Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf

Comments

• adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    The climatronic system tells me everything I would want to know. :)

Anyways, fill up the tank, reset the trip odo, then when it's time to fill up, see how many gallons you filled up and divide the mileage by the gallons.

- Anthony
  • weatherdanweatherdan Member Posts: 28
    I purchased a beautiful Indigo Blue New Golf GLS automatic with the luxory package on April 17, 1999. It has been a horrible experience almost from the first day. It is absolutely amazing all the things that have gone wrong with this car. In 2.25 years the car has been serviced approximately 15 times! And as of today, the mileage is only 18,950! How so many things can go wrong/malfunction/break on a car with so few miles boggles me. I had a Honda for 15 years before this car so the difference in integrity is striking. I bought the Golf because it seemed much more enjoyable to drive than a new Honda. And I liked the features and the hatchback. Here is a condensed list of all that has gone wrong with this vehicle:
    4/30/99 (two weeks after purchase!): air bag warning light came on; spiral spring assembly had to be replaced.
    10/26/99: valet key will not turn ignition; center rear-seatbelt jammed.
    12/21/99: cruise control shuts off when operating turn signal to change lanes; replaced.
    1/28/00: seatbelt jammed again.
    5/4/00: seatbelt jammed again.
    10/25/00: seatbelt jammed again; replaced (finally). left rear door lock not working. left front door panel comes loose when door opened.
    2/20/01: driver's side rear door lock not operating.
    3/9/01: driver's side rear door lock not operating; new lock and window regulator installed.
    3/26/01: rear door lock still not operating; door lock replaced again. faulty ground at lock harness found.
    4/17/01: door lock *still* intermittently inoperable. window also inoperable. window regulator replaced again. bad wire in B pillar repaired. "Check Engine" malfunction light on; main engine control unit replaced. original warranty expired.
    5/4/01: door lock **still** intermittently inoperable. Loose ground wire found in B pillar. Finally fixed!
    6/21/01: bad water leak on driver's side floor, carpet soaked and musty. right rear window occasionally inoperable. right front passenger door handle/window control housing pops out of door frame when door is opened.
    7/12/01: driver's side floor still getting wet and musty. resealed box under driver's windshield cowling, cleaned corroded wires. right rear window motor replaced per 6/21/01 problem. front door trim panel removed and new lock installed per 6/21/01 problem.
    7/17/01 and currently: "Check Engine" light on.

I have been in contact with VW of America. They were supposed to call me back today as they agreed the problems have been "excessive". But I have not heard from them yet. Supposedly the man I spoke with wanted to check with a factory rep concerning "compensation", whatever that may be. "Compensation" won't solve the root of the problem which is that the car is a piece of junk and continues to require frequent service. Now it is once a week. The longest period I have gone without service required is about 5 months. And still only 18,950 miles driven in 2.25 years.

In the past week I can take a little solice in the fact that two colleagues who were seriously considering VWs have decided to purchase other vehicles upon hearing of my problems. Obviously, any car maker can have a lemon. But VW reliability is a true sore spot per Consumer Reports. I had hoped with the New Golf it had improved but apparently not.

I can not recommend a VW Golf to anyone. It is a shame because the car is actually fun to drive and looks great. Suffice it to say I will never purchase another VW product in my lifetime.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I purchased a Golf GLS TDI with all the bells and whistles 4 months ago. So far it has been nothing but joy and happiness. No rattles, no squeaks, no problems.
    What I do have is more fun driving than any other car I have ever owned. It is an auto and still averages 42 MPG in mixed city/hwy driving with the majority hwy.
    I would recommend the Golf to anyone. I may never drive anything other than a VW again.
    moparbad wrote: "I purchased a Golf GLS TDI with all the bells and whistles 4 months ago. So
    far it has been nothing but joy and happiness..."

Four months? Please revisit that statement after at least another 23 months. Then we can talk apples and apples. My Golf was nothing but "joy and happiness" (minus the air bag spiral assembly replacement) after four months too. No one can tell any car's reliability or durability after four months. Even Chrysler products, arguably the least reliable or durable products on the American road in the long run, are wonderful after just four months. The fact is that I expected a good product from VW. I expected the 1999 New Golf to be at least as good as my 1984 Honda was for quality, reliability and durability, and not just for its "fun driving", its great "bells and whistles", good looks (mine still gets complements all the time), and great crash test results. I intended to have it for just as long. So far it and VW have failed miserably. VW has lost a customer for life due to shoddy workmanship, design, integrity and quality and unfortunately as a result I will certainly never purchase another VW product again. And I will continue to do all I can to not recommend VWs to anyone considering one as well. So far two colleagues, after initial serious consideration, have rejected VWs specifically based upon my experiences. Consumers Report has also questioned the reliability of the Beetle which is essentially a Golf with a Beetle body.
  • hiwaysanityhiwaysanity Member Posts: 216
    after a sample "volume" of one. I've had a Passat for 18 months that has been essentially flawless. A friend is driving a Golf that is about 30 months old with ~40k miles, and it has been a wonderful car. There - that's 2::1. Based on the extensive evidence of 3 vehicles, can we conclude that you are twice as likely to get a flawless car from VW? I don't think so. Add in everybody we both know who own VW's, and any conclusion is worthless. You had a bad experience. We've all had them, and they can sour us on a brand. But a vendetta is silly.

