Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Eagle Talon - Need Advice

mikebevmikebev Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Eagle
I have an opportunity to buy a '92 Talon for my
son; it has about 130,000 miles on it. Does
anyone
have any pros/cons/experience that can help me? I
would really appreciate ANY advice. For example,
how's the gas mileage, insurance, repair history?
As you can tell, I know almost nothing about the
make. Thanks.

Comments

• 181kmiles181kmiles Member Posts: 29
    well first i need some key info about the talon. is it turbo and all wheel drive?? if it is i wouldnt buy it with 130000 miles. turbo wears an engine alot faster and usually gives the car premature head gasket problems. also get all the service records. if they have them see how often the oil was changed and how the schedualed maintainance was kept up. if the car was amintained according to the dealerships recomendations then the people probably took care of it and you wont have anything to worry about. if a car is properly maintained then you can get any car to go 200000 miles
  • mikebevmikebev Member Posts: 3
    It IS all-wheel/turbo, and I'm getting the service records. I really appreciate your taking the time to write back. Thanks again.
    also if its all wheel drive/turbo then it is probably stick shift. look in the service records especially for a clutch to have been done. if there isnt one and you still want to buy it knock $1000 off the price for a clutch because thats how much aporximatly its going to cost for one parts and labor. when you get the service records look for dealership maintainence and parts. try to avoid aftermarket parts. also look for the clutch job and the head gasket especially.
    those are very important when you have a turbo car. look for the oil chage to be done every 2000 miles not 3000. turbos need oil changes more frequently. if you have any other questions just post and ill answer them. bye now
    also i forgot to mention the insurance on that car will be relatively higher because its turbo and all wheel drive. i believe its classified as a sports car and they are more expensive on insurance. im not too sure how much but i know they are. the gas milage on that car is good for what it is. if you buy it for your son hes probably gonna beat it around. and as you know the harder you drive a car the worse the gas mileage is. but he will probably be paying for gas right?? if you make him do that he will learn really quick. thats what my dad did to me and i learned quick. so just take into concideration when you buy him a car. if i may make a suggestion about buying a car for your son. you could get a honda civic for about the same price same year with the same mileage and in my opinion a better car. he will get better gas milage and it wont cost as much on the insurance. it will last alot longer too because it can take a beating better. i drive a 91 honda civic hatchback and it has just hit 183 k miles. it has the original engine, transmission, and clutch. right now the transmission is starting to go because the main shaft bearing is shot. but what do you expect after 183 k miles. with me as a driver my dads policy, me being 18 year old male, driveing that car with comprehensive insurance in ny state my dad pays about $1000 a year to insure that car. it has automatic seatbelts and is classified as an economy car. the insurance isnt that bad. for gas , at 1.61 a gallon, to fill up my car from fumes never goes over $16. and i get 300 miles to a tank local driveing. i just recently drove to maryland and got 293 miles on 7.8 gallons of gas. that is with a bad 4 spd manual transmission. that is 37 mpgs. so gas sint a problem. but also that car was maintainted meticulously over those 183 k miles. dont get me wrong im not saying the eagle talon is a bad car. i just dont think it would be right for your son becaseu im a kid too and i know what he will do with it. besides that car is very fast so he will wind up paying alot in speeding tickets. but he is your son and you can get him what you want. im just trying to give you friendly advice. just make sure you get those service records with every used car you buy. have fun with it im here if you have any more questions
  • mikebevmikebev Member Posts: 3
    Wow; never expected all THAT help. Thanks a lot. I was thinking of the Honda too...or a Mazda. You're right on all counts on turbos. Even with routine (2000 mile) maintenance, I really don't want one. He drove our Mazda MX6 and was great with it, but an uninsured motorist took care of that. I think I'll stick with Hondas or Mazdas. You underscored all my thoughts. Thanks again for all the great advice.
    anytime im here for you if you need any help you can email me at t_kastanza@hotmail.com. i just wasnt sure about giving you all that advice because i didnt know how youd feel about taking advice from an 18 year old. i dont really have that much experience with mazda but from what i understand they are a good car. there is only one car that is better then a honda in comsumer reports. that is a toyota. but i believe the resale value on a honda is higher. so if it were up to me id stick woth the honda. your welcome for all the help.
    im just curious what did you decide. let me know ok??

