Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus ZX3 Hatchback - Part IV

12345679»

Comments

• silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    NorwayDoug, a very interesting comparison, but the rear drive and vastly different design philosophies makes this another "apples to bananas" comparison. I think they are too different to make a call. I've owned two different 3-series BMWs (but no ti), and they were fun cars, but for what they cost new they should be. I still think our ZX3s are astonishingly good cars for the price, and very nice cars by any measure.
  • jimr1818jimr1818 Member Posts: 7
    "Strong Points: Ride/handling; Driveability: Interior room."
    "Weak Points: Acceleration; Rear leg room."
  • focuszx3rfocuszx3r Member Posts: 92
    Thanks for your posts about the color. I am very excited to see the car, and I think it will be a nice surprise. All my friends dont like the car but I think they wish they had one. I will be the only kid at my school with one!
    I went to the dealer today to sit in it and boy I cant wait! How long do you think it will take to break in??
    Does the 5-speed tranny have a short throw?? Is it fast in that car?
    I cant wait another 4 weeks!
  • norwaydougnorwaydoug Member Posts: 249
    Silver Bullet,

Yes the rwd of the ti makes it very much different from the focus. Yes....that just sort of blows my comparison topic away doesn't it?

Thanks for the intelligent response. It is refreshing as of late.

NorwayDoug
  • snakrichsnakrich Member Posts: 10
    Is there any way this trouble-making individual can be blocked? I'd sure appreciate it, and no doubt every other sane person on this forum would, too.
  • projectzx3projectzx3 Member Posts: 256
    you really need to become more assertive. i would call fords regional office if i were you. if you don't get results call the corporate. if that doesnt work call the local news media. i know around here we have consumer issues all the time on our news broadcasts. i damn near did it myself and would have except they got it done right before i would've snapped. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I know its difficult for a young person but its time you stepped up to the plate young man. your zx3 friend, mark
  • spdplayspdplay Member Posts: 12
    looking for "in- states" Richbrook Product dealers. got some quotes from Angleland but trying to save on the shipping ( and the exchange rate). if anyone knows let me know!
  • calico1calico1 Member Posts: 52
    Just a quick update -- and thanks to those of you who responded about the sunroof. I didn't get a call to pick my hatchling up today after "surgery", so I assume she'll be ready to go tomorrow. My greatest fear is that it will interfere with the beautiful roof lines on the ZX3, but I guess that remains to be seen tomorrow.

About the Focus being a "poor man's" VW or anything else for that matter, I certainly could have gotten a much more expensive vehicle, but I waited until something came out that really, really impressed me. The ZX3 did it! Can't wait to have her back!

--Calico1
  • fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    What are the advantages of having a sun/moon roof?
    What is the difference between a sun and moon roof?
    Does one have power and open all the way?(Sun)?
    The other just pop open? (Moon)?
  • focusfanaticfocusfanatic Member Posts: 42
    hey guys, i dont know if this was already posted but the tire rack has a great new set of Borbets in 17'' format. They look wonderful! I would post this on the focus aftermarket forum but it doesnt seem to be active anymore. Has anyone gotten new tires yet? Any auto-x's out there? whats your equipment? anybody have the eibach springs?
  • gabegarwickgabegarwick Member Posts: 127
    Went and picked up my ZX3 last night! (Note: The build date the dealer gave me had to have been wrong) He said Mar. 20th and the car was delivered on the 21st. Here's my car:

ZX3
    -CD silver
    -4-spd. Auto
    -Tilting/telescoping steering wheel
    -Power windows (even has drivers side one-touch down)
    -Power mirrors
    -map lights
    -ABS brakes
    -engine block heater
    -power locks w/ remote entry

later,
    Gabe
  • mich9139mich9139 Member Posts: 24
    does or does not the focus zts have fog lights? i've seen pics both ways. also, the focus zts on edmunds has a silver strip highlighting the front that looks awesome. this didn't make it to production, did it? check it out:
    http://edmunds.com/newcars/2000/ford/focus/ztssedan.html
    see what i mean? it looks great, doesn't it?
  • dragwaydragway Member Posts: 34
    The only sedan that I have seen with fog lights is the SE with the sport package, not the ZTS. I haven't seen the chrome strip on the front of a production ZTS. The catalog if full of mistakes. Colours don't match the swatch in the back of the book and it shows the ZX3 with power mirrors and pwr windows before they were available as options to the public (they are now)
    Dear mich9139,

That photo appears to be an early press photo of a factory prototype ZTS. The chrome strip on the front bumper is found on the European sourced Focus Ghia, but did not make it to North America.

