Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    For a Golf GLS 5-door with Luxury Pkg. and automatic, in TDI form. Also, the price in turbo form. I would guess about $18,000 or so. Sound about right?
  • luvtogolf28luvtogolf28 Member Posts: 2
    I have been told by head office that the 2001 Golf GLS that are supposed to be coming into Canada are being made in Brazil. In addition, they are still not in production as we speak (production is to start in October 2000). The reason (I feel) is because the Canadian market is receiving frequent shipments of 2000 Golf GLS' from the states. As a result, VW is holding off until the surplus goes down... (this is my opinion... I have been told a few times from different sources that at least two shipments have been received in Ontario alone).

As a result, my order was cancelled and I am awaiting to receive my deposit. There is no way that they will be able to meet my order by the end of the three months... Thank God!! Time to start looking for deals on a 2000...

Thanks for all of your help!

LuvToGolf28....

:)
  • beaupsbeaups Member Posts: 6
    This is for adg44. Did you happen to chech out the article about springs in VW Power (fall 2000)? It has a very informative article about springs and there relationship to wheelsize, bumpstops etc.
  • CooperCooper Member Posts: 55
    As everyone says, please don't let a poor dealer experience influence your feelings about the car. I've owned VWs for 20 years and have, unfortunately, had much more than my fair share of poor experience with VW dealers, including taking one (Flemington VW) to small claims court in 1987 over an incorrectly installed replacement windshield. Another dealer and even VWofA was involved, but the first dealer essentially told me to get lost. So ... the service manager and I spent two days sitting in court.

And, another dealer (Summit, NJ) once charged $20 per spark plug for my wife's car, when the plugs were in the car had only 10,000 on them. That charge was removed.

But, another dealer's service department, Millenium VW (Somerville, NJ) is excellent, and the service manager there (Mr. Schumacher) is first-rate.

So, you're experience a dealer-related problem, rather than a car issue.
  • eclipsegseclipsegs Member Posts: 66
    It's sooo cute! The Golf, that is.
  • koolguy123koolguy123 Member Posts: 37
    That last post was listed as Eclipsegs's. I don't know why but that was very weird. That was actually my post.
  • crusin_veedubcrusin_veedub Member Posts: 1
    Okay I have just read through about 100 postings. Half of the fun of buying these cars is to modify them to make them fit your personality. If you want a faster car put in an air intake, a modified ECU chip, and an exhaust. If your really serious change the cam. I plan on doing that in the next month. Better handling put on better springs and suspension. Adding nice rims and low profile tires will help too. I have strut bars in mine as well and out handles my friends Accord with the same mods like he was driving a YUGO.
    About golfs I have a 94 Golf GL 2.0L, with 81k miles on it. It is amazing the effort and care that goes into making these cars. Makes those american made cars not even on the same field for comparison.
    What is the deal with where the car is made? WHO CARES!!!! Are you going to call the factory to ask them about the car or something?
  • CooperCooper Member Posts: 55
    So ... how did it go with the dealer? Any satisfaction?
  • tradlandtradland Member Posts: 15
    HI I HAVE 24,000 MILES ON MY GOLF AND THE FRONT TIRES COMPLETLY GONE AND THE REARS NOT FAR BEHIND
    ANY ONE ELSE HAVE SIMILUAR TIRE WEAR.
    HOW MANY MILES ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO LAST ANYWAY
  • mnnmnn Member Posts: 31
    I have noticed that when my 1.8T is in idle, the car somehow produces subtle "burbs" (sorry, I don't know how to describe it any other way). It is almost like the engine has had a pop and now choking with the fizz. It is very subtle though noticable. Is it a cause for concern?
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    This is my first manual, and I'm not sure if I'm
    doing something wrong, or everything is normal.
    First off, the 1 to 2 shift is almost always jerky.
    It doesn't jerk if I wait almost 2 seconds from
    the 1-2 shift. Also if you don't match the engine
    revs when you downshift, it will jerk too. I only
    notice this jerking when shifting into second gear.
    Any ideas?? Also, I noticed that when I'm in 1st
    or 2nd gear, and I punch the gas, and then drop
    the gas, the car kinda "bucks" and you can hear a
    popping sound coming from the tranny. Normal? I
    don't know. And third, I also notice some bucking
    when I use compression braking around 2,000 RPMs
    and lower. Is this normal or is that the result of
    my chip? Thanks for any help.

