Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler PT Cruiser (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    With the 2002 the front passenger seat folded on the touring and limited edition cars. The classic seat didn't fold. I haven't seen a 2003 or a brochure on it yet. There are still a lot of new 2002's about.
  • illini4illini4 Member Posts: 140
    Cruisers use regular 87 octane fuel, except for the Turbo which requires premium.
  • chryslervan1chryslervan1 Member Posts: 52
    Another reason DC needs to make a larger version with room for a more economical, better performing PT with a V6. The DC 3.8L currently has same power ratings as the Turbo 2.4L I4 and will probably require less maintenance. If DC wanted to really have a performer, put the 3.5L V6 300M engine into a larger PT Cruiser.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I heard on the news tonight that all PtCruisers are being recalled for a fuel leak. You should all be receiving your notices soon. Good luck!
  • chryslervan1chryslervan1 Member Posts: 52
    I heard the news also and am glad you gave the reason for the recall of ALL PT Cruisers.
  • charlienascar1charlienascar1 Member Posts: 2
    I have not seen the actual news, but I heard that the PT Cruiser fuel leak recall is to decrease the chance of the fuel line or filter being severed and leaking after a crash. The recall involves installing a cover.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I called my dealer to make sure mine wasn't affected (it isn't), so it's not ALL CRUISERS. The way the service manager explained it was it's a quick and easy "fix". This is one of those, "maybe, could be, perhaps" a problem if the crash is done in exactly the right place with the exact right amount of force. Nothing's been reported and Chrysler's doing it on their own dime.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    He told you wrong then. All 450,000 Cruisers were recalled. The 01 and 02 models were recalled for 2 possible leaks whereas the older ones have only 1 possible leak. The main problem is with the fuel pump needing an extra top seal to avoid leaks in accidents. The 01 and 02 models have a possible leak under the hood. The fuel line runs too close to an AC line and can be worn over time.
    Mine's an '03.
  • tommybluetommyblue Member Posts: 20
    I proudly bought my new Stone White PT in May. I love the car. Why are all kinds of people giving me a hard time saying its a "chick car". GOD I hear this ALL THE TIME. I know what your going to say-don't let what people say bother you. Well I was fine with it but man it just does'nt stop!! From my bosses to co-workers to neighbors. Its getting depressing!! I'm a 43 year old guy I can't think of any other car I really want. I feel all self-consious driving down the road now.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    just like what you like. Why worry about what other people think. By the way, I don't think its a chick car. In fact I hear more interest in it from men than I do women. It's not the car for me, but it is a good offering that's different from just about anything else out there (that's good!).
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    that drive Corvettes too!
    I don't think I've seen one woman yet driving any of the PT Cruisers I've seen on the road. If you go to any of the other Cruiser internet sites, you'll notice the vast majority of owners are men, who like to customize and modify their Cruisers.

Not that women aren't welcome in this little fraternity. As a matter of fact, most Cruiser groups could use a little estrogen injection to balance all of the "machismo" that seems to permeate throughout the Cruiser owners.

I went to my first "Cruise-In" last weekend. OUt of the 30 or so Cruisers that were there, only one was owned by the fairer sex.

Sounds like your co-workers are jealous.
    Women driving PT's here in Austin. But then I know quite a few Males who try thier best to influence the choice of thier "Fairer Sex". So they have the chance to drive it too!
  • boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    my first Cruiser event last Saturday. It was a local event in Lancaster. It has been a long time since I have been to a event where people like their cars as much as Cruiser people do. The last time I had this much fun was maybe 15 years ago when I went to several sports car events. I did get a few customizing ideas and I think I just might order a few parts this weekend. I can tell one thing, fuzzy dice are mandatory.
  • hardoohardoo Member Posts: 31
    I've heard the same thing, especially from my father-in-law, as I've been shopping for a new car. I think there is the perception that guy cars sacrifice appearance for performance, while chick cars sacrifice performance for appearance. And the Cruiser is certainly more of a looker than a performer. But there also comes a time in a man's life when performance should take a backseat to practicality, functionality, utility, and afforability, and the Cruiser seems like a reasonable compromise.

