Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Toyota Celica GTS

14567810»

Comments

• 6speedwoows6speedwoows Member Posts: 1
    i have and after research so do alot other people have a blown up 00 celica gts. these cars have a transmition problem wich toyota is not willing to adress 2nd has no syncros so the shift from 3rd to 4th could be your last when you accidently get 2nd. i strongly reccomend that if you are looking at the celica steer clear of the 6 speed modle untill toyota can fix this problem. i plan to file a law suite and if any of you would like info please e-mail me at jshuntx2@aol.com p.s. if you have a gts 6 speed and have not blown it up good for you i do not need to hear that i do not know how to drive chances are i am a better driver than you. and you someday will miss that shift garanteed.
  • bcloughbclough Member Posts: 97
    My dealer called, and says that he has found a red Celica with no spoiler! It is sufficiently far away that it'd have to be trucked in. I am amazed. I will go over tomorrow and look at the paperwork (they faxed him the window stickers) and see what results. Wish me luck!

Brenda
  • roadroachroadroach Member Posts: 131
    I'm curious: was the build-date on your car before or after 1/1/00?

Did you get 2nd by accident on an upshift (3rd to 2nd instead of 3rd to 4th) or on a downshift (5th to 2nd instead of 5th to 4th)?

I have noticed that if I try to hurry the shift and don't get it right, the shifter is a little balky. But I can TELL that it is balky and don't release the clutch. So yes, I have missed my shift, several times, but I have always been able to tell when it is not in the right gear so I haven't done any damage.

Sorry to hear about your car.
  • aim9aim9 Member Posts: 9
    Brenda-let us know how it comes out with the car; I'll send you the MN info if you need it. The number is at my office.

Sorry about your 6 spd, Woos. The spring mod in Jan 2000 seems to work in mine, but one does have to be careful.
    aim9
    Well, I did it -- put a deposit down. The car has been lingering on some lot since June, and is the only spoiler-less Celica in a six-state area. It is a 2000, too. I assume it was one of the really stripped-down models that they advertise in the papers, to draw in customers who can then be seduced by the sunroof and spoiler and alloy wheels. It is a GT automatic, and the only option it has is the floor mats and power windows. I am in a weak position, since they know I want a car of this type and it is the only one. OTOH, they aren't in such great shape either, since if I don't buy it nobody will, and the 2001s are already on the lot. It will also have rather a few miles on the clock for a new car, since they will drive it here. I am thinking $18K would be a nice opening offer for it. Opinions?

Brenda
    What a help you are, roadroach. To get this car for under $18K would make my day. And the salesman told me it was cheaper to drive it here than to truck it in (I assume because it is so far out of the way).

Brenda
  • coupe2001coupe2001 Member Posts: 100
    Brenda, I hope im wrong about this, but if you put down a deposit on a dealer trade that normally starts the buying process. Meaning that they are retrieving the car for you and that you have agreed on a price. As an ex-salesman, if you had no grievance over the window sticker then I would assume that you are paying full price. I would think that the dealership would have got you to sign a buyers order for the vehicle when they toke your deposit. That buyers order would have the exact price you are going to pay for the vehicle. This dealership sounds like it is poorly run.

The celi will be driven to your dealership. Dealerships do not haul vehicles back and fourth on trucks. They usually get a couple of retired individuals to go get it.

Before you sign anything, take a good look at the paint. Vehicles that sit on the lot for several months without washing can develope severe acid rain damage. My wife had a Contour DX'ed from another dealership and after we toke delivery of it we notice the clearcoat was peeling away. They had to repaint the whole car. :(
    coupe2001, I didn't see the window sticker. I saw nothing with any prices on it at all. The salesman agreed that it was unreasonable to buy a vehicle without seeing it, and that if I didn't want the car after I saw it I would get my deposit back. So I assume we will discuss price after the car arrives here. I will certainly inspect the paint job carefully, though -- thanks for the tip.

Brenda
    Brenda, you are in great shape! You definitely have the upper hand. I see you in a celica very soon!
    Well, we shall see, coupe2001. I can easily imagine all kinds of disasters yet to occur. (A momentary distraction by the courier driver as he passes a semi on the interstate would do it!) But at the moment it looks good! They figure it'll take a week or so to get the car here, so nothing's going to happen for several days.

Brenda
  • anonymiseanonymise Member Posts: 10
    Anyone know about how much it will cost, or where to gt the parts, to add intake and exhaust to move the torque curve up on a new Celica?
  • 00gts00gts Member Posts: 42
    Check out http://www.PHROnline.com. They have just about every aftermarket performance part for the new Celica. They have some of the lowest prices out there, too!
  • sergeissergeis Member Posts: 134
    Someone listed 0-60 times and mentioned that GT auto was not timed. I have timed my GT auto. It makes it in 8.3-8.7 seconds.
    I did it! Today I bought the only spoiler-less Celica in the mid-Atlantic. I paid $17,660, which was $200 over invoice. I feel unbearably smug, but in fact this was the 'internet' price.

