Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf

Comments

• header2header2 Member Posts: 10
    a. You should never have to break in a transmission, the salesman was blowing smoke.

b. an automatic selects the gears for the driving conditions if the engine starts straining it drops down a gear. In manual you have to keep an eye on the tachometer and know the engine rev limits. if the engine is doing 2000 rev in 5th and you step on the gas it's not going to do anything. You have to drop down into 4th or 3rd to get higher revs to get abit more power for acceleration
    It also depends on the engine, if is has a turbo or not, or if it's a diesel. I know it may sound complicated but a little research can save you heartache later on. If the salesman is pressuring you to buy the car tell him to forget it, he'll be following you out the door dropping the price.
    c. engines do need a break in period, read the handbook, if in doubt ask to read the hand book before you buy.
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    If you have this much uncertainty about the Golf, look at another vehicle. I'd get the manual because this is a heavy car with a relatively low powered engine. Plus the mileage numbers on the 2.0 auto are pathetic, bordering on what cars with twice the power get.
  • bluewolfbluewolf Member Posts: 101
    Tons of Jettas, but Golfs are scarce right now at local dealers. I'm interested in an '02 TDI Golf, anybody know when these will show up? Thanks.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    They are at dealers now. Dealer in my area has two GL 4 door TDI. Both red with black interior, one manual and one automatic. TDI is rare compared to the gas models and the Golf is scarce compared to Jetta and Beetle so if you want one the dealer in your area may need to locate it.
    I could really go for a 4 door GL Golf TDI. Had my Jetta WE in for service yesterday and not a single Golf on the lot except a black 2.0. The wife needs a new car and I think a Golf GL would be great, and I like the TDI for an all-around car.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    I thought the GL came only with two doors, GLS only with four doors (GLS includes upgraded upholstery and power windows, if I'm not mistaken). So basically you can only get a 2-door Golf (not to be confused with GTI) with manual windows and 4 door Golfs only with power windows, which I think sucks.....
    Anyone know if this has changed?
    VW now sells a 4 door GL, but with so few Golfs available and so many variations, the chances of finding one seem slim. Because it doesn't offer power windows, etc. will make it a rare find.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Edmunds' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2002? The Volkswagen Golf was chosen as the best Small Coupe/Hatchback Under $20,000. Happy Motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
    How could the Golf be chosen for "best hatchback" when the GTI is actually recommended? There is considerable difference in driving characteristics between a base GL with the 2.0 and a GTI with 17" wheels and 1.8T. The Golf GL is probably not the best hatchback and the GTI probably is the best, although finding one under $20k would be challenging.
  • fearthisfearthis Member Posts: 1
    I think this site is interesting and useful for all of us. It hase been only a few months since I ve bought my GTI so, I haven't experienced any problems so far. I'll keep on reading you folk's reviews and try to help you when possible.
    Take Care !!!! O Cakici
    and thanks for your notes. In addition to this discussion, you may also be interested in our ongoing VW GTI discussion. We look forward to hearing more about your ownership experience. Happy Motoring!

Revka
    Host
  • norwaygolfnorwaygolf Member Posts: 3
    For what it's worth--I have a 2000 golf 2.0 gls,5-speed. Aside from an American flag and a Grateful Dead sticker the car is completely stock. I bought the car new and put 32,000 miles on it in the first year. The car has been flawless, rock solid and just a joy to drive. I do a lot of long distance(Boston-Manhattan) and local,city driving. After a 12 hour drive today I felt compelled to post and let anyone who is weighing the purchase of a golf know that this really is a great car.
  • jskhojskho Member Posts: 107
    I am considering buying a 2002 GLS 2.0.
    I am wondering if you can share how much you paid for your Golf. I notice the TMV is only $100 below MSRP and I got carsdirect quote of about $200 below MSRP. Is it the norm? Is it the best one can do?
    (And fyi, I just deleted my previous message after reading your post more clearly.)

