Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    I have pretty cheapo aftermarket taillights on my 2000 GT-S. Moisture clearly gets into the taillight housing itself. But I've never had this problem of water ending up in the trunk itself.

Have you taken it into a dealership or is your car way past the warranty?
  • zelda6zelda6 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks so much Nippononly and Gambit293 for the info. I'm going to take it to the Dealer. At least I can sound some what intelligent(even if I'm not) LOL. Thanks to you.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    Toyota Celica and MR2 to be cancelled after 2005 model year.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id- =20040716

This saddens me deeply, and gives me yet another reason to dislike Scion...
  • gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Booooo! Hisssss! I knew this was coming though. I've already ranted about Toyota's decisions on this and other boards so I won't go into it anymore now.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    makes the Celica one of the longest-lived of any of the Toyota models here in the States. It is truly a shame that Toyota just could not make this formula work any more to sell cars.

I think part of the problem is that the least decade or so of Celicas have been overpriced relative to the rest of the market, which is another way of saying that fiercer and fiercer competition has just driven the Celica out, I guess.

And yet this has not happened to another of Toyota's really long-lived models, the Corolla, which continue to hit new sales highs generation after generation. The press release from Toyota implies that sport coupes have become too fickle a segment to be able to make long-lasting success in, so I guess maybe the short-term, frequent-change theme at Scion will suit them better in this segment.

Having said that, I will add that the tC is a true porker, and to call it a worthy replacement for Celica is to miss the true nature of Celica.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    "missing the true nature of any sports car" is the true reason why Toyota abandons this segment completely.
    Long live Toyota - the king of "from A to B"
  • machaanmachaan Member Posts: 30
    or else I would have been driving a Celica today.

Kind of sad that mr2 is going away too.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I'd venture to say that the Celica will return some day. Will it still be sold in Japan since they won't have the tC? The Celica may live on, just not on our shores. Who knows, maybe Canada will still have the Celica since they don't they don't even have Scion. I'm surprised Toyota can't/won't focus the Celica's character and differentiate it from sporty econo-lux tC.
  • ed_scott0013ed_scott0013 Member Posts: 64
    Unfortunately, us Canadians lose the Celica after 2005 as well.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/040720-3.htm
    it is perfectly true that Toyota has announced that Celica will live on in Europe as well as the home market "for an indefinite period of time".

So maybe one day, it will come back to the States...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    Does anybody know anthing about engine problems in 2000-2004 celica? my '03 with only 11,000mi according to Jiffylube is showing signs of a wide known problem with toyota engine sludge/gelling. ___Called toyota they said there is know way a celica is included in there problem vehicles for that specific problem? But according to some websites it does include celica. And once started it will vastly decrease engine life. they noted on my receipt at jiffy lube "Toyota engine sludge/gelling evident"
    My 95 nissan w 180,000 miles never had an oil problem and I neglected that car till I traded it. What Gives toyota??
  • sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    From what I can find out most engine sludge was a problem in the Camry of 1997-2001.Does any body have any hard facts on which models and years were affected? thanks so much, sean
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    I just did a quick google search, and have no idea if this is accurate, but one site shows affected engines:

Camry 4 cyl. Produced 8/96 - 7/01
    Camry 6 cyl. Produced 8/96 - 7/01
    Solara 4 cyl. Produced 6/98 - 5/01
    Solara 6 cyl. Produced 6/98 - 5/01
    Sienna 6 cyl. Produced 7/97 - 5/01
    Avalon 6 cyl. Produced 7/96 - 5/01
    Celica 4 cyl. Produced 8/96 - 4/99
    Highlander 6 cyl. Produced 11/00 - 7/01

You can try the NHTSA website for verification.

Please don't tell us you are "neglecting" your new car, and that this is your first oil change at
    11,000 miles!
    1. the sludging TSB DID affect the old Celica, the 2.2L, from MY '97 up until it went away in 2000. It never affected the current gen.

2. Take anything Jiffy Lube tells you with a grain of salt. Maybe even a POUND of salt. The level of technical expertise at their stores varies a lot (mostly from 'some' to 'none') and many of their "recommendations" are designed to produce extra business for themselves that is a needless expense for the consumer. They have been investigated by the state AG here in California for exactly this reason.