The car had only 200 miles on the clock, which is just about the distance from my dealer to Virginia Beach, its first home. Apparently this was the car that starred in the newspaper advertisements, their no-options low-ball car. Nobody was ever interested enough to even drive it. And as a 2000 model, it was definitely Cinderella. Luckily, I am the only buyer in a six-state radius who wants a car just like that.

My daughter immediately programmed all the radio buttons and tried out the CD player. It did not skip, but you wouldn't expect a player to skip sitting parked in a garage. Tomorrow I will try out on the road. The only problem with the car at this moment is that the passenger-side speaker has conked out. I will start a little list of minor fixes, for them to deal with under the warranty. (This is why I wanted a -new- car.)

Brenda
  • roadroachroadroach Member Posts: 131
    Congrats! I hope you have a long, happy relationship with your car.

Are you sure about the right-side speaker? Check the balance on the radio.....
    It seems to be an intermittent fault, since the crackly noise went away today and hasn't come back. Also the CD player is fine, and does not skip at all. It is a very solid and secure car, and fun! I've never had a car that makes people turn to look before.

Brenda
  • dedav8trdedav8tr Member Posts: 1
    Mine has over 10,100 miles on it since June and have driven from Connecticut to San Francisco (hot weather and cold), through deserts and mountain passes...and it runs like a top. It really is a great car. Average around 33mpg at 80mph. City driving is much less around 25mpg.

I have a GTS 6spd non sunroofed '00...probably the only one that exists. So for those of you who want that special order car, it can be done. It took mine 4 months and 2 weeks to get. I'm tall 6'5" so I couldn't fit in one with a sunroof (sunroof takes 2 inches off the head height).

My recommendation (after much research) is the GT-S 6 speed manual. It's got the control of a GREAT shifting gear box (with short throws) and the exhilerating pull of the variable valve. In regards to the tight gears--shift properly using good technique and noting mph for each gear shift, you won't have any problems.

Yes the stereo has gotten a bad rap. But the dealers will replace it in a heart beat...they are aware. So no big deal (takes about 2 weeks).

It really is a great car and I love mine. By far the best bang for the buck and reliability to boot.

Dennis
    I've never had a car that makes teenaged boys turn and stare before. My daughter wants to ride in it all the time, the better to make her classmates envious. (I have already told her she will never drive it.)

Brenda
    You got exactly what you wanted and a great deal to boot! Fast too! I'm jealous...
    I don't think it would have been possible without my dealer's energetic scouring around in the region, coupe2001. I ran a search on both carpoint.com and a couple other car-search sites, and nothing turned up.

Brenda
  • khenriksenkhenriksen Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 GTS white, cloth, 15K miles, excellent condx that I need to sell. $20K firm. I will deliver free in a 250 mile radius of Chicago. Anybody looking for a rocket car ??
    Why are you selling it, khenriksen?

Brenda
  • jamesho95123jamesho95123 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I have been searching everywhere for Euro / Alteeza Style tail lights for the 2000 Celica. You can easily find these nice tail lights on civics and accords. Do they exist for the 2000 Celica? If yes, where can I buy them? Thanks!
  • khenriksenkhenriksen Member Posts: 4
    The GTS is my wifes car and she wants to buy an MR2 Spyder. The 6-speed trans and the computer have both been replaced and she has had the GTS since new, around March of this year. I put ~8K miles on it this summer when we went from Chicago to Seattle, down PCH to LA, then back thru Vegas, Cripple Creek, etc. I may try eBay if I get no response here ( I bought a perfect 87 RX7 Turbo last June and it really worked out well ). It was a great trip thru the mountains, really a great road car. BTW, I have changed the oil every 1500 miles and the filter every other change. The trans started grinding when downshifting into 4th, and the check engine light kept coming on, giving a misfire code, even tho it never seemed to misfire to me !!
  • kwrohrerkwrohrer Member Posts: 11
    once or twice. It went away by the next day.

I did hear that the radio is just wired in somehow rather than using a plug connection. I don't know the details, but I wonder if the skipping and the crackling could be mechanical problems with the electrical connection? It would certainly explain why they never managed to figure out why my radios didn't work...
    Mine seems to work fine. Whatever the problem in the right speaker was, it's gone and I can't make it come back. I ought to get a cassette tape in, to be sure that part works right. This is such a fun car to drive!

