Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf

Comments

• sroundssrounds Member Posts: 5
    I have a '96 Golf 2.0 and ever since I bought the car, after sitting in rain for a while, it's hard to start but once it's running I have no trouble. A couple days ago, I washed the car and started it up, but a minute later the car stalled. I would crank it over and over and this went on for severl hours. The car sounded like it was starved for gas but wasn't. I checked the distributor cap and it seemed all right (no water inside it) and after about three hours, got it towed to my house. I then tried starting it again and it would caugh as soon as I let go of the key. After sever times, I started up and seemed to be running great. But after about twenty minutes, I got into the car to leave and it would stall. This went on a couple more times and so I decided to get a new coil for the car since it always seemed to have trouble starting after getting rain. As soon as I put the new coil in, the car would start up but seemed to be running on three cylinders and was very smokey. I then thought it might be the plug wires that went bad so I bought a new distributor cap, rotor, plug wires and the car will only turn over like before, with the bad coil. I checked the plugs and found I was only getting the #4 plug to fire and now am not getting any spark from all four plugs. I'm thinking that I might have another bad coil but am not sure of this. Could any of you tell me what your guess is on this problem? And by the way, the timing belt is good, so that is not the problem. I have ordered a new coil and am waiting to get it back in the car.
  • kyle617kyle617 Member Posts: 2
    Hey does anybody know where the 91 VW Gti's are in MA??? I'm looking for one but can't find one.
  • shelley2shelley2 Member Posts: 17
    Hi there, my golf has developed a recent prob, on turning key and starting, the clock and trip mileometer reset themselves. The clock goes back to 12.00 and the trip to zero. Everything else seems to be working ok, and all fuses seem ok. Also the other week, the starter motor was intermittently failing to engage, but it has not been a problem this week. Are the two linked at all?
  • wbawba Member Posts: 3
    I've been doing some research in the forum trying to find out if someone else had a similar situation as mine. My 2001 Golf has a rattling noise, which I only noticed a couple days ago, that seems to come from the drivers side, or maybe the engine. It doesn't seem to happen all the time but when it does it will still do it even if the car is stopped. It also seems to happen (or I notice it) at lower RPMs. I'm not sure if its from a loose part in the door, from the tire, the axle, or the motor. I'd appreciate any help or suggestions you can offer. Thanks.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    All of those symptoms sure sound like a whimpy battery or poor conneciton to the battery.

It is also possible that your alternator is not charging the battery.
  • gfeehangfeehan Member Posts: 1
    did you ever get a response to this problem - my daughters VW has the exact same problem and will not pass inspection - it just started out of no-where!
    poor ground to rear lights.
  • sroewesroewe Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I was driving my 2004 Volkswagen Golf today and I heard a scraping sound, It seems the plastic protector under the engine is coming off.

I'm calling the dealer tomorrow and hoping this is covered under my 50,000 mile warranty.

Does anyone know what this piece is called, if it is not covered under the warranty, I'll want to get a few estimates.
  • leperfleshleperflesh Member Posts: 3
    The underbody plastic is considered 'trim' and thus is not covered under warrantee. However, it also isn't super-expensive. There's actually three pieces - one on each side near the tires and one in the center. I had one of the side-pieces replaced for about $80, if I remember correctly.
    The plastic skidplate under the engine aids in cooling by directing airflow out the rear of the engine compartment. It also protects the expensive aluminum oilPan from road debris. A small stone, speedbump or chunk of ice, can easilly make a hole in the oilpan and cause sudden loss of all engine-oil. (read sudden death to your engine!!)

Unfortunately, the thing has to be removed EVERY time the oil is changed and is a hassle to deal with. That is why I do "topside" oil-changes by sucking the oil out the dipstick hole. That way, I can change the oil from under the hood.

That said, I know some folks that have REMOVED tha plastic thing altogether and have run over 80K miles with it removed. (living on the edge?)

If you decide to replace that plastic peice, consider replacing with one of the steel or aluminum ones which do a MUCH better job of protecting that expensive aluminum oilpan. (and is priced about the same as the plastic one from the dealer.)

