Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf

Comments

• toto007toto007 Member Posts: 10
    Hi Alfox,

Thanks for the advice .
    The problem was the car tends to pull on one side (that's why we thought it was a tire pressure problem).
    Also when you sit in the back seat , it felt like you are riding on a boat .
    They did ask to take a look at it but we felt like since the car was just 3 day old ,it was a bad sign to keep the same car .And so we asked for an exchange but they wouldn't move unless we accept a trade-in w/ a huge loss (>15% car original cost after 3days! which is out of question for us).

I think we will be counting on the Lemon law as you mention if they can't fix it.

Thanks,
    toto
  • xccoachlouxccoachlou Member Posts: 245
    From visiting several dealer lots, it appears that all the new gasoline engine MY 03 Golfs and Jettas with manual transmissions have them built in Argentina.

The Golfs are Brazilian made, which I don't have a problem with. The Fox, a sturdy, reliable car was built in Brazil. I still see some of them on the road.

An Argentine transmission? That makes me stop and think. I believe the MY 02 Golfs also came with Argentine Trannies. Have there been any problems reported? Or am I just paranoid?

- Lou
  • alfoxalfox Member Posts: 708
    Did they look at it? It could be something really simple, like a suspension restraint from shipping that hasn't been removed, or rear alignment that got dislodged during shipping. If they fix it, you are then whole - they don't owe you a new car, just one that operates properly.

Give them a detailed written description of the problem and let them have the car for a day. Type it so that it can be attached to the repair order. That way nothing will get lost in the translations from you=>service writer=>tech. You'll need to give them several tries with the lemon law any way. The better you document the problem, the better the chance they will find it and fix it. If they can't, then your case will be well documented.
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    ...If the car pulls to the right. A lot of times they come out of alignment - they are supposed to align them duringthe PDI process.

No need to get a new car....
    We drove it back and explained the problems :all they did and told us was the tires need to be rebalanced and so they did :there was a little improvement there after .Still it does not fix completely the problems and so we asked about the alignment .They said they will charge us for the alignment if they can't find anything wrong w/ alignment !!! we just bought the car 3 days ago and we already mentioned the problems the day we bought it and now they want to charge us it !!!

My relatives are doing some research on how we are going to deal w/ this and will probably try to call an attorney for help .

Thanks for the inputs guys.

toto
    Adg44,
    what's the PDI process ?

Thanks,

toto
    Don't specify the alignment, or suggest in any way what they should do to fix it. If they did a wheel balance in response to a complaint of pulling there must have been a misunderstanding from the start. That's not an appropriate fix for pulling.

Just take it in with a written description of the symptoms, as I explained before. Document the complaint and tell them to fix it. If you tell them what to do to fix it, they are justified in doing what you told them, and charging you if it didn't fix the problem.
    They are supposed to do all the fluids, air pressure, alignment (if needed), etc before they put the car on the lot.

- Anthony
  • nikolaevnikolaev Member Posts: 1
    I've got a Golf 2000 with 2.0 l engine. Dealer and mechanic say that it needs a replacement timing belt at 60.000 miles. But the manual does not say anything about timing belt on 2 liter engine, while it specifically says to replace it on all other engines. So, Do I need to replace it?
    alfox,

Thanks. We will be following those steps and see how it goes.

adg44,

That's what we all thought :They should have the vehicle in perfect condition when putting it on the lot .But oviously they didn't :they gave us the excuse that the vehicle has been test driven by many customers before we bought it.???

