Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The TDI requires timing belt every 60K for manual and 40K for automatic. 2.0 states to check condition of belt at 40K and 80K but does not list required replacement time. 1.8T requires replacement at 105K. V6 replace at 105K. VR6 states check condition at 40K and 80K with no replacement listed. The intervals are taken from 2001 VW maintenance chart and it only goes to 105K miles.
    The TDI is the only motor that I know is interference, I do not know about the others.
    Clutch is a wear item, just like the other manufacturers.
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    For my Toyota Paseo I took it to an independent mechanic who did the timing belt change for $120. Next time took it to Toyota dealership for timing belt change for $169 when I also had the three drive belts changed as well as water pump. Grand total for everything $350.

Now when someone say $450-500 for timing belt for VW, I assume only for that, no other belts included. From what I heard, Subarus also cost around 450-500 for timing belt change around 90-105k miles.

Leo
  • hiwaysanityhiwaysanity Member Posts: 216
    but my 626 cost ~$400 at the dealer, and $180 at my local guy. I expect my Passat to be a similar deal (at least I hope so!)
  • dbakalardbakalar Member Posts: 39
    Customer Care? That's a bit of a misnomer when it comes to the folks at VW. Recently I had to get my O2 sensors replaced, my coil pack replaced, then 2 months later, my temperature sensor went bad! SO... I contacted the good folks at VW to seek reimbursement for my expenses (the car is just 2000 mi. over warranty). Have I received any follow up calls? NO... Have they even WORKED on my ticket until I called yesterday and completely lost my mind? NO... VW has a LOT to learn when it comes to customer service. As for my car, it's running fine, I still absolutely LOVE it, but I'm terribly disappointed. My last VW didn't have a single problem... so when the cute little new VW Golfs came out, I ran like a wild banshee wo my local VW dealer and got one. I'm not sure I'd call it regret for purchasing one... but I'm not totally pleased at this point either. I've actually got more disappointment in VW customer service than in the car itself... call me stupid, but I do really love that car!

My point... just hope that you don't need to contact VW Customer Service for ANYTHING. They DON'T care!
    Did you get a Golf from the first year of production of Mark 4 (1999)? If so you should know better. First year of a model is always one to avoid. Look at 1998 Beetle for example, I sure would not buy one.
    Try contacting customer care again, and I wish you better luck this time.
    VWoA and the dealers certainly are not as good as the cars in my opinion.
    I got mine in late '99. In retrospect, I'm certain I could have waited another few months for the '00 model year. Live and learn I guess. That still doesn't excuse VW from providing DEPLORABLE customer service. And the folks at the service department could use a nice swift kick in the butt too.
    Even considering that each dealership is independent of VWoA I think that the dealership network inspires more people to do their own maintenance and repairs than any other.
    The dealership service experience is usually fantastic or absolutely terrible with even an oil change becoming screwed up. Not many VW dealerships fall into the average category that many of the Ford, GM and Chrysler dealerships do.
    The best VW service I have found is at dealerships that are paired with another make such as a Ford and VW dealership or Acura and VW.
    Find a good independent mechanic that specializes in VW's or German cars as an alternate to the dealer once your warranty is over.
    VWoA is also requiring many dealers to upgrade their facilities which is good news.
    It is rumored that VW almost left the US in the late 80's and the dealership network sure does look like it was neglected for a long time.
  • hiwaysanityhiwaysanity Member Posts: 216
    from Wellesley VW in Massachusetts. I would recommend their service dept. - I'll reserve comment on the sales end until my next experience with them.

My warranty is about up, though, and unless they sell me with some really good specials, I will use my local independant mechanic.
  • karaann77karaann77 Member Posts: 1
    I have to buy a used car fast (my 95 Civic was totalled) and I found a '99 Golf GTI 2.0 liter 5 spd. It's red, new dual exahust, only 12,000 miles. The best price I could get was $16,000. Anyone know if this is a good deal?