Here are a couple links to the steel -or- aluminum skidplates.
    http://www.evolutionimport.com/Volkswagen_Skid_Plates_s/17.htm
    http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/StoreFront
  • nerooonerooo Member Posts: 2
    hi, i just discovered today the trip\ display screen is blank, doesnt show any information, i have tried resiting etc...but nothing happened, any idea what is the problem.thanks lots. :confuse:
  • nerooonerooo Member Posts: 2
    i just discovered the trip display screen is blank doesnt work any more on my golf tdi , any help please, i have tried resiting it but seems is frozen. :confuse:
  • akcharlie1960akcharlie1960 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an 87 Golf in pretty good shape. I would like to know if I can swap out the factory grill and rectangular headlights for the GTi grill with round headlights with little to no modifications ? Thanks. Charlie
  • bankmanbankman Member Posts: 2
    I have just bought an automatic 2003 VW Golf 2.0 Generation. As I am not familiar with this car, just wanted to check with others whether the following is "normal"?;
    - When idling, it revs at around 1,000
    - Seems to switch into 4th (top) gear at around 60km/h where it revs at around 2,000, but when going at 100km/h, the rev counter starts to get towards 2,500-2,750
    - Once going, the temperature gauge basically lives on the halfway point, regardless of speed.

Any thoughts out there?
    Since the idle is NOT adjustable without a computer connected to it, and yours is not throwing any CEL, I would have to assume the idle speed you are seeing is normal.

I can tell you that it is normal for the temp guage to stay at 190 (straight up) all the time when at operating temp. The cooling system on VW engines is "bypass" type which is VERY good a maintaining consistant engine temp.
  • bankmanbankman Member Posts: 2
    Well bpeebles,

Something was definetly wrong. ONly a few weeks later, the engine light is on (continuously) and theres a definite problem with the gear changes (yes, its automatic) - it feels like its 'slipping' into the wrong gear occassionally, and sometimes does not have the power to get up hills.

I found all this out on a long trip and had to nurse it all the way home.
    Next stop...the mechanics.
  • technoweenietechnoweenie Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have an opinion on which is the better buy? I have a budget of 10k... I owned the 1997 VW_Golf and drove it until the wheels fell off. I drove that poor car to death. I love the feel of a VW but think the interior of the Mini is sooo cool, gadget wize. ;)
  • seamistseamist Member Posts: 4
    Didn't read all the posts, but I just had that fixed. Do you have a sunroof? There are two drain holes that can get plugged in the edges of it and drain out near the bottom of the front of the front doors. Take an air comressor hose with a blow gun and blow out the hole. That fixed mine in about 5 minutes.
  • mr_magoo1mr_magoo1 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry I'm not technical and would like your help.
    My display has just gone blank today, I was hoping it is just a fuse but haven't a clue really.
    Can I ask if you had any joy, or know what the problem could be?
    Appreciate any help/pointers you can give.
  • _lennox__lennox_ Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the 05 Golf GL ...solid car or what? A local dealer is selling one from VW Canada for just under $8 grand with only 59,000km. I took the car out for a test drive and it felt very solid and they have done an outstanding job keeping it great condition. I am going to have my mechanic have a look over but does anyone have any thoughts on this car be it positive or negative. Thanks for the input guys.
  • seamistseamist Member Posts: 4
    Get a diesel! You get more zip, 40-50 mpg, and it will run on biodiesel (even treated used ff grease). Best to get 2005 1/2 (first half of 2006 before the ultra-low sulfur engine). I installed a HHO system in mine and although the fuel mileage is the same I have a RACE CAR! The engine will last forever and it purrs very quietly. The exhaust doesn't stink like the inefficient pickup ones do. The interior is nice, quiet, solid, and converts to a wagon while still looking sporty. So to answer your question, yes and no. Be picky! Get a diesel or don't bother. :blush:
    I beleive you will find most folks that follow the VW forums may feel positive.