toto
    I hope they are able to pin it down quickly. The Golf should be a blast to drive, not a problem. Good luck.
  • newtovw1newtovw1 Member Posts: 1
    my daughter bought a 1996 vw golf and tells me she can't find the glove compartment? Is she pulling my leg? Is there one and how does it open?
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    I don't think there is a glove compartment.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    You need one at 60k miles
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Nope, I don't believe there is a glovebox. If it's not in its normal location, then it doesn't have one. :)
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    Just bought my daughter a 2002 Golf GLS 2.0, automatic. Should I buy an extended warranty. Dealer is offering a 7 yr/85K with a $100 ded., platinum plan from VW for around $1500. Covers pretty much everything in the factory 4/50K. If you sell the car, you can cancel for a pro rated refund. Around $200 per unused year. I don't know much about the reliability of the newer Golfs but I know I put a lot of $$ into her '92 Cabriolet over the last 4 years. Thanks.
    For the peace of mind, it doesn't sound like a bad price. Also, it's refundable if she trades/sells the car.
    If you think she'll keep the car past 4 years it may be a good idea - I think you can buy the extended warranty anytime before the original warranty expires. If that's the case I'd wait until closer to the end of the original warranty period. I rarely keep a car past 4 years so I never get the extended warranty.
  • ogchef4117ogchef4117 Member Posts: 1
    I am planning on buying a 2003 VW Golf w/ TDI 1.9L Engine, 4DR, manual (the most basic w/ the TDI). I live in N. Little Rock Arkansas, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how low they got their price on this car. I know the MSRP is around 17,500 or so. However, I'm sure you bargained and got it down some. Please reply..Thank You
    The invoice price would be about $1000 less than MSRP, it's not much room for negotiating
  • sd8sd8 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Gold TDI with about 116, km. We have a interesting relationship. Overall I love my car, but I hate all the little stupid things that have gone wrong. Early this year, I had to replace my trunk lock and all the wiring, almost $450. I had the intake manifold plugged $750. Little wiring problems, problems with the fuses, the lightbulbs don't last very long. I have this rattle when my drivers window is down and sometimes my passenger window doesn't even work. Many of the plastic parts in the car aren't very hardy and seem to break quite ofted. I am really annoyed that they don't have a better stereo unit. Get rid of the cassette player and have just a CD player and make a smaller more compact unit. Other than that I do about 1000 km a week and that usually is a full tank of fuel. I do get a little nervous as my car gets older and I have to start to think about maintaining it.$$$ But overall I think I would purchase a VW again. Especially since they came out with a better warranty in Canada, used to be 2 years 40,000K, now it is 4 years 80,000K
    Keep on Driving!!
  • vbnmvbnm Member Posts: 21
    sorry if this has been covered before, but is the 1.8t engine available in a 4-door golf? btw i'm in montreal, qc.
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    Decided to go with a warranty marketed by AAA. Price for a 7 yr/100K bumper to bumper warranty for my daughter's 2002 Golf GLS was $1400, about $500 cheaper than the comparable VW Masterguard Warranty. Deductible is reduced from $100 to $50 if it taken to a AAA approved repair shop. Dealer where I bought it is AAA approved. It is transferrable to new owner or a pro-rata refund can be requested.
    You can work them down on the price of the warranty at VW. They are pure profit.
    The last year of production for the 1.8T 4-door Golf was 2001. The only way to get the 1.8T is in the GTI in the Golf lineup.
  • moondawgmoondawg Member Posts: 24
    Bahnbrenner?I'm thinking getting a performance chip for a Golf?I found them on the internet.(duh!)Anyone have any advice,other than them?
    Stick to APR or GIAC.

www.goapr.com
  • socalburbguysocalburbguy Member Posts: 1
    Invoice for the GL 4dr tdi from VWoA is $16,545,a good starting point. If your a Costco member and there's a dealer in your area that will honor there pricing structure and he has the car in stock you should be able to get it for about $400 over invoice. Next best AAA authorized dealer, we're getting ours for $17,018. Also got a price from one of those no haggle dealerships for $17,195. The big problem was finding a dealer with one in stock. If you have to order one expect to wait 3 months and pay closer to retail.
  • grc54321grc54321 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone on this board have, or heard of, a problem with an ocassional grinding noise from the transmission? Lasts for 10 seconds then goes away for a week. Happened twice in last month - strangely, within days of the last scheduled maint. by VW dealer.

Will be taking it to Dealer but wanted to be armed with knowledge first.

