Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler PT Cruiser (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    Yes the price has dropped and continues to drop as the car becomes more plentiful. The German factory is now producing Cruisers for European consumption so that the Mexican plant doesn't have to split their output between North America and Europe.

The price you quote is right in line, if it doesn't include the $300 Home for the Holidays rebate. I just took delivery of a 2002 Classic 5 speed, the only option was the privacy glass. The price before the "Home for the Holidays" rebate was about $16,640. The rebate knocked another $300 off. The bottom line for my car was about $17,314 when the MD tax and MVA and document prep fees figured in.
    Just added a Classic with 5 speed to go with my wifes Touring automatic. I thought I would mention my impressions.

There's a lot more alike than different with the two cars, it's kind of like the difference between coach and first class in flying, both of them get you there at the same time. The comfort level is about the same, the suspension is noticably firmer with the Touring edition. Personally I kind of like the softer ride that the Classic offers. My impression of the drivers seat is that the two are identical.

I felt that the noise level in the classic was a bit lower. I think that's more a factor of the manual transmission and the engine operating at a lower speed.

I can't comment on the enhanced handling offered by the touring suspension and wheels, I don't intend to push either vehicle to its limit (especially my wifes car :-D) Again with performance, the classic is not broken in yet so I am not doing any speed runs.

The main difference that I can see between the two vehicles is in the convenience items. Although the power and security accessories are very nice, I think that my classic will give me everything I need.
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    Hello, everyone. My dad bought a bight silver 2001 PT Cruiser Limited with just about every available option about 6 months ago. It has ABS w/ 4 wheel disc breaks, heated seats, leather, pwr moon roof, chrome wheels, ect.

The whole family loves the car, including myself, although I rarely get the chance to drive it. When I do get a chance to drive it, I am impressed with it's handling and the firm but still comfortable ride it gives. And yes, this car is still a head turner even after being on the market almost 2 years.

Our 2001 PT currently has a little over 11k miles on it and still runs like new. It is just more proof that Chrysler has done some serious improvment on it's quality over the years.

-Adam (16/M/CA)

2000 Town & Country LX w/33k miles
    2001 PT Cruiser Limited w/11k miles
  • baldguybaldguy Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone here tell me who the artist is that does the "L.O.V.E - song on the PT Cruiser commercial. You know, the one with the young couple, and the girl swipes the keys out of the guys pocket and takes off with the car. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    Looks like the PT Cruiser will be surpassed by the NEW Chrysler Pacifica.
    We love the PT Cruiser looks and versatility but that little 4 cylinder engine prevents us from buying one.
    The Pacifica with the 300M 3.5L V6 solves that little problem.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A google.com search turned up this tidbit: "The artist that sings "Love" in the PT Cruiser commercial is Jacklyn Fisher. The song was recorded specifically for the Chrysler Corporation and is not currently available for purchase."

I haven't seen the commercial, but here's a link that may satisfy your curiosity. If you are into mp3's, there's a ~30 second rip on their forums of the song :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Yes, the Pacifica looks interesting. Here's a direct link to our new Chysler Pacifica discussion on the Station Wagons Board. We look forward to hearing your thoughts on this upcoming cross over sport wagon, minivan, suv.... Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
    The pacifica looks to be a car without personality. One of the attractions of the Cruiser is that it is cute and strikes a chord in the consumer. After living with the car, the owner appreciates the flexibility and usability. The Pacifica will probably be a fine car but doesn't generate the same feeling, at least in me. It is just another generic car, albeit more attractive than the Aztek.
    This means you will only be able to enter here from the Hatchbacks and Station Wagons message boards. We've enjoyed the interaction/participation from the Van's Message Board, but for a number of logistical reasons, we've decided to make this change.

You may also need to update your message center, if you bookmarked this discussion from the Vans Board. If you have any questions, please feel free to send me an email. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Perhaps giving a day or two leeway would be nice. Imagine my surprise when I went to the vans conference and my favorite discussion wasn't there.

Sigh

Normally I wouldn't look at the hatchback or station wagon as the PT Cruiser is/isn't a hatchback/station wagon/van. In fact, what is the PT Cruiser (other than loads of fun?)
    I agree, it defies classification, as also mentioned in this Edmund's article. Edmunds' has it listed as a wagon in their New Vehicle guide. The NHTSA classifies it as a van since the rear seats can be removed. And the environmental protection agency says it's a car. So take your pick. ;-)

Normally I wouldn't look at the hatchback or station wagon

With all the new crossovers hitting the market, you'll also be finding a lot of other interesting "hatchbacks" and "station wagons" on these two boards. I look forward to seeing you around here. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
  • jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    I drove a Pt Cruiser 2 weeks ago with the 5 speed. I love the car, although it could use some power. A turbo would be ok, but a 6 cyl, would be better.

