Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf

Comments

• alfoxalfox Member Posts: 708
    He's cross-shopping a GC and a Golf? He drives a Wrangler at 80-90 mph every day?

Get the GC - He'd hate the Golf, and the capabilities that make it what it is would be wasted on him anyway.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    TDI Golf will get 45-50 mpg and can go 80-100 mph all day long without any trouble. It will go over 700 miles per tank of fuel, has good residual value, and with a set of snow tires will get around very well in on-road snowy conditions.
    I can't imagine having to commute 40 miles each way in a Wrangler as the Wrangler is a terrible commuting vehicle. Fantastic as an off road vehicle, but uncomfortable, poor mileage, poor on road handling on road. Do yourself a favor and at least take a look at Golf/Jetta TDI.
    If it were me, I'd buy the Golf too. It's by far the more practical car for that use. In fact, I'm shopping a TDI now.

However anyone who would drive a Wrangler 80-90 mph every day, and would consider a Golf and a GC for the same use, is unlikely to discern the qualities that make the Golf superior to either. And it won't go off road. ;^)

(I should have put the smiley on my first post, I guess. /;^) )
  • toto007toto007 Member Posts: 10
    Japet and all,

Could you guys suggest which "technical " websites to check out to learn where and how to replace a temperature sensor or O2 sensor on the Golf 2000 GLS ... I am more like an electronic person than automotive guru . However I feel this is pretty much the kind of things I can replace myself rather bringing it to a dealer shop.

Thanks,
    toto
  • japetjapet Member Posts: 5
    I don't think we are allowed to name outside sites but try searching for TDI clubs.

As the GC vs Golf I would rather get hit by the golf than the GC.
  • trlykatrlyka Member Posts: 82
    No, he's not cross shopping anything yet. I say he needs a good-non-boring commuter and he keeps thinking 4WD. He has about 5 more payments to go on the Jeep and then he will look for something else.

Neither of us really like Honda or Toyota and I think the VW is the nicest dollar for dollar.

He does go fast some of the time and more of the time if he is late. My point in mentioning that was to get an idea of how the Golf handles high speeds and long trips. He doesn't really baby his Jeep, so I worry about wear and tear.

He would appreciate the Golf and nothing about the Golf would be "wasted" on him. Why do you deserve a Golf???? Maybe you should go buy a Geo Metro so as not to waste the quality that goes into the VW cars on the likes of you :) (notice the smiley face)

Bottom line is that once he gets a little coaxing, he will probably get the Golf. He's done the 4WD thing and it's time for a change (I hope) He has virtually no sales resistance and once he sees how nice the Golf is, let's hope he likes it.
    WoW! 50mpg. So why doesn't everyone own a diesel? There must be too many disadvantages. Who wouldn't want gas mileage like that. I'm not to sure about him wanting a diesel, but you never know. It does get great gas mileage. I don't know much about diesel except it can gel up if it gets too cold. At least I know it can happen to big machines like bulldozers. I never really looked into it, but I will.

I don't think he would drive the Jetta since it's been tagged as a "girls" car. I wanted a Jetta, but I bought a used Passat instead so he would feel ok driving it. I'm glad I got the Passat even if he never drives it.

The only downside to the TDI I can think of is the implied stigma of only 90 hp. But the low-end grunt of the diesel makes it feel nearly as torquey as the V6. Personally I don't see why more people don't own them either. 'Course, there are relatively few imported, and they are becoming more popular and tend to sell close to MSRP. But it's definitely on my preferred list.

At speed a Golf, or any of the VW's, are far and away more settled and stable than either a Wrangler or a GC. By far the better commuter car.

My joking comments were poking fun at anyone with the, er... judgement to drive a Wrangler at those speeds. While it certainly is capable of 80-90, let's just say it's not the most forgiving vehicle when things go wrong. Hope he trades soon - he'll be much safer in the Golf.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    get the TDI....if he's doing 80-90 mph....he'll get mid to high 40's mpg....and best part is, still very quiet inside.

If diesel is readily accessible either at home or his work, definitely consider it.

Yes it's fun to drive in the twisties
    Maybe he will opt for a used TDI and wait a couple of years for a higher horsepower.