thanx alot
  • cantdecide17cantdecide17 Member Posts: 2
    Im looking into buying a newer car, and ive narrowed my choices between a 98 Talon, or an Eclipse of the same year, do you have any advice for me....i know they both have the same basic engine.....but what are some differences that would be a deciding factor for me? any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • jaclinjaclin Member Posts: 1
    I just got an Eagle Talon with manual transmission. I don't know anything about stick shifting. I would assume,while in first gear, a person could start and stop without a problem. Well, I took the car out around the block. It took me awhile to figure out how to get the wheels rolling. Later, I even figured out how to back up. The problem I have is with stopping. Every time I stop, frontwards or backwards, the car starts jerking like crazy and dies on me. Now, I've never driven a stick shift before so I might be doing something wrong. I did notice a light was on under the steering wheel to the left. Just a little round red light that is always on. I didn't know if that could be draining the power or not. I do know that I need to solve this problem quickly, however. Also, could anyone tell me if it's possible to get an engine converted to automatic or would that cost so much that it would be cheaper to trade it in for one? I just got it and it looks great, but I have to figure out why it won't stop without dying. Can anyone help?
  • tiboutibou Member Posts: 1
    I find this a little funny. Please excuse me. If you have ever heard anyone talk about standards, they often say that the "stalled" the car. Now this means that they didn't clutch or imporperly shifted. You are not cluching when you stop, so the car stalls. Just clutch and break and you'll be fine.

Please tell me if this helps.

Tylan
  • zerodivide0zerodivide0 Member Posts: 1
    ok im getting a 97 talon.. there is no Esi marking or anything on it, 33,000 miles... clean.. how do i know what modle it is?
  • bjorn_95talonbjorn_95talon Member Posts: 1
    Check under the hood for a turbo then check the trunk and look for a lump in the middle of it. If it has a turbo with no lump in the trun, it's a TSI FWD, if it has a lump in the trunk and a turbo under the hood it's TSI AWD. The lump in trunk is where the rear differential sits.
  • devonbrentdevonbrent Member Posts: 1
    Simple things for a novice to check -

If the battery is on the left side of the engine, it's a turbo. If the battery is on the right side, it's an NA (normally aspirated, non turbo engine).

If you want to figure out if it's an ESi or base model - ESi has a rear windshield wiper, base model does not.

As for an older question - the Eclipse and the Talon are the EXACT same car, except for body style, that's it. It just depends if you want to pay more for the Eclipse than the Talon of the same year.

RS = base
    GS = ESi
    GS-T = TSi
    GS-X = TSi AWD
    GS Spyder and GS-T Spyder had no Eagle equiv.

Another note - properly maintained means SYNTHETIC oil for turbos, not dino (normal) oil. It costs more, but what is more costly? A bit of oil, or an engine/turbo rebuild? Turbos make the engine run hotter. Synth oil can take the hotter temps. We've got many guys in the club with 100k+ miles on their cars, and they are drag racing them to boot. These are reliable cars *IF* you take care of them. This goes for any car though. You simply have to take more care with something that is a performace vehicle.

Devon
  • thunder0921thunder0921 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into buying a 1995 Eagle Talon TSI AWD. I read a little about the problems that may be assoicated with Turbocharged engines. Does a turbocharged engine not last as long as a normal one. Would you advise an ESI over a TSI if the longevity of the car is a serious concern. How far will a TSI AWD take me if it is maintened well. Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

Thunder.
  • SPYDER98SPYDER98 Member Posts: 239
    To maintain one of these vehicles you need to be meticulous with it.
    A typically well maintained dsm turbo engine, should last you 150k miles on average. Stock of course.
    Although on rare occasions, I've seen ones with over 200k.

1# Always cool your turbo by letting your car idle for a few minutes when done driving. (Especially after being on the highway!)