Foglights can only be installed as a dealer added option on the Focus ZTS. You can buy a Focus sedan SE with as a factory installed option. The ZX-3 is equipped with the foglights as standard equipment.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Mich9139, I think you are seeing a light reflection in that photo of the ZTS. The cars I've seen at the dealership have the same front end as our ZX3s - except for the foglamps, which Ford lists as being part of the SE Sport Group on the sedans. Keep in mind that manufacturers change their specs all the time. It isn't too unusual for a feature to appear or disappear from a particular model (ex: I've never seen a US spec Focus with folding outside mirrors, even though Edmunds lists this as a standard item).
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Friends, thank you for your assistance in the "robsail" matter. As you can see the posts are gone and we have taken action to ensure he does not return. Posts such as his are usually done to gain attention.

So far, the best way we have found to handle this kind of problem is to ask you to email your host (in this case, me) and to post a note in the Talk to The Hosts topic. Continuing to talk about users like this, even in a negative way, tends to encourage them to do more of the same.

Thank you for everything you are doing to help us keep the Town Hall as the best place on the net to talk cars!

carlady/host
  • rpernarperna Member Posts: 2
    You're correct about the arrogance of some VW drivers. The styling on the newer VWs are ok, nothing to write home about. And I'm definately not devoted, I bought my Jetta because the thing was quick, and handled like it was on rails.

I'll admit calling Foci "poor-man's VWs" was sort of a back-handed compliment. By this, I meant that while the Focus 'feels' sort of like a VW, the mechanicals just aren't up to par. Which, of course, is expected given the price differences of the two cars.

The main differences I noticed with VW Golf/Jettas and the ZX3 I test drove:

1. The suspension seemed firmer, yet more supple on VWs, resulting in easier cornering and more comfort/less road noise. I was still shocked by the quality of the ZX3's ride, though, it definately had that distinctive "German" feel to it.

2. The newer VW's interiors are nicer, but again this is to be expected given the price. I was still deeply impressed by the ZX3's roominess, interior finish, and sheer amount of room and functionality.

3. One of the larger problems I had with my ZX3 tester was possibly suspension-related. It seemed a bit "tail-heavy", like it was dragging it's rear around while cornering and doing slalom-like maneuvers.

That said, I do believe that the Focus is a MUCH, MUCH better deal that any VW. I think VW's market changed (sometime slightly prior to the New Beetle's introduction), and not for the better. Quick anecdote, I went back to my VW dealer to settle up with the lease (this is a pretty big dealer), and was shocked at the amount of yuppie kids I saw running around the place. In 1996, most fellow VW owners I ran into were 20/30 somethings, real driving enthusiasts. Now, it's become a car that yuppies buy for their kids, sort of a "Mercedes with training wheels".

It's quite sickening, and is something that used to disgust me with certain Japanese makes. It's also why I went back to an American car(an Oldsmobile, no less, a car most certainly not marketed for yuppie 'rats).

Sorry, I kind of got OT there for awhile. Carry on. :-)

Rich
    This is the hatchback conference and I do not want to go on and on about the sedan, but the European Focus sedan(Focus Ghia) has a chrome strip along the edge of the grill and the bumper. This chrome strip is definitely seen in the Edmunds photo of the sedan as was previously mentioned. It is not sunglare. The curious part of this picture is that it does have a NA bumper and turning signal light lamp set-up which leads me to conclude that the photo was an early pre-production prototype focus model.

Again all this confusion is due to the lousy Ford Focus pamphlets that were made. They provide zero information.

The main differences I have seen between the euro focus and the NA focus are the bumpers (rear bumper has a fog light incorporated into it), side marker lights, interior fabric (more sporty and nicer than the NA Focus---particularly the 'Trend' model line) and the amber rear light fixture for turn signals.

The Euro foci also have heated seats & stability control! Not to mentioned the 5 door hatchback.

NorwayDoug
  • tickbittytickbitty Member Posts: 250
    also costs considerably more for all the special stuff on it. Less power, too (but better fuel efficiency, the trade-off) I like the euro ones, but wouldn't be able to afford one, if I lived there.
  • judasjudas Member Posts: 217
    Personally I'd rather have the young yuppie image of a VW than the old stodgy image of an Oldsmobile
    Tickbitty is right! Euro foci can cost 1.5 to 2.5 times more than our USA version. Ford did a great job making the car affordable. I am pleased with the interior of my zx-3. The seats are great. I think the zx-3 seats are nicer than the sedans. The texture of the seats in the hatchback is very attractive.

