Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70

Comments

• howeem98howeem98 Member Posts: 5
    Seems to me that the high turbo is a lot of fun if you live in a rural area and aren't stuck in traffic alot. I like getting my body pushed back into the comfortable seat. But in my limited test drives on the '00 convertible automatic, it seems it's sluggish until maybe 35 MPH- approximately when you get out of first gear. Since I live in a city and spend a decent amount of time in traffic or stop and go on the highway, does the low turbo make sense? I'm leaning toward it. It strikes me as being less fun but also less aggravating.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yeah, that makes some sense to me...I only recall driving one Saab turbo automatic, a '93 I think and it was pretty doggy off the line.
  • c702000c702000 Member Posts: 39
    The low pressure get's full torque at 1800 rpm, so for around town driving it really pull say from 20 to about 85 mph. considering the price difference, there is a enough power to enjoy. If you have to have all the power,check out ipdusa.com, the have a computer chip to boost the power and it's a lot cheaper than buying the high pressure. The last 2 years I have driven the s70 GLT (low pressure) and enjoy the quick power at the low end. Give the car a test drive,think you to will be surprised.
  • ish1ish1 Member Posts: 3
    Nice jab on the M3 - a very fast sardine can whose body style is, oh, 8+ years old???? Whose engineers keep stuffing things into it to keep it current with federal guidelines??? Not for me, thanks. Yep, I conceed nimbleness and 0-60 times to the M. BUT, Comfort and cabin size rule in my C70, the cabin is refined and elegant, and the car just looks better. By the way, Bjorn_1, just as an afterthought, Which car would you rather get into an accident in????
  • petrus36petrus36 Member Posts: 20
    I bought my new C70 LT convertible on Halloween. I took a totally loaded 99 in the champagne color with the graphite leather interior. It has every bell and whistle. I am so thrilled with this car. I live in So. Cal and the weather is still cooperating for convertible driving. I have been up to Santa Barbara, down to Malibu and all around town. Everywhere I go people are commenting on what a gorgeous, sexy car it is. The sound system is amazing, and I must say the comfort level is the best I have ever found. I am thrilled with my purchase, not to mention they gave me $9000 off the sticker cause they wanted to rid themselves of 99's. If anyone wants the specifics, please e-mail me. I leased it.
  • kramerskramers Member Posts: 1
    Found access and egress to the rear seat a near impossible task, movement of the passenger seat fwd a tedious task. Then a squeeze pass the passenger seat to the real. Even worst on the drivers side. BMW has got the market on access/egress to rear seats for the coupe market. Once seated found head room lacking, I'm 5'8" and head brushed the headliner, a 6'er would have a stiff neck in a big hurry. Other than that a great car, good colors, spacious trunk, well appointed, noted turbo lag, but that's what you get with a turbo. Number 2 on my list of Coupes in similar market/price range, (MB, BMW, SAAB, Audi, etc.).
  • mcohenmcohen Member Posts: 21
    I need to replace my tires of my C-70. Does anyone reccomend a set? The Michillen Pilots are $240 each and was wondering if there is anything better or a little less expensive.
  • gbc70gbc70 Member Posts: 1
    Power, luxury, sportiness you name it , it has it!
    I have owned Bmw Bavaria, 733i, 2002Tii, 850, Porsche 914 2.0 5 speed, Mercedes 450 SL. The C70 is more powerful, more luxurious and just more fun than any of them. Though I do hate the rear access
    power seat feature, just plain dumb.

For those considering the BMW 3 or even 5 series car, drive the C70 HT, I think you will agree it is roomier and peppier and less spartan.