Also, does anyone know if 16-inch TSW Hockenheim R wheels would fit on this car?
    16K is too high. Try $14,000. I would pass on this one, but it is your money.
    I have seen 2000 1.8T Golfs for $17,500, you might consider one of these if you want a sporty car, and insurance would be less than GTI.
  • sdwilson8sdwilson8 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a Golf III VW 1995 (76,000 odo) to possibly purchase from a used car lot in Indio, CA, and they have no history on the car. It looks like a VW jetta but as a little sporty station wagon ... In looking it up in the Edmunds.com there is no info on this model!! I really need a reliable dependable car so don't want to purchase a car that has a history of problems ... or easy to steal (like the Jetta). Can anyone give me advice on maintenance, problems, cost re this car??? Thanks!! I only have 2 days a decision re purchase, so would be most grateful!! thanks, Dawn
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Just got off the phone with the service department at Stohlmann's VW in Tyson's Corner, VA. He said that the new recommended timing belt interval change for 2001 TDI automatics is 60,000, the same as for the manual transmission models. Said he was sure there was paper on it, but didn't have the time to research it now. When questioned, he was very firm and confident that his information was accurate. This is what I have heard from a few others as well in the past few months, and had posted earlier. Phone number to the dealership is 703-893-2990. Called the 2 VW customer relations 1-800 numbers but they were clueless.
    I would highly recommend not having a TDI serviced at Stohlmann's. Why, they don't have the correct information on the most important maintenance item on the TDI. The manual states 40K for change of timing belt on auto TDI, VWoA maintenance guide for 2001's states 40K, and there is no TSB for the change, and there would be one if a change was made.
    It is very discouraging hearing about the ignorance of some dealers, some of them can not even change the oil properly, the TDI takes 4.4 quarts and many dealers add 5 quarts.
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    where are you from man? Stohlmans? That's right in my neck of the woods. They really suck, period. I will never take my car to them again, and their service department is filled with a bunch of [non-permissible content removed].

I watched them change the oil once and he didn't drain it from the pan, only from the filter. Ugh.

- Anthony
  • skinnypooskinnypoo Member Posts: 20
    1999 Golf Wolfsburg 4 Sale
    Dark Green Metalic, Tan Interior (good condition)
    Power Everything, Cruise, Automatic
    Body color mirrors, handles, darkenend tailights,
    Leather Wrapped Wheel, 6 CD Changer, Cassette
    fog lights and VW whip antenna.
    12,100 miles. (2 years 9 months old) (light mileage)
    Astoria, Queens, USA

Asking for $10,900

email: skinny@escape.com
  • fw1fw1 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 93 Golf 20 months ago. About a month ago that car was hit by a drunker. And the insurance company had total my car.

I don't know much about car but I love that car a lot, even though it’s only a small car but it has a lot of power, I never encountered any problem in going uphill. The only problem I ever had with that car was I noticed the maintenance cost for VW seems to be more expensive than other cars. I am not sure if I am right.

Now I am considering buying a new Golf GLX I know the price is about $17,000+. I need to run 70 miles a day, 6 days a week. I wonder if it is a good choice, I appreciate it if someone can give me some insight.
  • winfredwinfred Member Posts: 11
    I am interested in buying a white golf 4 dr 1.8t with auto, plus the luxury package.
    What is the best deal?
    I am currently living in Davis, CA, in between SF and Sacemento.
    And i am moving to Claremont, CA soon, very near LA,
    Can any one give me some suggustion where should I go get it, in the north or south?, any good dealer recommended?
    bty any difference between 2001 and 2002?
    The 1.8T is discontinued in the Golf 4 door for 2002. If you want this car you will have to buy what ever 2001 that is still at the dealers or buy a 2000 or 2001 used.
    Used Golf 4 door with 1.8T, auto, and luxury with 5 to 10K miles are priced at $17 to 18K.
    FYI the dealers in my area no longer have any 2001 1.8T 4 door Golfs. Good luck.
  • alpanianalpanian Member Posts: 9
    I snatched one of the last Gofl gls 1.8t in around here (East Bay, CA) just 4 weeks ago. The dealer said he was getting one more (and already had a deposit on it), and that VW was now going to put all their 1.8t engines in the Jettas and GTI's. I was actually surprised that I got a good deal ($10 over invoice) on this hot little car. I got the luxury package, Monsoon and manual. I love it. If you really want the 4 door I would hurry and buy the first one you see. It will not be around for long.
  • jtedescojtedesco Member Posts: 2
    Can someone explain why the 1.8T in the Golf/Beetle/Jetta puts out 150 hp while the 1.8T in the Passat and A4 puts out 170 hp?

