Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus - Part III

mznmzn Member Posts: 727
edited March 2014 in Ford
The beat goes on... To read previous news, views,
and experience with the ZX3 Ford Focus hatchback,
please click here.

carlady/host

Comments

• mp10mp10 Member Posts: 103
    This afternoon at 1:00 pm I called the Sales Manager at my dealership and said it was Day 14 (hint: Lemon Law comes into effect on Day 15). At 5:00 pm I got the call that my car was ready and I could come and pick it up. I asked the Service guy where the power steering pump had mysteriously appeared from and he said, "I can't say..." I said, "Come on, you took it out of another car, didn't you?" He said, "MY LIPS ARE SEALED." I said, "You cannabalized another car, didn't you?" and he said, "WE'VE CANNABALIZED *THREE* FOCUS FOR PARTS!!!!" Basically, folks, we've bought a foreign car that you can't get parts for - just like the old days of owning a foreign car. They may have to take the parts out for cars that have mechanical failure and that are under warranty like mine, but if you've had an accident, or a deer attacks your car, the dealership may not feel so compelled.
  • clayman1clayman1 Member Posts: 41
    2) It makes a REAR THUMPING NOISE over rough
    pavement. Does anyone else notice this????

Yes!, I only hear a rear noise when it is wet. I believe this was addressed in earlier posts. Someone suggested using a sealer in the wheel wells to quiet the noise.
    On my ZX3 it sounds kinda like a bell being struck.
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    To mp10 and all:
    Was talking to dealer about this problem this evening and he said that Big Shots at FordMoCo are addressing and working on this problem.. Your dealers should have a special Focus Parts phone number to work with. Said they would even shut down assembly line to pull part off line and get it into system.

Interesting note though: Where I work we are becoming "ISO" certified. One of the problems is that the "ISO" consultants don't want us to keep parts for our vehicles in stock. They claim it is not cost effective. Better to cannabalize another company vehicle which is being serviced and waiting for a different part than to have the parts on the shelf. This is in the Heavy Truck Transportation Industry. So I wonder is Ford is listening to some "ISO" consultant type?

At least you are back on the road and not in a Nissan Sentra rental anymore. My Sentra is on the market if you really liked your rental that much.

Love my new Focus!

Pat
  • projectzx3projectzx3 Member Posts: 256
    wish they would do it for me. coming up on 2 months now. going to call ford today.
  • briand789briand789 Member Posts: 49
    A good friend of mine is a Volkswagen/Audi mechanic, and I can tell you that "the good old days" of not being able to get parts for foreign cars are by no means over. They are constantly taking apart cars for parts. In fact, I know at least once they had to dissect parts from a $70,000 A8. I'm not saying it's a good thing to do, but it's not uncommon with "foreign" cars that are selling better than expected.
    i just got off the phone with my dealer's bodyshop. our ZX3 went into the paint shop this morning! they told me she should be sitting in our driveway by weeks end. don't get me wrong but considering how difficult and long a wait its been, i'll believe it when i walk out our front door and see it there. here's a question maybe some of you can answer. i am confident the work will be more than satisfactory. my dealership's bodyshop has an outstanding reputation around here for the quality of work they do. however, is there anything we should look for when we inspect the car? it was the bumper, grill, hood, left fender and both headlights that were replaced. should i pay by credit card (in case of problems it can be arbitrated) or just cut the check? i'll be so glad when this is behind us. oh and as far as the tranny issue we are still waiting for ford's top engineer to get back to us. will be sure to let you all know asap. thanks
  • alf3alf3 Member Posts: 83
    ProjectZX3 - with all the problems you've had, I'd say that paying by credit card is the ONLY way to go!!!
  • mich9139mich9139 Member Posts: 24
    you have to charge it. checks are almost as good as cash. at least with your charge you have some "insurance." i know i made a not so nice reference to you getting your car back earlier, but i'm very happy for you. on a related note, does anyone knoe if those deer warnings (look like little black horns) actually work? i imagine you could stash them in the grill, and no one would even see them. sounds like you focus owners need all the help you can get with those deer.
    mich9139, i didn't take any offense. matter of fact i've probably been the pain in the a**. this conference has really helped to get me through the wait. otherwise i'd have gone crazier than i did! here in maryland, in the rural areas, the deer have gotten so bad the state is experimenting with installing special reflectors to keep the deer off of the roads and highways. it apparently is working in Howard County. where i had my mishap the investigating officer told me there are 12-13 deer related accidents every night! when the state had 'bow hunts' to lower the out-of-control deer population, bleeding heart bambi lovers always protested. so the state stopped having the hunts. recently a man was killed when he hit a buck and the deer smashed through the windshield and impailed him with the antlers. the deer population is so out of control here you wouldn't believe it. there are so many that experts say many deer will die from starvation. hunting the deer to reduce thier population is the humane thing to do. but the so-called 'bambi lovers' just don't see the bigger picture. as far as those deer protectors they are certainly worth a look. i may install them in the grill somewhere. but i don't think it would've mattered with mine as she had a full head of steam.
  • pkingrochpkingroch Member Posts: 3
    I've seen several posts here about this and now that I have finally taken delivery, I'd like to add that my sedan thumps too.
  • tickbittytickbitty Member Posts: 250
    check out post #336 in the Focus wagons conference, someone got a pretty nice and timely reply from Ford in regard to a possible problem with their car.
  • jpthreejpthree Member Posts: 16
    Hey, has anyone found out if you can get aftermarket fender liners to replace the felt-like material used from the factory? I'm also very curious how these have been holding up through the rough winter weather. Do they seem to be absorbing water or are they some kind of hydrophobic material?
    i've read that in nj (or PA?) state gov. has contracted to night hunt (via night vision) deer, since they are out then and hopefully people aren't. i love deer, and think they are beautiful, but they've been breeding like hamsters in nj.
    does anyone know if those deer sirens work???
  • nschortnschort Member Posts: 9
    Ok it's Feb. 1 can a zx3 be ordered with cruise control now
  • stanky73stanky73 Member Posts: 14
    I recently noticed in the Automobile Magazine special on the Focus that
    the American ZX3 2 door hatch has a different grill than the European 4
    door hatch. Is this true? If so, can you get the European one
    somewhere and replace the American one? The European one looks a 1000
    times better!!!

