Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    I have seen so many of the current Celicas around. Unfortunately, I see red ones all the time also (mine is red.) I'm a very critical person, and I think this car is super cool, one of the best designs around.

They're gonna blow it with a completely new design! There's no where to go but "down"!
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    they have to change it sooner or later! And annual sales now are down to niche levels - they may drop under 10K per year this year. Toyota must be anxious to bring out a new one. I am glad they will not be dropping the model line, and will be keeping it true to its roots (a light 2-door, economical sport coupe)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    But if Toyota is going to change it,let's hope it is in the area of increased interior room and performance to compete with the Acura RSX.The only area that I'm not too impressed with is the rear slablike valence panel design,but in pictures the Celica with no rear spoiler looks remarkedly more attractive.I've yet to see one with no rear spoiler in NJ.Studies show that over 60% of new car buyers are women,so let's hope that the bean counters don't have their way and 'Chick' up the Celica again.With the new Scion division going after the younger buyers this is a distinct possibility.
  • gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Personally I think the Celica GT-S already is very competitive with the RSX-S, at least in performance. They are close enough that any sort of contest would end up being a "driver's race."

Also, most people I know think the celica looks funny without a spoiler.

Finally, although I would love to see a higher performance version of the current celica, I doubt that will happen. I've heard that a new Supra is in the works; I don't think that Toyota would want the celica to intrude into the Supra's market.
    would also be the one that I think would sell.Nothing too dramatic,maybe 160 hsp for the GT and 220 for the GTS with a 9k redline ala the Honda S2000.But nippononly is right,I did some quick web research and discovered that Celica sales have dropped about 30% each year since 2001,with Consumer Guide even saying the Celica might be dropped after 2004.Since the new design will supposedly be very different,I only hope they don't go heavier,slower,softer suspension,with a quieter engine to appeal to the Mitsubishi Eclipse buying crowd(mostly young girls).I laugh every time I read a review complaining about the Celica's noisy engine.It's a sports coupe, not a luxury suv,the growl of the engine is part of it's appeal!The last Supra was a near exotic,especially the price which was in the 40-50k range.So even if the new Supra retails for about 35k it would still be 10k away from the price of a fully loaded GTS.
  • yatittleyatittle Member Posts: 13
    I see where a sunroof is listed as an option, but nowhere is a moonroof listed. Sunroof just tilts up whereas a moonroof slides all the way open, right??? Is a moonroof optional or can it be custom installed by dealer, and if so, at what price?? Babylon Honda custom installed a moonroof on the Accord LX. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.. Thank you
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The sunroof on the Celica opens all the way.
    it is a moonroof - it is see-through. It tilts up and slides all the way back - both under power.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• dq1dq1 Member Posts: 44
    I got back from the grocery store this afternoon, pulled into the garage and my 01 Celica GT (5sp. man) started to surge up and down between 1.5k and 3.0k rpm's. My wife came out and asked what I was doing and didn't believe it until I got out of the car and we both stood there looking dumbfounded at the car while it did this :) I took it immediately to the dealer. While on my way there, I would drop it out of 5th into neutal and it would "bounce" a bit, but by the time I got to the dealer who is about 40 miles away, it had stopped. The tech let it run for about 45 minutes but couldn't duplicate it. I put about another 70 miles on it on the way home and it hasn't done it since. Anybody have any thoughts?
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    I'd replace the fuel filter just to be safe.
    My 2000 GTS does that when first started, in freezing temperatures. Hrmmm...I don't worry about it, but it is normally brief.
    Just for the record, I had the same "auto-rev" going on during the winter about a year ago (2000 GT-S). I just waited it out and it stopped acting up after a few minutes.