While you're waiting for feedback from VW Golf owners, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. As it has been explained to me, TMV may not necessarily reflect the absolute best price, but it helps you to negatiate a "fair price" based on the average price that other people have paid for a particular vehicle in your region. Considering those factors, it may be a matter of putting on your running shoes to find out what the absolute "best price" is in your local market. You can read more about how Edmunds' calculates their TMV here.

Btw, I've found that even if you can't budge much below msrp, there are often other ways you can still negotiate... with accessories and financing for example. Also, I believe VW is offering some special financing incentives on the 2002 Golf. Here's a direct link to Edmunds' Incentives and Rebates so you can see what's available in your area. Good luck and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka
    Host

• arnie328arnie328 Member Posts: 13
    Hi everyone,

I have a 1999 "New" Golf. I love it. I've been pretty happy with the service at my dealership up til now. For my 50K service I was told I need a new Air Flow Meter. Of course it's out of warranty and cost me $350 plus labor... ouch!

Normally I feel pretty good after a service, but this time I feel like I was screwed. The car was working fine.

Anyone ever had trouble with this Air Flow Meter. (Also called an Air Flow Sensor)

Was I a fool to pay for this?????

Thanks in advance
    Arnie
    arnie5@mindspring.com
    The Mass Air Flow or MAF sensor and power window regulators are two components that have very high failure rates and are known problems with 1999-2001 VW cars. The actual cost on the MAF is under $200 and labor it takes less than 15 minutes to replace the MAF (more like 5 minutes).
    VWoA has compensated many owners of cars out of warranty for the total or a portion of the cost for repair of MAFs. Contact VWoA both by phone and in writing and request that they cover all or a portion of the cost for this repair. It is a well known defect.
    There are a couple of TSBs on MAF but I do not have access to them as VW now charges for TSBs and they used to be available on internet.
    Thanks for the info. What's a TSB?
    Technical Service Bulletin is information from manufacturer to dealer. It generally involves solutions to mechanical problems but can cover many other areas as well.
    http://www.alldata.com/TSB/62/99621184.html
    Read more about Technical Service Bulletins in this Edmunds' article: Recalls, Technical Service Bulletins, and Other Good Stuff.

To everyone- Also, with Edmund's new Maintenance Guide you can look for TSB's and recalls for just about any vehicle from 1990 to present. Hope this is helpful. And now back to the subject of the VW Golf. Happy Motoring!

Revka
    Host

• vikdvikd Member Posts: 187
    You're just full of info...thanks for the input and steady presence here.
    You're welcome! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Thank you all so much for the info. I've been poking around the TSB and there seems to be one with this description:

SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P0411 - SECONDARY AIR SYSTEM INCORRECT FLOW DETECTED - STORED IN MEMORY. *TT

Do you think this means that is just an "error light" and the sensor was really fine????

I'm going to contact VWoA tomorrow. Any suggestions on how to go about talking to them? I thought I'd start with the phone number for "Customer Care."

Thank you ALL again so much! I feel have a support group behind me as I make my calls.

Arnie
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Love the Golf package in 4 doors, and preferably the GLS to get the armrest which costs almost as much as the GLS package if you have the dealer install one on a GL. Not happy with the mpgs with the gas engine though and don't want to pay up for higher grade fuel. Drove both the stick and auto diesels and was disappointed that I could hear the engine so clearly. I thought they were a lot quieter these days. Anyone out there with experience with the auto TDI? I thought it a bit jumpy off the line, which could be disconcerting in heavy stop and go traffic. How are the mpgs with the TDI auto? Thanks.
  • jskhojskho Member Posts: 107
    What do you mean by higher grade fuel?
    MPG is average 43-44 in 60% highway and 40% city driving. My mileage is higher than average and the range is between 35-45 for other owners.
    The auto is quick from 0-40 (better than 5 speed IMHO) and then from 40 and up the 5 speed has the advantage. The throttle is drive by wire and once you get used to it the TDI is great in stop and go traffic. Lots of torque.
    As far as noise it is most noticable at idle and at highway speeds I can not tell I am driving a diesel. Could even be quieter than gas motor.
    Initial cost is higher for the diesel but if you keep the car for a significant amount of time the cost is recouped and more. For 2002 the timing belt change interval is 80,000 miles compared to 40,000 for auto and 60,000 for manual on the 2001's. This eliminates a significant cost that was previously a negative for choosing an auto trans TDI. The timing belt is an improved part for 2002 TDI's and 2001 TDI's with engine numbers ALH 500,000 and up.
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    When I got the bad MAF readings, the car was running too rich.