Pat
    at all the Rallys there seems to be a lot of men owning PTs. Today performance cars are image as much as anything else. The P-5 is considered a performer in most of the auto mags yet the times of the PT and the P-5 are just about the same. I think what makes the PT attractive to many owners is practicality but also after market support. The Honda Civic is no pocket rocket stock but many a Nissan owner has lost a few bucks to Honda owners because of after market support. Getting a PT is like buying a car show quality car with 80 percent of the work done. The owner that wants to fix up their PT has a whole wealth of after market people that have a ready made supply of interior as well as exterior parts to customize their cars. These parts are within reason compared to many of the other brands of cars one might buy today. Engine and exhaust parts are just as easy to find. The new Turbo may entice some younger buyers into the club but I think the real lady killer will be the Convertible. My wife has already said she wouldn't mind getting one when they come out.
  • tommybluetommyblue Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the feedback regarding it being a chick car. I feel better, and like some folks said in the feedback-other people are just probably jealous. I love my PT, the style, room inside (I'm 6'2 and its unbelievably easy to get into)and the way it handles the road. I also feel good about the 7/100K waranty and the support I keep hearing about. So I'll keep my stone white treasure shined up and keep waving and you other folks out there!! CRUISE ON!!
    You got it. Let the others whine. You know better as you cruise with that smile on your face.
    live and in person had a set of Chrome Custom Wheels on it and was absolutely gorgeous! Fell in love with the White right then. About the only color I've seen that I don't care for is that Aqua color. Apparently they don't have a plain red. When first lookinhg at them on the web before they were out they did have a red. And at least on the Website it didn't look that good. The Inferno is really sharp though.
  • lucky35lucky35 Member Posts: 1
    I BOUGHT MY PT ON MARCH 31, 02. I LIKE THE CAR, BUT AM HAVING TROUBLE. MY HUSBAND FOUND, BY ACCIDENT THAT MY ROCKER PANELS ARE CRUSHED. I'M CONCERNED BECAUSE OF STRUCTURE PROBLEMS. WHEN WE TRIED TO TAKE IT TO THE DEALER, THEY DON'T WANT TO HELP. AS IT TURNS OUT ALL OF THEM HAVE THE PROBLEM, JUST SOME ARE WORSE THAN OTHERS. ON DIFFERENT SIDES ALSO. HOW IS YOUR GAS MILEAGE? I HAD BETTER MILEAGE IN MY GRANDCARAVAN. OTHER THAN THAT I LIKE THE CAR. I WANTED THE PLUM AT FIRST, THEY COULDN'T FIND ME ONE WITH THE EQUIPMENT ON IT THAT I WANTED, SO I SELECTED THE RED.
  • illini4illini4 Member Posts: 140
    That's a new one. More info please. I can assure you that "all of them" don't have this problem, whatever it is. I think its also safe to say that there are no structural problems with the Cruiser.
    I'd be interested in what you consider "rocker panels". I know that if quarter panels were all crushed, your car would look like hell. Didn't you notice this before you purchased it?

What kind of MPG were you getting on the Caravan? How are you figuring your MPG?
    The Rocker panel would be located right under the door. If this is damaged you would have to have high centered on something pretty hard. Most often you see rocker panel damage on 4X4s. As far as gas milage? I have never had a van get more the 20 MPG even with a tail wind. If someone has a Grand Caravan that gets 24 or 25 they should keep it. My PT gets between 23 and 29 depending on how much freeway driving I do. If you want any information on what is normal and what is not go to. http://www.ptdoityourself.net/pttechlib.html
  • redturboboyredturboboy Member Posts: 25
    Crushed rocker panel. Didn't it knock your teeth out or something? As far a being a chick car, the same is said about the Miata and all vans and jeeps., VWs on and on.
    about the PT is that there are so many things you can do to make it better than Stock. You can make them look better or run better or both. I have also found that people that don't like PTs make up things about them. Most of us that own PTs have heard these people and have to just set back and smile.
  • shill3shill3 Member Posts: 124
    I am seeing more and more PT's and easily half are driven by women. But, considering that women make up a little more than 1/2 of the population, is that surprising? I also see a lot of big SUV's driven by women as well as Wranglers and pick-ups, but no one calls them "chick" cars. How about accords and camry's, lots of those around, driven by both genders and still no lable, except maybe boring : )

Drive what you like. To heck with what your friends call it.
    a couple of days or so ago. I pointed it out to my eldest son as a competitor to the PT Cruiser and asked which one he preferred. He showed an amazing amount of diplomacy in hesitating and asking which one I liked.

