Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf

Comments

• brady2brady2 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a 2002 1.6 Golf, mileage 16K
    The car has fire damage to the rear of the car and some blistering on the right rear passenger door & wheel. The cause was due to a car next to it on fire, the intensity of the fire was to melt quite significantly the rear light covers.
    What other unseen damage could this do to the car? Any other electrics/cabling at rear or right back corner of the car.
    Thanks Brady2
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    check the plastic gas tank and plumbing to make sure there are no safety issues.
  • newfoundmenewfoundme Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2001 Golf GL and there is no power going to my radio, its just dead
    can it be the fuse or something?
    please help
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    There is no 2002 1.6 Golf (assuming gas engine only). They came with either the 2.0L four, 1.8T four, or 2.8L VR6.

So I can assume you're referring to the 2.0 Golf?
  • gti_ownergti_owner Member Posts: 1
    does this MAF sensor happen to have a button on the stalks next to the wheel, i have a mk3 golf gti and found a button on the steering wheel stalks with the letters MFA or MAF, could this be anything to do with your discussion? :confuse: :)
    I do not think so -- I am not sure what button you are talking about... but a MAF is just a sensor that measures airflow entering into the engine. There would be no concevable need to have a button anywhere.
  • chriskingchrisking Member Posts: 1
    could you please tell me why my vw golf 2.0ltr 8v 1997 keeps cutting out when i pull up to junctions. ive changed the plugs and dizzy cap and new ht leads but it still does it. can you through some light on my problem...???
  • rowergirlrowergirl Member Posts: 1
    Hi!
    I have a 2005 Golf, automatic. I just took it in for 1st oil change at 5000 miles. I have noticed in the past couple of weeks that sometimes when stepping on the gas that the car hesitates, this has happened from a stop and when stepping it up from around 30 miles per hour. Mentioned this to the dealer and they said that it is just how the computer works?? Does anyone have this problem and can anything be done about it? :confuse:
    Check the condition of the ignition coil. If there's a crack in the coil, chances are that may be the problem.
  • firstgearfirstgear Member Posts: 2
    hi people,
    i'm new to the world of VW Golf but not new to turning wrenches. i just purchased a 94 Golf III. after two days of enjoyment it will not start. the battery is fine and the clutch is firm. i've check the lead to the solenoid and it's NOT hot with switch in on position. should it be hot? if so, if so, is there a relay or connection i should check? the only other things that are strange would be the power moon roof opens but will not close by the switch. my other issues are the trunk which dose not unlock when i unlock the drivers door (with key) nor dose the rear drivers door. could this some how be connected? any clues out there?
    anything constructive info would be greatly appreciated...
  • firstgearfirstgear Member Posts: 2
    hi
    was your battery disconnected at some point? you may only have to get the radio code from a dealership...:D
  • jlarkinjlarkin Member Posts: 1
    Help! I'm having the same issue. My check engine light has been on and off for a couple of years. It has failed emissions inspection two years in a row, including this year. Don't ask me how it passed last year, but I think a 1000 dollar bill had something to do with it. BUT -- they didn't replace anything like the mass air flow sensor. I had it in to the dealer a few months ago for a separate problem and one of the "diagnostic codes" revealed a faulty mass air flow sensor. I have spent $1900 on repairs in the last two years and can't afford to spend more. Particularly, after reading your post and having the same problem again. Have you found anything out yet?
  • wetwilliewetwillie Member Posts: 129
    I had it in to the dealer a few months ago for a separate problem and one of the "diagnostic codes" revealed a faulty mass air flow sensor.

Recall that the MAF will be replaced free of charge. This is VW policy - technically, it's not a recall, however if you have it diagnosed as faulty it will be replaced - free. If it was not, the Dealer is at fault. I've had this done on a 5 yr old Golf with 60K on the clock. I have also had the window regulator stops replaced free of charge, past warranty, under an a similar program.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Your starting problem could be a bad ignition switch or fuel pump relay. Does anything happen at all when you turn the key? Or do just the idiot lights turn on with no clicking noise?