When I scanned the car with the VAG tool, it said "bank 1 error (some number) system too rich". When I would reve the engine, the car would backfire and there was also major hesitation.

One more thing, the problem with bad MAFs is that the sensor doesn't read the correct amount of air volume, thus it sends the wrong reading to the chip, and the chip determines how much fuel to send into the engine. In my case, the MAF was reading too much air and the chip was compensating by sending a lot of fuel, which caused my backfires and is also the reason why smoke was coming out of my exhaust.

Phew. Hope that helped! Be sure not to drive around too long on a bad MAF, as with backfiring you are wearing your catalytic converter pretty badly!

- Anthony
    Moparbad---Thanks for the great news on the 02 TDI auto TB interval. Must admit, that kept me away from the TDI intially.

NorwayGolf---What kind of highway mpgs are you getting and what has your oil consumption been like? I heard that the 2.0 is an oil burner? True or false?

Anyone get a price on the 02 extended warranties now that the base warranty has changed?

Also, when is the next Golf redesign coming?

JSKHO---As to the "upgrade fuel"...I mean higher octane for the turbo.

Thanks all.
    In response to your statement of "higher octane for the turbo" I am guessing that you mean the 1.8T in the Golf. The 1.8T is available in GTI but no longer is available in Golf for 2002.

Expect a redesign on the MK4 platform (current Golf) in 2005. The new Golf will appear in Germany in 2003 and in the past the US has received new designs 2 years after Europe. Also remember that all Golf, Jetta and New Beetle for US market are made in either Brazil or Mexico. Except for the Jetta Wagon which is made in Germany. Very easy for VW to continue the current design in North America and have new design in Europe.
    here is a quote from a vw owner who had a bad MAF

I just called and spoke to VWoA about the bad MAF on my 99.5 Golf. The dealership originally told me a new one is $350 plus installation. The VWoA rep. gave me a 'ticket' number, told me I would be contacted in the next 24 hours... FIVE minutes later, another rep. calls back to tell me that they will take care of 100% parts and labor.... even told me who to speak with at my local dealership. I have an appointment for TOMORROW morning to get it replaced!!! Now THAT is service my friends
    I highly suggest anyone with a bad MAF on his or her MKIV, call 1.800.822.8987 and get it taken care of ASAP.... it sounds like there may be a recall on these soon.

end quote
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    I see that you read vortex... what's your user name on there?

VWoA is coming around on the MAFs, they seem to be replacing them oustide of warranty. Lots of posts in my forum about that.