I can tell you we have several VWs in the family... both of my daughters drive VWs. My one daughter drives the wheels off of her little Gulf. She drove from Montrial Canada to NorthCaralina back to Vermont this summer. With over 130K miles on it... it keeps on running.

You did not say which engine it has... that may tend to sway some folks one way or another.

The 12-year/unlimited milage corrosion warantee is a HUGE plus for me. (I am in Vermont where they use a lot of roadsalt)
  • _lennox__lennox_ Member Posts: 4
    It the 2.0L 4 banger. It really is just for getting back and forth to university and such. The diesels really carry a premium with them, one which I am fairly certain I'm not willing to spend.

Any other experiences/thoughts?

Thanks for the replies.
  • mscholzmscholz Member Posts: 1
    The car was working fine and then just one time i went to start it just wont go. It turns over, just wont start. It was making some noises so i think the fuel pump may have gone bad, but i changed the in tank and still no different....HELP!
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Not too many changes for the Golf for 2011. The real changes are mainly in the electronics. A new Bluetooth kit is coming out that is fully integrated within the MFD display and can do A2DP. It's not a Skoda unit with A2DP. It's made by a different vendor and can integrate within the RNS-510, with Skoda like menus. It's standard on all TDI's but optional on the 2.5.

The Nav is now only $590, but they cheapened it and used a unit with a smaller screen, though you can retrofit an RNS-510 if you desire. The new unit is called RNS-315 and it's similar to the European RNS-310 but is for the US market. Not a whole lot of changes but more later.
  • bdesaibdesai Member Posts: 24
    I have ordered a 2011 reflex silver Golf TDI, 4dr, Manual. My dealer does not know the build date but says that it will probably be late August/early Sept before I get delivery. I am itching to get it though. Any ideas out there as to when to expect the first 2011 TDIs?? Also, I had to put 500 bucks down and am paying sticker price.
    edited July 2010
    I hope your dealer told you that there is no such thing as "ordering" a Volkswagen. (Not in the same sense as you can "order" an American-branded vehicle with every nuance of features your heart desires)

Instead, with VW, you can submit a 'request' for a specific combination of features (color, engine, xmission.... etc) When (if) the factory produces one which meets your requirements, then it will be tagged to be shipped to your dealer.

Beware!! I had a dealer take my down-payment and after I waited for several months, he admited that he never really submitted my 'request'. He then tried to 'push' me into a car from his lot. I got my money back and went to another VW dealer who was able to get the EXACT vehicle I wanted within several days by 'swapping' with another dealership.
  • ada7240ada7240 Member Posts: 2
    2011 EPA ratings are up nicely on the 2.5s. Do people buy TDIs knowing or not knowing about the fuel pump problem? It can completely blow the engine.
    Can you please elaborate on the "Fuel Pump Problem"? Can you also provide some weblinks to your references so we can read about it ourselves? (I could not find it on the NHTSA website)

Personally, I cannot understand how a bad fuelpump can 'blow' a diesel engine... would not the engine just stop running? (no perminant damage)
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    How'd they do it? The hwy mpg for the 2.5 went from 30 to 33 mpg.

My kid is buying a 2010, losing out on the mpg but getting the $1500 dealer incentive and $300 below invoice, probably saving $2000 over a 2011. $2000 buys a lot of gas.
    You said "Personally, I cannot understand how a bad fuelpump can 'blow' a diesel engine... would not the engine just stop running? </i "

I am eagerly awaiting a response to your question becasue I beleive you are correct.

Unlike a gasoline engine, a diesel engine speed is controlled by the amount of fuel injected into it.
    *)Too much fuel and it makes black smoke.
    *)Too little fuel and it has no power. (engine quits)

Unless the fuelpump somehow shreds metal particls into the engine... it is not possible to "damage" a diesel engine with a fuelpump malfunction.