2# Frequent oil changes. 2500 miles with conventional oil and "premium" filter. The oil gets dark and dirty real quick. I recommend using mobil 1 and changing it every 5k.

3# New timing belt every 60k miles.
    New spark plugs every 30k. Full tuneup every 60k with new plug wires. Fresh coolant every 60k.
    Tranny fluid every 60k, Differential fluid every 60k also.

In case you don't know, any 95+ eclipse gs/rs or talon esi, come with 2.0L dodge neon motors. Its a completely different motor and has nothing in common with the 2.0l turbo.
    If you drive both and compare the difference, the last thing on your mind will be reliability :-D
    The awd dsm's are one of best well rounded, all season sports cars you can buy. For the money of course..

Its not as reliable as honda or toyota.
    But with a little extra care, these cars should'nt give you any headaches and will reward you with there performance.
  • laker02laker02 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the town hall and I've got a question for anyone who may have advice or experience with turbos. About a year ago, I bought a '91 Talon Tsi Turbo AWD, and it has about 105k miles on it. Shortly after I bought it, it began to hesitate when I accelerated. The best I can describe it is that between about 20-50 mph, the boost gauge will go up to about half way or sometimes higher, but the car will not want to accelerate as it should. It "bogs down" or accelerates slowly and erratically until it reaches about 50 mph and then takes off. On the highway it runs fine, and it does not hesitate all the time; some days are better than others. I don't know if this indicates serious turbo problems or something else. I've asked around, and the most anyone can tell me is that it pretty much is a guessing game to find out what's going on. A friend mentioned that it might be the fuel pump, but he is no expert. I would appreciate advice from anyone who has an idea of what may be wrong.
    Before you start dumping to much money into the car. Try taking the economical approach. Replace these things first.
    1# fuel filter
    2# spark plugs
    3# spark-plug wires especially!(Solves alot of problems like this. These car are known for chewing up plug wires due to the extreme heat these engines put out)

Good luck!
  • benwah93awdbenwah93awd Member Posts: 2
    Here are few sites to check for help to your problem laker02, I can't seem to remember what the resolution to that problem is, you are not the alone with that one. The first site www.dsm.org which stands for Diamond Star Motors (ie Mitsubishi/Chrysler joint thing early 90s) they made the Mitsubishi Eclipse/Eagle Talon/ Plymouth Laser in Normal,IL. Anyway enough of the history, this site has all kinds of info on these cars plus many links to solve common problems with these cars. Also if you want a quick response post a message on www.machv.com message board. This guy sells all kinds of goodies to make your car go faster plus there are many people on there that know these cars inside and out. I just purchased a 1993 Eagle Talon TSI Turbo AWD (140,000 miles and can't tell) this summer and I'm still learning new things from these people about my car. The one thing that stands out is for the money its hard to to find another car with similar performance and the many options for it that are available to make it go crazy fast. So don't lose hope on yours just yet, I've had a few problems myself cuz it's still a used car. It's all worth it though when you get somebody at a red light. Especially with an AWD, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, anyway enough rambling good luck, Ben.
  • mmepmmep Member Posts: 1
    Wanting to rid myself of an Aerostar mini van- as I hate driving it in the winter!! Looked at a '92 Talon today 5speed Turbo TSI AWD. Car seemed to be in fantastic shape with 87,000 miles on her. Asking price of $3995. What do you think people???? SHould I go for it? ANyone have experience driving one of these in snowy conditions? What problems (or pleasures) should I expect from this car? ANy advice would be really appreciated! I realize its not really a family car, but since I am in the throws of a midlife crisis.... well.... :-)
  • ra184ra184 Member Posts: 3
    I'm getting a new car and have narrowed it down between a 97 eclipse GS-X or a 97 BMW 328i. Due to the struggling car market, i can pick up either one for about $12-15,000 depending on the millage.
    I would be purchasing the eclipse with about 45,000 miles on it. My main concern is the reliability of the eclipse. I know i'll have to rely on how the previous owner treated the turbo, but i'm concerned about the upkeep of a the eclipse, not just the turbo but the overall package. If some TSI owners could let me know what to expect, i would be grateful.
    thanks,
    scott
  • macko003macko003 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a '95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD with 120,000 actual miles. However, the engine and turbo were rebuilt at 80k miles. It is being sold for $6200 obo and I would like some other opinions as to whether or not this is a good buy or should I stay away from a Talon with that many miles. Thanks.
  • tracy27tracy27 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 91 Talon front wheel drive on turbot It has a terrible surging problem and no body can figure out what is wrong. When it is in park and running it reeves up and down all by it self. Also when I am driving it at slower speeds it does it while driving jerks you back and forth, and puts alot of pressure on the brakes(kind like I still have my foot on the gas). We have had a diagnostic check on it but they can't find the problem. Have you ever heard of something like this going wrong? And what do you think I should try?? It runs perfect except for that problem and I would like to get it fixed since I got the car pretty cheap but don't have the money for a bunch of tests done that won't fix the problem. If you have any advice I could really use it. Thanks Tracy,
  • amc12amc12 Member Posts: 1
    Tracy,