3. Oil gelling can occur in any engine if the oil changes are not frequent enough. I am with guitarzan in asking: this isn't your first oil change, I hope? If you do not drive very much, follow a time schedule for oil changes, rather than a mileage schedule.

4. If you are truly worried about this, DEFINITELY get a second opinion from a real shop or a Toyota dealer - no gas stations or quickie lube places.

• SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Type engine sludge in the search box to your left and you will get 5 discussions on the issue. The are archived, but contain helpful information.
  • mike372mike372 Member Posts: 354
    has been a great car even though it listed for $23,768 in 1991. Very expensive for its time. It has an exceptional 10 speaker CD, cassette, Am/FM stereo which has just gone on the blink today. I cant figure out if the problem is with the head unit or power amp. The left channel cuts out when on AM/FM mode, sometimes completely, sometimes partially. All of the left channel speakers are affected. The CD unit has not worked for quite some time now. The problem is that the power amp is actually three separate amps. One goes to the front speakers, one to the rear speakers and one to the two woofers, so if its the problem how do I get a identical replacement without paying Toyota prices. Anyone have any experience/ideas.
    I would go back there and just check all the connections first, especially if it is intermittently working properly.

Just a thought.

• shishishishi Member Posts: 6
    I have a 91 automatic convertible celica with 193,000 miles. Replaced the distributor, cap, wires and plugs due to a "bucking" problem. Since then have cracked the same #1 plug 4 times. Each time the plug lasted about one week. the Toyota techs say they have never heard of this problem and can't figure out what it could be. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    when you say "cracked the spark plug" what exactly is it that cracked? The resistor on top where you attach the plug wire boot? The electrode on the end of the plug?

Also did the bucking problem go away with this fix? And lastly, are you sure that the plugs you are using are the proper heat range for your car?

The electrode on the end is cracked with no sign of oil or other liquid or burn marks.
       The bucking problem disappeared with new plugs, except at about 45-50 mph where it has always bucked. This bucking AT 50 MPH did not disappear with the new distributor either.
     I have only had the Toyota Techs work on the car so I assume that the plugs are the correct heat range. Any ideas? Thanks.
    the 86-89s and the 90-93s had an air hose for the inlet of the FI that would crack over time, and would then cause the car to buck and hesitate badly on hard acceleration. This was because the movement of the car as it leaned back would narrow and widen the cracks in the hose as you moved (it would get worse the faster the car travelled) which would play havoc with the engine management which would be alternately flooded with oxygen momentarily and then returned to normal. The consequent adjustments it would make to the air/fuel mix would cause the car to buck a lot. Check it out - pull it off and see if it is cracked (stretch it out a little like an accordion).

As for the plug electrode constantly cracking - that is weird - I am as stumped as the Toyota techs.

Somebody suggested that the piston is getting too close to the spark plug causing the top of the piston and the discharge from the plug to get too close creating a potential "backlash" into the plug which would exceed the capacity of the plug. Does that make any sense to check out the piston, and if so, how do they do that?
    of anything remotely like that before, and it seems pretty far-fetched.

• zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    I had that same 10 speaker sound system(called system 10)in the 92 GTS I had 5 years ago.It was the best stock factory car system I ever had in a car.But the CD player was crap because it didn't play nearly as loud as the radio and the cassette. I always wondered how I could've improved that system.If I were you I'd replace the stock head unit an AM/FM CD player with satellite radio,add an amp and gradually upgrade all the speakers.That still would cost much less than trying to replace the stock unit with a new one(if that's even possible on a car that old)and it would sound even better than the stock unit when done!
  • scotsman93535scotsman93535 Member Posts: 40
    I recently purchased a 1997 Celica convertible. The car is in great shape and only has 65000 miles on it.

The prior owner was concerned about the convertible top cover. This cover goes over the convertible top when it is in the down position. This cover blow off while he was traveling at freeway speeds. Of course this concerns me a great deal.