As for the power door lock problem, you probably have a vaccuum leak. These older power lock systems were vaccuum operated. If any kind of air leak occurs, the system won't operate properly. It sounds to me like there is a leak in the line between the rear door and the hatch. I know how frustrating this is because I dealt with the same problem on my friends 88 Jetta.
  • mlib112mlib112 Member Posts: 1
    Hi-

I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance on this problem. My problem is with my 2001 VW golf gls (97K miles). I did not use the car for about a week. Then all of the sudden when I started it back up, the EPC light came on. It is not blinking. I needed to drive home from the airport and for the most part the EPC light remained on. The drive was about 2 hours long. There was a stretched of about 5 minutes, right after I got out of the highway, that the EPC light shut off. Then it turned on again for the rest of the ride home. I tried to use the cruise control and it too is not be working. I also noticed that my brake lights did not work unless I turned the headlights on. I think there is a minute decrease in acceleration and power but it is hardly noticeable. Also, I seem to have to press harder on the brakes to get it to stop. I don't know if this is an issue with the power brakes. I have been searching the internet and I have gotten several possible causes (ie O2 sensors, brake light switch and mass airflow). Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    You really need to get the "code" that turned on the EPC light.

Some auto-parts stores will "pull the code" for you free of charge.
  • elgatogordoelgatogordo Member Posts: 1
    Just bought one, 2005 GLS 5 spd Manual, 19767 out the door. :-)
    Good luck!
  • abi1abi1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a VW Golf 1.6 E reg and over the past couple months, I've had a problem with long distance driving. After about half hour on the motor way, my car tends to start "bunny hopping" sometimes it's worse than others... I find that if I have a full tank of petrol it doesn't tend to be a problem, but if I start a journey with half a tank or just slightly under, this will almost certainly happen. This is also more of a problem with hills, although it happens on a straight road too.

If anyone has any thoughts as to what the problem might be or what I can expect to pay to get this sorted, it would be much appreciated! Thanks! :confuse:
  • rmc66rmc66 Member Posts: 1
    On my 97 Golf I leaned that when you put on a turn signal, then apply the brakes the turn signal stops blinking and the signal light in the dash board stops blinking. Once you take your foot off the brake pedal both start blinking again. I pulled out the bulb housings on both sides and there are no bulbs burnt out.
    Any ideas before having to bring it in to the dealer and spend lots of $$$$$ ?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter hopes to interview recent VW or Audi model buyers aged 30-40 who are first time buyers of a VW Group car and willing to discuss their profession/income; and recent VW or Audi buyers aged 30-40 who are repeat buyers of the brand and willing to discuss their profession/income. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Wednesday, July 27, 2005, and provide your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

How many miles are on the car? If you have a high mileage car, the problem could either be the in-tank fuel transfer pump or the main (external) fuel pump.

The in-tank fuel transfer pump runs about $60 for the part and shouldn't require more than 1 hour of labor.

The main fuel pump runs about $200 and takes about an hour of labor to install.
  • mrobinsonmrobinson Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 VW Golf and my EPC light just came on today. My cruise doesn't work either. Don't know about the brake light part though. Didn't think to check. I'm interested to hear what others have to say about this before I go and spend a god awfull alot of money. hopefully it's something small that I can fix myself.
  • robtanrobtan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Beetle, similar problem. The first time the light came on VW did a diagnosis and said there was an intermittant problem with a temperature sensor. I replaced the sensor. Two weeks later the light came on again and the gas gauge stopped reading accuratly. I figured I could live with that since another diagnosis was going to cost me $120.00.

Drove the car over the next several weeks and the light went out nthen came on a few days later. Then, the car wouldn't start. Hours later it started but wouldn't stay running, the engine cut off right away. The remote lock on the passenger side wouldn't work, the clock time was screwed up. The next day the engine started and ran, drove the car to the dealer. They estimated the repair at $600.00. I'm just out of warrenty.

Since Beetles are knonw for electrical problems I decided it was time to trade it in. Bought a new Golf. If I have problems at least I'm on a new warrenty.
  • leperfleshleperflesh Member Posts: 3
    Took delivery on my brand new '05 GL (with ESP) two weeks ago. It now has 500 miles on the odometer, and there's already a problem. The door-open idiot light has started to turn itself on, and I can't get it to turn off. While driving last night, it was on, and then turned off for a while while I was cruising on the freeway before randomly turning back on again for no discernable reason. I've carefully checked every door, and the trunk, and the hood... everything is firmly closed, but the light is now on all the time.

And this morning the car alarm was going off randomly for no reason. Probably it's related, the car thinks the door is opening or something.

I called the dealer... 10 day wait for an appointment. I said it was an emergency, because the alarm keeps going off. They say I can drop it off and they'll take a look... only after they have taken care of all cars that day that have an appointment.

Is this acceptable service? Anyone know of this kind of issue on a BRAND NEW car?

Nevermind that when I took delivery, they had not put in the rubber mats and mud guards I paid for. They said they'd call back in a couple of days to put them on because they were out of them. Two weeks later, still no call. I'll insist they put them in when I drop off the car this evening.

