up the engine of a 1.8T engine what physical traits should distinguish it from the regular engine?
    Well, as far as #121 goes, I'm pretty sure it says 1.8 turbo on it somewhere, the others say 2.0. As far as the actual engine goes, I'd say the easiest way to tell them apart would be to look for the exhaust routing through the turbo.
    #120, exhaust *shouldn't* void your powertrain warranty, but if your dealer is a jerk they could sure try to. They could say pretty much any engine problems were due to the increased power the engine was making. They could also say any drivetrain problems were caused by the increased power. But both of those are stretching. I'd say most dealers would be okay with it, but I'd check first. I don't have any personal experience but from talking to some pretty hard core VW and VR6 people I've heard that there isn't a whole lot of power to be gained on the VR6 from exhaust and filter/intake systems, the factory ones are pretty well designed and flow pretty well.
  • mackie1604mackie1604 Member Posts: 1
    All the Dealerships I talk to in my area (seattle) say they won't take less then MSRP for the car. This is fully stock, no Changer or indash CD.

$23,145 is MSRP.

I found the Silver one I want. What do you think?
  • gtijonesgtijones Member Posts: 2
    I bought a silver GTI VR6 for 21,700 with a CD changer. Three dealers gave me the same "we only take MSRP" story, one even said I'd have to put my name on a waiting list with $1000 and they'd call me when one came in, but the 4th dealer I contacted over the internet put the reasonable 21.7K price in an e-mail and I called to set up a test drive. I test drove a black GTI and then they asked me what color I'd prefer. I said silver and they located one and had it shipped to the dealer. A week later I was driving off the lot in my GTI with 26 miles on it. No hassles. GTI's aren't that rare so don't let a dealer give you that bs about MSRP.
  • mpickupmpickup Member Posts: 1
    Why does VW have such a lousy warranty? Does anyone think the quality of the cars (specifically the GTI VR6) offsets the lack of a decent warranty?
    The 24K bumper to bumper is the price you pay for having the 100K mile powertrain warranty, although it would be nice if you could pick between a 36K B to B and what they currently offer.
  • johnny282johnny282 Member Posts: 34
    Hey everyone, Just wanted to check in, my sis just bought a Y2K jetta 1.8 last weekend, silver w/black leather, absolutely beautiful car (I can't wait to take it for a spin!) Anyhow, I'm really wanting a GTI 1.8 now, have any of you heard when the 2001s will be available? Or when the pricing will be released? I'm also wondering if the colors will change. If they offered the "reflex yellow" on a GTI I think I'd get it, otherwise it's flash red. Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone has heard or read anything. My local dealer said @ Sept time frame, any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
    j
  • alfaromeoalfaromeo Member Posts: 210
    Somewhere, I read that the 2001 GTIs will be offered with the option of ...six gears. Can anyone confirm this?
    Not in the US, as far as I know. I think you can or will be able to get a 6 speed 4 motion, but I don't really know much about it, seeing as how it's not offered in the US. What I really wish they would do is import the Audi S3 quattro 1.8T to the US.
    I agree... it's a really nice car! (I like the GTI 4-Motion a lot too).
    What annoys me is that the GTI's are a lot more pricey in the US and you don't even get all the 'cool' equipment! (like Recaro seats, for one, and proper speed rated tires for two!)
    Yeah, that does suck. If I could get a S3Q 1.8T here for around 22 or 23K USD I'd jump all over it.
  • cennis1cennis1 Member Posts: 31
    I bought a sliver 2000 GTI GLX in February. After shopping several local dealers and hearing that same old "limited production" BS I went to a couple of web sites that put local dealers in touch with you and make offers. Within 12 hours I heard from two dealers, one for $600 over invoice and the other $650 over. I drove home the next day in a silver GLX with tan leather. No hassels at all. Great car, aside from the soft suspension. My 91 GTI 16V had a nice suspension, but aside from that was really poorly made.
  • jangwoojangwoo Member Posts: 2
    Dear GTI'ers:
    One of my remote key for VW GTI-VR6 98 does not work. I changed batteries but no luck. I guess the remote needs to be programmed again(I guess so since I had similar experience with my Maxima 96, and after re-programming, it worked just fine.) Any one can help?
    pls e-mail to shinjw@erols.com
  • nautikernautiker Member Posts: 32
    I am getting ready to buy a silver 2000 GTI GLX VR6 within the month and wanted to know from those of you that have one if you have had ant problems reliability-wise with the VR6 engine overall. Obviously, there probably aren't too many miles that have been logged for a 2000 model year but any feedback will be appreciated. I have never owned a Volkswagen (let alone any European make of car)and am still a bit hesitant about overall reliability. I can't say enough about the car's performance, utility, fit and finish, and bang for the buck. Coming down to the wire and want to make sure it is everything I think it should be 20k miles down the road. . .
  • gchu2gchu2 Member Posts: 3
    I live in Massachusetts and i'm in the process for shopping for the best deal i can get for a glx. Because the 2001 model is coming out within the next month, i'm hoping i can get a bargain for the 2000 model. Can someone tell me how much they got their glx's for? which dealer i should contact? and how much should I be targeting for. I noticed that some of you said that you got yours for 1500 under sticker and some got quotes for 600 over invoice?... where can i find these dealers or internet contacts? Thanks !!
  • gchu2gchu2 Member Posts: 3
    Where are you getting these deals?
    Jberg16: which dealer in MA and who should I look for?
    Cennis1: which internet site did u get these those quotes from?

