Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf

Comments

• carl125carl125 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone purchased a Golf the Drivers Option program ?

Also, what mileage are people getting with a 2.0L /Auto drivetrain
    ?
    thanks
  • peacefulpeaceful Member Posts: 6
    Is this possible? Leather was not an option & I'd love to have it, the lint my black cloth seats collect is driving me crazy! I called the dealer where I picked up my Golf and they said it would cost me $4,500.00!!!! What? I've heard about leatherseats.com and they say their covers are, "side airbags and heated seats and folding rear bench COMPATIBLE" but my VW dealer said that would void the warrantee. What am I supposed to believe? Thank you for your much needed help!
  • peacefulpeaceful Member Posts: 6
    Moparbad, you're the best! Thanks! Why would you never want leather again? Do you think installing leather would affect my warrantee? Maybe I'll think of a way to prevent the lint from accumulating...thanks again!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Someone asked about a Monsoon radio in the 2002 model Golf. I have a 2002 Jetta with the Monsoon, so it's probably the same. The screen is blue, and pretty big. Still doesn't light up unless the headlights are on, but that's cool. Shows radio station selection all the time, plus "CD-IN" indicator when CD is in, and "CD-PLAY" when it plays, as well as the "counter" for the song playing, and the track number. It also has speed compensating volume, which you program by holding the "Dolby" button until you hear a beep, then turning the "scan" button until you see the count go up on the radio face. Lock in by hitting the "Dolby" button again. And mine has both cassette and CD players, a 2002 built 9/01. Great radio!
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. Mainly personal preference. I wish the GLS had the cloth of the GL. As far as warranty I can only think that seat heater and side airbags could possibly be affected.
    I wouldn't think I would like leather seats either. The Jetta I picked came with them, and I liked it because it added lumbar support to the seats in the front. I love the smell of it in the car, and the seat heaters warm up very quickly in freezing (30 or so degrees). You turn that sucker on "5", and you almost cook yourself. :) Also, leather is alot easier to clean up with marks (like footprints on the backs of the front seats from little kids in the back). But I am not wishing for the hot summer though. That's the only thing I am not going to like about it probably. :(
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    I've never owned a turbodiesel engine car before. I' looking at the auto TDI turbodiesel Golf GLS (4door) 2002MY. What are some maintenence issues that are require for turbodiesel engines. I seen that the timing belt has been change to 80,000 miles (as opposed to 40,000 for auto $ 60,000 for manual--correct?). That's good as that was one of the things causing me reservations. How about oil changes? Synthetic require for diesel engine? What about the oil for the turbocharger? Just FYI, I put on 25K/year. I like to keep my cars a long time, minimum of 8yrs 200,000 miles. Can the turbodiesel handle this??? I currently own a '94 Toyota Paseo 5spd which has 176,500 miles that has been very reliabe. How is the reliability issue with VW Golf? Will I be disappointed from the reliability issue as compared to my Toyota?? I've heard that VW are more expensive to maintain and repair than typical, is this true? IF so how much more are we talking?? Anyone own(ed) a Toyota who can compare as reference??? Thank you for any input.

Leo
    You can find all the answers to your questions at www.tdiclub.com.
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    Thank you for the website. I'll definitely take a look at it.

Leo
  • toto007toto007 Member Posts: 10
    I am glad to see that I am not the only one having the problems with :

1. Oil level running (very )low ONLY after 2000 miles .
    2. Engine light ON, this is the 2nd time :Last time the determination was a bad O2 sensor.

Now I have noticed that these 2 problems seem to be related closely :The Engine light was ON after I noticed a few weeks before that the oil level was low.
    Also one of the consequence from this Alarming problem is the gas mileage was much worse :from 31 mpg to less than 23mpg.
    I had this car a bit less than 2year,so I expect that VW dealers will show some professionalism in fixing this for FREE like the 1st time and also for GOOD: I saw that some of you have reported that VW is making the recall for the Air Flow Meter .

Please any one more knowledgeable on automotive issues advise and correct me if I am missing anything.

PS:

One of my colleagues had the same problem with his 99 Golf .
    I had a 91 Civic for 7 years , drove it over 120 K miles : I never had a single minor problem with the Honda Civic!

This Site has been very helpful.
  • cadriencadrien Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2001 Golf GLS 1.8T that has what I consider to be serious problems. the drivers door leaks AND the body creaks loudly. When I accelerate from a stop I can hear what sounds to be the body bending. then as I apply the breaks, the same sound. The noise seems to come from around the drivers door. I am wondering if anyone has had thsi problem. THis car has nevver been hit or wrecked in any way. The body should be straight. Thoughts?
  • btp3btp3 Member Posts: 4
    pocmon -i have a 2 litre golf gl. it has plenty of torque around town, but it can feel a little heavy on the freeway. i get around 30 mpg composite. the automatic tranny is a piece of junk, get the 5 speed. it is not as nice a car to drive as the focus, but only a complete tard would buy a ford. people say their mileage in the focus is much lower than ford claims. they aren't very reliable, either.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    I've heard from the Vortex that it's a step down from 2001 in terms of sound quality. Heck I heard Monsoon doesn't make the 2002 Head unit. What are your thoughts?
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    Even in 2001. The 2002 is the double din head unit though - I haven't had the chance to compare the two though.