The reliability of the Golf badge, overall, has been about average compared to all other cars in it's class. Jetta has been a bit below average, Passat has been a bit above. That's hardly a reason to indict VW overall.
    Spite? A vendetta? Please, you are reaching and that is ridiculous. Excuse me for expecting VW to produce a good product and when they did not, commenting so. I have just stated the (condensed) facts as they are. People considering VWs have come to me and ask about my Golf experience as it is natural to seek out someone with a similar vehicle or brand when considering a purchase. I have told them. They decided that it was not worth the risk. Their decision. If you purchased a bad major appliance for thousands of dollars which required unusually frequent service even while still new would you recommend it to others? Or buy another one? That does not come close to spite or a vendetta. And no, it is not just a case of 1, 2, or 3 vehicles. I am sure someone out there had a wonderful Yugo too; I would not run out and buy one though. I would also look at the broader picture. As stated, Consumer Reports has clearly indicated disappointing reliability concerns with some VWs. I can vouch for that in spades.

Sorry I can't cheer for VW as some seemingly would wish. And I'd like to. This is a VW Golf posting board and I have posted my experiences for others to hear. Bad warts and all. YMMV. When I was considering the Golf I checked out as many comments as I could find, here and at other places such as the VW Vortex web site. And I specficially searched for negative comments, experiences and recommendations because everyone usually glows about their new car regardless of make or model. I wanted the whole picture for consideration. The bad news is as important (maybe more so) than the good.

The sad thing is that the Golf really is much more fun and exciting to drive than Hondas. Even with the "check engine" light glowing on in front of me all the time now. ;-) Who knows, maybe VW of America HQ will come through for me in the end but I have yet to see any evidence to date. I am supposed to hear from them soon.
    to produce a quality product. You had a lousy experience, and if VW of America hanles you badly, I can see that you might never want another VW. I was treated badly by Ford, and haven't been back in 15 years.

However, you have not gotten the response from VWoA yet. So, I see things like "I can not recommend a VW Golf to anyone. . . .Suffice it to say I will never purchase another VW product in my lifetime." and they seem to be more spiteful than reasonable. A Golf has been a problem. VW, as a whole, hasn't (yet.)

This statement is not essentially a vendetta: "In the past week I can take a little solice in the fact that two colleagues who were seriously considering VWs have decided to purchase other vehicles upon hearing of my problems. Obviously, any car maker can have a lemon. But VW reliability is a true sore spot per Consumer Reports. I had hoped with the New Golf it had improved but apparently not."

BTW, "VW reliability" has not been a "true sore spot" in CR since the introduction of the new models in 1999. As stated above, Golf has been average, Jetta spotty, and Passat good.
    Spite? A vendetta? Please, you are reaching and that is ridiculous. Excuse me for expecting VW to produce a good product and when they did not, commenting so. I have just stated the (condensed) facts as they are. People considering VWs have come to me and ask about my Golf experience as it is natural to seek out someone with a similar vehicle or brand when considering a purchase. I have told them. They decided that it was not worth the risk. Their decision. If you purchased a bad major appliance for thousands of dollars which required unusually frequent service even while still new would you recommend it to others? Or buy another one? That does not come close to spite or a vendetta. And no, it is not just a case of 1, 2, or 3 vehicles. I am sure someone out there had a wonderful Yugo too; I would not run out and buy one though. I would also look at the broader picture. As stated, Consumer Reports has clearly indicated disappointing reliability concerns with some VWs. I can vouch for that in spades.

Sorry I can't cheer for VW as some seemingly would wish. And I'd like to. This is a VW Golf posting board and I have posted my experiences for others to hear. Bad warts and all. YMMV. When I was considering the Golf I checked out as many comments as I could find, here and at other places such as the VW Vortex web site. And I specficially searched for negative comments, experiences and recommendations because everyone usually glows about their new car regardless of make or model. I wanted the whole picture for consideration. The bad news is as important (maybe more so) than the good.