Thanks.
  • asimhaasimha Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have never owned a diesel car before and don't know much about it. From what I see TDI performance is better than GLS2.0. What I don't know is if diesel is available everywhere in USA like gasoline and also if it is more maintenance than the gas version.
    I started looking at this class of cars by looking at the Mazda P5 but bad reviews made me conclude either a VW Golf/GTI or a Honda Civic Si would be better. Please email me your thoughts.

THanks.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    You may also want to check out our Honda Civic Si vs. VW GTI discussion. Good luck with your decision.

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Quoted $500 from Walnut Creek, California (near SFO) dealer, plus $80 for brake fluid flush since I am at the 2 year mark.

Good price, bad price, recommendations?

Local indie shop also quoted $500, but only after a terrific struggle with its online estimating guide.
    I would recommend the TDI engine over the 2.0 in the Golf simply for reliability reasons. The 2.0 has some oil consumption issues, not the TDI. Diesel engines run forever. The only thing that will cost you more is the timing belt change every 80K miles, but the gas engine requires this at 105K (I think) anyway, so it's about even there. Also, the TDI uses synthetic oil, which is more expensive than the 2.0's regular oil (they have the same 10K "estimated" change interval, if I remember correctly). I would personally get the TDI over the 2.0 engine. It's not faster though, not according to VW's website stats anyway.
    I have a stick shift, 2001 Golf, and it is close to 4,000 rpm on the tach at freeway speeds. Even at slow freeway speeds I feel I must be in fourth gear and want to upshift.

The manual calls for 5-40 oil, which doesn't exist in this country. The dealer (and the manual) say 5-30 is ok as an alternative. The turbo requires full synthetic, "dino" oil is apparently ok for the non-turbo.

I started out with 5k oil changes using Mobil 1 full synthetic, 5-30. I have now switched to 3,300 mile intervals to get a further margin of safety, and to match the factory 10k intervals for maintenance purposes. (I change the air filter every 10k.)

Question: what are appropriate oil change intervals? Since my car "eats" a quart of oil every 1,500 miles, over the course of 5,000 miles it actually gets at least two, if not three, fresh "refresher" quarts with the additives etc. So maybe the oil change interval is ok, based on oil consumption?

BTW, most makers use cheaper catalytic converters, and don't want oil consumption, in fact Ford specs their oil for low volatility to keep as many fumes as possible out of the converter. VW apparently dances to a different tune - oil consumption is necessary to keep rings and valves lubed, its ok, the catalytic converter should be able to deal with it.

Thoughts?
    on all 2001 models (since you have the scheduled maint covered by VW), they flush the brake fluid FOR FREE between the 18-24th month of ownership. DO NOT pay for it, unless you are over 24 months, although VW may pick up the tab for you if you aren't too far past two years.

Also, I'm assuming since you have a 2001 Golf, you have a 2.0L. Basically you just change oil, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter (maybe), pollen filter, and a few other checks. Not worth $500 at all.

- Anthony
    I just stick to 5k on my beetle (2.0) and 5k on my 1.8T, I did 5k also on my previous 01 VR6.

3300 is overkill, and I just didn't want to go 10k even though that's what the bentley recommends.

Stick with Mobil1 5w30 and change it and the filter ever 5k miles and you'll be fine.
    micweb: To the contrary, 5w40 is available...but harder to find. Havoline Synthetic is available in 5w40, the dealership Syntec is available in 5w40, go to Wal-Mart Shell Rotella T synthetic is available in 5w40 (under $13 a gallon), Mobil Delvac 1 is 5w40 (much harder to find)....I follow the 10k oil change on my TDI

Oil comsumption...the 2.0L does have an established history for oil consumption. Some got thicker piston rings install at VW's expense.

asimha: Got my first TDI this year...still glad I made the transition. Diesel is readily available where I am, since I commute on a trucking route
  • golfiiicelebgolfiiiceleb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 golf III celeb on 92k miles. I noticed oil in my air filter on the last oil change. The dealer replaced the breather valve, he said it had a hole in it at the same time did a 90k maint check and put in a new air filter. After I picked up the car I looked at the filter and it was getting oil in it again. The dealer said this was normal for an older engine is this true?
    I don't see any way that oil could get in your airbox???