I have a 92 Talon and it recently started doing the *EXACT* same thing you describe - reving up and down in park, etc....I have tried explaining this to people and no one here knows either! Please let me know if you find out anything and I will do the same!!

You can email me directly too at 'amc12@duke.edu'

Thanks,
    Amy
  • feistychickfeistychick Member Posts: 2
    ok im looking for a second car to have fun w/in the summer. currently i have my eye on a 94 eagle talon, 4 cyl, 5 spd i dont know much about them could someone please email me at fiestybrunette00@aol.com to let me know info such as durability, engine, cost of parts such as a basic tune up, brakes, clutch replacement, and how easy it is to get to your basic equipment under the hood (such as changing your own oil, tune up etc.) thanks!
  • seahawk23seahawk23 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a used eclipse/talon car. Is 1993 eagle talon exactly same as eclipse for that year? The car I am getting is 1.8 lt. base model(92 bhp). It has done 106k miles. Would it be wiser to buy a talon which has already done so many miles?
    Also how about the reliability of this car?
    The one I drove seems to be in a pretty good shape but only problem I've noticed is that the car doesn't have a PICK-UP (as Eclipses are supposed to have.)
    What's the price that I may expect to pay for 1990-1994 eclipse/talon which has done 90-110k miles?
    Thanks
  • wat32wat32 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1997 Talon TSI AWD. I've enjoyed driving this car but today I've seriously begun to regret choosing it. It sure was fun when it was all shiny black and new. However shortly after getting it I started to have trouble with the clutch. It was an odd problem, I found that when I was turning left and attempting to shift there was no resistance on the clutch peddel, the shifter wouldn't move out of gear and if I took my foot off the clutch it remained stuck to the floor. It didn't happen every time but it got so that I could almost predict the corners on my way home from work where it would happen. I took the car into the dealership at least 4 times but to no avail. They changed the spring behind the clutch several times and this made no difference what so ever. Finally the disassembled the clutch, said they couldn't see anything and reassembled it. After this the problem seemed to disappear however the clutch still felt "funny" at times. I should mention that on my way home after that work the clutch began to slip more and more till I couldn't drive the car. I had to get it towed back to the dealer to have it re-adjusted!

Later I noticed that when the car was idling, the oil pressure began dropping to the bottom of the safe operating range. Immediately I took the car in. The dealer replaced the sensor twice and the gauge once to no effect. Finally the removed the oil pan to discover wear on the crank shaft and the main bearing failing. This was at 53,000 km (~33,000 miles). 4 weeks and one new crank later I finally got my car back. I drove 1 block and turnd back to the dealer with a check engine light on. they forgot to plug something in. The next day I was back with a U/S tach. Again this was due to an improper connection. Finally one week later (last week), the first time with the cart on the highway and guess what, the gear box craps out. Now I'm being told by Chrysler that this isn't warranty (I'm past 3 years) and I'll have to pay the $4,200.00 ($2,700.00 US) for a new gear box.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that the gear failure isn't in some way related to all of the other power train defects that the car suffered from previously. Additionally, every time I have taken my car in for work I have had to return to get the repair fixed the next day.