My boys are also convinced that the PT Cruiser is the hottest thing on four wheels, the only debate is whether my wifes auto is faster or slower than my 5 speed.
    Ummmm....I see more women than men in:

-Honda Accords, CRVs,Odysees, and Pilots (are all Hondas chick cars?)
    -VW New Beetles and Cabriolets
    -Ford Explorers and windstars
    -all Mazdas (except Miatas)
    -BMW 3 series convertibles
    -Cadilac Eldorados
    -Most Jaguars
    -All Chrysler minivans
    -Toyota RAV 4, Matrix, Solara, Avalon, Highlander and Corolla (again, are all Toyotas "chick cars"?)
    -Chevy Cavalier convertibles
    -Infiniti I30s and G20s
    -Lexus ES300s
    -Most Hyundais

Not many PT Cruisers, though. Saw the first woman driving one this morning. That's in all 2-3 years worth since they've been out.
    after market places that cater to the PT it is hard to think of them as chick cars. Chick cars have to come from the factory that way in most cases. The PT has whole web sites dedicated to helping someone fix up their PT something many cars do not seem to have. The PT has become a club car faster than just about any other car I have seen. Because women represent about half of the drivers in the US I am sure that we will see several who both own and drive PTs. I am just not sure anyone could assume that they are over represented as either owners or drivers.
    to get the recall performed on my wifes car and to take care of the squealing drivers side window. We'll find out how 5 star the dealer is. I was able to get the service writer to ensure that the parts would be there for the window as my wife doesn't want to give up her car for any longer than she has to.

Other than that window, both our cars have been trouble free.
    and the fact that my service writer has a PT that he is doing many of the same things I am doing but I like my service. I took my PT in for the recall and had it fixed. They didn't even blink at my K&N intake or my dynomax exhaust. If you put on a cold air intake, should be called a cooler air intake, the car will not be that much faster but it will sound and pull a touch better. Add a free flowing exhaust and you can tell the difference. Like the FYI page said you are just moving the HP curve up a bit and it doesn't add torque but the power band seems a bit wider. If nothing else it sounds better.
  • hardoohardoo Member Posts: 31
    A post on another board prompted me to consider the following question: which color is most flattering to the PT Cruiser? I like the black and the silver, and I'd probably pick the latter as the former would show off dirt and dust and attract the Florida sun too much. Thoughts?

P.J.Heff
    I'm partial to the "inferno red" myself, because that's what I own. Looks really good on the Cruisers.

A also like the black, but it will be difficult to keep clean.

Nothin wrong with silver. I just see so many silver ones out there.
    I agree. Black and inferno red are the nicest colors for the Cruiser. Patriot blue (the dark royal blue) is also very elegant. Silver is way too common.
  • karluvver1karluvver1 Member Posts: 19
    I think it shows off the lines of the PT the best and contrasts well with the bumpers and mirrors. And it matches my hair!
    Almond Pearl because I felt it was the most retro looking color. It is the lightest color Car I have had in many years and turns out to be a lot easier to keep clean than the last two Red cars I have had. I gave up on trying to keep a Black car looking clean years ago. I am sure that people with the time can take care of the darker colored cars and I have seen some with after market flame jobs and chrome accents that look pretty cool. I cover my car with a car cover and use one of the car dusters every day.
  • redturboboyredturboboy Member Posts: 25
    Anymore response about the crushed panels on a PT Cruiser?
    I think that dark royal blue is probably my 2nd choice, but not by much. Inferno red and royal blue are very "deep" looking. I don't know what kind of paint Chrysler is using for these colors, but they both look very rich.
    I did get the recall performed on my wifes car and the squealing window was corrected. When the service writer tested it it didn't make any noise but they did replace the regulator and the window is quieter than when it was working well. We dropped the car off about 7:30 and had it back a bit after 1.