Thanks,
    Joe
  • kdominczakkdominczak Member Posts: 174
    Is it true that waiting period for zx3 is 2-3 months? If that's true it sucks big time!!!!!!!!
    If anyone knows anything about it tell us please.
    I'm looking for a loaded zx3 and be ready to buy within next 2-4 weeks,but if it will take 2-3 months to get it i'll get golf gl tdi($1500 more).
  • cefurodcefurod Member Posts: 72
    Last night as i was going home, i hit a pot hole hard, which i didn't see. Now my zx3 makes a "thumping" sound on the passenger front wheel and the rim is slightly bent. This morning, i bought it to my dealer and noticed a knot on my tire.
    Well, the mechanic said i need new strut and spring, new tire and rim. But he told me to bring it to a tire shop and have them bend the rim back and to buy the tire there since it's cheaper. He's also going to replace the strut and spring for me through the warranty even though it's not supposed to. (He said it's not a manufacture defect because it was caused by me hitting a pot hole, warranty does not cover this.) He told me the part should be in by tomorrow. I just hope so considering all the problems some of you are going through with the parts. I hope to get my car back to perfect form soon!
    By the way, to danny, I asked the mechanic about the oil change and he said it's ok to change it every 5000 miles. But for my first one, i think i'll do it at 3000. thanks for your response.
  • strychstrych Member Posts: 4
    i know several people cross reference to other conferences for related topics of cars, but i dont seem to be able to navigate to or actually find those posts...if you can post the link so i can click, it would be appreciated...
    or else

call me dumb.....
    just go to the yellow band on the left side of this page, and type "focus" (or whatever else you are looking for)into the "topic search" blank, and press go below it. THis should give you a whole list of conferences.
    tickbitty, i was researching the sony edition focus(possibly for my wife) and came accross this site. seems like they are highly competitive. could be an alternative to carorder if it seems like they're bustin' your chops. take a peek if you haven't already. wishing you the best of luck.
  • ragtop99ragtop99 Member Posts: 33
    Sorry to hear of the mishap. One thing I would recommend. If you get the rim bent back it would likey be best to switch it to the rear. I had a bent front rim at one time and it caused a bad shimmy at higher speeds. Someone recommended switching it to the rear and the problem was solved. The rear wheels are just being dragged behind so they are not as critical. The front wheels must be percisely balanced or you'll have problems.

Are the rims an aluminum alloy? If so, I would imagine it would be difficult, if not impossible, to bend them back. Someone out there know more about this?