It's funny too cause my other car is a Dodge Avenger ES, made, I believe in the same plant as the Talon and the only problem I've had with it is a leaky rad hose.
    Your going through the infamous Crankwalk.

This is a known problem with 5sp dsm's. Mitsubishi/Chrysler knows about this, but will not do a recall on the problem.

Many people are suffering your pain.

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/crankwalktheory.htm

• mospeedmospeed Member Posts: 1
    those are all the signs of crankwalk. Sorry...
  • mohitm1mohitm1 Member Posts: 1
    I've seen a Std. 1992 Eagle Talon which has clocked 90,000 miles. It seems to be in good shape though -- inside and outside.
    The vehicle has most fittings :- a/c, all power, decent stereo etc. ( But no sun-roof. )
    I request you for the following advise :-
    - Is this a reliable car ?
    - Is it expensive to maintain ?
    - Is 90,000 miles on the higher side ?
    What amount should I offer the owner.

Will appreciate your advise/tips.
    Tks./Mo
    A none turbo talons in 92 were ESI model 2.0L 4cyl's rated at 135hp.

I've never heard of any major issues with them.
    There not expensive to maintain, just make sure the timing belts are replaced every 60k.

As long as the car has a clean title and has no mechnenical issues.
    I would look to settle on a price between 1500-2000.
  • rmtraderrmtrader Member Posts: 30
    Tracy / Amy,

I had a similar problem with my 1991 Talon several years ago and three separate dealerships could not determine what was wrong. The fourth did, however. The oxygen sensor needed replacing. Why diagnostic tests could not determine the problem initially is beyond me. Hope this helps both of you.

-Dave
  • alkdarfalkdarf Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at a 1995 TSi AWD with 78000 Km on it. It stayed in for the first two winters, has been oil treated so there is no rust on there. The brakes were just changed and there is a probably transferrable extended warraty that goes all the way to Feb 2003. The guy is asking 13500$ CAN.

Does this look like a deal or am I getting [non-permissible content removed]-raped by a Gorilla? What kind of maintenance cost am I looking at?

Thanx a bunch!
    But I'll gladly take getting ripped off on a car over a gorilla on my back anyday!!!
    Lets see here...thats about $9000 US (I would think) and roughly 50k miles I would say.
    I just checked edmunds here and if the cars fully loaded and in tip top condition. The "dealer" retail is about $9000.

"Private" party price is around $7500.

Look like a deal...Nope.
    Especially since the expensive 60k mile service is coming up.