- Anthony
  • lnav2121lnav2121 Member Posts: 12
    Well, here's my update. I had brought my car in for my 5,000 check, they told me that they would have a loaner car for me to take to work and that I could pick it up after I got out of work. I got there and the service guy told me that it would only take 20 minutes and I might as well wait because it would take longer to find the loaner then it would to finish my car. I agreed, not a problem. I went on to talk to the service manager. I talked to him about my little problems here and there and he assured me that these issues would never happen again. Well after that conversation and waiting 45 minutes longer for my "20 minute maintenance" my salesman comes up to me and says that he's so sorry that the loaner car he had promised me wasen't available. Ohhhhhhh.. I said, I wasen't aware of that. But that for letting me know that the service department lied to me. Well enough of that moaning. It gets worse.

This past weekend I had gone to VA for a trip. On saturday I went to put down my window and I hear a Thump. My window had fallen in between my door and my panel off the track. My luck right? I called my salesman and he informed to go to a local dealer there and if they gave my any problems to call them directly. Well it was 4:00 on Saturday, they were not open and the they were not open on Sunday. So after my uncle had opened my panel and taped my window back up, I had to cut the trip short and headed back to NJ. I called my dealer on Monday and they told me to drop the car off and they would see if they could get to it that day. I went in they and ripped them to sh*t. I was then told by the service manager that what I was supposed to do was call VW Roadside and they were supposed to handle it. And that my salesman told me the wrong information.

Cooper, Thanks for your info. It assuring to hear that other people have problems with their dealers too.

There's my lengthy post, thanks for everybodys input. I'll be reading and keep letting everyone know my new adventures with my VW.
  • lti84lti84 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, this is my first posting on the site. I have been reading your postings for a couple months now trying to gleen any information that would help me in purchasing a 2001 Golf gls. Well I finally took the plunge about 3-4 weeks ago. I ordered a 2001 Golf 1.8t gls. I left an uncompromising salesman one day and went to an adjoining town the next day and ordered the car. The second salesman was a pleasure to work with and am now anxiously awaiting the car.
    Well, after all that is said. I just started back reading the postings tonight because I read in our paper of a suspension problem on the vw golfs produced in Brazil. Does any body know what country my golf will be made in? I also read a posting from someone who said that he canceled his order because of a slow delivery. I was told that mine should be here between oct. 20 to nov. 10. Is this an unrealistic delivery? Thanks for any input that anybody has.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Most of what you are experiencing sounds normal for someone who is a bit inexperienced with manual trannys. If you floor the car and then abruptly cut off the throttle, any manual car will buck badly (it is a result of the engine rocking back and forth in its mounts and that is the noise you are hearing as well). As far as the jerking, it sounds more like you are engaging the clutch too quickly. Matching revs while downshifting is the smoothest way to do it, but it also requires a lot of skill. So the main thing to do is concentrate on engaging the clutch slowly and with care while downshifting and it will go almost as smoothly as matching revs. Second gear is very low so the engine tends to buck more in that gear than the higher ones (second gear downshifts should not be used to slow the car unless in an emergency). Also, when you use compression braking at low rpms, you will encounter more bucking than you would at 3000 rpms, because the engine is at low compression and struggles more to slow the car. The bucking is due to bogging the engine too much.
    Anyway, all of what you are saying sounds completely normal as I have encountered these exact things on every manual car I have driven, including my 84 VW GTI and 2000 Hyundai Accent.
    I wanted to change the gear knob to an aftermarket one, do I just unscrew the "golf ball" off the shift stick and screw the new one on, or do I have to do something else?
    Plus, I wanted to change the speakers on the front door panels but could not figure out how to take the speaker cover off. Do I pry it out with a screwdriver, or do I have to take the whole door apart? Is it a pull and twist, or a straight pull? Appreciate any help. Oh yes, mine is a 00' 1.8T 4-dr.
  • tradlandtradland Member Posts: 15
    THERE IS A RECALL NOW FROM VW FOR THE FRONT SUSPENSION. THEY HAVE HAD THE UPPER CONTROL ARM
    BREAK IN SEVERAL INSTANCES IN BRAZIL.
    SO CHECK WITH YOUR DEALER.
    PS: MY 99 GOLF IV GLS IS GETTING LEMONED AND I AM
    GETTING A 2001 1.8T IN EXCHANGE.
    tradland: I just called a dealer here in Canada and was told that there is no recall. Where did you hear that from? Did they send you a letter?
  • deevcjdeevcj Member Posts: 9
    Vw's engines have a bunch of low end torque. It takes a bit of time to get used to shifting smoothly. I have had a five speed for fourteen years and it took me a month to drive the car smooth and slow. Now if I punch it the car flys and no shifting problems at all. It is a great car.
  • deevcjdeevcj Member Posts: 9
    It is much more complicated than just screwing off the knob. It is attached with a clip that can be a pain to take off and re-attach.
  • kestellkestell Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I have a friend with a golf and a friend with a jetta and I love both of them (the cars, not the friends :) Anyway, I would really like to get a golf, hopefully like a '93 - '95