Thanks
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I got my GTI GLX for $1000 under MSRP at Quirk VW in Quincy. At the time, Bernardi, Wellesley, and Minuteman were not willing to deal. However, that was in August of last year, so things may have changed.

Decide what you want and what you are willing to spend. Then start calling around to dealers. I think you'll have better luck if you are making an offer on a car they have on the lot. If they have the car and you have your checkbook, then they really don't want to see you walk...

Jared
  • nautikernautiker Member Posts: 32
    I am the proud new owner of a 2000 GTI GLX in silver. With all of the research I have done over the past 3 months, my car-buying experience was effortless and pleasant. If I can make any suggestion to those of you who are looking for a 2000 GTI...get one soon! The 2001's are already arriving in this area and the dealers in this area are making decent deals on the 2000's. I got my GLX for $1k under msrp WITHOUT HAGGLING!! I had a decent down payment and pre-approved financing. I pick up the car this friday...can't wait to take some road trips asap. I wanted to thank those of you who posted their opinions. . .It helped me make my decision to spend $22k a lot easier. Wolke9 signing off. . .(Cloud 9 in German) Can you guess what's going to be on my plates. . .
  • cennis1cennis1 Member Posts: 31
    I used www.autoadvantage and www.autobytel and, as I have already said, had a very positive experience. Heard back within 12 hours and the dealer I went to honored the quote he had given me without trying any BS.
  • beveringhambeveringham Member Posts: 5
    I plan on purchasing either a 2000 GTI GLX or Honda Prelude within the next 2 weeks, just can't decide. I have driven the GTI, really like the VR6, but the Honda handles a little better. I am also aware that the 2001 GTI GLX will be out soon, can anyone tell me any difference between the 2000 vs 2001? I am also interested in knowing what the GTI has been purchased for, the best quote I have gotten is 22,200 + tax, tags.
    I plan on purchasing either a 2000 GTI GLX or Honda Prelude within the next 2 weeks, just can't decide. I have driven the GTI, really like the VR6, but the Honda handles a little better. I am also aware that the 2001 GTI GLX will be out soon, can anyone tell me any difference between the 2000 vs 2001? I am also interested in knowing what the GTI has been purchased for, the best quote I have gotten is 22,200 + tax, tags.
  • sentra20sersentra20ser Member Posts: 68
    I would get the GTI. It is much easier to make the GTI handle better. Plus the 2.2L VTEC is not nearly as fun as the VR6. I personally like the looks of a Prelude better, but the GTI will is not an ugly car either. I would consider a GTI GLS 1.8T. You can get it loaded with Leather for about $20,000. Then if you add a Neuspeed Chip ($500 and 24 more hp.), a set of Yokohama AVS Intermediate 205/60 R15's($500 mounted), and get a set of TOKICO 5-way adjustable struts($500). It will be better then both in handling and power.