Same engine right? Can you dial up the Golf?
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    You can "dial" up the Golf 1.8T to 170HP if you don't mind "dialling out" your warranty.

If VW is not supplying 1.8Ts for the 2002 Golf and Jetta, what will be the replacement engine?
    There is no "replacement engine" in Golf for the 1.8T. The Jetta will continue to offer the 1.8T and the good news is;

2002 Jetta

- New VR6 24V with 201 hp and 5-speed automatic transmission (first car in its segment to offer this feature) with Tiptronic® will replace current 12V VR6 by mid model year
    - Manual transmission (6-speed) will be available later in the year for the VR6 24V
    - Accentuated dual chrome exhaust on 24V VR6 models
    - 1.8T engine increased from 150hp to 180hp
    - 5-speed automatic transmission (first car in its segment to offer this feature) with Tiptronic® available on 1.8T
    - Premium CD/cassette radio for GLS and GLX
    - New Color (Reflex Silver will replace Silver Arrow)
    - Trunk escape handle
    - Cruise control indicator light
    - On/Off switch for self dimming mirror

For the Golf;

2002 Golf

- New color (Mojave Beige)
    - Premium CD/cassette radio standard on GLS (mid-model year introduction)
    - Cruise control indicator light
    - 4 doors will now be available on GL

Who knows why VWoA does what it does? Some have speculated that the 1.8T in 4 door Golf makes the 1.8T in the GTI seem less sporty, I can not predict what VWoA is going to do because most of the time their decisions defy all logic.
    Any word on the TDI models? Carryover with little or no changes? Available in GL and GLS? 2.0L still available in GL and GLS? Thanks.
    Today, Volkswagen of America, Inc. announced a new vehicle warranty available on all 2002 Volkswagen models that begin arriving at U.S. dealerships this month and throughout the summer and fall. Volkswagen said it based its new warranty for the 2002 model year on customer research and feedback, creating a more optimal warranty focused on providing even better comprehensive coverage for today's Volkswagen customer.

For the 2002 model year, all new Volkswagen vehicles will come standard with an increased four-year/50,000 mile (whichever occurs first) bumper-to- bumper warranty, up from two years/24,000 miles. The warranty covers wear- and-tear items and adjustments during the initial 12 months or 12,000 miles of ownership.

In addition, Volkswagen will offer a fully transferable limited powertrain warranty that covers five years or 60,000 miles (previously 10 years/100,000 miles, but transferable only from the original retail owner to a family member).

"Volkswagen's previous Protection Plus Warranty, which was the first of its kind in the industry when we launched it some six years ago, has offered many customers benefits -- especially to those owners who plan to own a Volkswagen for many years to come," said Frank Maguire, vice president in charge of sales and marketing. "We want to be responsive to our customers and research tells us the new 4/50 offers what today's buyer expects from a premium warranty. It reflects our commitment to meeting the evolving preferences of our customers."

Volkswagen's new warranty plan also includes the added security of a four- year/50,000 mile, 24-hour roadside assistance program (increased from 2001's two-year term).

Exceptional corrosion perforation coverage remains 12 years with no mileage limit for all fully-galvanized Volkswagen vehicles (Cabrio covered for six years, Eurovan for eight years.)

Founded in 1955, Volkswagen of America, Inc. is headquartered in Auburn Hills, Michigan, and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Volkswagen AG. As America's top-selling European brand, Volkswagen markets a full line of vehicles through a network of some 600 dealers in the United States.
    I posted this in the GTI forum too.

The Audi A4/Passat (B5 platform) share the same 1.8T. The GTI/Jetta (A4 platform) share a transversely mounted 1.8T compared to that of the B5. All that VW did to get the HP up to 170/180 was up the pressure through the turbo (more boost!).

