Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler PT Cruiser (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    I prefer the tether strap. A locking mechanism would just be one more item to malfunction. The strap may be low tech but it's easy to use and it works.
  • conrail1conrail1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone noticed excessive wind noise when driving above 45 mph? It seems to be generated by the large (heated,retractable) side mirrors.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    From Edmunds' Future Vehicle Section, here's some information about the PT Turbo: 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser. What do you think?

Thanks for your comments! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Also, for more focused discussion on the PT Turbo, come join us in our new 2003 PT Cruiser Turbo discussion on the Wagons Board. For future reference, you'll find a direct link to that discussion in the Helpful Links on the left side of the page. Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    A RamCharger for years and the seat was held forward with a long seat belt that attached to the floor. I find these little straps on the PT a bit easier to use than that.
  • cheribaybeecheribaybee Member Posts: 11
    I've loved them since I saw the first one and said "WHAT was that?" Recently spent time shopping around for a new car (my 11yr old Taurus becomes Hubby's work car)and seriously looked at Dodge Stratus, Jeep Liberty and just about every small SUV out there. My heart kept bringing me back to the PTC. Today we made a deal on a loaded Limited Inferno Red automatic. I get it tomorrow at 11:30 and cannot WAIT!! Loved the test drive. My kids think Mom is cool now. :) Got it for $200 over invoice (Pittsburgh). I'm so excited!!!!
    Congratulations. I am pretty sure you will be as happy as you thought you would be. It is a different kind of car from most others. Fuzzy dice aside you have joined a type of club of people that got a car the stirred something in their blood from the first time they saw one. The next thing you might notice is the wave. Other PT owners tend to wave at you when they see you driving by. In fact some of us are embarrassed a bit when we miss another PT going by. If you go on line you will find a whole slew of places selling things to make your PT look like a one of a kind. Have fun, and don't forget to wave. Who knows, it might be me going the other way.
    We're already waiting for that first wave!
    Funny thing happened on delivery of our car today.
    After a few discussions, dozens of signed papers, my two kids distracting us the whole time..we left giddy with the car. About 6pm my husband said "Did YOU write the check?" I started yelling OMG! OMG! Seems they've let us come home without paying. rofl!.....I made a call, but the dealer was closed....think they'll notice we got it for $7,000 under invoice? heh THAT would truly be a Dream Cruiser...lol.
    That would be quite a deal. Somehow I believe they might notice. Lets see what they think? :)
  • tommybluetommyblue Member Posts: 20
    Congrats on your new PT. I bought a Stone White one three weeks ago and I am loving it more each time I take it out. I own 4 vehicles, but the PT is really special. The stone white really stands out nicely :)......by the way the manual say to change the plugs at 30K. Can anyone recommend a better platinum or similar plug for better/longer performance??? thanx!! tommy
  • djones1969djones1969 Member Posts: 1
    I have a new (800 miles) PT Cruiser. I am geting only about 16 Miles Per Gallon. YIKES!!! Is this normal? Should I call the dealer to have them look at something?

Thanks,
    Dave Jones
    what transmission, what sort of driving are you doing? Yes that sounds a bit low, however if you have an automatic transmission, are running the air conditioning and doing a lot of stop and go driving, that would probably be right in line.
    Just a thought. I hate the idea of putting a liscense plate on the front of the Cruiser. Not much for looks. Is it legal to only have a plate on the rear and leave the front one off??? Anyone know???? thanks...
    On Monday I called the dealer (again) and told them about the $6,000 "discount". They laughed a nervous sorta laugh and told me to just stop in and drop off a check. I did. They said they "would have caught it eventually". I found some sort of ink-type mark on the outside of the back passenger seat (leather) and today they took care of removing that. I've put about 65 miles on it and every mile is killin' me, hate seeing the number go up. I love this car! Have no idea what my MPG is yet. Still waiting for that "fellow owner wave"....cheribaybee
    That depends on your state. In Maryland, DC and Virginia, plates are required on both the front and rear. Pennsylvania only requires a rear plate.
    Thanks, I live in California. Does anyone have an idea if front liscense plates are required on the front of the PT???? The plate in the front sure takes away from the looks......
  • herbeckgherbeckg Member Posts: 15
    I got my PT Cruiser in may of 2001. One winter of driving on salted roads. I see a lot of rust on the undercarriage. Nuts and bolts and metal parts not painted or treated.
    Would you mind telling us if your car is parked regularly indoors in a garage, outside, carport?
    Thanks.--cheribaybee
    Here is some information you might need to read on License plates.