However, I could not believe how tight the engine compartment is! Question...where is the oil filter?

I could not find it. When I asked the rep, he too couldn't find it, so he brought over a few other reps. They couldn't find it either!

You should have seen it...4 reps crawling all over this car looking for an oil filter.

So where is it?!!!
  • sumtymsumtym Member Posts: 7
    Chrysler must have had a hard time coming up with a new design I think they looked at a old Ford album and modified the 1953 Prefect.
  • heart93heart93 Member Posts: 15
    Hi all,
    I've been lurking for awhile & enjoy the discussions on the board, so I decided to join.
    I purchased a 2002 PT Limited in October. I have about 4,000 miles on it & am really happy with it so far. The dealer sold it to me for the Friends & Family price (2% below invoice, if I recall correctly) and gave me $600 more for my trade than anyone else was offering.
    I purchased the 5 spd, as I thought the automatic was a bit of a dog. The only options I added were 4 wheel ABS w/ traction control, heated seats, and the upgraded radio.
    This is my first Chrysler, and I was a little leery of the quality, but so far the car seems very well put together.
    I would be interested to know what types of aftermarket accessories other owners are putting on their PTs.
    heart93
    I agree the 5 speed is a better way to go. I almost bought a PT cruiser a few weeks ago, but my $3200 GM card points changed my mind.

The cruiser is very solid...congratulations on a great purchase. What color did you get?
    I can't say I blame you - that's quite a bit of money to pass on. What vehicle are you going to use it towards?

I bought black, although my first choice would have been silver. This is my 3rd black vehicle, which basically proves that I'm an idiot. They look awesome cleaned up, but are absolutely heartbreaking trying to keep clean (especially in winter).

Case in point - I spent a few hours on Saturday getting it all cleaned up and we had an ice storm by that evening. Plus, I'm already starting to see minor scraches. For some reason I always seem to notice them more on a black vehicle.

Oh well - I'm still really happy with the car (& it does look really good cleaned up).
    heart93- Glad you've have come out of the dark... and joined the discussion. I think black is a great color for the PT Cruiser. I look forward to hearing more about your ownership experience.... ;-)

jpelder- "4 reps crawling all over this car looking for an oil filter."

You'd probably have better luck asking someone from the service department. Good luck. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    One nice thing about the black is that there aren't many around where I live - cranberry & silver seem to be the most popular. In fact, I was feeling pretty pleased with myself at having a somewhat unique Cruiser until someone where I work bought an identical one about a month after I did.
    sigh
    The cruiser I drove was also a black 5 speed...it had just the equipment I wanted too. Figures!

I ended up getting an Alero sedan with the 5 speed and sport package. Of course, it is black! However, this is my first black vehicle so I am just learning the joys of grime removal. It may require more cleaning, but when it is clean, nothing looks better than black!

Fortunately, it is a 3rd vehicle, so if it's yucky out, we keep it in the garage and drive something else.

I love the Alero, but the cruiser has a special place in my heart.

Revka, you may be right about asking the service dept about the filter location, but that is pretty sad. Doesn't anyone change their own oil anymore?
  • fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    What do you want black for? They already look too much like a hearse.
    The best thing about the car is the paint job. They have the best colors.
    Bright, vivid colors make them look more like a roadster.
    IMHO
    and thank goodness for the different tastes, otherwise we'd all be driving around with the same color vehicle. Right? ;-)

One of the reasons I like the black, aside from the fact that it's just a cool color imo, is because it blends in well with the PT Cruiser bumper. I also like that dark (taupe?) color.

Btw, what does everyone here think of the new wood panel exterior? I saw a red/wood panel Cruiser at the local dealer. Kind of interesting. I think it would also look good combined with black.

jpelder & heart93- Have you tried using a car duster on your black vehicles? I used to use one on a previously owned blk vehicle, and it was very helpful in keeping down on the cleanings.

Revka
    Host
    Revka, I plead ignorance. I do not know what a car duster is. Feel free to enlighten me!

With all my other vehicles, I always maintained a good coat of wax, so I could regularly wash with warm water (no soap).

I am going to try that Zaino stuff I've heard so much about.
    Hi jpelder- Car duster. It's a log dust mop... for gently wiping the dust off your vehicle. The idea is to reduce the dust build up on your vehicle, therefore reducing the need for as many cleanings. The main reason I was inspired to use it was because dust is much more noticeable on a black than on other colors. So this was helpful for keeping our blk car looking nice more of the time...

