Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf

Comments

• dasteph94dasteph94 Member Posts: 20
    I would love to buy a GOLF GL diesel but local dealers keep giving
    me the run-around--"We can't get them, buy a GLS instead"
    "VW doesn't really have GL's available"

Meanwhile, VW of America says the dealers are wrong!

What was your secret for getting a GL Diesel (I can do wihtout
    a Monsoon sound system!

Thanks for any tips
    Dasteph
  • alfollinalfollin Member Posts: 9
    Check your research - the GL is a 2-door, the GLS a 4-door. There are several other differences- the GL is pretty base. Monsoon is an option on the GLS.
  • toddnitoddni Member Posts: 1
    in final negotiations for a new 2000 Golf GLS 5 spd 1.8 with Lux Package, Monsoon, heated seats....This is the first new car I've bought and I'm not a great negotiator..The TMV with taxes and reg, out the door is about $21,087. If I'm prepared to leave about 50% down and given that it's a 2000, what should be my offer for this car? Thanks for the help...
  • alfollinalfollin Member Posts: 9
    You can easily find out what you should be paying from this website, or one of several others. It's worth your money to do your research before you get into "final negotions." Any answer you get on a message board is worthless, because your profile does not tell what state you live in. How would anybody know what the "taxes and reg" are worth in your state? Do yourself a favor and take the time to do your homework. It might be worth walking out on your deal just to give yourself time to learn what you are doing. Besides, walking out on a car salesman is often quite illuminating.
  • carladycarlady Member Posts: 35
    If you haven't already done so, be sure to check out our Buyer's Advice. You'll get some great info on how to buy a car!

carlady
    Host
    News & Views and Hatchbacks Message Boards
  • mlinkmlink Member Posts: 7
    Golf GL TDI's do exist, I found a few when I was looking for a GLS, be patient and call around. I phoned all the dealers in a 200 mile radius and found a lot.

2001 Golfs are made in either Germany or Brazil, Mexico does not produce Golfs for the US market. As for the Brazil plant being brand new I've read that it has been around for a lot longer than I've been.
  • vwgolfervwgolfer Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Golf GL 2.0L, and love it. I thought pretty hard about a TDI, and given the choice today, would have tried to get one. They are far quicker than the 2.0L, with 149 lb.-ft of torque starting at 1,900 RPM! And they can really be tuned for power that will "smoke" a 1.8T or VR6. And they get about 50 mpg all this time, too.

My 2000 Golf is from Germany. I wanted to avoid a 2001 because I heard they were coming from Brasil. But then I saw some 2001s from Wolfsburg last Fall at my dealership. There's probably no difference in quality, but it just sounds better for a VW to have been built in Germany.

All Jetta and New Beetles come from Mexico, and quality is good from there, too. A4 Golfs have never been produced at Puebla, as far as I know.

I like the Golf's styling much better than the Jetta's It looks more European. Some people think hatch backs a downmarket. Just go to Europe and see all the hatch backs. Many are sporty and many are very nice, not the bottom-feeder types (except the Golf) that are on the US market. The Golf is also a heck of a lot more practical. My dog likes to ride in the hatch! I just take out the hatch shelf, and lift him in (no claws on the paint), and shut the hatch. He loves it, and doesn't shed all over, either.

Good luck!
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    VWGolfer, How is the 2L engine in terms of power? I drove one and found it that it seemed to be more powerful than the stupidly named "Zetec" engine in the Focus. I also thought the steering was excellent, but cornering involved too much body lean. Still nice car. I disagree about the TDI being quicker. VW's own web site rates the TDI about a second or so slower to 100km/h than the 2L.
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    Does anyone else have the problem on Golf/GTIs where whenever you go over a bump, and you get body flex, that the doors squeek? This is caused by the top of the door rubbing up against the rubber weather striping. To ease this noise a bit, I put silicon spary on the rubber, but it doesn't help too much. VW has tried adjusting the door latch thingy so it will ease the squeeks, but it has done nothing. I think VW should come up with a solution for this problem.