http://www.mrtraffic.com/frontplate.htm

herbeckg, I don't think they are allowed to use salt in my state for just the reason you have described. In many of our northern states people buy a special undercoating for just that reason. Salt will eat into your car.

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Having been ticketed once for said offense by the CHP on 101 2 miles south of SFO, I can tell you in no uncertain terms that you are required to have a front license plate here in the rolling blackout state!

I was issued a fix-it ticket with no fine. I had to take it over to the Menlo Park police station and ask the OOD to verify the reinstalled plate with his signature. All that he said about the habits and mannerisms of the CHP is utterly unprintable.

That said, I now have my front plate in my trunk...
    ;-)
    HEY THANKS WALE_BATE1. Why does'nt the CHP have better things to do. Such a meaningless thing to be harrassed for. When they pull you over its from the REAR anyway.....idiots...
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    We've been trying to get rid of front plates here in TX. Probably 25% of the vehicles don't have one anyway. Always the cops that stop it......."have to have them for ID". Cops say it's helpful when trying to ID a vehicle that's parked. I asked a Cop once if he had ever written a ticket for it...."NOPE".
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Personally, I think it's really all about photo-tagging, but that's a thread for N&V.

I lurked in here for a while, but not being a PT driver, I never posted. I am a fan, though.

I have two products that interest me: one is the IS300 Sportcross (which has nothing to do with this thread of course!) and the other is the PT Panel. I would like to own a Panel. With wood. Wish it were out now!
    They had a panel on the lot. After market I am sure but it sure looked nice. The only reason I decided to pass on it was the two doors. I knew I couldn't live with a Two door again. Kids, friends and dogs all seem to need their own entrance to said vehicle. My wife has indicated that when the drop top comes out I could sell my truck and get her one, two doors or not. Maybe she expects me to put a trailer hitch on my PT and get my projects done that way?
  • markregelmarkregel Member Posts: 32
    If you want good gas milage, go easy on the gas padal! Seems like everyone I ride with revs up to 4000-4000 RPM every time, no wonder gas milage is poor! In normal driving it's seldom necessary to rev up past 2500 RPM. The P.T. is capable of getting low to mid 20's in city driving, if you drive conservative. Of course if your driving consists of standing still on a L.A. freeway for hours on end, it's going to be much worse as in any car.
    the go easy on the gas pedal. Maybe it comes from coming from moving from high spinning little cars to the PT I am not sure but I have also seen way more after 3000 RPM shifting than is necessary in a PT. I live at the 5,000 foot mark and work at about the 900 foot mark and have a 16 mile mountain road to go down and up on every day. I get an average of 24MPG almost every week. I have gotten a high of 27 and a low of 23. The 23 came when I first changed to the K&N and was pushing a bit going uphill one day. Got down to 22 because of that.
    There are times when it is very satisfying to wind that puppy up. Most of the time I do drive very conservatively, however there is one merge area where I sometimes have to accellerate "briskly" in order to keep from being plowed under. Its a highway passing a military base. Since 9-11, the state and Army have been tinkering with the intersection to try and keep traffic moving while maintaining security at the base. They don't quite have it right yet.