But I'm also not sure if these prices mean anything in Canada.
  • 4g63bt4g63bt Member Posts: 1
    These cars are generally refered as DSMs (Diamond Star Motors) a join venture between Chrysler and Mitsubishi. There is a huge internet club for these cars at "www.dsm.org" it has more information about these cars than even Mitsubishi do because for the last 10 years at least 6,000 memebers/owners pooled their knowledge and experience together to help create one of the most comprehensive technical websites for any vehicle on the internet. It teaches anything from how to keep it run good to how to make it a 500hp Dodge Viper killer. These cars are not perfect and has a rather negative reputation for reliability due to a very sophisticated design of the turbocharged engine and AWD. However, almost all possible problems of these cars have been addressed in the website and fixes available so do not be afraid of owning a turbo DSM. The best attributes of these cars and the reason of such a huge cult following around the nation was its extremely strong engine. The 2.0 turbo 4G63 enine was developed in the 80s to compete in Group B rally (often producing excess of 600hp) and later adopted in DSMs in relatively original configuration, so it is very easy to increase the horsepower (up to 450hp for stock internals) on these cars just by adding more turbo boost and fuel along without worrying about engine falling apart, and a rally inspired AWD will be able to apply all that power on the ground. Power and traction are the two most valuable elememts in drag racing and DSMs can really dominate, able to run 12s and 11s with any tire and stock body, chasis and drivetrain. In fact Mitsubishi is still using this engine in their WRC rally competing Lancer Evolutions and has won several championships (97?-98-99) As someone memtioned, given proper care, a DSM will last a long time, my own 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (turbo/AWD) has 120,000 miles and is still running with original headgasket, turbo, transmission and is only on its 2nd clutch despite generating over 300HP and runs low 13s at my local track. If you treat ur DSM like your baby, it will perform like a dream, in my case kickin Mustangs and Porsche's butt with my $5,000 car. But if treat a DSM like a beater than it will give you nightmares because these cars are very complex even by today's standard and anything can go wrong if you neglect on maintainence.
    Well said..I'll glady take a DSM over most sport coupes on the market today, because of the reasons you described.
  • fb4fb4 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD with very low miles-- 70,000. I have a had a few problems, not unexpected in an 11 year old car, but one persistent probelm has been that the car "hesitates" or "stutters" at higher RPMs. This is more noticeable at 3500 or higher RPM. I don't know how much it happens in higher gears, b/c I would have to be going too fast, but I notice it more when I am accelerating harder. I was also told by a garage that my transfer case needs to be checked out. They referred me to a transmission shop. I am a bit suspicious of going to transmission shops, so any advice on these problems would be appreciated. This stuttering problem has been around for almost two years. Could they be related? I love the car and have owned it since new. Great year round. The air conditioning has required some service, and it seems to go through brakes and tires rapidly, even though I do not drive it hard. But it has been serving me well. Thanks for any help that anyone has!
    Try having a full tune-up done first. Make sure to have the wires replaced. These turbo motors have a tendency to chew up wires. With all the heat they generate and the way the wires lay against the valve cover..its not surprising IMO.
  • fb4fb4 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the information.

The last time I believe I replaced my plugs was around 30,000 miles, quite some time ago. At that time, I used platinum plugs and replaced the wires. I was having an undiagnosed problem at that time, too, which turned out to be the wires. Also tried the fule and air filters at that time. I had the timing belt replaced about a year ago, along with the fuel filter and air filter again. The problem was happening before and after that.

I did take the car to a transmission shop and the man did not put it on a lift, but took it for a ride and did not think anything indicated a transmission problem. He said the transfer case would sound loud if on a lift. Did not think I needed to get into taking the transmission apart.

I do not know when the last time the distributor cap and rotor were replaced. Or if they were at all. In fact, I do not think they were. I have had to replace the tires, brake rotors, and pads a few times. Even though I don't drive hard, the car goes through them quick. Also had to replace A/C parts.

As I said, I enjoy driving it and it has been a good car for over 11 years. The other cars I am considering in its place are the Audi S4 or A6 2.7T (seen some for good prices).

I have been paying more attention to this stuttering/hesitation lately. It happens at varying engine speeds. For example, this morning I noticed it at about 3000 RPM. It does not happen if the car is in neutral. The boost gauge shows the turbo building pressure. Should I have the fuel pressure measured? It happens more when I am accelerating hard. But, if I let up as it starts and shift, I can usually accelerate more.