The sad thing is that the Golf really is much more fun and exciting to drive than Hondas. Even with the "check engine" light glowing on in front of me all the time now. ;-) Who knows, maybe VW of America HQ will come through for me in the end but I have yet to see any evidence to date. I am supposed to hear from them soon.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Excellent reading above. I needed 2 cars as one was 13 years old and dead and the other is 14 and is a Dodge Omni....enough said. Golf was the first on my list, in the TDI variety. I loved how it drove, and the driver and front passenger seating is top notch. So is the small size and versatility, the excellent arm rest on the GLS, and the terrific standard safety equipment. Then I was swayed by CR and the reports of reliability issues, as well as the extra required maintenance on the diesel. I've owned a Dasher, a Rabbit diesel, and a Scirocco so I am not new to VW. For car number one, I bought the new Elantra GT hatch, loaded to the gills with ABS, traction control, moonroof, leather, full power, fog lights, alloys, 4 wheel discs, Michelins, etc., for 16K. Love it! Getting 33-37 on the highway with an automatic. Reliability and resale? We'll see. Safety issues? Yes, I've read the posts about the air bags and the seat track but structural integrity was excellent. So far, so good...the car is tight and quiet and build quality seems to be good. Car #2 has come down to an Echo or a Golf. I need a small car to fit into a tight garage spot and want high mpgs. Care to weigh in with some comments? Thanks.
    Actually, the reliability of the Echo should be hard to beat, but it can't be as much fun as the Golf. I am shy of the TDI too. It's a solid motor, and can be maintained to last a long time, but savings due to the good mileage will not overcome the added maintenance cost for the first 35k miles or so. I'm not likely to put that much on it in 4 years, so it makes little sense for me.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I would personally go for the Echo. It seems like a nice small car in a neat package, plus Toyota is more willing to discount their prices (I mean sell closer to invoice) than VW is. Also, Toyota's reliability reputation speaks for itself. I have 2 friends that have Echo automatic sedans, and both love them. Very reliable and great on gas. The Golf will not be as thrifty on gas as the Echo, but it has more panache and safety than the Echo does.
    Tend to agree, although I have seen calculations that say you will need to own a TDI for at least 100,000 miles to make up the difference in initial purchase price, mandatory use of synthetic oil, more frequent and costly timing belt changes, and other assorted maintenance items, etc. That aside, the Golf is a great package. Just wish they would build some Echos with ABS and side air bags...they list them as options in the brochures but there don't appear to be any in the Northeast region and trying to get an order placed in Japan can take as much as 6 months.
  • dbakalardbakalar Member Posts: 39
    Forenote... An ECHO??? But they're just so UGLY! (That's just my opinion anyway.....)

Anyway... Weatherdan, I totally feel where you're coming from. My check engine light likes to make itself known from time to time. And, as I'm thankful that I haven't experienced all the problems you have, I've still gotten very frustrated with my car. Not to the point where I'd swear off VW entirely though. My last experience with VW of America ticked me off to no end, and they've received a wonderfully nasty letter from me regarding their lack of concern for their customers, and the horrible service department at Stohlman VW in Tyson's Corner, VA. I've not received any type of response from VW, and don't expect to. During my last problem with the check engine light, it turned out to be a problem with my temperature sensor. I won't duplicate my words from previous postings, but will suffice to say that if you're WAITING to hear from VW, you'll have to keep on waiting. You'll doubtfully receive a call from them. They kept me waiting for three weeks before I finally gave in and called THEM back.
    Yes, it does sound like you got a bad Golf. If it were me, I doubt I would have been as patient and understanding as you... I'd consider another VW (this one is my second) even still though. Hopefully VW of America is able to satisfy you. Good luck. In dealing with those people, you're going to need it.
    Well they did not call me back (how annoying) so I called them again. They will likely offer me some sort of compensation. However, at this point I am not sure that their "compensation" will be any better than if I just trade in the car at any other car dealer. Especially since they said there will be a financial cost to me. Meanwhile I have spoken to a lawyer. There are a couple routes I can follow depending on the offer I receive Monday. I may be covered under our state's lemon law.

I have read other concerns about Stolman VW in Tysons. I am also in Virginia.
    "I have read other concerns about Stolman VW in Tysons. I am also in Virginia."

Yeah, they really really suck. Fairfax VW seems to be a bit better, but I took my GTI in there the other day and they gave me some BS answers. It's really hard to have a modified car worked on because they say your exhaust causes your seat to move or some crap like that. Grrr, anyways...

Let's hope VW can come through for you!