Sometimes it just feels right to see the needle at 4-5K, if even only for a moment.
    I never meant to indicate that I never punched it just a bit to hear the K&N howl. I may be even a bit more tempted when the new exhaust system is added. The sound does sort of get to you. But if you do it for more than a short period you can expect the fuel mileage to suffer.
    I have never racked up 500 miles in two weeks time on a car! Actually, I have been on a vacation the past week and that did it. Makes me sad to watch that number go up and up. :( That was mostly highway driving, some slower two lanes and I am getting mid-20's for MPG, WITH the AC running 'cause it's been 90'
    s here all week. Really happy with the smooth ride.
    I am finding that fellow owners here in PA do not wave back. I am starting to feel silly waving.
    Had a former student tell me I had a really cool car :) My hubby finally did get to drive it...once. --cheribaybee
    That's the problem with buying a cool car. You drive it more than you would a plain car. There are times when it would be just as easy to drive my truck on weekends but I then to take the Cruiser out anyway. Here in California more people wave I guess. I guess as they get more popular the waving will become less also.
    According to Chrysler's Service Manual, to change the spark plugs on the PT Cruiser is a 35 Step process. Does anyone know a short cut, that doesn't include dismantling half the engine?
    Here is a site that covers just about any question you might have on PT Cruisers. http://www.ptdoityourself.net/pttechlib.html

I would use the short cut method if it were me. There is a pretty good description on this site.

Owners of 2001 Cruisers are reporting a problem with the routing of the gas line. Apparently it was routed in such a way that it is rubbing against the A/C line. There is a discussion about it at www.ptenthusiasts.org. The person that first reported the problem actually had the gas line wear through, other people have checked and reported that the protective wrap had worn through.
    I just took my PT on its first long cruise through the Sierras in CA. Very smooth, comfortable ride! The owners manual says the oil capacity is 5 quarts. That puts the level over the maximum mark on the dipstick even after driving it 500 miles. I recommend that when you change your oil to keep it to 4 1/2 quarts. Driving it with the level above the "maximum" line on the dipstick is NOT good for the engine!!!! Just trying to help :)
    tommy
  • jrockingjrocking Member Posts: 2
    I've been shopping for a car since Thanksgiving and am considering the Subaru Forester 2003, Honda CR-V, and now the Mazda Protege and PT Cruiser. I live in northern Michigan so had wanted all-wheel drive but re-considered the PT after finding out it has traction control. Has anyone driven it in snowy, slippery road conditions? Will the mileage be even worse in the 2003 PT? And most importantly has anyone seen the scary consumer complaints on the www.nhtsa.dot.gov site on PT's? That has almost scared me away from getting one. I noticed that all of the complaints were on the 2002 model. I'm afraid the car would have a mind of its own as these reports suggest. Sounds very dangerous. I'd love to be convinced otherwise but how can I ignore these reports? Thanks for any input that will help me decide.
    I read the stuff on the site you mentioned. I also checked into other cars, some of which you also mentioned. You will find complaints about EVERY car made!! Its just a matter of luck that the one you get is not shall we say a "lemon". I have just over 2,000 miles on my PT, I have not had any problems at all. It handles well, is quiet, and has enough power to pass other similar vehicles on steep grades. I drove through the Sierra Nevada mountains recently and its the nicest ride I've had in a vehicle that size.(and my back did'nt hurt!) The looks, practicality, price, and waranty are other reasons I don't regret buying the PT. I'm sure many other PT owners will tell you the same. You can buy a boring car and have problems too. Its just the luck of the draw. Hope that helps somewhat.
    tommyblue
    I failed to mention that my PT is a 2002, and I live in the mountains so my commute is a long windy one to work in the city! Never a problem. I'd much rather have my PT (one of four cars I own) than a boring Japanese model. Supporting our economy and people is a good thing too. Be American, buy American. And the PT is a good car based on MANY other consumer reports you can find on the web, as well as car magazines out there. I looked into it before buying one.
    tommyblue
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    How far do PT owners usually travel between fillups?
  • george00george00 Member Posts: 81
    Then why did you buy a German car? Or didn't you hear that Chrysler was bought by Daimler-Benz? In other words, your PT Cruiser is no more American than my Toyota Camry (made by American workers in Kentucky).