My family ( me , m y wife, 13 yo girl, 9 yo boy) drove up and down the Maine coast for 8 days and loved it!
  • aegiraegir Member Posts: 2
    I got my C70 in June of 1998. It is mystic silver and has had 2 problems a rear window seal which needed replacement and a 3 CD changer which ate my CD and needed to be replaced.
    Otherwise this is the best coupe on the market. It looks great it gets solid fuel milage ~26mpg and the sound system and interior can't be beat. The M3 is a tired design, CLK has a year wait and no manual transmission (how about marketing to drivers not poseurs mercedes?) and I would never buy another japanese car even with a gun to my head.
    I drove it from Long Island to San Diego and it was a blast all the way across including the steep hills in the rockies. The turbo is seamless and is amazing at 65 when you want to pass or accelerate in a hurry-Bang you are at 90mph. It also can blow a mustang off the line at a stoplight and handles the high sierra in the winter great. The roofracks are engineered beautifully-the easiest installation I have ever owned and work with all thule accessories. Plus with all the MORONs on the road these days you can feel reassured you will come out unscathed if someone hits you.
  • benny2benny2 Member Posts: 3
    For performance/track enthusiasts I can send or post a report on my track practice at Laguna Seca Nov. 24 with the MR2 Club. The C70 did pretty well on the track except for its weight. Definitely not a sports car and little odd with the front wheel drive compared with my MR2. Got my lap times a few seconds better than my usual MR2 times, but several seconds slower than the good sports cars. If there's interest, I'll post or send the report.
  • petrus36petrus36 Member Posts: 20
    Has anyone noticed that when the radio is on that it sounds much better in the stereo mode then in the dolby/pro logic mode?? Why is this?? I would think that dolby/pro logic mode would enhance rather then detract from the sound, but in my car in that mode the radio is horrible and all weighted to the front speakers.
  • dominicdominic Member Posts: 8
    I am seriously considering a C70 Convertible with a stick shift (Hi-pressure turbo). For those of you who own one of these - was it difficult to find a C70 with a stick? My local dealer has 3 automatics.
  • jcarpijcarpi Member Posts: 17
    I too had difficulty finding a C70 with manual. I finally ordered mine (hardtop) on the TDS program and picked it up in Sweden. I have driven it now here in the states for two months, and love it. The shift is responsive, the drive is smooth and fast. I have the HT, and have all the power I could ever want, plus the luxury of a comfortable 4-seater. Yes, the rear-entry system is a pain, but I don't carry 3 adults that often. I heard that Volvo will be making only 1500 of the C70s in the hardtop this year. Good luck finding one in a stick shift, if you get one, you'll love it.
  • deborahhdeborahh Member Posts: 1
    hi,is the following price a good
    one for C70 Convertible;High Pressure,heated
    seats, traction control, 17" wheels,automatic,
    $42,615.
    thanks.
  • jefflkjefflk Member Posts: 2
    The invoice price for the car is $44,495. I just got my C70 convertible, HPT, manual, leather, 17" wheels, heated seats for about $1500 over invoice. Then added in transport, advertising, luxury tax. $42,615 seems too good to be true but I know the automatics are available and the manuals are just about non existant. When I got mine I was told there were only 2 manuals in the country. Volvo seems to be really downplaying the C70. If I'd ordered it it would have taken 3 to 4 months to get it. I've had mine a week and I love it. I can't wait until the breakin period is over.
    deborahh To get a good idea of C70 prices for new and used,about 100 listings, check out http://www.classifieds2000.com/ and search for Volvo C70. I order a new 2000, delivery this month. Think the newer ones will be a lot better built, they have had time to work and develope the new plant and people.
    best of luck tom
  • sage540sage540 Member Posts: 1
    What should I pay on a 36 month lease with leather, sunroof, 5-spoke wheels and upgraded stereo. $3000 out of pocket ot start? I was quoted $500/month tax in.