That's pretty cool that they are repairing it under warranty.
  • silyboysilyboy Member Posts: 90
    There is a difference in the grills, to be exact the bumper is different too. For N. America, they have changed the styling I am guessing to meet our DOT standards. If you compare a N.American and Euro Focus, you will see on the N. American model the amber turn signals are moved from in the bumper to in the grill. The plastic then also changes from the "diamond grid" to the "horizontal stripes". The N. American models also loose the fender turn signals (like the ones VW has on their vehicles).
  • guk2guk2 Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed that mileage for my ZX3 for
    city/highway combined is 29mpg. Still trying
    to get better mileage by varied driving cond.
    Empty tank light seems early and once, the fuel gauge did not work until second start-up...weird

Good on snow. Have been "plowing" through several inches out od parking lots with ease. Still, strong winds on highway does whip the car from side to side...perhaps due to the height.

2nd gear very tight when very cold. Wonder if its
    a flaw. But not difficult to get used to. Loved the quick/smooth acceleration on 2nd.

Any advise out there about breaking in your car by varying speeds? Mine already over 2K with occasional visits to the higher RPMs.
  • dbucklindbucklin Member Posts: 5
    I walked into a dealership on new years day and they told me that if I ordered a Focus that day, I wouldn't get it until late Feb/early March. I live in MN if that makes a difference. I wonder if the wait time would be better if I lived in Texas or Cali.
  • mac54mac54 Member Posts: 22
    Don't know how the ZX3's are doing, but I ordered an SE sedan on 1/15 and it's due in at the end of February. Dealer tells me the VIN was assigned a week ago. I'm hoping it doesn't get recalled or cannibalized!
  • jamers85jamers85 Member Posts: 100
    Having problems with the second gear on cold days?
    I asked a friend of mine who had an integra about this. He said he had the same problem with shifting to second when it's cold. I guess i can just assume it's not a flaw.

In regards to waiting for the zx3, well as i posted a while back ago. I ordered my car Oct.19, but only manufactured a month later and delivered to my dealership December 29. Now you must imagine
    how long I've waited and the frustrations it caused. But, it's worth it!!!!!

And guess what? Ford company sent me a questionaire.To evaluate my dealerships service. We'll, let me see: Waited 3 months for the car......I got the car but they lost one key, the remotes and the manual and they didn't care about it much. ummm....how am I to evaluate this?
  • clayman1clayman1 Member Posts: 41
    I read in Popular Science Magazine that the deer warnings do NOT work.
    In Pennsylvania we kill more deer by auto than 44 states combined by hunting! It's true!
    There are tons of them here in Philadelphia. Almost ran into one and her babies on my bike one Sunday morning.
    Then folks will wonder why we have so many deer ticks and Lyme disease. Duh!
  • harakiriharakiri Member Posts: 1
    I also have problem with the second gear under cold weather. In very cold temperature (it happens here in Québec, Canada!) the engine idles at about 500 rpm and even stall sometimes. My dealer just receive a correction notification from Ford for this problem.

Fuel mileage is quite poor even with 3000 miles on it. Even on highway, it is not better than 24 mpg.

I have also some noise problems:

-The ventilation fan wistle in 2nd and 3rd position.

-There is a wind noise at 65 mph from the driver's side window that not exist on the passager's side.

-Betweed 55 and 60 mph there is a resonnance, not a very strong noise, but a very unpleasent one.

Does anyone encourter the same problems?

Ford will also have to correct the noise frome the wheel wells that seem to be isolate with cheap carpet.

A stiffer (GT, not sport) suspension, a manual transmission with the three first gears a little bit longer, a true silver paint (like a Jetta), seats that goes forward to let pass the rear passagers, white instrumentation and aluminium inserts on dash and doors (like european models) and this car will be perfect.
  • dragwaydragway Member Posts: 34
    Just returned from the dealer. Cruise can be ordered as a package with tilt wheel and map lights. Here in Canada the package adds $600 to the price. I was quoted a price of 20900 out the door with tax (15%) here. That was with air and power locks. Any other Canadians get a price yet. What's the deal with the easy access seat? Is it standard now? The dealer didn't know anything about it.
  • dragwaydragway Member Posts: 34
    Forgot to mention that it is still taking 12 to 13 weeks for delivery.
  • nawlins_guynawlins_guy Member Posts: 1
    Hi, everyone! I've enjoyed reading the many postings concerning this very promising new little car. I'm very strongly considering ordering one, but one option that is virtually a must for me is a tilt & slide (easy entry) passenger seat. I recall reading somewhere on this forum that such an option is supposed to be coming available soon. In another posting, I read that this feature will actually be made standard on all ZX3s made after a certain date. Can anyone fill me in on what the actual situation is? By the way, I've noticed that some posters have regretted not being able to get cruise control on the ZX3. My dealer told me that the steering wheel comes pre-wired for cruise, and that it's a simple matter to have the dealer install it. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
    anyone know how many cars of the limited edition sony cars are going to be produced at will sell at what price and when its going to be released, if at all in canada?? thanks
    Hey fellow quebecquer! good to hear your from my area and own a zx3...may i ask from which part of quebec your from...?? hopefully close enough to my area so i can see it =-)

