Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW GTI (All styles)

1252627282931»

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    I actually drove the MINI (Cooper S, not clubman) and didn't love it. I was however very impressed with the Acura TSX.

When is the release date for the new GTI? Nobody knows?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    Thanks man!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ksteffey77ksteffey77 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, I have had this issue with every car I've owned, I drive a 2003 golf and it tends to do that also. It's pretty standard with most cars. I suggest instead of turning on your AC if you just switch it to cold it will let out cold air but if you have it set on heat it will blow out warmer air. At least that is what I've noticed. So whatever setting you had it on when previously driving it is probably the temperature you will feel when you drive it next, even if it is off. I am looking to get a new GTI, and aside from that small issue are there any other problems with its handling or just in general? I have been researching for about 4 months now to assure myself that I get a good, long lasting car.
  • ksteffey77ksteffey77 Member Posts: 2
    I've test driven both of those cars to see which was also better, I suggest the GTI in performance I'd say it beats the cooper. Just my personal preference the mini cooper s is not very quick and it has a slow 0-60 speed. It also seemed more cramped to me. I'd definitely go for the GTI and I hear that year of the GTI will be out by fall of this year? I could be wrong but that is just what I hear.
  • tabrantabran Member Posts: 6
    ksteffey77,
    Thanks for your reply--Glad to know it is a common issue. Only other issue I've had w/my 06' GTI was a starting problem which was fixed within a few months by a computer software upgrade. Otherwise it's been flawless and an absolute joy to drive. Couldn't recommend the car more highly...

Best regards,

T
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    I've had my '08 GTI 6MT for 19 mos and 12k miles (primarily a summer car) It is a joy to drive.
    What is not a joy:
    OEM summer Bridgestones fanning/feathering so bad (the noise) they had to be replaced at 8k miles, I would not get summer tires.

MPG counter went haywire shortly after purchase.

Plastic skid plate/rock guard protecting engine compartment just fell off at highway speed, I thought i ran over something but there was nothing in front of me on the highway. Haven't had it replaced.

Good little car with gobs of torque and still gets good gas mileage.

Oh, another negative, all the ricers want to race me. :P
  • flossitflossit Member Posts: 25
    did you rented the gti? where can i rent a gti before i buy one?
    How's your car doing?
    hi,

you have had your gti since 2008(saw your post), how's is it doing these days? i'm in the market of getting a late (very late)2009 gti. any major problems with your car at all?

thank you
    hi ghetdo,

what was the trick in getting the price below invoice? what did you say? also, what do you think about this deal?

DSG
    4 doors
    premium radio
    18 "
    tinted windows

is it fair to negotiate it for OTD $$23,000 ? his offer was for $24,152 without TTL & Dealer Fee . What should I say to get it for $23,000??
    THank you for any input from anyone.
  • buffy22buffy22 Member Posts: 10
    Im looking at on 06 new gti manual hatchback that only has 8100 miles on it..?!!
    The dealer price is around $19,000. TMV on edmunds is more like $12000.
    Autocheck has it listed as a fleet, rental or lease car.
    Does this sound like a good deal..if I can get the dealer down in price?
    Im set to test drive this week.
    Thanks
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    For $12,000? Yeah, it would be a fair deal. For $19,000, no, total rip-off.
    Most dealers / sales people are SHARKS. DON'T BUY IT !! that's not a FAIR price. I understand that they have to make some money from customers , however that price is NOT A FAIR DEAL.
    I thought $19000 was too high..for that I may as well buy a new car!
    I will show them the edmunds TMV..see what happens.
    I go in on friday..thanks for the input :D
    Becareful going back in. It just shows them that you REALLY want this car and that you are "sweating" them. Go in there with a solid goal (price) in your mind and if they don't budge then GET UP AND WALK OUT , PERIOD. :D
    I will do that. So far I have only looked at the car from the outside when they were closed. There has only been email contact.
    Well, the dealer won't budge on the price *at all*..in fact is now trying to re-direct me to an 07 Rabbit which is less $. Any thoughts? Is the Rabbit as good a car? He says the Rabbit and the Jetta are basically the same just different style...??????
  • madmanmoomadmanmoo Member Posts: 2,039
    I would personally find another dealership and get educated on the prices of the vehicles you are looking at. Check out autotrader for similar year/mile combinations and see what they are going for. Do some homework and you will be pleased that you aren't completely ignorant when talking with the dealers.

Good luck.
    I have been doing my research..just looking for opinions here. Im going to take a break from car shopping for a bit. Thanks all.
  • bfluegiebfluegie Member Posts: 21
    I am in the market for a new MP3 player. My 08 GTI has an iPod adapter in the armrest. I was searching by player features, and I have seen a Sony player that seems to be a better buy than the iPod nano ($60 less for equivalent storage, similar other features). My question is, can you get the full functionality in browsing the folders of the player for anything other than the iPod? The Sony doesn't have a dock adapter, just the USB. Just wondering what works, and how others like their choices.