Mine is next but I can wait as they perform the recall.
    I stayed while they fixed mine and was out in about an hour and a half. I guess it only takes about 30 to 40 minutes to fix.
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    As I would rather call it. Anyone with one of these please shave all of the GT markings off of it as soon as you can. It looks stupid.

Well, anyway, I saw my first PT Turbo in Okemos, MI. It was a Silver one. I first just looked at it, turned my head. Did a double take and took a look at the front bumper. Either this was a custom paint job, or someone actually bought one of these powerhouses. Saw the ugly badging on the back (well, this was when I decided it really was ugly), and stared until I could see no more. Beautiful.

And then I saw an '03 Lincoln LS, this time wearing Manufacturer plates. They could go sans the Tailight treatment I thought. It just didn't look right. Then I saw another LS, sitting side by side, a previous model, and I said, someone really was thinking when they did the treatment. It looks much better now. It's amazing what some new tailights can do to a car.

Just my 2¢.
    They asked me if I wanted to stay. I had a wife to get to work and a child to get to school so I declined. When I do mine, I will be footloose and fancy free.

What a pity, I guess I'll have to test sit all the cars.

BTW, when I made the appointment, I did so in person. I had my youngest son with me and afterwards we went into the showroom, where he hopped from car to car testing the seats. He thought the GT Cruiser was cool
    Last Spring, on the way to church, I followed another Steel Blue 2002 right into our parking lot. It turns out the owner and his wife, who at the time were visiting churches to find one to join, were owners of an Inferno Red and a Steel Blue Cruiser as are my wife and I. Yesterday, they were back and it turns out they're joining our church. What are the odds that such a small church would have two identical pairs of cars.

Actually they are identical to a point, my wifes and my car are both stock, his wifes car is stock and his is modified.
  • lfikelfike Member Posts: 38
    Hi everyone,
    Besides the window noise up and down on both the driver and passenger side and the recalls...has anyone had a problem with oil around the tranny (5 speed) or rear engine seal?....this is really getting scary. We have several Cruisers where I work and only 1 has not had any problems other than the recalls. We have everything from replacing the clutch...(car just refused to budge) to having the wipers come on by themselves.
    Any thoughts on the oil leak would be helpful. Yes, I've taken it to the dealer....they can't seem to locate it so we are trying the ole (dye in the oil trick). I'm just trying to speed things up here with the fix. The garage floor looks like crap. Thanks and God Bless America
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    My wife and I are looking at our 1st PT (I like them too-no chick car here) and I haven't read any real complaints or problems. Have there been any problems other than window recalls or do these cars truly hold up. Also, how is service at dealerships(warranty, service, etc.) I'm coming from GM products so I guess anything is an improvement. Also, if anyone has the turbo yet and is it worth the extra money. We both have heavy right foot syndrome so it may be a good investment.
    The window squeal is not a recall item. Certain PT's do exhibit the problem, there is a TSB on the problem, but that is just an instruction from the factory on correcting the problem. My wife had the window corrected on her car during the fuel pump recall, the corrected window is now silent. My car was a few months newer and the window is quiet.

Recalls? The 2001's had a recall on the LATCH system. The mounting points were too thick to fit the child seats. There was also the fuel pump recall, basically adding a second seal to the fuel pump to prevent leakage as the result of an accident and rollover. The crash test generated a bit of leakage, my understanding is that there have been no real world problems. There was also a number of cars released with the fuel line improperly routed around the A/C line, causing wearing and abrading of the fuel line. That recall is also current.

2002 recalls: The early production run (prior to mid August) had a potential problem with the computer which could cause the dashboard lighting to fail. A simple software flash corrected it. The fuel pump recall is the only one affecting a large number of cars, it takes only about 30 minutes to correct.