I dunno what it is. Do you have any mods? I have an aftermarket Cold Air Intake that occasionally fusses with the RPMs.
  • sergeissergeis Member Posts: 134
    My guess is it is computer going into oscillations. Programs which have a feedback regulating slowly changing processes can do that - my cruise control on Celica GT 2000 often goes into oscillations breaking and surging with speed fluctuations ~5-10 mph, usually restarting the program (almost said Windows - just turn cruise off and then on) stops it. The 'gas mixture' regulating part of the program I believe is self-learning adjusting to driving conditions, I guess it went wild for some reason and then after while 'relearned'.
  • wscc1wscc1 Member Posts: 21
    The fuel gauge on my 2000 Celica GTS, on very hot days after turning off the engine, when the
    engine is restarted (the off period could be minutes to overnight)
    will not read correctly. In fact, at times it will not show any bars (and why wasn't a standard pointer gauge good enough?????) at all at times. After driving a while it returns to the proper reading. This has been going on since new and, of course, I could not report it to the dealer since it would never do it when I would need it to. Any others out there have this problem and has anyone got a fix?
  • exit00exit00 Member Posts: 11
    OK... got a 2003 Celica GS last month and it came with Dunlop SP Sport 4000 tires.
                          The recommended PSI for the tires inflation noted on the inside door is 29psi for all
                          four tires. However, checking them today (when they were cold), the tire pressure in
                          each one was 40psi.

I'm concerned that 40psi is much too high based on the recommended pressure.
                          Although, I usually keep my tire pressure a little higher than what is recommended.

If anybody else has these tires on their 2003 Celica GS, what tire pressure do you
                          keep them at? Before I call the service dept, I would like to hear some other owners
                          opinions first.
    What is the MAX Pressure Rating of those tires?
    left too highly inflated by the selling dealership - a very common problem. Isn't max pressure 35 PSI for those tires? Lower them down so they do not exceed the max listed on the tire sidewall.

The max air pressure on the side of the tires states 51psi. So 40psi that the dealer put in doesn't exceed the max, but it is still way over the 29psi that the car recommends. I've never put in more than 33 or so psi in any other Dunlop sport tire so 40psi seems extreme to me....

Mike
    I like your thinking on this exit00, and I wish to add my 2 cents, which some of it is redundant. The tire pressure rating for the car, like you mentioned, is your main reference. That provides a balance of performance and comfort for that particular car. Adding pressure for better performance is possible, and may sacrifice some other things, like ride comfort, wet/snow traction, etc. I think I do what you typically do, and add a couple lbs all around.

Approaching a tire's rated pressure is really not safe, as that pressure typically far exceeds the recommended pressure for that particular car.

I'm curious as to how the ride is with 40psi. I'm thinking it is probably somewhat harsh.
    Set them to 29psi like the sticker says. They were at 40 psi for shipping, to keep from developing "flat" spots on the tires. The dealer's prep service that you probably paid extra for was supposed to deflate the tires to the sticker pressure. I wonder what else did they not do?
    I didn't know they inflated the tires so much in order to ship them. I've felt that since I had the car that the ride was rougher than it should have been. Should have checked the tires sooner but I didn't think about it. I've set the tire pressure down to 32 based on what I've done in the past. The ride is much better and I'm not worrying now about them blowing with the hot weather we're having now.

A guy at a tire place just told me that he advises a little more than the car sticker because it will dramatically increase the mileage I get on the tires... we'll see.

thanks again...
    Yea, my dealer forgot to deflate mine too. I'm running 32 psi in mine ('01 GT-S) and have been getting 29-31mpg in city stop/go traffic and 35-38mpg on the freeway - no complaints here!
  • sergeissergeis Member Posts: 134
    These tires are not gonna last long anyway. I had to replace front ones at ~20K and rear ones at ~30K. Replaced with Michelin pilots - enormous decrease in noise level, never thought tires can actually be so drastically different in this department.
  • 00silvergts6sp00silvergts6sp Member Posts: 4
    I switched to the Yok's and have seen a tremendous difference. my 0-60 dropped from 7.3/7.5 to 6.9/7.1 and the wet traction is outstanding. Add the hotchkis competition suspension and there is no corner you cant blow around. I highly recommend them for the price and quality. If money is not an issue I recommend something like the Falken 451's another awesome tire.
    Last winter, my '01 Celica GT was diagnosed with pre-ignition spark knock and the dealer said there was nothing that could be done. I have since spoken with my neighbor who is a shop supervisor for a Ford dealership. He says this is very common in 4 cyl. Fords and there is an easy fix in re-programming the computer to expand it's parameters so it can see and adjust for the problem.