- Anthony
  • stear_n_wielstear_n_wiel Member Posts: 3
    Pocmonster:
    I have a '95 VW GL 2.0 L w/ 5spd manual. I live in Colorado. When I go home it's 400 miles to the southwest corner of the state, over about 6 mountain passes. I went home last summer and easily climbed these passes at 60mph in 4th gear all the while with the AC on. I averaged 39 miles per gallon. Can you believe it? My car has about 53,000 miles on it. I'm a firm believer in high tech oils and filters. I typically run Castrol Syntec Blend but now have a fully synthetic in the engine.

I looked at a Ford Focus. I didn't like the visibility out the windshield or the ergonomical features inside. Looks like they are just appealing to stylist enthusiasts on the exterior.

One thing about the VW Golf is the crazy exhaust. Whoever figured out that one was an absolute buffoon. With two 90 deg turns + 2 catalytic converters to get out the back, it's a setup for rust and expensive replacements like $475.00 cost, and that doesn't include the front most converter.

Anybody found an exhaust that doesn't rust, doesn't sound like a lawnmower going down the street and adds a little performance for under $900.00? I don't want a Neuspeed unless it's quiet.
  • btp3btp3 Member Posts: 4
    pocmon & stear-n-weil:

the '95 golf was several hundred lbs. lighter than the current. it was much faster and the mileage was a little better. the 02 will be safer of course. it's a good buy, just get the lightest model you can and the manual transmission.
  • socal007socal007 Member Posts: 23
    We've had current platform since 99 I believe. Does anyone know when the next change is arriving ?? 2003 ????
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    2003. Should finally have independent rear suspension if I remember the reports correctly.
    Next platform is scheduled to be introduced in 2003 so it should be in production and available in North America in 2004 or 2005.

Here is one article http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4528&sid=178&n=156

The US typically receives new models 1 to 2 years after they are available in Europe when it comes to VW.

• vlasovvlasov Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Golf GLS that has the same serious problems. driver door leaks and creaks loudly when moving. Also as cadrien when i accelerate from a stop I can hear what sounds to be the body bending. As I apply the breaks, the same sound. The noise seems to come from around the drivers door. I was asking my dealer if they would test drive it and locate
    the source of that noise. They confirmed with leaking but never with noise. I was asking to
    repeat the test, but got no attention. Anyone got any idea?
  • header2header2 Member Posts: 10
    I own a 2002 GTi, I have noticed creaking around the doors lately and was going to ask the dealer about it. It might just be the door latch needs adjustment.
    I read about this on the Jetta sedan forum. Get something called Gummi-Phledge from a BMW dealer (it's less than $10 I heard) and put it on the weatherstripping. I heard it works, but never tried it myself on my 2002 Jetta yet. I have creaking doors too, when I hit large bumps.
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    and spray it on a paper towel and rub it onto the weather stripping. It will help the creaks. Honestly, after time the weather stripping will wear down and you won't have the creaks anymore. DO NO LET THE DEALER ADJUST YOUR STRIKER PLATE - THE DOOR WILL NEVER LATCH THE SAME AGAIN!!!

I learned the hard way... :)
  • iamacatiamacat Member Posts: 13
    I'm surprised that edmunds.com doesn't have an Owners' Club for the VW Golf. Does anyone know why? Wouldn't you like one?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    All it takes is asking. If there are a few participants here that would like us to start one up..., please let me know. Happy Motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
    Maybe because the car is so much like the Jetta, it would be a step in the same direction. Also, the Jetta Owner's Club is not that popular either.
  • cobi1cobi1 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to see an Owner's Club for VW GOLF. I am trying to wait "patiently" for delivery of my 2002 VW GOLF GLS TDI. It arrived in the port of Boston at the very end of December and has not arrived at the dealership in CT yet. Yesterday the dealer received the stock #. I am hoping to have it delivered to me by the end of January.

There might be a further delay because I added a rear spoiler, splash guards and sun roof deflector. My dealership has these items added at the port and they will have a full new car warranty on them.
    and congratulations on your purchase! I look forward to hearing all about it.... ;-)

To Everyone- I've forwarded your recent messages here expressing interest in a VW Golf Owners' Club... to the Karen (Owner's Club Host). At the very least, we can see about linking this discussion to that area. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The current VW Jetta Owners has been changed to simply Volkswagen Owners. This way all VW models (and owners) are now included in the Town Hall clubs.

Please drop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members.

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • rlsconradrlsconrad Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 86 VW Golf (woo hoo!!), and during the pre-buy inspection, the garage said I needed control arm bushings. When I asked if it could wait for a while, or if it was a safety item that had to be done a.s.a.p., I didn't feel like I got a straight answer. What's your opinion -- if there's wear, is it critical to replace right away? Thanks,

RLSCCONRAD@YAHOO.COM
    You may also get some helpful feedback to your question in this Auto 101 discussion. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks that frequent that discussion... and respond to vehicle questions/problems of all types. Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your message. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Yes, I failed already also. Many of the pivot points of the suspesion will have bushings. The OE rubber deteriorates over time. After full deterioration, the resulting handling is less stability (can make driving dangerous).