- Anthony
  • norwaygolfnorwaygolf Member Posts: 3
    I have not done the numbers to calculate the gas milage but I can tell you this - I use about one full tank of fuel from Lynnfield, Ma.(15 minutes north of Boston)to midtown Manhattan and back-averaging 70 mph on the highway. I have also read about the 2.0 being an oil burner but that has not been my experience. At 33,000 miles I have only had to add a grand total of 1qt of oil in between getting regular oil changes.
    Hope this has been helpful to you.
  • jhen1313jhen1313 Member Posts: 1
    i just wanted to thank you for this site because it will save me alot of money! my check engine light came on in my 2000 vw golf gls at 38,000mi. the dealer checked it and said nothing read on the computer. then i had a k&n air filter installed by them at 40,000 mi tune up. by 43,000 mi the engine light came on again and when i called they said probably nothing to worry about, so i waited till 45,800 mi and when i went in for oil change was charged $65.00 to see why light came on. not so amazing, my friends 2000 vw jetta gls was having the same exact issues but no k&n filter!? so she paid the $65.00 and we both waited for the calls from the different dealers...hers was a MAF and 02 sensor for a total of $800. but they were "willing" to split the cost! mine was the MAF only and it would be $400. and 1 hr labor and they blamed it on the k&n that they installed! i checked with k&n and they would refund me but explained that vw is blaming them for a bad part that really should be recalled. so my friend called vw and then a few hours later the dealer called and said to pick up the car and there was no charge for anything. i went to get my car that same night from my dealer and no such luck. they insist it is the k&n and i am now beginning the emails thru the chain of command at vw and then off to the better business bureau and perhaps nhsa for a desparately needed recall. i will keep you updated and for anyone reading print all these emails out and take to your dealer. get it fixed for free and if not complain, complain, complain!
    Thanks all for the responses on the Golf. I intend to see what availability is like at local dealers. Is registering a TDI in NY as a new car still a problem or are they letting a limited amount through?
    There is not now, nor has there been in the past a problem registering a TDI in New York (or CA). Sales of TDI are limited in NY (and CA too) by VW due to corporate emissions standards that affect VW not the consumer. I even posted a response (a long time ago) from NY DMV that confirmed that there is no restriction in registering a TDI in NY. http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/nytest.htm

Diesels are exempt from testing in New York.

Even the VW dealers have lied and said that TDI can not be registered.

For the last time, there is no limit to registrations, the limits are how many TDI are sold by dealers in NY.
    I forgot to mention that all VW TDI sold in North America meet Tier 1 emissions standards and are 50 state certified for emissions. The problem with NY and CA is "fleet average emissions". This affects how many sold by VW in NY and CA but it does NOT affect registering a TDI in NY or CA. If you can find a TDI and buy it, you can register it in NY and CA.

message to mpgman- I respect your opinion in several areas (I changed my mind about Hyundai Elantra GT) but I think you are getting bad information from the VW dealers (if this is where you are getting the info.). I do not think VW dealers are maliciously misdirecting customers but likely are ignorant or uncaring of the facts. Then again some dealers are excellent but my experience has found them few and far in between in the case of VW.
    As a former owner of a Rabbit Diesel, darn proud of once squeezing 66 mpgs on a highway trip with a 4 speed back then no less, I remain convinced that the Golf is the best small hatchback package. VW dealers unanimously gave me the NY business...in VA, CT and in NJ. NJ and CT dealers told me that VW forbade them from selling TDIs to people living in NY, under penalty of not sending them any more TDIs or lifting the franchise. VA dealers told me that the only way to register a TDI in NY was to register it in VA first (which I could do being military) and then bring it into NY as a used car. NY DMV told me the same story on a number of occasions. Register it out of state legally, drive it 7500 miles and bring it into NY. Just reporting what I was told from calling Albany, and from speaking to NYC DMV who claimed to be quoting me from the releases they were given. Now I understand that VW is selling a limited number in NY to stay within fleet emissions standards and that NY waives the emissions test on inspection, which they always did dating back to my Rabbit. Now I am really ticked that I let a silver automatic GLS with no hole in the roof slip through my fingers a few months ago that I had located in VA Beach. I need a second car and the TDI is in the running, although I continue to agonize over stick vs auto.