- Anthony
  • cbocbo Member Posts: 1
    Any good dealers around here? I am seriously considering an auto Golf 1.8T with Lux Pkg. what's a good out the door price?
  • jaxvwjaxvw Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone aware of when the Golf design with be changed. Hoping for 2002. Edmunds calls the current styling 'dated'.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    With 308,000 miles on my 88 Festiva (original engine and clutch), it is time for a new car. Need some help. Can anyone give me realistic mpg for the 2.0L Golf 5-speed and auto? I considered the TDI but...NY won't register them now new or used because their certificate of origin must state "meets CA or 50-state emissions," which they don't. Also, required 40k miles timing belt ($500-$600 a pop) change, 20k miles diesel fuel filter ($150-$175 a pop, and a 10-30 cent premium for diesel over regular unleaded appears to make this false economy, even if you get 45-50 mpg. Is an 01 Civic really 10 mpg better than a Golf, which appears to be no better in mpg than an Accord? Any word on the new Protege-5 door due out in May? Thanks for checking in.
  • breakerbreaker Member Posts: 8
    mpgman
    I can definitely answer this one. I've got a 99 New Golf, 2.0l, 5 speed, about 34,500 miles on the odometer. I've got one of those little electronic organizers and I've logged the mileage from every tank of gas I've put in the car. (A little obsessive I know but with 308K on a Ford I'm sure you understand.) I drive about 80 miles highway a day, plus lots of local running around, trips, etc (about 20K miles per year.) The highway stuff is usually at a steady 80 mph (3850 RPM). My average MPG is about 28mpg over the 34.5K. High has been 35mpg out of a tank that I drove the speed limit, low around 26.5mpg when the engine was new. I just had the first "major" service outside the 2/24 warranty, it cost $320 (about $50 more than the same 30K mile service for my Chevy, not too bad for a European car.) I just don't believe that a Civic would AVERAGE 38mpg (10 mpg more) over 30 plus thousand miles.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I sat in a GTI at the car show last night and liked the seats better than in the GLS Golf. They were sport seats and bolstered, but didn't feel as hard as the GLS seats. Anyone in this room with a Golf GTI or GLS and a bad back care to share their experiences?
  • carladycarlady Member Posts: 35
    I've got a '96 Golf GLS and find the seats are fine for running errands. For longer trips say, over 2 hours at a stretch, I think the stiffer GLS seats to be uncomfortable.

Others?

carlady
    Host
    News & Views and Hatchbacks Message Boards
  • harvittharvitt Member Posts: 9
    see my earlier post, #199. automatic 2001 4 door silver gls, no luxury package, for $17,920 out the door. add appropriate amounts for the extras that you want. this was at walnut creek dorito bros dealership during their end of december sale. i don't know why they wouldn't be able to make the same deal a month later. other dealers that we tried (broadway in oakland, dublin, internet, wouldn't match dorito bros price.
  • hiwaysanityhiwaysanity Member Posts: 216
    the new VW seats? The new Golf/Jetta seem to be like my Passat seats. They are very firm, and seem at first to be uncomfortable. But over a long trip, I like the support. I don't get the cramping and numbness like I get in the '89 Caravan, which has cushy plush seats like a couch. IMO, I like the firmness better.
  • rlferrettrlferrett Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking into a small car for driving to and from work. I'm 6'4", and was just wondering if there is any legroom. I'm going to look at one next week, but would appreciate any information you can provide. Also, is the diesel difficult to start in cold weather? Thanks.,
  • sentra20sersentra20ser Member Posts: 68
    I know the Beetle has more headroom, and think the legroom would be simular.
  • potenzauspotenzaus Member Posts: 29
    Are dealers willing to accept an offer of invoice price plus maybe $300 for VW Golf?
    Any suggestions for dealers in No. Calif who will go for this kind of price?
    Thanks.
  • btp1btp1 Member Posts: 3
    Looking to buy an Golf GL Coupe. Carsdirect.com has upped the price recently and has them listed as "Limited Availability" in CA. The dealers don't seem to carry too many of them in the area. One salesman said they stopped production. Any of you folks know if this is true?
  • ellehcimellehcim Member Posts: 1
    I drove a volkswagen for the first time and I fell in love with the way it drives, that tight feeling to the steering and the way the car feels heavy and takes corners perfectly. I was going to buy a golf when i could afford it, but they changed the way it looks slightly and I am not sure I want it anymore. My question is what other kind of car drives that way? Is it only german cars? thanks in advance for any comments.
  • kyosakukyosaku Member Posts: 1
    Hey rlferret:

I'm a six-footer and my '98 Golf GL has plenty of legroom. I don't even have the seat back all the way. Headroom is excellent, too.