- Anthony
    i don't understand why there should be a financial cost to you... isn't the car still under warranty? doesn't vw realize that your particular car sounds like it's DEFINITELY a lemon? (based on the details of your earlier posting). VW of America IS totally annoying. And I didn't figure you'd receive a call from them. Everytime I was told that I'd get a call back, it just never happened. I would, however, advise them that you have been working with a lawyer... that might motivate them to actually DO something for you. It's a shame to see this happen to someone. I truly do still really enjoy my car, and the two annoyances that I've dealt with, as I feel that I shouldn't have had to go through it, still isn't enough to sour me on my Golf.
    Good luck, and remember to keep us updated!
    No, the warranty expired 4/17. But the car had already had an excessive amount of work done while under warranty. It has just become worse since then. The car only has about 19,000 miles on it. I am supposed to hear from VW tomorrow (Monday) so I will wait to consider whatever they offer. I won't commit to anything immediately. Meanwhile, I will probably have the "check engine" light investigated since I don't like the idea of driving around with it on for a full week. It could be a minor problem or another "electronic control module" shot. I have an extended warranty regardless. While test driving various cars last weekend with my girlfriend (her 165,000-mile Honda fatally blew a head gasket) it made me appreciate the Golf's handling all the more. It is fun to drive...when things are not breaking or malfunctioning.
    VW of America has offered me $1500 towards the purchase of a new VW. Obviously that means I'd end up paying several thousand dollars out of my pocket once the trade-in value of my Golf is considered . I am considering my options. Meanwhile, I will probably proceed to get the "check engine" light checked out.

weatherdan
    Sounds to me that they already are well aware that this car just isn't what it should be. They need to stand by their product, and ensure that you won't get shafted on your trade in value should you decide to trade-in for a new one.

P.S... did they actually call you, or did you have to contact them for an update? Just curious!
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    The biggest single reason for avoiding the Echo is safety. At just over 2000 lbs. it is a flyweight which will surely be destroyed in an accident with just about any other vehicle other than another Echo. The Golf is much heavier and is built with safety in mind. The Echo's mission is fuel efficiency, price, and somewhere lower down the priority scale, safety. This explains the hard to find ABS, etc., on the Echo.
    Sorry, but I have to majorly disagree with you on the Echo vs. Golf point. First, the Echo is just as safe as a Camry in crash tests. While I know it will fare not as well in the real world, there are alot of determining factors in accidents. Secondly, the Golf is not markedly heavy (about 500 or so lbs. more) than the Echo. It is a safer design though, but also the price is alot higher too.
    Golf weighs 2934 lbs. Echo weighs 2160 lbs. That is a big difference. The Golf comes standard with 6 airbags. Echo standard with 2. Golf has standard ABS and Echo is very difficult to even find one with ABS. Golf has 5 star crash test result (highest possible) from NHTSA and Echo has ratings of 4 star and 3 star. Toyota Camry better crash test results than Echo.
    Option the Echo as close as possible to Golf and the MSRP for the Echo is $14,875. Compared to MSRP for a Golf GL of $16,000 (estimated cost for 2002 GL 4 door) I will choose the Golf every time.
    The Echo I drove simply gave me the impression of an economy car and the Golf gave me the impression of a compact luxury car.
    The Toyota is more likely to have greater reliability, but I choose the fun and safety and comfort of VW.
    The "blue book" and edmunds.com trade-in values for my Golf are between $12,600 and $13,600. A comparable 2001 Golf GLS with luxory package, CD and auto transmission is probably around $18,500 I'm guessing. My sister, also a lawyer but not the one I contacted, also thinks VW is low-balling me with their offer.

Yes, they did call me and left a message on my answering machine at my office.
    You definitely need to talk to a lawyer. Maybe you should get VW to offer you a free extended warranty up to 100,000 miles. That would then cover all your problems. Also, get them to bump your money up to $2000. Get both and you will be in business.
    Yeah, the extended warranty would be great except that I already bought one when I started having problems before my original warranty expired. D'oh! I forgot to mention VW did offer to extend my warranty for another year but since I already have another 7 year/70,000 mile warranty it does not help. More important, the extended warranty does not address the root of the problem which is the car's need for frequent service.

Meanwhile re: check engine light, I have started noticing a distinct sulfur/rotten egg smell coming in through the dash vents once the engine heats up so I suspect there may be a problem with either the emission controls and/or the catalytic converter.
  • howachowac Member Posts: 52
    Weatherdan,
    I know how you must feel now. I was in the same situation. My wife's 2000 Golf GLS was also a lemon. We bought it new in June 2000 and it was officially purchased back by VW of America in January 2001. It had less than 4000 miles on it. Let me share some of the things that I learned throughout the whole ordeal first then I'll say a little more about our case.