Anyway, don't mean to take this subject off topic too much. You'll find more discussion on car dusters in some of the wax/cleaning discussions here. I know it's been mentioned a couple of times in this Women's Auto Center discussion. Start at post #3. Hope this is helpful. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    jpelder - do you like the Alero? My brother-in-law just traded his in(also black) on a Focus. He hated it - kept having to put brakes on it.

Revka - I agree w/ the black blending in with the bumper. I don't like how the unpainted bumper stands out against the lighter colors.

I have a dash duster (same idea) that I like. I'll check out the car duster.

Along those same lines, someone just turned me on to Maguiers (sp?) car cleaners. They have a nice spray on product to help take some of the muck off between washings.

What types of aftermarket accessories have other people been adding to their Cruisers? I have some ideas, but have to do a little at a time, due to funds.
    So far, I love the car. Here are some pluses ans minuses as I compare it to the PT cruiser:

Plus: Engine seems peppier and I like the Getrag transmission better. The Ecotec is smoother and much easier to work on (for what they let you work on)...more room under the hood. The car handles much better, but that's a now brainer due to the different vehicle styles. Quieter ride and better sound system.

Minus: Not as versatile with cargo. I like the base PT cruiser seats better, as well as the dash styling. Cruiser has a more solid feel and better visibility. Cruiser just looks better too.

As you can see, it was not easy for me to walk away from the PT cruiser!

I have read about the disc brakes warping on the Alero. I use my gears to slow down, so I don't expect to generate as much disc heat as most others, but I also have until 2007 to get them fixed under warranty if it does occur.
    Heart... You might want to wander over to http://www.ptenthusiasts.com/ for some ideas. With many of them the skies the limit. The first steps are generally the fuzzy dice and an aaaougha horn. Then you get into intake and exhaust mods. Of course flames are almost required. The serious ones get into turbocharging and suspension mods, there are also a number of front end treatments for those who don't like the stock grill.
    Personally, I'd get some of those drill spikes for your wheel hubs, like they have on "Grease" for gutting the tires/body on the guy next to you.

A very useful accessory for dealing with bad drivers!
    crkeehn - thanks for the link. Lots of good stuff there.

jpelder - I like the spike idea. Would be an interesting accesory to explain to the trooper ;-)

Although I like the 5 spd & think the acceleration is reasonable w/ it, I do agree the shifter is a little sloppy. I see that Hurst sells a replacement shifter. Does anyone have any experience w/ it, or have you seen any information from someone who has used it?
    Don't get me wrong, I think the PT has more than acceptable pep, but I think the car is heavy enough for a 6 cyl.

I drove 2 PT cruisers (both 5 speed)...one early last year and one just a few weeks ago. It may be my imagination, but the 5 speed I drove recently seemed to shift better. Perhaps I was just more accustomed to the position of the stick, which leads me to...

One thing that makes the shifter seem sloppy is the driving position. You are reaching down, as if in a delivery truck, as opposed to reaching forward. THus, you have to shift more with your shoulder than with your forearm/wrist. Does this make sense?
    I agree. I think the PT would benefit from a 6 cyl (although I'm not sure if there is room - it's a tight squeeze already). I think the 4 cyl when backed w/ the 5 speed is reasonable - especially if you keep it above 3,000 rpm.

Speaking of which - my mileage has been reasonable (around 24 mpg in mixed driving) even though I don't always drive in a conservative manner.

Let me clarify my complaint with the shifter. First, I really like the look. It is also reasonably decent in it's action. I would just like to see something that is a little more precise & has shorter throws. That's what the Hurst advertises. I was just wondering if anyone could back up that claim through personal experience.
  • figellafigella Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of any after market parts which will lower the driver's seat. I'm 6'5", and there isn't quite enough headroom. I'd buy one if I could find somebody who'd lower/swap out the seats.

Thanks, David
    daaron2@pacbell.net
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    front ends they make for VW Beetles? I'm surprised somebody doesn't make one yet for the Cruiser. Although I suppose most people wouldn't even realize it was "Custom". I wanted a PT ever since they came out but refused to pay the "Market Adjustment", and bought a new truck instead. I recently rented one and I was disappointed with the seating. Felt too much like sitting in a Mini-Van. And of course after getting out of my V8 285 hp truck and into the 4 cyl. 150 hp Cruiser I had to keep "kicking it down" to feel like I was moving!
    But Dam they look cool!!
    "http://howell.mountain.net/PTCruiser/PTMain.html" for accessories, etc.

I've had it bookmarked for a long time but haven't loked at it in awhile.
    Can't decide what category the PT Cruiser falls under. If you are searching for a new car by category, it's listed as a midsize wagon. When you do a comparison with another model, the PT Cruiser is listed as an SUV.
    OK - this may be dumb, but did you use the power seat adjuster to put your seat all the way down? I'm not quite as tall as you (6'1") but I have plenty of headroom, even w/ the moonroof (which I normally don't like, as they cut into trhe headroom too much).