Mark
  • aqueenaqueen Member Posts: 15
    I've already got the Monsoon radio system with capability of CD control and am thinking of geting the CD changer installed. I've been looking into the retail market but most of the models come with the dash (which i think i don't need as the monsoon comes with the control). I don't know what parts I need and am trying to contact the dealer. I heard that the cost would be high if I ask dealer to do it. Any tips on prices and parts would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!!
    For what I can tell VW's are a little picky as to which CD Changers you can use. I know Panasonic makes several that are compatible (I've been told they make the one VW sells) there are also a few others. Check out the sound system forum at vwvortex.com, you should be able to find all your answers there.
  • der_kommissarder_kommissar Member Posts: 2
    Until last night I was the proud owner of a '97 Golf GL with the 2.0 engine. It was totaled last night in an accident that I am simply glad to have walked away from. The insurance company is giving me a good price for it, and because of the good job that the Golf did in saving my life, I would like to get another one, most likely GLS. My question is this- will I notice the difference between the 1.8t and the 2.0, given that I've driven the 2.0 for the last three years? I'm kind of set on an automatic, so I'm not looking at TDI because I feel that would lower the gas mileage. Thanks all.
    I am glad that you are okay after the accident. VWs are about the safest small cars on the road, according to the IIHS offset crash tests (more accidents occur offset an head-on too). The difference between the 2.0 and 1.8T is HUGE (having driven both). The 1.8T has plenty of reserve power for passing that the 2.0 doesn't have. But be prepared to use premium gas in it. If you are happy with a 2.0 and used to it, it will be fine. But if you want more, go for the 1.8T.

The TDI's gas mileage is lower with the automatic, but it's still astounding. Keep in mind, though, that diesel fuel is more expensive than regular gasoline (and even premium sometimes), and it smells god awful when refueling too (experience from filling up a rental moving truck about a month ago with it). Also, there is different maintenance for diesel engines, and I know for a fact oil changes are more expensive. Some other things may be too. Check out the site http://www.tdiclub.com for more info on the VW TDI engine.

• charlevoix1charlevoix1 Member Posts: 1
    As with an ealier message, I'm curious to see if VW is planning on any body style updates for the Golf.
    Also, what exactly does this monsoon system do? Does the Golf suffer from not having rear speakers?
  • elmstreetelmstreet Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone had had any positive or negative experiences with vw dealers in the cleveland area? I live about 40 miles west of cleveland, and am getting ready to buy a golf, and hoped someone might have some advice on places to check out (or avoid!). Thanks.
    The choice is down to a 2.0 Golf GLS or a Civic EX. Civic has the reliability and resale reputation, as well as mileage in the 30s with an automatic. I want to be convinced to buy the Golf. Anyone help out there? Thanks.
    Would you rather save some MPGs and get a Civic and live life boringly, or get a Golf, have some great twisty-road fun, and lose some MPGs? Also, the Golf includes free maintenance for 2 years or 24K. Don't forget to add that into the equation.
  • the10or11the10or11 Member Posts: 1
    If you're considering a 2.0 Golf vs Civic EX, take the Civic. It's got a better, more responsive engine. However, if you're willing to take a hit on gas mileage(and willing to use higher octane gas), take a look at the Golf 1.8T.
  • btp1btp1 Member Posts: 3
    the mileage is nice in the civic, but it's not as safe, and it's trunk is far less usefull than a hatch. it'll be quicker than a golf, but if you get a 5 speed golf, the power will be sufficient. i wouldn't get an automatic golf -that thing will be gutless. golf also has much better powertrain warranty. if i were you, i'd get the golf, but don't buy an auto.
  • norwaygolfnorwaygolf Member Posts: 3
    i bought a 2000 vw golf gls 2.0 ,5-speed in october. since then i've put almost 9,000 miles on it, mostly highway driving. i absolutely love it! the car is rock solid on the long drives and also around town. some folks say the 2.0 motor is too slow but i have found it to be just fine for normal driving. my previous car was a '97 saab 900 turbo 5-speed. now that car was a lot faster than the golf, but i enjoy driving the golf more. the hatchback design, bulletproof engine, good gas milage and overall vw quality are what made me buy the golf over the civic( i looked at the 2000 and 2001 civics). i am very happy with my decision! hope my rambling helps in your decision-good luck.
    I was between the Civic and Golf, but Honda has nothing to compete with the TDI and yes I bought the auto (besides the Civic had one of the cheapest looking interiors next the bottom of the line Saturn and was going to cost me $600 more a year in insurance). It still gets great milage, and if you are driving on the highway you only get hit with a 4/5 mpg penalty. (darn I can only get 45 mpg) It's true that the TDI's maintance costs are higher, but take into account fuel savings over several years and you make it back plus the purchase price (note diesel at truck stops costs around the same to a little more and recently cheaper than 87 octane. You also get used to the smell remember gas doesn't have the great of a smell either we've just been smelling it all our lives). The break even point is around 60,000-80,000 miles as compared to a $1000+ cheaper 2.0. Also look at longevity, its not at all rare for a diesel to go over 300,000 miles as long as it is well serviced.