Thanks again. If you have more suggestions, I would be happy to hear them. I'll keep you all filled in!
  • hunter48hunter48 Member Posts: 30
    My son has a 92 eagle talon turbo all wheel drive the car keeps getting a code 44 which could be a bad ignition coil we replaced one of the coils and replaced the power transtor and the problem still there. So we played with the coil we took off and switch it with the other one and it still gives us a code 44 had it to two dealers and they don't have a answer. has anyone out there had this problem?
  • terabyteterabyte Member Posts: 1
    I'm going to buy a 96 Talon tommarow, has clean title, 58K miles, and the price is about 6 thousand what do you guys think? Please email me at terabyte@thepentagon.com
    *EDIT*
    BTW it's a base model, new tires, great condition.
  • roncdroncd Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1997 eagle talon TSi but its not awd i bought it and it had no problems i have had it for a few months now and i put on a custom muffler and my car began to blow black smoke out of the muffler i dont know if its caused from the muffler being put on but i do know that the car is runnng very rich i have had 200 dollars worth of work done on it and nobody can seem to find out whats wrong with it i also am having a surging problem fb4 its terrible i also had a full tune up and nothing has changed both of these problems started around the same time but around a month after the muffler was put on if anybody can help me please let me know asap its driving me crazy email me at RND19@angelfire.com or respond here thank you so much
  • goose12goose12 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 1995 TSi 16V DOC Turbo with 99,000 miles, P/W, P/L, Moon Roof or Sunroof (not too sure which), 5spd Manual Tranny. I was wanting to know if i was getting ripped off by the price or if it would be a good deal. The price they are asking is $6,490 American dollars. And if anything does go wrong with the car how expensive would it be to repair the car beings it a turbo? Thank you for time and concern
  • jabildajabilda Member Posts: 47
    the owner(s) of the car. The turbo in that car requires that you idle for approx. 1 min. when you stop (especially after highway driving) to let oil flow into the turbo. Most people will not do this (busy American lifestyles). However, I did (1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo) and the turbo never went bad (traded it in w/ 130K on odometer). Since this was the first model year, it may have had some of those great '1st year American car issues' even though it had mitsubishi parts throughout. The biggest problems my car had were transmission. I think one of the shift forks went bad (hard to shift into first when cold) and the rear main seal was leaking (dealer told me when I went back for my first service visit). However, when I traded it in, it was nice and warm. :)

With that said, it never left me on the side of the road. It was a neat car with plenty of high-rev power (would surprise a lot of people with it).
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    and traded in for my 00 Subaru Outback. Was very quick. But always had those little annoyances...like a ticking sound from the rear hatch...never could get it fixed.

I caution... parts can be VERY expensive. I had a problem with my car stalling at idle. over $800 later, they replaced one very small part relating to the fuel system (so long ago, don't recall specifics).

From day one, always had a problem with the car hesitating in cold whether. It did not happen frequently but enough to annoy me. Dealer never solved it.

Caution....if you have to get brakes/rotors replaced, use OEM. Many complaints about after-market making tons of noise and wearing prematurely. (again, very expensive parts).

Would I buy another if I had the choice? No. I would go with a more reliable vehicle.
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    The point about the turbo is correct. Let car idle for at least 1 min after highway speeds. Mine had 105 K miles and the turbo was fine when I traded it in. (Clutch was nearly shot though!!)
  • bignormbignorm Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying an Eagle Talon TSI AWD between the years of 1990 and 1995, but I've herd that they often have problems with their turbo's. Is this true? And what other cars might there be out there around the same price and horse power as an Eagle Talon TSI AWD?
  • dark_shadowdark_shadow Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a 120 to 150 amp alternator to run various electronics such as; stereo, amp, power inverter, etc... Any help with inquiries can be helpful. Thanks for looking
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    If you don't get a response here soon, you should also post (copy/paste) your message on our Aftermarket & Accessories board. Look for direct access to that board in the pull down menu on the upper/left side. Also, if you can't find an appropriate discussion over there, feel free to start up a new one.... Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • terry_lyndterry_lynd Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for my first car and have narrowed it down to two cars. A 95 Mitsubishi Eclipse or a 95 Eagle Talon Turbo. I checked the specs for each car and they are almost identicle. (FWD Talon is lighter than Eclipse and AWD Talon is heavier) The Eclipse and Talon have the same amount of torque; however, the talon has
    205ft-lbs @ 3000rpm wheras the Eclipse has
    205ft-lbs @ 6000rpm. I was wondering what difference in performance that would make. I also notcied that the Eclipse costs a considerable amount more than the Talon and I was curious as to why? Also, If the Talon is recommended I was wondering what benefits I would receive from getting AWD. The AWD weighs alot more so I was leaning more towards the FWD unless there is a significant benefit in performance from the AWD. I plan to "sup-up" my car and am interested in performance as well as price, more money left in the pocket to enhance the visual aspect of the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You.
    Terry
This discussion has been closed.