Help
  • vortechcobra99vortechcobra99 Member Posts: 1
    Go to wwwcarsdirect.com they have a loan and lease caculator for every car
  • bchbum2002bchbum2002 Member Posts: 1
    I have the HT C70 and love it. I have no problems tooling around in traffic or on the open road. If you have the cash, get the HT, if not the LT is plenty good. By the time I added the options for a LT it cost as much as the HT, because everything is standard on the HT. I found I get better acceleration when I don't put the pedal to the floor, if I keep it up just a bit, I don't know if this a turbo trait or not, and the lag is not as bad, you just have to get a feel on how to work it. As for the stereo question, check the owners manual, after you pop out the bass and treble buttons you can pull them out further, this adjusts the surround sound to the rear speakers. Lets see, where can I drive to tomorrow....
  • QX498QX498 Member Posts: 9
    Hello
    Has anyone had any problems finding tires for there 98 C70ht. I went to my local tire place and they said that the tires that are on my car which are michelin pilot mmx3 are out of stock every where for the next 3 months. The tire sizes i have on right know are 225-45-zr17. Since they don't have the michelin i was forced into buying more tires of a different brand so they will match. Any body have any troubles like this or what tires are you using on you C70
    Thanks
  • mcohenmcohen Member Posts: 21
    I just got a set of 4 tires for my car. I got the Dunlop 9000 (I think). They should not wear out as much as the Michelin Pilots. I went to Sears and tey installed them for a total of $900 (inlcuding Ca tax). It's expensive, but you can't find many tires for the C70. I had the same tire size as you... 17x245x45.

Ohh, make sure all 4 tires are the same. Don't mix and match...
  • QX498QX498 Member Posts: 9
    Thank you mcohen
    for the quick post.
    Yes the pilots do were out fast. I went with the pirelli p7000 hopfullt they will be a little bit better.
    Thanks again
    Rob
  • ccarterccarter Member Posts: 4
    I got the Nokian tires for ice and snow. I love them. I actually got wheels too so I don't have to do anything but change the whole thing and I am ready for low profile summer tires.
    About 825.00 was my total charge. There is a web site for these tires they are made in Finland. We have snow and ice and I drive most everyday and I get around fine.
  • rchandlerrchandler Member Posts: 4
    I just replaced tires on my '98 HT and had problems finding the same size the car came with from the factory. Tire store told me it was a very "odd ball" size. So, I went with Michelin Pilots 235x40x17. Great performing tires, but I seem to hear significantly more "tire hum" now then before. Other negative, the Pilots are very expensive...$240 a pop.
    I'm about to buy a C70 convertible on the overseas plan with the mystic silver exterior. The dealer says there's a $350 fee for metallic paint for anything except black, white and red. I've never seen the fee listed on MSRPs on cars in the showroom. Is this unique to the overseas program??
    I'm curious about what lease rates people have gotten on the convertible - money factors, residuals, lease origination fees, and the end buyout or return fees - in the past month (interest rates have been going up in general lately, so I figure more than a month ago is outdated). I've already got the cap cost worked out. Any response would be appareciated.
  • rchandlerrchandler Member Posts: 4
    I don't know about the overseas delivery program, but I have a mystic silver also and there was NO additional fee involved...maybe it's just a way of pumping the profit a bit...kinda like $350 for undercoating. By the way...as to my earlier tire info...the tires I purchased were size 235x45x17, not "40's". Sorry for the bad info......
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Volvo is charging for metallic paint now (like Mercedes and others) in the North American market as well as for European delivery.

-rdo
    russell.ollie@usa.net
  • formulatorformulator Member Posts: 1
    Well, I have finally taken the plunge and decided to move away from my pride and joy my fully spoilt BMW 328i coupe....yes.....you guessed it.....tomorrow at 02:30pm I'm expecting the dealer transporter to be dropping off my new shiny black Volvo C70 T5!

A little apprehensive at this time as I have enjoyed the rock solid ride of my Beemer for two years now....and I have heard that the C70 T5 has a couple of weak points!

1) the Turbo lag is pretty bad.....well I am hoping that a chip replacement might eliminate or reduce this problem. Has anyone experienced what a chipped T5 is like....does it reduce/eliminate turbo lag??