With a gasoline engine, the same is not true. If the fuel-pressure is too low and the engine runs lean.... engine-knock could punch holes in the pistons or the resultant heat could cause aluminum pistons to melt.
    You said "Personally, I cannot understand how a bad fuelpump can 'blow' a diesel engine... would not the engine just stop running? "

I am eagerly awaiting a response to your question becasue I beleive you are correct.

Unlike a gasoline engine, a diesel engine speed is controlled by the amount of fuel injected into it.
    *)Too much fuel and it makes black smoke.
    *)Too little fuel and it has no power. (engine quits)

Unless the fuelpump somehow shreds metal particls into the engine... it is not possible to "damage" a diesel engine with a fuelpump malfunction.

With a gasoline engine, the same is not true. If the fuel-pressure is too low and the engine runs lean.... engine-knock could punch holes in the pistons or the resultant heat could cause aluminum pistons to melt.
  • jbaustianjbaustian Member Posts: 78
    Firstly, there was a problem with a part in the fuel system of a very tiny fraction of 2010 TDIs. And, because VWoA did not immediately take charge of this issue, some owners were at least temporarily inconvenienced.

But, this did not affect the TDI engines themselves; it was not a widespread problem; and VWoA has or will be reimbursing owners who initially had to pay for repairs out of pocket.

If I was not totally content with the Golf TDI I have now, if I was looking for a new car, I would only be in the market for another Golf TDI. I would, however, happily recommend the 2.5-liter gas-engine model for those who don't drive enough miles to justify the TDI engine.
    edited October 2010
    You said "....for those who don't drive enough miles to justify the TDI engine. "

I have never understood the logic behind such words.... The number of miles driven per year should have absolutely no bearing on ones decsion to buy a diesel.

Buy a diesel because
    *) better Fuel-cost-per-mile than any other vehicle on the planet.
    *) Lower maintenance costs due to no ignition system to wear out or require maintaince.
    *) Higher resale value due to high demand for TDI.
    *) Any extra cost to purchase TDI is recoverd when you sell it. (nearly break even)

Notice miles-driven per year does not factor in at all.

If you have some specific numbers that somehow show miles-driven per year can be a factor... please append here so we can all see it.
  • jbaustianjbaustian Member Posts: 78
    My point was that diesels make the best sense when you drive lots of miles, because the lower fuel cost per mile adds up faster. If you only drive 10k or even 15k miles a year, then the cost of fuel is a fairly insignificant part of your total cost of ownership. And, it doesn't matter so much that a diesel-powered car like a VW Golf TDI can last for 500k miles, because it would take such a driver 25-50 years to accumulate that many miles.

I only have 317k miles on the Golf TDI I bought new in the summer of 2003. It was the best decision I ever made when buying a car. But that does not make it the best choice for everyone else.
    I agree, my son just bought a 2.5. Like me, he does not put a lot of miles on.

I drive about 7000-8000 miles per year. I have little reason to care about an engine lasting 200,000 miles and the fuel cost savings going from, say, 25 mpg to 35 mpg would be only about $250 per year or $2500 in 10 years. I would not see a TDI as being worth the extra cost. To me, it might be worth paying something like $1000 extra to get the diesel mpg.
  • vchiuvchiu Member Posts: 564
    I recently placed an order for a 1.6 TDI Golf with the DSG gearbox. The car will be for company use and shared with 3 other colleagues.
    Delivery is scheduled for January 2011.
    I propose to share my ownership experience on this forum, but is this thread the good place to do so, or should I go to another one?

Forgot to add that company and myself are based in Paris / France. The Euro-Spec model I ordered is probably not sold in the US market. Would some people still be interested if I post some stories here?
    As soon as you said "1.6 TDI" , I knew it was a vehicle not available in North America.

As far as I am concernted, you may post your 'stories' here.... but I will be jelous that you have all those optional TDI engines which we cannot get.
    Well, this engine output is 105 HP only, which give the Golf 0-62 times comparable to that of a Prius.
    NA market has the 140 HP version which give the golf 2 seconds less on the same run without burning much more. I guess the extra MPG grabbed by the smaller 1.6 is not considered worth selling in the country of cheap gas.