The Euro foci can have more engine options:

1.6L, 1.8 L and 2.0 L

The 2.0L is the ztec engine that we have in our Foci.

Any news Tickbitty when your Focus is coming?
    ND
  • cefurodcefurod Member Posts: 72
    I'm glad NA offers the stripped down version of the focus instead of the one they have in Europe. Over there, hatchbacks are very popular so they could add all kinds of accessories. But in the US, the demand is much lower so Ford kept cost down this way.
    One of the main reasons I bought the Focus is because of the bang for the buck. I needed a cheap commute vehicle to work (1 hr one way) without all the luxury items. If I had wanted a more luxurious hatchback, i would have bought a Golf 1.8T. If I had wanted a more luxurious car in general, i would have chosen an Audi A4 or Acura TL. Don't get me wrong, luxury aside, the Focus is awesome to drive and just a great car period!
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    Jedimaster1,

The Ford Owner Connection is:
    "www.ownerconnection.com"

Just follow the instructions and register your vehicle.

Pat
    I test drove both a focus (all the styles) and a few from the golf line. I think that many people mistake the prodigous weight of the vw for a "quality feel". This almost tricked me, but then i tried acclerating. The weight was obvious. But it is true, the mass feels alot more solid. The only Golf I would consider would be the GTI VR6, but having read Car&Drivers comparison test including it, I ruled it out. It depends upon what you want. I would much rather have a sharp-handling, (relatively) quick car, than a somewhat luxurious "boat". This is not meant to offend VW owners, but i think most will agree that, for the money, the focus annihilates its competition.
    also, the golf uses an old american trick to make cars feel quicker. They shorten the throttle response so that just a light touch of the pedal gives you more throttle. So people like it, but I prefer more control for safely manuevering parking lots.
    Gabe--you seem to have received the ZX3 I originally ordered (in early March) and was told was an impossibility! CD Silver with power everything and a tilt steering column. My dealer checked with Ford Motor Co. -- I was there when they did it -- and they were told that they were not yet installing power windows, although the target date for them had been publicized as February 2000, and that they had no idea when and if that would even be an option on the ZX3 at that point. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, I really, really do, but it seems like we are getting very different messsages in different parts of the country about our ZX3s. My dealer (like I said before, good people, not the stereotype at all) still has no info. on the recall.

Fgaydos, thanks for making me feel better. I, too, question the difference between a sunroof and a moonroof. Around here the terms seem to be used interchangably, and I can't imagine that that's accurate. Can't wait to hear the answer to your question. Will try to find out myself.

Because of a glitch in installing my cruise control (necessary to maintain reasonably low speeds with me behind the wheel and my foot on the gas), my sun/moon roof is still being installed as we speak. Now I'm scheduled to get it tomorrow. I miss my car!!!!
    --Calico1
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Looking for the ZX3 crowd? Join the conversation in Ford Focus Hatchback - ZX3 - Part V. See you there!

carlady/host
  • fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    Tickbitty,
    I was at a new owners meeting and they stressed that 5000 is fine for the newer cars oil change.
    Also, the manual states you should try to avoid real hard emergency type braking till it gets broken in. 1000 miles?
    If you blow all the engines sounds like you are driving it too hard. Racing??
    Welcome back, norwaydoug. FYI: after my Capri (I know, again with the mystical Capri) was hit in '86, it made a humming noise for the rest of its life and no certified mechanic could find the source. I swore it was the rear passenger wheel. It had no real effect on performance, though. (and I drove like I imagine Tickbitty drives! ahem.)

Hey, silver_bullet, thanks for the advice, but I DID read the manual. It was wrong. To set the clock, hit clock and then hit the volume control button, NOT the seek/scan button as the manual advises!

Two days until moonroof installation. I wasn't about to wait four months to get a factory option that may never come to pass. (At least that's the word from Ford right now--as far as I know there are no plans to build Foci ZX3s with factory installed sunroofs) My dealer is installing it for me. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

As for "break-in" speeds: is this a discussion for manual or automatic? My automatic is performing just fine at speeds in the 70s and 80s and I've only got about 180 miles on her. In my experience, it's mustangs that need the break in!

Could someone remind me...is there or is there not a chrome attachment for the tailpipe that would fit the ZX3?

I LOVE THIS CAR!!! --calico1
This discussion has been closed.