PS: I was working with a salesman and he showed me how easy it swap the chip in and out for warranty work. What a great guy!!!!!
    I read posts from people wanting to buy 2000 gti models. In NJ, the models are very scarce now and we are a month away from the 2001 models. I would say 'watch out!' and don't end up paying more for a 2000 model!!!
    Noone knows of course whether prices will go up or down, but it's never good for a buyer when there are few cars to choose from, and I've heard that the 2001 cars are stacking up by the harborside...
  • cinemafiacinemafia Member Posts: 57
    I figured it would be easy to swap the 1.8T upgrade chip when taking it to teh dealer to do maintenance, the only think I was worried about was whether their diagnostic computers would be able to tell whether it was in or not? Hell, it's worth it either way! 190 hp would be so sweet...
  • quint3quint3 Member Posts: 20
    Definately, get the VW. The Prelude is an exercise in frustration. And I'm not just talking about the motor.
    I am getting the GTI, got it through my credit union buying service for 21,798 excluding tax. They don't have silver, but they said in 30 days the 2001's will be out. I have to check on that.
  • wicketkeeperwicketkeeper Member Posts: 22
    My check engine light came on last week accompanied by the "Emissions Workshop" message. The dealer replaced the O2 sensor but that did not work. Has anyone had the same situation? A friend said he thought the catalytic converter might be backing up.
  • vwgti2000vwgti2000 Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2000 silver GTI GLX and I have had the check engine light come on but in my car. My family we have the 2000 GTI,two 2000 Golf GL's,a 2000 Beetle GLX which we just picked up three weeks ago. Our black Golfs engine light came on @ 4k miles and the service people replaced a fuel pump relay, so 1k miles later, this past week it came on again in the same car and we brought it back to the dealer, they looked at it and they came to the conclusion that this time they had to replace a secondary air change-over valve.So of course they didnt have it in stock so hopefully this week they will have the part.2 CHECK engines on in 5k miles. Next we have our 2000 Beetle which we just picked up 3 weeks ago and yesterday at 1600 miles the check engine light came on another car with problems.Of course I will call tomorrow morning and make appointments for both cars and they will tell me make sure u remembered to "click" the gas cap otherwise the light will come on. But obviously it not the stupid gas cap.
    Unfortunately we are bring these 2 cars to a dealership that some how broke my windshield on my 2000 GTI GLX.Any other info on VW's reliablity would be greatly appreciatied.
    Thanks,
    An unhappy VW owner
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    I bought a 2001 GTI GLX this sunday and it's a great car. Paid 22,500 + Tax and tags. Mine is Reflex Silver with Black Leather...Mmmmmm. Here is my question though. Whenever the A/C is on, there is a high pitched whining sound coming from the engine. Is this normal?? It goes away when the clutch is engaged and when I turn the A/C off. Also, it seems that the Monsoon speakers make the door panels in the front vibrate when heavy bass is played. Is their any easy way to fix this?

- Anthony
  • iamcdniamcdn Member Posts: 2
    I am about to test drive a 2001 GLX in 2-4 weeks. From what I have heard up until now, there are a few modifications to the 2001MY. Granted, this has yet to be confirmed, but here goes: 1)Multifunctional Steering Wheel (radio control?) 2)Upgraded suspension (awaiting spec sheet)- after reading the open related topics, it appears that it is needed 3)17"Rims (no tyre data available). If anyone else out there has heard anything, please post.
    Thanx
  • hemant7hemant7 Member Posts: 9
    include:
    1) Steering wheel controls for radio volume & channel (also changes tracks if playing a CD)

2) Upgraded suspension which is stiffer and better than before but most enthusiasts will go for after market add-ons of they are racing.

3) optional 17" wheels are factory installed. Tires on these are Michelin Pilots 225/45s

I got a Silver one a week ago, one of ther first ones from the port.. Very nice!