I am looking to spend up to $6000 (im a poor junior in high school) I have heard from many people that they are great cars and I was just wondering what kind of milage is average on a car that old (probobly a '94) and if there are any things that are likely to break on it.
  • golfbuyergolfbuyer Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I'm in Vancouver, Canada.
    I am very interested in buying a 2000 Golf GLS, and am searching for the best price I should pay for it.

My dealer suggests a $22,853 price (Canadian), that is including the luxury package, and all the other additional costs exempting taxes. I want to pay around $20,500 (Canadian).

To any owners of the same model, what did you pay?, what should I be paying?, and what price should I be negotiating for? and is this offer by the dealer a decent price?

Thanks much.

I do find the price beyond entry level, but just don't want to be ripped off, any advice would prove useful......
    I the dealer put a new instrument cluster in my 01
    GTI GLX, and the first time they put a standard
    GLS instrument cluster in which doesn't have a
    computer. They then replaced it with the proper
    GLX one. Today when my friend opened the trunk,
    the computer said "Bootlid Open" instead of
    "trunklid open". Does this mean I have a canadian
    or european instrument cluster? This instrument
    cluster also has a snowflake that comes up whenever it is cold out, and I don't remember the old one doing that. Any Ideas?? I think it's pretty cool if I have a non-US spec one. Thanks.

- Anthony
    If you had a non-US spec one, the KpH (kilometers per hour) would be in the larger numbers and when you went 60, it would say 100. If the MPH is in the larger number, then you have a regular US spec instrument cluster. No explanation for the difference in clusters though. Ask your dealer about it.
  • sheeba1sheeba1 Member Posts: 1
    Could someone please tell me where the dipstick is located for the automatic transmission fluid?
    Also, is that the same place you fill it, too.
    Help!!!!!!!
  • wonderwallwonderwall Member Posts: 126
    i don't know what model year your golf is, but i drive a 1997 jetta and there is no dipstick for checking the ATF; it's a sealed system. you'll have to go to a mechanic.
  • floaterfloater Member Posts: 4
    I need advice. I am trading in my 99 Outback wagon for something more fun to drive. I have been doing research on the Golfs (thought Jettas at first, but everyone is buying one) and have narrowed it between the GLS 1.8t or the GLS TDI. I have never had a diesel car before and I am a little nervous about straying from gas. Also no dealer wants to give up the 2001 VWs for edmunds TMV. I appreciate any feedback.
  • floaterfloater Member Posts: 4
    I forgot to mention I want the tranny to be an auto. I understand a little power loss but how will it make a difference between the 1.8t and the TDI?
  • eslatereslater Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Edmunds for reviewing my favorite car. The pictures are beautiful!
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmund's review of the 2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T is now available. Here's the direct link to the Spin Around Town of the 2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T, by Miles Cook. What do you think? ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
    I have been thinking about a Jetta since they came out in 1999. But they are so popular, and I hate driving a car that's the same as every other one I see. So the Golf is going to be my answer. I am waiting for the long-term reliability stats on the Golf 1.8T (which should be good), then I will decide whether or not to buy one. It was a great review though.
    I went yesterday to test drive a Golf 1.8T GLS 5-door at my local VW dealership. Two people came and asked me if I was helped, and I told the second one I was. Then they said it would be a bit of a wait before someone could get to me. Considering there were at least 3 people in the dealership not doing a thing and I had waited for 20 mins. or so, I got up and walked out the door. Still mad, because they made me wait for no reason. I will go back to test drive though, but it will be a different dealership.
    floater: I own a 1.8T and am absolutely happy about it. My overall feel of the car is in line with the Edmund's review. The only thing that I think can improve is the suspension, which is a bit soft, and yes, the brakes, it takes a lot of getting used to because it feels rather "springy" when you first touch it, and has to press about 1.5 inches before you could feel the effect. Unlike the Japanese cars that I have driven where the brakes communicate and translate everything to your foot from the start, the 1.8T takes a while. The other thing I find is that the engine speed at the 2nd gear seems a bit fast, and the revs at highway speed could be lower (it is slightly above 3000 revs at 100 km/h compare to about 2800 on the Maxima).