Either way, it makes the most sense for his commute.

I know, it's crazy that he drives his Jeep so fast. He doesn't seem to mind it too much though.

I understand about your comment. No big deal. But I had to kick one back at you just to be fair ;)
    Just pullin yer chain (or his...) Good luck with the Golf, or whatever.

:-)
  • japetjapet Member Posts: 5
    I went from a 4Runner to a Golf TDI, do I miss the 4Runner? about 4 weekends a year, Do I miss the gas consumption on a daily basis not a chance. Going for the Golf and keeping the Jeep for a weekend use makes a lot of sense. The money saved on gas and repairs to the Jeep may almost cover the payment on the Golf TDI. Now if they could build a 4Runner TDI......
  • gotenks243gotenks243 Member Posts: 116
    "The only downside to the TDI I can think of is the" fact that it costs about $1400 sticker over a 2.0 Golf. Despite the fact that you burn 150 or so less gallons of diesel in 10,000 miles than you do of gas in a 2.0, fuel is so utterly cheap in the U.S. that to even break even on the price difference, you'd have to drive the car something like 70,000 miles.

Sure, the satisfaction that you just got 50 mpg on a tank feels great, but when you're paying extra to do that, you have to ask yourself is it worth it.

Mike
    There is certainly a concern with diesel for engine power vs. money saved in gas vs. mileage per gallon etc. Although diesel is available just about at every gas station, the savings difference may not prove worthy and the extra power would be the reward.
    Not a good comparison. While the HP is better, the performance of the 2.0L is dismal compared to the TDI. Compare it to the 1.8T and it comes out better.

If you're looking only at fuel savings the extra cost is a consideration. But it will pay eventually, and the TDI is a much more durable motor in the long haul. Also, given a potential oil crunch, you are much more likely to always find diesel more available than gasoline, since trucks and busses will always need it.
  • gotenks243gotenks243 Member Posts: 116
    Not having driven an MkIV 2.0 or TDI, I can't really comment on either, but from what I know, the TDI is slower on acceleration, right? It may be torquier and have a nice turbo rush, but the low redline and turbo lag don't help cars in the area of get-up-and-go. I look forward to a test drive in both.

Most of the time, whenever the TDI is mentioned, it's always "fuel economy" this and "fuel economy" that. I'm just trying to play a little devil's advocate here.

Mike
    In my "comparison" if you will, I was trying to say that the extra cost of the TDI may not balance out in the savings on gas and missed HP. To some, performance is what matters, then comes cost of ownership. With something like the TDI, cost of ownership is probably going to be the priority to the buyer. Why else would someone want a 90hp diesel vehicle. Besides longevity, what performance is lacking with the 2.0L? The 1.8T is a better performer then he 2.0L? I would rather have the extra power then save a few dollars. But that's just me.
    is a MUCH better performer than the 2.0, and the TDI accelerates as well or better than the 2.0 because most of the available torque in a diesel is at the bottom. The 90 hp is made possible by the turbocharger, and comes into play higher in the rpm band.

The problem is that the 2.0 is an outdated and anaemic performer. The 1.8t has more hp and torque.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I have a 1.8T Jetta, and it flies compared to the TDI. The TDI doesn't have more absolute go power than the 2.0 (slower 0-60O), but it does feel more powerful. Also, the 1.8T accelerates almost twice as fast as the TDI does (14.5 seconds for TDI to 60 with automatic, 8 with 1.8T and automatic).

My 1.8T averages something like 25mpg with the bunch of highway driving I do. But I am heavy on the gas too. :)
    Personally, I always felt a false sense of raw power with wound up turbo 4cyl motors. Or any 4cyl motor for that matter. If you had a manual 6cyl, you would get the low end power that a 4cyl turbo gives. My 6cyl auto could certainly use some low end kick, but I like it fine. All I have to do is step on the gas to go :)
    my old 88 Camry V6 (5-speed manual) didn't really have power until 3000 rpms.

Compared to the 2.0L...the TDI will blow it away "in gear"...30-50 mph, 50-70 mph... etc, without downshifting.
    The power of my turbo kicks in around 1950rpm, it almost pushes you back in the seat.