The cover is held in place by a Velcro strip along the back of the rear seat. It also has one snap on each side of the cover. The snaps seem to be a rather poor way to hold the cover on. If the wind gets under the cover, these snaps would release without much upward motion.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Were you able to correct it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • zingerzinger Member Posts: 61
    I have a 2000 Celica GTS. I let a kid sit in it and he was playing roughly with the shifter when the car was off without depressing the clutch. The car was fine for the next 4 days and then I felt a snap when shifting into 4th gear.After that when I shifted into 2-4-6 the shifter felt strange and felt like it was not shifting all the way into gear. I took it to the dealer and they took apart the shifter and the cable broke. Now it is going to cost me $825 just for that. Can you damage the shifter/cable by doing what he did?
  • 03celica0303celica03 Member Posts: 36
    I agree a great bargain for 17-18k. Not really the best looking replacement. You cant beat the celica for looks/handling/steering/braking/mpg/reliability/ but you sure could beat it on the price.The celica starts out at a pretty high base price without any options. The average buyer will not live without most of those options and then ends up with a very high priced celica that approaches cars in a higher class.I was hoping they made a last model with a 200hp-220hp maybe in limited production (hoping only).Well the acura Rsx is still there but after driving both ,my opinion was the celica for all the reasons above. Damn now I will have to get the 350z which for the price makes me feel even more guilty because the 350z approaches BMW,Mercedes,Audi,Lexus in price. Who would ever imagine that a nissan z would cost as much as these other highline cars? Well I like to put my money where my performance is? .....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :>
    "Who would ever imagine that a nissan z would cost as much as these other highline cars?"

Well, it is also a case of those other brands stretching DOWNWARD in price these last few years, offering lower base models.

The Z is a really sweet sport coupe but I wouldn't own one because of all the issues with alignment and tire wear that still don't seem to be fixed, even if they are now covered by Nissan as of '04. Also because the cockpit is way too claustrophobic and outward visibility is severely limited even by sport coupe standards.

Now, I would consider an RX-8, in which there seem to be no outstanding issues except the expected fuel economy/oil consumption associated with the rotary engine. Problem is, this car costs almost as much as a Z and is already outclassed in straight-line acceleration by sedans costing less. I generally like sporty cars that emphasize great handling over pure power, but I do like them to be a little faster than family sedans in their price range, at least for the first couple of years.

Out of "looks/handling/steering/braking/mpg/reliability" I will take the RSX over the Celica for looks, mpg, and reliability, to which I would add interior ergonomics and materials, ride, and manual shifter. But the Celica has the handling/steering/braking down perfect, that is for sure, and is the one aspect of the current Celica that is truly a bargain at the price.

We have similar ideas on these cars. I owned an 83' 93R-1,93touring,and 94 r-2 rx-7.Yes, 4 rx-7's in my life. 83 was good performance for its time,93touring and 93 r-1 were real fast as they were tt. 94 r-2 was even faster ,all had great handling but also questionable build quality. I drove the rx-8 and found that 238hp manual is ok but the weight of this rx-8 is just over 3000 lbs. The last rx-7 was only 2755 lbs and 255hp coupled with the fact that the turbos boosted the 5 more hps but more importantly torque. the quickest way to kill accel is to decrease torque and increase weight. Imagine the celica with 2800 lbs. Also agree about the celica having poor plastics,but for having plastics as they save weight.
    Other brands stretching downward is true as the SL500 Mercedes in 92 was around the same starting price it is now. If everything goes in this direction people will be able to lease a IS300 Lexus for the same price as a Corolla. Or at some point the regular brands will have to step down in price or start building way better quality . Then again, have you seen how bare bones they are making these entry highline brands?Then the options are packaged together expensive, so I guess they get you coming or going. Pay me now or pay me later.
    yeah...mainly, pay me now! :-P

I agree that the tt of the last RX-7 was much more effective in getting that car off the line, but they made it too expensive and fuel economy was abysmal. At least now the new car is within about 10% of its competitors like the Z on mpg, and totally comparable in price.

My only RX-7 ever was an '88 (non-turbo) and that car was a blast, but you certainly had to keep the engine spooling up as if it WERE a turbo to keep the power on. Below about 3000 rpm it had less power (seat of the pants feel) than the same vintage Celicas (I have had a few of those over the years) and was A LOT more expensive.