I spoke with my Toyota rep. who says there is no re-programming available for my Celica. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and had it corrected with a re-programming (assuming it does exist out there).
    Dq1, it is easy for me to sit on the sidelines and comment. But to me, knocking in these advanced engines is UNACCEPTABLE. Why? 50k miles down the road, will you have a hole burned through your piston? Damaged crankshaft from the knocking force? Fried valves? Knocking on a 1980 Delta 88 with 100k miles and an Olds engine is expected. Knocking in your engine is not. I checked the NHTSA's site for a TSB, to no avail.

Since the dealer isn't cooperating, I would talk to a Toyota regional/headquarters service rep, if you feel like doing so. Tell them your expectation, and see what they say. You can always use the line that you bought a Toyota because you have been told time and time again that they have immaculately running engines...
  • laid_back_dudelaid_back_dude Member Posts: 3
    Hi Folks-

We have a 2001 Toyota Celica GT with a moonroof.
    The outside of the moonroof is peeling. Has anyone
    run into this? Thanks.
    The tinting? I just noticed some of mine that is warn away. I'm sure it may be due to going through automated carwashes. I knew better. I was told not to use a snow brush on the moonroof, for the same reason.
  • 03celica0303celica03 Member Posts: 36
    Does anyone know if there are any changes for the 04' or 05 celica? Maybe a 2.0 Liter with 200hp or maybe a 2.2 Liter with 220hp. I think these would be optimal Liter sizes as they get 180hp out of the existing engine. With the celica weight currently at around 2450 to 2550lbs,we cant ask for the 3.0Liter due to its wieght and ability to throw the balance of the car off. Maybe we could talk to Honda and put the S2000's 2.0 that gets 240 hp in the celica . Could be that the return of the Nissan 350Z and the Mazda Rx-8 will summon the Supra back.
    The car mags report the 2005 Celica will get a total inside and outside redesign.A 9k redline would be great,but would be costly.Also S2000 owners report oil usage as part of the high revving engine,so I see quite a few uninformed owners blowing them up.I'll be happy if they keep it light,quick and fuel efficient.
    for Celica matching RSX for the '05: 160 hp 2L GT, 200 hp GT-S. That and get rid of the acres of godawful industrial plastic inside.

• mike372mike372 Member Posts: 354
    I recently inherited a 91 Celica GTS. I am looking for a used 15X6.5 alloy wheel ( passenger side). Does anyone know where I can find one as I am having trouble locating one in the salvage yards.
    You can try www.junkyarddog.com supposedly the internet's largest database for used parts.Good luck!
  • mike372mike372 Member Posts: 354
    a alloy wheel for my GTS. I drove to Denaples Salvage Yard in Dunmore (Scranton PA) on Saturday. They had a huge building full of parts. I mean it must have been 800-1000 feet long. Easily the largest building I have ever seen in a junkyard and I have been to many yards. It was probably built during the 40's or 50's for some other purpose. But out of the six wheels they showed me I picked one which was in really excellent shape. They are directional so I was limited to the passenger side wheels. It was only $50.00. But this building was just enormous. Anyway I drove home happy and mounted a tire on the wheel so now I have four alloy wheels on the car.
    I was reading on another site about an empty air filter box located behind the glove box that is designed to hold an interior air filter. I thought i'd checked it out and sure enough, there it was. It took about 20 secs. to drop the box thanks to 2 plastic screws at the back of the glove box that only take a half turn to remove.