2) Getting power down through the front wheel drive can be a little hairy in the wet (which we have a lot of here in the UK). But then again my Beemer is hairy on 'just wetted' roads when my right foot is in a heavy mood! I guess in the US wet road driving is not as frequent as here in the UK! Does anyone have any experience of the driving characteristics of the car when driven hard?.... (I felt that the dealership wouldn't have approved of my 'cloggin' it in the demonstrator car...so I refrained from giving it too much 'welly')

Back to the topic.....metallic paint has always been an extra charge on new cars here in the UK....and black paint like my new one. Cost of each is $676 and $346 respectively! Quite why black should cost more is beyond me!!!

Colours available in the UK market are:-
    Polar White (no cost)
    Classic Red (no cost)
    Black Stone ($345)
    Nautic Blue Pearl ($676)
    Dark Olive Pearl ($676)
    Turquoise Pearl ($676)
    Silver Metallic ($676)
    Dark Grey Pearl ($676)
    Saffron Pearl ($676)
    Cassis Pearl ($676)
    Desert Wind Pearl ($676)
    Moondust Pearl ($676)
    Venetian Red Pearl ($676)
    (All these are from the UK May 1999 brochure)

I'm not sure if you get all these colours in the US...but it would be interesting to know if you do or not??

Cheers to you all

Fun driving! :-)
  • benny2benny2 Member Posts: 3
    For a report of my day at Laguna Seca, send an e mail and I'll forward a report on my track day. Worked the C70 hard and got steady 2:04 lap times. Despite full IPD suspension, chip/exhaust, and 18" HRE wheel upgrades, the car is pretty heavy and does have turbo lag. Hard to keep up with the sports cars entering corners and accelerating out. But I'm sure this is the first time a C70 ran Laguna Seca. e mail: bchien@ucsd.edu. (My MR2 is the better track car.)
  • mlm3mlm3 Member Posts: 2
    Visited a few dealers on Long Island in NY and the two leasing agents they seem to use are either Volvo or Chase. They are all for 12K miles/yr. Volvo had a 39/mnth w/58% residual and 35.5MF. I received two Chase quotes. The first was a 36/mnth w/60% residual and 34MF. The second was a 39/mnth w/58% residual and 32MF. I have not tried to negotiate these further yet but the sales people claim their is no room. I would like to hear back from anyone that was able to move these numbers and by how much.
    Regards
  • john274john274 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in a C70 LT but keeping my options
    open on the 328. It seems like every car I have
    looked at has the upgrade stereo. Is it worth the
    money? Does anyone have the standard stereo & how
    does it sound? Do all stereo installations have
    the speaker in the dash? Is traction control worth
    the $550? One concern I have about this car is that it is not selling well & I can see the company stopping production leaving us with a white elephant for resale. Any comments?
    I bought a new 2000 (red) C70 LT with options 17 wheels (worth the extra)leather,sun roof and wood dash (wife idea). The stero sound great (added the 6 cd changer)do not think it's worth the extra money to upgrade. Traction control, in Florida I fine little use for this option to justify the extra money. I order the 2000 because for the first two years, they had to train production people, open a new factory and build a new designed car. By now I think they have worked out most all of the early production problems and it's really a S70 with different skin. I have own the 850, 850 glt and the S70, and have had no problems, so the design is good and proven. I fine for the money, the LT is a good buy and you will have a car that not many people have. I to thought about the BMW, but it's been the same style for years. I now have 1,400 miles on mine and please with my decision.
    Good Luck
    Tom
  • howeemhoweem Member Posts: 1
    I got a lease quote in LA in early 1/00 of 57% and 50% for 12K miles at 3 and 4 years. The residual, when multiplied by 2400, came out to 8.68%. The salesman also said there'd be a $650 loan origination fee, which is about $150 or $250 too high. So my quote wasn't so great.
  • jwsandersjwsanders Member Posts: 2
    First, I'm mechanically challenged and blonde. Hope that's not being too redundant. Now the other problem.
    Last November I bought a C70 LT Convertible. It's a great car with the exception of a high pitched sound coming from, what I'm told by the local dealer, "timing gear". It's especially irritating when driving passed structures which causes the sound bounces off the walls. Now the Dealr's main mechanic says that each Volvo has their own unique noise and that this is just a little louder but normal. I can't believe that a sound like this is normal in a $40+ car.
    So you non-mechanical challenged people puleez let me have you ideas on the problem and let me know what you think I should do. Thank you.
    Mechanically challenged in Tarpon Springs. :-) Jack
    Regarding post #205:

1) Arrange to test drive another C70 convertible from off the dealers lot for comparison. If one can't be found drive the low-pressure C70 coupe as the engines are the same.