Current RX-8 has less peak torque (at a higher rpm) than a 4-cylinder Camry, with about as much weight. I have not driven one, but that fact alone does not encourage me to do so!

The inside of the new Celica (mine was an '02 GT) is perhaps the biggest disappointment of the whole car. So what did they do? They built the "Lexus of coupes", the Scion tC, called it the replacement for the Celica and dropped Celica in the U.S. The Scion is just shy of 3000 pounds. DON'T THINK SO! Indeed 160 hp in a car this heavy is going to be outclassed in a very short time by economy compacts - call it two years or so. The weight makes the handling plowy, so then where is the "sport" in this car?

The Scion tC is a very nice car in its own right, just no replacement for Celica.

I am thinking of the 350z as the replacement for my celica. Dont really like the weight or fit and finish of it but the interior plastics are bout the same . Also the design of the interior Celica is far superior to the z. Now torque wise the z is awesome but again we are talking 10k more dollars than the celica.Let me spend 10k $ on improvements to the celica and we will see which out performs which!!!So I think I will get the enthus trim on the z as i dont like leather and i have to get auto.The supra fantasy is not going to happen at least for the next 2 years. Maybe just maybe i will get an end of the year 05 gts celica.I ve had mine 2 years and might be ready for a change mine is auto and got GT instead of GTS because i believed there was not a difference when both were auto. Also heard that the torque and hp in the lower rpms of the gt were stronger due to the fact that the transmission ratios of the GTS were geared higher.So until i hit 6k rpm or higher i would be faster in the GT.Is this true? I would want to stay below 25k on the 05 GTS or i will just bump to the z for 30k. What do you think of this logic? Still looks wise interior and exterior i like the celica but 6 years in the same car might be a little too much for me.Did not get z yet for the tire and paint problems they still have for 04 and i am waiting to see if the 05s are fixed. Have you heard anything
    I thought there was no auto available any longer for the Celica GTS? I drove one of those a while back - the problem is NOT ONLY that the torque on the road is lower than the GT below 4000 rpm, BUT ALSO that the auto's gears are too widely spaced, so if you are using the valve-lift portion of the engine's power above 6200 rpm, it will drop out of lift at every upshift. Also, if you put the auto in auto-shift mode, it will upshift before the engine gets to redline, which is bad news considering the power portion of the engine's range is so narrow (a 1500 rpm spread). If you have to have an auto and cloth, I think it may be impossible to get a Celica GTS that fits the bill.

As to the question of power characteristics, it is true that the GT has more torque up to about 4000 rpm (making it better for around-town driving) but it peaks around 4200 if memory serves, and from there seat-of-the-pants power begins to drop off, whereas the GTS just continues to pull, with the surge in power coming at 6200.

This model is down to like 15K sales a year or less. If you are going to buy one at the end of the production run next year, I am sure you could get a really good deal on it even if you want a GTS. $22K or less is what I would pay at that point. But again, it will probably be impossible to buy one with cloth, and I think the auto is gone. That will also be the start of the third year for the Z, and I am sure you could get the base model then for $25K or so.

• suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I second nippononly's second point.

Those guys work hard at "upselling," and I've learned not to trust them.

Get a second opinion. One that is worth its salt.
    You might be right on the GTS being only stick and maybe even only leather.The 05's are just coming in now and I have not seen what my area will receieve as packages as different areas get different available options. I ran into that problem when I got mine, saw the JBL stereo and tried like hell to get it but found out that option was not slated for our ports. As for the Z , only the enthusiest trim has avail. auto and that trim is right at 29 and change, with spoiler m. flaps ,mats and door sill plate is 30k. Infiniti G35 coupe has 295hp and the z only has 287 or the annivers. ed. which I hear will be 305 hp will be my choices. Even though we always like to have the extra hp's I think the G35's softer susp.and longer body will really offset the 7hp's that I would need a 6-speed manual to achieve. Also I expect the anniver. Z to be very high in cost,probably only leather and 6-speed being necessary to get that 18hp. When do we get enough hp's:new vette 400hp,Z06 vette 500hp,MB SL65 604hp. I remember when the 92-96 vette was king at 300hp,then the [non-permissible content removed] cars started with those twin turbos and all hell broke loose. See the new MB SLK 350 0-60 5.4/5.5 , 7 speed automatic, 3.5 v-6 268hp.$51k and up ,pretty steep.For the 20 grand difference I will just have to out drive 'em in the Z.
    make it lighter, don't give it more power! At least that is my credo. Some of the Mercedes two-doors have topped TWO TONS now! How the HECK do they manage that?????