- Anthony
    Moparbad, you started to sound like a commercial in your last comment. You still didn't say what will replace the 1.8T in the Golf. It's probably the 2.0 right? This is not a bad engine and actually has more "bite" than the turbo. You know, that feeling of instantaneous response when pressing the gas pedal slightly.
    The 1.8T has turbo lag and it's Drive-by-wire as opposed to cable throttle with the 2.0

- Anthony
  • ash328ash328 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 1999 VW Golf 4 dr. I love it. I'm at 50K and in need of new tires. I commute daily in our wonderful New England weather. Any advice?

I'm looking at Michelin MX4 Plus. But I'm finding tire shopping VERY confusing.

Thanks in advance
    Arnie
    Boston, MA
    arnie@ici.net
    Just look at the size of your current tires and get whatever you want in the same size. No confusion.
    About what tire is the best. Go to www.tirerack.com and put in your tire size/model car and it will give you all the possible tires. Then they have reviews and tests about the tires. It will help you out a lot.

- Anthony
  • bigdaddy62bigdaddy62 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a 2001 Golf TDI in the northern Virginia area (I live in Stafford) and I was wondering if anyone out there can recommend a good dealer in my area. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated as I am new to the area.
  • jlim1jlim1 Member Posts: 50
    Does anyone know when the 2002MY Golf will be available in the US? Also, what are some of the significant changes between 2001 and 2002 Golf? I would like to consider 2001 Golf GLS but they are so pricy (compared to a formal respectable sedan like Civic), so maybe the introduction of 2002 will bring the sticker price for 2001 down a bit. How about the insurance premium for Golf, relatively, against good sedans? Thanks !
    Price will probably rise if anything. I would probably wait to get the better warranty available only on 02s. Other than that, they probably won't change much, maybe a new colour or option package.

Hondas are typically more costly to insure due to the higher theft rate. A similarly priced Golf may be cheaper to insure.

Golfs cost more than Civics because they are nicer cars. You won't find 4 wheel discs, 8-speaker stereos, head air bags, etc. on a Civic. The Golf/Jetta is really in a different class when compared to other small cars like the Civic.
    I bought my Golf in '99 from Alexandria VW. The salesman (who's no longer there) was a real dumb [non-permissible content removed], and the sales manager handled 99% of my deal. She was great. I got a good deal, and didn't have to spend my entire day there, wrapped up in paperwork and wasted time. The car came to me spotless, full tank of gas, and I was outta there! I'd deal w/ them again in a hearbeat. I'm NOT fond of Stohlman VW in Tyson's Corner. I bought a 91 Jetta there, and got the traditional run-around, back and forth on prices, and felt very frustrated and TIRED when I left. I've been back to that particular dealership for service issues, and I'm not very impressed with the service department either.

Just my $.02
    Especially their service department. I'm takning my car in for service next thursday at Fairfax VW. They seem to be a lot better, I'll let you know. It's also good to go to a dealership where they sell higher end cars. Fairfax sells Volvo, so maybe their techs are a little bit better. Just a thought...