2) If they don't sound the same, insist that the dealership fix the problem. Also make sure you keep a paper trail of the times you have asked the dealer to address the problem. If they hesitate for a moment don't feel bad about taking your service business to another Volvo dealer if that's an option. If it isn't tell your dealer you want a meeting with the regional representative the next time he or she comes into the dealership (typically every 2 weeks or so).

Good luck.

-rdo
    russell.ollie@usa.net
  • jwsandersjwsanders Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for responding to my problem. I'll be at the dealers this weekend to test drive a new C70 Convertible with the chief salesman. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks a bunch. Jack
  • andreww1andreww1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering the 236hp c70. I'm used to all-wheel-drive so the change to FWD is going to be tough. The alternative is the Audi S4. What problems has anyone had that I should ask my Dealer about? I know I will need traction control in the Colorado snow but what other options have you found to be good/bad? Is the intermittent wiper setting really only one setting or is it rain sensing? I can't find out for sure. It seems very comfortable-does that continue for long trips?
    Thanks for your help......
  • ghurtadoghurtado Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a used 1999 c70 LT with 12K miles. It came with the Leather & Sun Roof package along with heated seats, STC and Standard audio system. The car is in mint condition. However, my previous car was 1998 s90 (Lease) with all the toys with no heated seats. My issue is the s90 had the premium audio system and the C70 does not. I've checked with my local volvo dealer and they recommend that I replace the existing sc-81x (60 Watt) radio and upgrade to the sc-901 (100 Watt) which has 3 CDs in dash. These cost is about $900. According, to volvo the new radio would replace the old unit with NO need to upgrade the original factory installed SPEAKERS. My question: Has anyone does this kind of radio upgrade and did the original speaker system actually deliver the high quality sound you expected? Please advise. Thanks, George
    Regarding post #209:

ghurtado, the SC901 option on your car is a Dolby Pro-logic surround sound setup and has some of the best speakers available for a car anywhere (DynAudio). If your dealer told you there is no need to upgrade speakers they either don't know what they're talking about or they are simply trying to be cheap by giving you the better head unit without the actual components of the better system. At a minimum they would have to add the center channel speaker which sits on top of the dash. Also, the SC901 option on this car is a 400-watt system, not 100. Have a look at the options for this car on the Volvo website so you can go in armed with info. when you speak to your dealer again.

Good luck.

Thanks.

-rdo
    russell.ollie@usa.net
  • ghurtadoghurtado Member Posts: 3
    Rollie,

Thanks for the helpful advise. I Check the Volvo website and contacted Volvo USA Customer Service. They looked into my Audio Upgrade issue for my 1999 c70 and confirmed that SC901 radio is correct upgrade for the existing sc-816 radio. The 1999 c70 comes with 12 (DynAudio) speakers. However, they too were not to sure if a speaker upgrade was required and suggested that I contact a local dealer to check what is included with such an upgrade.

Thanks,
    George
  • bad_roobad_roo Member Posts: 3
    Anybody agree with my views? I wrote this for The Times in the UK after going on the C70 Convertible launch...

VOLVO C70 CONVERTIBLE

"Your car parked in front of the villa, peacefully resting with the top down, after making love to miles and miles of winding country road in the hot sun." Perhaps this excerpt from the Volvo C70 Convertible's press kit explained the car's languorous air. Had it been tempted to roll over and nod off, I was reassured that ROPS, the roll over protection system would spring forth in order to maintain cranial integrity. Suitably heartened by this, and with "the paintwork almost shivering with lust, seduced by the last rays of the sun," I finally got to drive the car.