Yeah Check out vortex and click on technical and then go into the 2.0L forum - someone there will beable to help you.

- Anthony
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    I opened the door of a cloth Golf wagon (I call any four door hatchback a wagon) and the strongest new car smell I had ever smelled blew out of the car. I got in and I couldn't stand the smell so I left. Are all cloth VWs this way? I got inside leather New Beetles, Jettas, and Passats and they were fine. But whew! You can't begin to imagine what a strong smell that Golf had.
    The 2002 Golf 2 door (made in Germany that year) was the least offensive "new car smell" I ever ran into. Maybe because they are so "green" in Europe in terms of adhesives etc.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I love the new car smells....
    Me too! I loved the way my leather-equipped Jetta smelled when I first got it. Like a new pair of leather gloves, almost. It smells about the same when I use the leather cleaner in it.
  • sav2sav2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Golf GLS with 40,000 miles. Recently a spring popped out under the passenger seat, and the seat adjustment mechanism seemed off. I took it to the dealer and had it replaced; it was covered under my 1source extended warranty, although the claim came in at $400-500. I see that there is a visible difference in the new adjustment mechanism: the handle is different, and it looks different from the underside. Also, the seat moves roughly, while the driver side literally glides upon adjustment. It appears to be from a "lower class" VW, if that makes sense. I'm going back to the dealer, but I'm afraid they might argue that the part is no longer available or make up some other excuse. I'm extremely irritated, but I'm not sure what I can do.

Any suggestions?
    A friend of mine had a pretty bad accident in her 00 Golf last week. She had a little too much to drink (I know, she was stupid for that right there, and she did arrested too), and was going 55mph on the highway. She was a little off, shall we say, and hit a broken-down car on the side of the road, at 55mph. While I am not condoning her bevavior (by a LONG shot), she walked away from the accident. Her front wheels were bent into a "D" shape, that's how hard she hit. No one was in the broken down car, thank God.

While this was an extremely stupid way to learn how well the Golf protects its occupants in a crash, it still did nonetheless.
    Seat issue - I'd take a look at a new Golf in the showroom and see how the seat adjusts and what the adjustment knob looks like. If it's the same version they replace on your car and it adjusts smoothly, tell them about it. I have an 02 Golf that has smooth adjusting seats. Maybe they need to adjust something or lube the tracks a little better.

Crash - One of my #1 priorities in the Golf purchase was the crash rating - good to know it holds up in real world circumstances.
  • fezst1fezst1 Member Posts: 4
    any one have problem with throttle body housing going bad. My golf is 34000mi, once a while, the idle is rough and seems stalling, (never actually stalled). I did some search on web and didn't really get much about it except some site mentioned Jetta has some problem with throttle body housing. Is anyone here had this kind of problem and what is the reason for it.
  • fezst1fezst1 Member Posts: 4
    thanks rickrover.

I went to the dealer yesterday (right after I posted the message) and the diagnostic was bad throttle body housing. Replacement is about $500 or so. Can the throttle body housing actually go bad (and what could cause the problem). I asked service manager, he basically doesn't know how it would happen (or he is pulling my leg). Since he doesn't have the part in stock, he put the test part on the car so I can drive home for now. I'll make sure to ask him to clean MAF first with the old housing on it and see if that can fix the problem.
    Since you are only 34000 miles, I would give VWoA a call, explain the situation, and a lot of times they will help you out with the bill.

Cleaning the MAF really doesn't help much, cause most of the times when they go bad it's not because they are dirty. You can give it a try though and buy some CRC Electronics Cleaner from Advanced Auto Parts and take out the maf and spray it on the sensor.

- Anthony
    That's true - plus the MAF is only about $50 and 15 minute install - it's attached to the air box. I don't know a whole lot about the throttle body - good advice to call VW, they may help you out. Check parts4vws.com - you may be able to get one at a lot better price than $500.