The Elise with the sweet Celica GTS engine (boosted ten hp) is under 2000 pounds. NOW you're talking! :-)

I have 3 dented rims. The pot holes are killing my car. The Michelin Pilots, btw, look alright-even the guy at Goodyear said they are bulletproof, or something to that effect.

I'm looking at ASA JS6 wheels at Tirerack. I don't want to change the characteristics of the car, but don't know much about wheels. I think the 40mm offset is similar to stock, any one know? I plan to have them mount and balance with Blizzak tires and drop them at my door. Your opinions and expertise are appreciated.

Where, oh WHERE can I get wipers cheaper for my GTS?

TX, John
  • corcor Member Posts: 27
    hey all,

i've got a quick question? i'm looking into buying a '91 GT-S w/auto trans and roughly 194k. recently when i went to look @ the car, upon start up it ran kinda rough. i'm not sure if it would need a tune up or new engine. no smoke from the rear, so i'm assuming the engine is fine, just needing some work. the car is a Goodwill donation that they are selling for like 1200.xx. having never owned a toyota product (only nissan and honda) i'm not sure of what to look for on a celica w/this amt of miles. any help/information would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks,
    -cor
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    At 194K miles the car could need quite a few things. The first thing that comes to mind is a valve job. That would cause rough running at idle. There are reasons people donate cars instead of trading/selling them. I highly recommend a compression test be done before you buy.
    I got some 6.5" OEM size steel rims from Tirerack, with slightly off-size 195/60QR-15 Blizzak tires. They said speed differential will be less than 1%.

There are 2 tires in 16", but this car is downright dangerous in winter, so I got what I thought would be the best tire, which only came in 15". Got a cheap torque wrench, and they said to maintain the OEM torque spec, since it is determined for stretching the shafts, and nothing to do with wheel type. They mount and balance this set, so I'll just bolt them on myself.

Although these tires wear quick, I should have done this previously. All the summer tires I've had on this car just slide across a snowy road. Ugh!
  • zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    Run from this car,run like the wind!No one donates a decent sporty car to charity that isn't a money pit.Your $1200 car could easily run twice that amount in repairs.Buy with your head,not your heart!
    donated his '86 GT-S to charity a couple of years back. It was still a daily driver but required MAJOR attention - needed $3000 in repairs if it needed a dime. Axles, P/S pump and hoses, about a hundred seals and gaskets, struts and brakes. The factory paint was shot on all the horizontal surfaces. If it weren't for the fact that the body was straight (no accidents) and the interior was in good shape, the car would have been totally worthless. As it was, it still wasn't worth the $3K in repairs, but it only had about 150K in miles, so if you picked it up for a few hundred at the auctions and could do most of the work yourself, it would make a decent project car.

• tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    My 91 GT has 185,500 on it. I expect to see 200,000 on it sometime in late spring.

I haven't driven a new tC, but I have seen several. Rear seat room looks nice, but at a cost to the hatchback area. I have heard that the blind spot is awful (but so is my car).

It's amazing that Toyota is going to kill the Celica, but you can have a Corolla XRS with the same engine. Remember the Geo Prism GSI sharing the same engine with the Corolla GT-S and MR-2?

I still think that Toyota is making a serious mistake killing off the Celica. This goes for the name and the image. After 2005, just think there is always a 2 door Echo in the Toyota lineup (unless the Scion xA takes over its market share). It looks like the Solara will win the new 2-door sales race (among Toyota).
    cruisers like the Solara are a very profitable niche for a small handful of car companies (mainly Toyota and Chrysler), so its future is assured for some time.

The Echo is going to be dead just as soon as Toyota can manage it. It never sold well, completely missed its intended target audience, and faced way too much competition in the subcompact segment that was all better-equipped at lower prices.