- Anthony
  • prodigy64xprodigy64x Member Posts: 4
    From what the July 2001 edition of Automobile magazine(volume 16, #4) is saying, there is going to be a significant redesign of the Golf/GTI 2003 models(still a ways away though). VW's reason most likely for pulling the 1.8T from the 4 door was probably because in the 2003 models the 2.0L's horsepower is going to be increased to 136. The magazine is also stating that a 230HP V6 is going to replace the 174HP V6 in the GTI (why can't they make a "GTI 4 door" version with this V6??? I mean that is a lot of power for a car this size with no after-market hook-ups), and a 170HP turbo 2.0L (yes i said 2.0L not 1.8L, 2.0L) will appear in 2004. The design of the new golf is going to be more closely related to the new passat mechanically than the jetta this time. A monochromatic navigation system, voice-activated cellular telephone, and a in-dash cd player are going to be options in European models and may make it to the US (I hope so, cause I wouldn't mind those options). There is a picture of the new golf in the article, but i can't post it here (I wish i could for all to see but my scanner is broke). In my opinion if you are going to buy a new golf, but don't get to a dealer before they pull the current 1.8T 4doors, wait if u can for this new golf cause its going to be bigger and have more features--but probably more expensive though. If u go to the store anytime soon, stop by the magazine section and take a quick glance at the article. Its in the front section of Automobile Magazine July 2001 edition under "News."
  • cjb101cjb101 Member Posts: 1
    Hi -- I've been trying to track down a four-door turbo, 5-speed, luxury package. The dealer says he can find one, but it looks like I might not be able to get it for less than MSRP (about $20000). I had enough trouble haggling down from the $4000 markup they're putting on all their cars. I'm wondering: is this too much to pay, considering they have to locate and ship the car here? The cars are tough to come by right now, and I heard they're not even putting the 1.8T in the GLS next year.
    Thanks for any input; and if you have one, let me know how much you paid...
    20K may be a bit much to pay for a new golf, (dealers out here are selling them for about 18 to 19K) but 20K may be about average where ur at. A couple of dealers have a lot ( at least 10) of 1.8Ts still on their lots out here and are trying to get rid of them quick.
    If the Mk 5 platform is sold in USA prior to 2005 I will eat my hat. The next generation platform has not even been introduced in Europe and it usually takes 2 to 3 years for product introduced by VW Germany to be offered by VWoA. You are lucky if the same product ever arrives in the US.
    Where is 4Motion, where is Pump Deuse diesel, where is the Polo, where is Caddy, NOT in the US.
    Is the Polo the Lupo? Where is the Lupo and the Audi A2 turbo diesel when you need them? 70-100mpg? Can't believe people wouldn't buy them here.
    Of course the golf V hasen't been released in Europe yet, the last time i checked my calender it said 2001. The golf V isn't scheduled to be launched until 2003 with a US launch either 6 to 8 months later--not right at the beginning of 2003. The latest the Golf V would come to the US would be 2004, when the Jetta/Bore model will be redesigned for Europe. Yes I do know that forigen car makers tend to release new products in their home country well in advance to another country (even Ford released the Contour/Focus line in europe before the US). VW has been know to make wierd moves with the way it treats its products sometimes and this I am guessing this is one of those wierd moves.
    As for 4motion, it is here, just not on the US golf, and probably never will be (unless people start destroying VW dealers chanting "4motion golf, 4motion golf") because it would probably drive up the price too much for their target market in the US. 4motion models aren't as prominent in the US because it would drive VW's car prices out of reach of their target market. (the US 4motion passat already cost more than a comparable fully loaded car without AWD) As for the other things you mentioned they aren't in the US because of US consumers, would you honestly buy and drive a VW Caddy? (and besides think of all the cheap golf/Caddy jokes people would make, people already make fun of the golf name enough) VW's reason for not bringing the Polo over in its exact form was probably because it would look too much like a cheap version of the Audi A4. Would you spend more money on a A4 if u could get similar looks with a few less features in a cheaper polo?
  • m3fanm3fan Member Posts: 30
    Prodigy64x, I would agree with you on the 4motion, however, I don't agree with your argument about the Caddy. I think they'd add a different look to the utility class. Maybe not as much "sport" but more "utility". :)
    About the jokes... Do people make cheap jokes about those driving Beetles? No, because WV did a great job of reviving the good parts of the old Bug. And if market surveys would prove Caddy' name to be a big problem, they would simply choose a different name for the North American market. For example, the previous generation of Jetty has been sold as "Veto" in Europe and the current generation is known as "Boar" over there. I bet you not all people who drive 'Bora' are 'boring'. :)
    And I can't see how you can compare Polo with Audio A4. Basic Polo is a 5-door hatch back. The Classic' version is more sedan like but is still not close to the A4. The last one is named 'Variant' and is wagon-like. I know it's a matter of opinion but Polo looks cannot match that of the A4. Just look at the pictures.
    I would really like to see the Polo at this side of the Atlantic. I think it would help VW compete with Mazda Protege 5. Just a thought.
    Now, I'm switching to wishful thinking when I say that I'd love to see the Audi A3 here. That's not going to happen as VW has the Golf filling the hatchback category and the A3 would be too pricey. It's a sweet car!
    I have a few other things to get off my chest, but I'll put them in my next reply.
  • scrumshyscrumshy Member Posts: 8
    I'm getting a 2000 VW GOlf 1.8T and I want 16" tires and want to know if anyone has 16s on their Gof and the tire size they have with them. I want to keep the diameter about the same as the stock wheels and tires.
  • m3fanm3fan Member Posts: 30
    mpgman, Polo is not Lupo. While Polo is a small 5-door hatch, sedan, or wagon, Lupo is even smaller (at least it looks so). I'd compare the Lupo to the Rover Mini that will hit dealerships soon.
    As far as MPG is concerned, I'm totally with you. Honda's marketing pushes the Insight as a marvel of technology because is takes 3.2l/100km on the highway and 3.9l/100km in the city (or 61mpg/68mpg). Meanwhile, for years, pretty much every automaker in Europe has had a model geared completely at economy. The small TDI in the Polo does 41mpg-city/65mpg-highway. It has adequate power and has no batteries so it gives you true engine behaviour. How about the looks? Polo looks great, but the Insight's looks makes you wanna keep it out-of-sight.
    The problem here is the diesel. (here's comes my outpour of emotions...) People in North America have a misconception about diesel engines. Everyone tells me they are dirty. Well, Polo cannot match Insight's ULEV status. Yes, they're not as clean as gas engines, but they're not dirty. The new direct injection diesels are quite remarkable. They too have to meet emission standards as other engines out there. Great mileage, tons of torque, and they last. However, the law of supply and demand makes it so that diesel here is just as expensive as gasoline. That's not the case in Europe.
    I'm not in a market for a TDI and I like sporty hatches with gas engines. However, my point is that there's more potential in diesel engines than we would like to admit.
    for the 16" wheels is 205/55/16.