As for the no speakers in the back, my Golf sounds just like my other half's Jetta. I havn't looked around for all of the speakers, but they must be somewhere. :)
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Mileage of Golf TDI Auto is 34/45
    Mileage of Civic HX Auto is 35/40

HP of Golf TDI = 90
    HP of Civic HX = 117

Purchase cost of comparable cars as of 02/16/01 on CarsDirect website

Golf TDI $17,770 This is for GL 2 Door Auto
    Civic HX $13,831 This is for HX 2 Door Auto

Golf TDI requires new timing belt every 40,000 miles, requires synthetic oil, requires brake fluid every 2yr/24,000 miles. And a timing belt is around $350 including labor.

Civic requires first tuneup at 105,000 miles.

Diesel fuel today is $1.57 in my area.
    Unleaded is $1.25.

Over 100,000 miles the fuel cost based on hiway mileage and above fuel costs would be;

$3488.00 for Golf
    $3125.00 for Civic

$700.00 can be added to Golf for the two timing belt replacements.

So you will save $3939 on the Honda at purchase, $700 for timing belts you won't buy, and save $363 on fuel after driving 100,000 miles.

Buy the Civic and you will also have an extra 27 HP compared to Golf TDI.

You won't have to buy your fuel at truckstop if you buy Civic.

Quality of Civic is generally considered to be superior to the Golf.

There are more Honda dealerships than there are VW dealerships in USA.

Civic is assembled by American workers, Golf is assembled in Brazil or Mexico.

Ergonomics are better in Civic than in Golf. IMO.

Golf is more fun to drive. IMO.

If VW makes you happy, then get a VW, but if cost and performance are your criteria, get the Honda.

mlink - do you really want to drive ANY car for 300,000 miles?
    The above message is a brilliant account of the savings by choosing Civic over TDI. TDI makes no sense in a country where gas is cheap like the US. You are dead right about driving a car with 300,000 miles. Sure the engine might be running, but what about the rest of the car? Don't get me wrong, I like the Golf more than the Civic in terms of style, ergonomics and build quality (that last one not to be confused with reliability which still lags the Civic's). But the golf in non-GTI form is not particularly entertaining to drive, nor is the Civic in any form. For that, one should buy a Sentra SE.