Brenda
  • lesterinindylesterinindy Member Posts: 6
    Just an update for all those fortunate people out there that own a 2000 Celica. I just noticed that I have turned 7500 miles on the car and have had no trouble (except for the fabric on the drivers seat, which was replaced by the Dealer). As I was driving in this morning I noticed that after 7 months of having the car, I still find it a real kick to drive. One thing that is a requirement in any ownership of this car is a radar detector. Can't remember how many times it has saved me from a ticket. I also can not remember when I have had a car the after 6 months is more appealing to me than when I bought it.
    I do have a question. I'm a volunteer firefighter and have been know to have my turnout gear on (pants) when I am driving the car to a run. Is there a place out there that has an nice set of seat covers for sale. The ones I put on the car do not look all that good and I am afraid of picking up material snags (the car is leased). Any suggestions. Also has anyone put a subwoofer in theirs, if so what is a good one to get (that will fit and wire up). Lester in Indy
  • feather_feather_ Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for the Celica Gt-S. For anyone out there that has one with the E-shift and sunroof, how much did you get yours for and what are your payments?? I have 7500 to put down on it, i need my payments around $250/month after 60 months. Can I make it?
    Heather, I calculated a GTS with your options at 500 over invoice and a payment of 278/month at 7.5 % APR. The problem will be finding a GTS with Auto and Sunroof only. Most GTS rides have more equipment, spoiler, ABS, allot of E-shifts have leather.
    Being price conscious, you should consider insurance cost too. I found that a GTS was gonna cost me almost 3 times the cost of the GT. That's why I ordered a GT.
    Don't blame you for wanting the GTS, that E-shift is cool!
    Do the insurance people count Celicas as sports cars?

Brenda
    They are considered as Sub-Compacts. As with any model though, anytime you put more power to the pavement, it's gonna cost ya. I think the GT is a great car for insurance cost, but the GTS is way overpriced. I guess that's why their is such a big difference.
    The gasoline issue was one of the deciding factors for me between a GT and a GTS. I just cannot stand the idea of buying premium gasoline.

Brenda
    My salesman said that my 2K1 Red Celica GT was built, but residing in Japan awaiting shipment. They don't know yet how it will be before it gets here. No tracking # yet. It took'em 7 weeks for assembly, so 3 weeks for shipment?

H BARK- Maybe yours will be on the same boat.
  • desertlilydesertlily Member Posts: 15
    Hi, everybody....glad you're happy, Brenda! I'm still trying to find my GT. Went through Autobytel, this time. I'll let you know if that helps. Every sales person has a different set of prices and lies......I feel like I'm buying illegal drugs, instead of a car.....see yah!
    Oh dear, desertlily, the search is indeed a long one. It ought not to be so difficult!
    My husband and I took the Celica on an overnight trip into the countryside, and it was great fun. Just big enough for two.

Brenda
  • aullrichaullrich Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 GTS, run it on regular gasoline and have no problems doing so. What is the issue about premium or regular in the GTS? I have had lots of other problems with this vehicle: coolant leak and having to have the lower shelf block replaced, coolant lines had to be bled to eliminate gurgle, lots of vibration noises above rear view mirror, on driver's side and passenger's side and dead stereo speakers on driver's side. The speakers were dead no matter how you adjusted the balance. Love the car but be aware that it can have problems.
  • 00gts00gts Member Posts: 42
    You should use premium in the GT-S. The owner's manual says using lower octane gas could lead to engine knocking and eventually engine damage. If you don't hear any knocking sounds when driving, I'd say keep using regular (against my better judgement). The only other negative is a reduction in engine performance. If you don't really push you engine, you may not notice it, but I'd hope since you spent the extra $$$ on a GT-S, you'd be using those 40 extra horses!

The vibration noise above the rearview mirror is most likely coming from the space in between the dome light and moonroof (assuming you have one). It's from one of the wires from the moonroof vibrating in the small space up there. There was a technical service bulletin released to Toyota dealerships about this problem, so you can pretty much go to your dealership and tell them to fix it.

There was also a TSB about the vibration in the doors. It's just the plastic door panel vibrating against the metal part of the door. Your dealership should also be able to fix this problem. My dealership is full of idiots, so I fixed it myself!
    Is there a way to get a look at the Technical Service Bulletins?

Brenda
  • marktestmarktest Member Posts: 43
    aullrich - the choice is up to you, but since you paid the extra money for the GTS you should consider paying the price for the premium fuel - I'd hate to see you prematurely damage the engine and find out you voided the warranty.

The higher octane in premium fuel prevents it from pre-detonating under pressure. The GTS engine runs an 11.5:1 compression ratio which results in about 230 psig pressure in the cylinder during the compression stroke. This high pressure results in increased temperature which can result in the fuel igniting while the piston is still in it's compression stroke.

This early ignition puts a large amount of stress on the engine and typically results in pitting the pistons and damage to the head gasket. If you hear a sound like marbles rattling around in your engine, then your experiencing engine knock and doing damage to the engine.

Of course if you have a problem and Toyota determines that you've not been using at least 91 octane, your warranty will most likely be declared void. The old saying - you can pay me now or pay me later.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    So as not to intimidate new readers or to stress our software, I've started a new, Part II, topic so we can continue our conversation.

carlady/host
This discussion has been closed.