Since you've already contacted a lawyer, I suppose you're probably familiar with the Lemon Laws in Virginia. (We live in California and I guess VW lemons are everywhere.) If you need more info, www.carlaws.com has quite of bit of useful stuff. My feel is that VW of A is trying to get away with selling you a lemon. Don't give them the opportunity to mess with you again! Let them pay for the inconvenience and emotional trauma that you endured. We contacted the Autoline of the Better Business Bureau and initiated the mediation process (www.dr.bbb.org/autoline.cfm or 800-955-5100). I highly recommend looking into this, as it is the most effective tool you have to fight against VW and it's free! You'll have to prepare some paperwork (records of repairs and other complaints, etc.) but it sure beats filing a lawsuit. Oh, we didn't even get to the point where we needed to contact a lawyer. What the BBB Autoline does is act as the mediator between the consumer and the manufacturer to help resolve the problems. If that turns out to be unsuccessful, you can then go to arbitration. I firmly believe that you will have a winning case and get your car officially "lemoned" without resorting to further legal actions beyond arbitration. In our case, the more we looked into the lemon laws, the more we realized that we had a good case against VW. Your case sounds even better than ours! Doing the research ourselves also gave us a sense of power (not that it'll solve your problems, but at least you'll gain some confidence). At the end, VW settled with us before we continued to arbitration and agreed to refund every penny of our money and re-purchase the car "out of goodwill," according to their offer letter. So technically, our car was not lemoned. Instead, VW did not admit any wrongdoing and can turn around and sell the car if they wanted to. But at least we were out of the misery. (I feel bad for whoever ends up buying the car we had, though.) Please do yourself a favor and look into the lemon laws if you haven't done so. That said, there are limitations and restrictions under the laws, so pay close attention to whether you meet all the requirements. If you do, then you should be in excellent shape to stage a comeback. Some lemon laws automatically consider a car a lemon if it's been in the dealer for warranty repairs more than a total of 30 days in the first 18 months of ownership. Don't let them offer you a one-year extension of the warranty (they tried to offer us the same thing), or pay you $1500 towards the purchase of a new VW. They should be responsible for your losses and you shouldn't pay or take a hit financially for their mistake.

In case you're interested, here's a condensed version of our VW Golf horrors that began 2 weeks after we bought it:
    Screeching sound from brakes when the brakes are NOT applied
    Brake lights stay on when the pedal is not depressed
    Cruise control inoperable
    Same brake light problem again after brake light switch was replaced the first time
    Immobilizer kicked in erroneously and car wouldn't start. (This turned out to be the dealer's fault when they replaced the engine control module to fix the cruise control.)
    Squeaking noises from the dash (numerous repair attempts)
    Cruise control failed again
    Brake light switch problem again (this time the lights won't come on so the automatic transmission cannot be shifted out of Park).
    Power mirror switch broke

For these repeating problems, we visited the dealer probably 10 times or more in the first 5 months. To add to the bad experience, the local dealer was absolutely horrible (ignorant and apathetic). We were just so glad and relieved that we got our money back. Now my wife drives a 2001 Honda Civic EX and we're both very happy with it. I have to admit that my wife and I both loved the Golf (when it was functioning properly). It was more fun to drive and had some neat features, but I'll not consider buying another VW product (Audi included). It's just not worth the risk and the trouble. I understand that every manufacturer will inevitably have a few lemons every now and then, but buying a VW (especially one that's not made in Germany) increases that chance by several orders of magnitude. Our Golf was assembled in Brazil (VIN number starts with a 9) and I really believe that the workmanship and quality control there are not as good as the German plants. Even though people say that all VW's plants are held to the same "stringent" quality standards, it is hard to doubt that Germany is a far better place to produce complex machinery than Brazil. You don't see Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus building their cars in developing countries. If all the plants had the same quality, then J.D. Powers and Associates wouldn't need to bother giving out quality awards to individual plants. Incidentally, all the award-winning plants are in Japan, Germany, or the U.S., NOT Brazil.