I have driven a 2001 V6 Passat automatic, and mine definitely feels faster to me.
    I'm not saying a turbo doesn't have quickness, I just think it's a different kind of power then a 6 or 8cyl. Of course a manual turbo will feel and be quicker then some automatics. Controlling the amount of time you wait to shift will provide you with that feeling of quickness which gives you a feeling of power. However, I would much rather drive my 8cyl '72 automatic Stingray Corvette then any turbo. It's like pep vs. muscle. Horray for someone who may of beat me off the line, but here I come with plenty to spare. Careful not to blow out your turbo trying to catch me :) He-He
  • johnxyzjohnxyz Member Posts: 94
    Would you comment on the similarities and differences. Huge price difference just for the styling? Thanks, John
    KKK K04 turbo on the TT versus the smaller (yet gives a nice flat torque curve) K03 on the GTI 1.8T. APR upgrade to the K04 is $4000 plus install charges

AWD

$50 shift linkage

Audi luxury features and its firmer suspension....
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    A K04 upgrade is roughly $1600 bucks. An APR Stage III upgrade is $3000.
  • zhdzhd Member Posts: 18
    I have '02 Golf with 2.0L gas engine and 5-spd stick shift. Now it has 10k on odo. Every 5000 miles it loses 3/4 to 1 quarter of engine oil. The service guy with the dealer insisted that's normal. This engine supposes to last 10k miles between oil changes, how could that be normal. Anyone here has the same experience with Golf? What should I do to get it fixed?

Thanks in advance.
    I've ever owned, since the early 60's, has used between half and a full quart of oil every 5,000 miles. I would call that normal.

What I wouldn't call normal on any motor (except maybe a diesel) is 10,000 between oil changes. I don't care what the manual says, I change my oil between 3,ooo and 5,000 miles. That way I never need to add the quart it lost. That's what I would recommend, and I think you'll find that the preponderance of mechanics will agree. Remember, car manufacturers franchise dealers, and dealers are in the business of rebuilding motors aftre the warranty expires. The incentives arethere for them to recommend longer than ideal between oil changes.

FWIW, there has been an on-going debate between the Big 3 and consumers for years, in and out of court. All three have a policy for the mileage at which consumption of a quart of oil is "normal." The policies (last time I read them) vary from 950 miles to 1,150 miles!! And those were the policies for motors with 7,500 mile recommended oil changes!!

Sounds like VW's "a quart in 5,000 miles is normal" statement is very conservative in comparison.
    Thers's a TSB on this, where they will monitor the oil usage (weekly checks)....

Repair to correct it is a rebuilt consisting of thicker pistons rings.
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    I've owned a few VW's myself and most of them consumed some oil between changes. My present Toyota Echo (2001) does not consume any oil between changes every 5k miles. The 2.0. liter VW engine is known for using plenty of oil. It will last 200k miles easy. Just don't get alarmed by it's oil consumption.

Oil changes every 3k miles is a waste of money, time and resources. But if people insist in making oil companies (and lube places and dealerships, etc) richer it's their choice.
    doesn't use any oil in 5,000 miles between changes either. Most of my other cars used about a quart, never enough to add between changes.

I won't debate the oil change frequency - enough pixels have been spent here on that here already. I know Consumer Reports did a study on oil changes using a NY cab company and found no difference in maintenance required over the average 100,000 miles put on an engine. I also know what most mechanics and enthusiasts recommend, although that's a biased group too. I'll stick to my 3-5k.

:-)
    If the manufacturer recommends 10K changes, and the engine goes bad, and you have all the paperwork, VW will be buying you a new engine.

The normal oil usage, according to VW, is 1 quart per 1000 miles. If you are using more than that, they will fix the car. If not, they will not. But 1 quart in 5000 miles is hardly nothing.
    Upgrade the Golf's turbo (the GTI, actually), and you will be there. It's also alot cheaper than getting a TT, and the Golf has alot more room to spare inside.