The reason we choose this very model is mainly because of French tax base on company cars. With 109g of CO2 per Km (4.2L per 100 Km which basically represent 56 mpg) Yearly tax is about 436 Euro (+/- 600 USD) per year.
    A previous 2.0 TDI Passat would command 2500 Euros (3500 USD) yearly tax as it belonged to the 160-200g/km bracket. This amount is roughly the forecasted yearly fuel bill of the new car...

I, for one, would have prefered the smooth power of the 2.0 TDI, but the tax bracket was significantly higher.

Ordered model was a Carat version, displayed as a high-end version. On top of the DSG, we chose heating sport power leather seats, Adaptative Xenon lights, RNS 510 GPS Navigation and rear camera + park Assist. 16inch alloy wheels on 55X205 tyres.

Color is metallic Titan grey and black/black inside. We considered Tan color but the upper side of the dash was still black, which did not fit well.
    No sunroof
    Cheap gas (we are getting near $3 in my area currently) and also nothing like your annual car tax. In my state you pay a $75 fee per year for any car. Some states do have higher registration fees but pretty sure none would approach even $600.
    Diesel price per Gallon is about $6 and about $7.5 for gas here. and France is right in the average European Price.

European car tax varies a lot and definitely weights a lot on car choices. I am happy to see the US tax system is pretty soft on cars. Definitely not the same on cars.
    Hopefully individuals don't pay as much car tax as companies. Company car tax can go up to $ 5000 per year for a thirsty car.

On top of that, you have some Bonus / Malus systems wich gives incentives on high MPG cars and strikes thirstier ones. A Prius will get like $1400 incentive, while many 6 cylinder or above engined cars may have to add up to $3700 on the purchasing bill.

The Golf TDI we ordered belonged to the B bracket thanks to its low combined MPG of 56 (if measured by current US EPA standards, I would gess a tick below 50) So it gest an incentive of $700. The 2.0 TDI wouldn't have any.
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    edited November 2010
    The VW Polo is coming to the U.S. next fall if it comes with a TDI I would like to get one. I have a 2.5 VW Golf only have 4000 miles on it and If I shift into 5th gear I can get 32 mpg highway around town is about 24mpgs.
    The TDI diesal 2.0 gets 34 to 42 mpg.I would have had to spend $ 5000 more for it thats alot of gas money.
    Let me know how you like your new car. :shades:
    According to fueleconomy.gov, at 15,000 miles per year the difference in fuel cost is $265 per year, so it would take 19 years (285,000 miles) to save $5000 in fuel costs.

Another way to look at it is the $5000 will buy all your gas for 3 years.
    Woah! -- You should not be trying to recoup the entire cost of TDI against the fuel-savings. There are other factors to consider.

Do not forget that RESALE VALUE of TDIs is significantly higher than the gasser. Hence, you may wish to assume about 1/2 of the savings in fuel and the other 1/2 recouped in resale value. (or assume even MORE recoup in resale value.)

Additionally, the TDI has LOWER maintenance costs than gasser. (No ignition system to break, no sparkplugs to replace, no ignitor nor wires to fail.... etc)

TDI engine has ~500,000 mile life-expectancy while the gasser tends to get tired after about 200,000 miles.

Besides, does it really matter how LONG it takes to recoup savings? As long as the rest of the vehicle lasts that long, you still come out ahead. With the 12-year/unlimited mile corrosion-warantee, the body will last and last.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    First let me say that I love oil burners. (no, not GM's effort when they tried to convert a V8 gas block to diesel)

I don't agree with all your opinions here, tho. Hope you don't mind me elaborating a bit?

Yes, resale value is better. Much better in cities and towns where owners do a daily commute from, to larger cities 50 miles away. And those commute miles are the ones you want on a diesel if they are numerous, as short stop and start trips in town, especially in cold wx, are not the miles you want on a used diesel purchase.