My best suggestion is replace all of the suspension bushings at the same time.
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    Hey guys, maybe I can get the answer here. Edmunds says the Golf is made in Mexico--I assume along side its Jetta twin. The Jetta board says the Golf is made in Brazil and has higher quality because of that. I kind of agree with them becuse for 1999 and 2000, Consumer Reports found the Golf to have fewer problems than the Jetta. They recommended the Golf but not the Jetta those years. The Jetta is up in quality now and is recommended this year, BTW. What is the VIN designation for Brazil and Mexico? Does anyone know? Thanks for your help.
    Edmund's is full of it. Golf is made in Brazil. Production was just moved there not long ago from Germany.
    TDI GLS with Lux & Cold Weather Package. Can't wait for the car to arrive.
  • bluewolfbluewolf Member Posts: 101
    TDIs are great engines, and really hard to find in a Golf. Enjoy your car.

-Bluewolf (knows the joy of a new VW in the garage!)
    Golf and GTI since the second half of 2001 are produced for the US and Canada markets only in Brazil. Golf and GTI are not manufactured in Mexico and the Golf/GTI manufactured in Germany are NOT exported to the US or Canada.
  • piscesdivapiscesdiva Member Posts: 5
    I have researched cars so much, I am now blue in the face! Finally I decide on a VW Golf GLS. I just have a couple questions I hope someone can answer.

1. What's the difference between the regular and the TDI? Can the TDI ONLY use diesel fuel or is there a choice between it?

2. Can you all tell me what's the ONE thing that made you choose your Golf and what's the ONE thing that kept you kind of between two cars (i.e. I'm trapped between a Golf and a Jetta).

3. This will be my first car (besides a used Olds) and I plan on leasing...Is anyone else leasing their Golf? Any pointers (I've read all the stuff on this site over and over and over).

I guess you can tell I'm pretty anxious. Any and all information you can give me will be greatly appreciated!
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    The TDI is a diesel. Get a Golf if you want a hatchback with the ability to fit large bulky objects in the car. Get a Jetta if you want a more conventional sedan with a real trunk. Jettas can be bought with a greater choice of engines and with more options when compared to 4 door Golfs. Jettas sell better here, Golfs sell better in Europe. Golfs are also a bit shorter in length. Golf suspensions might be a bit firmer than the Jettas, which have allegedly been tuned for the American driver. I can't swear to that one though....just what I have heard.
    1. TDI is diesel only. 50 mpg highway and it's refinement (thougb slightly louder than the 2.0L motor).

2. Hatchback utility

3. I'm buying (financing). Leasing makes some sense if you don't drive your car much, or intend to get a new car in a few years.
    Why do you want to lease? If it's for the lower payment, buy a lower priced car. Most people lease so they can drive a car they could not otherwise afford. It is true, however, that there are some people who only drive 10,000 miles a year and have to get a new car every three years. If that is you, then leasing is a great idea, good job! If that is not you, then you are wasting money. Finance your new Golf for a little more a month--you will have equity you can use towards trading in about 3 years, or will have an asset in 5 years. Leasing leaves you with zero. If it's a price thing, check out the Elantra GT. Also a hatch, it has developed a very devoted following in just its first year. Check their thread out. Good luck to you either way you go!
  • piscesdivapiscesdiva Member Posts: 5
    Thank you all...I've thought and thought and thought and I think I'd be better off buying an Elantra GLS or GT. I've been researching them and they have a solid performance, from what I can tell, for the price. Since it's my first vehicle, I'll go easy and have easier payments! Thanks everyone for your opinions and help! Thank you!
    Get what makes you happy--it's too much money to do otherwise.
    See #456 in the GTI thread.
    No more Matchstick Red (GTI); new color: Platinum Grey (GTI)
    Standard cold-weather package for all GTIs and Golfs except Golf GL
    Standard side-curtain airbag protection (all GTIs)
    No more red cloth and grey leather (GTI)
    No more VR6 technology package (rain-sensor wipers, auto climate control, auto-dimming rearview mirror) (GTI)
    Four-door Golf GL available in Black, Tornado Red, Indigo Blue, Reflex Silver, Mojave Beige and Blue Anthracite
    No more grey interiors (includes cloth, leatherette) (Golf)
  • jskhojskho Member Posts: 107
    Is that true? Will it be a no cost option?
  • sunrupsunrup Member Posts: 7
    I am considering the Jetta/Golf TDI and have not found one test drive report on them. I am specifically looking for a test drive on the TDI's, I have found numerous reports on the gas engine models. Can someone point me in the right direction. DO any of you out there own a TDI, can you share your experiences?

Thanks
    More than you ever wanted to know about a TDI at www.tdiclub.com. I own a TDI, what do you want to know?
    What's you're handle on TDIclub.com?

tan
    I Eat Rice
  • bluewolfbluewolf Member Posts: 101
    I have a TDI Jetta, love it! What do you want to know?