- Anthony
    The Caddy would be a nice design change in the SUV market if VW decided to classify it as one if it ever brought it to the american market, but the design may be too much for people to handle in that very market.

As for the VW Bore, people that drive Bores aren't boring, they just look like boars. (see, cheap jokes :)

VW dosen't need to bring over the polo to the US to compete with the Protege 5, they have the jetta wagon to do that for them. I still believe the polo looks similar to a A4 though: http://tonyscrib.homestead.com/polovsa4.html

take a look at that page and you be the judge. The golf IV design is the foundation of VW group's smaller cars in all their brands (i.e. Audi A4, VW polo, VW Jetta/Bore, Skoda Fabia etc...) The A4 is closer in relation to the golf than the passat, the passat is closer in relation(loosely) to the A6. But anyways to end this reply on a lighter note here is a comment from a friend of mine after mentioning to her I liked the VW Golf IV, "You like the golf?!?! whenever I see one on the road it reminds me of a old Converse shoe" followed by a brief moment of laughter. I'm still wondering how she said it looks like a Converse shoe, that is even worse than a comparison between a A4 and a polo. :)
  • nick77nick77 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Folks,
    I'm getting about 450 Kilometers to a tank with quite a bit of highway driving. Seems low to me.
    My car is a 99 new golf GAS - 5 sad.
    My tire pressure is good, oil changed regularly, and & I don't have a heavy foot - so what gives?
    Any ideas or is everyone getting the same bad mileage as me?
    Calculating mileage on a per tank basis is inaccurate. How do you know how much fuel is left or how full it is when you fill the tank.
  • nick77nick77 Member Posts: 6
    It's simple really.. I drive till I'm almost empty and then fill up. The pump also reads how many litres your paying for.
    Have you got any suggestions?
    Nick
  • hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    Your post gave the impression that you estimated how much was still in the tank when filling up. "Almost empty" is highly variable. My 420 Km per tank could be higher gas mileage than your 450 Km per tank. Instead quote actual results, mpg or Km per L.