Anyone know if this filter is a Celica part you can get from the dealer? The post I read said it was the same as the Solara, but didn't say what year. Has anyone installed this in their Celica and have any feedback on how well it works?
  • deacasdeacas Member Posts: 2
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    ...the discussion on this issue in the archives at Engine Sludge/Oil --Toyota's Customer Response
  • deacasdeacas Member Posts: 2
    Hello, This is for "Nippononly" In response to #1006 you mention a Special Extened Warranty by Toyota.
    I'm very much interested in knowing where or how you received this Special Extended Warranty on Toyota, Celica sludge engine damage warranty. I'm wondering if there is a history of Celica's having this problems in the past. Can you provide me solid concrete information on "Special Extened Warranty and in regard to #1006 you wrote? Any more info. you provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    in reference to the OLD Celica, not the current one (year 2000 on). In the 94-99, the 2.2L engine was listed with the other engines that may experience sludging. Toyota extended the warranty on the engine if damage is related to sludge. I think the bulk of the sludge reports were actually related to the 3.0 V-6 in use in Camrys and Siennas back then, so you probably will not experience a problem. However, if you have a Celica with the 2.2 and think you may have sludging, have your car checked out by a Toyota dealer - they will be able to give you the proper information about the extra coverage from Toyota.

• tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    My 2.2 (91 GT) doesn't have any sludge.
    that the emissions design changed in '97 or '98, and it is only 2.2's in Celicas from this year on that are affected by the potential sludging issue. Check with the dealer.

• snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    I hope Toyota gets rid of the hidious current design with that huge wing on the back. I would be ashamed to drive such a thing. It is almost as bad as the Subaru. Has anyone seen a picture of the new design? Does it have that idiotic wing?
  • bibbysizebibbysize Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 GTS purchased 11/1999 and my moonroof tint is peeling around the edges. I've asked the dealer about it and they will not cover replacing it because it is out of the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty period. I do not use any abrasives and hand wash my car. I believe it is a manufacture defect that has not been recognized by Toyota yet. I have never had problems with tint on moonroofs with any of my other cars!!! Has anyone been able to get Toyota to fix this?
  • 03celica0303celica03 Member Posts: 36
    I hear there will be more power but will the price go too high? I have seen some GTS with 27-28 prices.Once you get around that price you approach cars such as the Mazda RX-8 250hp around $28k,Nissan 350zx 287hp starting around $27.5 and the infiniti G35 280 hp around $29k. Not that i believe the build quality of these with the exception of the G35 is as good as the toyota.Still after driving all three of these cars I will expect alot more from the 2005 celica if the price gets closer to these other cars as $30k use to be the price of only highline cars.I remember the supra turbo last generation at $46k,the price is what made it vanish.
  • lehighlexuslehighlexus Member Posts: 94
    I have a 94 Celica ST coupe with 224,000 miles on it. Original engine, tranny, etc. The only thing I had to change was the brake caliper bracket because it was in an accident. When it was replaced they used the wrong screw, so it just sheared the threads away. No problem of the cars. Keep driving and enjoy your cars.
    Are you complaining about the current production celica or some concept design for the 05?

The stock spoiler is not really that conspicuous. Or are you referring to the Action Package spoiler? You are aware that the car can simply be ordered without a spoiler at all, right?
  • brenda0714brenda0714 Member Posts: 1
    I have a silver 2000 GTS with 52,000 miles on it. The engine and oil light came on the other week. We took it to our local Toyota dealer and he said we blew the engine. User error. This car is not abused. To make a long story short. We went through all the steps to get Toyota to honor their 60,000 mile powertrain warranty and are now in the process of an arbitration between ourselves and Toyota. I have looked through all the posts and cannot find any concrete information on the 2000 GTS engine..misshifts, faulty gear shifts...whatever you might want to call it. I would like to be armed when I go into this arbitration stating that this is/was a common occurence with the 2000 GTS's and the problem with misshifting has been covered under warranty. Can anyone help?
    Hi Brenda,

I can point you to where to find more info, but unfortunately I'm not allowed to post links to other forums. Please e-mail me using the address in my profile.
    Brenda, over-revving the engine is abuse. However, I did hear that Toyota may have replaced some engines that were damaged from a mis-shift because of the uniqueness of the 6-speed transmission. I wish you luck with your case. Let us know what happens please.
    about the celica going away after '04, huh? They are going to "replace" it with an up-powered JDM Caldina badged here as a Scion. I guess it was in the cards from the moment Toyota conceived of Scion, since Celica's 2000 redesign was especially for the purpose of attracting younger buyers, as is all of Scion.