I have had it for 6 months and the only thing (and I hope the first and last) thing that has gone wrong is when the engine check light came on when it has 1500km on it. I took it in and they found a faulty seal/valve with the emission and that was replaced. The keyless entry can be tempermental at times: the security alarm should come on with a "beep" when you lock the car, but every now and then it would take another minute or so before it would beep and the red blinking light comes on (the car is still locked but there is no blinking light and I am not sure if the alarm is on). Other than that, everything seems fine.

IF you are debating whether you should get the TDI or the 1.8T, I think you have to ask yourself how senitive you are with the gas prices. The 1.8T only takes premium fuel (91 octane and up), and with gas prices so high these days, you might want something cheaper. The average gas milage on my car is about 10.9 liter per 100km mixed highway/city, sometimes better sometimes worse, and definitely worse when you drive fast! Sometimes I wish I had gotton the TDI since the gas thing is really getting to me (if VW has an electric car, I will buy it).

As for the price issue, I do admit that it is expensive to buy, but the "funny" part is, you kind of "forgive yourself" after a while because this little machines is really nice, and the attention to detail will surprises you (apart from the position of the cup holders, and maybe the centre arm-rest that gets in the way when you have to shift gear). I think I paid around CD$24000 before tax for mine (fully loaded with alloy wheels/sunroof, heated seat and the monsoon system, and I added the CD). I got CD$1350 incentive discount but that disappear quickly when you add alloys (CD$1370?).
  • liwenliwen Member Posts: 3
    Aagh!!! I'm buying a new car this Sat and I had my heart set on a VW Golf stick-shift, but after reading all this mixed press on it, I'm having doubts. I owned a stick-shift accord before and it lasted me 200,000 miles in 8 years. I drove many people around. I hadn't intended on buying a stick-shift again (I spend a lot of time in the city), but after test driving the Golf, I fell in love. I just don't want to buy a car and have TONS of problems!!! Aagh!!!
    liwen: I know exactly how you feel now. I too, came from the Honda gang, and to tell you the truth, I find it difficult going back to Honda after VW even though Honda has bullet proof reliability.

IMHO, if you want a car to do the A to B job, then Honda is the pick, but anything more, you should go for the VW. Good luck.
  • workshopperworkshopper Member Posts: 1
    Hello. Workshopper here. What a great site! I have found everyones comments on the VW Jetta to be very helpful. I am in the market for a Jetta GLS 1.8T with the Performance Package. I test drove one as well as a VR6 several days ago. I was so impressed with the 1.8T, I decided to sit down with the sales person, who was very helpful and professional, to talk some numbers. The car I wanted listed at $23,900. I am looking for a lease. I expected to pay around $300.00 to $350.00/Mo for a three year lease. I also was prepared to put some money down (I am upside down by about $3,500 in my current car, don't laugh, a chevy cavalier) I was shocked when the sales person came back with numbers in the 500's for a four year lease. The sales manager eventually became involved, which I expected, and said their best offer was a 5 year lease for $395.00/Mo! I walked. Has enyone else experienced this with VW dealerships? I love the car but I know I can do better than that. Any advise would be great!
    workshopper: As far as I can remember, the VW lease is very high, somewhere between 6.5% to 9.5%, so the figure you were given did make sense. I remembered they tried get me to lease a Golf for 36 months with $4000 down, and the monthly payment is around $460.
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    You can get a general idea about a lease payment
    at VW.COM
    Click on *commerce* you will get a pulldown...
    click on VW Credit then click on credit stuff...
    then hit *calculator*...Just plug in your numbers.
    Remember though...Your local tax is NOT included,
    nor your local DMV registration fees. This is a
    NATIONAL site and not configured to handle these
    specifics. It also assumes that your credit history is without any blemishes...
  • wj27wj27 Member Posts: 6
    This will be to the point.