Thanks!
  • bc6152bc6152 Member Posts: 3
    I checked the owner's manual but could find no reference to mounting a front license tag on my 2006 GTI. Has anyone done this? If so, where can it be mounted?
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Did you move from a non-front-license-plate state to a front-license-plate state? My front plate was mounted dead center on the front bumper. Is yours the 1.8 or 2.0L engine? (mid year change)
  • bc6152bc6152 Member Posts: 3
    I have to replace the driver's side Xenon bulb in the headlight. I called my local dealer and was quoted a price of $216.00 for the bulb. One bulb. I removed the bad bulb, went on Ebay, and got the exact replacement - a Phillips D2S 85122 - for $40.00. I thought that the VW was a "peoples car". Not many people I know can afford $216.00 for a headlight bulb. Ridiculous and the last VW I'll buy.
    I've had my '06 GTI for a year and love it but am looking at the Mazda2 for it's gas economy. I have not test driven one yet..can anyone tell me what the differences are? Good/bad etc?
  • roadmaster45roadmaster45 Member Posts: 13
    Hello everyone close to purchasing a GTI Autobahn model for my son our concern is if there is any difference when some one has to enter the back seat of 2 door model between the cloth version or leather seats mainly concerned about the seat belt on how to clear it out of the way for passenger. It seems a little flimsy on the cloth model was just wondering if same set up for the leather version with the control for seat belt. thanks for any info you can pass along
    Roadmaster45
  • psyevolutionpsyevolution Member Posts: 26
    did u buy gti for ur son finally . cuz i am think to buy one 2.. i found that many people lease gti than buying one... btw, what is the price ur paid if u bought it.. with tax,, (exclude title, etc...)
  • tsarheld1tsarheld1 Member Posts: 4
    are there any forums for the Mazda 2????
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    The Mazda2 is way-way smaller than the 2006 GTI, as an alternative might I suggest a new Golf TDI.
  • mitchell24mitchell24 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 BMW 330ci, with 64,700 miles on it, in excellent condition. After it sits in the hot sun for many hours, when I start it, the "red" driver-side headlamp warning light is on(but the headlights works fine). I can get the "red" warning light to go off by switching the dial to turn the lights off/on back and forth a few times. I think there might be an "electrical short" in the lightswitch, but my mechanic says that is not possible, and everything is okay, what do you think?
  • turboman007turboman007 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between a 2013 GTI or a 2013 GLI. They both seem to have good qualities, and I was just wondering if there are any real differences between the two besides body style? Any advice or suggestions are welcome!
  • gtidudegtidude Member Posts: 1
    Hey Turboman007, they are both really great cars. I'm sure you will be happy with whichever one you choose. I would personally recommend the GTI because it is more sporty, if that's what you're looking for... I feel like it has the edge when it comes to handling and taking corners fast. But the GLI is a great compromise for anyone who may not like the hatchback style of the GTI. Check out viewmywheels.com They have a lot of great videos on both models. Hope this helps, good luck with your choice!!!
  • dotty1dotty1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a GTI last year, loved it but beware any models with timing chains. the chains can stretch with normal wear and it is a known problem. Users report having the timing chain fail when less than 50000 miles are on the clock. Buyer beware the cost of replacing this is extremely expensive and in my experience VW will not show goodwill.
  • mtnbikerva1mtnbikerva1 Member Posts: 1
    Is there a best model year GTI? Reliability, comfort, performance, handling, braking, cost, ease of modifying performance/handling,not too low for speed bumps, etc. How about the interior stuff like seats, stereo, etc. I think the 2010 on are lower vs my 2007? How much of a problem is this for potholes, speed bumps, etc.?

My 2007 DSG GTI was totaled Fri.
    I am looking for a replacement car. I like hatchbacks for everyday functionality. It will be my only car. I like DSG because there will be times I am injured and not able to drive a stick. Also traffic here is BAD. I have had manual vehicles until I bought my brand new GTI.
    I was able to put my bicycles in the hatch and pull a small motorcycle trailer.
    I had 17 inch wheels and would not go larger because I drive on a lot of rough roads.
    I liked the MPG, yet performance.
    I am open to other vehicles.
    Thank you.
  • cocopupucocopupu Member Posts: 7
    I am researching golfs too and have found a lot of good info on a the tdi club website. They talk about other models as well as tdi. Not looking for used so haven't paid too much attention to posts on earlier models. The next models 2014 and 2015 may be assembled in mexico and many posts regarding this. Preference is german assembled gti's and tdi's. Much mention of 2013 special edition gti the wolfsburg and the driver's edition. The wolfsburg is built in wolfsburg. May find these special editions at discounts right now.
  • conallconall Member Posts: 91

The new Mk.VII is the best since the Mk.II
    By Mk.II, I mean the '92 2.0 16V.