Anyway, enough said. Weatherdan, I hope you will stand up and fight for yourself and wish you the best luck!
    Wow! Thanks so much for the superb information. I am "digesting" it now. www.carlaws.com has excellent information too. I am concerned that I may not have met the notification requirement as my first official contact with VW (beyond the dealer obviously) would have been after the 18-month limit stipulated in the Virginia law. And that was via telephone. Of course I am not a lawyer. My warranty expired on 4/17/01. I will consider BBB Autoline. I noted on www.carlaws.com that, at least according to that attorney, "swaps" that occur when there has not been supposed proper notification often involve the dealer offering at least $2500. I was offered $1500. Hmmm! It was also interesting to read your repeated problems as I had my door lock malfunction supposedly "repaired" four separate times although it was after the inital 18 months (first occurence was 18 months and 1 week after, wouldn't ya know it?). But the rear seat seatbelt jam occurred repeated within the 18 month period and it certainly is a safety item! Again, thanks very much for your comments and valuble information. That was very generous of you and I sincerely appreciate it.
    For those of you who read the Golf forum and are scared away from VW I suggest you read the Honda Accord Problems in Maintenance and Repair Section. 1446 messages on items such as vibrating steering, failed transmissions (post 1433), moving seats, A/C problems, and etc.
    I currently have a Golf TDI (from Brazil) that is 100% problem free and I also owned an Accord a few years ago that was 100% problem free.
    If you have a VW that is a lemon then either get VW to replace it or repurchase it. Don't think that you are guaranteed to be lemon free by buying a Toyota or Honda.
    Some steps to avoid having a lemon.
    1. Buy from a dealer with a good service reputation. A dealer with bad service will create a lemon by being unable to correctly diagnose and repair a problem. If there is no good VW dealer in your area, don't get a VW.
    2. Do not buy a vehicle the first year of a new model.
    3. Do not let the service deptmartment have 10 attempts to fix the same problem. If they can't fix a problem on the second attempt then hold their feet to the fire and get VWoA involved.
    4. Be educated. My Nissan truck has a problem with carrier bearing that is extremely common, I discovered this problem by communicating with other owners on the internet. If you have a problem that is widespread then the manufacturer should have to fix it even if the car is out of warranty.
    Don't let one lemon sour your opinion on a manufacturer.
    I went to a gatering a few weeks ago where there were 20 plus VW owners, the majority of the owners were extremely happy, one of the owners had very frightening stories about dealership service experiences.
    Weatherdan,
    I'm glad that you found the information useful. At least my experience with a bad VW Golf helped another fellow consumer who fell victim to a lemon. We were lucky that we smelled something fishy and acted early enough to prevent further damage. I think you still have a great chance of winning the war.

Even though you might not meet all the requirements under Virginia's lemon laws, I still think you have an excellent chance if you go through BBB's Autoline. They will assign you an agent and a case number and you can provide them all the relevant information. I have a feeling that VW won't settle with you very easily during the first stage of mediation (they offered to extend our warranty and 1 month's loan payment as compensation). Eventually they offered to examine our car and attempt one last repair and if it failed, buy the car back. But just insist on having the car lemoned. It doesn't hurt to try! Take it to the next level and go to arbitration if you need to. It is still free and you should be able to manage it without a lawyer. Arbitration gives both sides (you and VW of A) the opportunity to present their case in front an independently selected "arbitrator" (sort of like a judge in a regular courtroom). The arbitrator is selected by BBB from a pool of ordinary citizens who do not have any ties to the automotive industry. This may or may not be an advantage to the consumer depending on how knowledgeable he or she is. But the arbitrator is usually fair and might approach the case from the consumer's stand point. It is important to go through the information package that the BBB Autoline will mail you and follow the steps. If I'm not mistaken, you do have the option to skip mediation and go straight to arbitration. It'll be up to you to decide whether it's worth the time and effort to try and communicate with VW through the Autoline and come to a resolution. I recommend giving it a try. VW might decide that it's not worth their effort to go to arbitration and settle with you. Of course, patience is required as the process often takes a few weeks (for the consumer to file a complaint and for the manufacturer to respond). If you decide to go directly to arbitration or if the mediation falls through, the important thing is to present your case based on all the facts and details as best as you can. You have the option of hiring a lawyer to accompany you to arbitration, but that might cost some money. Remember that you have a very strong case and you should take a firm stance from the beginning (mediation) that you will do whatever it takes to have this matter resolved to your satisfaction or you are prepared to take it to the next level. Try not to get angry with VW simply because they won't care and it won't do your case any good. The decision of the arbitrator is legally binding to the manufacturer but not the consumer. This means that if the arbitrator rules in your favor, VW has to comply with the decision. But if you lose the case, you won't lose anything and you can still pursue further legal actions. So you basically have nothing to lose by going with BBB Autoline. Don't take VW's crap and suffer more by accepting their $1500 and shelling out more money to buy another potential lemon from them. Fight for yourself! I have confidence in your case. Good luck!
    Well it was a great idea about the BBB Autoline. But according to the Golf owner's manual, the Autoline is available on a nationwide basis as long as the vehicle has been driven less than 24,000 miles (I'm okay there) *and* has not been in use for more than 2 years (I'm at 27 months!). Still it is a free call so I have nothing to lose upon inquiring I suppose. But I expect I will be barking up the wrong tree. Thanks again for the comments and suggestions. It is one of the best things a VW forum (actually any car forum) should do: provide good information when problems develop either with the car, the dealers or the company. It is a shame VW has not stepped up to the plate to either replace or repurchase the vehicle which has had obvious serious problems, despite the efforts by the dealer to fix one thing after the other.
    2000 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe. I had crazy problems with that POS. Went through the program, got offered a $400 settlement. Then I sold the car and went to pick up the check, and they (Honda) said they wouldn't anymore because I didn't own the car. First Honda and last Honda. Good luck with VW, let's hope you get taken care of.