As to the Elantra, I am in for my 15,000 mile servicing, which the dealer threw in as part of the deal. I mentioned that I had noticed some oil on the garage floor. They called and told me a CV joint needed replacement. They are replacing both of them and aligning the front end under warranty. I had rented a car to have wheels for the day. The parts had to be overnighted. The dealer told me to keep the rental for another day and give them the rental bill for both days. Other than being annoyed about the CV joint, can't argue with the service. Otherwise, the car is great.
    Turned out to be a bad front left axle seal. Dealer fixed it, but needed the car overnight. Gave me a free 2 day rental. Also installed a new fuel sending unit so the gauge now reads full. Dealer service is great so far.
  • car_fevercar_fever Member Posts: 9
    just want to ask if in-dash CD player standard on the 02' Golf? and for the owners, do the "symbols" that are placed beside the air-vents illuminate like those on the Jettas? Thanks.
    CD is standard on the GLS and the GL comes with last years radio. Last years radio is the AM/FM Cassette and it is pre-wired for cd changer in the hatch area. Will accept VW changer or Panasonic CX-DP610. The Panasonic is $170-$250 plus $20-$50 for adapter and $12 for brackets from VW dealer. The VW changer and Panasonic are virtually identical.

No the vent symbols do not illuminate. Is it imortant to have them illuminate?
  • daniel416daniel416 Member Posts: 1
    Hello:

I am considering purchasing a chip for my 99 Golf 2.0. Does anyone know which is better the Neuspeed or Autothority? Thanks
  • car_fevercar_fever Member Posts: 9
    thanks for your info, moparbad. but I have one more question about the new CD/Cassette system. Seems to me the new system is pretty big in terms of size (especially the screen). Do you know if VW puts any special features/functions in it? Is the screen color green this year?
  • emt_jessemt_jess Member Posts: 3
    Hello! I was hoping for a little feedback from you all- I just bought a 2000 Golf GLS today (5-speed, moonroof, cd changer, power everything, etc.) and was wondering if there's anything I need to know before the deal goes through all the way! The car is beautiful, I really like it, so I'm hoping I will have good luck with it! If anyone has any thoughts I would love to read them! Hope everyone has a nice Thanksgiving!
    Nothing really to tell you before the deal goes thru, other than congratulations and welcome to the VW family! These are wonderful cars and they really are a joy to own!
  • emt_jessemt_jess Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your response Bluewolf. I will be picking the car up tomorrow and I absolutely cannot wait. Incidentally, do you know when the balance of the factory warranty will run out (the car has 13000 miles on it)?
    In addition to the feedback here, you may also want to glance through this Edmunds' 6 part series on How to Buy A Used Car, by Philip Reed.

In particular, you may find some helpful information in Part 6: Closing the deal. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Revka
    Host
  • nori10nori10 Member Posts: 24
    I have a GTI and I want a Cd-changer for my monsoon, as moparbad #548 posted the Panasonic CX-DP610. ($170-$250) plus ($20-$50 for adapter) is basically the OEM for VW. My questions is does it need to be re-programmed at the dealer to be able to work? or is this not needed???
    Also I have looked all around for for a cheap price.. and cheapest is $200 for the changer and $75 for the adapter! if anyone knows of a site or store that is cheaper please let me know-!
    Thanks alot :)
    Does the changer need to be reprogrammed? The instructions indicated that the battery needed to be disconnected during the install and that recoding the radio may be required. I did not disconnect the battery and when I started the car everything worked. What the recoding is referring to is entering the radio code which comes with the owners manual when the car is new. If cd changer does not work properly then it is possible that a trip to dealer may be required and they usually charge 1 hour labor for this 5 minute procedure to program radio.
    Your car is under warranty until either 2 years or 24k miles. VW bumped the warranty up to 4 years for '02 which is really nice, but owners of pre '02s have to hope we got a good VW and not the lemons we sometimes hear about. Best of luck!
  • nori10nori10 Member Posts: 24
    Thanks so much for the info! I am trying my luck and ordered the changer from refurbdepot.com, I hope everything goes well :)
  • pocmonsterpocmonster Member Posts: 15
    How well does the engine work? Seems relatively inadquate compared to Ford's ZX3 Zetec engine, so I'm wondering what real world experiences are like. What about mpg? Anyone have any suggestions on the Golf vs. Focus?