When Celica was first introduced decades ago, it was a bare bones coupe with decently sporty handling and engine for a low price. It was in a class of one. Nowadays, everybody and their mother makes their inexpensive cars well-appointed, and the sport coupe segment is well developed with many worthy entrants. And Toyota has developed into a highly regarded carmaker that can routinely charge a 10% premium on its car's stickers.

So, you have Celica trying to compete today with a 10% higher sticker in a flooded segment with well-appointed cars. I mean, almost $18K base price with wind-down windows? I happen to like wind-down windows but I know I am in a tiny minority on that one!

What is sad to me, since I happen to think Celica is a great nameplate, is that Toyota could pop out a tC, which is super-well appointed with a high-moderate power rating for its segment, for $16,5, but couldn't revise the Celica to be more competitive. What they should have done is increase power by 15-20% in the Celica, and load it up with features considered standard nowadays to carmakers like Hyundai and Ford (!!), and then keep the price the same.

But I am sure they felt they needed a sport coupe for the Scion brand, and probably didn't want to (a) call the next Celica a Scion; it has always been a Toyota, and (b) didn't want to have two models competing directly for what is a small market niche.

Interestingly, they may face this same dilemma when it comes time to revise the Matrix. Will they call the 2nd gen a Scion? That is what it should have been, but it predated the Scion debut by a year. Will they cancel the Matrix entirely and give Scion a new sport crossover? Or will they continue the Matrix as a Toyota?

Too bad marketing decisions limit our choices for great small sporty cars.

I am thinking of trading my 2000 GTS 6 speed for a 2004 GTO 6 SP. I tested it and the torque is awesome and the handling isnt bad but it is no match for the GTS. Totally different cars and each has its ggod and bad points. The GTO sits up a little higher and does feel more solid and has a bigger backseat.

Anybody dump their Celica and regret it?
    and DIDN'T regret it, if that helps. But I went to a similar car, not the opposite end of the spectrum, like the GTO. If I were looking at a car like that, I think I would save about $5K or more and get the new Mustang GT - similar acceleration to the '04 Goat (before they went to 400 hp for '05) I am sure, and probably better handling due to being smaller. Also less depreciation.

But they are having a really hard time sellling GTOs, so maybe you can get one for a steal.

What car did you get? The dealers are hung with 6SP GTO's and now they are almost 1 year old and really should be discounted more. Today I got a quote for $24,700 including the $3500 GMAC rebate.

Problem is my GTS will probably get $10K-12K on trade. I am having a hard time doing it - even if it was straight up price wise I would still having second thoughts. My 2000 is mint and looks new.
    at the time I wanted a Matrix so bad I could taste it, so I swapped the Celica (a one year old '02 model) for a Matrix. 18 months later I was so over that car, and now I have an RSX. This one's a keeper. :-)

What car did you get? The dealers are hung with 6SP GTO's and now they are almost 1 year old and really should be discounted more. Today I got a quote for $24,700 including the $3500 GMAC rebate.

Problem is my GTS will probably get $10K-12K on trade. I am having a hard time doing it - even if it was straight up price wise I would still having second thoughts. My 2000 is mint and looks new.
  • tlcmantlcman Member Posts: 220
    Hi all, I am a Toyota lover, and have been trying to find a car (with the help of my son) to help him purchase as a graduation present. Hes been looking all around and has about 5,000 to spend. Hes been to the SC lexus's decided up keep was to hefty, he likes the 1995 Saab 900 turbo... but like a typical swedish person those cars are picky and you dont know what you will replace. Then he came across the mid 90's celica and stuck on it. I was expecting him to find some drag racer, but since the GT 5 speed that he is trying to find only has 130 HP im a bit less worried. I too like the lines of this car, but thats besides the point. What kind of problems cn he expect to run into with this car, estemating around 100,000 miles. Lets say it has been properly maintained. Can any one help me here? Also are they a true dedicated sport coupe? can they hold there own in the world of bigger faster more powerfull cars? Also is there a limiter on the speed of this car? im not to worried about it but for example my honda had a speed limiter kick in at 125mph
    thanks
    -mike