Man. I was sure loving my 'new car' experience - it's my first new car ever. Now the honeymoon is over. Way too short.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Talk to the Service Manager or the Dealership Manager/Owner. Forget the Servcie Advisor!!! Good luck!!
  • kloudixkloudix Member Posts: 1
    Help!, I have a 1990 Golf GL and I just started having problems with the car. The car idles fine but when I put it in gear, the car stumbles really bad. I am able to shift to higher gears but I have to barely step on the gas. I cannot get the car up to highway speeds. The more you press on the gas pedal, the worst the car stumbles. Amy Advice? The car has roughly 180K miles but runs great except for the new problem. :confuse: :sick:
  • thebigbananathebigbanana Member Posts: 2
    I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this bizarre problem. I had a passanger in my 2002 VW Golf TDI that was holding a pet crate on his lap and the airbag light went on. I figured that there must be a sensor of some sort that monitors the space in front of the airbag. The problem is that now the light comes on everytime I start my car and doesn't go off. I haven't found anything in my car manual indicating any kind of sensor but I thought I'd try messages boards to see if anyone knows anything about it.

Thanks,
    Annie
  • jq_golfjq_golf Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I'm about to buy a 2003 Golf GL, with the 2.0L engine, 5 speed, and about 15k miles. Anything I should be worried about in terms of known issues / problems with this model?? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jon
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    That year is fairly stable and should also have a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty if my memory serves me. Check with a VW dealer. The thing to look for is record of oil changes at 5,000, 10,000 and 15,000 miles, the only service required.
  • bennaaaybennaaay Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a strange issue with my golf TDI. Occasionally it simply cuts out for no reason. Also when I slow down to come to a stop, it starts to judder then also cuts out (even with the clutch dipped). I have to wait a few minutes before I can start the engine up and move on. After restarting the engine is fine. I have had it in a garage and they have cleaned the EGR valve (whatever that is !) but the problem still persists. Please help !
  • masclemascle Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a 1998 TDI. Recently experienced a failure with the remote control then realised that the drivers door lock would not operate manually. Local garage said eccentric flywheel attached to barrel was worn and replaced lock giving me a different key. Problem is that manually locking the drivers door will activate but not de-activate alarm. Is this right and if so is there another way of overiding the alarm/immobiliser without the remote?
  • laderbuiltladerbuilt Member Posts: 1
    I feel that for the average every day driver with little knowledge about oil and general mechanics that they should stick to a manufacturers recommendations for all oil specs and intervals. However Coming from a 2001 vw golf 1.8t owner I regurally go 10-15 thousand miles between oil changes and just change the filter every 5,000 miles. I also use a premium oil that is only a 5w30 oil.
    Now I don't recommend you run out and buy .99 cent oil and do this again I use a premium non synthetic oil. I also highly recommend to anyone wanting to extend service intervals to use and oil analysis program. This is very common in the heavy duty industry and in most race applications. By doing this you are not just taking a stab in the dark. I always pull my oil sample every 2,500miles. When the report comes back it tells me vital information for where the oil is in its life span such as viscosity, oxidation, particulate contamination and other use full information. Which in turn has helped me extend my oil drain intervals further apart. To let you know I have over 90,000 miles on my car and have had no mechanical problems that would in any way be oil related I performed a compression test at 50,00 miles and am right on the money. I use no oil between changes except what must be added when changing the oil filter. When I read about the slugging problems with these I dropped my oil pan and had a look around. everything was clean as a whistle so in the end with a premium product, and knowledge of what your doing and using oil analysis it is possible to extend your drain intervals with this engine without fear!
    Sounds like you take care of your cars!!!! Congrats!! But, in order for owners of the 1.8t engined cars to keep the extended warranty on the engine in effect, they must use only VW specified oils AND change the oil every 5K miles.
  • g_gramajog_gramajo Member Posts: 1
    I've recently has to disconect car battery but when i try to turn on the radio appears the message SAFE an dispite i've the codes i don't know how to enter them because i don't have the user manual.

Thanks in advance for any instructions you can give me.
    It sounds like the relationship between the pet crate and the airbag light is pure coincidence. If the light has not gone off, I would get it looked at by your nearest VW dealer.

I don't think there are any sensors that monitor the space in front of the airbags. There may be sensors in the seat (but I doubt it in your model year VW) and there are sensors in the front end of your car (bumper area).
  • vanaldervanalder Member Posts: 29
    The dealer did this to me a couple of times. As I remember it, the manual tells you
    HOW to reenter the code number, but you need to get the code from the dealer.
    Assume he enters your VIN online to get it, but am not sure. May not be possible to do this over the 'phone (deters radio thieves, I suppose), but why not call to check.