The TT has different suspension tuning and wheels and tires though. These things are pretty much changeable though, for cash of course. :) The Golf is a better value, I think personally, though. These two cars are built on the same platform though. The Jetta, TT, Golf, and New Beetle are all on the same basic platform, in case anyone didn't know.
    Thank you for all the input on the oil consumption question.

vocus, I heard this 1 qtr per 1000 mile claim from the dealer. If this is true, VW can only be sold to those who watch the stick all the time. And this 10k mile service interval is solely for getting more engine rebuilt business for the dealers.
    By the way, what grade of engine oil do you people usually put into crank case of the 2.0L if you change oil yourself. According to the manual, it should be 5W40, which is not easy to get. Many thanks.
    According to my manual it takes 5w30.... I use Mobil1
    According to my manual it says 5w40, then if not available, 5w30
    You can also get away with using 10W-30 or 10W-40. I use it for it's higher breakdown tolerance.
    5W40 is the first option, if not avaible, 5W30.

How about filter? Dealer was making a big deal about the VW certified filter. I do not see any oil filter at Wal-mart with VW certified label on. Can I buy them at auto parts store or do I have to go to the dealer?
    Go to Car Parts or Pep Boys and they will hook you up with what you need. You should be able to buy the filter at the VW parts counter if you want VW cert. parts. The dealer saying you should use VW cert., may have to do with your cars warranty. If the oil changes are free from the dealer, then of course let them do it. I can't say that if I had the money, I wouldn't go to the dealer. Not that they put diamonds in the oil, but I guess the feeling of VW parts (even an oil filter) may give some a sense of completeness. I do not have the extra money, so I go to a place like Goodyear or STS. They won't put on the wrong type of filter, but I don't know if it's VW certified. Those places have a responsibility just like anyone else. I go to Goodyear and they usually charge me about $20-$25. Sometimes it's $15 if they are running a special and it doesn't matter what kind of car you have. I haven't had a problem with any of my cars with NOT going to the dealer.
    trlyka,

I am not a VW parts fan. My Golf is 2002 with 4yr 50k b-to-b and 5yr 60k drivetrain warranty. To trade it off, they cancel the free services; therefore, I am paying for the oil changes at dealer, which explicitly said that I must use VW certified filter in order to keep the drivetrain warranty. I did the 5k service at the dealer and will take my car in for 10k service tomorrow. I plan to do the oil change myself or at least one myself and one at the dealer. Will check the price for the filter tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be too far away from reasonable.

Thanks for the post.
    The VW powertrain warranty will not be void if you do it yourself or take the car somewhere else. What crap these dealers feed you!
    Yesterday I went to the dealer for the 10k service for my Golf. They rotated the tires and did the oil change and othe checks. It cost $57.46. I found the oil filter, if I want to buy from the part dept, is $7.85 plus tax, which is more than the total I spent on changing the oil myself for my old toyota (4qtr oil and a filter from Wal-Mart). Against the suggested oil grade of 5W40 or 5W30 by the manual, the dealer actually put 10W30 in my Golf. Why bother, I am going to do the service myself next time.
    try the online places like:

http://www.vwparts.com (Impex auto parts)

I can swear is recommends 5w30 and not 5w40.

10w30 and 10w40 is fine in the summer, but in the colder months you should use a 5w30 or 5w40. (If you live in a climate that gets cold that is.)
    it's 5w40, then it's 5w30
  • toto007toto007 Member Posts: 10
    Hi everyone,

my relatives just bought a new vehicle and we felt that there was something wrong w/ the vehicle the day we bought it .And so we told the dealers about it that day and thought that it was eventually a low pressure tire problem (big mistake).We then checked and reinflated the tires as specified by manual. but the problem was still there .
    We drove the car back 3 days later to complain about the issue and try to exchange w/ a different one .
    They said the 3day rule does not apply here in Oregon .Could anybody confirm ?

Thanks,

toto
    Call your state Atty General's office - don't rely on a bunch of car junkies you don't know. Learn the law yourself to be sure.

That said, the "3-day rule" is largely myth in most places. Here in MA it only pertains to items sold away from the seller's place of business. Primarily it was designed to cover door-to-door sales, not retail sales at a store. Some states have additional rights of recision - your mileage may vary. ;^)

You didn't say what is wrong with the vehicle - details would be helpful. But generally, they are bound by the warranty. If they can't fix it in three tries, then maybe the lemon lkaw will come into effect, but you have to let them try to fix it.