But, I don't entirely agree that maintenance costs are, right across the board, blanket statement-like, less. Nowadays, gas engines with coil on iridium plug tech etc go well over 100000 miles with nary more than oil and air filter changes. But on the diesel you will pay more, not only for the oil filter, but the oil itself. Plus there are factors of considerable expense, way down the road. I should say 'potential' expense cuz of the varied (often ignorant) use/misuse of diesel engine components. Especially if they are turbocharged. The turbo itself, is very expensive if it starts throwing oil because it wasn't allowed to spool down most of its life on shutdowns. So expensive in fact, that in 200 to 250000 miles (when it might show its abuse) it would more than finance as many tune-ups as the equivalent gas job would incur in the same time-frame. And that is just the turbo. Injector pump repairs, make the turbo look like pocket change...(slight exaggeration) :) But you get my point. Then, there are the timing belt re and re costs every 60 to 80k miles cuz the diesels are all interference engines. (and many competitively classed cars are using chains not belts, so they are lasting very high miles also.

And I don't agree with your 200000 mile suggestion that the gas job is tired. Some yes, but lets say its had proper oil and coolant changes, 300+ is far more likely.

And of the two, a gas job is actually more forgiving of maintenance neglect than the diesel is. Sure, the diesel will keep on being neglected for quite a long term...even 125 to 150+ k miles, but when it says "I've had enough of this, I'm outta here" the costs will be huge. HUGE. Buy an entire dif 3 yr old small car, huge.

And/but finally, in the right hands, driving an oil burner is just a different visceral experience than a gas job. It has an entirely dif character that is rich in low revs and gobs of torque.
    For those that don't 'get it', their loss..
    FWIW, edmunds has nearly the same maintenance and repair cost for the diesel and gas models of the golf.

Of course, the time to recoup the extra expense matters, as that determines the return on investment. For someone like me, who drives about 8000 miles per year the diesel is likely not worth the extra expense. For someone who drives 20,000 miles per year, they would probably come out ahead by going with the diesel.

One problem is VW requires you to take a more equipped model to get the TDI, so the extra $5000 (if that is what it is) is paying for more than just the diesel engine. So the choice would also depend on how much you care about those extras.
    I know what you mean. I like luxuries like really good seats, heated also, but I don't want a sunroof.
    And it is getting harder and harder to find a few luxuries if you want a manual tranny.
    One of the tricks they do is pkg cruise control with a bunch of other stuff that not everyone wants or needs.

I won't let that stop me though, as I have a brand new Audiovox cruise control ready to go into the next vehicle or bike I buy that doesn't have it, or I have to pay huge to get. I already retrofitted one of these very units on my bike and it works like a charm. All electronic. Senses at the brake lights for canceling, and the tach and speed sensor for set.

The new Cruze or Elantra is a good example. I like the old days..before "packages".
    "FWIW, edmunds has nearly the same maintenance and repair cost for the diesel and gas models of the golf."

I can't find this info, please send link.

I find it hard to believe actually. For one thing it is hard to compare a gas to a dsl engine in that way. As one example, a fuel injection pump costs way more than a carb or a set of injectors or a throttle body. I know for an absolute fact that it costs way more to rebuild a dsl than a gas.

But even routine maintenance ,I find that hard to believe.
    Go through the "true cost to own" thing: http://www.edmunds.com/apps/cto/intro.do

and when you get the cost for a particular car you can click on "view details" to see the costs for maintenance and repair.

This ends up showing 5 year, 75K mi total of $3148 maintenance and $930 repair for gas and $2749 and $1230 for the diesel... so both end up at about $4000 total for R&M.

(those specific figures are for 4 door automatic, they vary a bit for other versions but still right around $4000)
    edited November 2010
    oh, but that is only at 75k miles. I'd much rather see the end result at about 300+ thous miles. Then you would see that some of the ones that slipped on maintenance, the dsl can really cost you. It can eat into fuel savings pretty bad. The point I was trying to make, was, if you neglect a gas and a dsl, the dsl will cost a lot more to rebuild.

thanks for link, I will check it out.

edit - that link isn't working, says page not found, might be a temporary glitch