Not to sound alarming, the PT Cruiser has so far proven to be quite reliable. The body is amazingly tight and quiet, even high mileage models are demonstrating no creaks or groans (other than the groans of the driver upon spotting a rogue Aztek) A number of buyers now own turbos and love them. The turbo has to be one of the bargains of the year. If I didn't love my two 2002's so much, I might consider trading one in on a turbo, but I'm happy with what I have.
    I have the PT GT Turbo. I'm simply amazed by this car. It's built very well...very substantial feel...doors & hatch all operate with a very satisfying "thunk". Paint is very lustrous. All body panels are straight. No squeaks, rattles. Just a very solid "all of a piece" feeling to the entire car.

Interior is incredible for a car at this price point. Love the "sports seats"...very comfy and secure.

The turbo really transforms this car/wagon/minivan/small SUV (whatever you want to call it). Handling is great. No turbo lag. I've embarrased some sports cars with it. It is very fast. I've done my own 0-60 with the autostick...did it in 6.6 sec.

Although, I haven't been to my dealer at all, the service dept seems to be cordial and knowledgeable when I took delivery.

The PT GT has to be the bargain among anything that comes close to its price range. It offers more room, better handling, is faster, more versatile, is built as well (or better) than anything I've come across (including Toyotas and Hondas).

Of course, styling wise, it's a car that doesn't lack in style or will ever go out of style.

Not really a complaint, but the steering is a tad light for my tastes, but there's good communication from the road.

Ride is great. Only big bumps are felt. I was really surprised at how quiet the car is.

Can you tell I'm pleased?
    I have a 2002 PT and so far am as pleased as I can be. Chrysler is not Saturn when it comes to dealer service but then who is? My dealer service has been about what you would expect from any dealer and while not as fast as some they have been friendly. I think the proof in the pudding is that I am looking forward to getting the convertible when it comes out. If getting a second PT is any indication to how someone likes a car this is one for me. This is one of the first times that both JD Powers and Consumer Reports has liked the same car I have.
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    Like graphicguy, I have an 03 turbo. Agree with much of what he says but be aware of a few negatives:

A/C isn't so great. Yes, it works, but it is not like a unit from Toyota or GM. more like a Honda. Eventually cools, but takes its time getting there.

Seats are comfortable, but if you are bigger than average the seat support on winding roads is just so-so.

Reflections in the windshield are the worst I have ever seen. Problem is there day and night.

Cruise control downshifts going DOWN hill. On some steep freeway hills where none of my other cars have (15 other cars with cruise control through the years) downshifted and none of my current cars (2 others) downshift going downhill, the PT does. The owner's manual says this will happen, so it is a design of the unit. I find it annoying. BTW, I haven't found a hill steep enough for the car to need to downshift going UP a hill.

Turning circle is very big (43 feet for the turbo) for a small car: Not a problem except in tight parking situations.

Service: My dealer is not 5 star (yet) but gives very good service. DC (Chrysler, the manufacturer) isn't as good when it comes to customer concerns. Example: My rear washer weeps. The dealer would like to make a repair but DC says there is no authorized repair and they haven't received many complains (meaning there won't be any authorized repair until there are many more complaints?). This isn't necessarily any worse than other manufacturers, but it is not what I expected either.

While the ride is comfortable and the noise level inside okay, it is not trip car smooth or quiet. Maybe I'm getting old fashioned here, but quiet and road isolation is nice for a long trip. Local (two hours or less) driving is where a little extra noise and more interaction with the road is a plus. The PT is for local fun and it is outstanding at that.

At delivery, the quality of assembly was as good as any car I have bought (better than my Acura and Toyota). Only one very minor problem found. At 1200 miles, the only problem is with the rear washer.

My turbo is not as fast as graphicguy's, but it is quick too. Starting traction is a problem if one wants to make a fast start on less than ideal road surfaces.

Even driven easy, mpg is not high. Our turbo gets about 14-15 in local to the store and to school type driving and about 22 on the freeway (In SoCal the speeds are very high just going with the flow). This is about as expected based on EPA, talking to other owners, and posts on BBs. No complaint from me, but I would like a larger tank for more range. Some will get better mpg because their local driving is less like gridlock and they can drive closer to the speed limit on the freeway without the fear of being rear ended.
    Even with the negatives I feel it is just too much fun not to be on someone's short list of practical fun cars. It is still number one on our list.
This discussion has been closed.