Can someone post on the break-in regime?
    What maximum speed? Max revs? How many miles before break-in is over etc..
    Also anyone have info on when to change gears? i.e. preferred rpms?

Thanks.
    I just got a Silver/black 2001 GTI VR6 the past weekend, and I smile every time I drive it. The dealer told me that there wasn't a break in period for the engine. I guess it really doesn't matter since I bought the car with 120 miles on it. I usually shift under 3000 RPMs since the engine has plenty of torque. I did once rev it to 7000 RPMs while in 2nd gear...ZOOOOOM. I do wish that the VR6 had some more top end power, but it's ok. Do you have 17" wheels??? I couldn't find any dealers in my area that had the wheels. The dealer said that they wouldn't be out for a while (later in the year). Well I didn't have a car and I couldn't wait for them. I might just get some aftermarket 17s with summer tires. E-mail me if you want to...
    adg44@earthlink.net

- Anthony
  • hemant7hemant7 Member Posts: 9
    None of what I asked is in the manual.
    I was partly responding to iamcdn and thanks to adg44, I will be emailing you..
    Calm down. Take a deep breath. There you go. The manual has absolutely no information about break in or maximum safe speed in each gear? I doubt it. Every single manual I've ever seen has that info. If you can't figure out what RPM to shift at maybe you should have got an auto so you wouldn't have to decide for yourself.
    My Golf GTI manual has a 'guideline' as to how to drive during the break-in period. If I remember correctly, it stated that you should avoid driving at more than 75% of the top speedometer reading (which I think is 140mph) and to avoid high engine speeds (it does not specify the rpms limit) for the first 600 miles. The top speed limitation is really not an issue on American snail-speed highways...

Personally, I stayed mostly beneath 4000rpms (which really isn't a problem, given the high low end torque) and only after 1000 miles, I started revving up the engine (but never beyond 6000) every now and then. Made an early oil change at 1200...
    The manual also says that after a demanding drive, the turbo engine should be allowed to run in idle for some time (30s-a minute or so) in order to cool down.

This car and the engine is a blast to drive, and really smooth too when you're more in the mood to listen to a classical CD! In fifth, you rarely go beyond 4000rpm (can't remember exactly, but I think that yields about 80 mph or so).

Personally, I'm very happy about the choice of the 1.8 over the vr6. The difference in weight allows for comparable performances, and the handling on the 1.8t has been given better reviews.

I don't know if and when VW is going to bring over the 4-motion GTI (ca. 210bhp and 4-wheel drive). In Europe, the Vr6 was retired a couple of years ago and I believe that there is another engine (5 cyl - 150bhp) available on the 2-wheel drive GTI.
    In most reviews though, it was superseded by the 1.8t.
    A turbo timer, I think, is never a bad investment on any turbocharged car. They're not too expensive, but I'm not sure how hard they are to hook up, shouldn't be too bad though. Buys peace of mind, plus it's cool getting out of your car and locking it while it's still running knowing the timer will shut it off in a few minutes.
    On my 2001 GTI VR6, there is a knocking sound coming from the drivers side door/window. It really only happens over bumps and rough roads. Also, there is a rattle coming from the underside of the passenger seat. I moved the seat up (like someone is getting into the back) and you can hear the rattle whenever you move the seat around. It goes away when I put pressure on the seat belt latcher-thingy (do you know what I mean?? The thing you hook the seat belt into!) I tried tightening down the bolt that secures the latcher into place on the floorboard, but I really couldn't turn it anymore (I don't have the right tool). Does anyone else notice these??? Other than those two problems, the car is perfect!! Oh, the right front door panel vibrates and rattles whenever heavy bass is played. Is their an easy way to fix this?

I just got EBC Green Stuff front brake pads installed today. It really stops the car much faster, and they don't have any brake dust!! It's a great thing to get. The pads for the front run about 100 bucks, and 50 for the rear.

- Anthony
  • ataieataie Member Posts: 84
    currently have a 96 GTI (4 cylinder), and am looking to buy a 95 GTI VR6. any general comments on this model? also need to know if these have timing belt or chain?