There are only 2 American car companies left: GM and Ford. But Ford makes cars in Canada and Mexico and spent the money we gave them for their Buy American campaign on buying whole foreign-car companies, like Volvo, Jaguar, and Aston-Martin. Nor does GM make all of its cars in the good old USA, and nor do its executives buy only American wine with their meals or eat only on American china or crystal or take only American vacations. Moreover, half the time you're putting foreign oil in your gas tank, so a Honda Civic, which makes 10 mpg more than the PT Cruiser, would be a more patriotic car.

I am interested in the PT Cruiser, as my old Honda Accord is getting long in the tooth. Is the PT Cruiser a comfortable car with adequate power to merge on highways, climb mountains, and do it with the A/C on (I live in the desert and the A/C is always on)? Is it reliable? Are the seats comfortable? Is it quiet? If the answers to these questions are no, then do you really think I should buy a PT Cruiser anyway because Chrysler used to be an American company? If the answer is yes, then I certainly will consider a PT Cruiser, even though its bosses live in Stuttgart.
    to debate foreign verses domestic in this forum. For whatever reason people that come to this site are interested in PTs. They are different and have been pretty reliable if the consumer magazines are to be believed. I also live in the mountains and believe that the PT does a respectable job in the snow. I use Spike spiders on the front when it snows and chains are required. In light snow a good set of snow tires seems to work well. I admit that I don't get the same amount of snow as some eastern states do.

I also have a 2002 and it has been trouble free to date. I happened to cross shop some of the same cars asked about in post 336. I might have gone for the Mazda P-5 except there wasn't quite as much room. The Forester was a good car but it was a bit more expensive. The CR-V is still being under manufactured or at least they are harder to deal on here in Southern California. All of these would be good cars. The PT has after market support that you have a hard time finding with the other cars. Just about every question you might have can be answered on line at one of the many PT DIY sites. One of my favorite sites is http://www.ptdoityourself.net/ PTs cry out for you to personalize them and they are cars you can enjoy doing that to. All of these cars are good cars some just have more personality that others.

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser,build April 01. I'm having a paint chipping problem. Color:Cranberry
    I did not mean to get into a foreign car debate, as BOAZ47 mentioned above. Also if you read my post yes I mentioned the PT was comfortable as I spent four days driving through the Sierra Nevada mountains. Yes I knew Diamler bought part of the company. I'd much rather invest in a partially German made product than Japanese vehicle which are made to look good but fall apart or the paint fades out in a few years. Nearly all Hondas made in the 80's to 90's have a paint fade problem. My ex wifes Honda was always in the shop. We hated that car after awhile and traded it in for a Ford Thunderbird which we loved and she is still driving 17 years later. In past years I have driven Japanese cars of all kinds at my workplace and although their engines are somewhat reliable the doorknobs fall off as well as other plastic components (even the PLASTIC radiator drain plug in the honda my ex wife had). My Ford truck which I bought in 1981 has 239,000 ORIGINAL miles on an engine that has yet to even burn oil. I would still buy a Ford, Chrysler, or Chevrolet over any Japanese vehicles such as the Isuzu line or Mitsubishi line which are a total joke. Read the consumer reports on several of these bogus makes of Japanese vehicles. They are out to rip off the American public. And we eat that stuff up. Same with Infinity-another sham. The Lexus is nothing more than a glorified Camry which they make look fancy with the wood interior panels, etc, then jack up the price twenty thousand more than the car is worth. A joke. You will be happy with the PT with the comfort, looks and waranty. Otherwise go buy another Honda or your choice of "premium" Japanese car and enjoy your boring ride.
    Part of the charm of owning a PT is how easy it is to personalize. It has been years since I could walk into just about any parts store and find something to get just for my car. The after market people are all over this car. I have had quite a few cars over the last few years and I can't remember wanting to fix up any as much as I do this one. There are at least three shops close to where I work the specialize in PTs. It is a starting platform like few other cars I have ever had. It reminds me a bit of the old VW craze back when they had the super beetle. Clubs are springing up all over the place and PT owners seem to be pretty friendly as a group. The very few events I have been to people share ideas pretty freely. I started out with a Cold air intake I made myself. I am looking forward to a exhaust system to get that sound we are all looking for. I have done some cosmetic things and have a few more in the works. With the Turbo coming out and then the convertible later it just looks like these cars will be getting better and better.
    yesterday he had just ordered a Turbo PT. He's not sure when it is to arrive. Only available with a stick shift right now. Monochromatic paint, special (diff.) seats.
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    How much did your friend pay? Or, did he merely pre-order one by putting down a deposit?
  • lamronh49lamronh49 Member Posts: 86
    Has anyone tried to rig a cabin air filter like other more costly cars have? Thanks,
    Strange you should mention that. Chrysler has apparently come out with an interior air filter that can be retrofit to the PT Cruiser. Go to the link and scroll down to Example #2 which is the Chrysler air filter. The first example is adding a modified B&S air filter and was posted before the Chrysler filter was available.