I have a VW Golf GL 2K 2.0L 5sp. w/ ~13,0000 miles.

I started having problems at 8,000 miles
    1. driver side visor mirror light went out--replaced by dealer . ok now
    2. gear clash in shifting from 1st to 2nd. gear. it occurs 1 every 2-3 weeks. Dealer claims the golf has a shorter "throw" on the shifter. So it is easy for drivers to clash the gears on shifting. I have been driving a manual for 10 years. are they suggesting I can't drive?

3. This is a good one. Anyone have experience with this problem? If you turn on/off the ignition VERY slowly the head lights will come on as you pass the ACC. mode in the ignition. The parking brake is up during this operation by the way. The dealer says that this occurs on the Golf and Jetta. It is just part of the "design". I say it is part of a "design" FLAW. Anyway, no fix from the dealer. Please let me know if you experience this on the Golf / Jetta.

4. The vehicle sometimes hesitates in first gear. It is as if it does not get the correct amount of gas/air and then all of a sudden it kicks in. On first trip to the dealer they could not find a problem.

5. At startup the vehicle revs up (overshoots) to 2K rpm. On a normal startup it should overshoot up to ~ 1200 rpm then settle at ~ 850 rpm. After the second time it happened, the check engine light came on for 2 days. The dealer had a look and stated the coolant temp. sensor went out. This was replaced. They also said this was why I had prob. #4 above. Alas, problem #4 above still occurs, but just not as much. So is it the O2 sensor problem as others have had? (see the main.and repair conf. for more on o2 problem).

6. When coming out of a right or left turn, as the steering wheel spins back the opposite indicator light will flash just as the indicator switch trips off. Dealer replaced the turning switches. Problem continued. Dealer then replaced some sort of air bag spring thing a ma jiggy (sorry I dont remember what exactly it was). Anyway, this was supposedly what cause the turning indicator switch to go bad. I have not returned to the dealer to have another turning switch installed yet.

7. the vehicle seems to consume quite a bit of oil. 2K miles after my first oil change the level was below the required level. I assume when they changed it, the proper level was put back into the car. I have been check it since then and it still is going down very gradually. The manual does state that it will consume oil depending on driving condition ( I do DRIVE the vehicle too). But I also DROVE my previous car and the level never changed between oil changes.

These are the problems i have had. hope this helps some one. i am a bit disappointed in the car. i still really love it though. so i suppose it is a love/dislike relationship. :->. the car is still THANK GOD under warranty so no $$ yet. but i have spent a total of 15hours at the deaier for a car less than a year old. they can't pay me for my time at the dealer either.
    I think I know what you are talking about. If I take a right turn and then straighten out, I sometimes thought I saw the left turn signal flash really fast. I just figured it was my imagination. Anyways, I don't really notice it too often, but I will keep an eye out for it.

- Anthony
    01 GTI GLX Silver/Black
  • dbakalardbakalar Member Posts: 39
    I too have experienced the bizarre disappearing oil. My dealer has told me that there's nothing wrong w/ the car. It seems to be a very slow consumption of oil, but I've never had a car that did this before. It's not leaking (as far as I can tell), and it doesn't appear to be burning any either. I've ended up keeping an extra quart in the back of the car, and check it every few weeks.

I've also experienced that hesitation from first gear. That doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it catches me off guard, and kind of ticks me off.

I've had no real problems with the car, it's fun to drive, and gets pretty good gas mileage. And it LOOKS good too! ;-)