One last point about horsepower comparisons. The TDI's engine as gobs of low end torque and behaves in an entirely different manner to the the high revving Civic engine. The TDI will leave tire tracks on the road when accelerating from a stop, leaving the Civic (and its additional 27HP) sputtering. But once moving, the Civic will probably close the gap. In urban driving, the TDI is more suitable. But don't buy one because you think you will save $ in fuel costs over a Civic.
  • der_kommissarder_kommissar Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the tips. I ended up buying a left over 2000 Golf GLS 2.0 automatic last night at a great dealer in Nashville, TN. Highly reccommend both the car and the dealer. I'm going for a nice long drive today to check her out. I'm still a little punchy turning across traffic, but I feel safer in my new Golf. The side impact air bags and ABS were a must for me, which would have made for a very expensive Civic. When you take safety into account, the Golf is a good value. Anyone out there get the in dash CD player? I'm thinking of adding that next. I know an aftermarket unit would be cheaper, but I like the factory look.
  • mikusmikus Member Posts: 109
    Who said Golf design is boring or dated? Edmund's "experts"? Do they have arts education? Even if yes, do you care what they said? Don't you have your own opinion? Believe only to numbers. Every statement that cannot be measured, contains implicit "IMHO". Golf has well-known proportions and all this attention to smallest details. IMHO, of course ;-) If you want "styling", look at Pontiac Grand Am, for example. Functionality and clean lines are traditional european features. I love Golf. I should buy it instead of boring Camry, bad 1997 copy of 1986 Alpha 164.
    Considering pricing, our dealership was giving away 2K rebate on 2000 model last October (but only for 2.0L). It is 1K below invoice. But 1.8T is _much_ better. And, surprisingly, less noisy.
    ---
    Pontiac Grand Am stylish? What it needs is some more plastic body cladding. How very UN-European it is. VWs are selling like hot cakes in the US, but Grand Ams are are nowhere to be seen Europe, or anywhere else in the world for that matter.
    Wow boy, did not notice the sarcasm? What I meant was that europeans do not usually use word "styling" for car designs. It is an american word that means just fancy useless features, like Grand Am cladding or PT Cruiser pseudo-retro appearance, or nostalgic New Bug, styled in californian VW studio. Pure european cars are designed, not styled. Big difference, huh?
    Golf (and Jetta too) styling is very box like. Not very impressive.
    Have to agree that the plastic body cladding on Pontiacs is useless.
    Oldsmobile Intrigue, Aurora, and Alero, are all very clean styled, American cars.
    Pure european cars are styled, just look at Porsches.
  • bo_chungbo_chung Member Posts: 61
    I just had to tell you that your analysis of TDI vs HX was excellent and extremely helpful. I currently drive a gas-powered Jetta and was considering a Golf TDI for the next car and had recommended it to a family member who drove and liked a rental TDI in Europe. But your analysis rendered a sudden change in our opinion. I also noticed someone else's posting re:carbon deposit buildup in the exhaust system that will add to cost of owning a TDI. I am still not inclined to go with a Honda but won't consider the TDI again unless the sulfer level drops in US fuels and VW goes for the chain instead of the timing belts. Thanks.
    The TDI's are very interesting cars and more fun to drive than I ever expected.
    Saving money is not a reason to own one though, because they have a higher initial cost, higher maintenance cost, and the mileage gained does not compensate for the cost of diesel.
    If you buy the TDI because you like VW and like the idea of diesel, you will be happy with the car.
    I have been trying to make economic sense out of the TDI for a couple of weeks because I really do want one. For me the cost factor is number one, the reliability is second and my emotional attachment to the car is third when buying a vehicle. I'll have to keep driving my 37 MPG Corolla until the factors change.

Happy to be of assistance.
    Go to www.carorder.com for pretty good prices on Volkswagens. You can even see VINs. Even that VINs are not complete, one can see that all current Golfs GL and GLS are from Brazil (9), and GTI could be either from Brazil or from Germany (W). I wanted genuine german 5-door GLS, so now I have to think out GTI to get german car or try to find 2000 model. If only I could have Subaru Impreza Wagon with ABS...
    So Edmunds is wrong, telling people that GTIs are solely from Germany and Golfs from Mexico.
    You won't see a timing chain on the TDI because of the added noise. Good comparison of HX to TDI. Now why won't Honda put the HX engine in a four door? Coupes are supposed to be for the faster set...higher mileage per gallon belongs in the sedans. My digs at Civic compared to Golf are as follows:
    1. inferior seating comfort and leg room and no passenger seat height adjustment. Less useful driver height adjustment that is almost impossible to turn with door closed.
    2. inferior arm rest (looks like the one on the Accent) and little if any console storage...and that is on the EX.
    3. no folding outside mirrors.
    4. no available head curtains.
    5. no full size spare.
    6. no hatch.
    7. no 4 wheel discs and ABS only on EX.
    8. no rear head rests.
    9. smaller tires.
    10. no telescoping steering wheel.

Other than that, the Civic is probably a better car that clobbers the Golf in mpg with a 4 cylinder automatic or stick...on regular fuel. (all Golf gassers other than the 2.0 use higher grade fuels).
  • naiglebnaigleb Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the the web site Mikus.
    The prices for the Golf GTi seem to be to good to be true (more then 500$ below invoice, dealer holdback ?)
    What is the catch ?
  • rebel_eyerebel_eye Member Posts: 2
    Hello all.
    I thinking of buying a VW GOLF,
    but I am unsure if I should get a CL or GL.
    I want a 2 door version though, I want it to be a little sporty.
    Unfortunately I don't have enough cash for a new one
    so I am geting a 1995.

Can any one advise me on the GL or CL side of things... as in speed etc..?

Thanks.
    You wouldn't complain about the side cladding on Pontiacs if you owned one and saw a shopping cart barreling at it full speed ahead at the mall. You would be thankful for the money saved from the repair you would have had to make if not for that cladding.
  • chris5000chris5000 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a golf 1.8T LS. I live in Wisconsin and need to consider how a car handles in snow. I used to own an Integra GS which was a really fun car to drive, but was awful to drive in snow.

Does anyone have any comments about how the Golf drives in the snow??