- Anthony
    Weatherdan,
    Don't give up! I still recommend that you give BBB Autoline a call. Tell them what happened and see whether they will be able to help you. Despite the fact that you've already had the car for more than 2 years and 24,000 miles, the problems began and repeated well before now. Curiously, VW's new car warranty is only 2/24000, while most other manufacturers offer at least 3/36000. Even though VW has a 10-year powertrain warranty, it's the little things that can drive you crazy and sometimes affect the safety of a car. If BBB Autoline cannot offer any useful help, you still have other warranty laws to protect you. I think www.carlaws.com mentions something about that. Take a look, maybe you'll find some helpful info. Again, good luck to you!

In response to moparbad (great advice, by the way) and adg44, I know that Honda and Toyota (and other makes known for their reliability) also produce bad cars occasionally. Of course there is no guarantee that you'll always get a problem-free vehicle. But your chances will probably be better if you go with the more reputable brands. I didn't have anything against VW (and I still wonder how much we would have loved our Golf had it been more reliable), it's just that we were unfortunate to have encountered a lemon. Just like adg44, if I had bought a Honda (or even a Lexus, for that matter) and the car turned out to be a lemon, I'd tend to shy away from the brand in the future. It seems reasonable and natural after you experience the pain and hassle of dealing with a lemon. I hope people won't think that I'm deliberately putting VW down. I really hope that VW will get their act together and produce high-quality cars more consistently. Maybe I'll be persuaded to try another VW some time in the future.
    For the 2002 model year, all new Volkswagen vehicles will come standard with an increased four-year/50,000 mile (whichever occurs first) bumper-to-bumper warranty, up from two years/24,000 miles. The warranty covers wear-and-tear items and adjustments during the initial 12 months or 12,000 miles of ownership.

In addition, Volkswagen will offer a fully transferable limited powertrain warranty that covers five years or 60,000 miles (previously 10 years/100,000 miles, but transferable only from the original retail owner to a family member).

50,000 mile warranty is now better than Honda, GM, Nissan and Ford, etc..

The new warranty will help with fear of out of warranty costs, still it won't help with aggravation if you have a lemon or dealer problems.
    But the dealers suck and if have modded your car like me, it really does no good.

I am going in tomorrow for a clunk out of 1st and I'm positive that my third gear synchro is going bad.

- Anthony
    A couple weeks ago when my girlfriend was test driving a 2001 Beetle, I explicitly asked about the new 2002 warranrty. We were told by Alexandria VW in Virginia that the 2002s will come with a 3 yr warranty. Can't recall the mileage limit at the moment. Probably something like 40K or 50K. It is just this sort of dealer information inconsistency that drives a consumer away.
    That came straight from VW posted on VWvortex.
    I think the Golf has 8 air bags, not 6. There are 2 head curtain air bags for the front passengers and 2 for the rear, all mounted on the pillars. As to comparisons to the Echo, in all fairness, you should compare the cost of the TDI to the Echo to level out the mpgs. Gas Golfs are thirsty critters, and all but the base 2.0 drink the higher octane stuff. I am agonizing over Golf vs Echo for the second car I need. I just love the Elantra GT I bought for car #1, but I need something shorter to fit into a very tight garage spot in NYC. Golf, Echo, Rav-4, and Accent are among the only things that will fit. Golf is the best small package in my opinion but the simplicity and economy of the Echo, plus the Toyota build quality are hard to resist.
    There are no airbags for rear passengers in Golf. Not in the 2 door, not in 4 door. Where are you getting this information mpgman? There are two side airbags in seats, two front airbags and two side airbags in the pillars for a total of 6.
    In the comparison of Golf to Echo I personnally find no comparison to be made. I feel that the Echo is very basic transportation and a better comparison is the Corolla or Civic. The Prius offers excellent MPG, and the Civic HX offers excellent MPG with more refinement than the Echo.
    The choice of buying a VW is most often made on the driving experience, safety and comfort.
    Initial cost and total ownership cost will be higher for VW than equivalent Toyota or Honda.
    The front curtain airbags also protect the rear passengers, still there is a total of 6 airbags. My response in above post was misleading in saying there were no airbags for rear passengers as the front curtain airbags are for both the front and rear occupants.
    Could have sworn that the last time I was in a Golf (post Novemeber 00 production), there were 8 air bags. 2 front, 2 side, and 4 head curtain. There are 2 head curtain air bags in the front windshield "A" pillars, and 2 more in the "B" or "C"??? pillars that separate the front and rear windows. I am almost sure that the little oval tabs that say "airbag" were there. So if I am correct, that would make 8. BTW, I am not aware of any car manufacturer offering head curtain air bags that only protect the front seat occupants....Saturn, M-B, Volvo, etc.
    There are little oval tags, but the curtain airbags are one long bag on each side. So there are still 6 airbags in the Golf, which is two more than in most of it's competitors, and 4 more that are standard than in many of it's competitors.
    I stand corrected. Guess there are 4 oval head curtain air bags but only one continuous air bag per side. Also, the standard 4-wheel discs and ABS set VW apart too, especially from the "must take the hole in the roof" to get the safety (isn't that contradictory?)stuff crowd.
  • acalinacalin Member Posts: 1
    I have leased a VW Golf GTI 2001 ten months ago and ever since I
    have leased this car it has been in the shop for electrical repairs. At
    first the wiring for the speakers went wrong then a month later the
    check engine light came and the dealer said that the emission fuses went
    out. Anyway, that happened twice.
    The fourth time I had problems with it was the the driver's window which
    it didn't want to come up anymore and to mention that I have gotten all
    wet from the rain. A month later the same thing happened with the
    passenger's window. All these problems happened within 10 months from
    the purchase.
    I would like to mention that their customer service was also horrible.
    Also, it feels like I owe a Chevy Cavalier rather than Volkwagen turbocharged engine.