e-mail me, would like to hear from you...at

strych_9_@hotmail.com
  • browntrout1browntrout1 Member Posts: 72
    I liked the ZX3 at first when I saw it and read the reviews on it and all the awards but now it seems alot of people are having problems with it. Usually people say never buy the first model year of a car since all the kinks have not been worked out yet. I've heard horror stories from previous 1995 Pontiac Sunfire owners.

Anyways, I was at the Auto show in Montreal and I got a good look at the Focus R, it's a pretty sharp car! But I digress, I'm just begining to think that the ZX3 is not quite the deal it sounded like before. I'm quite turned off by the lack of available sunroof. I just saw a post that someone was quoted 20900 Canadian which sounds kind of high since the car is advertised around 16500. I guess 15% tax has something to do with that. I think I would prefer a Sentra SE for around that price (19$$$ + tax) since Nissan dealers are known to budge on from MRSP.

Anyways, I really like this whole conference thing and really appreciate what is posted from the people who actually bought the car. I think it helps the rest of us in making an informed decision. I'm still considering the ZX3, although not as much as before.
  • jcu1886jcu1886 Member Posts: 39
    I live in the suburbs of Cleveland. Virtually all my driving is stop-and-go. My work is only about one mile from home, so the car never really gets that warmed up, esp. in this winter weather. I am not surprised that the gas mileage has been only about 21-22 mpg, considering the above. I should add that a Saturn SC2 I used before the Focus would get about the same, 20-21 mpg, no more.

danderson
  • jeffyjcjeffyjc Member Posts: 14
    let me tell you, that my husband of 30 yrs., surprised me on my 50th birthday 1/31/00 totally, at the honolulu airport, returning from a trip with 4 girlfriends to vegas/l.a. , well, this car is to die for.... i can't find one thing wrong.. it drives like a dream.you're at 60 in no time. really, i can't say anything bad. maybe, if, he was to put a 5 carot diamond necklace to dangle from the rearview mirror!!!??
  • skater4skater4 Member Posts: 35
    It is a little disconcerting to read about everybody's Focus problems, but at the same time it's nice to know there's a place to vent! So far, I haven't had any problems, though I definitely took into consideration the old "don't buy a car its first year out" advice. I decided to go for it anyway, and I haven't been sorry. My biggest problem to date is how filthy my poor little hatchling is after all this freakin' snow and ice. Question: what is the best way to wash a car? I never cared about my old car, but I want to minimize the scratching on my new one. Do car washes really destroy paint? High pressure hoses? WHAT DO I DO? Dumb questions, perhaps, but I really don't know. Any advice?
  • danny1234danny1234 Member Posts: 21
    Hi Folks, i had a chance to look at a euro focus's grille, it has a keyhole behind the emblem to lock the hood.. in addition to being the cool diamond hatch pattern. I guess it is to make the car score higher in european anti-theft tests.

Sorry to hear about the bent wheel rim.. I agree with moving it to the back, even after it was repaired. it wont affect steering feel as much as leaving it on the front.

Gearchanges - this seems to work for me - maybe some of you could confirm. When changing from 1st to 2nd in the cold, if I let the revs die down fully, and then shift slowly or double clutch it, it shifts fine. If I try a fast shift, the lever gets stuck in neutral.

As for the wind noises, harakiri, I would jiggle the rubber seals on the doors a bit, and lube them with silicone spray. This will let them seat better, and should hopefully reduce some of your wind noise. Be careful not to get the spray on your glass or paint, as it is a pain to remove.

So far, i dont have any whistling or annoying resonance. However, I will check it today on my drive home. I would like to have most of the stuff on harakiri's wish list, but include one item - more power.
  • cefurodcefurod Member Posts: 72
    Thanks for the advice to move the wheel to the back. I'll make sure to tell the mechanic to do that when they change the tire. Do you guys know what's the exact model of our tires. I know it's a Goodyear P195/60sr15. But is there a model name for it?
    Regarding the wind noise, I also hear that from the driver side. It makes me think i left a crack in the window but when i check it, it's closed tight.
    thanks for the suggestion of Carsdirect, but for now I'm sticking with CarOrder, for the great price and the fact that the dealer has charged my credit card the 500$ for the order, I figure I'm committed. (CO does not charge a fee, but the dealer they work with will sometimes want this as their down payment.) I intend to find out who the dealer is by checking with my bank about who charged my credit card, then contact the dealer to make sure everything's on track.