Having been on sale in America for some time now, the C70 Convertible has been promised a European launch for at least eighteen months, but production bottlenecks at Volvo's Uddevalla plant had delayed this. With processes suitably streamlined, 350 cars will be made available to British buyers this year, 200 of which are already spoken for. The hiatus in supply has allowed the car to be further developed and refined, and torsional rigidity is much improved to levels which will have BMW drivers squinting in envy into their vibrating rear view mirrors as the bluff corporate grille hoves into view. Volvo's design director, Peter Horbury, draws attention to the barchetta look with tapering bonnet and boot, and the horseshoe shape of the passenger area. It now seems a long time since he commented that with the C70, Volvo had finally kept the toy but thrown away the box. Unlike most toy cars, however, this one looks curiously undersized in the rear wheel department, and even with the larger 17 inch items fitted, there is a blandly flat area of stylistic bloat between wheel arch and window line.

The C70 Convertible will come in two guises, the light pressure 2.4 litre variant, and the tyre shredding T5. Most buyers are expected to opt for the 2.4, and it was this model I chose to drive. The square, vaguely cack-handed interior will reassure most existing Volvo owners that the rightful place for design sexiness is where it can't be seen by the driver. Sprouting from the centre of the dash in place of the satellite navigation system is a speaker of unspeakable ugliness, resembling a half buried pill box, one of ten that comprise the astonishingly competent Dolby surround sound stereo system. The seats are superb, soft yet supportive and electrically adjustable to allow meagre access to the otherwise spacious rear. Whilst lacking the feelgood factor of VW-Audi interiors, there is an expensive solidity and quaint lack of aesthetic concern that serves to reinforce the C70's niche.

Steering, gearchange and pedals all have a somnolent lightness of touch, devoid of any great feel. The ride is serene, making the road surface an abstract concept and handling limits are best left unexplored. The engine and manual gearbox combination feel like a bad automatic, due in no small part to tardy pickup, but with the automatic box, the C70 is transformed into a car no longer trying to appeal in any way to sporting enthusiasts. It's a sedate, middle aged, vaguely stylish tool in which to waft about appreciating the stereo, the sunshine and the subtle composure of the cosseting ride. Genuine faults are few. The glass rear window is set too high, creating an insufficient view of items close at hand, the boot is small and awkwardly shaped, and the hugely bulky steering wheel obscures many of the instruments. With ten-second electric hoods now the industry standard, the thirty-second Volvo operation seems appropriately dignified, with the six motors taking care of proceedings without recourse to manual clip or tonneau, before adjusting the stereo to best suit the new acoustic environment.

Whilst undoubtedly a classy performer, the C70 Convertible lacks a certain devilment, an impish touch to the design or execution that fires the imagination. It appeals on a self satisfied, overfed, bouffant level that will have ladies of a certain age queuing in mild anticipation, and will no doubt be seen making love to mile after mile of Brent Cross multi-storey ramps. It's a superior offering to Saab's 9-3 Convertible, but for genuine fun and a car built with passion, the Alfa GTV Spyder is a car that genuinely shivers with lust albeit over every bump and in every corner. As Volvo becomes swallowed into the Ford mainstream, the C70 Convertible's place as a final unalloyed piece of Swedish eccentricity is guaranteed. The world is a duller place without oddball Swedish offerings, and for that reason alone it deserves to succeed.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hey, sounds like my description of a Jaguar!But who could argue? Volvo buyers don't want too many surprises or too much of an edge, and the car does not offend in either category IMO.
  • HolliwoodHolliwood Member Posts: 46
    I think it was the HT, it was loaded as far as I could tell, except for the 5 spoke wheels. Everyone is right about the seat comfort, it was the most comfortable car I'vr ever ridden! But, it was out of my price range, I was quoted a 36mon/12K lease of $714!!! Get real it ain't worth all that!

Volvo needs to subsidize their leases, I hear the C70 is not selling well anyway. Is this true?

I'll probably get a BMW.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well the sales story is a little of both limited production and slow sales. Volvo can produce as many C70s as they can S70s, but they aren't selling all they COULD build either. Great car, just not enough interest in a 2-door Volvo. A full 70% of Volvo's world wide business is get ready.....wagons!