Hope you can quickly get it reset. Daan
  • gm5gm5 Member Posts: 1
    :sick: I know you posted this in 2002, but what ever became of the vehicle.
  • klonteigklonteig Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, as well as the Golf. My girlfriend has one, and I have a feeling that the heater core is leaking.

Symptoms:
    1) Had to top off the coolant with about a litre of water after only 3 months of summer weather.
    2) When the defrost is turned on the window actually fogs up worse than if it were off. The 'fog' only dries after many hours or wiping it off, leading me to believe there might actually be some glycol being blown up through the vents.

Is this a common issue with these vehicles? Has anyone ever torn the dash apart to get to the heater core? Is this a major undertaking?

Thanks for the help,

Jordan
  • sheffieldsheffield Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 VW Golf, 2.0 gas engine. Runs fine except when you turn on the AC...starts sputtering and dying. Any ideas what's wrong?
  • rszantorszanto Member Posts: 10
    Hello,
    I'm new to the Golf family and I was wondering if I could get some help finding a certain body kit for the Golf. http://www.wingswest.com/project_archive.asp?page=1&id=1. That is the body kit I have been looking for, but every kit I find only has the fender flares, or the 4 main body pieces. Has anyone been able to find a [i]complete [/i] G-Spec kit. I have found the hood and other accessories seperatly, but that would cost me well over $3,000 more than if it were in one packabe. Thank you for your help :D

Robert Szanto
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    If it appears to be an oily film, then you are correct, it is antifreeze. You don't want to be breathing that stuff. It is not good for the your health.
  • bbrown1bbrown1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello all, strange problem here,... the pass. side rotor on my'01 golf 2.0 has been rusting very quickly. I have had to change the rotors several times due to inferior aftermarket rotors warping (rhymes with bimbo) and everytime I tried to remove the pass. side, it was stuck from rust. Anyone else see this? Pads also wearing out much faster on that side as well. An electrical charge???? Help!!
  • golfistgolfist Member Posts: 1
    Help!! Just got a problem with the drivers side window,went to put it up and it just dropped straight down.Had the door card off,only to find another panel,undid all the retaining bolts but could not get if off.anyone got any ideas??? :confuse:
    Dropping windows is normally caused by "window regulator" being made out of plastic. VW will normally replace for no charge with metal ones. (Depends on year of your vehicle. (1999 --> 2002 I beleive))
  • golf_megolf_me Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the heater core in my '95 Golf, I had the same thing happening. On cooler nights I'd be driving and the entire windshield would fog up, and turning the defrost on would just make it worse. If you can hear water sloshing in the air vents or you notice any water on the carpets as well, it's definitely your heater core. Be prepared to pay out the [non-permissible content removed] for labor though, it's a long job. If you have the skills I'd recommend purchasing an aftermarket core and doing it yourself.....UNLESS the car has less than 100,000 miles,not many people know this (I work for a VW/Audi dealership), but VW will replace a heater core under warranty, parts and labor, no questions asked if you are under 100,000 miles. VW will do this because they were actually sued by people who were severely burned by hot coolant spilling onto their feet while driving/riding in the vehicle. So check your mileage, watch your toes, and get it repaired soon to prevent overheating troubles.
  • flyinganvilflyinganvil Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Did you get to the bottom of engine cutting out problem so far? I'm considering buying a 99 TDI which is occasionally experiencing the same thing. I haven't managed to reproduce the problem but the seller is a friend and has been honest enough to tell me it does happen from time to time. A temperature sensor was just changed in an attempt to solve it but that didn't work. I'd love to figure this problem out before I buy the car rather than afterwards!
  • dkexplorerdkexplorer Member Posts: 6
    Hi All,

My Golf recently developes a strange problem. After I turn off the engine, the fan just keep running. I have to turn the engine back on and turn it off again to stop the fan. What may be the problem ? The problem developed after I had the hazard light and gas line done undert he recent recall. Any possible corelation ?

This morning I could not even start the car. It seems the battery is dead. Is it possible considering the car was running fine yesterday. Would the batery just die like this ? What type of battery would I need ? If I replace the battery myself, will I mess up or loss the computer programe ?

Help please.

DK
    Check the fan relay
    Check the cylinder head temperature sensor which controls the fan after the engine is shut off.
  • stevej2stevej2 Member Posts: 1
    Having a problem.. engine light on the car is always on and every now and then the car will just shut off and then i have to restart it. Any one have this happen to him before? or have any clue what would cause this to happen everytime I drive it :(