Very disappointed with VW quality.

Sincerely,
    Calin Popa
    Acalin,
    Unfortunately, it sounds like you got a lemon too! But the good news is that you're not alone and you do have some very useful tools to help you with dealing with the car and the manufacturer. Contact the Better Business Bureau's Autoline and get familiar with the lemon laws in your state. Please see my previous postings on this topic if you need more info. Good luck and keep us updated!
    I swore off the VWs after I got clobbered with electrical problem bills on my Dasher, Rabbit and Scirocco back in the 70s and 80s. Now just when I am ready to put my foot in the water again here come the electrical problems. Why can't they get it right after all these years?
    Do you really think the problem cars that are discussed here are the norm for VW Golf? I do not. Did you know that VW Golf for 2001 is recommended by Consumer Reports? It is.
    Quite a few problems that people have seem to be symptoms of poor dealer service. This can be cured by finding a different dealer or knowledgable independent mechanic.
    Sure there are lemons out there, this is true for almost any make.
    For 2002 there is going to be a 4 door GL model and now the warranty is 4 years bumper to bumper instead of two. Unfortunately the 1.8T Golf is no longer available.
    CR now no longer recommends the Jetta, based on surveys of current owners who have reported major issues with reliability. Since the Golf and the Jetta are basically the same under the skin, it is possible that if there were enough Golf responses (fewer Golfs compared to Jettas), Golf would no longer be recommended either. My point was that these types of electrical problems were a hallmark of VWs many years ago and it is disturbing to read about them now, even if the sample size is small. My own independent, unscientific poll of several tow truck operators cites VWs as being high on their list of towed cars for electrical issues. As to the warranty, it is interesting that when it comes to Hyundai's longer warranty, the automatic response is so what...who wants to be at the dealer all day, but when VW lengthens the warranty to obviously address customer concerns, that is a good thing.
    Yes, electrical problems. Do you know that Consumer Reports shows "many" electrical problems (full black circles) for 95 and 96 Golfs, a half-black circle for 99s and an empty circle ("average") for 00s? BTW, they show the same pattern for hardware. See p. 88 of the April 2000 issue. They even say on page 76 that "In our judgment, cars that are new should have very few problems. Even a (half red circle) may be cause for concern."

Only a few of the recent issues discussed here seem to relate to dealer problems at all. Most concern problems with the cars themselves that require excessive trips to the dealer for repairs. It is one thing to have a dealer have to repair the same thing several times before they get it right and another altogether to have to take a (new) car to the dealer over and over again for different items. The former is a bad dealer, the later a bad car. Big difference.

As for CU's recommendation, it gives recommendations when a car performs well in its tests and when their reader survey data indicate that reliability should be at least average. The Golf gets a "black" check, indicating average overall reliability. It is clear from the reliability charts that Golfs have a history of electrical and hardware problems. Actually all the VWs listed have the same problems to some extent.
    the '95 and '96 Golfs have so little in common with the current version that they should not even be considered in the discussion. Start with the '99 and look forward.
  • cochoncochon Member Posts: 1
    Moparbad there are 8 air bags in 2001 golfs. If you don't believe me drive down to your local dealer and look.