2000 Golf GLS 5spd.
    On my sisters beetle, it has the 2.0L engine, and it drinks so much oil I couldn't believe it! I just add some more oil to it ever couple of weeks. I think I'm gonna switch over to synthetic when it hits 20K miles and I'll see what that does.
    wj27: I too, notice the turn indicator flash you described. It was like that from day 1, so I assumed it is a "design" thing. As for the headlight, I only experience the turning off part, where the light will come on briefly when I turn the ignition off, but then it is only briefly, and everything turns off when you have the key out. If I turn the ignition on, the light will only come on when I have the handbrake down.
  • peugotpeugot Member Posts: 1
    VW golf 99
    1-Check engine light two times
    2-The dealer drove it for 300 miles to check it
    3-Squeaking noise twice to the dealer. He was thinking it was the bushings and added some grease. Finally they changed the brakes. 4-Rattling noise and it disappeared by itself
    5-Oil light was turned on at 8000 miles. The dipstick was dry. Two quarts were added.I was told it was normal. NO WAY
    6-Oil check was done every 1000 miles by another dealer and it was 20% less each time.
    7-At 18700 the light was turned on again. Two full quarts were added.
    8- At 20200 the level was under the dotted area.
    9-Went back to the dealer for maintenance and oil compression test and the test was OK.
    10-The tape recorder is not working as if someone is speaking fast.
    11-The dealer said they had problems with radios.
    12-At 21200 oil level is 50% less. No way that is normal. There is no leak and there is no black smoke coming out. The car is burning oil and the engine is defective.
    WHERE SHOULD I GO AND WHAT TO BE DONE ?
  • rgoetzrgoetz Member Posts: 13
    Floater, if you're still deciding between the 1.8T and the TDI, take my advice & drive a TDI.

I have a Golf TDI. My wife has a Passat 1.8T. The TDI is so much smoother & more pleasurable to drive than the 1.8T. Chipped, it is absolutely amazing. Powerful torque, great mileage, diesel-durability.

Best of all, you get to join the club. Fred's. www.tdiclub.com
  • jizzjizzjizzjizz Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering a 2001 Golf GLS 1.8T. Unfortunately, they are no longer assembled in Wolfsburg. They are now built in Brazil. I'm very leary of Brazil. Can anyone comment on the build quality and component quality for a German assembed Golf vs. a Brazilian? Thank you.
  • fanoufanou Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2000 Golf GL in june. I replaced the VW radio with a Sony unit which included a CD player.

One week into driving the car the ABS light went on and the ABS starts working erratically. The car also did not start occasionally, that means nothing happened after turning the ignition. Removing the key and closing and opening the doors in some arbitrary fashion seem to solve the problem.

The dealer told me that the ABS problem is due to my "aftermarket" radio. After having me yell at the service manager for quite a while they examined the car and found a broken ABS sensor that they fixed. The dealer(of course as it is intermittened) could not find anything wrong with the ignition.

The car now has 5k miles and goes to service next week. These are the current problems:

1. Reverse gear extremely difficult to put in. Often you have to shift into 1st, roll a few feet before the reverse can be put in. (My 1980 Scirocco works smoother!)

2. Occasional noise in both doors.

3. Sometimes hesitates in 1st gear (was reported earlier by somebody else).

4. Cupholder does not work anymore (bend out of shape I guess).

5. The ignition problem still exists.

6. Some noise when pushing the clutch down.

7. In general, the FM radio reception in that car is horrible. That is true for the original VW radio as for my current Sony unit. Something is either wrong with the antenna or the design is flawed.

Lets see what the service guy comes up with when I drop the car off.....
    what exactly do you mean?? Is it like a knocking/squeaking sound whenever you go over some light bumps?? I have that in my 01 GTI GLX and I really helped the situation by coating all the rubbers around the door with silicone spray. It doesn't take it all away, but it makes it about 50% better. Also my VW dealer told me that they sometimes put some clear tape around the inside of the door to make it stop squeaking. Good luck.
    adg44: my 00' 1.8T has the same problem with the sqeaking noice from the door? when going over a bump, it sounds like the plastic molding is not properly attached to the body or something. I have a hard time locating the noice since it always seems to come from the c-piller or thereabout, but it also sounds like it is coming from the trunk, or where the seatbelt is. Which silicon spray did you use? Do you just spray all the rubber tubings and that "half-cures" it? Pls advice.
  • fanoufanou Member Posts: 2
    It actually sounds like some cables are hitting the inside of the door. Thanks for the tip with the silicon, but I doubt that the rubber seals are causing the trouble. Despite, the car is under warranty and the dealer gets paid by the factory to fix warranty issues.

I would not mind, and actually do, working on cars. This one, however, is new and I expect it to work without problems. The VW dealer seem more reluctant than other car dealer to give you a really good deal using the argument about superior german quality. Now I want to see the proof.

Stefan
  • sgesge Member Posts: 1
    hey guys:
    I just bought a 2000 Golf GLS 2.0. I have to say it's too noisy. Every time when accelerating, it sounds like a tractor. Is this normal ?
    Except the annoying noise, it's a good car, accelerate quickly, very stable.

Anyone who is driving a Gold can tell me something about it ? Thanks !

shanyou