On other subjects, isn't the Sony edition Focus a ZTS sedan? For those who remember our "yellow" discussion, go to www.focus247.com and click the bubble for "focus zone" then the one for "statement cars" -- a bright yellow focus! It would look better as a ZX3. I also signed up for the free CDrom on there. Looks weird but I thought maybe that would mean I could get my welcome pack someday, when I get my car!
    sorry, I meant priceline!
  • norwaydougnorwaydoug Member Posts: 249
    The complaints people have been discussing are mostly very minor. The most serious was the power steering pump. The lack of parts is not due to a manufacturing problem. My Focus is well built and I have had no problems with it. I would recommend it to anyway. I am definitely hot on the focus. Especially the ZX-3.

When cleaning a car, one must ensure that the dirt is well dispersed in car wash soap to make sure you do not scratch the paint. First wet the car and keep it wet and then use a soap brush or sponge with car wash detergent and lightly rub the car starting at the top and work to the bottom. Rinse sponge often with water. Change soap solution when it becomes obvious it is dirty. Wash tires and rims last (they have the most grime. Rinse well with water. Do not use dish washing detergent or washing machine detergent.......use car wash soap.

The Focus is great....don't feel you shouldn't buy one.

NorwayDoug
    The complaints people have been discussing are mostly very minor. The most serious was the power steering pump. The lack of parts is not due to a manufacturing problem. My Focus is well built and I have had no problems with it. I would recommend it to anyway. I am definitely hot on the focus. Especially the ZX-3.

When cleaning a car, one must ensure that the dirt is well dispersed in car wash soap to make sure you do not scratch the paint. First wet the car and keep it wet and then use a soap brush or sponge with car wash detergent and lightly rub the car starting at the top and work to the bottom. Rinse sponge often with water. Change soap solution when it becomes obvious it is dirty. Wash tires and rims last (they have the most grime. Rinse well with water. Do not use dish washing detergent or washing machine detergent.......use car wash soap.

NorwayDoug

NorwayDoug
  • skater4skater4 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the car washing advice. Now all I have to do is wait for the snow to melt, so I don't have to keep washing the car! I love my zx3, and everyone who has seen it has raved about it. I've got to keep it looking good for all the fans. Now, I am somewhat car-knowledge impaired, so I'm counting on y'all to help me. This subject has come up already, but just fill me in. Is it better to go by the service book and get the oil changed at 5000 miles, or should I get it done at 3000? I've never owned a new car before, so I'm unsure of what to do. I have a 5-speed transmission; does that make a difference? I hope you don't think I'm the dumbest person alive, I just want to be sure I keep my Focus at its best!
    in every vehicle i've ever owned i changed the oil and filter religiously at 3000 to 4000 miles intervals... but as close to 3000 as possible. never had any engine problems. i rest my case. most people get the wrong idea when it comes to oil changes. 99.9% of the motor oils on the market will go well beyond 5000 miles. it is the oil filter, that by doing its job, becomes restricted with dirt. in cheaper types of oil filters the filtering element can disintegrate if it goes too long. i recommend a two-stage oil filter with a synthetic oil for top longevity. that's what we'll be using after break-in.
    I don't think so...you bought a zx-3!

ND
  • surfh2osurfh2o Member Posts: 4
    I've heard the same about oils. Consumer Reports did a test a while back and found that all oil brands tend to perform equally. Your oil gets too DIRTY before it 'breaks down'. This is why you are changing it. How often you change it depends on where you are driving.

As for washing cars: Washing often is GOOD. I use the self-serve sprayers for quick wash/rinses (don't forget the underside) and if you use the 'foaming brush' option, CLEAN THE BRUSH WITH THE HIGH PRESSURE SPRAYER FIRST so your not rubbing in abrasives. Be super careful. The grime on your car will scratch the paint.

Then all you have to do is spot rinse the drool people leave on your shiny ZX3...
  • bob48154bob48154 Member Posts: 1
    American car buyers cannot purchase a new car in Canada, This is controlled by the car manufacturers and dealers. The difference between the US and Canadian $ would make for a BIG discount for US citizens buying in Canada. However a Canadian purchasing online, taking delivery in the US and paying US funds may benefit enough on competitive pricing to make the effort worthwhile, selection and availability may be better too
This discussion has been closed.