http://www.ptdoityourself.net/ptivfguide.html
    MSRP was, but said he got it for $22k fully loaded. (Maybe that's the only that model comes?)
  • george00george00 Member Posts: 81
    Special seats? Do you know in what respect they differ from the standard seats? Thanks.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Wow, I don't think I have ever heard someone slam all Japanese makes as much as you do! I must say though that what you are claiming is very hard to believe. Every car from the 80s and early 90s have paint fade problems; the paint jobs have been through 10-20 years worth of sun for heaven's sake! The worst fade problems occured on late 80s-early 90s GM and Chrysler cars due to a well-documented clear coat problem, so why exactly are you slamming Honda? And comparing current Honda cars to a late-70s to early-80s Honda that you owned 20 years ago is silly at best. I agree their cars weren't the best mechanically back then, but they have come a long way since.

How exactly is Mitsubishi and Isuzu a joke? Ripping Americans off??? Isuzu is partially owned by GM and they share technology. Two friends own an Isuzu and both love it and have no problems. Mitsubishi is owned partially by your beloved Daimler-Chrysler and technology is shared. In fact, the Stratus/Sebring coupes are nothing more then a longer Mitsu Eclipse and have Mitsu engines and trannys. Chrysler has borrowed heavily from Mitsu's engine department in the past. The next Neon is to be built off the Lancer's platform. So if you want to call Mitsu a joke, then you need to be prepared to call Chrysler a joke as well. I owned a 93 Diamante with 173,000 miles. Everything about it was in good condition when I sold it and I still see it on the road today with 185k. My current 02 Lancer has been flawless in its first 9200 miles. Both cars had excellent build quality and proved to be reliable. So I definitely don't see how I was ripped off or other Mitsu owners. Do you believe everything consumer reports says as the gospel?

Lastly, I have to wonder about your comment pertaining to the fit and finish quality of Japanese cars. Japanese cars are known not only for their reliability but for their high standards of fit and finish. Knobs and plastic pieces falling off??? Never heard of such nonsense, except in the context of American made cars like GM and Ford. In 184,000 miles, my mom's 92 Accord never had a plastic piece fall off and was still rattle free and mechanically and electrically perfect. My 85 Honda Civic was a junker as far as the engine was concerned but that interior held up well to 18 years of abuse in Florida heat without tint. Not a single crack in the dash, all plastic pieces were in place, and it was rattle-free. My 92 Miata has 141k and is in excellent condition; considering its a convertible, it's interior has held up exceptionally well and the original paint still looks great. I have to wonder what condition these cars you supposedly drove at work were in. They must have been neglected big time or you are exaggerating. Also, Lexus and Infiniti charge more for their cars then they are worth?? I suppose you are ready to state that Cadillac, Lincoln, and Mercedes are guilty of the same?

I think it's great you love your PT and love being an American, but let's not try to spread false propaganda in order to make your car sound the absolute best.
This discussion has been closed.