M
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Line 2 about should have read "Volvo CAN'T produce".

M
  • odeanodean Member Posts: 1
    Carsteve,

Really? Point me in the direction of that dealership! No kidding I'm shopping and the best quote I'm getting is about $3000 off MSRP. Would love to know the area where you are seeing such advertising. That's worth a plane ticket. Feel free to e-mail me directly: phillori@aol.com
  • carstevecarsteve Member Posts: 4
    odean,
    I live in Los Angeles. Area dealers have been consistently running ads in the LA Times regarding those discounts on the C70 convertibles. There are Volvo dealerships in Pasadena, Thousand Oaks, Santa Monica, Calabasas, and a few more. You could start with these. There is also another named Bozzani Volvo just outside LA, I think Covina. I heard they deal too. Good luck!
    carsteve
  • dolamitedolamite Member Posts: 8
    I have been researching numerous cars as a replacement for my current 1996 Geo Prizm for the last year. Since I purchased the car (which was new) I have longed for something with style, performance, and creature comfort. I'm sure you're thinking...a Geo?! Ha-Ha. You're right, BUT at the same time I have realized that this Corolla-clone was the BEST financial decision I have ever made...short of DELL stock a few years ago. Considering the current fuel crunch, I continue to gloat when I get 35MPG to the gallon. Lastly, my maintenance expenses have been virtually non-existent on this car. The only maintenance: tire replacement, new battery, blinker fuses, and brake pads.

Getting to the point.....I am somewhat torn between the BMW 323Ci and a Volvo C70LT coupe. I am considering both cars for the same reasons: performance, safety history, fuel economy, good reviews from consumers and the press, a price-point within my budget, and most of the creature comforts I desire. My concern is that the C70 will be a car that will not retain value similar to a BMW 323Ci. The dilemma is in local BMW dealerships selling cars for full sticker due to a strong local economy/demand (Austin, TX) yet Volvo dealers offering anything on the lot for 2% over invoice before any negotiating. My other considerations would be the MB CLK320 (mostly out of price range), Lexus SC300 (aging model soon to be re-done), or a SAAB.

Every time I see a C70 coupe, which is rarely (both a good and bad element) I am taken by the looks. But at the same time I think to myself....it’s a Volvo. Aren’t Volvos for soccer moms, accountant dads, and their hippie-children when they turn 16?

From what I have read on this board, owners are pleased with their C70s for reasons including: AWESOME sound system, some of the most comfortable seats in ANY car, backseat comfort, styling, performance, etc. What are the downfalls of C70LT coupe ownership? My desired car would include: leather & sunroof package, five-spoke wheels, premium audio upgrade, and wood trim. Should I consider anything else or exclude an item like the wood? Would the dark gray interior best compliment a black exterior?
  • carstevecarsteve Member Posts: 4
    dolamite,
    It seems we have similar tastes. I have been salivating over the C70 since its inception. For me the only obstacle is cost. Currently I drive a 97 Maxima SE. It is a very quick car, but I am also yearning for something a bit more stylish.
    I am also considering the new 2001 Acura CL-S. I suggest you look at it, and take it out for a spin. I think you will be pleasantly surprised, especially the price as compared to the C70 and BMW.
    I have one on order, and will most likely get one. I live in LA, and Volvo dealers havent been moving too much on the price of the C70 coupe. Although the Acura CL-S is selling at MSRP. They are very hot right now and most are sold prior to dealer delivery. However, a fullt loaded CL-S with a nvigation system stickers for 32K - about 9K less than the C70HT.
    Regarding color, I like the tan or light gray interior with a black car (the CL-S does not offer a light gray as a choice). This is obviously a personal preference issue. Regarding resale, I think the Volvo will have poor resale value, unfortunately. As for BMW's, the dealers are too snobby for my tastes. They are good cars, but usually poor lease programs. Good luck on your decision.
    -carsteve