The raised seating (like a van) is one of the things I like about the PT - good visibility.

txyank1 - I don't blame you for not wanting to pay that much. I don't think any vehicle is worth more than sticker. As much as I like my PT, I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't get a good deal.
    wandering around car lots and saw one local Dealer has PT's discounted $500 to $600. So I came to Edmunds to check the TMV and was surprised to see they consider it the same as MSRP. They even ADD a few dollars based on color. The other thing I noticed is only about $1200 diff. between Invoice and Retail. That's not much.
    Around here, you can buy a Cruiser for close to invoice. However, they are not offering incentives.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I've seen them for $200 over when they're in stock.

Looks like it's time to tweak the ol' TMV.
    Austin have tons of 'em. Probably why they're discounted.
    I think availibility is opening up - thus more reasonable prices. I can't imagine paying sticker, much less a market premium at this point. I bought mine for 2% under invoice & could have taken one right off of the lot, if I wanted an automatic. This was on top of them offering $600 more for my trade than anyone else would.
    I may have waited a little longer than some, but I still got a vehicle that I like for what I think was a very reasonable deal.

I also found a link to some aftermarket seats. Check it out & see if they have what you are looking for.

http://howell.mountain.net/Corbeau/Seats.html
  • lcwoslcwos Member Posts: 35
    I want a PT Cruiser. Currently have an Infinity QX4, lease up this year. I have 4 German Shorthaired Pointers. Will I have room do you think?? Is the rear seat easy to get in and out. I just had back surgery and need to know. I live in flat country and travel 25 miles round trip to town. Will it pull a single wave runner, or a14 ft aluminum boat? Anyone really know?? Do you think I should stay with an SUV/wagon type vehicle or can this car do it for me???
    Anyone know of updates coming for this car by around November of this year??? That is when my lease is up........ Thank you so very much....Lee W
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    You ask a lot of questions! I don't think four pointers are going to fit comfortably.
    The PT Cruiser is rated to tow 1000 lbs.

I don't know how the dogs would fit, however I would guess that you would have to remove the rear seats which is certainly easy enough to do. You would be effectively turning the car into a 2 passenger vehicle. As far as getting in and out of the car is concerned, the doors are somewhat short (the whole car is short) but they do open widely, something like 75%.

It would seem to me that your best bet would be to go look at the car. If you need to try it out, you can probably find a car rental place where you can rent it for a week. I suspect that if you just go and look at it you may find that many of your questions are automatically answered.

As far as next November, you are talking 2003 and as far as I know, everything is still just speculation, Chrysler isn't talking.
  • lcwoslcwos Member Posts: 35
    Thank you "crkeehn". I didnt realize they rented this type of vehicle. I usually dont put all 4 dogs in the car at one time, but on occassion I do. I have a waverunner and a small aluminum boat and wondered if anyone else may have had towing experience.....I mentioned I lived in flat terrain for towing....If the rear seat removes and re-installs easily that would be perfect. I have no kids and it is a 2 person family. I heard rumors about a larger power plant coming out,and since I live in a rural setting, good info is hard to come by...... Everyone drives big Trucks and huge SUV's and full size Vans around here..
    Anyway, I thank you for your answers....and will see if I can rent one for a week.......
    Lee
  • illini4illini4 Member Posts: 140
    The turbocharged engine will be available in a few months, certainly well before November. It increases horsepower from 150 to just over 200.
    had them early on when they were in short supply. Then they wanted $100 a day to rent one. I recently rented one while my truck was in for service and now it's $39.
    Personally, I think you will be impressed with the PT Cruiser cargo ability. It has a very low floor and an extremely spacious rear seat. Like many say, it's a mini-mini-van.

Try it and you will be sold on it.
  • stoltziestoltzie Member Posts: 15
    I have a question about purchasing the PT Cruiser. It seems the local dealers are starting to discount, at least in the newspaper ads. Is the market softening enough to quote prices closer to invoice?

Also, after enduring the reliability problems of GM and Ford products, we have been driving Nissans and Hondas for the past several years. We really like the looks and functionality of the Cruiser but we have concerns about long term reliability.

I think Chrysler has come along way in improving quality but what can we expect in the way of reliability with this car?

Thanks,

S.
    at least one Dealer is discounting them around $500. I dont look at the ads much but saw this in person on the windshields. According to Edmunds prices there's only about $1200 diff. Invoice to MSRP on a PT.
This discussion has been closed.